Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson looks at the post-referendum purpose of UKIP

SystemSystem Posts: 11,727
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson looks at the post-referendum purpose of UKIP

The fruitcakes have taken over the asylum. UKIP, which well under a decade ago was a fringe party – it polled only 3.1% in the 2010 general election – has achieved the purpose for which it was created.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624
    The ANC has far outlasted the end of Apartheid

The Congress Party in India is still around almost 70 years after Independence.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    UKIP has destroyed the UK as a unitary state. It cannot have achieved its purpose.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603
    Traditional parties have a good old row about these matters. In this case Farage vs Carswell's libertarian ideals. Can UKIP do that?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    IanB2 said:

As Remain didn't win, how their promises turn out is rather more academic than the cheaper energy, booming economy and queue-free double-staffed NHS that I am now waiting for from the leavers....

It wasn't a commentary on remain or leave precisely, it was a commentary on people 'realising' things in their campaigns were wrong to do after they were or were not effective.

On topic, Corbyn will survive, even shadow cab members off the record were saying better for him to lose in a GE rather than something like this, which surely means they don't have the votes.

UKIP are a conundrum. Effective and ineffective at the same time.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited June 2016

UKIP has destroyed the UK as a unitary state. It cannot have achieved its purpose.

Oh do feck off. UKIP have fuck all power in the grand scheme of things. It's the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems who have propelled us to where we are today.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited June 2016
    Jermaine Pennant asks the most important question of the day... but gets it all wrong: 'Now we're not in Europe what will happen to the next Euros in 2018?'

A man so thick he once parked his brand new Porsche at a train station car park and forgot he even owned it until his club contacted him....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/my-porsche-forgot-i-even-owned-one-says-jermaine-pennant-2189069.html
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Foriegn Aid.
  • Options
    annak said:
    Jeez, at least I'm waiting a few months before I start publicly regretting thing (as it is I am merely wary, and hopeful things will indeed work out). At least my regret would come from being wrong about just how bad the consequences are, not not realising everyone else might vote Leave too.

Anger at being fed lies is a line people are using, not real - they were told they were lies before they voted, why did they only realise they were lies afterwards?

Seems like more people should have applied the Wollaston test - how would I feel the morning afterwards (I felt I would be disappointed in the event of Remain, anxious in event of Leave, and so it has been).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    annak said:
    I highly doubt a million plus people voted like that. If the margin was of Austrian PM proportions I might consider it.

They can't even claim it was something to do with FPTP and they never thought their vote counted in that seat e.g. all that stuff about UKIP voters denying Tory majority in 2010.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2016
    If the SNP wants to leave because scotland voted to stay in the EU, then in a second referendum the regions of scotland that vote to stay in the UK should also stay in the UK, even if that means partition of scotland.

It's only fair to apply the same standards to them as they apply to us.
    The SNP can take Glasgow and Edinburgh and we keep the border regions and the Shetlands with all the oil in it.
  • Options
    Indeed, or 550k or whatever.

If things are going to shit in 6 months expect a million to say they voted like that though (but by then, too late to do anything)

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    On topic, UKIP has probably already hoovered up a chunk of labour support in the northern towns, and nationally just has to wait for the Tories to start compromising with the EU, then campaign against the government's "betrayal" of the people. If Boris's desired outcome is anywhere near the sorts of things he was letting slip earlier in the campaign, there will be lots of fertile territory.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    'If you've got money, you vote in ... if you haven't got money, you vote out'

Brexit is about more than the EU: it’s about class, inequality, and voters feeling excluded from politics.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/divided-britain-brexit-money-class-inequality-westminster

Mrs Bucket and the other Labour idiots should take note. John Harris on the trail of sneering graduates and those left behind.
  • Options

annak said:
    I highly doubt a million plus people voted like that. If the margin was of Austrian PM proportions I might consider it.

They can't even claim it was something to do with FPTP and they never thought their vote counted in that seat e.g. all that stuff about UKIP voters denying Tory majority in 2010.
    Oh please I can't stop laughing - the Daily Mail is highlighting the plight of these poor people?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624

Nope. The SNP. They can't or won't accept the result of a UK-wide referendum, less than two years after Scotland voted 55% to stay in the UK.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Brexit is about more than the EU: it’s about class, inequality, and voters feeling excluded from politics.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/divided-britain-brexit-money-class-inequality-westminster

Mrs Bucket and the other Labour idiots should take note.

