Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the betting has often seemed so out of line with the po

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    timmo said:

Just think of Emily Thornberry tonight if it is the WWC that swing it to leave.
    She might as well throw the towel in and get out of politics

Not in Islington South & Finsbury she needn't. She is very representative of her constituency.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Evening all :)

An unusual day for me as the overnight storm disruption meant I had to work from home. The work still had to be done and I went out to vote at lunchtime over the road to the local Church Hall. Very quiet - a former Labour Councillor for the Ward was asking the Tamil residents to vote REMAIN but the polling station itself was moribund.

I voted LEAVE - no wibbles, wobbles or hesitation.

On topic, I do wonder if the weight of money tells a tale - at the racecourse, the average rails bookie isn't going to cut a horse from 11/4 to 5/2 for my £20 or even for a few other ponies but if he sees the exchange price moving, he moves.

It's about the volume of money, not the number of people betting.

Indeed, there are punters who do nothing other than bet on horses being backed - yes, it works sometimes but racing has too many variables to make it successful. In non-duty environment, betting on short odds (here I mean 1/8, 1/10 and the like) still make sense - more risk than a bank or building society but a much better return.

If all the money in a two-horse race is going one way, the price of the other horse doesn't matter. For the bookie, he has to keep cutting the price of the backed horse to reduce his liabilities but he will happily accommodate punters because there is a "chance" he will cop the lot and only have to pay out on the second horse.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any late bets which they consider offer value?

Mine would have to be LEAVE to win between 45 - 50% of the vote on offer at 15/8 from Corals.
    But Do Your OWN Research!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    John_M said:

timmo said:

Lowlander said:

scoop said:

Scotland's chief returning officer Mary Pitkeithley just interviewed on BBC estimates turnout at 70-80% #EUref

Absolutely no chance (and the statement is at least two hours old).
    Conspiracy theorists would say the turnout has already been decided..
    It had until GCHQs london HQ cellar flooded and spoiled all the extras......

Note: This is a joke
    CCHQ, not GCHQ. Not quite the same thing :).
    Do you want to tell them or shall I?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Chameleon said:

I reckon that the (non-voting) WWC is turning out in record numbers. My 52-48 prediction for Leave is looking good IMO.

I have been completely and utterly wrong before mind you.

I think the ABs are turning out in force. But it's close.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2016
    timmo said:

I think somebody better keep an eye out for Polly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

timmo said:

Lowlander said:

scoop said:

Scotland's chief returning officer Mary Pitkeithley just interviewed on BBC estimates turnout at 70-80% #EUref

Absolutely no chance (and the statement is at least two hours old).
    Conspiracy theorists would say the turnout has already been decided..
    It had until GCHQs london HQ cellar flooded and spoiled all the extras......

Note: This is a joke
    Are you confusing GCHQ and Conservative Campaign HQ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    timmo said:

If that does happen, I hope you will spare a moment of thought for poor Richard...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    I'm very relaxed about the result. A leave vote does not necessarily mean that the country will become a basketcase (*), and neither does a remain vote.

We can be a great country inside or outside of the EU.
    We can be a failure inside or outside of the EU.

The question comes down to whether it will be easier or harder whilst in. (**)

(*) Or more of, depending on your view.
    (**) Fnarr
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Rain band in London finally clearing out to the North East. Three hours of voting people. Get on it.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    If remian wins then one wonders about the ability of this sites contributors to assist in "Political Betting". If you read back the threads over the past month and even this thread an outsider would think Leave are going to win comfortably
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Anecdote: my mother (staunch Conservative, member most of her life, leaning towards Leave but wavering thru the campaign because of Cameron and some of the risks) phoned to say she had voted for Remain. But thinks she is in a reasonably small minority judging from the comments of her neighbours in her semi-sheltered block.

