Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Granny storming the barricades

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,924

Crickey the Currant Bun giving Cameron a kicking tomorrow, right in the Junckers.

Why would he care?

I am sure he doesn't. Just they are really pouring the bucket of cold sick over him. Given how much support they have given him over the years, I wasn't expecting the both barrels "you lazy f##ker cutting and running when there is hard work to do" headline.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,014

Pro_Rata said:

Lowlander said:

Boris's job will be to oversee the process on the rUK's behalf. It's for the Scots to decide. Would there even be much of a contest?

Ruth has already come out and re-stated her absolute objection to another referendum. However, Adam Tomkins on Scotland Tonight was rather muted (he's usually a very hardcore BritNat even calling his blog "Notes from North Britain").

So there will be a rag tag of Scottish Tories, maybe the odd SLabber but I think the bulk of SLab will be going Yes this time or at least keeping a low profile. I think the newspapers are more Yes now too.

BBC is the hardest to call, it's had some changes in its news staff but I'm not up to date on which way this has swung things.

The tone of Kirstie Warks piece on Newsnight is that it's game over; Scotland is gone. We'll miss them, they may even miss us, but it's time to split as amicably and as quickly as possible.

I would like Scotland to stay but, if this goes ahead, I could no longer argue for it.

Anyway, I've a Scottish grandfather and would look to dual-passport.
    I think many Scots would say tonight that it is us in england who has done the "going".
    Don't forget Wales!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,403
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

WE ARE FREE. WE ARE A FREE PEOPLE. FREE

Nothing, but nothing, will ever compare to this

FREE

We're trying to have a sensible discussion here. Go away. You're boring.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @rottenborough it's not a proper brandy, more an eau de vie in which you steep walnuts for months and spiced. Wet walnuts, which you get at this time of year, are very juicy (and stain skin, as everyone who remembers children's fairytales will recall).
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941

Lowlander said:

Boris's job will be to oversee the process on the rUK's behalf. It's for the Scots to decide. Would there even be much of a contest?

Ruth has already come out and re-stated her absolute objection to another referendum. However, Adam Tomkins on Scotland Tonight was rather muted (he's usually a very hardcore BritNat even calling his blog "Notes from North Britain").

So there will be a rag tag of Scottish Tories, maybe the odd SLabber but I think the bulk of SLab will be going Yes this time or at least keeping a low profile. I think the newspapers are more Yes now too.

BBC is the hardest to call, it's had some changes in its news staff but I'm not up to date on which way this has swung things.

The tone of Kirstie Warks piece on Newsnight is that it's game over; Scotland is gone. We'll miss them, they may even miss us, but it's time to split as amicably and as quickly as possible.

Kirsty Wark is one of the high heid yins of the Labour mafia in Scotland. If she's going there that would be very interesting. I've seen others, McLeish I mentioned earlier but also social rights lawyer Mike Dailly and other inner circle non-politician SLabbers all seem to be making pro-Yes noises.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Cameron has failed to stay in Downing Street as long as John Major.

If only he had urged a LEAVE vote, he would still be PM...
    Imagine if he had come back from the EU talks and said this is the deal they are offering. I don't think it is enough, but its up to you. History would be very very different.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,158

Thrak said:

Lowlander said:

24th June 2016, forever to be remembered as the day the UK died. After all these centuries its heartbreaking. All the people who fought and died for it, bestriding the world as an empire. Now to end with its destroyers haggling over its twitching corpse.
    It is sad.

It's done it's time. We should celebrate what it was and all that it achieved, and we'll always be more than just neighbours, but England and Scotland are now on totally different trajectories. It makes no sense to stay together.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,450

IanB2 said:

EPG said:

IanB2 said:

LOL

I have to hand it to Cameron, his cant negotiate until October is REALLY pissing the EU elite off

festina lente

With regret I have to say this is a master stroke of genius negotiation that could not have been pulled off before the referendum and his resigning. Had it been possible, then he could (would) have won it.
    The EU nabobs want a fast negotiation, so they either have to give us most of what we want or have us hang around like a bid smell creating discontent among the underlings

genius - why couldnt Dave have negotiated like that ?

