Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the betting has often seemed so out of line with the po

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    MP_SE said:

Still at the polling station. Quite a few passionate Leavers showing me their pens as they go in.

Are they saying "Show me yours and I'll show you mine"?

As a matter of interest why would they show you their pens ..... very strange!
    Worried the powers that be might try and change their vote (if they use pencil)
    A relative of 57 years of age voted today for the third time in their life and went armed with a pen. Make of that what you will.
    Been watching too many YouTube videos!
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158
    What turnout are you all expecting in Sunderland? In the GE Sunderland Central was 57%. I'm going for 65% and a leave win by 3%
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Should NOT, just because of a bit of rain, give us a break.

It's not just a bit of rain. It's the collapse of majority of the South East commuter network. Suspect you would have felt differently 18 Sep 2014 if this had impacted Glasgow.
    Bet it is a light shower or two, we get real rain up here not your 3 mm stuff.

PS: I have been taxed a fortune to gild London and its wasted by a few showers , what cretins planned that
    If london is so gilded how come they are still struggling with early twentieth century d.c. third rail electrification systems and signalling that pre dates world war 2 while you have nice new signalling and overhead 25kV electrification in Glasgow?
    All been spent on swanky wine bars :D
    And fancy clothes and overpriced houses.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    timmo said:

timmo said:

Still at the polling station. Quite a few passionate Leavers showing me their pens as they go in.

They would need more rubbers than in a Bangkok brothel for that..
    Voice of experience?
    I always used my pen in a Bangkok brothel
    In/Out/In/Out!!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

I'm very relaxed about the result. A leave vote does not necessarily mean that the country will become a basketcase (*), and neither does a remain vote.

We can be a great country inside or outside of the EU.
    We can be a failure inside or outside of the EU.

The question comes down to whether it will be easier or harder whilst in. (**)

(*) Or more of, depending on your view.
    (**) Fnarr

I am more concerned about a corbyn government!!!! He would make the nonsense from Brussels look like small beer.
    One of my clients - who I'd had down as a certain Leaver - said to me:

"Britain, under Cameron or Gove or Johnson and out the EU - sounds good to me. Britain, under Corbyn, and out the EU - scares the living daylights out of me."

I assume he still voted Leave, but perhaps the prospect of Corbyn unconstrained won it for Remain.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited June 2016

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

It's not just a bit of rain. It's the collapse of majority of the South East commuter network. Suspect you would have felt differently 18 Sep 2014 if this had impacted Glasgow.

PS: I have been taxed a fortune to gild London and its wasted by a few showers , what cretins planned that
    If london is so gilded how come they are still struggling with early twentieth century d.c. third rail electrification systems and signalling that pre dates world war 2 while you have nice new signalling and overhead 25kV electrification in Glasgow?
    now you are splitting hairs, we have one new signal box
    It's much more that just one signal box:
    http://www.egip.info/

As an aside, ISTR BR worked out in the 1980s that the entire rail network could be controlled from just four massive signal boxes. They chose not to start down that route for various reasons. I've always wondered why it couldn't just be one: the speed of light is too slow, perhaps?
    They have started looking at centralising signal boxes. I will try to dig up the link....

Yep its https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_Operating_Centre Rail Operating Centres to be fully operational in 2058!!!!!
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Omnium said:

currystar said:

If remian wins then one wonders about the ability of this sites contributors to assist in "Political Betting". If you read back the threads over the past month and even this thread an outsider would think Leave are going to win comfortably

I think people are quite honest about their bets, and those bets' fate.

As I recall things (so unlikely to be true) I've only ever recommended one bet here, and it was that Vince was toast. However if all the bets I recollect were my only bets then I'd be very rich indeed, and checking my bank balance suggests otherwise.

PB is about politics more than money. I don't believe that there is a more astute community out there as regards to British politics.

PB makes you think.

