Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As expected Fox drops out

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,348
    edited July 2016
    stjohn said:

MikeL said:

tlg86 said:

Theresa May has enough supporters to choose her opponent if she so wishes

But we would know that she'd have played that game. Not sure that would go down well.
    The game has already been played - and nobody is saying anything.

No way did Gove get 48 genuine votes.
    Mike L. Do you think they will play again in the next/subsequent rounds?
    I imagine so - and hope so.

May is a 75% chance to beat Leadsom.

May is a 99% chance to beat Gove.

Hence May supporters need to get Gove into the Final.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,792
    Clearly they don't know how to play this game.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,028

I haven't advocated a coronation, I wish the party members get a vote.

However we're at the point we're whomever finishes second is only supported by less than the third of the parliamentary party, as IDS and Corbyn can attest, that's a horrible place to be in

It's called democracy. Would either Heath or Thatcher have been deposed had the party membership of the time had a say ? We don't know.

IDS getting to the front two was anti-Portillo tactical voting, you know that and I know that. Had all three candidates gone to the membership, would IDS have won ? Probably not.

The circumstances of each election are different and each party has its own rules. At least you recognise the membership should have a say - why they shouldn't have five candidates to choose from rather than two (and use AV) isn't for me to say.

Democracy cuts both ways - it's up to the elected leader and the MPs to work together or, if that proves impossible, for the system to allow a challenge or a No Confidence vote. Labour's labyrinthine system causes its problem - at least with the Conservatives, the MPs can throw out a leader however popular said leader is with the membership (I mean you did it three times in thirty years so you've had plenty of practice).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

@BBCNormanS: Oh Lordy. Now Corbyn ally tells me "Bring it on you w*****s" Methinks this is definitely heading towards a showdown

Suggests Corbyn will contest, which is interesting enough.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Danny565 said:

I think Gove can do this*

*Make the final two

Do you think Gove or Leadsom has a better chance with the membership?

Surely Thatcher II will be more popular with the membership?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,147

JackW said:

Charles said:

@rcs1000 (or anyone else)

I've got to fly to NYC at short notice to have breakfast with someone on Friday.

Can you recommend anywhere decent? Would like it to be nice, but not flashy and reasonably discreet.

And cheap ?? :wink:
    Eat on the plane on the way over. :)
    Just gotta bag neighbouring seats for whoever he's having breakfast with :p
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Fox calls for "experience" to lead Britain...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,109
    Given Chilcot tomorrow, amusing Corbyn doesn't have a Shadow Attorney-General. #RememberLordGoldsmith

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/750389819902160901
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,725
    saddened said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

"Theresa May, the Tory leadership frontrunner, has reversed her stance towards EU citizens living in Britain, after her rivals accused her of treating them as “bargaining chips” in exit negotiations.
    In the first mis-step of her campaign to become prime minister, Mrs May found herself under attack for failing to guarantee the rights of EU nationals to stay in Britain, saying they would be “part of the negotiation” on Brexit."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a978bc7e-42c8-11e6-b22f-79eb4891c97d.html#ixzz4DYc9BPnz

Good. It should be made clear that we'd do everything we can to preserve the rights of EU citizens in the UK and Brits in the EU.
    Will Richard Nabavi be for turning too ?

So, to be clear, those people (mainly hard-core Leavers) criticising Theresa May and Philip Hammond for making the sensible point that the residence status of EU citizens will depend on the outcome of the outcome of the negotiation are saying that a Romanian who has been here four months and is now working in a hand car-wash has acquired a lifetime right to live here? And that that should remain true even if our EU friends don't extend the same courtesy to Brits living in their countries? Have I got this interpretation of 'getting control of our borders' correct?

Not sure about him, but I disagree with the u-turn. If I was a Brit living in France or Spain, I would be furious at such a cavalier and unnecessary depletion of our negotiating arsenal.
    Haven't read the article. Has she turned? It appears all she's done is say they'll be part of the negotiation.
    Ah same here neither have I. If that's the case then that's fine.

Would be a very early u-turn for a PM in waiting..
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,075
    John_N4 said:

ydoethur said:

I so wanted the first one out to be Gove. It would have felt positively cathartic to see him broken, humiliated and reviled.

It would also have given him a dim sense of how he made teachers feel every day for four horrendous years.

What - even in the long holidays they get? :)
    You mean the long holidays where we are working 50 hour weeks trying to get the new exam specs ready, somewhat complicated by the fact that the new textbooks to support them don't come out until December? Those long holidays?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    taffys said:

''Please give us the exact words used before and after the so-called reverse. Scraping the barrel methinks.''

