Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the betting has often seemed so out of line with the po

123457»

Comments

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Why do so many people in Newcastle vote by post? Highly urban and youngish I'd have thought.

Weren't they the first people in a trial to be offered postal votes as a right rather than a special circumstance & there was a bug drive on it. And once you have applied you get opportunity from then on.
    Pretty much correct , goes back to 2004 and a trial postal votes only experiment for local elections .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    John_N4 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Aberdeen Remain? Are you sure?

Comfortably, the Borders will be the only area in Scotland which might vote Leave
    No - the Western Isles will certainly vote Leave.
    You may be right there, it did vote No in 1975, along with Shetland the only UK area to do so
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158

Have now been to most polling stations here in Thornaby-on-Tees. All report higher than GE turnout, the ones in the older/poorer parts of town report massive turnout. One was north of 3x last may expecting 4x by the end of the night. All reporting new voters young and old.

Regardless of the result a festival of democracy. But if we see this kind of support in these kinds of communities in these kind of towns on this kind of scale, I am going to regret not having stuck money on Leave at today's silly odds.

You can still get 6.2/1 on betfair. How silly do you need it to be?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:
    Great for democracy, I'd love to see a turnout as high as Indyref. Might be strong for Leave?
    32% postal vote is very good for Leave.
    It's a very studenty town at the end of term... so hard to make definitive conclusion. We'll find out by about 12:30am mind :)
    uni finished last week there...I would have imagined the little darlings will have buggered off home by now.
    We were talking about postals in Newcastle - I'm thinking the high number might be bacause students got them before buggering off

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    Crickey that would be organised of them...but then students aren't what they used to be.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Should NOT, just because of a bit of rain, give us a break.

It's not just a bit of rain. It's the collapse of majority of the South East commuter network. Suspect you would have felt differently 18 Sep 2014 if this had impacted Glasgow.
    Bet it is a light shower or two, we get real rain up here not your 3 mm stuff.

PS: I have been taxed a fortune to gild London and its wasted by a few showers , what cretins planned that
    If london is so gilded how come they are still struggling with early twentieth century d.c. third rail electrification systems and signalling that pre dates world war 2 while you have nice new signalling and overhead 25kV electrification in Glasgow?
    now you are splitting hairs, we have one new signal box
    It's much more that just one signal box:
    http://www.egip.info/

As an aside, ISTR BR worked out in the 1980s that the entire rail network could be controlled from just four massive signal boxes. They chose not to start down that route for various reasons. I've always wondered why it couldn't just be one: the speed of light is too slow, perhaps?
    There's a guy on Kickstarter selling some networking equipment that sends information faster than the speed of light!
    Ahem. I though that wasn't allowed.
    But it's new, "collaborative" and "disruptive" technology. They don't see why they should need to follow the old fashioned laws of Physics and will throw expensive lawyers at Physics if it tries to argue otherwise!
    "Technically, the microscopic causality postulate of axiomatic quantum field theory implies the impossibility of superluminal communication using any phenomena whose behavior can be described by orthodox quantum field theory"

Wikipedia - and if you understand that then you're a better man than I am.
    Play around with causality and lawyers become cheap. Let's play around more!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    Well, I won't be voting. Marylebone Station carnage. Trains to Leamington all delayed. Very annoying.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

OK I need some some help, can anybody convince me that 15% return on my money for a few hours is not worth the risk?

You think Remain have it?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    nunu said:

Just back from voting and both my mother and brother, once staunch leavers, changed their minds and voted to remain. When I asked why they both said they didn't like the tone or direction that the leavers camp where taking. Could this prove to be a common problem for leave?

hmmm a lot of people reporting on here Leavers bottling it.
    Thats only the second that ive seen
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

It's not just a bit of rain. It's the collapse of majority of the South East commuter network. Suspect you would have felt differently 18 Sep 2014 if this had impacted Glasgow.

PS: I have been taxed a fortune to gild London and its wasted by a few showers , what cretins planned that
    If london is so gilded how come they are still struggling with early twentieth century d.c. third rail electrification systems and signalling that pre dates world war 2 while you have nice new signalling and overhead 25kV electrification in Glasgow?

