Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron is going, Boris is in hiding and Labour faces civil

SystemSystem Posts: 11,716
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron is going, Boris is in hiding and Labour faces civil war. So who will lead Britain?

Last Thursday’s Brexit vote was truly an historic event in our country’s history. The consequences for British politics will take time to play out. Right now the country is tense. Since David Cameron’s resignation Friday morning there is a political vacuum at the heart of power and sense of uncertainty in the air. Only a fool would predict with any degree of certainty what happens next.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,822
    First!
  • Options
    Been away a few days.....did I miss much?
  • Options
    On topic:

No Turning Back Quite. Much as I find the result disappointing, it is what it is on a good turnout by a clear margin. Seeking to subvert it would be more damaging than actually leaving the EU.

Enter Boris (or May)? May. Boris is going to get crucified as one by one LEAVE's promises turn to dust.....

Labour in Meltdown Remote politicians ignore grass roots. Where have I read that before?

Who will Lead Britain Good question. Once the immediate shock of the result dies down I suspect a degree of calm will return.....
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    A superb header. I have no idea what's going to happen given the variables. At TOR I think Boris will stand, Boris will win then Boris will call an early election. Against Corbyn he'll get an increased mandate and a Commons with a Brexit majority. He then has 5 years to unravel the contradictions and ensure that his famous Nike tick is going up again before The 2021/22 election. The big variable for me is speed. Can Boris kick the can of the worst of the Brexit trough till after the early election. After that's it's Labour. Can they elect a forensic oven ready alternative PM in time for Autumn with the counter populist touch to slice through Leaves lies. That comes down the willingness for the PLP to declare UDI from the memembership.

What's so fascinating is I'd happily declare the above wrong by this afternoon. The pace of change is so stark.
  • Options
    Boris set out his vision in the Telegraph. It's everything he likes about the EU (the common market) and some extra-special snowflake accommodations for us (a points-based immigration system.)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

A superb header. I have no idea what's going to happen given the variables. At TOR I think Boris will stand, Boris will win then Boris will call an early election. Against Corbyn he'll get an increased mandate and a Commons with a Brexit majority. He then has 5 years to unravel the contradictions and ensure that his famous Nike tick is going up again before The 2021/22 election. The big variable for me is speed. Can Boris kick the can of the worst of the Brexit trough till after the early election. After that's it's Labour. Can they elect a forensic oven ready alternative PM in time for Autumn with the counter populist touch to slice through Leaves lies. That comes down the willingness for the PLP to declare UDI from the memembership.

What's so fascinating is I'd happily declare the above wrong by this afternoon. The pace of change is so stark.

But how would he call an early election with the fixed term Parliament act? Is there time for rushed legislation to get rid of that?
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    I am a Leave supporter and I agree that immigration control was a major issue in the campaign. However, now Brexit is going to happen and the country is divided there will need to be a compromise. I don't see EEA membership as an option - the rules on freedom of movement and adoption of too much EU law will be unacceptable to the Leave campaign. However, the EU are going to want something in return for a FTA.

So how do Leavers (and others) feel about (a) a UK-EU FTA (b) some block payment to the EU in return as with the Swiss (c) an agreement that any EU citizen can enter and work in the UK providing they have a job offer in advance, but that they do not gain permanent residency rights nor are they eligible for any benefits (as there is no longer a concept of EU citizenship and shared rights). Basically, EU citizens would have an unlimited period temporary work visa on demand, and the same for UK citizens in the EU, but if they want permanent residency they have to apply as usual. I think this would reduce immigration from the EU significantly - many of the Eastern European immigrants just rock up and look for low skilled work and will not be able or prepared to get a job offer in advance, and the lack of long term residency will be a limiter.

Is it enough of a win for the immigration-control leavers and would it give the EU enough of a win to agree to an FTA, which frankly they are going to have to do at some stage, whether now or in the future?
  • Options
    nunu said:

But how would he call an early election with the fixed term Parliament act? Is there time for rushed legislation to get rid of that?
    He needs to get a two thirds majority for an early election. Labour MP's can't vote against having an election so he'll get it.
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited June 2016
    You need 2/3s of MPs to vote for an early dissolution. The polls are somewhat even now but what does Labour gain from this? At best, the poisoned chalice of getting beaten daily in the tabloid press for any concessions during a difficult negotiation. At worst, five years for the new Tory PM. This gives them an extra year and half to float on past whatever fallout there is.
  • Options

I am a Leave supporter and I agree that immigration control was a major issue in the campaign. However, now Brexit is going to happen and the country is divided there will need to be a compromise. I don't see EEA membership as an option - the rules on freedom of movement and adoption of too much EU law will be unacceptable to the Leave campaign. However, the EU are going to want something in return for a FTA.

