Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next Chancellor of the Exchequer betting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next Chancellor of the Exchequer betting

Ladbrokes have put back up their market on the next Chancellor of the Exchequer, given recent events whomever becomes Prime Minister will likely be appointing a new Chancellor, although there are stories that were Michael Gove to become Prime Minister, he’d retain George Osborne as Chancellor.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    YES WE MAY
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Put me down as a May-be....
  • Options
    TSE makes a persuasive case for Grayling as CoE.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    That logic is sound. I May bet on it, if I can sort a Ladbrokes account.
  • Options
    RIP Michael Cimino.

One day, I will get round to watching Heaven's Gate.
  • Options
    I'm think that PM May will swap Hammond and Osborne and put Grayling into the Home Office that she vacates.

Leadsom becomes SoS BREXIT. Crabb stays in place. Fox remains on the backbenches and is joined by Brutus. Boris to Party Chairman. SOS for Scotland, Wales and NI to be combined as SOS Devolved Admins and net +1 Cabinet new dept spot.

Three cabinet vacancies at Energy, Justice and Leader of the House with others possible from any Cabinet ministers retiring or sacked.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    edited July 2016
    But but but ... Chris Grayling has no experience in finance! He's a career politician. How can we have a chancellor with no knowledge of £$£?

Andrea Leadsom oozes city and fiscal experience.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I'm think that PM May will swap Hammond and Osborne and put Grayling into the Home Office that she vacates.

Leadsom becomes SoS BREXIT. Crabb stays in place. Fox remains on the backbenches and is joined by Brutus. Boris to Party Chairman. SOS for Scotland, Wales and NI to be combined as SOS Devolved Admins and net +1 Cabinet new dept spot.

Three cabinet vacancies at Energy, Justice and Leader of the House with others possible from any Cabinet ministers retiring or sacked.

Will Boris' heart be in it for Party Chairman though? If he still has ambitions - and he's going to need to prove Gove was wrong if so - then Party Chairman is a good place from which to do it. Although, I'd rather he was beating the drum for UK plc, moving forward with trade deals around the world as a Minister for International Trade. That could be a very solid base from which to show what he can achieve. If he can show he is good at it, it could reap great rewards for Britain. Knuckle down for a few years and still be young enough to replace May. And it would stop him moping around the House.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Will Boris' heart be in it for Party Chairman though? If he still has ambitions - and he's going to need to prove Gove was wrong if so - then Party Chairman is a good place from which to do it. Although, I'd rather he was beating the drum for UK plc, moving forward with trade deals around the world as a Minister for International Trade. That could be a very solid base from which to show what he can achieve. If he can show he is good at it, it could reap great rewards for Britain. Knuckle down for a few years and still be young enough to replace May. And it would stop him moping around the House.

Much of the party faithful still love Boris and it'll be an opportunity for him not to mope and feel the love again in the next few years. The PM would then reassess down the line. In effect on probation to show his worth.

Perhaps Gove might be persauded to leave the HoC with the sinecure of Govenor General of Australia where his political talents for stabbing leadership rivals in the back is the norm.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    JackW said:

Foreign rather than Home Secretary, perhaps? Chris Grayling shadowed the Home Office but was passed over for the main job. Would either May or Grayling want to risk adverse press comparisons with the other?

Combining Wales and Scotland looks like daft politics given the recent Conservative revival in both -- it risks giving the impression to voters that their country is at best not taken seriously by the party. (And there are already signs I might have been right about the proposed seat reductions in Wales harming the Tories.)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

But but but ... Chris Grayling has no experience in finance! He's a career politician. How can we have a chancellor with no knowledge of £$£?

She was on the money in 2013 when she said Brexit would be a disaster and cause 10 years of economic mess. :)
  • Options
    Just learned from Wikipedia that Chris Grayling is another BBC leftie -- a producer on BBC News.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Which is maybe why she said this

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast here. I don't think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving.

