Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron is going, Boris is in hiding and Labour faces civil

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    AnnaAnna Posts: 59
    Scott_P said:

Project fear reality

@KathViner: Pound and shares hit again by Brexit crisis as gilt yields tumble – business live https://t.co/kil7bH0tcg

Amongst the list of financial turmoil - "Gilt yields have plunged to 1%" - isn't that good for our government finances?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559
    PlatoSaid said:

Scott_P said:

Project fear reality

@KathViner: Pound and shares hit again by Brexit crisis as gilt yields tumble – business live https://t.co/kil7bH0tcg

Oh god, not a one-week low for the FTSE!!!!!!!!
    I'm waiting for more absurd Y axis tweets.
    So far the FTSE is holding up. Of course a lot of FTSE100 earnings come from abroad. Smaller companies (the 250) have been sinking since open.

The £ has sunk to just above $1.32 but has held level-ish for the last hour
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JadeFrancesAzim: SHOCK as Brexiters realise:
    1) abstractions are easier said than done
    2) spending mths saying 'we want our country back' leads to racism

Seriously Scott, stop it. This is a serious financial and constitutional crisis. You are literally gloating and the country's institutions thrash around in disarray. It's the equivalent of crowing about the annexation of Poland in 1939.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    A jolly sensible piece on next steps from Matt Ridley - hope he plays a role from the Lords for Brexit.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/give-gove-the-power-to-prepare-for-brexit-now-mlnl59l3n
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Indigo said:

I think that Angela Leadsom used to be a Managing Director for one fund manager, and Cheif Investment Officer for another large one,...

Hang on, that makes her an expert. So she must be wrong.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463
    DanSmith said:

TOPPING said:

DanSmith said:

Scott_P said:

Now here's an idea

@thomasknox: So there must be new GE? Tories offering EEA, Labour (new leader) - stay in EU but try to renegotiate Free Movement. And we choose.

Labour would be destroyed on that platform wouldn't they?
    As would the Cons.
    No, middle England and London will want EEA more than anything, they will want the best option for the economy.

If Labour become a protest party for the WWC they sweep the board in certain areas, but they would be a rump party nationally in that situation.

We live in interesting times.
    Deja Vu all over again. So via EEA we get access to the single market, pay for it, have precious little say over its rules, are subject to ECJ oversight on it, and (ta-da) have free movement also.

And this is an improvement on where we were 2 months ago in what particular way?

I think probably only @Richard_Tyndall and five other people in the country are aware of any more egregious violations by the ECJ of our sovereignty.

VAT on home energy supplies, droite de suite, something else, something else.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

#2 - Another false narrative being pushed I see..

Don't read this, in case you learn something...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/poles-and-muslims-are-targeted-amid-sudden-rise-in-hate-crime-wtl6jm2nz
    As i said after a terrorist attack, these stories happen every time. Unfortunately, these kind of incidents happens every week, but the media don't give them many column inches. The figures show, just as Guardian go big on this massive "anti-muslim" backlash angle after every terrorist attack, it just isn't true.

There are racist incidents every week. However, generally they are very few and far between.

For example, remember that big bust up in Crewe that got no real media exposure. If that happened today it would be front page news as an example of racism towards Eastern Europeans. The reality was it wasn't racism nor even targeting all immigrants, it was to do with kids fighting along ethnic backgrounds that started over something petty i.e. the "locals" weren't fighting the Poles in Crewe, it was a disagreement between "locals" and Slovakian kids and turned into my dad is harder than your dad.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

Used to be a big David Cameron fan but his lack of leadership since Thursday is a disgrace.

You are still the PM - man up.

The 1922 needs to tell Cameron to go now. A 3 month leadership contest is a non starter in the circumstances. We need a proper leader to navigate this crisis not a weeping, broken man.
    You do realise Tory leadership elections take 3 months from start to finish?

Exactly who would stand in the interregnum between Dave quitting and a new leader being elected?
    Gove
    You really want to see the Tory Party destroyed?
    Gove as interim leader - or the current paralysis we have under Cameron and Osborne? I know which I think does least damage to the party. Alternatively, have a coronation of Boris and let's just get on with life.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Scott_P said:

#2 - Another false narrative being pushed I see..

Don't read this, in case you learn something...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/poles-and-muslims-are-targeted-amid-sudden-rise-in-hate-crime-wtl6jm2nz
    As i said after a terrorist attack, these stories happen every time. Unfortunately, these kind of incidents happens every week, but the media don't give them many column inches. The figures show, just as Guardian go big on this massive "anti-muslim" backlash angle after every terrorist attack, it just isn't true.

There are racist incidents every week. However, generally they are very few and far between.

For example, remember that big bust up in Crewe that got no real media exposure. If that happened today it would be front page news as an example of racism towards Eastern Europeans. The reality was it wasn't racism nor even targeting all immigrants, it was to do with kids fighting along ethnic backgrounds that started over something petty i.e. the "locals" weren't fighting the Poles in Crewe, it was a disagreement between "locals" and Slovakian kids and turned into my dad is harder than your dad.
    Remainers don't seem to accept that racism existed in the UK before before last Thursday. It is pretty low point scoring.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Scott_P said:

weejonnie said:

Well the clown won two elections for the London Mayor and the most earth shattering political event in recent history.

Reports say that when he puts his mind to it he is very intelligent and a hard worker - but he has to try and present a more serious frontage to the media for him, and thereby the UK, to be taken seriously.

If he does become leader, I suspect some will point out that he has been sacked twice already for allegedly making stuff up.

Yup, just the guy we need right now
    Treasury forecast ... cough, cough.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Anna said:

Scott_P said:

Project fear reality

Amongst the list of financial turmoil - "Gilt yields have plunged to 1%" - isn't that good for our government finances?
    But not our pensioners....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    murali_s said:

Scott_P said:

Project fear reality

You shouldn't trivialise this bruv!

Factor in the currency devaluation and the FTSE is in significant negative territory.
    I suppose it's lucky most investors are sterling based, then, isn't it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tom Watson for Labour leader ?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,208
    Charles said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:

Project fear reality

You shouldn't trivialise this bruv!

Factor in the currency devaluation and the FTSE is in significant negative territory.
    I suppose it's lucky most investors are sterling based, then, isn't it.
    The investment in your pocket?

Not much consolation if you ultimately want to use your investment to pay for imports.
This discussion has been closed.