Even if I mostly lurk, for me PB is a place where people speak openly and freely and you get a real sense of the passion and beliefs of politically committed people. It's a fantastic place. Long may it continue. I know around election time the costs rocket to keep it going.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

As an aside, ISTR BR worked out in the 1980s that the entire rail network could be controlled from just four massive signal boxes. They chose not to start down that route for various reasons. I've always wondered why it couldn't just be one: the speed of light is too slow, perhaps?
    There's a guy on Kickstarter selling some networking equipment that sends information faster than the speed of light!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

It's hilariously paranoid. Like a serious attempt to subvert the result simultaneously across hundreds of polling stations is going to stop because the man with the rubber can't remove the cross. Barking, barking mad.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Why do so many people in Newcastle vote by post? Highly urban and youngish I'd have thought.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Ok .ive just backed remain to get between 50.01 and 55% at 11/8 after all the talk on here
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

PB Train Doyens will know this. Why can't a train run through water like this? I thought the bottom bit was purely mechanical.

https://twitter.com/greateranglia/status/745854236001439746/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

If it was pure water it would be fine but its not so it conducts electricity and shorts out the rails together making the signalling system think there is a train there and putting all the signals to red.

South of the thames it also shorts out the 750v d.c. conductor rails which leak tens of thousands of amps all over the water causing all sorts of interesting things (and them to be switched off in short order)

My dad just called me - he says there are reports of a train being hit by lightning (near St Albans?). Presumably there's no danger to life in that case? I assume it's like being in a car.
    That would account for the report about power supply failure between Elstree and St Albans.

Everyone inside should be safe because a train is basically a faraday cage but they now have a train with all itsw electrics blown and a fused power supply system which means the Midland Main line will now be at a stand which means in practical terms that if OGH has gone to London for the day and planned to vote when he got back he may well be disappointed.

Open Train times is also showing "LAND SLIP BLOK" on the up slow north of St Albans and another landslip south of st albans with everything at a stand either side of st Albans

This is the worst day of disruption for years - certainly outside winter snowstorms.
    Isn't St Albans wired to 25kV? If so, surely it knocks out the power supplies as well.

Network Rail are getting really good at speedily reacting to line blockages - look at the washout near Buxton last week, or the Paddington SPAD that knocked out the ?portal? that carries the catenary (power lines).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

There's a guy on Kickstarter selling some networking equipment that sends information faster than the speed of light!
    And I bet the some of the same people who backed star citizen have backed that too....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Surely not the speed of light? I can ping my computer in San Francisco in ~150ms (which I think is the round trip time?)
    Too great a risk of system failure. With multiple signal boxes and SPADS there is much greater redundancy - which is what you want.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    EPG said:

Omnium said:

currystar said:

If remian wins then one wonders about the ability of this sites contributors to assist in "Political Betting". If you read back the threads over the past month and even this thread an outsider would think Leave are going to win comfortably

PB is about politics more than money. I don't believe that there is a more astute community out there as regards to British politics.

PB makes you think.
    I would say the comments are well-read inside and outside politics, but (ironically) hardly astute in forecasting, say, GE 2015, Corbyn's election, or even the scale of Khan's election. Hands up who saw Corbyn. Not me.
    PB very much saw Corbyn on the day of the nominations. He was 100/1 for half a day after he was nominated, my best politics bet ever - shame it was only ten quid and not a grand or two.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Ahem. I though that wasn't allowed.
  • Options
    El_DaveEl_Dave Posts: 145

MP_SE said:

Does anyone know why Michael Portillo has not taken a more prominent role in the referendum?

Probably because he is enjoying his TV career which doubtless also pays more and which he doesn't therefore wish to jeopardise by becoming too political.
    I saw a little of one of Mr Portillo's programmes the other day. He was wearing pink trousers.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    tyson said:

stodge said:

On a personal note, nice to see Tabman and Cicero posting today. From the mists of the early days of political betting, they have returned.

Welcome home, gents.

Tabman, Cicero, JosiasJessop (so sorry to hear of your illness- best wishes for a speedy recovery)- it is almost like the old gang is back.

I didn't know @JosiasJessop had been ill?

Hope you get well soon Josias. :)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Just looked up the weather forecast , longest I could get was 15 days and forecast is 15 days raining , after sun splitting a hole in sky today. It must be summer.
  • Options

pinkrose said:
    Great for democracy, I'd love to see a turnout as high as Indyref. Might be strong for Leave?
    It's hard to tell: Remain vote is big but soft; Leave vote is smaller but more enthused.

