Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next Chancellor of the Exchequer betting

Comments

• Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Now Gove finding out what it's like to be knifed live on TV .... by Andrew Marr.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,404
    surbiton said:

Tories here: why did Boris not stand ? I believe the rules require only two backers, am I right ?
    Or, did he really believe that he should be crowned with acclamation.

He didn't stand much chance of winning. It may have become clear to him and he decided not to face that career-ending humiliation.

But we will never know the real reason as only Boris knows and even if he admits it to himself he's not somebody whom we can trust to tell it like it was.

I can see historians fifty years from now writing endless unreadable articles on why he did it and slanging each other off like schoolchildren with no prospect of ever being right or wrong.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

I'm think that PM May will swap Hammond and Osborne and put Grayling into the Home Office that she vacates.

Leadsom becomes SoS BREXIT. Crabb stays in place. Fox remains on the backbenches and is joined by Brutus. Boris to Party Chairman. SOS for Scotland, Wales and NI to be combined as SOS Devolved Admins and net +1 Cabinet new dept spot.

Three cabinet vacancies at Energy, Justice and Leader of the House with others possible from any Cabinet ministers retiring or sacked.

They will not need to worry about SOS for Scotland for much longer.
    "SOS for Scotland"

Help ... send more turnips !!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    surbiton said:

Tories here: why did Boris not stand ? I believe the rules require only two backers, am I right ?

He is regretting it now but he seems to have been very hurt and stunned by his betrayal. It is a shame but hopefully he will be brought into the cabinet in some senior position. However I would not have voted for him
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Scott_P said:
    This was Boris's chance. I find it hard to envision scenarios where he'll become PM: if Cameron's replacement wins in 2020 it'll probably be another few years before the position'll be open. If they lose in 2020, they'll be looking for someone sensible to lead the party through opposition, and there'll be plenty of the 2010/15 intake who have their own ambitions and experience by that time. He's yesterday's man. Thankfully.
    Boris will continue what he is best suited for. A National Treasure, panel show host and broadcaster. He has dodged a bullet.
    A person who brings down the entire edifice, and then just runs away as if nothing had happened, is not really to be described as a "national treasure", Dr Fox.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557
    JonathanD said:

DavidL said:

chestnut said:

May's comments this morning sound really weak and insipid. Not good enough.

I personally find her dull, authoritarian and old fashioned I am hoping she is going to surprise me but I fear not. Cameron and Osborne looking more impressive in retrospect already.
    Yes, in happier days May was always dismissed as a long term PM prospect because of this. How she'll manage to deal with any real difficulties as PM I can't imagine and 4 weeks of her on the GE campaign trail probably won't secure the party a majority. Still it's what the Tory party voted for when they defenestrated Cameron.

I think Osborne will stay as CoE however to steady the ship in in the short term and to act as a shield for May when the economy goes south.
    If that is the sum of their talent , May and Osborne, we would be better with Corbyn.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,982
    Mr Dancer, rain has eased off a bit, the track is drying out and they may end up on slicks by the end of the 28 lap race. 11 laps to go.

The track is in a rather mountainous region of Austria, does appear to have its own little ecosystem so it's difficult to forecast rain too far in advance.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,644
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

No... But if the referendum result is essentially ignored by Mrs May chances are both Labour and Tories will collapse across the country in 2020.... And Farage will be the beneficiary.

The voters have put the political class on notice. What the politicians do next is up to them but the voters are watching and waiting...

What part of May intoning BREXIT means BREXIT passed you by ?
    I believe the problem stems from that some people (such as me) are saying the only thing the result definitively said was Leave, and we'll get that, everything else is on the table. Others feel that specifically the VoteLeave prospectus was endorsed (I would argue it is impossible to calculate to what extent, and in any case the government is for all people, not just the winners) and thus having FOM or the like would be 'ignoring' the result's intentions (if not ignoring what the question actually said). It is true any deal with any amount of FOM will piss off an almighty large number of voters.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,194
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

No... But if the referendum result is essentially ignored by Mrs May chances are both Labour and Tories will collapse across the country in 2020.... And Farage will be the beneficiary.

The voters have put the political class on notice. What the politicians do next is up to them but the voters are watching and waiting...

I just can't get over the suspicion that she'll try and kick this whole thing into the "long grass".

Clarke and Hezza are championing her cause for a reason...

But maybe not. We shall see.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Anyone know?

