Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson looks at the post-referendum purpose of UKIP

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    malcolmg said:

Poor spelling apart ( Tennent's ), though that and the fact that Scotland has a huge variety of craft ales nowadays , only goes to prove that you have never been to or know remotely anything about Scotland. Keep up the good work but try to come out of the 70's. Have another Red Barrel or Carling.

APOLS:

As a kid in the 'Seventies it was all 'Harp', 'Colt' and 'Hoffmeister'. My old-man used to drink Carlsberg-SB'. I tried it and found the taste disgusting. [Gold-Label is nice though!]

Tried 'Tennants', 'Stella' and the rest. Got peeved-off and moved to Guinness (true-brew). Now into Cider and Craft Ales.

:ho-hum:'
  • Options

DavidL said:

A Scottish Tory writes..

'Scotland will have to set up a domestic central bank and adopt the Euro, that seems beyond question: but this is hardly much of a requirement given the position we have now reached. Scotland has an immense opportunity now, if it is properly negotiated and candidly explained by the Scottish Government to the Scottish People; and while Government would have to be honest and frank about the many challenges Scotland will face in the early days of being a new nation, I believe that is now the only decent option which Scotland has. There is no intellectually honest way to justify a cowering acceptance of England’s negative and self destructive decision, and ‘play along’ for the sake of things.

I don’t want to leave the UK, I’ve always been proud to be British and Scottish: but England chose to abandon the British values in which I believe. England is leaving Britain, but Scotland should keep true to the inclusive and international spirit that once made Britain admired. We will still have many ties of course to the UK, but Scotland should now become independent, and take its seat among the nations of the EU.'

http://tinyurl.com/zxhpywm

A hugely significant piece I fear.
    Yep, I support the Union - but you really can't argue against any of that.
    Oh yes you can. Scotland is far, far further away from being a viable country that it was at the time of Sindy. If we went independent we would need to cut public spending by at least 10%, almost certainly more. Our economy is absolutely dependent upon having a single market with rUK. When the UK was in the EU this was guaranteed. That is no longer the case. Even Nicola is saying we need to wait and see what the outcome of the EU/UK discussions are. Leaving to remain in the EU when rUK was out and not a part of the single market would be totally and utterly insane.
    All very true, but as we've just seen populist feeing and solutions can defeat reasoned, evidence based arguments.
    The English might put their emotions before their wallets but the Scots their emotions before their sporrans?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,012
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

They are not hanging about...

@dannyctkemp: This is extraordinary -- French foreign minister calls for new British prime minister 'in coming days' - @AFP

and the EU6 reaction to Brexit is ?

More Europe.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/brexit/nach-brexit-entscheidung-berlin-und-paris-wollen-politische-union-vorantreiben-14307968.html

with 3 of the 6 potentially on the AWOL list thats just amazing.
    You know that whole REMAIN/LEAVE referendum thing? The one where we had a lengthy discussion about whether being in the EU was good or bad and whether we should stay or go?

Well, that's over now. We had the vote and LEAVE won.

You can now stop posting lengthy posts (ouch!) about how terrible the EU is and how beaurocrats eat babies and is responsible for all the wrong in the world. The internal structure of the EU is no longer the UK's concern.
    yeah I dont do long posts, so youre just making it up. Its a negotiation, those in a hurry to get to the table do it because it favourable to them.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    tyson said:

I have a perfect left candidate that I think could reach into Labour heartlands.

He is major supporter of Corbyn, so wouldn't move against Jeremy. But he has a great back story- fought in Afghanistan and Sandhurst trained. He also has a messianic following in Norwich. He is presentable, good looking and communicates easily.

Step forward Clive Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNaSfK31Dxg

I think he'll lead the Labour landslide of 2025

Why are scotland so keen to ditch union with us who gives them virtual independence in our union to persue ever closer union with unelected bureaucrats who hate democracy and want to control everything and to whom Scotland will just be a small state of useful idiots to be manipulated and abused as it suits them?

Maybe they have a better idea of what the actual EU is like and how it works than you do?
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    By-the-way:

New thread started @ 11:30 (BST).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,402
    PlatoSaid said:

rogerh said:

on polling day. You Gov has remain in the lead .It is likely that remain did win the day probably 51:49.We need to sea the total referendum vote split into postal and polling station to check this but my estimate is that leave brought a 2 million vote lead into polling day from postal votes.

I was under the impression that YouGov asked if you were registered to vote/had voted already.

I read earlier today that Populus were the Remain campaigns private pollster. Oh dear me. 55/45 for Remain on the day.

