Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the betting has often seemed so out of line with the po

Comments

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

Leave will win if Londoners can't get back home to vote. The flooding on the transport network is like some sort of sick joke.

Unfortunate if people cannot vote, but how many could have voted earlier? Not all would needed to have waited, although some would have.
    Noone needs the transport network to vote in London. It'll be a short walk.
    They do need it if they can't get home from work.

Sorry, I am panicking probably.
  • Options
    JunglelandJungleland Posts: 40

Ladbrokes gave the reason for the betting odds being more in favour of REMAIN is that the average REMAIN bet was over £400 but the average leave bet was under £100.

Rich people are inclined to bet REMAIN and poor people are inclined to bet LEAVE, probably because that is their experience amongst the people they know.

Stakes are going to be higher on a 3s on jolly than a 3-1 shot because of the returns. Nothing to do with the wealth of the punter.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Sandpit said:

Way off topic, today's good news story:
    Two sick workers evacuated safely from the South Pole research station, after a massive rescue mission.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/21/antarctica-polar-rescue-planes-medical-emergency

But...two at once needed evacuating? What is this - The Thing?
    :lol::open_mouth::lol:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    Jobabob said:

Leave will win if Londoners can't get back home to vote. The flooding on the transport network is like some sort of sick joke.

Weren't you telling me not to worry about the weather this morning?

Very relaxed about my Leave betting position currently. It'll be close but they'll get over the line.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    theakes said:

Morris Dancer.You have summed it up "I guess". Nobody knows. Somebody said Warrington is a big Leave area, news to me. Consderable commuter belt in all directions, on the main line, M6, key industrial base for European firms etc, I used to work there. Really no - one knows.
    I live in the West Midlands and can only report that mothers at my grand daughters school in a less affluent area of the town, are heavily voting to Remain, (according to my daughter), apparently they all chat at the school gate. Me I have no personal idea or knowledge and await the outcome. I voted almost 3 weeks ago Remain, but have a bet on leave at 3-1. I have no idea at all whether I will be calling to collect tomorrow or not.
    Whatever happens we are in the EEC tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, even the year after, maybe even at the 2020 election. If Leave win, events usually take over and will we ever Leave, it has to be a big question. We may well look back in 2 years time and wonder what on earth was that all about!!!!!!

I don't think we've been in the EEC for a few years. It's certainly what Britain voted to join last time, but now we're in the EU (at time of writing!).
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Sunil has just texted me he's just voted in Ilford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    theakes said:

Morris Dancer.You have summed it up "I guess". Nobody knows. Somebody said Warrington is a big Leave area, news to me. Consderable commuter belt in all directions, on the main line, M6, key industrial base for European firms etc, I used to work there. Really no - one knows.
    I live in the West Midlands and can only report that mothers at my grand daughters school in a less affluent area of the town, are heavily voting to Remain, (according to my daughter), apparently they all chat at the school gate. Me I have no personal idea or knowledge and await the outcome. I voted almost 3 weeks ago Remain, but have a bet on leave at 3-1. I have no idea at all whether I will be calling to collect tomorrow or not.
    Whatever happens we are in the EEC tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, even the year after, maybe even at the 2020 election. If Leave win, events usually take over and will we ever Leave, it has to be a big question. We may well look back in 2 years time and wonder what on earth was that all about!!!!!!

If only we were in the EEC tomorrow, I think many would be more relaxed than being in the EU!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2016

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

How can remain be 84% - 16% - and what happens to bets if leave wins - (I don't bet or really understand it)

Because a narrow lead in the polls translates into a reasonably high probability of having more votes than the other side

The bets on remain are all lost and the people who have backed leave buy us all lots of drinks
    Thanks for that - so if leave win do the bookies lose
    If they have done their sums right, the larger lost bets on Remain should cover the cost of paying out the winnings to the Leave people (on betfair, since bets are matched, the transfers take place directly between the two sets of punters). Typically however bookmakers tend to do better when the expected happens (favourite wins) and can be caught out if something at longer odds comes in a winner. Whether they would actually be out of pocket with a Leave win, I have no idea. With just two outcomes, I suspect not - it's not exactly the same as a 100/1 horse winning the Grand National, after all...
    You are enlightening me - thanks - interesting
    To add to that, in a two horse race the bookie doesn't price the two outcomes the inverse of each other. So if leave is 4/1, remain won't be at 1/4, rather it will be at 1/5 or 1/6. This difference is called the overround and is the bookmaker's profit if he has similar liabilities for both outcomes. It also means as a punter that you can't win by betting on both outcomes at the same time.

