Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron is going, Boris is in hiding and Labour faces civil

Comments

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941

KP says "let’s hope that the current generation of political leaders is up to the task". It's the hope that hurts, Kieran - you know and I know that they aren't.

And Laurie Penny is right about "lizard brains" however much you (and I) wish she wasn't. If you (or I) went walkabout in Romford Market, would we expect to survive?

Here are some lizard policies for Nigel and his chums:

- scrap all Equal Opportunity legislation
    - a large annual Poll Tax on graduates (except UKIP members)
    - introduce US-style firearms legislation "as a requirement of TTIP"
    - annual referenda on the three questions that get most support on internet petitions
    - scrap MPs pay and allowances
    - presumption of "justifiable homicide" in respect of anyone who kills a Labour MP, councillor or activist

Better be quick, Nigel, or Boris might get there first :o

Fundamentally, we are living through the backstory of "V for Vendetta"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Brexiteers are funny.

WHY DOESN'T THE GOVERNMENT HAVE A PLAN???!!!

Osborne: "here is our plan."

LIAR!!!
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    paulyork said:

Is it possible to agree to continued FoM as the price of Free Trade. and then once the deal is rubber stamped start using our reclaimeed national powers to reduce benefits for non-UK citizens?

The lack of immigration control would be hard to stomach for those for whom that was the main issue they voted. but it can easily be argued that a 52% vote means the views of the other side cannot be ignored. whether that reasoning is accepted is another matter. this may not matter to the conservatives who probably weren't going to get most of their votes anyway.

There is a really good point here that I am not sure on - if we did agree to FOM as part of EEA/EFTA, are we actually accepting the common citizenship of the EU? If not, are we not free to deny benefits to anyone who is coming from an EU country?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,736

PlatoSaid said:

No emergency budget - what a surprise, not.

Market turmoil, Boris rolling back on ending free movement, NHS £350m a week revealed to be bollocks, firms holding back or cancelling investment and hiring. What a surprise, not.
    "As Truth lies in the abstract and exists more clearly in our minds than in the natural world, philosophical contemplation -- rather than observation -- is the road toward Truth."
    or "Don't confuse me with the facts"
    Plato
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Boy George has surfaced then? :smiley:
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    I am still pro-eu, I think brexit is the wrong choice for our country (but potentially a good one long term for the EU itself, if not certain member states).

However, frankly, Remain lost. You can argue it was unfair, and it is indeed disappointing but not surprising to see Boris and other rowing back from campaign promises, but we should be pragmatic about it now, and try and influence the result to EEA, our next best bet.

Therefore, throwing back Boris' lies in his face is actually counter-productive.

In any case, all remain voters can be understood to have accepted free movement, and if even just 20% of leave voters are like most PB leavers here, they won't care much about FoM either. In other words there is a majority to keep FoM.

Remain Tories in particular should be unifying under this, to reassure big business, and as most immigration-leavers are in Labour northern seats, it won't be the Tories who pay the price for the 'betrayal' of the northern leavers.

Labour are screwed - they have lost Scotland, they are losing the northern seats, and if they make any moves to try and recapture the north they will lose the middle class ones to the Lib Dems or Greens.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Fundamentally, we are living through the backstory of "V for Vendetta"

Peter Mannion MP for Leader!
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Pulpstar said:

The same people who backed Remain at 1-16, Marco Rubio and others now seem to have latched on to David Miliband next Labour leader at 8.2.

Good God you're right
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016
    I can not work out which next leader market is more batshit insane. Con or Lab.

Milliband or Fox.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441

alex. said:

PlatoSaid said:

Article 50 delayed to new PM, no change to anything until then, £250bn available from BoE to provide stability.

"We are open for business".

£250 bn = 30 years' worth of EU contributions.

30 weeks
    30 years is correct. Even using the Leave campaign's bogus £350M per week it comes to nearly 14 years.
    14 and 30 are different.
    Indeed. But the 14 year figure is based on the bogus £350M per week claim made by the Leave campaign. So your point is?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Scott_P said:

@tobyperkinsmp: I have informed Jeremy Corbyn that I am resigning from my post of Shadow Armed Forces Minister. My letter attached. https://t.co/8ui8lGHVUP

Bigjohnowls was out by two hours - he predicted 10.00am
  • Options

I am still pro-eu, I think brexit is the wrong choice for our country (but potentially a good one long term for the EU itself, if not certain member states).

