Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As expected Fox drops out

Comments

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,588

Sandpit said:

She's lost the plot again..

She's morphing into Ann Coulter. Listen to the accent she's using now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHWjHKY4VJc
    Yet two days earlier she was on the Channel 4 Brexit debate with a standard RP British accent. Weird.
    Corby had a lucky escape, considering...
    Hmm the current guy is hardly much better.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    TOPPING said:

John_M said:
    @Charles will be incandescent.
    Nah, I understand that Mr Charles's people really do not like to deal with the riff raff.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    alex. said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I tend to take the view a high pound is not a symbol of the nation's virility, in fact it hits exporters and UK tourism so a relatively low £ for a short while is hardly a disaster

1) We haven't had a high pound for quite a while. A high pound is the Noughties £1=$2.1. Even the £1=$1.5 when the polls shut was pitiful.
    2) £1=$1.3 is not relatively low. £1=$1.3 is extraordinarily low.
    The statement also seems like a bit of a non-sequitur to me. A floating currency is one of the economy's automatic stabilisers. Of course a weak currency has some positive side-effects. That's the whole point! But when the currency is weak, the nation is by definition poorer.
    We're nailed on as the #6 global economy in dollar terms now. Still within spitting distance of France though. We'll get the buggers. India coming up fast on the rails, so we'd better enjoy it while we can.

Mind you, if you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for Italy. No appreciable economic growth for 16 years.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

TOPPING said:

John_M said:
    Nah, I understand that Mr Charles's people really do not like to deal with the riff raff.
    Coutts if owned by the taxpayer!!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    matt said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

@rcs1000 (or anyone else)

I've got to fly to NYC at short notice to have breakfast with someone on Friday.

Can you recommend anywhere decent? Would like it to be nice, but not flashy and reasonably discreet.

And cheap ?? :wink:
    Eat on the plane on the way over. :)
    Just gotta bag neighbouring seats for whoever he's having breakfast with :p
    I once flew to Frankfurt to meet with someone in the airport lounge (they had a connecting flight from Buenos Aires)
    We get it. You're jolly important.
    No. Quite the reverse. The sign of being important is when people come to you. I'm just a travelling salesman.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Sandpit said:

Yet two days earlier she was on the Channel 4 Brexit debate with a standard RP British accent. Weird.
    She's like Steve McCLaren.

Quick someone post that interview of the wally with the brolly and his faux Netherlander accent
    This one? :smiley:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhtq1ObGHy8
    RoyalBlue said:

Freggles said:

Oh, what fresh hell is this?

It's not even a mix of English and generic American, it's a mix between English and Noo Yawk Baybee!
    People with good ears pick up new accents quickly, those without don't.
    Steve McLaren: good ears

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sport/video-19957/Steve-McClaren-appears-fake-Dutch-accent.html
  • Options

TOPPING said:

John_M said:
    Yes, she's only a 'Mrs'. Mere hoi polloi.
  • Options
    Eh? Can anyone explain why the BBC are saying: "The three remaining contenders are due to face a second MPs' vote on Thursday, followed by a final round next Tuesday - unless any of the candidates has dropped out by that time - to whittle the field down to two."

Surely we only have one more round on Thursday and the bottom candidate is knocked out?
  • Options
    tyson said:

they don't pay a HS very much do they?

That is quite alot in dividends. Mine are shit in comparison.
    She still manages to pay more in tax than I earn gross.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I tend to take the view a high pound is not a symbol of the nation's virility, in fact it hits exporters and UK tourism so a relatively low £ for a short while is hardly a disaster

1) We haven't had a high pound for quite a while. A high pound is the Noughties £1=$2.1. Even the £1=$1.5 when the polls shut was pitiful.

The £ had a high of $1.577 over the last year
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/default.stm

Again, unless you are going on holiday to the states or you buy a lot of goods from the states why is a low pound against the dollar of great concern? It may also encourage more Americans to visit London and the UK and help sell more British goods to the US
    There are lots of imports we can't do anything about that are dollar denominated: whether the price of oil is $40 or $140, we'll use about the same amount. And the same is true (to a lesser degree, and I know there are substitution effects) of coal, natural gas and the like. Which means - ceteris paribus - that not only will your petrol bill rise, but so will your electricity and gas bill.