So how do Leavers (and others) feel about (a) a UK-EU FTA (b) some block payment to the EU in return as with the Swiss (c) an agreement that any EU citizen can enter and work in the UK providing they have a job offer in advance, but that they do not gain permanent residency rights nor are they eligible for any benefits (as there is no longer a concept of EU citizenship and shared rights). Basically, EU citizens would have an unlimited period temporary work visa on demand, and the same for UK citizens in the EU, but if they want permanent residency they have to apply as usual. I think this would reduce immigration from the EU significantly - many of the Eastern European immigrants just rock up and look for low skilled work and will not be able or prepared to get a job offer in advance, and the lack of long term residency will be a limiter.

Is it enough of a win for the immigration-control leavers and would it give the EU enough of a win to agree to an FTA, which frankly they are going to have to do at some stage, whether now or in the future?

Actually Lord Ashcrofts polling shows immigration is number two issue number one was policies should be made here.
  • Options

nunu said:

He needs to get a two thirds majority for an early election. Labour MP's can't vote against having an election so he'll get it.
    Labour MPs could easily vote against it as they could say"we need stability at this time".
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Labour MPs could easily vote against it as they could say"we need stability at this time".
    It's utterly Inconceivable politicians could vote against extra democracy in the current context.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I have also been thinking that a reciprocal full freedom of travel for those with work offers makes sense. That way Brits abroad working for EU companies can stay in work there, and vice versa for Europeans in the UK. It will also allow our economy access to a larger talent pool.

I also favour grandfathering in those with residence, even if they have no work at present. If applied to our citizens in Europe, then the retirees in Spain etc... would also be grandfathered in. I can see that actually being appealing to both Spain and Portugal - maybe even certain regions of France.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

'We need stability provided by a continuing Tory Government' - The Labour Party

Colour me sceptical......
  • Options
    Eastern Europe won't want this because it means their excess work-force can no longer come here. Western Europe won't want it because then more eastern Europe folk show up on their doorstep.

Normally, Germany would be able to force this through but this is a process where any one country - let alone several of them - can throw a monkey wrench into.
  • Options
    The current polls are showing Tories only about a couple points ahead Labour. Suspect they are wrong again and Rods prediction swing back from local elections mean Tories are 10% ahead are correct. 40% Tory, 30% Labour is my prediction. Leading to a 50-60 seat majority.
  • Options

nunu said:

nunu said:

It's utterly Inconceivable politicians could vote against extra democracy in the current context.
    Yes but what from the past few years have shown you Labour are in touch with what the country wants.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

nunu said:

nunu said:

Labour would be (even more) of a laughing stock if they voted against it, even more so since they would either be flat out admitting that they cannot win an election, or that they are happy for their voters to have another four years under the Tories when it doesn't have to be that way.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    nunu said:

Actually Lord Ashcrofts polling shows immigration is number two issue number one was policies should be made here.
    But one of those policies that should be made here is immigration ;) Basically that is what Hannan has been saying for years, he doesn't necessarily want immigration reduced, he just wants to British people to be in charge of it, a view with which I personally have much sympathy (so that we can chuck out various undesirables).
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    nunu said:

hmm polls, you say
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562
    If there is an election now, I take it it would be on the old, 650-seat boundaries not the new, 600-seat ones?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,210
    edited June 2016
    MTimT said:

I have also been thinking that a reciprocal full freedom of travel for those with work offers makes sense. That way Brits abroad working for EU companies can stay in work there, and vice versa for Europeans in the UK. It will also allow our economy access to a larger talent pool.

I also favour grandfathering in those with residence, even if they have no work at present. If applied to our citizens in Europe, then the retirees in Spain etc... would also be grandfathered in. I can see that actually being appealing to both Spain and Portugal - maybe even certain regions of France.
    No-one is seriously suggesting freedom of travel will be limited, so the only area where there can be any discussion is whether the ability to get a National Insurance number and accept employment can be restricted. It seems completely implausible that we would require Europeans to exit the country and then apply for a work visa to reenter with 'worker' status.

That's without addressing the point that anything along those lines would absolutely guarantee the break-up of the UK.
  • Options
    On the immigration point the 2 year notice period in Article 50 can only be reduced by unanimity. So the deal has to be sweet for existing EU residents of the UK. Otherwise a single country could make us wait the full two years during which the current Treaty rights exist. I suspect we'll see a last minute immigration surge to beat the secession day.
  • Options

I suspect we'll see a last minute immigration surge to beat the secession day.

Britain is doing serious damage to its worldwide brand at the moment. The number of people thinking of moving here from stable EU countries is not likely to go up while we're negotiating an exit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,997
    Morning all. Didn't miss much yesterday, did I?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

France beat Ireland.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

If I represented Polish voters I would say piss off. The requirement for a job offer in advance is a huge hurdle even for people with no problem actually finding a job, and the idea that you're going to have to (presumably) pay taxes and national security contributions without being eligible for benefits is so obviously unfair it's hard to imagine them being able to sell it to their constituents.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

No-one is seriously suggesting freedom of travel will be limited, so the only area where there can be any discussion is whether the ability to get a National Insurance number and accept employment can be restricted. It seems completely implausible that we would require Europeans to exit the country and then apply for a work visa to reenter with 'worker' status.