Economic success is the vital underpinning of every happy nation. The wellbeing we all crave goes hand in hand with economic success.
  • Options

Foreign rather than Home Secretary, perhaps? Chris Grayling shadowed the Home Office but was passed over for the main job. Would either May or Grayling want to risk adverse press comparisons with the other?

Combining Wales and Scotland looks like daft politics given the recent Conservative revival in both -- it risks giving the impression to voters that their country is at best not taken seriously by the party. (And there are already signs I might have been right about the proposed seat reductions in Wales harming the Tories.)

Grayling was partly passed over, as indeed were others, because of the 5 Cabinet slots allocated for the LibDems.

I don't think many votes hang on these SoS posts. Further what the bloody hell do they do all day ?? .... Who knows ?!?!

• Options
    JackW said:

Perhaps Gove might be persauded to leave the HoC with the sinecure of Govenor General of Australia where his political talents for stabbing leadership rivals in the back is the norm.

Australia is a big job. Maybe he should become the Minister for Small Islands first. Then he could spend his days doing Rockall...

Which might be best for all concerned. Especially if it involves a posting for his wife.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427
    I'm not convinced that Grayling is Chancellor material and think Hammond might get the nod. I think you'd need a Leaver in the FO and Grayling might be a better bet there. Osborne might decide his front rank domestic political career is over and might fancy succeeding Mme Lagarde or something similar. I suspect if Crabb performs well he may get a serious boost and could be a shout for Home Secretary assuming May moves to the top job.

Assuming May makes it through and is installed as next PM she is much more amenable to other women than Thatcher and in fairness has far more talent to play with. She might want to break the last of the big 3 never to have had a woman and appoint a female Chancellor and neither of the 2 I'd consider are on the list up there; Rudd or Greening.

• Options
    The other factor -- which may be why some Conservatives are pressing for a coronation, is how many votes the losing leadership candidates attract. It is not just Leave and Remain that must be considered when balancing the different wings of the party in Cabinet.

As an aside, do we know (or is there betting on) when David Cameron will leave the Commons? Tony Blair left the House immediately on handing over to Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427

The other factor -- which may be why some Conservatives are pressing for a coronation, is how many votes the losing leadership candidates attract. It is not just Leave and Remain that must be considered when balancing the different wings of the party in Cabinet.

As an aside, do we know (or is there betting on) when David Cameron will leave the Commons? Tony Blair left the House immediately on handing over to Gordon Brown.

Next election I'd imagine. Unless there's a big international job in a few years but I expect he will wait it out.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193

(And there are already signs I might have been right about the proposed seat reductions in Wales harming the Tories.)

I see that Crabb's constituency is well below the threshold.
  • Options
    J Clarkson...

Today lots of people — me included — are suggesting there should be a second vote on this whole Europe business, but we’re told by people in suits that this is not possible. And when we ask why, they say: “Because you just can’t.”

Why not? Where in the constitution does it say we must abide by the result of a plebiscite, no matter how moronic that result might be? It doesn’t say that. It doesn’t say anything in fact because we don’t really have a constitution in Britain. So we can do what happens to be sensible at any given moment. And what is sensible now surely is to hold a vote when everyone is equipped with the most powerful tool in the box: hindsight.

Of course this would infuriate millions of idiotic north of England coffin-dodgers who are prepared to bankrupt the country simply because they don’t want to live next door to a “darkie”. Many will write angry letters full of capital letters and underlining to their local newspapers. And there will be lots of discontent in various bingo halls, but who cares? They’ll all be dead soon anyway.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news-review/our-only-hope-is-a-second-vote-and-a-truly-rotten-pm-ss3ptqwn5
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ToryJim said:

I'm not convinced that Grayling is Chancellor material and think Hammond might get the nod. I think you'd need a Leaver in the FO and Grayling might be a better bet there. Osborne might decide his front rank domestic political career is over and might fancy succeeding Mme Lagarde or something similar. I suspect if Crabb performs well he may get a serious boost and could be a shout for Home Secretary assuming May moves to the top job.