If there was a scintilla of residual doubt in my mind as I walked into the polling station this morning, it was removed by the sight of the 80-odd year old old dear trudging slowly but purposefully towards me from the opposite direction with a great big smile on her face ready to cast her vote. "She's definitely voting Leave, the racist old cow, before she goes home, quietly satisfied with what she may well have done for the country and the younger generations, and then shortly pops her clogs" I thought
    Charming! :(

Evening GIN, assume you have done your patriotic duty.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    nunu said:

Norm said:

theakes said:

If 30 million vote and Remain are ahead by 8 - 10%, I say if, and their voters turn out, then they win by what 2.5 to 3 milllion, and that assumes all the Leave voters turn out. It is going to be difficult for Leave even with rains in the South East, even there despite the weather could be that the middle classes,the AB's with their transport will turn up to vote rather than those without.

Wishful thinking. My neighbour a Leaver reported despite torrential rain and thunder overhead in mid Kent the polling station was busy plus full of white van man and wwc types. Not sure this is quite over for Leave yet.
    Your neighbour says things like wwc and white van man?
    No of course not but he's a classic C2 and a fervent leaver because of immigration and the way he feels it will reduce job opportunities for his young boys. I asked him whether it was busy up there to which he replied yes and it was then I asked him about the type of people voting.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    PB Train Doyens will know this. Why can't a train run through water like this? I thought the bottom bit was purely mechanical.

https://twitter.com/greateranglia/status/745854236001439746/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    Jobabob said:

The Leave price is drifting out. Seems at odds with the turnout reports and the London storms.

The turnout reports in Scotland are a few isolated anecdotes versus the Chief Returning Officer. Can't blame people for siding with the latter. The turnout reports in NI are that it is good in North Down and Belfast South, and bad in Belfast West. Contra those who analyse by religion, this is probably ok for REMAIN.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I'm very relaxed about the result. A leave vote does not necessarily mean that the country will become a basketcase (*), and neither does a remain vote.

(**) Fnarr

I am more concerned about a corbyn government!!!! He would make the nonsense from Brussels look like small beer.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Anecdote: my mother (staunch Conservative, member most of her life, leaning towards Leave but wavering thru the campaign because of Cameron and some of the risks) phoned to say she had voted for Remain. But thinks she is in a reasonably small minority judging from the comments of her neighbours in her semi-sheltered block.

If there was a scintilla of residual doubt in my mind as I walked into the polling station this morning, it was removed by the sight of the 80-odd year old old dear trudging slowly but purposefully towards me from the opposite direction with a great big smile on her face ready to cast her vote. "She's definitely voting Leave, the racist old cow, before she goes home, quietly satisfied with what she may well have done for the country and the younger generations, and then shortly pops her clogs" I thought

Evening Macl. Yes, voted LEAVE this morning.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Should NOT, just because of a bit of rain, give us a break.

It's not just a bit of rain. It's the collapse of majority of the South East commuter network. Suspect you would have felt differently 18 Sep 2014 if this had impacted Glasgow.
  • Options
    SPMLSPML Posts: 17
    Chameleon said:

I reckon that the (non-voting) WWC is turning out in record numbers. My 52-48 prediction for Leave is looking good IMO.

Look at the factual reports from Chameleon, Lowlander and Paul_Bedfordshire among others. They all know and seeing first hand how leave are winning this and getting so many previously non voters to vote leave. LEAVE HAVE WON.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PB Train Doyens will know this. Why can't a train run through water like this? I thought the bottom bit was purely mechanical.

https://twitter.com/greateranglia/status/745854236001439746/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Wrong kind of water no doubt
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    One polling station when asked how it compares to a General Election - " we had more through the door by 12 than we had all day last year".
  • Options
    starfishstarfish Posts: 1
    Cambs/Lincs border. Weather here has been horribly muggy all day, but very little rain, certainly no disruption. "Over 70%" already with three hours to go, say the ticker-offers. "Very busy", much more than GE. The two of them have been there since 6.30am and will stay to the end. ** applauds dedication ** On the basis of which I offered to return with a cake, but they were well prepared with sandwiches and thermos and the other paraphernalia I most associate with caravaners. Didn't bring my polling card, but no request for ID at all; in fact the two were rather pleased to happily take me on my word, for that is how our system works; and hence I felt an unexpected bonhomie for our entire voting process.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    SPML said:

Chameleon said:

Look at the factual reports from Chameleon, Lowlander and Paul_Bedfordshire among others. They all know and seeing first hand how leave are winning this and getting so many previously non voters to vote leave. LEAVE HAVE WON.
    Still at odds with the betting movement
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    currystar said:

If remian wins then one wonders about the ability of this sites contributors to assist in "Political Betting". If you read back the threads over the past month and even this thread an outsider would think Leave are going to win comfortably

No if you read the threads over the last month you'd think people here generally want Leave to win but expect to be disappointed.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

WEll done. A poke in the eye for those establishment no-gooders.
  • Options

First post here....