The strategy followed by most is to watch the variations in price over time, and time your bets accordingly for the best value. So earlier today, Leave was at 7/1 so I bet on it. I didn't bet on Remain today though, I bet on remain last week when it was 4/6 (1/1.5) - so this combination of bets is guaranteed to win on either result. :D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

Unfortunate if people cannot vote, but how many could have voted earlier? Not all would needed to have waited, although some would have.

I drove all night, to get to EU
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

The radio report was from Romford though ? Surely a bit of a kippery area ?

That area is but the whole of the city has been hit by a storm.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,042
    My fellow Londoners, take a brolly and get to the polling station. Stop being lazy f**ckers!!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Two sick workers evacuated safely from the South Pole research station, after a massive rescue mission.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/21/antarctica-polar-rescue-planes-medical-emergency

The original story that the The Thing is based on was written in 1938. Way ahead of its time.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Here in Central London, it's 100% Remain, not a Leave poster / badge / volunteer in sight.

Look around again. Those not wearing any badge have voted Leave....
  • Options

Just hearing slight suggestions of low turnout in Remain-friendly Edinburgh thus far. Make of it what you will.

I voted at 7.30am but would concur. Nothing like queues. More oldies than anything (good for you, hope it's Leave). Perhaps it got busier later.
    I was straight in at 7am, and it was much quieter than a GE, only 2 of us. Normally a few people in there at 7, if its decent weather, which it was.
    I wonder what's happening in Glasgow.
    Chief returning officer claming 70-80% turnout across Scotland. Would be weird if the Weeg turned out and Edinburgh didn't, but there's nowt so unpredictable as Scottish Politics.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

Don't worry voting will be extended in the same way registration was... If you are REMAIN you can vote tomorrow...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    I live 200 yards from the polling station - but won't vote because I made a promise.

From what I hear, London is really catching it pluvial-wise - hope no one is hurt and all there is is inconvenience.

(I gather the thunderstorms are scheduled to end at 10.00pm - TIC)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Northwest Kent (and presumbly south London at least) is suffering a complete deluge.

It's as dark as night.

Old people have umbrellas but do young people?
    Or men?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Sandpit said:

The strategy followed by most is to watch the variations in price over time, and time your bets accordingly for the best value. So earlier today, Leave was at 7/1 so I bet on it. I didn't bet on Remain today though, I bet on remain last week when it was 4/6 (1/1.5) - so this combination of bets is guaranteed to win on either result. :D

And that is what is known as a 'crafty aftertime' :D
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Glad to hear he made it. Did he need to swim?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

When you listen to the lyrics of that song, it could be about your worst stalker nightmare....
  • Options
    Hope everyone is able to vote who can today (genuinely)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Someone mentioned railway stuff. You may enjoy this video [I'm not a rail enthusiast, so can't be sure]:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C12aycIepqA
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

When you listen to the lyrics of that song, it could be about your worst stalker nightmare....
    My nomination for a song that has aged extremely poorly is Rod Stewart's 'Tonight's the Night'. Lyrics are definitely a bit squee
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    Just voted. With very little enthusiasm, it has to be said.

Very quiet for an inner London polling station at 5 PM. Didn't see any voters coming out and only one coming in as I was leaving.

Raining, but not that heavily. A bigger factor may be that there are major building and roadworks which completely cut off the polling station from mosr of the electors. Most will have to take a highly circuitous and counter-intuitive route to get there, so may give up/not bother. Certainly the least convenient polling station I've ever had to vote in, and three times in barely a year.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

And you're quite right in your point. No need to panic - we pay our politicians to be doing that.