Assuming May makes it through and is installed as next PM she is much more amenable to other women than Thatcher and in fairness has far more talent to play with. She might want to break the last of the big 3 never to have had a woman and appoint a female Chancellor and neither of the 2 I'd consider are on the list up there; Rudd or Greening.

Leavers and remainers reminds me of the days of Mrs Thatcher with the wets and the dry's
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    ToryJim said:

Next election I'd imagine. Unless there's a big international job in a few years but I expect he will wait it out.
    I'm probably wrong, but I reckon he won't want many high-profile international jobs. The impression I get (and it is just a guess) is that Sam Cam wants him to step down from that sort of thing and get her husband back.

However, the idea of being a backbench MP's wife might appeal to her more. He can still spend a lot of time in his constituency, and it may quench his thirst for 'useful' work. In addition, he'll still have a loud voice as an ex-PM backbencher to campaign for the things he believes right (and perhaps be a thorn in the side of the likes of Boris).

He might also want to spend time with his kids whilst they are still youngish.

On the other hand, it must be frustrating to be a backbencher after being PM.

Another thought: might he have a potential return at the back of his mind? *If* Brexit goes tits-up and some of remain's warnings come to fruition, who better to steady the ship?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Scott P - I bet Jezza hasn't the balls to write that in his Sun column.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott P - I bet Jezza hasn't the balls to write that in his Sun column.

why not. he is correct.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    The only reason I'm not fully endorsing those who are tipping Hammond ahead of Grayling is that I think the Chancellor will be a nice juicy bone flung to the Leavers in the wider party. As we saw yesterday, they are fuming at the thought of two Remainers going to the members and some may need soothing down.

Grayling certainly would be a better bet than Leadsom for the job, and remember, none of the last four chancellors have had any training in economics. Admittedly they have a decidedly mixed record too!

Priti Patel might be worth a fiver as well, as being slightly better I the money side and being the first EM and female chancellor. I don't see what Greening or Rudd offer politically (OK, they're both women and one's a lesbian, but they were Remainers and don't have big followings so the tokenism wouldn't be helpful)
  • Options
    Qn: What matters to Mrs May?
    Ans: Loyalty and people she can trust in positions essential to her success.
    SOS BREXIT = Grayling.
    COE or FO = Hammond

Gove and Osborne out, Leadsom only COE or FO if she does a deal but attacking TM is rapidly ending that.
    Tip = Alan Duncan into cabinet.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    "... they are fuming at the thought of two Remainers going to the members "
    Nobody's fault but lead Leaver Michael Gove.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2016

ToryJim said:

I'm probably wrong, but I reckon he won't want many high-profile international jobs. The impression I get (and it is just a guess) is that Sam Cam wants him to step down from that sort of thing and get her husband back.

However, the idea of being a backbench MP's wife might appeal to her more. He can still spend a lot of time in his constituency, and it may quench his thirst for 'useful' work. In addition, he'll still have a loud voice as an ex-PM backbencher to campaign for the things he believes right (and perhaps be a thorn in the side of the likes of Boris).

Another thought: might he have a potential return at the back of his mind? *If* Brexit goes tits-up and some of remain's warnings come to fruition, who better to steady the ship?
    Churchill, Home, Wilson and Heath all stood in GEs subsequent to their leaving No 10.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast here. I don't think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving.

Economic success is the vital underpinning of every happy nation. The wellbeing we all crave goes hand in hand with economic success.
    How did she reconcile that with being a Leaver?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

"... they are fuming at the thought of two Remainers going to the members "
    Nobody's fault but lead Leaver Michael Gove.

Yes, but you're being logical, Logical Song. I'm not sure that the baffled and frustrated Leavers will be. They can't understand how they won the war but are losing a battle.

That being said, I am still very far from convinced that Boris would have made the final two.
  • Options

She is about to try on Marr
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Some of us, TSE, regard all the names in your article as the lovechildren of two males...
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Today lots of people — me included — are suggesting there should be a second vote on this whole Europe business, but we’re told by people in suits that this is not possible. And when we ask why, they say: “Because you just can’t.”