That's without addressing the point that anything along those lines would absolutely guarantee the break-up of the UK.
    Seems you are taking argument with something I haven't said.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    MTimT said:

Seems you are taking argument with something I haven't said.
    Then what does 'reciprocal full freedom of travel for those with work offers' mean if not that those without work offers will face restrictions on their ability to travel?
  • Options

If I represented Polish voters I would say piss off. The requirement for a job offer in advance is a huge hurdle even for people with no problem actually finding a job, and the idea that you're going to have to (presumably) pay taxes and national security contributions without being eligible for benefits is so obviously unfair it's hard to imagine them being able to sell it to their constituents.
    I now live in Australia, and certainly when I moved here on a work visa I had no right to claim benefits but was absolutely required to pay taxes. I think this is pretty much true everywhere. Benefits are not received for making contributions, they are an entitlement for citizenship - at least, thats what the EU told us when we wanted to restrict benefits to people who had not paid in!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    BTW I doubt the requirement for a work offer would do that much to prevent low-skilled immigration, where workers are basically commodities and can easily be interchanged without the employer needing to screen the employees personally. What you'd do would be to stick a middle-man in between which would hire people in large numbers from overseas, do the paperwork to get them the permit and then farm them out to the actual employer.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    Well we certainly have what Ms Plato calls "cut through".

Despite the most historic vote last week it is the Labour meltdown that manages to seieze just about every front page of the newspapers this morning forcing the referendum onto the inside pages.

You really have to hand it to them.

http://news.sky.com/story/1717934/mondays-national-newspaper-front-pages
  • Options
    Then there is the internal renegotiation. Where all going to be shafted by Brexit in the short and medium term. The battle is for the long term. Now that the referendum is over and the useful idiots of the northern and welsh WWC have served their purpose the normal power structures ( elites and parliament ) will reassert themselves. The new dialectic will be between Tory, prosperous and southern leave areas and Remainia. The short and medium term is the easiest bit. The cuts necessitated by Leave can simply be concentrated on the northern WWC areas as the previous customers were. Scotland will punch above it's weight under Sturgeon. It's how the southern Leavers and Remainia reach synthesis that's key. I don't know how yet but it won't be pretty for the northern WWC who've suicide bombed our place in Europe.
  • Options
    After Le Monde was reporting big divisions between Merkel and Hollande over how the EU should respond, we now have an official statement that they are in 'full agreement'.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36637232

It's interesting that the option that the British government could chose not to invoke Article 50 is being absolutely discounted. After the experience with Tsipras, the EU has clearly decided that the use of plebiscites in order to provide leaders with a stronger negotiating hand has to be stamped on hard.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I am a Leave supporter and I agree that

I now live in Australia, and certainly when I moved here on a work visa I had no right to claim benefits but was absolutely required to pay taxes. I think this is pretty much true everywhere. Benefits are not received for making contributions, they are an entitlement for citizenship - at least, thats what the EU told us when we wanted to restrict benefits to people who had not paid in!
    The idea that foreigners should be able to claim welfare is completely alien to everyone else in the world outside the EU. A lot of places give you only a short time to find another job before they ask you to leave.

It is the concept of "EU Citizenship" that means that people from countries as diverse as Ireland and Romaina have to be treated the same by the UK. As has been said by many in recent months, unless and until there is a European Demos the people will not be on board with the tighter integration the EU apparatchiks are so fond of. Look at how they treated Greece for a good example of how this works in practice.
  • Options

Then there is the internal renegotiation. Where all going to be shafted by Brexit in the short and medium term. The battle is for the long term. Now that the referendum is over and the useful idiots of the northern and welsh WWC have served their purpose the normal power structures ( elites and parliament ) will reassert themselves. The new dialectic will be between Tory, prosperous and southern leave areas and Remainia. The short and medium term is the easiest bit. The cuts necessitated by Leave can simply be concentrated on the northern WWC areas as the previous customers were. Scotland will punch above it's weight under Sturgeon. It's how the southern Leavers and Remainia reach synthesis that's key. I don't know how yet but it won't be pretty for the northern WWC who've suicide bombed our place in Europe.

Err - I am pretty sure I watched the results closely and it wasn't the "Tory, prosperous and southern" people voting leave. It was almost everyone except Scotland and London and NI. In fact the Tory areas around London were much softer.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

BTW I doubt the requirement for a work offer would do that much to prevent low-skilled immigration, where workers are basically commodities and can easily be interchanged without the employer needing to screen the employees personally. What you'd do would be to stick a middle-man in between which would hire people in large numbers from overseas, do the paperwork to get them the permit and then farm them out to the actual employer.