• Options

Eh? Can anyone explain why the BBC are saying: "The three remaining contenders are due to face a second MPs' vote on Thursday, followed by a final round next Tuesday - unless any of the candidates has dropped out by that time - to whittle the field down to two."

Surely we only have one more round on Thursday and the bottom candidate is knocked out?

They haven't updated their web site to reflect that two candidates have withdrawn.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RoyalBlue said:

Freggles said:

Oh, what fresh hell is this?

It's not even a mix of English and generic American, it's a mix between English and Noo Yawk Baybee!
    People with good ears pick up new accents quickly, those without don't.
    I speak French and Portuguese fluently with decent accents.

I lived mostly with Americans for 2 years and had less of an accent than Mensch in that clip.

You choose how you talk
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702
    Lol. So Angela will have to do the same
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,474

Sandpit said:

The roads are only a mile and a half apart, and there's already a couple of minor roads in the area that could be improved. Many people would have benefited from that the other Sunday.

I'd love to see some of our great scientists working on transport problems, it's not impossible to get a Hyperloop or Maglev up and running, and between the two busiest airports in the country would be an ideal place to start.

It seems we're scared as a country of developing new technology, preferring old and tested solutions to pushing the boundaries. Maybe we should ask the F1 teams for advise on how to push technological boundaries, they seem quite good at it from where I'm sitting.

Hopefully Mrs May will have the new runway as her first announcement as PM. We need to show the world we're open for business and that's a good starting point.

Fair go, Mr. Pit,/ On the wider idea of developing new technology, the Uk was once very good at this. However, consider the response of Mr. Jessop upthread - which in this context boils down to "it will never work". Yet Mr. Jessop is one of the few engineers we have on this site.

(Snip)
    TBF, I'm not an engineer any more, and I was never *that* sort of engineer. But I nearly was, and still have a keen interest in it.

I'm deeply cynical about Hyperloop. The costings seem rather optimistic, and the throughput of passengers per hour is low (from possibly-faulty memory, 1/10 of high-speed rail). The accuracy of the lines and levitation at the speeds they are going for will be amazing.

I reckon Musk sees it as a good transportation system for Mars (probably correctly), and is getting suckers to develop the tech here on Earth.

Mind you, Musk's proven me wrong before, damn him! ;)
  • Options

Indeed. We are in to sudden death....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,671
    And why does her bank have anything to do with her self-assessment?

Does that mean that Coutts acted as her accountant also?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,234
    edited July 2016

Yes, with only three candidates remaining there will not be a vote next Tuesday, only the one this Thursday which will give us the two names for the membership vote.
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    I don't really care how much politicians pay in tax. What I do love, however, is seeing which politician's I am richer than!

Alas I am still no where near Boris. Still I beat Cameron and I am 20 years younger than him and grew up in a council house, so I feel pretty smug all in.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Again, unless you are going on holiday to the states or you buy a lot of goods from the states why is a low pound against the dollar of great concern? It may also encourage more Americans to visit London and the UK and help sell more British goods to the US
    There are lots of imports we can't do anything about that are dollar denominated: whether the price of oil is $40 or $140, we'll use about the same amount. And the same is true (to a lesser degree, and I know there are substitution effects) of coal, natural gas and the like. Which means - ceteris paribus - that not only will your petrol bill rise, but so will your electricity and gas bill.

S&P were forecasting inflation to rise to 2.2% in 2017 (based on ~$1.29). That Mark Carney is a lucky sod, isn't he? He'll be the first BoE wallah to hit the inflation target since....I can't remember when.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    You'd be disappointed if you were another candidate hoping to publish only a year's tax returns...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,974
    Two more years than Gove
    Four more years than Leadsom
  • Options

Yes, now we are down to three there will only be one more round. There is no necessity to hold a round to select the final two when there are only two contenders.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

chestnut said:

kjohnw said:

Anyone know the England only percentages for leave/remain?