Why not? Where in the constitution does it say we must abide by the result of a plebiscite, no matter how moronic that result might be? It doesn’t say that. It doesn’t say anything in fact because we don’t really have a constitution in Britain. So we can do what happens to be sensible at any given moment. And what is sensible now surely is to hold a vote when everyone is equipped with the most powerful tool in the box: hindsight.

Of course this would infuriate millions of idiotic north of England coffin-dodgers who are prepared to bankrupt the country simply because they don’t want to live next door to a “darkie”. Many will write angry letters full of capital letters and underlining to their local newspapers. And there will be lots of discontent in various bingo halls, but who cares? They’ll all be dead soon anyway.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news-review/our-only-hope-is-a-second-vote-and-a-truly-rotten-pm-ss3ptqwn5

I am warming to Clarkson.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Chris Grayling is an idiot. A perfectly amiable and polite idiot but an idiot nonetheless. The idea of him as Chancellor has done nothing for my Sunday morning.
  • Options
    TSE - You wouldn't by any chance have nicked the subject of this morning's thread from the following post which appeared here a couple of days ago:

"If you believe as I do that Theresa May is as good as home and hosed in terms of becoming our next PM, then there may be some value in backing Chris Grayling, her campaign chief and leading Brexiteer to be the next Chancellor of the Exchequer, where Ladbrokes' recently re-launched market has him on offer at 12/1. Andrea Leadsom is their favourite, but looks no sort of value at a skinny 2/1.
    As ever, DYOR."

Its author? Modesty prevents me .....
  • Options
    Where are all the happy Brexiteers this morning? The Leadsom cheerleaders?

Curious...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Scott_P said:

Where are all the happy Brexiteers this morning? The Leadsom cheerleaders?

Curious...

Slumped over the Mail
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    PeterC said:

ToryJim said:

Churchill, Home, Wilson and Heath all stood in GEs subsequent to their leaving No 10.
    You sure about Wilson?
  • Options
    Both Leadsom and Gove are on Marr this morning. (2 Brexiteers? BBC bias....)

Leadsom has to explain her breathtaking hypocrisy

Gove has to explain why knifing Boris for being a closet remainer was a good thing, and why he hasn't done the same to Leadsom. Yet.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's a puzzler - none of the Leavers on here seemed to have worked out a line on it yet. It's pretty clear to me that only a Bill Cash or a return for IDS as PM would be enough to secure the legacy. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

Much of the party faithful still love Boris and it'll be an opportunity for him not to mope and feel the love again in the next few years. The PM would then reassess down the line. In effect on probation to show his worth.

They would need to split the job again to have someone capable to do the admin and organisational bits, if they go for Boris. And dispute resolution isn't really his thing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Gove has to explain why knifing Boris for being a closet remainer was a good thing, and why he hasn't done the same to Leadsom. Yet.

Someone from the Remain campaign should be on to explain their incompetence in either not finding or not using the Leadsom quote two weeks back....
  • Options
    felix said:

It's a puzzler - none of the Leavers on here seemed to have worked out a line on it yet. It's pretty clear to me that only a Bill Cash or a return for IDS as PM would be enough to secure the legacy. :)

If Leadsom were to become PM, before this was unearthed, her problem was that the lies of the campaign would haunt her premiership.

Now the problem is the truth of her earlier statements would haunt her premiership.

I think "unlucky" is the appropriate word here...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Someone from the Remain campaign should be on to explain their incompetence in either not finding or not using the Leadsom quote two weeks back....

With the benefit of hindsight, that turns out to have been a blessing. It would not have changed the outcome of the vote, but it might just mean we get a sensible PM
  • Options
    @sarahlyall: The fall of Boris Johnson, who broke the china and left the shop without paying for it. https://t.co/CLnbVsnPCe My story today.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited July 2016
    @IanB2

Belloc on politicians - lines from 'Lord Lundy'. I'm not sure about Boris and his propensity for tears.