@neiledwardlovat: Was it not Andrea Leadsom who approved a huge loan to Bearings right before they crashed????
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Scott_P said:
    This was Boris's chance. I find it hard to envision scenarios where he'll become PM: if Cameron's replacement wins in 2020 it'll probably be another few years before the position'll be open. If they lose in 2020, they'll be looking for someone sensible to lead the party through opposition, and there'll be plenty of the 2010/15 intake who have their own ambitions and experience by that time. He's yesterday's man. Thankfully.
    Boris will continue what he is best suited for. A National Treasure, panel show host and broadcaster. He has dodged a bullet.
    A person who brings down the entire edifice, and then just runs away as if nothing had happened, is not really to be described as a "national treasure", Dr Fox.
    Not THE Dr Fox, surely? Our fellow poster is far too witty and erudite to be a failed politician!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Michael Gove is a non-starter. And if the Conservatives choose Andrea Leadsom they will be choosing someone who simply isn't yet ready for primetime. She was far too wooden and far too slow on her feet.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

What is the feeling among PB Tories / PB Burleys on Liam Fox?

Shall we set up a campaign group on here?

Still enjoying your time as a PB Tory?
  • Options
    @paulhutcheon: Wow. Michael Gove was against the Good Friday Agreement #marr

Oh dear
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

htps://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/749494792531406848

Mr Clipp, the EU as a political edifice remains, however the UK is leaving it - that is all.
  • Options

DavidL said:

chestnut said:

May's comments this morning sound really weak and insipid. Not good enough.

I personally find her dull, authoritarian and old fashioned I am hoping she is going to surprise me but I fear not. Cameron and Osborne looking more impressive in retrospect already.
    May is the Tory party reaching for the Valium in these anxious times. The Mogadon woman.
    I am amazed we actually agree for once.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Anyone know?

@neiledwardlovat: Was it not Andrea Leadsom who approved a huge loan to Bearings right before they crashed????

No. 100% guarantee she never loaned cash to Bearings.

It may have been made to a bank called Barings, of course.
  • Options

surbiton said:

I’m not a Tory, but was it the prospect of an humiliation that even he couldn’t laugh off?
    I think it's as simple as he didn't think he had the MP numbers to get into the final two without Gove, so didn't even bother to try, which is pretty spineless.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,957
    That was a great Andrew Marr for Theresa May.

Also what planet was Len McCluskey on?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2016
    Birmingham referendum results by parliamentary constituencies

Erdington 63% Leave 37% Remain
    Northfields 61.8% Leave 37.8% Remain
    Yardley 60.1% Leave 39.9% Remain
    Sutton 52% Leave 48% Remain
    Hodge Hill 51.5% Leave 48.5% Remain
    Perry Barr 51.2% Leave 48.8% Remain

Edgbaston 52.7% Remain 47.3% Leave
    Selly Oak 53.1% Remain 46.9% Leave
    Ladyhood 64.4% Remain 35.6% Leave
    Hall Green 66.4% Remain 33.6% Leave
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    malcolmg said:

Looking at the front pages what a horrible bunch of people permeate the top of the Conservative Party. They need reminding that more than a year ago they were elected to govern, the PM has acted like a spoilt child, his sidekick has vanished after yet another u-turn and now senior figures are busily knifing each other front and back.

Meanwhile the country has spoken and expects the govt to act accordingly, what a useless, self serving mob they are.

Why do people keep saying 'the country has spoken'? It may have muttered a bit and indicated that it wasn't sure, really.
    You obviously not clear that over 50% in a FPTP election means the people have spoken, you don't win just a little bit , it is black and white. You seem to think we are in a banana republic.
    Over 37% in a FPTP election is apparently a strong mandate to govern.

Although that does seem to imply you're wrong and the UK is a banana republic,
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Gove is the preferred candidate of both Carswell and Hannan

I though Hannan was not concerned, obsessed at least, with immigration, and Gove was promising hard line on that?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

The other factor -- which may be why some Conservatives are pressing for a coronation, is how many votes the losing leadership candidates attract. It is not just Leave and Remain that must be considered when balancing the different wings of the party in Cabinet.

As an aside, do we know (or is there betting on) when David Cameron will leave the Commons? Tony Blair left the House immediately on handing over to Gordon Brown.

Next election I'd imagine. Unless there's a big international job in a few years but I expect he will wait it out.
    On the other hand, it must be frustrating to be a backbencher after being PM.

It's actually quite a nice role. You get an office in central London, a platform to speak from and the Whips have no power over you so you can do what you like (in practice you usually end up paired) so no late nights.
    Plus, so long as you're not Gordon Brown, you get paid large sums for being the headline speaker at various business events.
    That's a given, of course. I was just thinking of the benefits of a fully paid for central London office :)
  • Options

That was a great Andrew Marr for Theresa May.