As an aside, ISTR BR worked out in the 1980s that the entire rail network could be controlled from just four massive signal boxes. They chose not to start down that route for various reasons. I've always wondered why it couldn't just be one: the speed of light is too slow, perhaps?
    There's a guy on Kickstarter selling some networking equipment that sends information faster than the speed of light!
    Impressive. Does he do snake oil as well? It'd be good if he did.
    'Spooky action at a distance' does seem to work, but is information being transferred?
    http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080813/full/news.2008.1038.html
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Posts: 26
    Occasional lurker from South Cambs here. I think this area is meant to be Remain by about 15%.

We had minor flooding and black skies, but it's cleared up a bit in the last 15 minutes.

Turnout seemed average, maybe a bit low, compared with the last couple of GEs. I can't put a percentage on it (no idea how to calculate that) but there were no queues.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

PB Train Doyens will know this. Why can't a train run through water like this? I thought the bottom bit was purely mechanical.

https://twitter.com/greateranglia/status/745854236001439746/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

If it was pure water it would be fine but its not so it conducts electricity and shorts out the rails together making the signalling system think there is a train there and putting all the signals to red.

South of the thames it also shorts out the 750v d.c. conductor rails which leak tens of thousands of amps all over the water causing all sorts of interesting things (and them to be switched off in short order)

My dad just called me - he says there are reports of a train being hit by lightning (near St Albans?). Presumably there's no danger to life in that case? I assume it's like being in a car.
    That would account for the report about power supply failure between Elstree and St Albans.

Everyone inside should be safe because a train is basically a faraday cage but they now have a train with all itsw electrics blown and a fused power supply system which means the Midland Main line will now be at a stand which means in practical terms that if OGH has gone to London for the day and planned to vote when he got back he may well be disappointed.

Open Train times is also showing "LAND SLIP BLOK" on the up slow north of St Albans and another landslip south of st albans with everything at a stand either side of st Albans

This is the worst day of disruption for years - certainly outside winter snowstorms.
    Just arrived back to St. Albans from Blackfriars. Passed the landslide which was on the up slow just north of Radlett. Trains running on the other three lines.
    Well done you.

Did you see the train that was reported here as struck by lightning.

Apparently there is a second landslip north of st albans - also on the down slow
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

From my experience in Glasgow, the turnout in Scotland is not going to be high. I voted late afternoon and glancing at the electoral register list, there was barely 1 in 5 of the names crossed out.

Twitter is confusing with a lot of people reporting personal experience of dead polling places while the Leave email about "high Scottish turnout" and a 9am statement from the Chief Returning Officer keep getting re-tweeted. I tend towards the personal experiences getting reported.

I think Remain's hopes for a big boost from Scotland will be quite heavily suppressed due to turnout.

When is the turnout in Glasgow ever high? Even in indyref it had one of the lowest turnouts in Scotland. Outside of the Borders I would guess Glasgow will have one of the highest Brexit votes in Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen will be much more pro Remain, so a low Glasgow turnout is not necessarily terrible news for Remain
    Comfortably, the Borders will be the only area in Scotland which might vote Leave
    I wonder possibly if Scottish Tory voters might generally vote Remain, so as to avoid another independence referendum.
    Some but more Scottish Tories will vote Leave than Scottish Labour and LDs, probably more than SNP voters too
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Remain 60-65 band has now gone 3rd favourite - ie ahead of Remain 45-50 band.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

RobD said:
    It's not that popular in various parts of Turkey. Polls on the matter are varied to say the least.

Erdogan is going to rapidly run out of friends ...
    Erdogan has plenty of friends - just not in the Westernized parts of Istanbul and Antalya. Head outside there and his strong man image is still liked and respected...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:
    Great for democracy, I'd love to see a turnout as high as Indyref. Might be strong for Leave?
    It's a very studenty town at the end of term... so hard to make definitive conclusion. We'll find out by about 12:30am mind :)
    uni finished last week there...I would have imagined the little darlings will have buggered off home by now.
    We were talking about postals in Newcastle - I'm thinking the high number might be bacause students got them before buggering off

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    Normally its an older demographic that postals. Students are often registered at home. Newcastle Uni is stuffed full of kids from affluent SE England but Northumbria gets a more NE student body. But, we'll see later on! Some suggestion that Newcastle might declare early on?
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Still at the polling station. Quite a few passionate Leavers showing me their pens as they go in.

Are they saying "Show me yours and I'll show you mine"?