It happened to Lord Lundy then,
    As happens to so many men:
    Towards the age of twenty-six,
    They shoved him into politics;
    In which profession he commanded
    The Income that his rank demanded
    In turn as Secretary for
    India, the Colonies, and War.
    But very soon his friends began
    To doubt is he were quite the man:
    Thus if a member rose to say
    (As members do from day to day),
    "Arising out of that reply . . .!"
    Lord Lundy would begin to cry.
    A Hint at harmless little jobs
    Would shake him with convulsive sobs.
    While as for Revelations, these
    Would simply bring him to his knees,
    And leave him whimpering like a child.
    It drove his colleagues raving wild!
    They let him sink from Post to Post,
    From fifteen hundred at the most
    To eight, and barely six--and then
    To be Curator of Big Ben!. . .
    And finally there came a Threat
    To oust him from the Cabinet!

The Duke -- his aged grand-sire -- bore
    The shame till he could bear no more.
    He rallied his declining powers,
    Summoned the youth to Brackley Towers,
    And bitterly addressed him thus--
    "Sir! you have disappointed us!
    We had intended you to be
    The next Prime Minister but three:
    The stocks were sold; the Press was squared:
    The Middle Class was quite prepared.
    But as it is! . . . My language fails!
    Go out and govern New South Wales!"

The Aged Patriot groaned and died:
    And gracious! how Lord Lundy cried!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

With the benefit of hindsight, that turns out to have been a blessing. It would not have changed the outcome of the vote, but it might just mean we get a sensible PM
    If they had been clever and ambushed her with it during the TV debate, it could very well have made a difference.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Don't hold back, Jeremy.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good morning, everyone.

Whilst I think it would be a poor appointment (I did say the other day Grayling should be given a job that had no details to worry about but where being seen to be a human being was important, and that he'd end up being Chancellor), the bet seems sound to me.

F1: my pre-race piece is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/austria-pre-race-2016.html
  • Options
    Mr. Song, not sure the approach of Clarkson or Geldof (who on the news last night was filmed saying "This is a democracy" whilst arguing we ignore a democratic vote) will necessarily heal divides.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    IanB2 said:

If they had been clever and ambushed her with it during the TV debate, it could very well have made a difference.

I don't think so.

Almost nobody pays attention to anything, and the vote was won on the backs of people who don't normally vote.

There is no chance 1 million people watched the debate, or the press fall out, and changed their minds because a politician lied, again.

EDIT. Of course Tory MPs and members do pay attention to this sort of thing...
  • Options
    Meanwhile...

@guardian: The Tory party has probably now passed peak chaos. Not so Labour | Andrew Rawnsley https://t.co/jEzscsWaij
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    If the whole thing was re-run then you would push a lot of voters towards UKIP at the next general election, possibly to the point that they would hold the balance in the HoC. That would be a disaster for the country long term, as the SNP showed if you have a sudden increase in MP's but lack the talent embarrassment ensues.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Good Morning!

Chris Grayling for CoE - my first belly laugh of the day :lol:
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Next CoE: Look no further than P Hammond.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Don't hold back, Jeremy.
    But he did. He didn't abuse the Welsh...

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited July 2016
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

The Mensch line is....she changed her mind... others are just attacking the mail on Sunday as a remain whore so it's a smear. #rattled
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Don't hold back, Jeremy.
    Jeremy Clarkson , is being his nasty self. But he is correct !

Let's have a referendum to hold another referendum !
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Priti Patel might be worth a fiver...

As much as that .... must be rampant inflation caused by BREXIT.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

Simplest explanation is that she's changed her mind. I have over the last six years and I'm sure others have too.

The EU has had a dreadful decade of sclerosis and morass.

A great man once said: when the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Don't hold back, Jeremy.

We should consider the options by AV.
  • Options
    Still depressed about Chris Grayling. When I find myself agreeing with something in the New Statesman it really does not leave much room for alternative views http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2015/12/chris-grayling-most-incompetent-member-government

Cameron gently moved him out into non jobs where he could do less damage. Chancellor? God help us.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

J Clarkson...

Don't hold back, Jeremy.