However, frankly, Remain lost. You can argue it was unfair, and it is indeed disappointing but not surprising to see Boris and other rowing back from campaign promises, but we should be pragmatic about it now, and try and influence the result to EEA, our next best bet.

Therefore, throwing back Boris' lies in his face is actually counter-productive.

In any case, all remain voters can be understood to have accepted free movement, and if even just 20% of leave voters are like most PB leavers here, they won't care much about FoM either. In other words there is a majority to keep FoM.

Remain Tories in particular should be unifying under this, to reassure big business, and as most immigration-leavers are in Labour northern seats, it won't be the Tories who pay the price for the 'betrayal' of the northern leavers.

Labour are screwed - they have lost Scotland, they are losing the northern seats, and if they make any moves to try and recapture the north they will lose the middle class ones to the Lib Dems or Greens.

Oh and we are certainly going to leave the EU, even if the UK changed it's mind the EU will want us gone now, we have made our bed. There is no way the EU will accept the UK staying in the EU, we are a gangrenous arm for them now, they want us amputated as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next crisis!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,452
    What seems to be an entirely gratuitous addition to the problem is the complete meltdown in the Labour party. Corbyn is beyond useless and the referendum campaign demonstrated how little of any relevance he added to the national conversation but we all knew that didn't we?

What I am finding odd is that the shadow cabinet is taking this moment to completely undermine the Labour party as a credible opposition or alternative government. There are going to be a series of debates over the next few weeks about the implications of Brexit across government and it seems increasingly unlikely that Labour will even have spokesmen in place, let alone people on top of their briefs.

In the meantime it is giving the government breathing space that it probably does not deserve and is distracting the media focus on what happens next. It seems an odd combination of irresponsible and self-indulgent.
  • Options
    @BBCr4today: There is no organised plot against Jeremy Corbyn, says @LucyMPowell, but his position is now “untenable” https://t.co/4ZaTBvQdub

@MrJacHart: Of course it isn't a 'planned' coup, this is the Labour Party - it is an unplanned coup https://t.co/DFJb25VaPb
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

Brexiteers are funny.

LIAR!!!

How is that funny?

Osborne: We don't have a Plan B

Brexiters: How can you not? Are you lying or incompetent?

Carney: Here's Plan B that we've been working on with Osborne for months.

Brexiters: Liar it is then.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Milliband or Fox.

I think the leadership bets are fools markets.

Anyone truly competent or talented politically is not going to touch either PM or LotO. They are both toxic roles right now which will kill any career within a year (maybe two years for LotO).
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    PlatoSaid said:

Just a thought, is Faisal Islam a journo working for Sky or a tory/remain member of staff?

If I never saw Faisal again, it'd be too soon. You can take a man out of C4, but you can't take C4 out of the man. He's got an enormously high opinion of himself, wants to turn everything into a drama, and profoundly biased. His whole cleverdick manner has me reaching for the mute button.

I was very disappointed Sky employed him.
    Typical.. don't like the message.. shoot the messenger
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Stick to your guns Jezza!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214

Scott_P said:

Brexiteers are funny.

LIAR!!!

How is that funny?

Osborne: We don't have a Plan B

Brexiters: How can you not? Are you lying or incompetent?

Carney: Here's Plan B that we've been working on with Osborne for months.

Brexiters: Liar it is then.
    Don't be too harsh on Scott, he's had a traumatic few days.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    Scott_P said:

Brexiteers are funny.

LIAR!!!

Its not what he was saying two weeks ago is it.

Do you fell embarrassed having bleated and tweeted on behalf on a liar ?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Lowlander said:

Indigo said:

Perhaps the only way we can hope to get out of this mess is if Boris as PM has another change of mind.

He's now the best hope for Remain, ironically, as his opinions seem very flexible. I think a simple re-run would be hard to sell, but if Scotland leaves the UK, as it probably will, that changes the picture enough to make it worth asking the question again.
    If Scotland leave it becomes is 46/54 vote instead of a 59/51 vote, no one is ever going to shift the 7-8m votes needed to change that, especially if the markets get through this week without a major nervous breakdown.
    Gideon is certainly trying his damnedest to make sure the markets don't get through this week.
    My low opinion of Osborne has been on record for a long time, compared to what I think of him, the views of Mr @AlanBrooke rank as a generous tribute ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Good morning, everyone.

Good piece, Mr. Pedley. Lots of murmuring about a General Election (the Sun on Sunday's political editor was on Sky papers last night and said something along those lines too).