A better question is why we allowed a vote on the EU to be the lightning rod for all these woes. None of which will be solved by leaving, slowly, over the next three years.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016

Scotland has to choose whether to be in the UK or the EU.
  • Options
    How the New York Times is reporting the news:

"LONDON — From Brussels to Berlin to Washington, leaders of the Western democratic world awoke Friday morning to a blunt, once-unthinkable rebuke delivered by the flinty citizens of a small island nation in the North Atlantic. Populist anger against the established political order had finally boiled over.

The British had rebelled.

Their stunning vote to leave the European Union presents a political, economic and existential crisis for a bloc already reeling from entrenched problems. But the thumb-in-your-eye message is hardly limited to Britain. The same yawning gap between the elite and mass opinion is fueling a populist backlash in Austria, France, Germany and elsewhere on the Continent — as well as in the United States."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/world/europe/brexit-eu-politics.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    AndyJS said:

And if it misunderstands its position, it may well end up in neither.
  • Options
    As I now haven't slept for 36 hours, I'm away to bed. Night all.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

A better question is why we allowed a vote on the EU to be the lightning rod for all these woes. None of which will be solved by leaving, slowly, over the next three years.
    No they won't, but Harris provides some interesting insights into things and why UKIP might not be going away anytime soon. If Labour had any sense, they would have him in for "re-education" seminars to teach the likes of Lady Bucket what Labour Party used to stand for and what the reality in the "bubble" is like.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

On topic, UKIP has probably already hoovered up a chunk of labour support in the northern towns, and nationally just has to wait for the Tories to start compromising with the EU, then campaign against the government's "betrayal" of the people. If Boris's desired outcome is anywhere near the sorts of things he was letting slip earlier in the campaign, there will be lots of fertile territory.

The next fight will be over the divorce deal.
    I think a joint committee by the Leave camp including Farage will be necessary.

Since Farage controls UKIP with an iron fist, it's imperative to have him sign the Brexit terms too, in order to cover the right flank.
    Labour representatives will be needed also, but only Leavers, in order to cover the left flank.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Speedy

If I ever had doubts about my (relatively recent) conversion to Scottish independence then contributions like yours remind me why it is now the only way ahead.

Scotland is a country not a county.

Note that tomorrow the fiercest opponent of Scottish indendence The Daily Record newspaper comes very close to endorsing it tomorrow on the European issue. The game is up.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2016

It was the Remain Campaign that turned it into a lightning rod for all those woes. They turned it into a referendum on the economic status quo -- working-class voters decided they rather liked the sound of torching the economy as it currently stands, since they were getting so little from it, whatever replaced it couldn't possibly be worse.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904

Oh do feck off. UKIP have fuck all power in the grand scheme of things. It's the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems who have propelled us to where we are today.

No. It's the Tories who have propelled us to where we are today. Labour and the LibDems have failed to stop it, due to astonishing inadequacy on both parts, but the Tories have done the moving.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AndyJS said:

As I said many times, in the case of a second scottish referendum the regions that vote to stay in the UK should leave scotland and stay in the UK.
    That would result of course in a new border a few miles south of Glasgow and no Shetlands or North Sea oil for the SNP, Edinburgh might even become a split city with Holyrood on the wrong side of the border.

It's the same argument the SNP makes now regarding scotland and the EU, so it's fair game.
  • Options
    Since it distracts from the nervous reality, I'm enjoying all sorts of counter factuals or far out hypotheses - we have this odd situation where the majority of MPs disagreed with the decision yesterday, and even those suicidal ideas floated pre vote they could ignore the non-binding vote - but can you imagine if they had the balls to pass a bill for a rerun? No way it'd get through the commons, but if it did no doubt the lords would pass it, and would we then be into actual revolution territory, rather than waiting for a GE?!

These are crazy times and my country, the U.K., is likely to be gone but for a diminished core in a few years (we were on the way out anyway) and we face a difficlut path to navigate even to that. I really wished I did not experience such interesting times.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Since it distracts from the nervous reality, I'm enjoying all sorts of counter factuals or far out hypotheses - we have this odd situation where the majority of MPs disagreed with the decision yesterday, and even those suicidal ideas floated pre vote they could ignore the non-binding vote - but can you imagine if they had the balls to pass a bill for a rerun? No way it'd get through the commons, but if it did no doubt the lords would pass it, and would we then be into actual revolution territory, rather than waiting for a GE?!