Not to worry.

There will be hundreds of others to choose from when she gets the leadership.

I hope so. Anybody too stupid to realise when they make a mistake is too stupid to be leader.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    MikeL said:

Fox - next leader requires experience.

Suggests he's more likely to switch to Gove rather than Leadsom.

It’s a plug for May or Gove IMHO - and a poke in the eye for Leadsom.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,716
    John Craig just gave what I think was the worst piece of political insight I've ever seen on Sky News. Pretty much said it was now between May and Leadsom and the others didn't have a chance. Has he ever watched a Tory Leadership election?
  • Options

Given Chilcot tomorrow, amusing Corbyn doesn't have a Shadow Attorney-General. #RememberLordGoldsmith

Does that mean he has to read through 6million words then? :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

John_N4 said:

ydoethur said:

I so wanted the first one out to be Gove. It would have felt positively cathartic to see him broken, humiliated and reviled.

It would also have given him a dim sense of how he made teachers feel every day for four horrendous years.

You mean the long holidays where we are working 50 hour weeks trying to get the new exam specs ready, somewhat complicated by the fact that the new textbooks to support them don't come out until December? Those long holidays?
    Sounds like a one off event?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JackW said:

Charles said:

I've got to fly to NYC at short notice to have breakfast with someone on Friday.

Can you recommend anywhere decent? Would like it to be nice, but not flashy and reasonably discreet.

I'm happy to pay up when it's for someone else.

Just not on myself.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,094
    @Topping Yep - I realise this potentially needs to be part of hardball negotiations with the EU it doesn't need to be broadcast in a way to make EU nationals here feel unwanted.

Thanks for the acknowledgement.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,321

MikeL said:

Anyone seen odds on Gove making the final two?
  • Options

I'm not sure that it serves Andrea Leadsom's interest to claim that Theresa May really commands the support of 183 MPs.
    Yup, Leadsom's a bit rubbish at this
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,358

John Craig just gave what I think was the worst piece of political insight I've ever seen on Sky News. Pretty much said it was now between May and Leadsom and the others didn't have a chance. Has he ever watched a Tory Leadership election?

The Guardian is saying the same thing. Puzzling.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    taffys said:

When you read through the threads of the popular newspapers, nobody has a good word to say about Theresa May.

The more dismissive they are, the more up voted.

Just sayin'

Choosing May would be a massive error by the Tories. She's Britain's Hillary.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Don't be silly.

Corbyn won't read Chilcott himself.

He'll get someone literate to read it for him.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    A few different ways of looking at that. One is that May only poled 50% of the MPs.

She may not be far off her potential high water mark.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,074
    I wonder of Boris regrets not standing.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/750389819902160901

Don't be silly.

Oh I meant Trickett has to read through three copies of the report, one for each "hat"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,043

Sums it up really. How does Nick P and the other Corbyn apologists feel about this state of affairs? Labour are a bloody laughing stock.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

You can back it by proxy with 29.0 on the outright (Betfair)
  • Options

@BBCNormanS: Oh Lordy. Now Corbyn ally tells me "Bring it on you w*****s" Methinks this is definitely heading towards a showdown

BBCNormanS must have led a sheltered life to think the use of swear words makes something more likely.
  • Options

Ah a Shadow Cabinet of all the talentless...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,651

TOPPING said:

Theresa May should forget about tactical lending of votes for rivals and concentrate on amassing as big a tally as possible for the final round. She will be practically unopposable if she commands far more of the Parliamentary party than her nominal opponent in the last two and the membership would realise that now is not the time to succumb to Corbyn's Syndrome.

yebbut, the Party members are in a feisty mood..
    If they have gone collectively insane, that's their prerogative. A Prime Minister selected in such a manner would not last long. Governments don't have the luxury of oppositions of being able to perform Farewell Symphonies. And the government's majority remains just 12.

Corbyn guarantees a Tory government whoever they choose.
    The EU referendum shows that sometimes people vote against the status quo, even if the alternative is worse.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,070

TOPPING said:

Theresa May should forget about tactical lending of votes for rivals and concentrate on amassing as big a tally as possible for the final round. She will be practically unopposable if she commands far more of the Parliamentary party than her nominal opponent in the last two and the membership would realise that now is not the time to succumb to Corbyn's Syndrome.

yebbut, the Party members are in a feisty mood..
    If they have gone collectively insane, that's their prerogative. A Prime Minister selected in such a manner would not last long. Governments don't have the luxury of oppositions of being able to perform Farewell Symphonies. And the government's majority remains just 12.

Corbyn guarantees a Tory government whoever they choose.