If there is one, might Article 50 and method of departure form the core of manifestos?

Could be a good way for the Lib Dems to bounce back.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    At this stage, it would be as well handing the keys over to Sturgeon and Swinney and saying "get us out of this mess and you can have Scotland debt free and we'll give you £10bn a year for 25 years, please, pretty please. Help".

Would be cheaper than what Osborne seems to have planned.
  • Options

alex. said:

PlatoSaid said:

Article 50 delayed to new PM, no change to anything until then, £250bn available from BoE to provide stability.

"We are open for business".

£250 bn = 30 years' worth of EU contributions.

30 weeks
    30 years is correct. Even using the Leave campaign's bogus £350M per week it comes to nearly 14 years.
    Except its funny money and will in all likelihood not cost the country a bean.
  • Options
    So what will Sturgeon's statement be today? Official timetable for when Scottish Parliament vote on enabling bill for Indy Ref 2
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

PlatoSaid said:

Market turmoil, Boris rolling back on ending free movement, NHS £350m a week revealed to be bollocks, firms holding back or cancelling investment and hiring. What a surprise, not.
    So its now been reduced to 'firms holding back or cancelling investment and hiring'.

We were told that all the car factories would shut down this week.
    As far as I'm aware, nobody's said that. What's more likely is gradual adverse change. So for example, in the case of Airbus UK, production of current model work scope will continue at Hawarden. Production expansion or structures for the narrow body replacement. We'll see. I understand that favoured expert, Patrick Minford's, views on manufacturing are quite robust.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    CD13 said:

As expected, there are two groups of Remainers.

Those who accept the referendum as the will of the British people, the majority.

And a large minority who believe they were cheated because ... (1) lies were told and only Remainers are allowed to lie (2) the people voting are low-class chavs or elderly who shouldn't be allowed to vote, and (3) superior people like them clearly know best.

And they were shocked when people thought they had the right to air their own opinions.

It's worrying that such blindness exists. In a democracy ... no, this is silly, these children have had their favourite toy taken away and they're sulking. They hope the house sets on fire and they'll feel better about it. What's even more worrying is that these children include the CoE and other MPs.

How about appointing Carney as CoE? At least he's acting like an adult.

Chillax bruv.

Your lot won. However, it's possible we'll stay in the EU with a few bones thrown in. Would you be happy with that?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Scott_P said:

@DianaJohnsonMP: After @hilarybennmp sacking yesterday I have now written to Jeremy Corbyn to resign as a Shadow Foreign and Commonwealth Office minister.

I don't really think the stage managed "one an hour" resignation procession is really having much cut through any more. If anything, they are now undermining any effect they are trying to create.
    Stage managed resignations in the Labour party is what Watson did to Blair. Funny how this is happening to Corbyn and yet no one knows who the organiser is... Meanwhile Watson has let it be known he is meeting Corbyn at 930am.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    If Gove does not stand I think Leadsom may have a chance now. She is competent, had a City career before politics and tough and as she backed Leave she has an advantage over May. There will also inevitably be a Stop Boris movement
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465
    Get in Stephen. Or rather, get out.

My 25s Kinnock Jr next Lab leader looking not completely a lost cause.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:
    Andrew Neil is not exactly good at hiding his Leave bias is he.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    Project Teddy In The Corner seems to be getting into full swing - with Generation Snowflake in the vanguard at Glastonbury. Fuck 'em. They're now feeling pretty much the way a majority of the country has been feeling for over a quarter of a century. A clear majority in a referendum with a high turnout seems to have escaped their notice. The political choice in this country has been Tweedledum or Tweedledee for far too long. Moribund political parties are coming apart as it dawns on them they represent no-one. Fuck 'em too.
  • Options
    Btw, if Scotland does go independent and stays in the EU, what are their proposed nationality requirements to become a citizen? If I have a grandparent who is 1/2 scottish can I claim citizenship - I think that was the case as laid out in their 2014 white paper.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,238
    DavidL said:

What seems to be an entirely gratuitous addition to the problem is the complete meltdown in the Labour party. Corbyn is beyond useless and the referendum campaign demonstrated how little of any relevance he added to the national conversation but we all knew that didn't we?

What I am finding odd is that the shadow cabinet is taking this moment to completely undermine the Labour party as a credible opposition or alternative government. There are going to be a series of debates over the next few weeks about the implications of Brexit across government and it seems increasingly unlikely that Labour will even have spokesmen in place, let alone people on top of their briefs.