• Options
    My book is currently sitting at £1k clean no matter what happens tonight...

Tempted to take half of that and stick it on Leave victory though, the odds seem tempting right now giving what we are hearing.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

YouGove have an interactive tool:.

Do you really mean that, Mr Borough?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

IanB2 said:

How can remain be 84% - 16% - and what happens to bets if leave wins - (I don't bet or really understand it)

Because a narrow lead in the polls translates into a reasonably high probability of having more votes than the other side

The bets on remain are all lost and the people who have backed leave buy us all lots of drinks
    Crikey, Big G, please don't tell me you thought that bookies odds actually relate to what the bookie think the outcome will be!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Well done Sunil, provisional winner of the best trip to the polling station award 2016. Has anyone else gone way out of their way to manage to vote today?
    My brother flew back from Germany last night to vote.
    Another one for the short list, well done to him.
    A mate of mine flew back from Spain to vote.
  • Options

Northwest Kent (and presumbly south London at least) is suffering a complete deluge.

It's as dark as night.

Old people have umbrellas but do young people?
    We have a young water-soluble gardener, who won't appear if there is a hint of precipitation in the air. Doesn't stop his dad turning up though. Make of that what you will....
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited June 2016
    From my experience in Glasgow, the turnout in Scotland is not going to be high. I voted late afternoon and glancing at the electoral register list, there was barely 1 in 5 of the names crossed out.

Twitter is confusing with a lot of people reporting personal experience of dead polling places while the Leave email about "high Scottish turnout" and a 9am statement from the Chief Returning Officer keep getting re-tweeted. I tend towards the personal experiences getting reported. Edit - it seems the statement was reported at 5pm not 9am. I am very surprised if this is correct because it doesn't seem to tally with real experiences.

I think Remain's hopes for a big boost from Scotland will be quite heavily suppressed due to turnout.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Jobabob said:

you really mean divine retribution
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Jobabob said:

Weren't you telling me not to worry about the weather this morning?

Very relaxed about my Leave betting position currently. It'll be close but they'll get over the line.

Er have you seen the ques in London, they aint Leave voters
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Just hearing slight suggestions of low turnout in Remain-friendly Edinburgh thus far. Make of it what you will.

I voted at 7.30am but would concur. Nothing like queues. More oldies than anything (good for you, hope it's Leave). Perhaps it got busier later.
    Not very busy when I voted but, interestingly, numbers of late twenties/thirty somethings. The demographic that voted Yes in Indyref and presumably will vote Remain this time
    Isn't there SOME risk of shy-Leavers in the SNP ranks. Don't want to go against the leadership in public, but know that Leave gives the best chance of another Referendum to get out the UK?
    I don't know if they are shy but there are definitely leavers in the SNP. Mostly they will be the older ones who would have voted Tory if they didn't think Scotland should be independent, and for the same reasons their counterparts in other parts of the UK think we should be out. Then there is the Jim Sillars provisional nationalist wing who think the UK getting out of the EU will get Scotland out of the UK quicker. Having said all that, SNP voters are probably more inclined to vote in a particular way because their party told them to than any other voters.
    You know me well but you could have been nice and said mature , but no-one but no-one tells me how to vote
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Any sign of (financial) market moves inspired by private exit polls?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    malcolmg said:

Jobabob said:

you really mean divine retribution
    I am sure Cameron will extend the voting until Saturday if thats the case
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    Perhaps a dangerous assumption, but I guess she should know what she's talking about.

https://twitter.com/libby_brooks/status/746015545003282432
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Glad to hear he made it. Did he need to swim?
    That man would have voted Leave if he'd had to bridge the mighty Zambezi to do so!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Jobabob said:

I am on the tube now and no problems at all!
  • Options
    Time to do that most dangerous of things...