*But* I really think the pollsters may have downweighted traditional non-voters. For this reason, I'm cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Here in SW London, we've had very little significant rain over the past 12 hours, just a number of bouts of persistent drizzle, but it's been a thoroughly dull, dank, cold, miserable day.
    Unless you were particularly exercised by the prospect of voting in the referendum, I can't imagine anything close to record numbers bothering to travel any sort of distance by foot in order to vote. Fortunately, I arranged a postal vote.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Why do so many people in Newcastle vote by post? Highly urban and youngish I'd have thought.

There was a postal only election (think it was the North East Regional Government Referendum). Since then the North East has had a large number of voters who kept it for convenience... (I have a postal vote, my wife votes at 4pm with the girls in tow)...
  • Options

Weren't they the first people in a trial to be offered postal votes as a right rather than a special circumstance & there was a bug drive on it. And once you have applied you get opportunity from then on.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255
    There are certainly are an awful lot of anecdotal reports of high leave turnout on this thread, and very few in comparison for the other camp. This seemingly either reflects the point of view of this site, which has a high proportion of more right-leaning contributors, or something of a genuine wider significance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

pinkrose said:
    Great for democracy, I'd love to see a turnout as high as Indyref. Might be strong for Leave?
    It's hard to tell: Remain vote is big but soft; Leave vote is smaller but more enthused.

*But* I really think the pollsters may have downweighted traditional non-voters. For this reason, I'm cautiously optimistic.
    My office cleaner voted. She NEVER votes. It wasn't for remain either.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,130
    edited June 2016
    Just been to vote in Essex, turnout not much higher than the local elections in May at this time from what I can see, though the weather is now more showers than heavy rain and a few tiny patches of blue sky so hopefully as the weather improves a bit more will come out
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    I just cycled down to my Glasgow polling place, arriving at 6.55 and waiting around 15 minutes to see what sort of rush the post-dinner crowd were causing.

In short, it was still dead with less than 10 people entering the polling place during those 15 minutes. This should be a peak time for voting. So again, I am expecting very low turnout in Glasgow and likely much of the rest of Scotland.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Omnium said:

currystar said:

As I recall things (so unlikely to be true) I've only ever recommended one bet here, and it was that Vince was toast. However if all the bets I recollect were my only bets then I'd be very rich indeed, and checking my bank balance suggests otherwise.

PB makes you think.

Even if I mostly lurk, for me PB is a place where people speak openly and freely and you get a real sense of the passion and beliefs of politically committed people. It's a fantastic place. Long may it continue. I know around election time the costs rocket to keep it going.
    On which point - any danger of the site going down tonight, or are there contingency arrangements?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

That's ... interesting. Superluminal communication is theoretical, to say the least.

Perhaps using quantum entanglement?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Live pictures from Hyde Park of the raging London storm

http://favim.com/orig/201104/24/Favim.com-23008.jpg
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Here in SW London, we've had very little significant rain over the past 12 hours, just a number of bouts of persistent drizzle, but it's been a thoroughly dull, dank, cold, miserable day.
    Unless you were particularly exercised by the prospect of voting in the referendum, I can't imagine anything close to record numbers bothering to travel any sort of distance by foot in order to vote. Fortunately, I arranged a postal vote.

Interesting...the weather must be very localised. Here in Chessington just a few miles away we had a torrential downpour last night and another one this afternoon.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    rcs1000 said:

I'm very relaxed about the result. A leave vote does not necessarily mean that the country will become a basketcase (*), and neither does a remain vote.

We can be a great country inside or outside of the EU.
    We can be a failure inside or outside of the EU.

The question comes down to whether it will be easier or harder whilst in. (**)

(*) Or more of, depending on your view.
    (**) Fnarr

I am more concerned about a corbyn government!!!! He would make the nonsense from Brussels look like small beer.
    One of my clients - who I'd had down as a certain Leaver - said to me:

"Britain, under Cameron or Gove or Johnson and out the EU - sounds good to me. Britain, under Corbyn, and out the EU - scares the living daylights out of me."