In the meantime it is giving the government breathing space that it probably does not deserve and is distracting the media focus on what happens next. It seems an odd combination of irresponsible and self-indulgent.

Utter madness, and with no admission whatsoever that the quitters are the people who began the process of losing their core vote by failing to address their concerns.

Corbyn had to go, but doing it like this at this time is absolutely crazy.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

CD13 said:

Those who accept the referendum as the will of the British people, the majority.

And a large minority who believe they were cheated because ... (1) lies were told and only Remainers are allowed to lie (2) the people voting are low-class chavs or elderly who shouldn't be allowed to vote, and (3) superior people like them clearly know best.

And they were shocked when people thought they had the right to air their own opinions.

It's worrying that such blindness exists. In a democracy ... no, this is silly, these children have had their favourite toy taken away and they're sulking. They hope the house sets on fire and they'll feel better about it. What's even more worrying is that these children include the CoE and other MPs.

Chillax bruv.

Your lot won. However, it's possible we'll stay in the EU with a few bones thrown in. Would you be happy with that?
    I think @Paristonda is dead right, I think the EU wouldn't want us to continue even if we asked nicely.
  • Options
    Struggling to see the fuss over Boris's position on immigration. The whole point of voting Leave was that we now decide. And we will. Only thing that has changed is that parties now have to be open and honest about immigration policy (im looking at you Labour).

Next election will have:

Conservatives: EEA/single market option
    Labour: Open Borders
    UKIP: Full points based system
    Lib Dem: Reenter EU

Cant see that going well for Labour.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    By whom?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    pinkrose said:
    Harsh but true observation of his employer.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    Alistair said:

So what will Sturgeon's statement be today? Official timetable for when Scottish Parliament vote on enabling bill for Indy Ref 2

But Boris has said No :-)

She is going to run rings round him.

• Options

pinkrose said:
    Andrew Neil is not exactly good at hiding his Leave bias is he.
    You mean Andrew Neil is good at being neutral and calling out BS when he sees it. He calls out Leave BS too.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

PlatoSaid said:

So its now been reduced to 'firms holding back or cancelling investment and hiring'.

Nobody said that the car factories would shut this week. Typical abuse of the truth by a Leaver.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited June 2016
    HYUFD said:

If Gove does not stand I think Leadsom may have a chance now. She is competent, had a City career before politics and tough and as she backed Leave she has an advantage over May. There will also inevitably be a Stop Boris movement

We currently have a government whose sole purpose is not to protect the citizens from economic meltdown, but a spiteful blocking of one man's career. Contemptible doesn't begin to do it justice.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Perhaps the only way we can hope to get out of this mess is if Boris as PM has another change of mind.

He's now the best hope for Remain, ironically, as his opinions seem very flexible. I think a simple re-run would be hard to sell, but if Scotland leaves the UK, as it probably will, that changes the picture enough to make it worth asking the question again.
    Scotland leaving changes zilch, most Leave voters polled saw themselves as English anyway not British and it is inevitable now
  • Options

Struggling to see the fuss over Boris's position on immigration. The whole point of voting Leave was that we now decide. And we will. Only thing that has changed is that parties now have to be open and honest about immigration policy (im looking at you Labour).

Next election will have:

If Corbyn is Labour leader then you are right. If, by some miracle, he isn't, then you'll be wrong. The entire election will be fought on the lies that the Tory Leavers told.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Looking at the non-job titles of ssome shadow ministers resigning, there are clearly too many. Eg Shadow minister for civil society.
  • Options

Btw, if Scotland does go independent and stays in the EU, what are their proposed nationality requirements to become a citizen? If I have a grandparent who is 1/2 scottish can I claim citizenship - I think that was the case as laid out in their 2014 white paper.

Wouldn't that mean your great-grandparent is Scottish? Normally citizenship rules apply to grandparents, not great-grandparents.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Alistair said:

Milliband or Fox.

My Labour leader book looking a hell of alot better than my Tory book.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    PlatoSaid said:

Just a thought, is Faisal Islam a journo working for Sky or a tory/remain member of staff?

If I never saw Faisal again, it'd be too soon. You can take a man out of C4, but you can't take C4 out of the man. He's got an enormously high opinion of himself, wants to turn everything into a drama, and profoundly biased. His whole cleverdick manner has me reaching for the mute button.

The referendum is over, and yet we are still in agreement from different sides of the political spectrum!