53.4-46.6 Leave (incl Gib)
    55.4-44.6 Leave (excl London)
    Thanks. The tories really can't afford to stitch up the referendum result or try to ignore it on the basis of England having a ten point lead for leave
    May will undertake Brexit but it will be Brexit lite, keeping us in the EEA and the single market, UKIP are so heavily pushing Leadsom partly for political advantage, they know she will almost certainly lose and they will then try and hammer May for alleged betrayal
    From what Ive heard from Leadsom on Climate Change and the issue of giving EU citizens the right to stay here before negotiations start, she appears to be quite Cameroon and May ought to be far more to their liking (both UKIP and Tory members)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,344

Two more years than Gove
    If you have them to hand, why not?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,781
    edited July 2016
    tyson said:

Deleted. (Posted in the wrong place).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

It's fantastic if you get paid in dollars but have a mortgage in Sterling :D

More seriously, it will encourage exports and inward tourism, might even encourage a few Brits to take local holidays rather than going abroad this summer. I paid £9 a pint yesterday in my local bar, so it will only be the rich British tourists that come here next winter if the exchange rate stays so low.
    £9 a pint! Good grief! Where is this Sandpit?

Good job Theresa May is teetotal with alcohol prices like that. By my calculations her net earnings after tax would limit her to just 23.5 pints a day. Hardly enough to see a Hague through to early evening.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Part of their wealth management service, no doubt.
  • Options
    John_M said:

They haven't updated their web site to reflect that two candidates have withdrawn.
    Thanks - typical Beeb - it's on the Crabb withdraws story though. Their web editors should have read the updated piece to the end before posting.

Still, The Independent website today on Ken Clarke's indiscreet remarks quoted him as saying Leadsom had a "poor line conversion" on the EU.

Can't get the staff these days.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    John_M said:

Delicious:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-is-totally-bankrupt-french-jobs-minister-michel-sapin-embarrasses-francois-hollande-with-8471077.html

Favourite part:

"There are even reports that Nicolas Sarkozy, the previous President of France, is preparing to move to London with his wife Carla Bruni for economic reasons."

Don't believe it for a minute. But it's a lovely thought.

Dated 2013
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,275
  • Options
    edited July 2016

John_M said:

Delicious:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-is-totally-bankrupt-french-jobs-minister-michel-sapin-embarrasses-francois-hollande-with-8471077.html

Favourite part:

"There are even reports that Nicolas Sarkozy, the previous President of France, is preparing to move to London with his wife Carla Bruni for economic reasons."

Dated 2013
    Oh my lord. I am sorry, that's a total clanger on my part. I normally check links very carefuly. I do apologise!

*edit Lesson learned: do not link to stories from Louise Mensch's twitter feed! She drags up all manner of ancient history. Still my fault though!*
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

George Eaton

Labour planning "peace talks", shadow cabinet minister tells me, likening it to Northern Irish disarmament process.

So it'll take about 10 years and only a Canadian general will really know if he's gone at the end of it?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The price at the pump for petrol is mainly tax as well so the government has the capacity to adjust the price if it chooses.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    ToryJim said:

tyson said:

Well join the Labour party, and get some more of it re-distributed your way.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

There have been plenty of significant rises in fuel and electricity and petrol prices over recent years, the impact of the exchange rate is not going to be a particularly significant one.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061

TOPPING said:

Part of their wealth management service, no doubt.
    The changes to dividend taxation will actually see her better off due to the perverse new £5k dividend allowance... basic rate taxpayers no better off...

She's also right in the 'sweet spot' for making additional pension contributions to minimise the damage of losing her personal allowance - 62% marginal rate of tax - needs to have a word with her wealth managers perhaps!!!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    And true. You can trash and bank and get sent down. You can trash the economy......and

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Jobabob said:

Was she ever in possession of the plot?
    What is interesting is that i am at the LGA conference and have met a lot if people who voted remain but would vote leave now after the ridicolous antics of the remainers over the last week.. These are both Tory and Labour.. The lib Dems i am not sure
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited July 2016
    Is Carney costing us dear? Mervyn King certainly seemed to have an inkling; this from a pre referendum Telegraph

The Treasury's report estimated that the British economy would be 6pc smaller by 2030 if Britons voted to leave the EU on June 23, than if the country were to remain a member.
    Lord King's successor, Mark Carney, said on Tuesday that he believed the economic techniques used to produce the report were to his mind an example of a "sound analytic process".

However, Lord King said that the issue of the EU's membership was a "big, big question", and one that "cannot be reduced, simply to the simple-minded level of a cost-benefit analysis".
    He continued: "I'm old enough to remember the referendum in Britain in 1975 on exactly the same issue. The one thing that both sides of the argument then were wrong about was that it would make a dramatic difference. It didn't.