I assume he still voted Leave, but perhaps the prospect of Corbyn unconstrained won it for Remain.
    Vote as you see it. If you don't do precisely that then democracy doesn't work. So, again, vote as you see it.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

There is a fruit loop idea that using a pen prevents fraud, being going around Leave of FB etc.
  • Options

What turnout are you all expecting in Sunderland? In the GE Sunderland Central was 57%. I'm going for 65% and a leave win by 3%

That would be a particularly interesting result: a lower than expected lead for Leave *but* a sign that WWC areas were really getting out and voting (which would be positive).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    edited June 2016

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

That's ... interesting. Superluminal communication is theoretical, to say the least.

Perhaps using quantum entanglement?
    Be careful you will have MD excited and starting on front differential
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

There are certainly are an awful lot of anecdotal reports of high leave turnout on this thread, and very few in comparison for the other camp. This seemingly either reflects the point of view of this site, which has a high proportion of more right-leaning contributors, or something of a genuine wider significance.

There certainly *are*, I should say there. Back to the coffee, again.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

London looks like it has strong turnout.
  • Options
    Turn out in Parkfield ward PB described as 'much better than the GE last year'.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    El_Dave said:

MP_SE said:

Does anyone know why Michael Portillo has not taken a more prominent role in the referendum?

Probably because he is enjoying his TV career which doubtless also pays more and which he doesn't therefore wish to jeopardise by becoming too political.
    I saw a little of one of Mr Portillo's programmes the other day. He was wearing pink trousers.
    Lovely lemon blazer tonight, in beautiful Florence.

#envy
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

pinkrose said:
    Lots of students in Newcastle.

Been to vote with fox jr in suburban Leicester, mixed community of all social classes age above average, lots of commuters.. Looked at the sheet, prob 60% of names crossed off by 1900. I suppose some of the others would be postal.
  • Options
    Anybody any idea what the UBER surcharge has gone up to tonight in central london?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

pinkrose said:

My office cleaner voted. She NEVER votes. It wasn't for remain either.
    A clean sweep for Leave?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

You’ve been hanging round the Quays too much. Lot of older people about, too.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

From my experience in Glasgow, the turnout in Scotland is not going to be high. I voted late afternoon and glancing at the electoral register list, there was barely 1 in 5 of the names crossed out.

Twitter is confusing with a lot of people reporting personal experience of dead polling places while the Leave email about "high Scottish turnout" and a 9am statement from the Chief Returning Officer keep getting re-tweeted. I tend towards the personal experiences getting reported.

I think Remain's hopes for a big boost from Scotland will be quite heavily suppressed due to turnout.

When is the turnout in Glasgow ever high? Even in indyref it had one of the lowest turnouts in Scotland. Outside of the Borders I would guess Glasgow will have one of the highest Brexit votes in Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen will be much more pro Remain, so a low Glasgow turnout is not necessarily terrible news for Remain
    Aberdeen Remain? Are you sure?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Spooky action at a distance.
  • Options

That reflects the PoV of this site!

I suspect when I go down to vote for myself and the wife (with her proxy, and never mind the fact the votes cancel each other out), I will find that my part of Hampstead is super high turnout, and 80-90% Remain.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Lowlander said:

I just cycled down to my Glasgow polling place, arriving at 6.55 and waiting around 15 minutes to see what sort of rush the post-dinner crowd were causing.

In short, it was still dead with less than 10 people entering the polling place during those 15 minutes. This should be a peak time for voting. So again, I am expecting very low turnout in Glasgow and likely much of the rest of Scotland.

Was never any chance Glasgow and Dundee would have higher turnouts for this than the Scottish Ref.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

The pen is mightier than the fraud.
    Classic!
  • Options
    Leave drifting a bit on Betfair, now 7.2 The £ has been going sideways for a few hours.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

There is a fruit loop idea that using a pen prevents fraud, being going around Leave of FB etc.
    It's quaint and endearing that people are both bonkers paranoid and completely naive at the same time.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

But it's new, "collaborative" and "disruptive" technology. They don't see why they should need to follow the old fashioned laws of Physics and will throw expensive lawyers at Physics if it tries to argue otherwise!
  • Options