Also what planet was Len McCluskey on?

Both of them were great interviews for May.

*in my best bad German Fawlty Towers accent* 'however did zey vin?'
  • Options
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

The other factor -- which may be why some Conservatives are pressing for a coronation, is how many votes the losing leadership candidates attract. It is not just Leave and Remain that must be considered when balancing the different wings of the party in Cabinet.

As an aside, do we know (or is there betting on) when David Cameron will leave the Commons? Tony Blair left the House immediately on handing over to Gordon Brown.

Next election I'd imagine. Unless there's a big international job in a few years but I expect he will wait it out.

It's actually quite a nice role. You get an office in central London, a platform to speak from and the Whips have no power over you so you can do what you like (in practice you usually end up paired) so no late nights.
    you forgot , unlimited expenses, susidised champagne and great working hours.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2016
    malcolmg said:

Looking at the front pages what a horrible bunch of people permeate the top of the Conservative Party. They need reminding that more than a year ago they were elected to govern, the PM has acted like a spoilt child, his sidekick has vanished after yet another u-turn and now senior figures are busily knifing each other front and back.

Meanwhile the country has spoken and expects the govt to act accordingly, what a useless, self serving mob they are.

Why do people keep saying 'the country has spoken'? It may have muttered a bit and indicated that it wasn't sure, really.
    You obviously not clear that over 50% in a FPTP election means the people have spoken, you don't win just a little bit , it is black and white. You seem to think we are in a banana republic.
    Glad you reject the 45ers nonsense. Referendums on national sovereignty should be a once in a lifetime kind of thing as Salmond wisely opined. The sovereign will of the people should be respected, you can't play ducks and drakes with it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

I’m not a Tory, but was it the prospect of an humiliation that even he couldn’t laugh off?
    I think it's as simple as he didn't think he had the MP numbers to get into the final two without Gove, so didn't even bother to try, which is pretty spineless.
    That’s what I meant.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Scott_P said:
    I wonder if Boris is regretting his refusal to pay the tax he owed and give up his US citizenship. It would have given him a place to hide out,
  • Options
    So after triumphant outings on national TV by the leading Brexiteers, I am still not seeing their cheerleaders up and about this morning...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Listening to Andrea Leadson on Marr, I genuinely believe she is useless.

Due to her content or delivery? I'm reserving judgement in her because the one performance I saw her give she was functional but underwhelming. Which is fine, but i do t see where the fervour of some of her supporters is coming from. Reminds me a bit of Corbyn - he has a good voice and a sort of quiet dignity, in a way, but the things he says and said during his leadership campaign were utterly standard at best, but people went nuts tor it.
    She used the phrase " I genuinely believe" at least twenty times. She spoke of the "sunlit uplands". It was without content. She is presentable and appears confident most of the time but her political inexperience and lack of depth shone through.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear

I don't know if Gove has a Wee Free background but he certainly has a lot of very extreme Scottish presbyterian values. Those seem to drive him more than anything else.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

She is presentable and appears confident most of the time but her political inexperience and lack of depth shone through.

She has no "bottom"...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Isn’t there a pension as well? Or is that only when one leaves Parliament?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

What is the feeling among PB Tories / PB Burleys on Liam Fox?

Shall we set up a campaign group on here?

Still enjoying your time as a PB Tory?
    Yes - it's been a rocky first year but I am beginning to think that I have been welcomed into the fold...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The Lead in Leadsom rhymes with the soft dull metal for a reason.

Leadsome: (def) having the properties of a dull base metal.

Gove is a better choice. I admire his ruthlessness.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Don't forget that in a FPTP election the successful candidate also has to represent those who didn't vote them.

If you assume that a "100% Brexit" position is WTO, then the fact that the vote was 52/48 between that an "Remain" means that you need to look for a compromise position between the two.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Chuckling at the pb tories slagging off potential leaders, you'll vote for whichever mannequin is wearing the blue rosette.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,978
    Leadsom another really committed Leaver then:-

From the Indy

"The junior energy minister, who is also emerging a serious contender in the Conservative leadership contest, said in a recording three years ago at the Hansard Society’s annual parliamentary affairs lecture that she was going “to nail my colours to the mast here”.
    In the recording, obtained by the Mail on Sunday, Ms Leadsom added: “I don’t think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving."

I don't think any of them expected to win, it's all about internal Tory party manoeuvring
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

I just can't get over the suspicion that she'll try and kick this whole thing into the "long grass".