IIRC King also said that Carney was wrong to have involved himself in such a sensitive debate, putting himself so clearly on one side of the argument. How right King was. Just as one would expect him to be as an old school central banker rather than a …… You supply your own description of Carney; I don’t trust myself to do so.

Carney, by implication if not explicitly, shat on Brexit from a considerable height, with the weight of a world renowned financial institution behind him. He claimed “duty”, in the face of accusations that he was serving the political needs of his political masters. The emphasis then of his own and BoE independence only served to compound the problem he created for himself (either wittingly or stupidly) when we voted Brexit.

Having put the fear of god into the markets regarding the consequences of Brexit, we now have the unedifying sight of him trying to undo the weight of his previous Project Fear message to the maximum extent possible, so that he can do now what he should have been doing then, reassuring the markets.

His self-fulfilling prophetic chickens have now come home to roost. Markets trade on sentiment. No one knows where the markets will be tomorrow but lots of people think (or pretend that) they do. Which Carney runes are to be believed, the pre or post referendum ones? Carney has greatly diminished his ability to serve the UK’s best interests in the matter of calming markets. Come back Mervyn.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Delicious:

Favourite part:

Dated 2013
    Oh my lord. I am sorry, that's a total clanger on my part. I normally check links very carefuly. I do apologise!

*edit Lesson learned: do not link to stories from Louise Mensch's twitter feed! She drags up all manner of ancient history. Still my fault though!*
    The telltale sign was that it quoted the French economy minister... and it was the old guy, not Macron.
  • Options

George Eaton

Labour planning "peace talks", shadow cabinet minister tells me, likening it to Northern Irish disarmament process.

So it'll take about 10 years and only a Canadian general will really know if he's gone at the end of it?
    It is so obvious the Corbynites in cahoots with Len and his chumps are playing for time.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Virtually everyone buys lots of goods in dollars. It's what oil is priced in.
    The cost of the average supermarket shop does not depend on the value of the dollar
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

More seriously, it will encourage exports and inward tourism, might even encourage a few Brits to take local holidays rather than going abroad this summer. I paid £9 a pint yesterday in my local bar, so it will only be the rich British tourists that come here next winter if the exchange rate stays so low.

Good job Theresa May is teetotal with alcohol prices like that. By my calculations her net earnings after tax would limit her to just 23.5 pints a day. Hardly enough to see a Hague through to early evening.
    Dubai, UAE. The only bars are in 4* and 5* hotels, and there's LOTS of tax on them. No direct income tax here though, so I think of it as being 40% cheaper really :wink: We also chase the happy hours around town, if you can call £6 a pint in any way happy - mildly amusing hour maybe!

Singapore is even worse, it's £12 or £13 a pint there now with the recent drop in the pound.

On the positive side, petrol in Dubai is 33p a litre!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

There have been plenty of significant rises in fuel and electricity and petrol prices over recent years, the impact of the exchange rate is not going to be a particularly significant one.
    We can devalue.. A lot if those poor countries in the Eurozone cant and they are stuffed!!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

George Eaton

Only a Canadian general will know if he's been assured that he's really gone, by showing him packed suitcases tightly locked and out of his reach
  • Options
    eek said:
    Dear okd Nick
    I recall him at an inlunch in the city before he went to Singapore as an insignificant little runt.

He didnt destroy Barings on his own.. One of the reasons he is quite well off is because of the people he protected..
  • Options
    timmo said:

eek said:
    Dear okd Nick
    I recall him at an inlunch in the city before he went to Singapore as an insignificant little runt.

He didnt destroy Barings on his own.. One of the reasons he is quite well off is because of the people he protected..
    He's practically penniless, I thought.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Yes certainly if you work for a US bank or law firm and live in London it is great news. As you say it will also boost exports which badly need a boost and will boost the UK tourism industry which will bring money into the economy on both fronts. Not many people will be booking breaks in Florida or New York for a few months, they may take a break in Bath or Cornwall instead
  • Options
    Why not publish the returns rather than a summary? That interest has dropped off a lot since the early years - obviously been stuffed somewhere
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Is Carney costing us dear? Mervyn King certainly seemed to have an inkling; this from a pre referendum Telegraph

The Treasury's report estimated that the British economy would be 6pc smaller by 2030 if Britons voted to leave the EU on June 23, than if the country were to remain a member.
    Lord King's successor, Mark Carney, said on Tuesday that he believed the economic techniques used to produce the report were to his mind an example of a "sound analytic process".