Very true. I know of large companies in Dubai that have recruitment roadshows in places like Manila, Mumbai and Nairobi. Say you're opening a large hotel or mall and need 2,000 staff, most of whom would need a flight and visa just to attend the interview for a low skilled job. Much easier to take the company to where the workers live, interview them there and process the paperwork for the successful. Only management jobs are generally advertised in the usual way, with a few transfers between companies along the way.

Here they clamped down hard on the use of foreign agents, after a lot of them on the subcontinent were found to be basically slave owners stealing salaries.
  • Options
    Mail is reporting that the cabinet coup against Corbyn is basically to replace him with a pro EU leader who will then set out to block the result of the referendum being implemented.

Farage must think Christmas has come early.

Labour divided into two factions. Pro EU socially liberal drones and hardline neo trots, neither of which remotely represent the views of constituents outside London.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Just the remainers here having a post dianaesque style nervous breakdown and the site almost making Guidos coments look like peace and harmony
  • Options
    edited June 2016

After Le Monde was reporting big divisions between Merkel and Hollande over how the EU should respond, we now have an official statement that they are in 'full agreement'.

It's interesting that the option that the British government could chose not to invoke Article 50 is being absolutely discounted. After the experience with Tsipras, the EU has clearly decided that the use of plebiscites in order to provide leaders with a stronger negotiating hand has to be stamped on hard.

"the EU has clearly decided that the use of plebiscites in order to provide leaders with a stronger negotiating hand has to be stamped on hard."

Well yes sort off. Cameron thought he would win as did most others including me so I am not sure about the "negotiating position" because there wasn't one. Cameron had already returned from Munich Brussels with his bit of paper in hand saying he'd achieved a great deal. Why then the need to re renegotiate what was said to be a great deal?

Unless it wasn't a great deal after all and the EU knew that.
  • Options

If they had to issue a statement that they were in full agreement, I doubt they could agree on anything!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214

On the immigration point the 2 year notice period in Article 50 can only be reduced by unanimity. So the deal has to be sweet for existing EU residents of the UK. Otherwise a single country could make us wait the full two years during which the current Treaty rights exist. I suspect we'll see a last minute immigration surge to beat the secession day.

So the immigrants aren't worried, then?
  • Options

Mail is reporting that the cabinet coup against Corbyn is basically to replace him with a pro EU leader who will then set out to block the result of the referendum being implemented.

Labour divided into two factions. Pro EU socially liberal drones and hardline neo trots, neither of which remotely represent the views of constituents outside London.

If there's an election later this year, UKIP could take 50 seats from Labour in the working North. If, and it's a big if, they quickly find candidates to stand there and start working hard now in those seats selling the line that Labour are trying to overturn what the people decided.

They also need to massively improve their vetting processes to avoid embarrassment down the line, they should hire an external security company to do the vetting - no matter how much it costs it will be worth it to avoid the headlines.
  • Options

Possibly correct. I think there would be a downward effect but immigration may still end up being too high.

However, the question is whether conceding this would be worth doing for a EU-UK FTA? If not, will the EU realistically agree to an FTA given that we would basically be offering them nothing in return. I know that logic dictates that an FTA is best for both parties, but we are talking about the EU here....
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016

Err - I am pretty sure I watched the results closely and it wasn't the "Tory, prosperous and southern" people voting leave. It was almost everyone except Scotland and London and NI. In fact the Tory areas around London were much softer.
    Yup the WWC are now expecting an end to immigration, more (and better paid) jobs and a much better NHS.

Instead they're going to be faced with even higher unemployment, benefits being slashed even further, no visible change to immigration and an even more cash-strapped NHS.

Boris won't care, they don't vote tory anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sandpit said:

The idea that foreigners should be able to claim welfare is completely alien to everyone else in the world outside the EU. A lot of places give you only a short time to find another job before they ask you to leave.

That's putting it too strongly. If you're on a short-term work visa on the basis of being employed in a particular job, you're liable to lose it if you no longer have a job (or in some places, the specific job you were originally hired for) and a lot of visa categories that are premised on somebody local vouching for you will come with restrictions on claiming benefits. But I don't think a lot of countries explicitly limit the ability to claim benefits to citizens.

Here in Japan foreigners are generally eligible for benefits, but there's some discretion on the part of local authorities, whereas in theory Japanese nationals would be able to claim as of right. However, in practice this doesn't seem to be very different, because when local authorities don't want to pay someone benefits they seem to be quite good at denying them to nationals who technically have a right to them as well. (Occasionally this results in people starving to death.)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Been away a few days.....did I miss much?

That's OGH's line...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

If they had to issue a statement that they were in full agreement, I doubt they could agree on anything!
    Well quite. If you have to say it...
  • Options
    Having worked in very many places worldwide I can concur that entries to the countries require the employing company to guarantee costs of accommodation, pay and flights as well as medical fees and bills. In some cases this had to be covered in a letter that I needed to provide at the flight check in desk as an "OK to board" before they would issue flight ticket at airport. I also had to submit to full medicals n the country on arrival and in two places submit to HIV tests.