May is a pragmatist not an ideologue.

A successful BREXIT = a lengthy May premiership.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

He didn't stand much chance of winning. It may have become clear to him and he decided not to face that career-ending humiliation.

But we will never know the real reason as only Boris knows and even if he admits it to himself he's not somebody whom we can trust to tell it like it was.

I can see historians fifty years from now writing endless unreadable articles on why he did it and slanging each other off like schoolchildren with no prospect of ever being right or wrong.
    The NYT article linked earlier was interesting. Apparently after Gove's move only 46 out of their 100 pledges remained loyal. And I could see more of those falling away as he lost the "inevitable" crown
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

She does have integrity and she will exit Europe.

I am concerned that the more extreme Brexiteers will damage their cause if they continue with their demands for a Brexiteer PM, as I believe that would not meet with the need to consider not only the 52% but the 48% who voted remain and will do everything to try to stop the process.

Cool determined heads are needed to ensure our exit and certainly Farage should be kept miles away from involvement.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,239
    Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Today lots of people — me included — are suggesting there should be a second vote on this whole Europe business, but we’re told by people in suits that this is not possible. And when we ask why, they say: “Because you just can’t.”

Why not? Where in the constitution does it say we must abide by the result of a plebiscite, no matter how moronic that result might be? It doesn’t say that. It doesn’t say anything in fact because we don’t really have a constitution in Britain. So we can do what happens to be sensible at any given moment. And what is sensible now surely is to hold a vote when everyone is equipped with the most powerful tool in the box: hindsight.

Of course this would infuriate millions of idiotic north of England coffin-dodgers who are prepared to bankrupt the country simply because they don’t want to live next door to a “darkie”. Many will write angry letters full of capital letters and underlining to their local newspapers. And there will be lots of discontent in various bingo halls, but who cares? They’ll all be dead soon anyway.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news-review/our-only-hope-is-a-second-vote-and-a-truly-rotten-pm-ss3ptqwn5

What a foul man.
  • Options
    Ok, we have seen the dilettantes

Now the serious candidate is on Peston
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Lowlander said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:
    I wonder if Boris is regretting his refusal to pay the tax he owed and give up his US citizenship. It would have given him a place to hide out,
    I think he paid up in the end. He still has an escape route!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    ydoethur said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:
    Not THE Dr Fox, surely? Our fellow poster is far too witty and erudite to be a failed politician!
    My political activities are at the ballotbox and in the hospital. Where there is people there is politrix!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Today lots of people — me included — are suggesting there should be a second vote on this whole Europe business, but we’re told by people in suits that this is not possible. And when we ask why, they say: “Because you just can’t.”

Why not? Where in the constitution does it say we must abide by the result of a plebiscite, no matter how moronic that result might be? It doesn’t say that. It doesn’t say anything in fact because we don’t really have a constitution in Britain. So we can do what happens to be sensible at any given moment. And what is sensible now surely is to hold a vote when everyone is equipped with the most powerful tool in the box: hindsight.

Of course this would infuriate millions of idiotic north of England coffin-dodgers who are prepared to bankrupt the country simply because they don’t want to live next door to a “darkie”. Many will write angry letters full of capital letters and underlining to their local newspapers. And there will be lots of discontent in various bingo halls, but who cares? They’ll all be dead soon anyway.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news-review/our-only-hope-is-a-second-vote-and-a-truly-rotten-pm-ss3ptqwn5

Clarkson's tantrum is exquisitely enjoyable. Thanks for sharing it, Scott. It made my day even better.
    It is just what you would expect from that odious buffoon, easy for a thick millionaire to insult ordinary people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Anyone know?

Yes, but.....

Two weeks later, there were murmurs through the markets of huge derivative losses in Barings’ Singapore office. I asked Barclays’ dealers if they could find out more and called Barings’ FD. He was unavailable, but later that day called me to ask for a large drawdown on a standby loan facility we had for them. I asked him outright – was there any truth in the rumours we were hearing – he answered outright – no, absolutely none. So after much discussion with Barclays’ credit department, we lent the money.

Within a week, it was clear the rumours were true and Barings was in deep trouble. I was about to leave the office for the weekend – 6pm on Friday evening – and a call came through from Andrew Buxton’s office (then Chairman of Barclays). My team and I spent the weekend in the office, working for Andrew Buxton and Eddie George, then Governor of the Bank of England, on two themes:

What was Barclays’ total exposure to Barings?

Could a consortium of banks be pulled together to underwrite Barings’ losses and thereby avoid its collapse?