Search tw@tter for turnout anecdote !
  • Options

I was straight in at 7am, and it was much quieter than a GE, only 2 of us. Normally a few people in there at 7, if its decent weather, which it was.
    sun shining at least
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358

IanB2 said:

Crikey, Big G, please don't tell me you thought that bookies odds actually relate to what the bookie think the outcome will be!
    You will have to put up with my total lack of knowledge of betting. Maybe if I understood it I could make some money, but it is a big maybe
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Only 4 hours of voting to go...

This is tense. I've never cared more about the result of an election.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

Polls open till 10, besides if enough can't get home to the suburbs than Cameron will order them to stay open longer, I think we have already seen he won't fight fair.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

The original story that the The Thing is based on was written in 1938. Way ahead of its time.
    "Who goes there"

Funnily enough the author is probably little known for his writing but as editor of the great magazines of the Golden Age of Sci-Fi is undoubtedly the most influential man in the history of the genre. One of my literary heroes.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Fookin Labour are getting on my tits seem to be putting more effort into REMAIN than a GE. TWO leaflets through door today FFS. FIVE Emails too.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @MarqueeMark It's not quite as stalkerish as "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)".
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 10
    Just back from voting from Dundee at about 5.20 pm. The people there said turnout is what it usually is.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Women a little more risk averse and so a little more against LEAVE and for REMAIN.

Women live longer and are thus older on average. Older people are more pro LEAVE.

Will these factors cancel out?

• Options
    Jon Gaunt has declared for "leave". Must say that has surprised me somewhat.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Lowlander said:

From my experience in Glasgow, the turnout in Scotland is not going to be high. I voted late afternoon and glancing at the electoral register list, there was barely 1 in 5 of the names crossed out.

Twitter is confusing with a lot of people reporting personal experience of dead polling places while the Leave email about "high Scottish turnout" and a 9am statement from the Chief Returning Officer keep getting re-tweeted. I tend towards the personal experiences getting reported.

I think Remain's hopes for a big boost from Scotland will be quite heavily suppressed due to turnout.

When is the turnout in Glasgow ever high? Even in indyref it had one of the lowest turnouts in Scotland. Outside of the Borders I would guess Glasgow will have one of the highest Brexit votes in Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen will be much more pro Remain, so a low Glasgow turnout is not necessarily terrible news for Remain
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

sun shining at least
    Do you think Glasgow could surprise and be closer than we think?
  • Options

It's as dark as night.

There was a property owner on Sky in Essex under water and at one time up the knee. If this is happening over leave's strongest area will that cause a problem for leave or remain
    Rest assured the leavers will wade through the Floodwater to vote.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    John_M said:

Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

My nomination for a song that has aged extremely poorly is Rod Stewart's 'Tonight's the Night'. Lyrics are definitely a bit squee
    How about 'You're Sixteen' originally by Johnny Burnette and then Ringo Starr who had a US number 1 with it in 1974.
  • Options

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

"Who goes there"

Funnily enough the author is probably little known for his writing but as editor of the great magazines of the Golden Age of Sci-Fi is undoubtedly the most influential man in the history of the genre. One of my literary heroes.
    I remember discovering John Campbell based on all the wonderful things that Isaac Asimov wrote about him in 'The Early Asimov'. He was, as you say, a giant figure.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/746022887774109696
    https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/746024367801376768
  • Options
    Iqbal_M said:

Just back from voting from Dundee at about 5.20 pm. The people there said turnout is what it usually is.

You mean from 1975 or Sindy or AV?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Fookin Labour are getting on my tits seem to be putting more effort into REMAIN than a GE. TWO leaflets through door today FFS. FIVE Emails too.

We'll put you down as REMAIN then.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Pulpstar said:

twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/746022887774109696
    twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/746024367801376768
    Expecting?
    Maybe everyone voted early cause of the rain :p
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Ms Scrap advises her school referendum saw Remain triumph - 83.7% to 14.4% (rest DKd)
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, it's certainly full of suspense.
  • Options
    Absolute monsoon in Blackfriars. Got train home walked to polling station and came out to absolute monsoon again over 40 miles away and got drenched.