However, Lord King said that the issue of the EU's membership was a "big, big question", and one that "cannot be reduced, simply to the simple-minded level of a cost-benefit analysis".
    He continued: "I'm old enough to remember the referendum in Britain in 1975 on exactly the same issue. The one thing that both sides of the argument then were wrong about was that it would make a dramatic difference. It didn't.

IIRC King also said that Carney was wrong to have involved himself in such a sensitive debate, putting himself so clearly on one side of the argument. How right King was. Just as one would expect him to be as an old school central banker rather than a …… You supply your own description of Carney; I don’t trust myself to do so.

Carney, by implication if not explicitly, shat on Brexit from a considerable height, with the weight of a world renowned financial institution behind him. He claimed “duty”, in the face of accusations that he was serving the political needs of his political masters. The emphasis then of his own and BoE independence only served to compound the problem he created for himself (either wittingly or stupidly) when we voted Brexit.

Having put the fear of god into the markets regarding the consequences of Brexit, we now have the unedifying sight of him trying to undo the weight of his previous Project Fear message to the maximum extent possible, so that he can do now what he should have been doing then, reassuring the markets.

His self-fulfilling prophetic chickens have now come home to roost. Markets trade on sentiment. No one knows where the markets will be tomorrow but lots of people think (or pretend that) they do. Which Carney runes are to be believed, the pre or post referendum ones? Carney has greatly diminished his ability to serve the UK’s best interests in the matter of calming markets. Come back Mervyn.

The weasel words are right at the start. He says '6% smaller in 2030'. What he means is '6% less than the OBR's long term forecast'. He deliberately phrased it to sound as if the economy would shrink in absolute terms. That's pretty shitty in my view. In other words, we drop about .4% of trend growth by Brexit.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    tyson said:

George Eaton

It is so obvious the Corbynites in cahoots with Len and his chumps are playing for time.
    And why not. It's a week since the mass resignations and despite all the talk, no-one has come forward with a formal challenge despite the numbers being there to nominate three alternatives. It is a ludicrous position and Corbyn would be mad having survived this far not to be preparing rule changes at conference to enable his side to strike back. The MPs must know that so why haven't they launched their bid? (Because they can't find someone to head it but that too is frankly absurd).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

chestnut said:

kjohnw said:

Thanks. The tories really can't afford to stitch up the referendum result or try to ignore it on the basis of England having a ten point lead for leave
    May will undertake Brexit but it will be Brexit lite, keeping us in the EEA and the single market, UKIP are so heavily pushing Leadsom partly for political advantage, they know she will almost certainly lose and they will then try and hammer May for alleged betrayal
    From what Ive heard from Leadsom on Climate Change and the issue of giving EU citizens the right to stay here before negotiations start, she appears to be quite Cameroon and May ought to be far more to their liking (both UKIP and Tory members)
    Leadsom has opposed free movement for future migrants though and has made past statements against the minimum wage and promised to slash regulation
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Dubai, UAE. The only bars are in 4* and 5* hotels, and there's LOTS of tax on them. No direct income tax here though, so I think of it as being 40% cheaper really :wink: We also chase the happy hours around town, if you can call £6 a pint in any way happy - mildly amusing hour maybe!

Singapore is even worse, it's £12 or £13 a pint there now with the recent drop in the pound.

Join the rugby club. Spent many a night tired and emotional there, for considerably less than hotel prices.
  • Options
    tyson said:

ToryJim said:

tyson said:

Well join the Labour party, and get some more of it re-distributed your way.

I think I'll pass.
  • Options
    timmo said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

We can devalue.. A lot if those poor countries in the Eurozone cant and they are stuffed!!
    Yes, even if voters suffer a little short term lost in income they have made their decision that they would at least rather be in control
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

chestnut said:

kjohnw said:

Leadsom has opposed free movement for future migrants though and has made past statements against the minimum wage and promised to slash regulation
    She wanted to scrap all employment legislation for micro businesses...no SMP no SSP no working hours...nothing !
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Football Trivia -

The 4 teams left in the 2016 Euro championship Germany.France,Wales and Portugal.