No, he guarantees a non-Corbyn government. With politics shooting through the rapids right now, the Conservatives would be unwise to proceed on the basis that they will remain the only alternative to a Corbyn-led Labour.

Hmm. My guess would be a bigger Tory majority at the next GE as they'll pick up plenty of current marginals.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,046
    edited July 2016
    “I want to be able to guarantee the legal status of EU nationals who are living in the UK, and I am confident we will be able to do that,” she said.

“But we must also win the same rights for British nationals living in European countries, and it will be an early negotiating objective for the Government to achieve those things together.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-exclusive-theresa-may-demands-early-talks-on-britain-leaving-the-eu-a3288141.html
  • Options

BBCNormanS must have led a sheltered life to think the use of swear words makes something more likely.
    It does show the level of animosity in the two camps though....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,628
    edited July 2016
    80% now in from Australia

L/NP 70 ALP 67 Others 5
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/results/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

L/NP 79 ALP 67 Others 5

Is Chilcot counting the votes in Australia?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

I once flew to Frankfurt to meet with someone in the airport lounge (they had a connecting flight from Buenos Aires)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Didn't Heseltine get about 160 when he challenged Maggie?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

John_N4 said:

ydoethur said:

Sounds like a one off event?
    For last year (A level) this year (GCSE year one) and next year (GCSE year two)? Bit more than a one off, unfortunately.

And if I were in an LEA school, add the new KS3 National Curriculum to the year before. As it happened, I replanned mine anyway, but knowing what I'm doing (unlike Gove) I made a good job of it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

L/NP 79 ALP 67 Others 5

Why on earth do they STOP counting over the weekend??
  • Options

I'm not sure that it serves Andrea Leadsom's interest to claim that Theresa May really commands the support of 183 MPs.
    On the other hand, it negates any increase in May's vote in round 2. Leadsom's team can say it's not momentum, just tactical unwind.
  • Options
    One of the lessons of the EU Ref is that if you don't play with a straight bat you get bowled out.

Theresa May's supporters had better be very very careful here or they're going to be in the same predicament. If she's going to win she needs to do it by playing cricket.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

I once flew to Frankfurt to meet with someone in the airport lounge (they had a connecting flight from Buenos Aires)
    The bartender? :D
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

L/NP 70 ALP 67 Others 5

Yes, hopefully they will have a result by Christmas!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,043

taffys said:

When you read through the threads of the popular newspapers, nobody has a good word to say about Theresa May.

The more dismissive they are, the more up voted.

Just sayin'

Choosing May would be a massive error by the Tories. She's Britain's Hillary.
    Whoever wins is going to have the most awful premiership. Years bogged down in Brexit nonsense, economy in emergency ward 10, slashing public spending, angry voters when migration remains stubbornly high etc etc. This has to be the biggest poison chalice handed over in decades.

No wonder Boris thought he'd let someone else clear up his own mess - just like the good old Bullingdon days.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,781
    Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

May/Gove forecast is 4.2 with Betfair.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

L/NP 69 ALP 67 Others 5

Will that give adequate time for people mentioned in the result to correct any errors?
  • Options
    RobD said:

It does show the level of animosity in the two camps though....
    They must long for the halcyon days of Michael Foot...,
  • Options

Not so sure you're right there. Taking the moral high ground may stand her in good stead.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/750389819902160901

Don't be silly.

Oh I meant Trickett has to read through three copies of the report, one for each "hat"
    So he can read?

Is he unique on the Labour front bench or are there others that have survived the recent tsunami?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

L/NP 69 ALP 67 Others 5

Those remaining 20% will take forever to come in. The post seems to be a mess in Aus.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Choosing May would be a massive error by the Tories. She's Britain's Hillary. ''

100% agree.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,977
    If this were Labour, Fox would now be leader claiming a massive mandate.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Ah a Shadow Cabinet of all the talentless...
    A shadow cabinet of all the talons.
  • Options
    Why couldn't they just all vote 12345 and be done with it. This is the most tedious election format ever.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

You can back it by proxy with 29.0 on the outright (Betfair)
    Did see that one, looks good. I backed him at 8 a couple of weeks ago, seems sensible to top up a little at 29 on the basis it will come in somewhat if he's in the members' ballot.
  • Options

“I want to be able to guarantee the legal status of EU nationals who are living in the UK, and I am confident we will be able to do that,” she said.

“But we must also win the same rights for British nationals living in European countries, and it will be an early negotiating objective for the Government to achieve those things together.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-exclusive-theresa-may-demands-early-talks-on-britain-leaving-the-eu-a3288141.html

Happy with that.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Choosing May would be a massive error by the Tories. She's Britain's Hillary. ''

100% agree.