I have never witnessed a so called "interviewer" who so resolutely tried to prevent the interviewee saying anything in answer to a so-called "question" before reverting to talking over them. That applied to both of the Sky "interviews" he conducted. It is a pretty high bar and it is the sort of thing that just drags political debate into the gutter.

I wish more political interviewees would just take a long pause before answering, and then respond along the lines of "You gave me five words before interrupting my last attempt to answer you. How many words am I being allowed this time?"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We currently have a government whose sole purpose is not to protect the citizens from economic meltdown, but a spiteful blocking of one man's career. Contemptible doesn't begin to do it justice.

If there is an economic meltdown it will be directly attributable to the lies told by the people who will soon be replacing the current government.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited June 2016
    Wanderer said:

I would be interested to know whether Conservative Leavers on here trust Johnson or May to actually deliver Brexit. Obviously they will say they will but are you happy with those assurances or would you prefer a leader who is more ideologically committed to Leave.

I won't be happy until Article 50 is triggered. It's pretty clear how unwilling most of the Establishment/media are to accept the will of the people. The last few days reminded me of the BBC over Hutton - and that's not a good thing.

I trust Gove completely.

Once the denial/anger phase is over - I'm a little anxious about the bargaining mindset. I don't believe in my head that anyone from Leave would be sucked in by that siren call. After 3 months of taking every insult going, they're not going to backtrack now.

I read Boris' article and took it as a pitch for PM, soothing words, healing wounds, listen to concerns da-de-da. It's typical of what every new winner says.

I'm very ambivalent about May - I really don't like her authoritarian streak, nor her endless side swapping for careerist reasons. She's a tough lady though and has the gravitas. Boris needs to show me he can be serious.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Then there is the internal renegotiation. Where all going to be shafted by Brexit in the short and medium term. The battle is for the long term. Now that the referendum is over and the useful idiots of the northern and welsh WWC have served their purpose the normal power structures ( elites and parliament ) will reassert themselves. The new dialectic will be between Tory, prosperous and southern leave areas and Remainia. The short and medium term is the easiest bit. The cuts necessitated by Leave can simply be concentrated on the northern WWC areas as the previous customers were. Scotland will punch above it's weight under Sturgeon. It's how the southern Leavers and Remainia reach synthesis that's key. I don't know how yet but it won't be pretty for the northern WWC who've suicide bombed our place in Europe.

Those wwc voters though can now guarantee UKIP a quarter of the vote and UKIP will be focused almost entirely on an anti immigration platform
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
    Mr. Phil, Faisal Islam's incompetent at best.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If there is an economic meltdown it will be directly attributable to the lies told by the people who will soon be replacing the current government.

You dont think the lies told by the current chancellor might have the slightest bearing on it ?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

I was trying (and failing) to research this online last night.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited June 2016

HYUFD said:

And your evidence is? Should Cameron and Osborne have departed immediately? There is a logical argument for that but how wouldit help protect the citizens from economic meltdown?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

PlatoSaid said:

Blatant lie. Show me where anyone said that
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    PlatoSaid said:

Wanderer said:

I would be interested to know whether Conservative Leavers on here trust Johnson or May to actually deliver Brexit. Obviously they will say they will but are you happy with those assurances or would you prefer a leader who is more ideologically committed to Leave.

I won't be happy until Article 50 is triggered. It's pretty clear how unwilling most of the Establishment/media are to accept the will of the people. The last few days reminded me of the BBC over Hutton - and that's not a good thing.

I trust Gove completely.

Once the denial/anger phase is over - I'm a little anxious about the bargaining mindset. I don't believe in my head that anyone from Leave would be sucked in by that siren call. After 3 months of taking every insult going, they're not going to backtrack now.

I read Boris' article and took it as a pitch for PM, soothing words, healing wounds, listen to concerns da-de-da. It's typical of what every new winner says.

I'm very ambivalent about May - I really don't like her authoritarian streak, nor her endless side swapping for careerist reasons. She's a tough lady though and has the gravitas. Boris needs to show me he can be serious.

The Leave campaign are quite happy to keep Article 50 in the long grass, possibly for ever.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And if we don't have an economic meltdown that exposes the establishment as liars.
  • Options

I think an Independent Scotland might be in need of a wall...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Moses_ said:

It was the Labour heartlands of the NE that led the way to Brexit. Does that mean that Jezza is now more in touch with Labour grass root opinion ( if not UK opinion) than those resigning from his shadcab team yesterday.