Engand has beaten all four in the last 12 months -

17 nov 2015 Engand 2 - 0 France

26 mar 2016 Germany 2 - 3 England

2 june 2016 England 1 - 0 Portugal

16 june 2016 England 2 - 1 Wales.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061

Why not publish the returns rather than a summary? That interest has dropped off a lot since the early years - obviously been stuffed somewhere
    or coming out of fixed rate deals paying 5% and facing buttons % instead - it's pretty common.... presumably stuffing ISAs too. Looks like there's a portfolio of shares/funds outside the tax wrapper too seeking to use the CGT allowance most years... very sensible.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Join the rugby club. Spent many a night tired and emotional there, for considerably less than hotel prices.
    But then are you not stuck all night with a bunch of Tory twat rugger buggers?

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I am currently re-reading a very good book on Mao's great famine during the late 50's to early 60's. The language used against people that in any way opposed this is so similar to the language used by the twitterati that abuse anyone that opposes Corbyn within the Labour party it is scary.
    They are creating a party within a party and a language only they use, call someone a Blairite during an election campaign as an insult and most people will just look at you gone out. Like you had asked them how the microwave works or why Justin Bieber is a thing.
    The old guard left is back, the guard that proper Labour men and women have opposed for decades, the kind of people that thought Stalin was maligned and a good comrade really.
    Depressing state of affairs.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,354
    stjohn said:

YMMV - Your mileage may vary? You make me vomit?

Your Mileage May Vary. See https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/your_mileage_may_vary
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Another perplexing evening. Went to the AITO (indy tour operators) summer BBQ in a very dulcet and sunlit Grays Inn. This is, for those not in my industry, people selling foreign holidays to Brits.

In that light, and with regard to the £, I expected despair. Instead there was some generalised tutting about Brexit, but otherwise they were quite relaxed.

Maybe the free and slightly crap wine was swaying them, maybe they haven't quite grasped the ENORMITY, but their attitude was surprising. These are smart people, working in an industry which is uniquely susceptible to currency shocks (and changes in spending power). They seem mildly agitated but not alarmed by Brexit.

Someone will be proved very wrong, quite soon.

Nobody is saying it's going to be a disaster Sean, bar the usual noisy social media warriors.

Even the government's own reports (c.f. Project Fear) weren't saying it was going to be a disaster.

We can screw it up (and we've made a goodish start), sure. But I imagine those clever people might have read some of the financial reports that the banks and institutes produced.
  • Options

tyson said:

George Eaton

And why not. It's a week since the mass resignations and despite all the talk, no-one has come forward with a formal challenge despite the numbers being there to nominate three alternatives. It is a ludicrous position and Corbyn would be mad having survived this far not to be preparing rule changes at conference to enable his side to strike back. The MPs must know that so why haven't they launched their bid? (Because they can't find someone to head it but that too is frankly absurd).
    Last I heard the problem wasn't finding someone, but that now BOTH Eagle and Smith want the gig. Smith suggested they both go to formal arbitration to resolve what is apparently becoming a heated disagreement between them, but today Eagle has refused. Honestly, you couldn't have made up the mess they are in - as a plot for a novel it is completely incredible. And even if they resolve which of them will make the challenge, neither of them has any sort of national profile or obvious voter-appeal, and neither of them is any more likely to be in touch with the mass of disgruntled labour core voters than are the corbynites!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Delicious:

Favourite part:

Dated 2013

The telltale sign was that it quoted the French economy minister... and it was the old guy, not Macron.
    Eurozone imports have been rising in the last few months, could we benefit in any significant way with a more competitive pound.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

timmo said:

eek said:
    Dear okd Nick

He's practically penniless, I thought.
    Really!!

All i know is that a lot of London locals owe Mr Leeson a lot of gratitude after his help on stop losses over the earthquake..
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

That doesn't contradict what I said.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I think it was Orwell that suggested dropping a bomb on Twickenham during the Varsity match. He reckoned it would set back fascism in the country by 3 generations.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, there are a few exceptions for members clubs and hotels in the old town which are cheaper, but unless you're out for a session you'll only spend the savings on the cab home. The old rugby club was a great night out, as is the annual Sevens tournament.
  • Options

tyson said:

George Eaton

Who are the three? I have the mighty Eagle; thingy, the Welsh guy with specs who looks like a clerk, whose the third?