There were around 20 financial institutions all working round the clock responding to the Governor’s attempt to save Barings. In the end, it proved impossible simply because over those 48 hours the potential losses could not be quantified and no financial institution would take the risk, either by buying Barings, or underwriting the losses.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2009/08/andrea-leadsom-the-lessons-about-banking-regulation-which-we-must-stay-with-us-from-the-collapse-of.html
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Don't forget the pension rights...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    chestnut said:

Mr. Chestnut, what's she said?

The quotes in the Telegraph.
    Here is her quote:

The Telegraph asked all five candidates whether they will “promise to end free movement and cut net migration to the tens of thousands”.

Mrs May says she would set out her “negotiating principles in more detail in the coming weeks”.

“There is clearly no mandate for a deal that involves accepting the free movement of people as it has worked until now,” she says. “We must regain more control of the numbers of people who come here from Europe, and reduce the numbers that come from outside Europe too. We need immigration to be sustainable and I think net migration in the tens of thousands is sustainable, but it is going to take time.”

What is "weak and insipid" about that? Which phrase? That it is going to take time?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Don't forget that in a FPTP election the successful candidate also has to represent those who didn't vote them.

Where do people get this nonsense from?

There is no obligation whatsoever on a succesful candidate to represent anyone, their voters or not. And there is no method for unhappy constituents to boot out failing representatives before the next election.

Obviously there is a self-preservation mantra whereby a candidate that wants to win again might want to build an electoral base. But FPTP deliberately marginalises votes so they are meaningless and minimise the requirement for candidates to support everyone in their constituency.

In reality FPTP works exactly opposite to the naive and childlike way you seem to view it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,982
    edited July 2016

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

It was mentioned last week somewhere that Cameron had, on taking office, declined the traditional pension paid to former PMs and Speakers, which was 50% of salary for life. Can't imagine that he will ever struggle for income somehow, three or four speeches a year will pay him more than he's earning now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Michael Gove is a non-starter. And if the Conservatives choose Andrea Leadsom they will be choosing someone who simply isn't yet ready for primetime. She was far too wooden and far too slow on her feet.

She is being hugely overhyped. Apparently on the basis of the fact that she could speak coherently in a debate. FFS! The bar ought to be higher than that. Her CV is average, frankly. And I think that she would be far too dependant on others who will use her.

And someone who - according to the Telegraph - is pitching herself as the next Maggie simply does not understand what a divided nation we have and that the role of the PM is to find a way of reconciling this divided country while respecting the result. A monumental task. I don't see - based on what I have seen and heard so far - that she is up to this task.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:
    Perhaps in January we can look forward to the inauguration of President Trump and Vice President Boris.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,312
    Can see five years of fudge if May is elected leader ^^;;;
  • Options

Hammond is the only one on that list with any sense of numbers.

We do fish in a fairly shallow puddle for our politicians.

Why are you ignoring Leadsom as someone with a sense of numbers?
    Scared.

I am not an expert but there's an outside chance that May won't win and will therefore by given COTE isn't there?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,285
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

May may be popular with the Blairites in the parliamentary party, but that won't be the case in the country

There will be an explosion of fury out there in six months when precisely nothing changes,as it hasn;t during May's six year tenure as Home Secretary, when as David Mellor said she ducked every major issue and turned into McCavity when things went wrong.

She is the opposite of what voters want, as the conservatives will very quickly discover to their enormous cost.

And Corbyn is what the voters want .. really really want.

:smiley:

If Labour replace Corbyn with a half credible leader and May takes the UK into EFTA she could get a Turnbull like result in 2020 largest party in a hung parliament with UKIP having about 10 or more seats. May is also compared to Merkel, of course in Merkel's first election in 2005 she failed to beat Schroeder outright and it was a hung parliament there too
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    OllyT said:

Leadsom another really committed Leaver then:-

From the Indy

"The junior energy minister, who is also emerging a serious contender in the Conservative leadership contest, said in a recording three years ago at the Hansard Society’s annual parliamentary affairs lecture that she was going “to nail my colours to the mast here”.
    In the recording, obtained by the Mail on Sunday, Ms Leadsom added: “I don’t think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving."

I don't think any of them expected to win, it's all about internal Tory party manoeuvring

Ms Leadsom gave her side on that on Mr Marr's programme this morning. Annoyingly I was making a cup of tea at the time, so I missed a bit.