An interesting option for Corbyn is to replace some of the resigning shadow ministers with the three most respected figures of Lexit - Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kelvin Hokpins. If the Europhiles object, tough - they've already jumped ship. And I say that as a Europhile myself. It would simply signal that Labour was responding seriously to the Lexit WWC.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    I think it would be premature to u turn to say the least, would cause chaos even on top of what we are already suffering, and I can see no viable way it could happen, but if the country to try turning back I don't see why it couldn't. As I said the paths to such a course do not seem viable and it would not eliminate chaos, but a vote out can be cancelled by a vote in. We are in effect committed and need to work on making it succeed, but if someone thinks it viable why shouldn't they try. Though I would think it would be a messy form of political suicide, there's always the possibility of turning back.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Wanderer said:

I won't be happy until Article 50 is triggered. It's pretty clear how unwilling most of the Establishment/media are to accept the will of the people. The last few days reminded me of the BBC over Hutton - and that's not a good thing. The difference here is the media trying to overturn the will of the people, not a whitewash report.

I trust Gove completely.

I'm very ambivalent about May - I really don't like her authoritarian streak, nor her endless side swapping for careerist reasons. She's a tough lady tough and has the gravitas. Boris needs to show me he can be serious.

You trust Gove completely to deliver £350 million a week extra for the NHS, ensure that all current subsidies and grants paid out by the EU are maintained in full, substantially reduce immigration, cut VAT, oversee an increase in wages, negotiate a plethora of beneficial trade deals, ensure there are no tax increases and increase access to housing?

Now, can I interest you in some magic beans I have come across?

• Options

Next election will have:

If Corbyn is Labour leader then you are right. If, by some miracle, he isn't, then you'll be wrong. The entire election will be fought on the lies that the Tory Leavers told.

In the present climate Labour have no chance, someone like Leadsom could negotiate an EFTA arrangement and then comfortably win the next election, she would easily beat Corbyn, Watson or McDonnell
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited June 2016

Looking at the non-job titles of ssome shadow ministers resigning, there are clearly too many. Eg Shadow minister for civil society.

:+1:

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Had the EU referendum been contested under FPTP in the 382 counting areas, the result would have been:

Remain: 31.2%
    Leave: 68.8%"

twitter.com/minefornothing/status/746690150277668865
  • Options
    Freggles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Blatant lie. Show me where anyone said that
    Go look for yourself.

The establishment have already been exposed as liars.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

pinkrose said:
    Harsh but true observation of his employer.
    Indeed – Aunty is in full ‘cuts, cuts, CUTS!’ mode.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @NickPalmer

'An interesting option for Corbyn is to replace some of the resigning shadow ministers with the three most respected figures of Lexit - Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kelvin Hokpins. If the Europhiles object, tough - they've already jumped ship. And I say that as a Europhile myself. It would simply signal that Labour was responding seriously to the Lexit WWC.'

Would any of those MP's want to be associated with Corbyn & IRA McDonnell ?

• Options

Moses_ said:

It was the Labour heartlands of the NE that led the way to Brexit. Does that mean that Jezza is now more in touch with Labour grass root opinion ( if not UK opinion) than those resigning from his shadcab team yesterday.

An interesting option for Corbyn is to replace some of the resigning shadow ministers with the three most respected figures of Lexit - Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kelvin Hokpins. If the Europhiles object, tough - they've already jumped ship. And I say that as a Europhile myself. It would simply signal that Labour was responding seriously to the Lexit WWC.
    How do you square appointing Frank Field with Frank Field's call for Corbyn to go?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Corbyns new shadow cabinet looking superb - Diane Abbott as health Secretary....
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Frank Field said Mr Corbyn should go. (sky interview yesterday).

There were reports that Ms Stuarts statement after the Brexit result was anti-Corbyn, but I didn't see it.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Would Stuart et al go for it?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Boris is not seen as the best choice to protect the economy it is not contemptible
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And if we don't have an economic meltdown that exposes the establishment as liars.

The establishment - Leave and Remain - will say and do anything to hold onto its position. And it has been successful once again. An Etonian PM is about to be replaced by another Etonian PM, and everyone outside of the Commons will stay exactly where they are. The reality is that what Brexit will trigger over the longer term is less investment in the UK, a further decline in manufacturing, more cuts in public services and greater employment uncertainty. The establishment will be entirely unaffected.

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    So where does Corbyn find replacements for all these people resigning?