Should we make it two out of three, or best out of five?
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_P said:

The Mensch line is....she changed her mind... others are just attacking the mail on Sunday as a remain whore so it's a smear. #rattled
    Neither line is remotely effective - be easier to say God told her to vote Leave :)
  • Options

Tip = Alan Duncan into cabinet.

SoS for Hunky Dinky Dunky Affairs .... Our Andrea would be pleased .. :smile:

• Options

Scott_P said:

Simplest explanation is that she's changed her mind. I have over the last six years and I'm sure others have too.

A great man once said: when the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
    Yes but it completely neuters any attack on May - we can all change our minds.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Mr. Song, not sure the approach of Clarkson or Geldof (who on the news last night was filmed saying "This is a democracy" whilst arguing we ignore a democratic vote) will necessarily heal divides.

Isn't Mr Geldof an Irish citizen? He's still in the EU.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Good Morning!

Chris Grayling for CoE - my first belly laugh of the day :lol:

Such fun as the 'Leavers turn on anyone who flirts with the enemy. Plato has spoken :)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Another one said - you don't like my principles - no worries I have others :)
  • Options
    Hammond is the only one on that list with any sense of numbers.

We do fish in a fairly shallow puddle for our politicians.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Prescott's face looks incredibly like the troll icon some use on here.

#justsaying
  • Options

PeterC said:

ToryJim said:

You sure about Wilson?
    Wilson lost as PM in 1970 but hung around to win twice in 1974. After handing over to Jim Callaghan in 1976, Wilson stood (successfully of course) at the 1979 general election.

It seems to be a recent convention that a party leader must resign at the first defeat.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    May's comments this morning sound really weak and insipid. Not good enough.
  • Options
    Mr. Chestnut, what's she said?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

#justsaying
    I think that is deliberate. As I understand it his online presence is run by his son who is very internet savvy.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Wait, sorry, what. Grayling as CoE?

That's a "if this happens I emigrate" level of cent
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

#justsaying
    I think that is deliberate. As I understand it his online presence is run by his son who is very internet savvy.
    Does he not like his dad? It just seemed so apposite when someone was referring to a heart of stone.
  • Options

PeterC said:

ToryJim said:

You sure about Wilson?
    Wilson lost as PM in 1970 but hung around to win twice in 1974. After handing over to Jim Callaghan in 1976, Wilson stood (successfully of course) at the 1979 general election.

It seems to be a recent convention that a party leader must resign at the first defeat.
    Yes, sorry. Don’t see any need for an ex PM to resign, myself. Of course Wilson and Heath needed the income; Major stayed in Parliament until he’d made, or renewed, all the necessary business contacts but Blair, presumably, relied on his wifes income for the first few months. Thatcher had Denis’ income.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I personally find her dull, authoritarian and old fashioned I am hoping she is going to surprise me but I fear not. Cameron and Osborne looking more impressive in retrospect already.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

Indeed we can. Though it seems to me there's a difference between changing your mind in your own time and campaigning in a free vote on what was at your mind then ... and changing your mind only because you lost a vote not because you believe in the change.
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_P said:

Indeed we can. Though it seems to me there's a difference between changing your mind in your own time and campaigning in a free vote on what was at your mind then ... and changing your mind only because you lost a vote not because you believe in the change.
    You may be on to something there.
  • Options
    Mr. L, quite, although worth recalling Cameron's a strategic idiot almost on a par with Blair (the unnecessary EU referendum he never wanted versus meddling with the UK's constitution to 'kill Scottish nationalism stone dead').
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This was Boris's chance. I find it hard to envision scenarios where he'll become PM: if Cameron's replacement wins in 2020 it'll probably be another few years before the position'll be open. If they lose in 2020, they'll be looking for someone sensible to lead the party through opposition, and there'll be plenty of the 2010/15 intake who have their own ambitions and experience by that time.

He's yesterday's man. Thankfully.
  • Options

Why are you ignoring Leadsom as someone with a sense of numbers?
  • Options

Mr. L, quite, although worth recalling Cameron's a strategic idiot almost on a par with Blair (the unnecessary EU referendum he never wanted versus meddling with the UK's constitution to 'kill Scottish nationalism stone dead').