As a matter of interest why would they show you their pens ..... very strange!
    There is a fruit loop idea that using a pen prevents fraud, being going around Leave of FB etc.
    It's quaint and endearing that people are both bonkers paranoid and completely naive at the same time.
    Every time I see one on FB I do point out that I am a Vote Leave observer... But hey ho.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    edited June 2016
    Are Leavers just getting overexcited because 40-odd percent of people voting in a national election feels like a hell of a lot compared to a GE, even though it doesn't mean you're winning?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    timmo said:

Anybody any idea what the UBER surcharge has gone up to tonight in central london?

John_N4 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Wasnt it them and the Isle of Wight the only 2 areas to vote no in 75?
    Shetland was the second area I think.
  • Options
    Cosmic said:

Occasional lurker from South Cambs here. I think this area is meant to be Remain by about 15%.

We had minor flooding and black skies, but it's cleared up a bit in the last 15 minutes.

Turnout seemed average, maybe a bit low, compared with the last couple of GEs. I can't put a percentage on it (no idea how to calculate that) but there were no queues.

Surely its difficult to put a number on turnout because we dont know the exact number of postals
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @bookseller

'Politics will be shaken up though, whatever the result. It'll be close - which means a rebirth of either a) a continued 'leave' campaign, or a nascent 'rejoin EU' campaign tomorrow morning. One thing is for sure, Cameron doesn't get it put to bed for a generation. In the words of Alastair Campbell, it's a 'messy score draw'...'

One of the EU issues not mentioned during the campaign and could cause major ructions within Labour is the imminent TTIP agreement which will be NHS privatisation through the back door.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    timmo said:

Anybody any idea what the UBER surcharge has gone up to tonight in central london?

John_N4 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Shetland and Western Isles according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975

Interestingly, N Yorks was the most pro-EEC English county in 1975. I'd expect it to be a comfortable Leave today.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    El_Dave said:

rcs1000 said:

I am amused, because the one and only time I met Nadine Dorries was at Le Caprice, and it doesn't get much posher than that.

(She was incredibly nice, and offered to look after my two year old son while I took my five year old daughter to the toilet.)
    Did she give him back?

I said "thanks but no thanks".

It's not that I didn't appreciate the offer, but in all likelihood, my son would would have burst into tears once I disappeared

But, my opinion of Nadine is that she is an incredibly nice person. I wasn't a constituent. She gained no votes. She just saw a struggling father and tried to help.

Good for you Nadine.

(Woman of the people who eats at Le Caprice!)
  • Options

Here in SW London, we've had very little significant rain over the past 12 hours, just a number of bouts of persistent drizzle, but it's been a thoroughly dull, dank, cold, miserable day.
    Unless you were particularly exercised by the prospect of voting in the referendum, I can't imagine anything close to record numbers bothering to travel any sort of distance by foot in order to vote. Fortunately, I arranged a postal vote.

Interesting...the weather must be very localised. Here in Chessington just a few miles away we had a torrential downpour last night and another one this afternoon.
    Yes, we certainly got it last night all right, like you.
  • Options

Well, I won't be voting. Marylebone Station carnage. Trains to Leamington all delayed. Very annoying.

19:47 is only delayed 10 minutes...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Still at the polling station. Quite a few passionate Leavers showing me their pens as they go in.

There is a fruit loop idea that using a pen prevents fraud, being going around Leave of FB etc.
    It's quaint and endearing that people are both bonkers paranoid and completely naive at the same time.
    Every time I see one on FB I do point out that I am a Vote Leave observer... But hey ho.
    That's exactly what an election-fixing MI5 agent would claim, isn't it?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Remain 60-65 band has now gone 3rd favourite - ie ahead of Remain 45-50 band.

Could mean anything. I think a lot of people are probably leveraging their positions given the assumption (and probably private info) that remain are going to win.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    I see postal votes have transmogrified from PB's bête noire to its white knight.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

timmo said:

John_N4 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Shetland was the second area I think.
    Isle of Wight 1975, 71.2% YES.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@bookseller

'Politics will be shaken up though, whatever the result. It'll be close - which means a rebirth of either a) a continued 'leave' campaign, or a nascent 'rejoin EU' campaign tomorrow morning. One thing is for sure, Cameron doesn't get it put to bed for a generation. In the words of Alastair Campbell, it's a 'messy score draw'...'

One of the EU issues not mentioned during the campaign and could cause major ructions within Labour is the imminent TTIP agreement which will be NHS privatisation through the back door.