These are crazy times and my country, the U.K., is likely to be gone but for a diminished core in a few years (we were on the way out anyway) and we face a difficlut path to navigate even to that. I really wished I did not experience such interesting times.

Oh, and at least we don't have a crazy recall system like Venezuela, or no doubt some would be out collecting millions of physical signatures as we speak.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    kle4 said:

...Seems like more people should have applied the Wollaston test...

"Does my career look big in this?"

• Options
    scotslass said:

Speedy

If I ever had doubts about my (relatively recent) conversion to Scottish independence then contributions like yours remind me why it is now the only way ahead.

Scotland is a country not a county.

Note that tomorrow the fiercest opponent of Scottish indendence The Daily Record newspaper comes very close to endorsing it tomorrow on the European issue. The game is up.

Never do to others what you don't want others to do to you.

If you split because you want to stay in the EU then those who want to stay in the UK should also have the right to split from you.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Danny565 said:

It was the Remain Campaign that turned it into a lightning rod for all those woes. They turned it into a referendum on the economic status quo -- working-class voters decided they rather liked the sound of torching the economy as it currently stands, since they were getting so little from it, whatever replaced it couldn't possibly be worse.
    Go and read the John Harris pieces he has done over the past few weeks....he doesn't think the sight of Farage or Boris or Gove doing a dance had much to do with it. The voters of Stoke or Northampton don't like them much.

It was coming, its been coming for years...this was a chance for a large number of people to make their voice heard where traditional FPTP GE doesn't and they took it.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Yes. Even if it turns out wrong, they felt they had nothing to lose, that there were no benefits to the EU, and no fear from recession. Could get ugly, I hope the next chancellor has a plan
  • Options
    "Even those who understand that something seismic is afoot among predominantly working-class voters are still too keen on the idea that they are gullible enough to be led over a cliff by people with whom they would actually disagree, if only they knew the facts. But most people are not really being “led” by anyone. In my experience, Farage, Boris Johnson and Michael Gove et al are viewed by most people with as much cynicism as the people fronting the remain campaign. Moreover, this argument is dangerously redolent of that lousy old Marxist trope of “false consciousness”, whereby people enthusiastically following the supposedly wrong cause are only a speech or poster away from enlightenment, and a sharp left turn."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/23/united-kingdom-two-nations-political-chasm-left
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Yes. Even if it turns out wrong, they felt they had nothing to lose, that there were no benefits to the EU, and no fear from recession. Could get ugly, I hope the next chancellor has a plan
    The initial panic in the morning was simply people caught with their pants down.

I predict that by next Friday things will have calmed down, unless a banker or a trader had bet the farm on Remain there wont be any short of crisis but a bit of personal political discomfort that will linger on.

Even petrol prices won't rise, Brent Crude fell today by almost as much as the Pound.
  • Options
    And London should split from England as thousands of people have already signed up to!

I was making the point that attitudes like yours are one of the reasons why Scottish nationalism is the dominant force in politics. It is as it happens fundamentally more attractive than the versions we see down south. Of course I shouldn't really discourage you. You are a recruiting agent for the SNP.

However the real point is that your partition ideas would be rejected not just by Scottish nationalists but by the vast majority of Scottish unionists, because most unionists believe that Scotland is a nation. Now have a look at the Euro poll. It was not just Scotland but every single local authority in the country that voted to Remain in Europe.

Read the Record on line tomorrow. Remember that is coming from the most vehemently anti independence paper in the country. The game is indeed up.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,190

Danny565 said:

Go and read the John Harris pieces he has done over the past few weeks....he doesn't think the sight of Farage or Boris or Gove doing a dance had much to do with it. The voters of Stoke or Northampton don't like them much.

It was coming, its been coming for years...this was a chance for a large number of people to make their voice heard where traditional FPTP GE doesn't and they took it.
    I think you're right. I had a conversation with a taxi driver this afternoon, and the impression I got that his LEAVE vote was simply a desire to take control. In that respect the vote was good, although I reiterate my concern that those who courted the LEAVE vote so assiduously will now abandon them (see previous posts)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

...Seems like more people should have applied the Wollaston test...

"Does my career look big in this?"