My 6-1 Leave betting slip is ok though :)

As I went up the footbridge at the station after getting off the train a kid said to his dad "What will happen if World War 3 starts tomorrow :D
  • Options
    edited June 2016

John_M said:

Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

How about 'You're Sixteen' originally by Johnny Burnette and then Ringo Starr who had a US number 1 with it in 1974.
    Yes. Good one. Hmm. Ah well, o tempora o mores I suppose :).
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

Misread that as John Galt. His vote for Leave would be no surprise ...

Has Jon Snow declared yet?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

Will we see polling stations opened for longer in flooded parts of London?

Things are rarely so bad in London that people (who finish work late afternoon/early evening) cant get home by 10pm. The risk, I guess, is that after a miserable journey they don't feel like voting.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894

We'll put you down as REMAIN then.
    I am moving to Bolsover!!!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Jonathan said:

Any sign of (financial) market moves inspired by private exit polls?

I'm almost 100% sure that there is no predictive power in financial markets now besides the obvious - big companies will be big tomorrow etc.

If I was still in that industry I'd be thinking about when to buy GBP in the event of Leave. It turns out perhaps that everyone is thinking the same. So simply buy now, but that's too obvious so sell now.. You get the idea. The truth is out there, but it doesn't really pay just at the moment.

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    For those who like conspiracies:
    Seeing as there is public transport chaos across London it should be worth pointing out that the RMT were strong supporters of Brexit
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    If lots of people cannot get home to have their meal and vote due to the whims of nature then that is surely a reason for a re - run!! Definately woth a Court case.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Thought he died about 600 years ago. I know postal votes are valid post mortem if filled in when living but this seems a tad extreme.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Absolute monsoon in Blackfriars. Got train home walked to polling station and came out to absolute monsoon again over 40 miles away and got drenched.

My 6-1 Leave betting slip is ok though :)

As I went up the footbridge at the station after getting off the train a kid said to his dad "What will happen if World War 3 starts tomorrow :D

simples

George Osborne will up your taxes and slash your pension.

It's just all good news with Remain
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, still worried Leave will win?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Misread that as John Galt. His vote for Leave would be no surprise ...

Has Jon Snow declared yet?
    He won't vote. He knows nothing.
  • Options

They have the money remember...its the backing thats helping them
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Returned from work to find a couple of young VoteLeavers pushing leaflets through letterboxes - definitely working harder than Remain, which I'm still surprised about, given the effort the local LDs put in to win the seat in 2015.

Remain were again outside the tubes this morning and again nobody from Leave, both sides just focusing on their core vote at this stage
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Twitter is confusing with a lot of people reporting personal experience of dead polling places while the Leave email about "high Scottish turnout" and a 9am statement from the Chief Returning Officer keep getting re-tweeted. I tend towards the personal experiences getting reported.

When is the turnout in Glasgow ever high? Even in indyref it had one of the lowest turnouts in Scotland. Outside of the Borders I would guess Glasgow will have one of the highest Brexit votes in Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen will be much more pro Remain, so a low Glasgow turnout is not necessarily terrible news for Remain
    True. But for IndyRef the polling place was much busier and there were far more names crossed off at 8am when I voted than there were at 3pm today. For the GE and Scottish elections, again the polling place was far busier with far more names crossed out (both of those I voted late afternoon).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

David Coburn MEP ‏@DavidCoburnUKip 2m2 minutes ago

Glastonbury Festival on today

Finger on the pulse of the nation.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

And that is what is known as a 'crafty aftertime' :D
    It's known as a green book! I'm about £50 up if Remain wins and £750 if Leave does. Couldn't resist that 8.2 on Betfair for leave earlier today.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

Thought he died about 600 years ago. I know postal votes are valid post mortem if filled in when living but this seems a tad extreme.
    Born in Belgium too, what a betrayer to Remain.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35874778/glastonbury-wants-you-to-vote-by-post-in-eu-referendum

"In an article for the Guardian Emily said "That certainly does not mean that the people coming can't - or shouldn't - vote on 23 June.