You mean she's on course to win a (November) general election?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,055
    taffys said:

100% agree.

That is exactly why she should get it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Why couldn't they just all vote 12345 and be done with it. This is the most tedious election format ever.

Don't give TSE any ideas of a pure AV election!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,856

One of the lessons of the EU Ref is that if you don't play with a straight bat you get bowled out.

Theresa May's supporters had better be very very careful here or they're going to be in the same predicament. If she's going to win she needs to do it by playing cricket.

I am still at the crease, though the bowling has been pretty hostile of late. And in case anyone doubted it, can I assure you there will be no ducking the bouncers, no stonewalling, no playing for time. The bowling's going to get hit all round the ground. That is my style.

- M. H. Thatcher, at the Lord Mayor's Banquet at Guildhall, 12 November 1990.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

L/NP 70 ALP 67 Others 5

Christmas this year or next?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,358
    Whether it matters or not, I am inclined to think Theresa did lend some votes to Gove. It's convenient that she got 165 votes - just a majority.
  • Options

taffys said:

100% agree.

You mean she's on course to win a (November) general election?
    Careless Hillary :lol:
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Charles said:

I'm happy to pay up when it's for someone else.

Just not on myself.

Selfless to the last .... dozen oysters .. :smile:

Enjoy your trip.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tyson said:

Remain campaigners received 199 votes

Leave campaigners received 130 votes

Dave:

"We're leaving Downing Street for the last time after six wonderful years, and we're very happy that we leave the United Kingdom in a very much more divided, polarised state than when we came here six years ago."
    We know every political life ends in failure. But few could exceed Cameron's miserable legacy at leaving Britain so right royally funked. Even Major's 1997 humiliation is looking miraculous by comparison, never mind Eden's hasty departure.
    I feel sorry for Cameron but at the same time it was his decision to gamble everything on the outcome of one single event.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    FBI recommends no charges be brought against Hillary Clinton
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fbi-completes-investigation-hillary-clintons-personal-email-server/story?id=40346712

So a woman PM and President could be elected by the end of the year
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's why they call it an "Exhaustive Ballot", my dear :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaustive_ballot
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Dave:

"We're leaving Downing Street for the last time after six wonderful years, and we're very happy that we leave the United Kingdom in a very much more divided, polarised state than when we came here six years ago."
    We know every political life ends in failure. But few could exceed Cameron's miserable legacy at leaving Britain so right royally funked. Even Major's 1997 humiliation is looking miraculous by comparison, never mind Eden's hasty departure.
    I feel sorry for Cameron but at the same time it was his decision to gamble everything on the outcome of one single event.
    Yep - he is the man who bears the main responsibility for Brexit.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Dave:

Gordon Brown has the best reputation of all C21 PMs.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

That's what I was looking for, thanks. On for an Ayrton.

More clicks than necessary to find some of these markets. Grr...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Sums it up really. How does Nick P and the other Corbyn apologists feel about this state of affairs? Labour are a bloody laughing stock.
    Once again, "Corbyn isn't doing well" is not the same as "there is someone else who would do better than Corbyn".

Especially when the alternative faction would all be following the Remain Campaign's playbook.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Dave:

I felt sorry for Cameron...but then I have been asked repeatedly by my Italian and European friends why did the UK put this to a plebiscite?
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    RobD said:

Why on earth do they STOP counting over the weekend??

They celebrate Christmas in the middle of Summer FFS. Don't expect anything there to make sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Fox calls for "experience" to lead Britain...
    Fox angling for a job under May but Fox supporters not going to vote for her.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,781
    Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

May has to come first - but that's in the bag.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Because that would make it AV, and Tories don't like AV ;)
  • Options
    ''I felt sorry for Cameron...but then I have been asked repeatedly by my Italian and European friends why did the UK put this to a plebiscite?''

Nigel Farage made sure that was the only way Cameron could achieve power.

That's how.
  • Options
    Diane Abbott doing her usual car crash on Sky
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Happy with that.
    Not what Id call a U-turn - unlike the other candidates she's also concerned about Brits in the EU.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interestingly Gove's price on Betfair hasn't changed at all since the result was declared. 28 before, 28 now.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

I'd put a link between the M23 and A23 half way along the nine miles, if only to allow traffic to keep moving slowly when there's a big accident on the motorway. I used to live on the M3 corridor, and I'll guess that during my time in the sandpit the traffic on the M25 between the M40 and M23 hasn't got any better!

Hyperloop is of course wishful thinking, for a large number of reasons, but we used to do stuff like that in the UK and should be supporting and developing new technology where possible.