:lol:
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

"LONDON — From Brussels to Berlin to Washington, leaders of the Western democratic world awoke Friday morning to a blunt, once-unthinkable rebuke delivered by the flinty citizens of a small island nation in the North Atlantic. Populist anger against the established political order had finally boiled over.

Their stunning vote to leave the European Union presents a political, economic and existential crisis for a bloc already reeling from entrenched problems. But the thumb-in-your-eye message is hardly limited to Britain. The same yawning gap between the elite and mass opinion is fueling a populist backlash in Austria, France, Germany and elsewhere on the Continent — as well as in the United States."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/world/europe/brexit-eu-politics.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0

Be alert to a shy-Trump effect between now and November...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    scotslass said:

And London should split from England as thousands of people have already signed up to!

I was making the point that attitudes like yours are one of the reasons why Scottish nationalism is the dominant force in politics. It is as it happens fundamentally more attractive than the versions we see down south. Of course I shouldn't really discourage you. You are a recruiting agent for the SNP.

However the real point is that your partition ideas would be rejected not just by Scottish nationalists but by the vast majority of Scottish unionists, because most unionists believe that Scotland is a nation. Now have a look at the Euro poll. It was not just Scotland but every single local authority in the country that voted to Remain in Europe.

Read the Record on line tomorrow. Remember that is coming from the most vehemently anti independence paper in the country. The game is indeed up.

The SNP is also the best recruiting agent for the Tories, it's your fault that Cameron won the 2015 GE.
    He scared people that Salmond was coming to take their money and their rights.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    viewcode said:

Danny565 said:

I think you're right. I had a conversation with a taxi driver this afternoon, and the impression I got that his LEAVE vote was simply a desire to take control. In that respect the vote was good, although I reiterate my concern that those who courted the LEAVE vote so assiduously will now abandon them (see previous posts)
    Labour need to listen properly. Or a new party. And the Tories...many working class folk under Thatcher, worked hard, bought their council house, moved upward in life etc etc etc.

Otherwise there will be big trouble, not just lots of angry people stomping to the ballot box.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

You doing a model for POTUS2016, Rod? You made no predictions for Brexit due to insufficient data but that's over now and November beckons...
  • Options
    And Cameron now has his just deserts. But if people are dumb enough to elect Cameron then they probably will be dumb enough to elect Johnstone. Luckily we likely won't be around for you to blame any more for your spectacularly bad political choices!

More seriously Milliband managed to lose the election by his own total ineptitude. There are few signs that Labour leadership is improving!
  • Options

viewcode said:

Danny565 said:

Labour need to listen properly. Or a new party. And the Tories...many working class folk under Thatcher, worked hard, bought their council house, moved upward in life etc etc etc.

Otherwise there will be big trouble, not just lots of angry people stomping to the ballot box.
    Agreed
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

On the political appeal of unreason:

http://www.perc.org.uk/project_posts/trump-and-the-charisma-of-unreason/

Vote Trump because you don't know what he will do next, vote Leave because you do not know what to do next.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    AndyJS said:

Also a big city, rural and suburban divide in terms of where that revolt gains hold
  • Options

"Even those who understand that something seismic is afoot among predominantly working-class voters are still too keen on the idea that they are gullible enough to be led over a cliff by people with whom they would actually disagree, if only they knew the facts. But most people are not really being “led” by anyone. In my experience, Farage, Boris Johnson and Michael Gove et al are viewed by most people with as much cynicism as the people fronting the remain campaign. Moreover, this argument is dangerously redolent of that lousy old Marxist trope of “false consciousness”, whereby people enthusiastically following the supposedly wrong cause are only a speech or poster away from enlightenment, and a sharp left turn."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/23/united-kingdom-two-nations-political-chasm-left

When new ideas and new policies are not allowed to take hold at the time when existing ones have failed, then the pressure boils up until a resurfacing event takes place.

It happened in scotland, Brexit shows it may happen elsewhere.
    In scotland the working class already had their succesful revolt by throwing out the corrupt and incompetent S.Labour establishment and replacing it with the SNP.

In the rest of the country or indeed the West it hasn't happened yet, but it's getting very close to occurring, in Austria it failed by a few thousand votes last month.