And even if the strategy doesn't work and we do eventually leave, it gives the EU more time to adjust to the new reality, and discourages other countries from thinking that leaving is an easy thing to do.
    How long can the UK stall for, before the wait for Article 50 becomes an implicit REMAIN? Would electing a pro-REMAIN majority HoC, which goes no further in departure negotiations, count as abrogating the referendum?

I did say we'd vote Leave and maybe then never end up Leaving. There's still a chance, but I think the Europeans would need some persuading. They're clearly very unhappy with how this has been handled by the UK government and by the Leave campaign.

Having rejected their deal (which was pretty crap), I can only see them helping in that situation if a PM essentially publicly promises to sign up to everything from now on and stop causing trouble.

But no Tory PM is ever going to be able to pass an idea like ignoring the referendum, so it'd have to be a Labour PM after winning a GE, and we probably won't have one, and how would Labour win it anyway.

But in any case the chance of us nor formally leaving now are, as you say, a chance, but I think we'd agree very slight. It'd have to be a pretty effing brutal collapse for the public view to change, and no guarantee it would (it might harden views), in a short time too.

No, we'll be gone, just a question of how long we can stall to get organised before the formal negotiations.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,331

@rottenborough it's not a proper brandy, more an eau de vie in which you steep walnuts for months and spiced. Wet walnuts, which you get at this time of year, are very juicy (and stain skin, as everyone who remembers children's fairytales will recall).

Sounds top stuff. I seem to recall vaguely having rather a lot of something similar in Dordogne made from chestnuts. But maybe it was walnuts. It is all hazy...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What's the earliest date for a Scottish referendum? May as well get it over with.
  • Options

Crickey the Currant Bun giving Cameron a kicking tomorrow, right in the Junckers.

Why would he care?

I am sure he doesn't. Just they are really pouring the bucket of cold sick over him. Given how much support they have given him over the years, I wasn't expecting the both barrels "you lazy f##ker cutting and running when there is hard work to do" headline.
    There;s no work for him to do - how would he be able to do the job, there's no way.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

AndyJS said:

Lowlander said:

Former Labour First Minister Henry McLeish has come out for Scottish Independence on Scotland Tonight.

Makes sense. Brexit is a massive material change. As a unionist that saddens me, but I can't blame Scots for wanting to try something different.

They're going to do it this time I think. The UK is over.

Without doubt. And it's best done as quickly as possible. Brexit would become Wexit.

I just need to understand this. Wales which was as heavily Brexit as England will vote for independence because it doesn't like the English or because it doesn't like the result?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I do want to acquire a proper still. They're legal to own in Hungary (a recognition of reality in country life here).
  • Options

Thrak said:

Lowlander said:

24th June 2016, forever to be remembered as the day the UK died. After all these centuries its heartbreaking. All the people who fought and died for it, bestriding the world as an empire. Now to end with its destroyers haggling over its twitching corpse.
    It is sad.

It's done it's time. We should celebrate what it was and all that it achieved, and we'll always be more than just neighbours, but England and Scotland are now on totally different trajectories. It makes no sense to stay together.

This isn't new. A guy on R5 a few hours ago said (I think this is right) Scotland have voted differently to England since 197x (sure PB experts can fill in the exact date).
  • Options

Why would he care?

Typical Leave mentality then: those who opposed their mess still have to sort it out.

• Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    RodCrosby said:

Just noticed that 32,161 more people voted to LEAVE yesterday than voted to remain in 1975. Biggest vote for anything in our history.

Cherry on the cake...

That's a sobering statistic.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited June 2016

surbiton said:

I have heard that the Northern Irish are applying for Ireland/EU passports they are entitled to. Not the usual suspects, the Nationalists but Protestants.

Can anyone enlighten us why would they want to do that ?

Not sure, taking this into account:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/746330414592188416
    I am not sure what you are trying to say. Two thirds voted to Remain.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Thrak said:

Lowlander said:

And all the people who fought and died against it. Recent history has seen the rebirth of many Eastern European nations. Who are you to deny the Scots, Northern Irish, Welsh or English that right?
    If we could at least federalise or something.