Surely labour just blame on the Tories.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    https://googledataorg.cartodb.com/u/googledata/viz/28edaeda-38cc-11e6-847c-42010a14800c/embed_map

This is interesting. The amount of people searching for expat info should probably worry Leave.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    Nope. As I said before there was a all postal vote. The large number of postal votes (in all subsequent elections is due to that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

From my experience in Glasgow, the turnout in Scotland is not going to be high. I voted late afternoon and glancing at the electoral register list, there was barely 1 in 5 of the names crossed out.

Twitter is confusing with a lot of people reporting personal experience of dead polling places while the Leave email about "high Scottish turnout" and a 9am statement from the Chief Returning Officer keep getting re-tweeted. I tend towards the personal experiences getting reported.

I think Remain's hopes for a big boost from Scotland will be quite heavily suppressed due to turnout.

When is the turnout in Glasgow ever high? Even in indyref it had one of the lowest turnouts in Scotland. Outside of the Borders I would guess Glasgow will have one of the highest Brexit votes in Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen will be much more pro Remain, so a low Glasgow turnout is not necessarily terrible news for Remain
    It’s the potential smuggling income after the subsequent Scottish Indyref!
    May be a consideration
  • Options
    EPG said:

I see postal votes have transmogrified from PB's bête noire to its white knight.

What are you prattling on about.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Are Leavers just getting overexcited because 40-odd percent of people voting in a national election feels like a hell of a lot compared to a GE, even though it doesn't mean you're winning?

Leavers are overexcited? I think people are more excited to see some old regulars back on the site. Remain are going to stroll home.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    weejonnie said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Ahem. I though that wasn't allowed.
    But it's new, "collaborative" and "disruptive" technology. They don't see why they should need to follow the old fashioned laws of Physics and will throw expensive lawyers at Physics if it tries to argue otherwise!
    "Technically, the microscopic causality postulate of axiomatic quantum field theory implies the impossibility of superluminal communication using any phenomena whose behavior can be described by orthodox quantum field theory"

Wikipedia - and if you understand that then you're a better man than I am.
    All I know is you need a Babmbleweeny 57 submeson brain, and an atomic vector plotter.
  • Options
    EPG said:

It's quantum, a bit like Cameron's position on Turkey ;).
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited June 2016
    EPG said:

It's hilarious isn't it ?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    John_M said:

Leavers are overexcited? I think people are more excited to see some old regulars back on the site. Remain are going to stroll home.
    Sadly I agree 55/45
  • Options

At this stage maybe, by the end of voting certainly not, 66% voted at the last general election
  • Options

Suppose 'Leavers' become 'Remainers' - how might you answer?

Tomorrow we'll all wake up as British citizens. The debate shows us that we can both understand and deal with big issues. We want more of the political classes. That starts tomorrow.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    John_M said:

One or two still think they have a chance... Enough to make me get nervous about the result. This morning I was sure Remain would be touching 60%.
  • Options
    EPG said:

You can get excited about the numbers without believing everyone should have one.
  • Options
    @El_Dave - I was about to send you a personal email but just realised you're using a mailinator email. We have a rule that people need to use genuine email addresses (and since we got hit by Putin trolls a few years ago, I've cracked down on Tor too). Please change your email address,

Thanks
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There are certainly are an awful lot of anecdotal reports of high leave turnout on this thread, and very few in comparison for the other camp. This seemingly either reflects the point of view of this site, which has a high proportion of more right-leaning contributors, or something of a genuine wider significance.

That reflects the PoV of this site!

I suspect when I go down to vote for myself and the wife (with her proxy, and never mind the fact the votes cancel each other out), I will find that my part of Hampstead is super high turnout, and 80-90% Remain.
    RCS ..... do try not to drop your wife's proxy in a deep, dirty puddle on the way to the polling station, thereby rendering it unusable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

EPG said:

What are you prattling on about.
    I believe that many PBers are not fans of the wide use of postal votes, but many of those same people will be Leavers who now need to rely on postal votes
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    RobD said:

OK I need some some help, can anybody convince me that 15% return on my money for a few hours is not worth the risk?

You think Remain have it?
    Well that's it, I don't know, in 12 hours the price has halved. Perhaps its just one of those occasions when the favourite wins cosily and we wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

John_M said:

One or two still think they have a chance... Enough to make me get nervous about the result. This morning I was sure Remain would be touching 60%.
    I'd like a Brexit result. That's unlikely to say the least. My fallback position is a 51:49 Remain win. I want the politicians nervous, and to give Donald Tusk ammo in his quest to beat some sense into the EC.