Parties and groups with entirely new ideas and policies, whether left wing or right wing, are mushrooming.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

On the political appeal of unreason:

http://www.perc.org.uk/project_posts/trump-and-the-charisma-of-unreason/

Vote Trump because you don't know what he will do next, vote Leave because you do not know what to do next.
    There is also a...well I am f##ked at the moment, how much more f##ked can I be. Trump has been doing well with all those people whose jobs and communities have gone downhill with outsourcing of blue collar workers.

There was the bloke in the Harris video in Stoke when asked aren't you worried about all these warning of how Brexit will screw the economy and the guy basically goes have you seen round here, its been f##ked for decades, how much worse can it get.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

When new ideas and new policies are not allowed to take hold at the time when existing ones have failed, then the pressure boils up until a resurfacing event takes place.

In scotland the working class already had their succesful revolt by throwing out the corrupt and incompetent S.Labour establishment and replacing it with the SNP.

In the rest of the country or indeed the West it hasn't happened yet, but it's getting very close to occurring, in Austria it failed by a few thousand votes last month.

Parties and groups with entirely new ideas and policies, whether left wing or right wing, are mushrooming.
    We have commented on here a few times (and I think it requires further exploration), when was the last time we have had a major political party announce a new policy idea that is a) new, b) radical, c) workable and d) has some chance of succeeding...

At the moment Tories are more of the same and Corbyn is back to the future of the failed 70's.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

And Cameron now has his just deserts. But if people are dumb enough to elect Cameron then they probably will be dumb enough to elect Johnstone. Luckily we likely won't be around for you to blame any more for your spectacularly bad political choices!

More seriously Milliband managed to lose the election by his own total ineptitude. There are few signs that Labour leadership is improving!

The SNP was seen as the anti-establishment party in scotland, but outside of it is regarded as a fascist party.
    The fear of SNP rule in a coalition with Labour drove people to the Tories for protection in the last election.

But the SNP's rainbow coalition is straining, ironically now that SLAB have been thrown out they are regarded as the evil establishment, and that is starting to fuel the Tories in scotland.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

You doing a model for POTUS2016, Rod? You made no predictions for Brexit due to insufficient data but that's over now and November beckons...
    I've already said I think Trump will win. There's a plethora of models out there to either support or contradict that opinion.

Re Brexit.

I wouldn't make a prediction, because I couldn't. It would be guesswork. All we had were the polls, which had to speak for themselves, and were changeable.

Before Jo Cox, I said the polls, at face value, were pointing strongly for Brexit, and even people like Hanretty and Kellner were being too cautious in their estimates of the chance of LEAVE.

Afterwards, I said I didn't believe the milking of the tragedy by one side had changed many votes, but most likely had induced a shy-LEAVE factor instead.

After a few results last night, I warned "POLLING DISASTER ALERT."
  • Options

Speedy said:

We have commented on here a few times (and I think it requires further exploration), when was the last time we have had a major political party announce a new policy idea that is a) new, b) radical, c) workable and d) has some chance of succeeding...

At the moment Tories are more of the same and Corbyn is back to the future of the failed 70's.
    Most likely the future, or at least the present looks like this:
    https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/746181566351679492

The problem with Labour or any left wing party is the confusion between international solidarity and globalization.
    Many think that support for internationalism is support for globalization.

In times like these were globalization is anathema to the little guy, it tends to doom centre-left parties the world over.

You can be a decent left wing voter and not support globalist institutions, but the Labour and the SNP establishments equate opposition to globalization as bigotry, hence they turn those voters away.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

I've already said I think Trump will win. There's a plethora of models out there to either support or contradict that opinion.

Ah, OK. I was hoping for a more definitive answer, but looks like I'm going to have to hit the books again. Any modellers you can recommend?
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Once London becomes independent there can be a referendum to decide whether Bexley, Hillingdon, Havering and Sutton should be booted out.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    edit
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Re Brexit.

I wouldn't make a prediction, because I couldn't. It would be guesswork. All we had were the polls, which had to speak for themselves, and were changeable.

Before Jo Cox, I said the polls, at face value, were pointing strongly for Brexit, and even people like Hanretty and Kellner were being too cautious in their estimates of the chance of LEAVE.

Afterwards, I said I didn't believe the milking of the tragedy by one side had changed many votes, but most likely had induced a shy-LEAVE factor instead.