Such an irony that Ukip heralded the death of the UK.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Lowlander said:

I would like Scotland to stay but, if this goes ahead, I could no longer argue for it.

I think many Scots would say tonight that it is us in england who has done the "going".
    Don't forget Wales!
    Fair point. But I suspect the Welsh are not too keen on a non-english federated celtic bloc within the EU right now.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Kirsty Wark is one of the high heid yins of the Labour mafia in Scotland. If she's going there that would be very interesting. I've seen others, McLeish I mentioned earlier but also social rights lawyer Mike Dailly and other inner circle non-politician SLabbers all seem to be making pro-Yes noises.

I think they know the game is up. You can't keep trying to revive something that wants to die. And it will be exciting in Scotland. Very tough, too; but exciting. Why not?

• Options

Pro_Rata said:

Lowlander said:

Don't forget Wales!
    Wales may be returning to its pre-20th century status as a region of England.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

The level of Leave unpreparedness is extraordinary and terrifying. It may have involved talking to some experts, I guess, but surely it would have been worth it. This was never a game, but Boris and Gove today looked like it was the first time they realised how serious this all is.

Leave always said don't listen to experts they are always wrong particularly about the risks of Brexit.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Why would he care?

There;s no work for him to do - how would he be able to do the job, there's no way.
    I am not arguing against that. I think him going was the only option. My comment was more on the hostility of the Sun given the history and also they were on the winning side. All the other papers go for the teary eyed picture or ignore Cameron going from the front page.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

FREE

Oh. Whoops. Sorry Did you LOSE???

</blockquote

Yes. And that gives me the indistupable right to be rude to you bleeders!

• Options
    AndyJS said:

What's the earliest date for a Scottish referendum? May as well get it over with.

September 22nd might be doable at a push.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SouthamObserver

'I did say we'd vote Leave and maybe then never end up Leaving. There's still a chance, but I think the Europeans would need some persuading. They're clearly very unhappy with how this has been handled by the UK government and by the Leave campaign.'

Joining EFTA would be down to EFTA agreement & not the EU.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@DanHannanMEP: A lot of Remainers are now raging at me because I *don't* want to cut immigration sharply. There really is no pleasing some people.

@jamesmatesitv: @DanHannanMEP I suspect they may be raging at you cos yr Leave campaign clearly said it did. Was there a false prospectus being offered?

That is indeed the issue he now has to deal with

Well, quite. I have a lot of time for Dan - or had until now - but that is a disgraceful position. Is he now claiming to have had nothing to do with those leaflets and the campaign?

The Vote Leave Campaign Committee is the governing body that will meet weekly to set the campaign strategy for Vote Leave
    Dan Hannan MEP

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/campaign
    Today they will ring their bells ( though we may skip even that bit ) but tomorrow they will wring their hands !
  • Options

Why would he care?

Probably too tired to care. I gather he has gone to Chequers for one of his last trips. I'm sure Steven Crabb will enjoy taking residence there in October.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

EPG said:

IanB2 said:

LOL

I have to hand it to Cameron, his cant negotiate until October is REALLY pissing the EU elite off

festina lente

With regret I have to say this is a master stroke of genius negotiation that could not have been pulled off before the referendum and his resigning. Had it been possible, then he could (would) have won it.
    The EU nabobs want a fast negotiation, so they either have to give us most of what we want or have us hang around like a bid smell creating discontent among the underlings

And even if the strategy doesn't work and we do eventually leave, it gives the EU more time to adjust to the new reality, and discourages other countries from thinking that leaving is an easy thing to do.
    How long can the UK stall for, before the wait for Article 50 becomes an implicit REMAIN? Would electing a pro-REMAIN majority HoC, which goes no further in departure negotiations, count as abrogating the referendum?

I did say we'd vote Leave and maybe then never end up Leaving. There's still a chance, but I think the Europeans would need some persuading. They're clearly very unhappy with how this has been handled by the UK government and by the Leave campaign.