Ultimately, very few people have any enthusiasm for the EU as currently constituted (I appreciate that's a blind assertion, sue me :D). I'd like them to get the message.
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Posts: 26
    timmo said:

Cosmic said:

Surely its difficult to put a number on turnout because we dont know the exact number of postals
    I would think so. From what I could see, 30 - 40% of the names were marked as having voted around 6:30.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

@El_Dave - I was about to send you a personal email but just realised you're using a mailinator email. We have a rule that people need to use genuine email addresses (and since we got hit by Putin trolls a few years ago, I've cracked down on Tor too). Please change your email address,

Thanks

A few years ago? I thought we still have a few of putins little helpers these days adding comic value.
  • Options
    The Chinese traditionally viewed the emperor as having a right to rule granted by heaven - the Mandate of Heaven. Major weather events and earthquakes at important times were feared as omens of heaven withdrawing its mandate. Maybe the gods are angry with London today!
  • Options
    nunu said:

Just back from voting and both my mother and brother, once staunch leavers, changed their minds and voted to remain. When I asked why they both said they didn't like the tone or direction that the leavers camp where taking. Could this prove to be a common problem for leave?

Yes and it seems to be their first or second post hmmm.
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    It seems to be the day for long term lurkers/absentees to come back (has Admiral Sir Sigmund WikiDair come back since I went out?) so I'll throw in my 2p worth.

Just voted in Argyll. I'd say less than half the list was crossed off and traffic was slow into the Polling Station.

I think Cyclefree got it right in her thread header a few days ago just before she went away. It has been a difficult decision, I have kids who could get a lot out of the EU, but if we were Spanish or Greek or Portuguese I might wonder about that.

I voted Leave, fundamentally because I see the EU as a malevolent influence across a whole range of issues affecting the lives of ordinary people throughout Europe and I hope we can quicken its demise and see a new, trade and growth oriented structure rise in its place that will encourage the spread of wealth more evenly throughout Europe and not simply subsidise economic sloth and inactivity, while creaming off a healthy chunk for the bureaucrats.

Given the quality of the campaign was so piss poor I don't expect Leave to win, and I expect to feel consequences if it does, but at the very least we've been given a vote, so it was in our own hands. I will live with the decision come what may.

• Options

nunu said:

Yes and it seems to be their first or second post hmmm.
    Well we know Dave has been a long time lurker...
  • Options
    Waterloo was a giant sardine tin at 5:30 - was utterly packed from end to end. Must have been 25,000 people stuck. Deep joy.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

The Chinese traditionally viewed the emperor as having a right to rule granted by heaven - the Mandate of Heaven. Major weather events and earthquakes at important times were feared as omens of heaven withdrawing its mandate. Maybe the gods are angry with London today!

... and the east of England.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

PB Train Doyens will know this. Why can't a train run through water like this? I thought the bottom bit was purely mechanical.

https://twitter.com/greateranglia/status/745854236001439746/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

If it was pure water it would be fine but its not so it conducts electricity and shorts out the rails together making the signalling system think there is a train there and putting all the signals to red.

South of the thames it also shorts out the 750v d.c. conductor rails which leak tens of thousands of amps all over the water causing all sorts of interesting things (and them to be switched off in short order)

My dad just called me - he says there are reports of a train being hit by lightning (near St Albans?). Presumably there's no danger to life in that case? I assume it's like being in a car.
    That would account for the report about power supply failure between Elstree and St Albans.

Everyone inside should be safe because a train is basically a faraday cage but they now have a train with all itsw electrics blown and a fused power supply system which means the Midland Main line will now be at a stand which means in practical terms that if OGH has gone to London for the day and planned to vote when he got back he may well be disappointed.

Open Train times is also showing "LAND SLIP BLOK" on the up slow north of St Albans and another landslip south of st albans with everything at a stand either side of st Albans

This is the worst day of disruption for years - certainly outside winter snowstorms.
    Just arrived back to St. Albans from Blackfriars. Passed the landslide which was on the up slow just north of Radlett. Trains running on the other three lines.
    Well done you.

Did you see the train that was reported here as struck by lightning.

Apparently there is a second landslip north of st albans - also on the down slow
    Sorry up slow
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

That's exactly what an election-fixing MI5 agent would claim, isn't it?
    I work at GCHQ... Not MI5.... ;)
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Waterloo was a giant sardine tin at 5:30 - was utterly packed from end to end. Must have been 25,000 people stuck. Deep joy.