I think her line is:
    1. Remark is taken out of context
    2. Circumstances/EU have changed.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

If you assume that a "100% Brexit" position is WTO, then the fact that the vote was 52/48 between that an "Remain" means that you need to look for a compromise position between the two.
    We can no longer be a member of the EU.

But we have to find the solution that most people are happy with. That's probably EEA+EFTA rather than any bespoke deal - especially if it's sold to the British public as a temporary deal (even if it then turns out to be as temporary as income tax).
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

chestnut said:

Here is her quote:

The Telegraph asked all five candidates whether they will “promise to end free movement and cut net migration to the tens of thousands”.

Mrs May says she would set out her “negotiating principles in more detail in the coming weeks”.

“There is clearly no mandate for a deal that involves accepting the free movement of people as it has worked until now,” she says. “We must regain more control of the numbers of people who come here from Europe, and reduce the numbers that come from outside Europe too. We need immigration to be sustainable and I think net migration in the tens of thousands is sustainable, but it is going to take time.”

What is "weak and insipid" about that? Which phrase? That it is going to take time?
    Not answering your question (I think she's right) but that quote suggests she will do a deal on FoM - no mandate for FoM "as it has worked until now"
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Also another reason why Michael Gove shouldn't be backed, he's got a powerful and ruthless enemy against him.

Sir Lynton Crosby's rage on Gove's duplicity “On a scale of one to 100, I’d say 928.”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,285
    Lowlander said:

Scott_P said:

Oh dear

I don't know if Gove has a Wee Free background but he certainly has a lot of very extreme Scottish presbyterian values. Those seem to drive him more than anything else.
    Yes have to say I was humbled by Gove's statement on Marr he knifed Boris because he put his country before personal relations, his values are clearly beyond question.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning GIN, I think you are right to be concerned, she is a Tory after all so it is almost certain she will be thinking how she can help her millionaire bellend chums by any devious nasty Tory scheme possible.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Charles said:

Where do people get this nonsense from?

There is no obligation whatsoever on a succesful candidate to represent anyone, their voters or not. And there is no method for unhappy constituents to boot out failing representatives before the next election.

Obviously there is a self-preservation mantra whereby a candidate that wants to win again might want to build an electoral base. But FPTP deliberately marginalises votes so they are meaningless and minimise the requirement for candidates to support everyone in their constituency.

In reality FPTP works exactly opposite to the naive and childlike way you seem to view it.
    There is no obligation for anyone to do their job, and no ability to sack anyone with a fixed 5 year contract in any walk of like. So your point, such as it is, is utterly fatuous and a waste of time.

I take a Burkean view of the role of a MP
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,164
    edited July 2016
    ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

Listening to Andrea Leadson on Marr, I genuinely believe she is useless.

Her question on tax returns was a Hacker 'no, alright, yes' moment. Didn't it occur to her she might be asked it and have her answer ready? Clear sign of inexperience.

Len McCluskey sounding as mad as that loathsome Rachel 'lots of people support Corbyn' Shami.
    Maybe she can just as easily be persuaded to (return to) support our EU membership! Nixon in China and all that.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

She is being hugely overhyped. Apparently on the basis of the fact that she could speak coherently in a debate. FFS! The bar ought to be higher than that. Her CV is average, frankly. And I think that she would be far too dependant on others who will use her.

And someone who - according to the Telegraph - is pitching herself as the next Maggie simply does not understand what a divided nation we have and that the role of the PM is to find a way of reconciling this divided country while respecting the result. A monumental task. I don't see - based on what I have seen and heard so far - that she is up to this task.
    The choice is between a cast of nobodies and comic singers, god help the country if this is the best we have.
  • Options
    Another vote for May...

@NadineDorriesMP: #Peston @pestononsunday Hi guys, it's @andrealeadsom for me. It is for lots of us declaring next week. We are spoilt with great choice.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

Don't forget the pension rights...
    gold plated as well with bells on and humungous amount of holidays
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

chestnut said:

Here is her quote:

This is a subject she should know thoroughly, yet she is unable to state exactly what she would do, other than waffle on about it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Scott_P said:

Anyone know?

Yes, but.....

Two weeks later, there were murmurs through the markets of huge derivative losses in Barings’ Singapore office. I asked Barclays’ dealers if they could find out more and called Barings’ FD. He was unavailable, but later that day called me to ask for a large drawdown on a standby loan facility we had for them. I asked him outright – was there any truth in the rumours we were hearing – he answered outright – no, absolutely none. So after much discussion with Barclays’ credit department, we lent the money.