Having rejected their deal (which was pretty crap), I can only see them helping in that situation if a PM essentially publicly promises to sign up to everything from now on and stop causing trouble.

But no Tory PM is ever going to be able to pass an idea like ignoring the referendum, so it'd have to be a Labour PM after winning a GE, and we probably won't have one, and how would Labour win it anyway.

But in any case the chance of us nor formally leaving now are, as you say, a chance, but I think we'd agree very slight. It'd have to be a pretty effing brutal collapse for the public view to change, and no guarantee it would (it might harden views), in a short time too.

No, we'll be gone, just a question of how long we can stall to get organised before the formal negotiations.

Yep, it would need a GE. But six or 12 months down the line the EU may look a lot more enticing. The economic headwinds have not begun to blow yet. But they surely will.

• Options
    Lowlander said:

Without wishing to sound condescending I think people are being tired and emotional. Lets see how people feel next week.

There is a lot of cobblers flying around, for example, apparently milky ways (Mars) can't be sold outside of the EU and... Nandos is closing, Immediately. Seriously, they will liquidate their position now. Oh dear.
  • Options
    Has anybody informed the Welsh they weren't voting to leave the UK yet?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,987
    If the £ stays down here for more than a week or two, the first return on yesterday's vote that people are going to see is a very sharp rise in petrol and diesel pump prices...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I have heard that the Northern Irish are applying for Ireland/EU passports they are entitled to. Not the usual suspects, the Nationalists but Protestants.

Can anyone enlighten us why would they want to do that ?

Not sure, taking this into account:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/746330414592188416
    I am not sure what you are trying to say. Two thirds voted to Remain.
    Look at the graph - the most heavily LEAVE-leaning seats had Unionist majorities at the Assembly election.
  • Options

Has anybody informed the Welsh they weren't voting to leave the UK yet?

LOL. They were distracted by Gareth Bale.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Lowlander said:

Former Labour First Minister Henry McLeish has come out for Scottish Independence on Scotland Tonight.

Makes sense. Brexit is a massive material change. As a unionist that saddens me, but I can't blame Scots for wanting to try something different.

They're going to do it this time I think. The UK is over.

Without doubt. And it's best done as quickly as possible. Brexit would become Wexit.

I just need to understand this. Wales which was as heavily Brexit as England will vote for independence because it doesn't like the English or because it doesn't like the result?

No, Wales and England would leave the EU.

• Options
    Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Lowlander said:

And all the people who fought and died against it. Recent history has seen the rebirth of many Eastern European nations. Who are you to deny the Scots, Northern Irish, Welsh or English that right?

At the very least there should be a constitutional convention to discuss a post-brexit reality (with the presumption Scotland would be in it, but I think we know that won't happen) - cut out the bull and say we have to sort out the HoL, do we need a new voting system, do we need to revamp the devolution set up, etc etc. You could talk for decades on the issues and we have, but Brexit is on us in 2 years plus change, and a settlement to address any other issues decisively should be attempted, f*ck it, and put it to a referendum too.

Gods, I've just realised if Scotland waits to have their referendum during the article 50 negotiation, say toward the end, we'd be looking at 2 years of Euro negations, then several years of rUk vs Scotland negotiation - and probably will have an early GE in there somewhere. We're not going to get much governance done in the next 4-5 years.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Lowlander said:

Without wishing to sound condescending I think people are being tired and emotional. Lets see how people feel next week.

There is a lot of cobblers flying around, for example, apparently milky ways (Mars) can't be sold outside of the EU and... Nandos is closing, Immediately. Seriously, they will liquidate their position now. Oh dear.
    You can buy Milky Way in the USA
  • Options
    Would Scotland be truly independent inside the EU?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Some form of Federal structure between Scotland and Northern Ireland with the Queen as head of state within the EU would appear possible.

For most Unionists, the union with Scotland is more important than that with England, it's only 90 mins on the ferry between Glasgow and Belfast.

Give them a little bit of scale too.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,635
    Scott_P said:

@DanHannanMEP: A lot of Remainers are now raging at me because I *don't* want to cut immigration sharply.