"The day that the referendum date was announced, we began our campaign to encourage everyone coming to the festival to register for either a postal vote (which is what I've done) or a proxy vote (where you nominate someone to do it for you)."

She says they're e-mailing every ticket-holder details on how to vote."
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

John_M said:

Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

"Take Good Care of my Baby" by Bobby Vee?

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

Born in Belgium too, what a betrayer to Remain.
    This blessed plot, this England.

Suppose he was a Kipper?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Returned from work to find a couple of young VoteLeavers pushing leaflets through letterboxes - definitely working harder than Remain, which I'm still surprised about, given the effort the local LDs put in to win the seat in 2015.

Remain were again outside the tubes this morning and again nobody from Leave, both sides just focusing on their core vote at this stage
    But my point was this is a LD voting area, is that not worth effort locally for remain?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Hmm I still think that Leave will win, however if the polls had been more accurate and predicted a leave win then remain may have edged it IMO (as more apathetic remains would have turned out). Should be a very interesting few months after the referendum as we analyse how and why the polls and betting markets were so far off.

Turnout is looking high whenever I've had a chance to see.

No as if Leave led most of the final polls even more undecided would have to switch to Remain for them to win than if Remain led
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Jobabob said:

This was DC Metro yesterday:

http://gizmodo.com/watch-this-apocalyptic-timelapse-of-the-dc-metro-flood-1782453501
  • Options
    I voted this morning. My better half is off to vote shortly. We are cancelling each other out. Neither can convince the other. My argument is democracy, hers economics. Classic English v Scottish stereotype.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, being born in a stable doesn't make a man a horse.
  • Options
    nunu said:

malcolmg said:

sun shining at least
    I think there will be more SNP voters for Leave than expected for sure. I certainly am due to the lies Cameron and chums have been spouting.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

But my point was this is a LD voting area, is that not worth effort locally for remain?
    are you in Sutton as well
  • Options
    Brief anecdote alert while a grab some food and a slim ray of light.

Our 2 WWC wards passed their 2015 GE turnout level at 430pm today. People are still streaming in. Lots of first time voters.

No idea if this is typical across the country but here the WWC are turning out.

Must eat and then back out.

Heads down, shoulders to the wheel get our vote out and we can do this.

Chin chin.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

John_M said:

Jobabob said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Jobabob said:

"Take Good Care of my Baby" by Bobby Vee?

Save All Your Kisses For Me - Brotherhood of Man.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895
    HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Hmm I still think that Leave will win, however if the polls had been more accurate and predicted a leave win then remain may have edged it IMO (as more apathetic remains would have turned out). Should be a very interesting few months after the referendum as we analyse how and why the polls and betting markets were so far off.

Turnout is looking high whenever I've had a chance to see.

No as if Leave led most of the final polls even more undecided would have to switch to Remain for them to win than if Remain led
    That's pretty much what I said.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Mr. Scotland, how do you think Scotland will vote? [Most assume Remain, but I meant the margin more than that].

Edited extra bit: Mr. Child, cheers for that info.
  • Options
    timmo said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

are you in Sutton as well
    Darkest Wiltshire, but in a LD run town.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nunu said:

malcolmg said:

sun shining at least
    I think there will be more SNP voters for Leave than expected for sure. I certainly am due to the lies Cameron and chums have been spouting.
    Until a year ago those SNP voters were Labour voters . . .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563

Mr. Eagles, still worried Leave will win?

I'm always worried on election day.

I'm taking a break from politics for a few hours, and focus on other things
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

In the provinces, City of London and Westminster is a safe Tory seat but in London. Whether a seat is in a big city or a market town is a much better indication of referendum voting than which party holds it
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Jobabob said:

This was DC Metro yesterday:

http://gizmodo.com/watch-this-apocalyptic-timelapse-of-the-dc-metro-flood-1782453501
    It'll give the escalators/stairs a good clean I guess!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Evening all.

Civic and Patriotic duty complete

Turnout described as "good". 10 pages of voter list compared to 3 for a normal election
This discussion has been closed.