The process wasn't hard in all cases as a company handled it for me. The longest was the USA and also Australia. In Australia I had to be replaced by an Australian national and I was only allowed to represent the interests of my company when there.

I also had to pay taxes in some countries but no access to any form of benefits or housing. In most cases they would deport if you fell into that situation.

In the Democratic Republic of the Congo I also had to sign a form saying that after my term I would actually return to the UK rather than try and stay on illegally and seek asylum or residence :lol:

I really wish that those most vocal on this subject would actually see what happens in the real world rather than just what they think happens.
  • Options
    It is said that those who voted Leave were mainly driven by anxieties about immigration. I do not believe that is so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/i-cannot-stress-too-much-that-britain-is-part-of-europe--and-alw/

Tears before bed time....
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    If there's one thing that I particularly enjoy on this site, it's being lectured to by a range of expatriates. Distance, binoculars and strong views seem to run together.
  • Options

Possibly correct. I think there would be a downward effect but immigration may still end up being too high.

However, the question is whether conceding this would be worth doing for a EU-UK FTA? If not, will the EU realistically agree to an FTA given that we would basically be offering them nothing in return. I know that logic dictates that an FTA is best for both parties, but we are talking about the EU here....
    I think the answer to that is very obviously no, the EU wouldn't concede it, at least for the kind of market access Britain has now. People interested in keeping the EU together won't like it because it could encourage other populist movements to push to leave. But even if they wanted to do it, the idea is going to be DOA the minute it's floated to the governments of Poland, Romania etc that represent the people whom the proposal is intended to fuck.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Yup the WWC are now expecting an end to immigration, more (and better paid) jobs and a much better NHS.

Instead they're going to be faced with even higher unemployment, benefits being slashed even further, no visible change to immigration and an even more cash-strapped NHS.

Boris won't care, they don't vote tory anyway.
    Right, they don't normally vote at all, and if they do it's a Lab->UKIP swing which does the Tories no harm at all, and quite possibly some good.
  • Options
    On topic, great article by Keiran. Also, one of the few consolations of the Vote Of Shame is that it seems to have tempted the inimitable Yellow Submarine back to commenting regularly again - long may that last.

There is a lot of headless chicken stuff at present from the politicians and the commentariat. We need to distinguish between what we need to do right now and what can wait. Most stuff can wait and will be done better after a period of reflection.

Leave must mean Leave. The vote must be respected. It may be a colossal mistake but the public can't say they weren't warned of the consequences. They have to be seen through.

"Who will lead Britain?" is the most important question with a mundane answer - there is going to be a Conservative leadership election and it looks very likely now that Boris Johnson will win.

How will he lead it? He has dispensed with Vote Leave's prospectus and manifesto (just what exactly was the meaning of those documents?) but he seems, even after publishing his own mission statement last night, to be hazy about his actual aims. The rest of us will need to be bystanders and hope that the Conservative rank and file can elicit more sense from him than we have had so far.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

What about the rights of existing Brits who have moved to European countries many of whom are retired. Do they lose their rights and maybe have to return to the UK. Most are elderly, most have limited incomes wherever they live.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

Anybody who is still struggling to comprehend the outcome of the referendum should watch the 5 minute film that commences at 45.30 on last Friday's Newsnight...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07gyxdf/newsnight-24062016
  • Options

Much as i regret the Brexit decision I cannot see any gain for any of us in trying to overturn it. A good deal for all those affected has to be the priority now. Labour never fails to exceed my expectations for taking the wrong decisions.
  • Options
    matt said:

If there's one thing that I particularly enjoy on this site, it's being lectured to by a range of expatriates. Distance, binoculars and strong views seem to run together.

Hmmm - most of us remain British citizens and have the right to a view. Liking those views will obviously vary.
  • Options
    felix said:

Much as i regret the Brexit decision I cannot see any gain for any of us in trying to overturn it. A good deal for all those affected has to be the priority now. Labour never fails to exceed my expectations for taking the wrong decisions.
    It was the Labour heartlands of the NE that led the way to Brexit. Does that mean that Jezza is now more in touch with Labour grass root opinion ( if not UK opinion) than those resigning from his shadcab team yesterday.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    K. Pedley states "This uncertainty won’t last forever and our country has faced major crises before and come through the other side. It is possible that the shock of last Thursday is bringing undue panic. That a recession can be avoided. We will do a deal with the EU. This country does have a future. It is possible that a unifying leader may yet emerge and lead the country through this difficult time. In short, Brexit doesn’t have to mean disaster."

You refer to "our country", but given the votes in Scotland and NI, this is the end of the UK. The entity of E&W alone last existed as a completely separate state in the first Elizabethan era as a small relatively impoverished country on the fringes of Europe.

The shambles at the top of both the Tory and Labour parties is exacerbating the crisis. Only the SNP are showing leadership.