I can't help thinking that a lot of LEAVErs are raging at him as well

• Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

FREE

Enjoy it while you can. This one aint over yet...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Lowlander said:

At the very least there should be a constitutional convention to discuss a post-brexit reality (with the presumption Scotland would be in it, but I think we know that won't happen) - cut out the bull and say we have to sort out the HoL, do we need a new voting system, do we need to revamp the devolution set up, etc etc. You could talk for decades on the issues and we have, but Brexit is on us in 2 years plus change, and a settlement to address any other issues decisively should be attempted, f*ck it, and put it to a referendum too.

Gods, I've just realised if Scotland waits to have their referendum during the article 50 negotiation, say toward the end, we'd be looking at 2 years of Euro negations, then several years of rUk vs Scotland negotiation - and probably will have an early GE in there somewhere. We're not going to get much governance done in the next 4-5 years.

Anything that keeps Boris quiet and prevents him grandstanding round the world!!

• Options
    Interesting casual chain on populism. Clegg on Tuition Fees, Cameron on the EU ref then Boris on Leave. Three politicians destroyed by making populist pledges they assumed they'd never have to keep. The last two caused the destruction of the former.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,989
    I'm late to the party having had big work day today, so sorry if going over covered ground.

But, if the timing of Brexit and Scottish independence is synchronised, could Scotland pre-apply to take an option on being the successor state who will take on the continuation of British EU membership, on British terms, rather than applying to join the EU as an independent country? Serious improvement from the EU terms on offer in IndyRef#1. The EU leaders seemed to be making encouraging noises towards Scotland, suggesting they may be amenable on trade, but Scotland will be their pound of flesh from the UK.

Also, yes, I fully think the UK has been given Brexit on 90 days sale or return. Dave could have real fun with this - make Boris chancellor, you bet! Just let's not go out of our way to evade that turmoil. I couldn't see it before, didn't want it before, but why not give the people their bad trip then referendum them once more and see if they say "Again, again"
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Tim_B said:

Lowlander said:

US Milky Ways aren't the same. US Milky Way Midnights, mmmmhhhh.
  • Options

Is is truly independent inside the UK?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,129

Yep, it would need a GE. But six or 12 months down the line the EU may look a lot more enticing. The economic headwinds have not begun to blow yet. But they surely will.

At the moment it looks like the only certain consequence is that the UK will split up.

If the EU itself is convulsed to an extent that some fundamental reforms that satisfy the English objections then it may, just may, be possible for England & Wales to end up remaining, but as a different country in an organisation with a different character.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Pro_Rata said:

Lowlander said:

Don't forget Wales!
    Wales may be returning to its pre-20th century status as a region of England.
    Throw a nuclear device into the discussion why don't you. Blimey.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Lowlander said:

I think events will move at a dizzying pace from here. There will be no time for constitutional conventions.
  • Options
    Two hours sleep since 6.00 am on the morning of 23rd. It's time for bed. Night all!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@DanHannanMEP: A lot of Remainers are now raging at me because I *don't* want to cut immigration sharply. There really is no pleasing some people.

@jamesmatesitv: @DanHannanMEP I suspect they may be raging at you cos yr Leave campaign clearly said it did. Was there a false prospectus being offered?

That is indeed the issue he now has to deal with

That is absolutely extraordinary disingenuousness from Hannan. He knows full well exactly what the Leave campaign was promising, to precisely those voters.

Extraordinary that the predictions of resentment and anger at broken promises are already coming true, much quicker than any of us could have imagined.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36624697
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think the Tories are already a zombie government even once they replace the lame duck Cameron. The chance of much legislation getting done is pretty slim as things stand.

But I don't think they will risk another election. There's just too much chance they could end up worse off than they currently stand.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

EPG said:

IanB2 said:

LOL

festina lente

Havi

It's possible, though I hope things do go better than the very nervous start. But I cannot see the government putting off a declaration for 12 months, not with the whole of the EU breathing down our neck to get a move on and the PM (whoever it is) treated like a leper at EU summits (I bet good money they won't get placed next to the Netherlands, any Scandinavians or Ireland at the table), so unless there's a GE in 6 months (there'll be the usual - you've changed leader so we should have an election, but Brown and Major resisted those calls with ease) it'd be too late. Doesn't matter how enticing the EU looks once the declaration is made! Barely matters now

The nervous and shocked may have started changing their minds already, but would enough in 6 months? How would that be measured to justify a change? It's a fun mental game to think about, but there's no realistic path.