After a few results last night, I warned "POLLING DISASTER ALERT."
    The same people who don't vote in UK GE's are the same people who don't vote in U.S presidential elections. The American polls are downweighting Trumps supporters because " they never vote" well they do if fired up enough as with Brexit. Add 3 percent to trumps numbers the polls are wrong, again.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    AndyJS said:

scotslass said:

Once London becomes independent there can be a referendum to decide whether Bexley, Hillingdon, Havering and Sutton should be booted out.
    Indeed, London can follow the South African apartheid model, with surrounding Townships outside to provide day labour for the rich London citizens, so long as they leave London by nightfall.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

Ah, OK. I was hoping for a more definitive answer, but looks like I'm going to have to hit the books again. Any modellers you can recommend?

I don't think any models based on the politics as usual will be of much use this year. Trump has torn up the rule book.

However, while - like Rod - I had thought it was Trump's to lose, unlike Rod, I think the last few weeks have lost it for him.
  • Options
    Matthew Parris has written an article saying the referendum result may have to be ignored in certain circumstances.
  • Options
    Interesting analysis by Eric Kaufman:

"Culture and personality, not material circumstances, separate Leave and Remain voters. This is not a class conflict so much as a values divide that cuts across lines of age, income, education and even party. A nice way to show this is to examine the relationship between so-called ‘authoritarianism’ questions such as whether children should obey or the death penalty is appropriate, and support for the EU. The British Election Study’s internet panel survey of 2015-16 asked a sample of over 24,000 individuals about their views on these matters and whether they would vote to leave the EU. The graph below, restricted to White British respondents, shows almost no statistically significant difference in EU vote intention between rich and poor. By contrast, the probability of voting Brexit rises from around 20 per cent for those most opposed to the death penalty to 70 per cent for those most in favour. Wealthy people who back capital punishment back Brexit. Poor folk who oppose the death penalty support Remain."

http://www.fabians.org.uk/brexit-voters-not-the-left-behind/
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

They are almost all summarised here.
    http://pollyvote.com/en/
  • Options
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    Greetings from Singapore! No surprise for guessing what's completely dominating the news. Briefing by the High Commisioner being broadcast live in half an hour....
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    FTSE finishes week UP by 2%, surely some mistake ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Greetings from Singapore! No surprise for guessing what's completely dominating the news. Briefing by the High Commisioner being broadcast live in half an hour....

Greetings.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Culture and personality, not material circumstances, separate Leave and Remain voters. This is not a class conflict so much as a values divide that cuts across lines of age, income, education and even party. A nice way to show this is to examine the relationship between so-called ‘authoritarianism’ questions such as whether children should obey or the death penalty is appropriate, and support for the EU. The British Election Study’s internet panel survey of 2015-16 asked a sample of over 24,000 individuals about their views on these matters and whether they would vote to leave the EU. The graph below, restricted to White British respondents, shows almost no statistically significant difference in EU vote intention between rich and poor. By contrast, the probability of voting Brexit rises from around 20 per cent for those most opposed to the death penalty to 70 per cent for those most in favour. Wealthy people who back capital punishment back Brexit. Poor folk who oppose the death penalty support Remain."

Kahan does a lot of this sort of analysis at the Cultural Cognition project:

http://www.culturalcognition.net/blog/
  • Options
    One for Rod Crosby:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/british-lose-right-to-claim-that-americans-are-dumber

This is a dark day,” he said. “But I hold out hope that, come November, Americans could become dumber than us once more"
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AndyJS said:

Matthew Parris has written an article saying the referendum result may have to be ignored in certain circumstances.

I think Mathew Parris should be ignored in all circumstances.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

scotslass said:

all white majority councils.....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

The FTSE 250 doesn't look too bad when viewed over the year. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Also, surely Brexit is easily avoidable? Call a General Election and FPTP will ensure a pro-EU parliament is elected.
  • Options

Also, surely Brexit is easily avoidable? Call a General Election and FPTP will ensure a pro-EU parliament is elected.

Lol.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

The FTSE 250 doesn't look too bad when viewed over the year. Am I missing something?

The pound took a huge dive as well so if you're looking at a drop even in pounds, that's a monster amount of money that just disapeared.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    More scaremongering:

The UK has had its credit rating outlook downgraded to "negative" by the ratings agency Moody's after the country voted to leave the EU.

added: "In Moody's view, the negative effect from lower economic growth will outweigh the fiscal savings from the UK no longer having to contribute to the EU budget."
  • Options

That would be more damaging than leaving the EU.
  • Options

You think the voters might notice ?
  • Options

More scaremongering:

The UK has had its credit rating outlook downgraded to "negative" by the ratings agency Moody's after the country voted to leave the EU.

added: "In Moody's view, the negative effect from lower economic growth will outweigh the fiscal savings from the UK no longer having to contribute to the EU budget."