Only going to get worse as we add 500k people a year to the ranks...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    Crickey that would be organised of them...but then students aren't what they used to be.
    Fox jr said that his Facebook feed has been full of posts on voting and registration by his fellow students. Not a single one going for Leave. Selection bias maybe, but they do seem very enthused. The kids are alright.
  • Options
    Kinga said:

It seems to be the day for long term lurkers/absentees to come back (has Admiral Sir Sigmund WikiDair come back since I went out?) so I'll throw in my 2p worth.

Just voted in Argyll. I'd say less than half the list was crossed off and traffic was slow into the Polling Station.

I think Cyclefree got it right in her thread header a few days ago just before she went away. It has been a difficult decision, I have kids who could get a lot out of the EU, but if we were Spanish or Greek or Portuguese I might wonder about that.

I voted Leave, fundamentally because I see the EU as a malevolent influence across a whole range of issues affecting the lives of ordinary people throughout Europe and I hope we can quicken its demise and see a new, trade and growth oriented structure rise in its place that will encourage the spread of wealth more evenly throughout Europe and not simply subsidise economic sloth and inactivity, while creaming off a healthy chunk for the bureaucrats.

Given the quality of the campaign was so piss poor I don't expect Leave to win, and I expect to feel consequences if it does, but at the very least we've been given a vote, so it was in our own hands. I will live with the decision come what may.

Great post. I was a reluctant Remainer, but share your concerns about the state of the EU. We shall survive, no matter what.
  • Options
    These reports of half the list crossed off are a bit spurious. I was one of the first to vote this morning and a lot of the list was crossed off because they are the people who have been sent postal votes. This doesnt mean they have been returned just sent and this ensure that nobody can vote twice.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    timmo said:

John_N4 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Western Isles plus Orkney & Shetland.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    Fox jr said that his Facebook feed has been full of posts on voting and registration by his fellow students. Not a single one going for Leave. Selection bias maybe, but they do seem very enthused. The kids are alright.
    Postal votes weeks in advance during exams / end of year parties though?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I'm very pleased with the reports both of traditional non-voters turning out, and of a high turn-out in general. Whatever the outcome is, that has to be a good thing. No guess as to what it means for the result.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    timmo said:

These reports of half the list crossed off are a bit spurious. I was one of the first to vote this morning and a lot of the list was crossed off because they are the people who have been sent postal votes. This doesnt mean they have been returned just sent and this ensure that nobody can vote twice.

At least not using the same identity :)
  • Options
    Anecdote...

Just got a call for my 20 year old son from britain stronger in. Told them I was on the Telephone Preference Service opt-out. They told me political calls didn't count. I told them it did. Looking up it appears they are in breach of data protection - and probably desperate...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Surely not the speed of light? I can ping my computer in San Francisco in ~150ms (which I think is the round trip time?)
    As an aside: curiously, one of the factors influencing chip design is the speed of light.

Whilst the speed of light is fast, you need to consider how far light travels in one clock tick. The speed of light is roughly 300000000 metres per second. If the chip runs at 3GHz, or 3000000000. This means that in one clock tick, the signal can only travel 10 cm. Whilst chips are not that large, the signal in the chips might not take a direct route, and have multiple layers to negotiate.

In addition, the speed of 'light' (i.e. signal transmission) in silicon is less than the speed of light in a vacuum; from memory, a little over half. There's also an issue with electron speed, wrt transistors, but I know little about that.

Intel et al are working around this problem to some extent, but it's a hard limit.

Although I daresay an expert will be along to say the above is b/s!

For the railways, you're looking at getting signals to and from points as disparate as Penzance and Wick, perhaps on millisecond-timings, multiple times. I;m not a signalling expert, but it wouldn't surprise me if the SoL was a factor.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

timmo said:

At least not using the same identity :)
    Vote early, vote often!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    So it would seem.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

Hi there Benedict :)

Who nobbled Nigel Farage last night?
    Same question regarding the Sun.
    And was Thomas Mair the property of any agency, or "known" at all?