Good night - let us hope the nation, what remains of it, rises to the challenge.
  • Options

Interesting casual chain on populism. Clegg on Tuition Fees, Cameron on the EU ref then Boris on Leave. Three politicians destroyed by making populist pledges they assumed they'd never have to keep. The last two caused the destruction of the former.

I suppose Boris will be able to say he vetoed Turkey.

An interesting side issue is that nobody seems to have reflected on who will be Foreign Sec in a Boris/Gove/Leadsom government.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Lowlander said:

Don't forget Wales!
    Fair point. But I suspect the Welsh are not too keen on a non-english federated celtic bloc within the EU right now.
    Wales voted with England.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If the £ stays down here for more than a week or two, the first return on yesterday's vote that people are going to see is a very sharp rise in petrol and diesel pump prices...

You Brexit, you pays for it...

As we now say on this site a lot.
  • Options

I suppose Boris will be able to say he vetoed Turkey.

An interesting side issue is that nobody seems to have reflected on who will be Foreign Sec in a Boris/Gove/Leadsom government.
    Osborne? (Seriously.)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

But the SNP want independence! Will they achieve that by re-joining Brussels?
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

I think they know the game is up. You can't keep trying to revive something that wants to die. And it will be exciting in Scotland. Very tough, too; but exciting. Why not?

Can I just ask, has Scotland just had another referendum where they voted out whilst I was not looking?

Make no mistake, Sturgeon will not hold one unless it is nailed on. Last polls suggested it wasn't.

• Options

Tim_B said:

Lowlander said:

From my brief time in Boulder, I recall that Milky Ways in the USA are the same as Mars Bars here. Our Milky Ways approximate to Three Musketeers over there.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Isn't coffee also priced in dollars?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016
    Martin Kettle:

"How was it that a modern-minded liberal Conservative leader who long ago told his party to “stop banging on about Europe” if it wanted to get back into power after three successive defeats – and who then delivered two terms in government – has himself been brought down by that same party over that same European question?"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/david-cameron-downfall-european-tragedy
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

But, if the timing of Brexit and Scottish independence is synchronised, could Scotland pre-apply to take an option on being the successor state who will take on the continuation of British EU membership, on British terms, rather than applying to join the EU as an independent country?

Yes. And as it could be done by QMV it would not be open to any country's Veto.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

I think the Tories are already a zombie government even once they replace the lame duck Cameron. The chance of much legislation getting done is pretty slim as things stand.

But I don't think they will risk another election. There's just too much chance they could end up worse off than they currently stand.
    Agreed - particularly if Labour elect someone sensible. And perhaps not even then. Hope the civil servants are on their game while they're running things!
    IanB2 said:
    Yes, a belated realisation, that. Look forward to Remain realising the £4300 was a mistake, although from their POV it was because it didn't work.

I think events will move at a dizzying pace from here. There will be no time for constitutional conventions.

Yes, probably true - one of the few good ideas Ed M had was to hold one right after he would have been elected. On reflection a missed opportunity.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I know that a 2nd Scottish referendum has been on the cards - has the Scottish Government made moves to increase trade with Europe and break links with the English economy?
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Can I just ask, has Scotland just had another referendum where they voted out whilst I was not looking?

Make no mistake, Sturgeon will not hold one unless it is nailed on. Last polls suggested it wasn't.

All the political forces are aligning behind it. She just needs to get a pre-agreed deal with the EU on membership and the referendum will be a rubber-stamping exercise.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Martin Kettle:

"How was it that a modern-minded liberal Conservative leader who long ago told his party to “stop banging on about Europe” if it wanted to get back into power after three successive defeats – and who then delivered two terms in government – has himself been brought down by that same party over that same European question?"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/david-cameron-downfall-european-tragedy

Because the bit of the party that cared about it held out long enough for it to become the majority opinion in the country.
  • Options

Some form of Federal structure between Scotland and Northern Ireland with the Queen as head of state within the EU would appear possible.