I am currently based in the UAE, specifically Dubai.

Just had an SMS from my bank to inform me that all sterling transfers into the UK will be unavailable from 8pm tonight until 9am tomorrow morning (UAE time)

I wonder if the banks know something we don't know about the private polling?
  • Options

(**) Fnarr

Josias - it's been good to see you back in force today. Should you decide to revert to lurking in the main, do please continue to post as and when the mood takes you - your presence adds considerably to the richness of this site.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If it was pure water it would be fine but its not so it conducts electricity and shorts out the rails together making the signalling system think there is a train there and putting all the signals to red.

South of the thames it also shorts out the 750v d.c. conductor rails which leak tens of thousands of amps all over the water causing all sorts of interesting things (and them to be switched off in short order)

• Options
    SPML said:

Chameleon said:

Thanks for letting us know. Saves me staying up all night.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

It's not just a bit of rain. It's the collapse of majority of the South East commuter network. Suspect you would have felt differently 18 Sep 2014 if this had impacted Glasgow.
    Bet it is a light shower or two, we get real rain up here not your 3 mm stuff.

PS: I have been taxed a fortune to gild London and its wasted by a few showers , what cretins planned that
  • Options

First post here....

Just had an SMS from my bank to inform me that all sterling transfers into the UK will be unavailable from 8pm tonight until 9am tomorrow morning (UAE time)

Probably a precaution rather than prediction?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016

currystar said:

No if you read the threads over the last month you'd think people here generally want Leave to win but expect to be disappointed.
    I have never forecast a Leave win, and don't expect one now. I certainly became mildly hopeful last week prior to Jo Cox's tragic death.

One of the many good things about this site is that most posters are quite careful to distinguish what they want with what they expect.
  • Options

First post here....

I would have thought that was just precautionary to prevent the bank getting had over in the case of an illiquid mkt
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895
    SPML said:

Chameleon said:

On the contrary, we're all for leave, so it could simply be confirmation bias. Moreover there could still be a lot of people coming home from work to vote (who will lean in).
  • Options
    EPG said:

Jobabob said:

The Leave price is drifting out. Seems at odds with the turnout reports and the London storms.

The turnout reports in Scotland are a few isolated anecdotes versus the Chief Returning Officer. Can't blame people for siding with the latter. The turnout reports in NI are that it is good in North Down and Belfast South, and bad in Belfast West. Contra those who analyse by religion, this is probably ok for REMAIN.
    What about East and North Belfast, Lisburn and Ballymena?
  • Options
    SPML said:

Chameleon said:

How does "I reckon" turn into a "factual report"? Be careful betting on this one, kids.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    RobD said:

First post here....

Probably a precaution rather than prediction?
    Precaution. HSBC had notices saying the same on Tuesday night...
  • Options

RobD said:

If it was pure water it would be fine but its not so it conducts electricity and shorts out the rails together making the signalling system think there is a train there and putting all the signals to red.

South of the thames it also shorts out the 750v d.c. conductor rails which leak tens of thousands of amps all over the water causing all sorts of interesting things (and them to be switched off in short order)

Right, forgot about third rail and signaling!
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Our nextdoor neighbour looks a bit cross that we've got a Remain card in the window. But I'm guessing he's mainly cross because he and his missus never registered to vote. I think that if the disaffected folk of places like North Birmingham were all on the electoral roll, Leave would win the referendum with ease.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    Still at the polling station. Quite a few passionate Leavers showing me their pens as they go in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Right, forgot about third rail and signaling!
    Third rail travel in the snow is very pretty.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Does anyone know why Michael Portillo has not taken a more prominent role in the referendum?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

In Indyref, on the day of voting, there were lots of rumours of massively increased turnout in areas like Muirhouse in Edinburgh. This implied a "Yes," vote but obviously it wasn't enough. If I remember it was 30% turnout by 10am, when GE turnout would be around 25% for the whole day.