EDIT

"Lord Cooper, a co-founder of the Populus polling company and the architect of the PM’s policy on gay marriage, called to say he thought the margin of victory for Remain would be 60/40. A few hours later, Populus published its final poll of the campaign – giving Remain a commanding ten-point lead.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3659064/ANDREW-PIERCE-Complacency-Number-10-bunker-turned-panic-tears.html#ixzz4Cab3lP68

Very useful link, thank you.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,376

malcolmg said:

Poor spelling apart ( Tennent's ), though that and the fact that Scotland has a huge variety of craft ales nowadays , only goes to prove that you have never been to or know remotely anything about Scotland. Keep up the good work but try to come out of the 70's. Have another Red Barrel or Carling.

APOLS:

As a kid in the 'Seventies it was all 'Harp', 'Colt' and 'Hoffmeister'. My old-man used to drink Carlsberg-SB'. I tried it and found the taste disgusting. [Gold-Label is nice though!]

Tried 'Tennants', 'Stella' and the rest. Got peeved-off and moved to Guinness (true-brew). Now into Cider and Craft Ales.

I have drunk them all , Stella is ok today as an everyday lager, anything below the 5% mark is pretty tasteless.
    I do prefer craft beer or good Cider myself nowadays, would not drink cheap lager at all ( well unless it was that or nothing ).
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited June 2016
    "You Brexit, you Fixit"

It has to be a leaver as conservative leader, no remainer could withstand the contradictions in the job.

Also, with the law of unintended consequences, it is inevitable that the UK is now over, it's gone. All of that history and success of recent centuries and it took a vote to do it. A vote that some probably hadn't even registered as being a vote on the UK.

Scotland, definitely gone, Northern Ireland I do think will come to some agreement with Scotland and the EU. Not convinced of a united Ireland though. What's the Andorra situation? Smaller I know, but they have joint French and Spanish heads of state don't they?

London? This is potentially the most interesting. Many fellow northerners hate London, seeing it is a different country which takes all the money and such (yes,I know, but rational thought has not been the driver here). Well, why not?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

APOLS:

I have drunk them all , Stella is ok today as an everyday lager, anything below the 5% mark is pretty tasteless.
    I do prefer craft beer or good Cider myself nowadays, would not drink cheap lager at all ( well unless it was that or nothing ).
    Tenants was everywhere in Cyprus when I was a pre-teen in the 60s. Pictures of good looking women on every can. Probably crap beer, but in the heat I think (like Bud in the US) anything stronger would have been lethal ...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,178
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

alex. said:

Do people really believe that the EU was a fundamental issue in the Sindy ref? Brexit still feels like an excuse to have another referendum, not necessarily something that will change the outcome.

SNP still haven't remotely answered the economic case. I know people have said that Brexit proves that people will vote for heart over head, but that ignores a few points

1) The Scots didn't last time, by a large margin
    2) The SNP haven't answered the key questions on currency etc. Brexit was purely about the relative extent to which our economy and trade would suffer. The Scottish questions were far more fundamental.
    3) The polls suggested that most people didn't even believe the dire economic warnings about Brexit, so the extent to which they actually thought they were voting against their economic interests is questionable.

One other point - 38% of Scots voted to leave the EU. Whilst allowing for the possibility that some of these might have been "tactical" pro-Independence voters, that's a sizeable proportion in a referendum called on the back of Brexit. Unless Sturgeon can offer a cast iron guarantee that Sindy=back in the EU (and on reasonably favourable terms) I don't see why "Brexit against the Scottish will" should necessarily be enough.

Keep hoping and fingers crossed
    malc you are at least one of the honest Nats whos prepared to take the hit on the wallet for Indy.

Nonetheless next time round the economics have got worse and some of the joke comments on border posst at gretna will be a reality since entering the EU will be on their terms. Different arguments this time round
    For sure Alan, it is us that will be putting up the border posts to stop the starving English getting into the EU.

PS: At least we have another 3 or so years of referendums to keep us happy
    anything but another 3 year campaign :-)
    You trying to pretend you are not excited about the thought of it
    well we'd have to get James and Pork back or it would be no fun !
    For me it is the thought of John Barrowman coming back to tell us we are Better Together.
    John Barrowman seems to have gone the Bruce Forsyth / Dale Winton route with a quiz show of dazzling intelligence :-)

https://youtu.be/xr7WyNVm0TQ

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    My Dad informs me that Wainbody, Earlsdon and St Michaels voted to remain in Coventry with the rest "leave". No link to results though.
  • Options
    AlasdairAlasdair Posts: 72

Scott_P said:

@BBCBreaking: FMs from 6 founding EU members urge UK to start exit negotiations as soon as possible https://t.co/K6pbNn362q https://t.co/zR6kOviI9F

the point about control is we do it at our own pace.
    Won't they all be at the beach for the next two months anyway. Nothing happens during the summer in Europe.
This discussion has been closed.