For most Unionists, the union with Scotland is more important than that with England, it's only 90 mins on the ferry between Glasgow and Belfast.

I think you mean between Larne and Stranraer!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Lowlander said:

Quite. Mars is American.
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

It is very likely polls are already in the wild. The Record is going pro-Yes and will want to know how popular that position is. The Herald might want to know as well. I can easily see two or three Scottish Referendum polls next week.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Lowlander said:

From my brief time in Boulder, I recall that Milky Ways in the USA are the same as Mars Bars here. Our Milky Ways approximate to Three Musketeers over there.
    How dare you claim a Milky Way = Three Musketeers bar....Three Musketeers bars are infinitely better :-)
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Things have changed since then. Unionist papers are saying she needs to call one. Apparently the SNP is getting yet another surge of signups. It's over. Unless Leave doesn't happen, but that would create an even bigger mess to the south

viewcode said:

They profess to be happy with that level of dependence. We may not think it makes sense, but they and the Scots seem to regard Brussels as the last straw - better Brussells alone than London without Brussells.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Lowlander said:

kle4 said:

Agreed - particularly if Labour elect someone sensible. And perhaps not even then. Hope the civil servants are on their game while they're running things!
    IanB2 said:
    Yes, a belated realisation, that. Look forward to Remain realising the £4300 was a mistake, although from their POV it was because it didn't work.

Yes, probably true - one of the few good ideas Ed M had was to hold one right after he would have been elected. On reflection a missed opportunity.
    As Remain didn't win, how their promises turn out is rather more academic than the cheaper energy, booming economy and queue-free double-staffed NHS that I am now waiting for from the leavers....
  • Options
    Why would Nandos, a South African restaurant chain be closing its doors in the UK? Are some morons on social media thinking that Nandos is Portuguese and then adding 2 and 2 and making 27?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

All the political forces are aligning behind it. She just needs to get a pre-agreed deal with the EU on membership and the referendum will be a rubber-stamping exercise.
    Well, yes, but as well as getting some elites on board she also has to get the actual voters. Don't forget that Cameron had most of the elites on board as well.
  • Options

I think you mean between Larne and Stranraer!
    I think you mean between Larne and Cairnryan!
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

Well, yes, but as well as getting some elites on board she also has to get the actual voters. Don't forget that Cameron had most of the elites on board as well.
    Yes, but the last IndyRef was the grassroots + the SNP vs the entire Scottish and British establishment. If the next one has the rest of the Scottish establishment for Yes and the British staying out of it, there's only one way it can go. I'd bet on over 65% for Yes.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Lowlander said:

How dare you claim a Milky Way = Three Musketeers bar....Three Musketeers bars are infinitely better :-)
    I did say "approximate to". You can get a few of these American "candy" bars in Tescos in Birmingham city centre (although not Three Musketeers!).
  • Options

Hannan has always been absolutely clear that he wants to keep freedom of movement and access to the single market via an EEA type arrangement. It is the position that Robert Smithson and I have argued for on here as well. There is nothing new except to those who chose not to listen.

It is true that he has been consistently in favour of freedom of movement: in fact, I pointed that out frequently. But it is also true that for the past few years he has used the phrase "controlled immigration" (or variants thereof) when asked about his desired outcome. I frequently pointed out that "controlled immigration" is a term used by pro-immigration people to get the votes of anti-immigration voters, and that by failing to *also* point out that he was pro-immigration he was being disingenious. I eventually desisted because a) nobody was listening and b) since Casino_Royale has met him it was coming across as personal. But the point was made.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I tell you what. Go to Scotland and explain why they are so mistaken. I'm sure they'll listen.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

You lost as well Sean, you just haven't realised it yet.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Lowlander said:

Lowlander said:

You may not have noticed buy an event has between then and now.
This discussion has been closed.