Within a week, it was clear the rumours were true and Barings was in deep trouble. I was about to leave the office for the weekend – 6pm on Friday evening – and a call came through from Andrew Buxton’s office (then Chairman of Barclays). My team and I spent the weekend in the office, working for Andrew Buxton and Eddie George, then Governor of the Bank of England, on two themes:

Could a consortium of banks be pulled together to underwrite Barings’ losses and thereby avoid its collapse?

There were around 20 financial institutions all working round the clock responding to the Governor’s attempt to save Barings. In the end, it proved impossible simply because over those 48 hours the potential losses could not be quantified and no financial institution would take the risk, either by buying Barings, or underwriting the losses.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2009/08/andrea-leadsom-the-lessons-about-banking-regulation-which-we-must-stay-with-us-from-the-collapse-of.html

And if that's all the due diligence that was done by her / Barclays, it's an utter fail on their part, even by the standards of the time.
  • Options
    So far the interviews this morning are showing up the yawning gulf in class

...between Marr and Peston.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Another 2 Tory women have had a very good EUref.are Amber Rudd,who started the ball rolling on the stop Johnson campaign,called out Farage and admirably,she wants to know whether the candidates deny anthropogenic climate science as agreed by 97% of science.Credit too to Anna Soubry for calling out Farage's racist poster.Farage is yet to apologise nor condemn increased hate crimes.It's time he did.
    A 50-50 gender split in cabinet before Labour could give the impression the Tory party really is a one-nation party.
    I hope May is able to select without ageism.It is rampant ageism in the PLP that needs an independent enquiry-victimising the Leader is proof of this.Again,the Tories can win points off the opposition by having a zero-tolerance policy on ageism.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:
    Perhaps in January we can look forward to the inauguration of President Trump and Vice President Boris.
    I'm hoping Mr Trump will be reach out to hispanic voters by adopting the title of El Presidente Trump. Perhaps adopt a flattering cream military uniform too.

I think they might have to create a custom role for Boris. Head of Amtrack, and Secretary of the Navy? He could brainstorm in the bath.

• Options

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

We can no longer be a member of the EU.

But we have to find the solution that most people are happy with. That's probably EEA+EFTA rather than any bespoke deal - especially if it's sold to the British public as a temporary deal (even if it then turns out to be as temporary as income tax).
    Yes: EEA+EFTA with a deal on FoM [that preserves the principle for the Europeans, but reduces the numbers - especially of unskilled workers should do it]. If it were Free Movement of Labour vs Free Movement of People that should do it.
  • Options
    Did Leadsom really say she could be the next Thatcher? Bold to do that, I thought it was the done thing to never claim the mantle oneself but to let others do it for you.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

ToryJim said:

as Charles said a gold plated one
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    What I most enjoy about Tory leadership elections is that each round is a fresh contest. And public declarations of support are meaningless given it's a secret ballot.

There's so much scope for stitching a rival up with faux claims of support. And once the bottom candidate is out, we start all over again!

We've 5 runners - so that's Tues/Thurs to eliminate two, then Tues to arrive at the final members choice. The timings are perfect for PB discussion

And on Wednesday - for variety we'll have Chilcott :smiley:
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2016
    FPT:
    SeanT said:

The country doesn't want full-on LEAVE. 48.2% voted REMAIN. It was not a landslide. Nowhere near. It was a very slender majority for OUT

A skilful politician (and let's hope May is that, as she looks likely to be PM) will take account of this and steer us to some kind of EEA arrangement, where REMAINERS get the consolation of the EU Single Market, plus all those pan-European science/education programmes which everyone likes. And at the same time LEAVERS know we have LEFT.

The breaking point is going to be Free Movement. Of course. Somehow May has to square that fiendish circle. Good luck to her.

This is a very odd view, but seems to be the party line for "Well off Professionals with expensive houses and nice pensions for EEA". When the Tories won by 50.7 percent of the seats in parliament did they say that on balance they better adopt a lot of Labour policies just to keep the rest of the voters happy ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Mr. Eagles, the same (about duplicity) could be said of Septimius Severus.

For that matter, the First Crusaders felt let down by Alexius Comnenus when a city they'd been besieging (I forget which) surrendered to him instead of them [probably a wise move, frankly].
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Anyone know?

Yes, but.....

And if that's all the due diligence that was done by her / Barclays, it's an utter fail on their part, even by the standards of the time.
    Hey, she asked the Financial Director and he said it was fine, what more do you want? :)

Obviously in all seriousness I haven't the slightest clue what proper practice would look like, but it's fun to laugh at politicians again.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Did Leadsom really say she could be the next Thatcher? Bold to do that, I thought it was the done thing to never claim the mantle oneself but to let others do it for you.