Hope he's got a magic people tree next to the money one.
  • Options
    From the Guardian:

Jeremy Corbyn has replaced 10 of the shadow ministers who resigned (or were sacked in Hilary Benn’s case).

The reshuffle involves moving Emily Thornberry from shadow defence minister to shadow foreign secretary, and replacing her with the new MP for Norwich South Clive Lewis.

Diane Abbott is also promoted to shadow health secretary.

Here’s the full list:
    Shadow Foreign Secretary - Emily Thornberry

Shadow Health Secretary – Diane Abbott

Shadow Education Secretary – Pat Glass

Shadow Transport Secretary – Andy McDonald

Shadow Defence Secretary – Clive Lewis

Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury – Rebecca Long-Bailey

Shadow International Development Secretary – Kate Osamor

Shadow Environment Food and Rural Affairs Secretary – Rachel Maskell

Shadow Voter Engagement and Youth Affairs – Cat Smith

Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary – Dave Anderson
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Milliband or Fox.

My Labour leader book looking a hell of alot better than my Tory book.
    I have a fiver on Jarvis from a while ago, I will be cashing out due to not want in to waste even one iota of thought on such a mad market.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    BBC - Abbott - Corbyn will be able to fill front bench vacancies

"Diane Abbott, a key ally of Jeremy Corbyn, is grabbed by the BBC as she heads into Portcullis House in Westminster. She says she won't be changing her job in the looming reshuffle, and she's sure Mr Corbyn will be able to fill all the vacancies that are opening up."

no comment.
  • Options

What a time to be alive!
  • Options

"Had the EU referendum been contested under FPTP in the 382 counting areas, the result would have been:

Remain: 31.2%
    Leave: 68.8%"

twitter.com/minefornothing/status/746690150277668865

That's a bit harsh as the Remain areas are larger in size. Of course, the current Westminster Constituencies aren't perfectly equal in size.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Then there is the internal renegotiation. Where all going to be shafted by Brexit in the short and medium term. The battle is for the long term. Now that the referendum is over and the useful idiots of the northern and welsh WWC have served their purpose the normal power structures ( elites and parliament ) will reassert themselves. The new dialectic will be between Tory, prosperous and southern leave areas and Remainia. The short and medium term is the easiest bit. The cuts necessitated by Leave can simply be concentrated on the northern WWC areas as the previous customers were. Scotland will punch above it's weight under Sturgeon. It's how the southern Leavers and Remainia reach synthesis that's key. I don't know how yet but it won't be pretty for the northern WWC who've suicide bombed our place in Europe.

Those wwc voters though can now guarantee UKIP a quarter of the vote and UKIP will be focused almost entirely on an anti immigration platform
    Will UKIP exist in 2020?

A backstory during the referendum campaign was intense faction fighting within UKIP. I think Suzanne Evans was sacked 3 times.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Next election will have:

In the present climate Labour have no chance, someone like Leadsom could negotiate an EFTA arrangement and then comfortably win the next election, she would easily beat Corbyn, Watson or McDonnell

I have few concerns about Ms Leadsom, though even she could beat Jezza. McDonnell will never be leader as he would not get enough MPs to back him. I suspect Watson would have a chance of at least denying the Tories a majority, which has to be the first aim for Labour at the next GE.

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

PlatoSaid said:

Wanderer said:

I won't be happy until Article 50 is triggered. It's pretty clear how unwilling most of the Establishment/media are to accept the will of the people. The last few days reminded me of the BBC over Hutton - and that's not a good thing. The difference here is the media trying to overturn the will of the people, not a whitewash report.

I trust Gove completely.

I'm very ambivalent about May - I really don't like her authoritarian streak, nor her endless side swapping for careerist reasons. She's a tough lady tough and has the gravitas. Boris needs to show me he can be serious.

You trust Gove completely to deliver £350 million a week extra for the NHS, ensure that all current subsidies and grants paid out by the EU are maintained in full, substantially reduce immigration, cut VAT, oversee an increase in wages, negotiate a plethora of beneficial trade deals, ensure there are no tax increases and increase access to housing?

Now, can I interest you in some magic beans I have come across?

in the story the magic beans led to the goose with the golden eggs did they not :)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2016
    Had Remain won 51 to 49%, I suppose Labour would have really got the wipe out in the Northern Brexit voting heartlands. A bit like SLAB after the winning referendum after a lackluster campaign. Corbyn would have been Lamont and the new one pushed with great hope by the London would have become Murphy.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    tlg86 said:

From the Guardian:

Jeremy Corbyn has replaced 10 of the shadow ministers who resigned (or were sacked in Hilary Benn’s case).