Turnout WILL be high everywhere but I don't think it means anything in particular for LEAVE.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Voted about 6pm this evening and my very rough back-of-a-fag-packet figures imply about a 42% turnout among polling station voters at that time. With the usual evening rush and higher turnout among postal voters, that'd probably point to about a 60-65% turnout in my polling district which does tally with the national 70-75% band. Very approximate though, as I don't have the current postal vote share for my district or the usual turnout hourly profile as we've not done telling while I've been living here.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:
    32% postal vote is very good for Leave.
    It's a very studenty town at the end of term... so hard to make definitive conclusion. We'll find out by about 12:30am mind :)
  • Options
    Based on my experiece today, sadly I think Remain are on course to a big win which would be catastrophic for Britain and working people. They are just more organised, the affluent middle classes leafleting main line stations like Tonbridge, London Bridge and Charing Cross Leave by conrtrasdt have been invisible over the past few weeks.
    Its' the party machines GOTV that will do for Leave and should they win big god help us all..
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    MP_SE said:

stuck on a train
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

In Indyref, on the day of voting, there were lots of rumours of massively increased turnout in areas like Muirhouse in Edinburgh. This implied a "Yes," vote but obviously it wasn't enough. If I remember it was 30% turnout by 10am, when GE turnout would be around 25% for the whole day.

Though, all of this is interesting nevertheless.

Indeed, turnout is always well under 50% until at least 7pm when the rush starts
    The Leave excitement and these reports reminds me of Yes at Indyref, before the first results came in.

Even if Leave loses, which is what I expect, they'll come away changed.
    Agree on that
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Anecdote: my mother (staunch Conservative, member most of her life, leaning towards Leave but wavering thru the campaign because of Cameron and some of the risks) phoned to say she had voted for Remain. But thinks she is in a reasonably small minority judging from the comments of her neighbours in her semi-sheltered block.

If there was a scintilla of residual doubt in my mind as I walked into the polling station this morning, it was removed by the sight of the 80-odd year old old dear trudging slowly but purposefully towards me from the opposite direction with a great big smile on her face ready to cast her vote. "She's definitely voting Leave, the racist old cow, before she goes home, quietly satisfied with what she may well have done for the country and the younger generations, and then shortly pops her clogs" I thought
    Charming! :(

Evening GIN, assume you have done your patriotic duty.
    Evening Macl. Yes, voted LEAVE this morning.
    WEll done. A poke in the eye for those establishment no-gooders.
    Yep, we need a shake up. Have no faith that we'll get one though. Looks like a comfortable night for REMAIN.
    Politics will be shaken up though, whatever the result. It'll be close - which means a rebirth of either a) a continued 'leave' campaign, or a nascent 'rejoin EU' campaign tomorrow morning. One thing is for sure, Cameron doesn't get it put to bed for a generation. In the words of Alastair Campbell, it's a 'messy score draw'...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Off to vote after a light 2hr commute. Wondering if the polling station will be busier than May's Sussex PCC vote.

I would hope so. (Though Katie is good... I would say that she's a friend.)
  • Options
    Bl@%&dy h@$*l, I’be glad when thisw is over. Can we have an AV thread soon?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:
    It's a very studenty town at the end of term... so hard to make definitive conclusion. We'll find out by about 12:30am mind :)
    uni finished last week there...I would have imagined the little darlings will have buggered off home by now.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

I think that just reflects the greater number of Leavers posting. Also, they're excited that they might win whereas Remainers are nervous they might lose.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

In Indyref, on the day of voting, there were lots of rumours of massively increased turnout in areas like Muirhouse in Edinburgh. This implied a "Yes," vote but obviously it wasn't enough. If I remember it was 30% turnout by 10am, when GE turnout would be around 25% for the whole day.

Indeed, turnout is always well under 50% until at least 7pm when the rush starts
    The Leave excitement and these reports reminds me of Yes at Indyref, before the first results came in.

Agree on that
    Who is the Labour Party in England???
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    No rain here, peeples. 25C.

Voted, then been down the beach. Eat your hearts out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02x6ywLeOwE
    [far brighter than that vid]
  • Options

Based on my experiece today, sadly I think Remain are on course to a big win which would be catastrophic for Britain and working people. They are just more organised, the affluent middle classes leafleting main line stations like Tonbridge, London Bridge and Charing Cross Leave by conrtrasdt have been invisible over the past few weeks.
    Its' the party machines GOTV that will do for Leave and should they win big god help us all..