The EU is in no mood to a deal with London that would in any way be acceptable to the vast majority of the people who voted Leave - there is a need to restrict immigration to <100k pa (parts of England have been swamped over the last 10-20 years and the infrastructure cannot cope) and to stop the torrent of EU rules and regulations and the malign influence of the ECJ/ECHR - that cannot be achieved by trying to remain within the Single Market or joining EFTA/EAA. England will survive, in a way that it would not have as a predominantly White Anglo-Saxon Protestant country if it had remained within the EU.
  • Options
    felix said:

matt said:

Hmmm - most of us remain British citizens and have the right to a view. Liking those views will obviously vary.
    I'm biased here but I think you get sharpest pb conversations during times when most of Britain is asleep.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2016
    Leave votes were only partly about immigration. To me it was very much a case of too much EU legislation being passed without the voters being consulted. Brown's infamous signing of the Lisbon treaty stands starkly there/. People could do nothing about it until the referendum came. ...Its not just Brown either. The courts interpretation of Human rights, stopping is sending back criminals was yet another thing to infuriate. Blair's uncontrolled immigration and Dave's promise about it that was clearly not tenable added to the feeling of being trampled on. and the voters bit back.

Its the wrong decision overall imho, but I understand why remain lost. Just speak to the ordinary man in the street about it.. They wanted their country back, which of course is nonsense, but the line worked

The lies told by leave will come home to roost over time.

We get the politician we vote for, if we are outside the EU and the nation regrets it, it is all our faults collectively.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737

On topic, great article by Keiran. Also, one of the few consolations of the Vote Of Shame is that it seems to have tempted the inimitable Yellow Submarine back to commenting regularly again - long may that last.

There is a lot of headless chicken stuff at present from the politicians and the commentariat. We need to distinguish between what we need to do right now and what can wait. Most stuff can wait and will be done better after a period of reflection.

Leave must mean Leave. The vote must be respected. It may be a colossal mistake but the public can't say they weren't warned of the consequences. They have to be seen through.

"Who will lead Britain?" is the most important question with a mundane answer - there is going to be a Conservative leadership election and it looks very likely now that Boris Johnson will win.

How will he lead it? He has dispensed with Vote Leave's prospectus and manifesto (just what exactly was the meaning of those documents?) but he seems, even after publishing his own mission statement last night, to be hazy about his actual aims. The rest of us will need to be bystanders and hope that the Conservative rank and file can elicit more sense from him than we have had so far.

Saying that the vote must be respected is fine, but what if those who voted to Leave see that the promises that were made are lies? The main two have already been exposed as such, immigration is unlikely to be cut according to Dan Hannam and the £350million/week to the NHS isn't going to happen and was a 'mistake' according to Farage.
    What if those same people see that Remain exaggerated but were basically right. If Brexit causes this country economic problems even another recession with job losses, more expensive petrol and prices?
    Isn't it rather sadistic to just say that you have made your bed and must now lie on it? The difficult part is to see whether Leavers have changed their minds, since opinion polls have not covered themselves with glory.
    Perhaps the only way we can hope to get out of this mess is if Boris as PM has another change of mind.
  • Options

Saying that the vote must be respected is fine, but what if those who voted to Leave see that the promises that were made are lies? The main two have already been exposed as such, immigration is unlikely to be cut according to Dan Hannam and the £350million/week to the NHS isn't going to happen and was a 'mistake' according to Farage.
    What if those same people see that Remain exaggerated but were basically right. If Brexit causes this country economic problems even another recession with job losses, more expensive petrol and prices?
    Isn't it rather sadistic to just say that you have made your bed and must now lie on it? The difficult part is to see whether Leavers have changed their minds, since opinion polls have not covered themselves with glory.
    Perhaps the only way we can hope to get out of this mess is if Boris as PM has another change of mind.
    Perhaps. But we need to walk rather further down the path before we turn back. Nothing that has happened since Thursday was not predicted before the vote. The public chose this course. Record numbers voted for it. We must not depart from it lightly.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Brexit = toxic.

No-one wants to touch it with a barge pole and for good reason.

Cameron has once again played a blinder!!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

He's now the best hope for Remain, ironically, as his opinions seem very flexible. I think a simple re-run would be hard to sell, but if Scotland leaves the UK, as it probably will, that changes the picture enough to make it worth asking the question again.
  • Options

Leave votes were only partly about immigration. To me it was very much a case of too much EU legislation being passed without the voters being consulted. Brown's infamous signing of the Lisbon treaty stands starkly there/. People could do nothing about it until the referendum came. ...Its not just Brown either. The courts interpretation of Human rights, stopping is sending back criminals was yet another thing to infuriate. Blair's uncontrolled immigration and Dave's promise about it that was clearly not tenable added to the feeling of being trampled on. and the voters bit back.

Its the wrong decision overall imho, but I understand why remain lost. Just speak to the ordinary man in the street about it.. They wanted their country back, which of course is nonsense, but the line worked

We get the politician we vote for, if we are outside the EU and the nation regrets it, it is all our faults collectively.