The reshuffle involves moving Emily Thornberry from shadow defence minister to shadow foreign secretary, and replacing her with the new MP for Norwich South Clive Lewis.

Here’s the full list:

Who are these people!?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

murali_s said:

CD13 said:

Chillax bruv.

I think @Paristonda is dead right, I think the EU wouldn't want us to continue even if we asked nicely.
    Reason number 4 there won't be a rerun, even if we want one.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited June 2016
    Mr P et al,

Perhaps I can help (as I'm not a politics graduate so will speak simply).

Every four or five years, we elect a GOVERNMENT. They control the levers of power. The contending parties put forward a MANIFESTO which is their respective plans for the future.

The Government (see earlier) can gauge public support on issues by having a REFERENDUM. This is usually a binary option (yes or no) on a specific question. Once consulted, the Government proceed to implement this, because they control the levers of power (see earlier).
    Individual citizens or pressure groups have no power or responsibility to do this.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Options
    @benrileysmith: Labour's leader, shadow chancellor, foreign and defence secs now all back scrapping Trident.

Snap election anyone?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,061

tlg86 said:

From the Guardian:

Here’s the full list:

Who are these people!?
    None entities wanting their 5 minutes in the sun....
  • Options
    Corbyn's appointment of Pat Glass to the education brief shows just how close he is to Labour heartlands. Looks like Rochdale and Danny were right :-D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36334488
  • Options

So where does Corbyn find replacements for all these people resigning?

Hope he's got a magic people tree next to the money one.

No-one knows shadow ministers names anyway, so it doesn't much matter. TV shows just need half a dozen Labour spokespeople to phone for comments on various issues.
  • Options

Wouldn't that mean your great-grandparent is Scottish? Normally citizenship rules apply to grandparents, not great-grandparents.
    Yes my great-nan was fully scottish. I initially thought that was the case but looking at the SNP white paper which says:

"British nationals living outside Scotland who register with evidence of at least one parent who qualifies for Scottish citizenship."

"Citizens of any country, who register with evidence of a parent or grandparent who qualifies for Scottish citizenship."

Therefore, my nan counts as a British national living outside Scotland who qualifies for citizenship (because her mum would have qualified). Which means I can qualify off the back of my nan being eligible for citizenship?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Hope this is helpful.

Translation: "I voted for this, but please don't blame me for the ensuing carnage"
  • Options
    @PickardJE: New shadow cabinet is a Dad's Army of those still standing: Corbyn Praetorian guard plus a few waverers like Burnham.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: More trouble for JC. Shadow Lords leader + Chief Whip hv taken soundings from peers + now won't attend Shad Cab while Corbyn still in post

@paulwaugh: Note @LadyBasildon + @SteveTheQuip are elected to their posts with an overwhelming mandate by their own peers (literally). Can't be sacked
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

The referendum is over, and yet we are still in agreement from different sides of the political spectrum!

I have never witnessed a so called "interviewer" who so resolutely tried to prevent the interviewee saying anything in answer to a so-called "question" before reverting to talking over them. That applied to both of the Sky "interviews" he conducted. It is a pretty high bar and it is the sort of thing that just drags political debate into the gutter.

I wish more political interviewees would just take a long pause before answering, and then respond along the lines of "You gave me five words before interrupting my last attempt to answer you. How many words am I being allowed this time?"
    Me too - it adds nothing when interviewers just overtalk and interrupt. Evan Davis is the worst - I can spend 10 mins listening and hear his opinion for 8m 30secs.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wanderer said:

I trust Gove completely.

The Leave campaign are quite happy to keep Article 50 in the long grass, possibly for ever.
    Not forever.the pressure to declare is too high and they'd be eaten alive if they don't at some point. Only a new offer from the eu could prevent it being declared - conspiracy would be that's why we want to wait to declare, to get one - but they have for once been very clear and self interest would mean it should be belied that there won't be. Add to that as the people's will has been shown, realistically only the people's will being shown to change is needed to not declare after all. And any second ref would probably be lost. Either half s million switchers, much higher turnout for remain but not for leave and Scotland turning out again for remain, none of which is likely, is needed.

Good day.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    Eamonn: Justine Greening, thank you for talking so straight this morning.

PMSL!
This discussion has been closed.