• Options
    tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

You're proving my point about you not being a nice person.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Yes. Their life savings are in a currency that doesn't lose its value. Appalling.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

That doesn't contradict what I said.

That is nearer $1.6 than $1.5
  • Options

tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I think it was Orwell that suggested dropping a bomb on Twickenham during the Varsity match. He reckoned it would set back fascism in the country by 3 generations.
    Good stuff. And dwarf throwers. I think the one thing worse than being stuck in a room with rugger buggers...I've been unfortunate to go into the wrong pub occasionally in Oxford, but coked up City boys in suits. They are worse, if possible.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

John_M said:
    Why? If someone is happy with the service that RBS provides, let them bank there.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

stjohn said:

Thanks. I'm learning stuff tonight. More than £10 for a pint is ridiculous IMHO, but YMMV.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not many people will be booking breaks in Florida or New York for a few months, they may take a break in Bath or Cornwall instead

For the person who wanted to go to Florida or New York, that is not a good thing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

chestnut said:

kjohnw said:

She wanted to scrap all employment legislation for micro businesses...no SMP no SSP no working hours...nothing !
    Yes she is certainly the candidate of the right
  • Options
    saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Comrade, spend a sober night in a pub with a bunch of pissed up rugger buggers. You might change your tune.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,943
    This Brexit thing is not going terribly well.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Delicious:

Favourite part:

Dated 2013

Eurozone imports have been rising in the last few months, could we benefit in any significant way with a more competitive pound.
    It's consumer and business sentiment that's more at issue than the currency (yes, it's important).

UK GDP is around £1.8 trillion. Annual exports are around £460 billion, of which around 45% go to Europe. That's ~£220 billion. Call it about 11% of our GDP. A lot of UK economic activity is domestic.

Same back-of-the-fag packet calculation: ~32 million in work, ~ 3.4 million jobs associated with the EU. Call it 10% of the workforce. Horribly simplistic, supply chains are complex etc. It'll do.

EU is a big deal, but it's not the only deal. We need the trade to pay our way of course. It's just a simple way to keep things in perspective.

What we need right now is for people to carry on consuming, businesses to keep on investing. Convincing them to do that might be a challenge given some of the rhetoric we've seen.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

tyson said:

George Eaton

Who are the three? I have the mighty Eagle; thingy, the Welsh guy with specs who looks like a clerk, whose the third?

I think the point is that thefe are enough MPs to have a third.

Running both Eagle and Smith against Jezza turns it into a proper contest rather than a coup. Sounds good to me. It is by AV so not at risk of splitting the vote.
  • Options

Two more years than Gove
    IIRC, same as Cameron.

holding herself to the equivalent standard.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lol. So Angela will have to do the same
    Or, rather, to make Angela consider:

Option A: publish four years of tax returns, face all sorts of unwelcome scrutiny on all manner of 'interesting' family financial arrangements, then lose the election and take your chances on whether May is willing to give you a job, or:

Option B: keep your financial affairs nicely under wraps, and pull out of the contest in return for a promise of a worthwhile role.

Despite the amazing indecision and flakiness she has displayed over the last week, even Leadsom shouldn't take too long making her mind up between these two, surely?
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

w.

Good stuff. And dwarf throwers. I think the one thing worse than being stuck in a room with rugger buggers...I've been unfortunate to go into the wrong pub occasionally in Oxford, but coked up City boys in suits. They are worse, if possible.
    Stereotype much? You genuinely amuse me. Most of the stuff you pontificate about, you are guilty of. What's even funnier is you are completely oblivious to it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

This Brexit thing is not going terribly well.

It would have helped if they had had the foggiest notion of what the hell they were doing.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,352

tyson said:

George Eaton

What sort of 'changes at conference' would Jez have in mind? Installing a mechanism to allow the leader to deselect on a whim?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Another perplexing evening. Went to the AITO (indy tour operators) summer BBQ in a very dulcet and sunlit Grays Inn. This is, for those not in my industry, people selling foreign holidays to Brits.