"Leave votes were only partly about immigration"

I just you are underplaying the immigration issue - it was THE topic of the referendum. For the majority, it was ONLY about immigration.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

I just you are underplaying the immigration issue - it was THE topic of the referendum. For the majority, it was ONLY about immigration.
    Yes underplaying it, the stuff I was hearing was extremely unpleasant in tone. Frankly I was appalled.
  • Options

felix said:

matt said:

I'm biased here but I think you get sharpest pb conversations during times when most of Britain is asleep.
    :)
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Having worked in very many places worldwide I can concur that entries to the countries require the employing company to guarantee costs of accommodation, pay and flights as well as medical fees and bills. In some cases this had to be covered in a letter that I needed to provide at the flight check in desk as an "OK to board" before they would issue flight ticket at airport. I also had to submit to full medicals n the country on arrival and in two places submit to HIV tests.

The process wasn't hard in all cases as a company handled it for me. The longest was the USA and also Australia. In Australia I had to be replaced by an Australian national and I was only allowed to represent the interests of my company when there.

I also had to pay taxes in some countries but no access to any form of benefits or housing. In most cases they would deport if you fell into that situation.

In the Democratic Republic of the Congo I also had to sign a form saying that after my term I would actually return to the UK rather than try and stay on illegally and seek asylum or residence :lol:

I really wish that those most vocal on this subject would actually see what happens in the real world rather than just what they think happens.

All very true, including the HIV test. Not sure why the DRC are too worried about British asylum seekers though!!
  • Options

He's now the best hope for Remain, ironically, as his opinions seem very flexible. I think a simple re-run would be hard to sell, but if Scotland leaves the UK, as it probably will, that changes the picture enough to make it worth asking the question again.
    We cannot ask it again. It means joining the EURO. The Great British Public would not stomach that.. ever.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Ireland starts to set out its stall post Brexit, leave corporation tax alone, we need more concessions;

or we'll quit too

http://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/eu-has-our-corporation-tax-in-its-sights-after-uk-quits-34835831.html
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    Vote Leave constantly sold Brexit to ethnic minority voters in terms of making the immigration system "fair". Saying that Brexit would result in migrants from the EU being subject to the same controls as non-Eu migrants, as opposed to being in the EU meaning any EU citizen can enter Britain at will and this was unfair on those from the Commonwealth subject to increasingly complex restrictions etc etc.

So surely free movement is a red line? Surely once Brexit actually happens, EU citizens should be subject to the same immigration rules as non EU migrants?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/747118270365446144

The most important line for me is "Britain will not get a trade deal immediately - it has to exit first, and then apply for them as a "third country"."
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

felix said:

It was the Labour heartlands of the NE that led the way to Brexit. Does that mean that Jezza is now more in touch with Labour grass root opinion ( if not UK opinion) than those resigning from his shadcab team yesterday.
    Jezza confuses the Labour membership [ especially in London ] with the opinions of traditional Labour voters [ especially in the north ]. Mind you the netire Labour establishment has done that for decades. The price paid in Scotland should be a clear warning to them.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Yes but what from the past few years have shown you Labour are in touch with what the country wants.
    Given the last few days, Labour PLP seems to think that the EU is more important than huge swathes of their own voters.

It's truly bizarre.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016

The most important line for me is "Britain will not get a trade deal immediately - it has to exit first, and then apply for them as a "third country"."

If I understand correctly, the implications of that are terrifying.

How many business would go to the wall in the interim?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    murali_s said:

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/747192479166926848
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Given the last few days, Labour PLP seems to think that the EU is more important than huge swathes of their own voters.

It's truly bizarre.
    But the EU and working people are intrinsically linked. I agree there is (and has been since the war criminal Tony Blair held the reins) a massive disconnect between the PLP and the Labour electorate.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2016
    Pong said:

twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/747118270365446144

If I understand correctly, that's terrifying.

As long as you understand correctly that it's a negotiating position and not fact then I'm not sure why you find it "terrifying"?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

felix said:

My guess is that grassroots Labour opinion in the North East (and elsewhere) is not pro-open door immigration, IRA and Hamas. I could be wrong though.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all
    It's really only England and Wales that need leadership. Scotland has an over abundance of it with arrogant and hubristic Nicola, while N.Ireland is stirring up it's on special juices.

This is the Hour and this is the Time that Boris must take up the burden he has so long wanted, or retire from all leadership ambition forever; A written speech in the Telegraph is not enough!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Well we certainly have what Ms Plato calls "cut through".

Despite the most historic vote last week it is the Labour meltdown that manages to seieze just about every front page of the newspapers this morning forcing the referendum onto the inside pages.

You really have to hand it to them.

http://news.sky.com/story/1717934/mondays-national-newspaper-front-pages

Ha!