Ratings agencies seemed to be happy to give triple A grades to buckets of excrement prior to 2008, not sure how seriously they should be taken these days.
  • Options

The pound took a huge dive as well so if you're looking at a drop even in pounds, that's a monster amount of money that just disapeared.
    And when the pound rebounds in a month or two there will be a monster amount of money reappearing/made, also without anyone having done anything, such is life in the city ;)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Indigo said:

I just watched a bit of Newsnight. There was a bod (Mr Powell?) suggesting just this thing. The new Conservative leader should 'seek a mandate' and call a general election, the other parties could then put 'stay in EU' in their prospectuses.

No election before we've finalised leaving the EU!
  • Options

Was there a big expat referendum vote in Singapore?
  • Options

Indigo said:

I just watched a bit of Newsnight. There was a bod (Mr Powell?) suggesting just this thing. The new Conservative leader should 'seek a mandate' and call a general election, the other parties could then put 'stay in EU' in their prospectuses.

Boris standing on a leave prospectus, and Corbyn on a remain, after the voters see that World War 3 doesn't happen over the next couple of months and that most of Project Fear was bullshit, as well as almost the entire Tory party united behind Leave...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Culture and personality, not material circumstances, separate Leave and Remain voters. This is not a class conflict so much as a values divide that cuts across lines of age, income, education and even party. A nice way to show this is to examine the relationship between so-called ‘authoritarianism’ questions such as whether children should obey or the death penalty is appropriate, and support for the EU...

Interesting, but bear in mind one of the key papers on this subject was recently retracted because the researchers had got their results backwards. They've now released a correction, saying:
    The interpretation of the coding of the political attitude items in the descriptive and preliminary analyses portion of the manuscript was exactly reversed. Thus, where we indicated that higher scores in Table 1 (page 40) reflect a more conservative response, they actually reflect a more liberal response. Specifically, in the original manuscript, the descriptive analyses report that those higher in Eysenck’s psychoticism are more conservative, but they are actually more liberal; and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative
    See http://retractionwatch.com/2016/06/07/conservative-political-beliefs-not-linked-to-psychotic-traits/
    and the abstract linked there: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S019188691630232X

Clearly, any claimed link between policies and personality needs to be checked to make sure it doesn't rely on the retracted paper, directly or indirectly.

• Options
    Indigo said:

More scaremongering:

Ratings agencies seemed to be happy to give triple A grades to buckets of excrement prior to 2008, not sure how seriously they should be taken these days.
    F@ck the experts!
  • Options
    Re: UKIP
    I think they'll fade away. The EU parliament election was what gave them elected representatives, publicity, and funding. Without that, and without the sovereignty issue they're back to losing Westminster by-elections.

The Conservatives will enter the next election with a Leave MP leader. I'd expect that to make the Conservatives the temporary home of much of UKIP's current support.

UKIP activists joining Con/Lab parties and working to de-select Remain MPs might be an interesting development though.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    What happens to the Trump business empire if he becomes POTUS ? It's not like it's stock that can be put into a blind trust. Will he have to sell pre-election?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Boris standing on a leave prospectus, and Corbyn on a remain, after the voters see that World War 3 doesn't happen over the next couple of months and that most of Project Fear was bullshit, as well as almost the entire Tory party united behind Leave...
    No. We've voted to Leave, I don't want to see that issue re-opened until we've finalised leaving the EU.

---------

France.
    Mr Juppe and Mme Le Pen are both advocating an EU referendum. Looks like it will be an issue in the french presidential election.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    Indigo said:

More scaremongering:

Given the impact they have on market sentiment and the likelihood of this pushing up our borrowing costs, I'd say "very"
  • Options
    for anyone who thinks we can re-open the issue please listen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpo9qzsfL4
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Remain isn't a thing any more. The choice has been made, it's just paperwork to be done now.

"rejoin" might become a thing in the future, but not until leave has been carried through all the way. Regardless, there is no more "remain", that's off the table now.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    Those that are rejecting the will of the people should contemplate this piece.....