In that light, and with regard to the £, I expected despair. Instead there was some generalised tutting about Brexit, but otherwise they were quite relaxed.

Maybe the free and slightly crap wine was swaying them, maybe they haven't quite grasped the ENORMITY, but their attitude was surprising. These are smart people, working in an industry which is uniquely susceptible to currency shocks (and changes in spending power). They seem mildly agitated but not alarmed by Brexit.

Someone will be proved very wrong, quite soon.

If you are selling foreign holidays to rich people then the exchange rate should not affect them, they will still pay for their fortnight in the South of France in the summer and their week in the Indian Ocean or the Caribbean in the winter even if the price goes up because they can still afford it. If however you sell cheap package holidays to the Costa Del Sol and Florida you may be more affected as your customers will be less likely to afford foreign holidays which are significantly more expensive than they used to be and will go to Blackpool or Wales instead
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Virtually everyone buys lots of goods in dollars. It's what oil is priced in.
    The cost of the average supermarket shop does not depend on the value of the dollar
    ISTR we import most of our food.
  • Options
    tyson said:

saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Comrade, spend a sober night in a pub with a bunch of pissed up rugger buggers. You might change your tune.
    I have on hundreds of occasions, I don't have a problem talking to soldiers, brick layers, lorry drivers, vets, policemen, unemployed lads and a multitude of others. Why do you, comrade?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

timmo said:

Yes. Their life savings are in a currency that doesn't lose its value. Appalling.
    Ahem. The Euro has depreciated considerably against the dollar since 2012. Currencies float. It's what they do. Or are we ONLY going to use the £? If so, carry on.

One of the UK's many issues is that 46% of UK households have less than £1,500 in savings. Robert will probably jump in and quote some ghastly savings rates stats if he feels moved to.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,662
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

George Eaton

Last I heard the problem wasn't finding someone, but that now BOTH Eagle and Smith want the gig. Smith suggested they both go to formal arbitration to resolve what is apparently becoming a heated disagreement between them, but today Eagle has refused. Honestly, you couldn't have made up the mess they are in - as a plot for a novel it is completely incredible. And even if they resolve which of them will make the challenge, neither of them has any sort of national profile or obvious voter-appeal, and neither of them is any more likely to be in touch with the mass of disgruntled labour core voters than are the corbynites!
    There's an easy way of resolving it though - they both put their names forward on the understanding that whoever gets the most support from MPs drops out in favour of the other.

The issue of national profile isn't that important at this stage - Corbyn didn't have a lot either when he first stood. It comes over time. Nor can you judge their voter appeal until voters have been exposed to them, but at least you can say that neither is currently voter toxic so that at least is an improvement over what we have now.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

viewcode said:

stjohn said:

Thanks. I'm learning stuff tonight. More than £10 for a pint is ridiculous IMHO, but YMMV.
    ROFLMAO... :)
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2016
    6/30-7/4
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 41% Trump 40%
    Morning Consult
    http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/morning-consult-24822
  • Options

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

George Eaton

There's an easy way of resolving it though - they both put their names forward on the understanding that whoever gets the most support from MPs drops out in favour of the other.

The issue of national profile isn't that important at this stage - Corbyn didn't have a lot either when he first stood. It comes over time. Nor can you judge their voter appeal until voters have been exposed to them, but at least you can say that neither is currently voter toxic so that at least is an improvement over what we have now.
    I agree Corbyn can't ever win a majority under FPTP, but voter-toxic is too strong; he does at least have a small slice of the Bernie effect. Labour support, at least prior to the EUref, hasn't collapsed, after all, it's just bobbing along at Miliband-type levels.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,089
    viewcode said:

timmo said:

Given a choice between chronic unemployment and currency fluctuations, it's pretty obvious that the latter is more desirable. For most of us, the value of what we earn or save in $ terms is not of great significance.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

6/30-7/4
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 41% Trump 40%
    Morning Consult

Linky?
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:
    Why? If someone is happy with the service that RBS provides, let them bank there.
    I use Adam & Co (which is a subsidiary of RBS), and I've been very happy.

Should I need a mortgage to trade up to something slightly more spacious, I'll be sure to talk to you first :)
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

6/30-7/4
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 41% Trump 40%
    Morning Consult

Linky?
    http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/morning-consult-24822
This discussion has been closed.