Indeed but I still think it will be closer than indyref, more like 52% 48% than 55% and as Scotland proves if the establishment side does not get nea 60% it settles nothing but it might boost UKIP in the short term
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

Agree on that
    Who is the Labour Party in England???
    The same could be asked about the one in Scotland. I hear they are shutting up shop.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    The Sun officially backed Brexit, but today it took a neutral position, saying people should make up their own minds. It may have even hinted that they should vote Remain.

Has this happened before? Do they normally say "Vote X, Vote X, Vote X" and then on voting day say "make up your own mind"? That would make sense, market-wise, but I just wondered whether it was normal.

They showed two young women in bikini bottoms, one with an an innie navel and one an outie, asking "In or out?"

That may have been a hint to vote "In", i.e. stick it in rather than keep it out.

Or maybe this was just in Scotland and the Scum said something different in England?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Impressive. Does he do snake oil as well? It'd be good if he did.
  • Options
    I am amused, because the one and only time I met Nadine Dorries was at Le Caprice, and it doesn't get much posher than that.

(She was incredibly nice, and offered to look after my two year old son while I took my five year old daughter to the toilet.)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited June 2016
    This pencil/pen business confirms that some in the leaver fraternity are losing their grip on reality, surely?

Even if you accept their premise - that someone in our shadowy security services wants to change the result - do they seriously think they would go about it by having someone in a back room rubbing out Leave votes with a rubber and pencilling in a Remain cross in the other box? In a Referendum of potentially 30 million votes in total? Leaving tons of ballots with rubbed-out crosses in the Leave box to go off to the count, which any sharp eyed person could spot. Who and where would this be done and how long would it take?

Even a modicum of common sense and a bit of thought should demonstrate this is nonsense.

If you were MI-whatever planning such an escapade, the only realistic way of achieving it would be to have some pre-prepared ballot boxes full of pre-printed and completed papers, and have someone on the inside so you could make a switch, either during the day or on the way to the count. To avoid this being spotted you would have to know how many papers you were substituting, which could be difficult but not impossible, if you had someone manning a polling station in your employ.

Whether you could do this on sufficient scale to affect the result in a national referendum, whilst avoiding anything too obvious like boxes being opened with every vote for Remain, is another matter. I'd suggest its pretty much impossible however you think about it.

But one thing's for sure, you are quite safe using a pencil....
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MP_SE

'Does anyone know why Michael Portillo has not taken a more prominent role in the referendum? '

Or Douglas Carswell.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

From my experience in Glasgow, the turnout in Scotland is not going to be high. I voted late afternoon and glancing at the electoral register list, there was barely 1 in 5 of the names crossed out.

Twitter is confusing with a lot of people reporting personal experience of dead polling places while the Leave email about "high Scottish turnout" and a 9am statement from the Chief Returning Officer keep getting re-tweeted. I tend towards the personal experiences getting reported.

I think Remain's hopes for a big boost from Scotland will be quite heavily suppressed due to turnout.

When is the turnout in Glasgow ever high? Even in indyref it had one of the lowest turnouts in Scotland. Outside of the Borders I would guess Glasgow will have one of the highest Brexit votes in Scotland, Edinburgh and Aberdeen will be much more pro Remain, so a low Glasgow turnout is not necessarily terrible news for Remain
    Comfortably, the Borders will be the only area in Scotland which might vote Leave
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

It ain't over until... Dimbleby goes to bed.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@RochdalePioneers

'One polling station when asked how it compares to a General Election - " we had more through the door by 12 than we had all day last year".

Very similar experience in my local polling station, at 11.30 it was a struggle to get my ballot into the box. However, as it's Beckenham it may well be good for Remain !

I woildnt bank on it. A lot of wwc oiks sold their c.ex council houses further in and moved there to avoid the diversity. A Jack W'esque friend in West Wickham is not happy about how they have lowered the tone of the area
  • Options
    If Leave do lose, will Farage resign the leadership of UKIP for more than 48 hours? Will he resign as an MEP?
  • Options
    Just back from voting and both my mother and brother, once staunch leavers, changed their minds and voted to remain. When I asked why they both said they didn't like the tone or direction that the leavers camp where taking. Could this prove to be a common problem for leave?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

I am amused, because the one and only time I met Nadine Dorries was at Le Caprice, and it doesn't get much posher than that.