Nobody else would do it for her...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Anyone know?

Yes, but.....

Depends on the terms of the standby facility, surely?

If Barings had the right to draw on it then they would have been damn sure to reject the request (especially if it was to precipitate the collapse of the firm)

NB: I've never play in the RCF/standby market so don't know their standard terms (especially as it was in the 90s).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So after triumphant outings on national TV by the leading Brexiteers, I am still not seeing their cheerleaders up and about this morning...

They know you will be on bumping your gums and so having a lie in.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Anyone know?

Yes, but.....

Shush. You'll enrage the PB supporters of Leadsom. She's good with numbers you know.
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited July 2016
    May claims that she will appoint a Brexiteer to lead a dept negotiating Leave. This is a serious cop out---a ducking of the PM's responsibility. If she wants to be in command, she has to do the difficult herself. Nobody expects her to do the clerking, but the she cannot delegate the main issue of the day.

And this is her problem. If her heart is not in, the UK will finish up with a poor deal. cf DC...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

The choice is between a cast of nobodies and comic singers, god help the country if this is the best we have.
    They're applying to replace David Cameron, not Margaret Thatcher.

• Options
    Is May going for a Clinton sort of approach - uncharismatic, questionable competence, sense of entitlement to the victory, but probably going to win on the basis that you know what you're getting, she's probably the safest hands available regardless, and, well, the opposition?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Glad you reject the 45ers nonsense. Referendums on national sovereignty should be a once in a lifetime kind of thing as Salmond wisely opined. The sovereign will of the people should be respected, you can't play ducks and drakes with it.
    That is more like your normal mince Monica
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Anyone know?

Yes, but.....

And she admits as much. It was clearly a very important experience for her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Nobody else would do it for her...
    Amusing, but I'm sure that's not true - you can't be a Tory woman being talked about as a potential leader without someone saying Thatcher.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, the same (about duplicity) could be said of Septimius Severus.

For that matter, the First Crusaders felt let down by Alexius Comnenus when a city they'd been besieging (I forget which) surrendered to him instead of them [probably a wise move, frankly].

Nicea.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

Leadsom's quote on Thatcher: - “As a person, she was always kind and courteous and as a leader she was steely and determined,”

“I think that’s an ideal combination – and I do like to think that’s where I am.”

Make of that what you will.
  • Options

May claims that she will appoint a Brexiteer to lead a dept negotiating Leave. This is a serious cop out---a ducking of the PM's responsibility. If she wants to be in command, she has to do the difficult herself. Nobody expects her to do the clerking, but the she cannot delegate the main issue of the day.

And this is her problem. If her heart is not in, the UK will finish up with a poor deal. cf DC...

The PM shouldn't make themselves responsible for everything. A department dedicated to the UK-EU deal is a sensible thing, and politically it would have to be headed by a Leave advocate.
  • Options
    @andyburnhammp: I have shadowed both Gove & May. No question in my mind who's the better politician & person. Hope the Tories go for Gove.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    kle4 said:

She didn't - she said she compared herself to no-one but herself.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406

May's claims that she will appoint a Brexiteer to lead a dept negotiating Leave. This is a serious cop out---a ducking of the PM's responsibility. If she wants to be in command, she has to do the difficult herself. Nobody expects her to do the clerking, but the she cannot delegate the main issue of the day.

I disagree. The negotiations are going to take a very long time and should be a full time job. The idea that a PM could do that as well as leading the Government seems daft to me.

Of course in the end she will be responsible for the final deal just as she is responsible for the actions of all her minsters in any department. But she certainly needs someone formally designated to lead the negotiations whether a Leaver or Remainer previously.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

She didn't - she said she compared herself to no-one but herself.
    Following the script then - allow others to make the comparison.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    edited July 2016
    As an aside, I'm running out of shelf space, which means I've, naturally, discovered many books I want to buy [may be doing a giveaway of books in the future]. One which seems very good value is an Asbridge history of the Crusades [NB plural, not just book on the First Crusade], which is just over £8 but 800 pages long.

Edited extra bit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crusades-War-Holy-Land/dp/1849836884/
  • Options

No

As she just made clear, Brexit is not the PMs only job. She wants to govern the whole country for the whole country, not just Peter Bone and Bill Cash
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She was asked a question.
  • Options

You want to keep the principal out of the room. Standard negotiating tactic.

Front line will be professional negotiators

Second line will be the Brexit Minister

Third line will be the PM
This discussion has been closed.