The EU referendum he was bounced into by 86 Tory MPs rebelling against a three line whip and demanding one. He had no alternative but to lance the boil.

Blair's meddling (and the cack-handed way it was done) is entirely his fault. He wasn't bounced into doing it, he wanted to.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Mr. Chestnut, what's she said?

The quotes in the Telegraph.
  • Options

He was party leader for eleven years, and was PM for six. He 'won' two GE's, two referendums and narrowly lost one referendum.

If that's the sign of a 'strategic idiot' then you have a very high bar for idiocy.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Scott_P said:
    This was Boris's chance. I find it hard to envision scenarios where he'll become PM: if Cameron's replacement wins in 2020 it'll probably be another few years before the position'll be open. If they lose in 2020, they'll be looking for someone sensible to lead the party through opposition, and there'll be plenty of the 2010/15 intake who have their own ambitions and experience by that time.

Good morning all.

Sadly it was Boris' demeanour and look of petryfying panic on his face when he learned that LEAVE had won the referendum that did it for him. I'll never forget that look when he appeared on TV that morning. Although I still like Boris as a private person, he'll never, ever, get my support politically again.
  • Options

Why are you ignoring Leadsom as someone with a sense of numbers?
    It is possible that some of the others could grow into the role of CoE, but the change of direction needed in the Autumn statement (which will be Osborne's Emergency Budget in all but name) requires a great deal of work.

With Leadsom we would at least get an extra £350 million for the NHS per week.
  • Options

Do you think that Clarkson chose his approach to 'heal divides'?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Looking at the front pages what a horrible bunch of people permeate the top of the Conservative Party. They need reminding that more than a year ago they were elected to govern, the PM has acted like a spoilt child, his sidekick has vanished after yet another u-turn and now senior figures are busily knifing each other front and back.

Meanwhile the country has spoken and expects the govt to act accordingly, what a useless, self serving mob they are.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    MikeK said:

Scott_P said:

Good morning all.

Sadly it was Boris' demeanour and look of petryfying panic on his face when he learned that LEAVE had won the referendum that did it for him. I'll never forget that look when he appeared on TV that morning. Although I still like Boris as a private person, he'll never, ever, get my support politically again.
    I was certainly struck by that. I thought he was trying just too hard to avoid any suggestion of Faragist triumphalism. I think he may also have been rather shocked by the reception he received from the good folk of north London as he left his home that morning.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Boris will continue what he is best suited for. A National Treasure, panel show host and broadcaster.

He has dodged a bullet.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The word of the day is epigoni.

At the end of the leadership election the Conservatives will still have a majority of just 12. Does anyone think they're going to be a united force after recent events?
  • Options
    I think you should run the country you have such a grasp of matters political. I can see you offering the hand of friendship...

Looking at the front pages what a horrible bunch of people permeate the top of the Conservative Party. They need reminding that more than a year ago they were elected to govern, the PM has acted like a spoilt child, his sidekick has vanished after yet another u-turn and now senior figures are busily knifing each other front and back.

Meanwhile the country has spoken and expects the govt to act accordingly, what a useless, self serving mob they are.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    DavidL said:

chestnut said:

I personally find her dull, authoritarian and old fashioned I am hoping she is going to surprise me but I fear not. Cameron and Osborne looking more impressive in retrospect already.
    Not saying a lot, is it?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

The word of the day is epigoni.

At the end of the leadership election the Conservatives will still have a majority of just 12. Does anyone think they're going to be a united force after recent events?

Of course they're not, and Labour are in deeper trouble. And yet still tribal morons will place they're undying faith in a coloured rosette. Heaven knows what it will take for some people to look at this objectively.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981

Scott_P said:

Boris will continue what he is best suited for. A National Treasure, panel show host and broadcaster.

He has dodged a bullet.
    I think that is his most likely future. Heseltine's attack on him seems to have been designed to forestall any possibility of a comeback ... ever.
This discussion has been closed.