(She was incredibly nice, and offered to look after my two year old son while I took my five year old daughter to the toilet.)
    Did you compare notes about a certain Labour supporter who used to post here? ;)
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Omnium said:

currystar said:

PB makes you think.

On which point - any danger of the site going down tonight, or are there contingency arrangements?
    I'll kick it if it goes down.

:)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    RobD said:
    They honestly seem to be moving away from meeting criteria anyway, confirming they have no intention of joining and don't care would be honest at least.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

I had about 5 people enter the polling station in 5 minutes in Essex, so not vastly different
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Did she give him back?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

But it's new, "collaborative" and "disruptive" technology. They don't see why they should need to follow the old fashioned laws of Physics and will throw expensive lawyers at Physics if it tries to argue otherwise!
    "Technically, the microscopic causality postulate of axiomatic quantum field theory implies the impossibility of superluminal communication using any phenomena whose behavior can be described by orthodox quantum field theory"

Wikipedia - and if you understand that then you're a better man than I am.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Monkeys said:

Yes would have done well with high turnout. The problem for yes was that it was an enourmas turnout.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

Comfortably, the Borders will be the only area in Scotland which might vote Leave
    I wonder possibly if Scottish Tory voters might generally vote Remain, so as to avoid another independence referendum.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    High turn out by one group only matters if there is no counter mobilisation by other groups.
  • Options

How do they know there is high Leave or Remain turnout? Are they pollsters? Have they asked those voting how they will vote? Personally I think turnout will be mid to late 60s now because of the weather, whereas it might have been mid 70s if sunshine, I doubt that sort of turnout really favours either side
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    Have now been to most polling stations here in Thornaby-on-Tees. All report higher than GE turnout, the ones in the older/poorer parts of town report massive turnout. One was north of 3x last may expecting 4x by the end of the night. All reporting new voters young and old.

Regardless of the result a festival of democracy. But if we see this kind of support in these kinds of communities in these kind of towns on this kind of scale, I am going to regret not having stuck money on Leave at today's silly odds.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    john_zims said:

@MP_SE

'Does anyone know why Michael Portillo has not taken a more prominent role in the referendum? '

Or Douglas Carswell.

They have a sense of shame?

• Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

No - the Western Isles will certainly vote Leave.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    TudorRose said:

It ain't over until... Dimbleby goes to bed.
    They didn't make him stay up for the locals I hope?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Lowlander said:

It’s the potential smuggling income after the subsequent Scottish Indyref!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DanSmith said:

pinkrose said:
    uni finished last week there...I would have imagined the little darlings will have buggered off home by now.
    We were talking about postals in Newcastle - I'm thinking the high number might be bacause students got them before buggering off

Or maybe not,
    Who knows?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    OK I need some some help, can anybody convince me that 15% return on my money for a few hours is not worth the risk?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Will he sell me Tower Bridge too?
  • Options
    Anybody any idea what the UBER surcharge has gone up to tonight in central london?
    John_N4 said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

No - the Western Isles will certainly vote Leave.
    Wasnt it them and the Isle of Wight the only 2 areas to vote no in 75?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Just back from voting and both my mother and brother, once staunch leavers, changed their minds and voted to remain. When I asked why they both said they didn't like the tone or direction that the leavers camp where taking. Could this prove to be a common problem for leave?

hmmm a lot of people reporting on here Leavers bottling it.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    It's not that popular in various parts of Turkey. Polls on the matter are varied to say the least.

Erdogan is going to rapidly run out of friends ...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Anorak said:

It's hilariously paranoid. Like a serious attempt to subvert the result simultaneously across hundreds of polling stations is going to stop because the man with the rubber can't remove the cross. Barking, barking mad.
    Harmless though.

I've enjoyed trolling Leave friends on Facebook telling them that the pictures they've taken of their ballots has now invalidated their votes.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    All this flooding in London - is there a risk that people won't get back in time to vote? presumably bad for remain on balance!

Reports everywhere indicating a high turnout, but then I recall similar comments in GE 2015 so maybe not.

This is going to be the longest night. Have done no work today and it'll certainly be the same tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.