One thing I've really noticed is how effed off so many journalists are over Brexit - there's toys throwing en masse. Michael Deacon of the DT has totally lost it, Anna Botting was having a near hysterical meltdown on Sky - the list goes on and on. It's quite extraordinary. They're acting like grounded 14yrs olds.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Didn't you know? 94% of British businesses don't export to the EU. So that's alright then.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

Vote Leave constantly sold Brexit to ethnic minority voters in terms of making the immigration system "fair". Saying that Brexit would result in migrants from the EU being subject to the same controls as non-Eu migrants, as opposed to being in the EU meaning any EU citizen can enter Britain at will and this was unfair on those from the Commonwealth subject to increasingly complex restrictions etc etc.

So surely free movement is a red line? Surely once Brexit actually happens, EU citizens should be subject to the same immigration rules as non EU migrants?

They did indeed, but they also said that Britain would still have full market access to the EU.

Only one of these things is true, so the question is which one. Since the people making the decision are right-wing free-traders who care a lot about market access and not at all about the concerns of working class voters in Labour seats, the most likely outcome is that they prioritize market access and hope the resulting sense of betrayal hits Labour harder than them.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pong said:

The most important line for me is "Britain will not get a trade deal immediately - it has to exit first, and then apply for them as a "third country".

I just don't understand why this is such a problem. Average tariffs to import to the EU under WTO rules are around 2-3%. The pound moves this much in a bad week and it just fell 7%, so exporters to the EU are already net more competitive even if we had to pay tariffs tomorrow. And don't forget that many UK businesses import materials, which are currently subject to the EU common external tariff but there is no reason why the UK would necessarily have to maintain tariffs on imports. Every other country in the World manages to trade with the EU through the tariff barrier. It is not the best possible outcome, but why is it assumed to be such a huge issue?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

murali_s said:

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/747192479166926848
    It's so sad.

The Leave campaign ran a xenophobic and racist campaign. This tw*t (Boris) signed up to that.

I think we will row back from Brexit - but the collateral damage the referendum is going to inflict on the UK is going to be huge.

A lot of people who voted "Leave" are now saying "what have we done - I didn't really mean it"

Of course, the PB Burleys haven't cottoned onto this yet. I would refer them to SeanT - he seems to get it now!
  • Options
    I see Ozzie had a plan all along after all.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,408
    Progressive Labour must be the most out of touch political movement in history. They want to go against the mass Labour movement - the bulk of ordinary members and the union movement - to select a leader who will campaign on a position (pro-EU) rejected by the majority of voters in their constituencies (e.g. 70% in Tristan Hunt's Stoke). They will also look to do things like abstain on cuts, argue that supporting austerity is important to look electable etc.

Their view is that Labour are unelectable so Progressive Labour car say and do these things and the likes of Hunt will be re-elected. No wonder they want to overturn the referendum result, the - San empowered and angry mass electorate is the last thing these elites want.

So yes I think Corbyn has failed to lead. But this lot had no intention of being led by him.
  • Options
    Article 50 delayed to new PM, no change to anything until then, £250bn available from BoE to provide stability.

"We are open for business".
  • Options
    It's Suez on Steroids. We'll survive in the long run. England as we sadly now are is an old country. But last Thursday was the only thing worse than Imperial Overstretch. Just like Suez it's post Imperial Overstretch.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Article 50 delayed to new PM, no change to anything until then, £250bn available from BoE to provide stability.

But no more f*cking immigrants...
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,871
    PlatoSaid said:

£250 bn = 30 years' worth of EU contributions.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

.. despite all the disgraceful smearing that was going on on here over the weekend about GO.

being visible and on the telly proves nothing... its actions that matter
  • Options
    Corbyn is going nowhere. He'll win a new leadership election, though with less support than before, and lead Labour to catastrophic defeat at the next general election. Labour members, such as Nick Palmer, are far more interested in making sure Corbyn is the party's leader than they are in removing the Tories from power. They'll happily watch Boris lead the Brexit negotiations if it means preventing a non-Jezza from taking over the Labour leadership. He is their comfort blanket and what's cosier and more alluring than that? Especially when you're comfortable enough not to be personally affected by the consequences of Tory rule.

But I don't blame those currently seeking to unseat Corbyn. They understand just how unelectable he is and what damage a Boris premiership will do to the people Labour is supposed to care about. Once defeated, hopefully they'll stick at it. But, if not, they'll at least know they tried to do something to prevent the Labour party's death as a potential party of government.
  • Options
    No emergency budget - what a surprise, not.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

He lied.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,501

Progressive Labour must be the most out of touch political movement in history.

Unfair Rochdale.

It was never a political movement, more a jobs and welfare scheme for the unemployable (e.g. Stephen Kinnock, the Milibands, Balls, Burnham).

And very successful it has been. If only it had been so efficient at finding such very good jobs for ordinary people, it wouldn't be in this awful mess now.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @natashamfrost: Big message of Osborne speech's seems to be: you made your bed, and I guess we all have to lie in. Thank God I changed the sheets. #Brexit
This discussion has been closed.