"Few seem willing to accept that people simply passed a rational, considered judgment on the EU. Ordinary people, who might not have PhDs or read the Guardian or know absolutely everything about how the EU works (but then, who does?), have decided they don’t want to be tied to Brussels. That’s it. We shouldn’t twist this, or demonise it, or delegitimise it by saying it’s a coded expression of hatred or confusion, for that is to demean democracy. The people were asked a simple question, and they gave a stirring answer."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/democracy-beauty-glory/

You may well dislike that answer but the one unassailable fact is the people decided and while doing so rubbed the establishments nose in democracy. That is why Remain (and Rump EU for that matter) are in so much shock. Their elitist attitudes of "we always know what's best for you" bypassed if not ignored entirely the very people they needed to have on board. It's a shame because Remain had an important message to send. By simply treating people as idiots and abusing those with an alternative view as racists "TysonTirades" always wins few hearts and even less votes at the ballot box.

We are now in a Kübler-Ross model where Remainers are somewhere between denial and anger. They really only have themselves and the campaign of " project Sneer" to blame. They brought "this mess" as they like to describe it entirely on themselves.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Indigo said:

More scaremongering:

F@ck the experts!
    Not at all. Experts with a solid record of respectable findings and political neutrality and uncontroversial funding should received a careful and fair hearing. Experts with a political axe to grind, or partisan funding, or who would benefit from one outcome or the other should be viewed with at least a healthy suspicion, as clearly should so called experts with a track record of being wrong!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2016
    The seeds of this vote have been growing for a long time, but the main cause was Brown's Lisbon Treaty without consulting the Nation...plus Blairs unlimited immigration then the plethora of court cases with criminals who could not be sent home (and the judges seeming delight in giving such judgments) and there you are. You can kick the ordinary "man in the street" so much. Now we have the result.

The irony is that, financially, post the EU, its going to be "the man in the street" that suffers the most as a result of an EU exit.

As for me. I have no party any more, I am absolutely disgusted by all of them, but especially the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: The Times: "Islamic State said last night it was delighted with the negative economic effect of the referendum result".

Wow, who saw that coming?

Oh, wait...
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Remain isn't a thing any more. The choice has been made, it's just paperwork to be done now.
    I agree completely, I was just observing for those that felt there was some mileage in attempting to do and end run around the referendum by way of a general election, that the numbers and likely winner were not exactly on their side.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Indigo said:

More scaremongering:

Given the impact they have on market sentiment and the likelihood of this pushing up our borrowing costs, I'd say "very"
    Well....You really should have made that point more strongly during the debates if you truly feel that way. You certainly had a message to bring to the table

Instead you took up valuable time by just denouncing any and all opponents of being racist, xenophobic little Englanders. Should have just called them bigots and had done with it.
  • Options

Indigo said:

More scaremongering:

Given that 10 year UK gilts just dropped to a record low I am not sure funding is a particular problem at the moment.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: The Times: "Islamic State said last night it was delighted with the negative economic effect of the referendum result".

Wow, who saw that coming?

Oh, wait...

and if we had remained they would have been delighted by that as well... I believe it's called politics.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    An early election would see UKIP relying on the notion of "go on then, show some gratitude for getting us out the EU, you buggers". Their prospectus would otherwise be - what exactly? They have about as much to offer now as the Referendum Party.

A UKIP by 2020 will have lost its funding, lost its MEP's, may well have seen Farage retire or at least ennobled (ugh!). I suggest the party itself will still be seen as the retirement home for grumpy middle-aged white men. It desperately needs to attract a wider profile. But if you are interested in a career in politics, what young SPAD wannabe is going to join UKIP to get ahead?

It's possible there could be a Westminster by-election in a strongly Leave seat, that allows Farage yet another opportunity to get to the House of Commons. But let's face it, Leave won in spite of his ego-driven antics, not because of them. Even within Leave, there were many who would have happily sent him to St. Kilda to count seabirds for a couple of months. He was reviled by Remain voters - and their determination to keep him out of power will have no doubt been redoubled by the result. UKIP quickly needs a new face if it is to hang around.

It probably needs a rebranding exercise too. We will be independent from the EU by 2020. What else do they want us to be independent from next for heavens sake? And the UK may well be a reduced, disunited kingdom
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @KayBurley: Great news that there'll be an extra £350m a week to spend on the NHS...
    #EURefResults https://t.co/K5mzsJeYKe
This discussion has been closed.