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    I have been criss-crossing Kirklees today. We have a local tradition of putting posters on lamp posts. Today is different from usual where most of the posters are in marginal wards. The leave posters are scattered across the borough, mostly around roundabouts and supermarkets. All the Labour remain posters are in their strong, usually Asian, wards. The Lib Dem IN posters are mostly in their strong wards of Cleckheaton and Almondbury. It looks as if there is a coordinated campaign to get out the core vote. It is very strange however to see red and yellow posters but no green and blue ones - even in the fields.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    So it would seem.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
    So it would seem.
    As I say, students ain't what they uses to be!
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    timmo said:

A very good point. IME the postal voters are usually crossed out, as you say, by drawing a line right through their name on the register, whereas voters as they come in are marked with a tick mark, usually left of their polling number. Over the course of a day this is quicker and easier than laboriously crossing every name right through, doesn't need a ruler, and avoids inadvertently drawing over names of the voters above and below.

So people drawing conclusions from a quick glance at the presiding officer's master register need to know what they are looking for...
  • Options

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Surely not the speed of light? I can ping my computer in San Francisco in ~150ms (which I think is the round trip time?)
    As an aside: curiously, one of the factors influencing chip design is the speed of light.

In addition, the speed of 'light' (i.e. signal transmission) in silicon is less than the speed of light in a vacuum; from memory, a little over half. There's also an issue with electron speed, wrt transistors, but I know little about that.

Intel et al are working around this problem to some extent, but it's a hard limit.

For the railways, you're looking at getting signals to and from points as disparate as Penzance and Wick, perhaps on millisecond-timings, multiple times. I;m not a signalling expert, but it wouldn't surprise me if the SoL was a factor.
    It's not the speed of light, it's the speed of electrons - you touched on that briefly. The quest for higher electron mobility has been a key driver in the development of some of the new materials like Gallium Nitride.

We've had issues with clock skew for years. It's not going to get better. People are still beavering away on asynchronous designs, but that's not an area I follow.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    I have just voted with the spirit of the late great Anthony Wedgewood Benn to leave the European union. A good laugh with the usual agents at my polling station about why I was there so early - turnout is 2x general election here.

I equate high turnout with Leave voters in the places I am sampling, just as I rightly equated high turnout in other polling stations last May with Tories. Remain may prevail. But I rejoice in people voting regardless
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

timmo said:

A very good point. IME the postal voters are usually crossed out, as you say, by drawing a line right through their name on the register, whereas voters as they come in are marked with a tick mark, usually left of their polling number. Over the course of a day this is quicker and easier than laboriously crossing every name right through, doesn't need a ruler, and avoids inadvertently drawing over names of the voters above and below.

So people drawing conclusions from a quick glance at the presiding officer's master register need to know what they are looking for...
    That is exactly what I saw. Perhaps a quarter had a line through and another 60% had a tick.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Hi there Benedict :)

Who nobbled Nigel Farage last night?
    Same question regarding the Sun.
    And was Thomas Mair the property of any agency, or "known" at all?

Only joking :D

I suspect Thomas Mair was known to the local NHS trust for his issues though.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Whilst the speed of light is fast, you need to consider how far light travels in one clock tick. The speed of light is roughly 300000000 metres per second. If the chip runs at 3GHz, or 3000000000. This means that in one clock tick, the signal can only travel 10 cm. Whilst chips are not that large, the signal in the chips might not take a direct route, and have multiple layers to negotiate.

You've almost entirely demonstrated that the speed of light isn't a factor. To all practical intents and purposes its instant. If you're a scientist though. especially one that lies in bed 'til the sun is low on the horizon, it's a bit lackadaisical.

Einstein and others used trains as an example, so choo, choo!

PS Sorry I messed up the editing. My comments start at 'You've' (near the bottom)
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

It's not the speed of light, it's the speed of electrons - you touched on that briefly. The quest for higher electron mobility has been a key driver in the development of some of the new materials like Gallium Nitride.

We've had issues with clock skew for years. It's not going to get better. People are still beavering away on asynchronous designs, but that's not an area I follow.
    Async chips were being worked on in Manchester by Steve Furber, one of the original designers of the ARM chip. They were called Amulet.
  • Options
    eek said:

RobD said:
    It's not that popular in various parts of Turkey. Polls on the matter are varied to say the least.

Erdogan is going to rapidly run out of friends ...
    Erdogan has plenty of friends - just not in the Westernized parts of Istanbul and Antalya. Head outside there and his strong man image is still liked and respected...
    You are right, but I meant friends *outside* Turkey.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    Oh well, here we go.
  • Options
    I'm hoping the turnout is ridiculously high, something like 85%. Probably won't be, but it'd be really awesome if it was.
  • Options
    oops, old thread!
This discussion has been closed.