Are we still expecting the runway announcement this week?

Mrt. Pit, I drove South down the M23 from the M25 the Sunday before last and the Northbound traffic was stationary from the M25 to Gatwick. No idea why, the M25 at that section was flowing freely and traffic was light. A nightmare for the people trying to get to Heathrow to catch a connection.

However, imagine the cost of putting in a link between the M25 and the A23 at the four and a half mile mark. It would be used not very much and it would cut across the most expensive, non-urban, real estate in the Country. to say nothing of the engineering problems (lots of downland at about that point. It could be done but not please at taxpayer expense.

Now an elevated Hyperloop train system between Gatwick and Heathrow I could see, provided again that the Taxpayer was kept out of it and the respective airport companies paid up.

As to the decision on where a new runway will be built I read in the Telegraph that it has been put back to the autumn.
  • Options
    So, 199 Tory MP's are remain. Add to that the Labour Party, the LD's, Gibraltar, the Nats, the entire House of Lords and Delia Smith.

And the leading Tory Brexiters- Leadsom and Johnson didn't believe in it.

I just don't get how this all went so horribly wrong.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Some Tories do like AV.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Dave:

Yes. I still think the gamble on the Scotland vote gave him confidence that he'd win the Brexit vote too. He got over-confident.
  • Options
    When asked if Farage could get a job in a May government:

"Absolutely not, no. There will be no deals with Ukip or anybody around Ukip.”

Unlike the UKIP candidate Leadsom.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

L/NP 70 ALP 67 Others 5

Christmas this year or next?
    Good question
  • Options
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Dave:

I felt sorry for Cameron...but then I have been asked repeatedly by my Italian and European friends why did the UK put this to a plebiscite?
    Because it lanced one boil (oh the irony) that had been eating away at the Conservative Party for ages.
    Because 4m voters and a very persuasive pressure group wanted it and that's how politics works.
    (Because he wouldn't have won the GE2015 without it.)
    Because the EU has become unrecognisable from the organisation that we voted, via referendum, to join in 1975.

None of which IMO makes Dave a failure for offering it in the first place.

Of course the voters got it badly wrong and Dave was out the door, for any number of reasons well-rehearsed on here, but them's the facts as I see 'em.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

MikeL said:

May has to come first - but that's in the bag.
    One hopes so. The money on next leader and PM markets was made over the past year in laying Osborne and Johnson - as tipped here many times above and below the line.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Neither do the British People :lol:
  • Options

Now an elevated Hyperloop train system between Gatwick and Heathrow I could see, provided again that the Taxpayer was kept out of it and the respective airport companies paid up.

For what purpose? Two separate airports will never be viable as a hub.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's nerdy and fun, plus it allows folk to reassess their support at each stage. It's therefore possible for vote tallies to go down as well as up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

L/NP 69 ALP 67 Others 5

Those remaining 20% will take forever to come in. The post seems to be a mess in Aus.
    It is beginning to seem like Bush v Gore 2000, even Gillard v Abbott 2010 had a result by this stage
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Happy with that.
    Not what Id call a U-turn - unlike the other candidates she's also concerned about Brits in the EU.....
    Yep I don't think any of us on here could have crafted a more appropriate comment on the matter.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    tyson said:

So, 199 Tory MP's are remain. Add to that the Labour Party, the LD's, Gibraltar, the Nats, the entire House of Lords and Delia Smith.

Because the Remain Campaign was utterly dire, and completely ill-suited to the current public mood.

Remain's message was "you've never had it so good, don't take the risk of economic chaos". On the contrary, many people in the real world feel they've never had it so BAD, and in many cases actually welcomed the prospect of blowing up the current economy, because whatever replaced it couldn't possibly be worse than the status quo.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Leave 17,410,742 (51.9%)
    Remain 16,141,241 (48.1%)
  • Options
    ''I just don't get how this all went so horribly wrong. ''

Easy. The three main parties offered the voters the equivalent of no choice on this issue. It was a political closed shop.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    BBC are doing the Corbyn story on R4 next week, think its Mon night at 8(check that) should be as much fun as I am sorry I haven't a clue.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Whether it matters or not, I am inclined to think Theresa did lend some votes to Gove. It's convenient that she got 165 votes - just a majority.

If she's crafty she will have lent a few to Leadsom too and call some back for next time. Last thing Leadsom needs is to get the same or fewer votes in R2.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Some Tories do like AV.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum,_2011
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

Not seen a Crabb surrogate yet. Considering pulling out?

His chances are "gossamer thin" but no need to pull out just yet......
This discussion has been closed.