Though, all of this is interesting nevertheless.

Indeed, turnout is always well under 50% until at least 7pm when the rush starts
    The Leave excitement and these reports reminds me of Yes at Indyref, before the first results came in.

Even if Leave loses, which is what I expect, they'll come away changed.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    First signs of significant Remain voters in the Valleys today. Lots of talk of people saying they will vote Remain.

Looks as though - from my anecdotal evidence here - the Brexiteers were a lot louder than the Remainians. The Remainians waited till polling day to come alive.

I still think Leave will win round here but today there has at least been some obvious Remain activity.

UKIP were very active throughout in Caerphilly. I saw nothing from Labour. Which isn't unusual.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

RobD said:

My dad just called me - he says there are reports of a train being hit by lightning (near St Albans?). Presumably there's no danger to life in that case? I assume it's like being in a car.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Mine would have to be LEAVE to win between 45 - 50% of the vote on offer at 15/8 from Corals.

I'm on a similar bet, Remain % 50-55 at 2.62 (13/8 less 5%) on Betfair. You got better odds than I did but I don't have credit with Coral.
  • Options

EPG said:

Jobabob said:

What about East and North Belfast, Lisburn and Ballymena?
    East Belfast OK for REMAIN. North Belfast OK for LEAVE. The others neutral.
  • Options
    Well I'm back from Chiddingly in the beautiful Wealden. The ladies on the desk had nearly ticked off all their names. Very high turnout - in their words. Reflected on that thought as I drove past the sign indicating the twinning with Lachappelle in France.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    edited June 2016
    MP_SE said:

Does anyone know why Michael Portillo has not taken a more prominent role in the referendum?

- He's retired from frontline politics
    - None of the careerists in the Leave campaign would want to risk being overshadowed and giving him a platform to return
    - He didn't think we should have a referendum at all
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

PS: I have been taxed a fortune to gild London and its wasted by a few showers , what cretins planned that
    If london is so gilded how come they are still struggling with early twentieth century d.c. third rail electrification systems and signalling that pre dates world war 2 while you have nice new signalling and overhead 25kV electrification in Glasgow?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    On a personal note, nice to see Tabman and Cicero posting today. From the mists of the early days of political betting, they have returned.

Welcome home, gents.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2016

First post here....

Welcome to PB, and good to see I'm not the only Dubai-based poster on here :)

The banks are usually closed here on Fridays, I guess they're worried about getting caught with no liquidity or increased spreads from the market makers. My FX broker here are working overnight out of Dubai and London, expecting their busiest 24 hours in history.
  • Options
    EPG said:

SPML said:

Chameleon said:

How does "I reckon" turn into a "factual report"? Be careful betting on this one, kids.
    My factual reports are on travel disruption not voting.

• Options
    timmo said:

First post here....

I would have thought that was just precautionary to prevent the bank getting had over in the case of an illiquid mkt
    Ahhh....thanks....it is a UAE bank and I suppose they are very risk adverse, just thought a little strange as I can imagine many transactions taking place as banks here close on a Friday and Saturday.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Probably because he is enjoying his TV career which doubtless also pays more and which he doesn't therefore wish to jeopardise by becoming too political.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    THe private polls being carried out at polling stations clearly do not cover postal votes.this would not matter if voting patterns for postal were the same.However since most postal votes were sent off when the leave lead peaked this is not the case.Demographicaly leave is likely to veer to leave..thus leave may enter polling day with possibly a lead of a million votes.any comments on the likely proportion of postal votes and which campaign has done best on postal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

If london is so gilded how come they are still struggling with early twentieth century d.c. third rail electrification systems and signalling that pre dates world war 2 while you have nice new signalling and overhead 25kV electrification in Glasgow?
    All been spent on swanky wine bars :D
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited June 2016

Still reckon the bet combination I identified earlier on Betfair has value, although the odds aren't nearly as good as earlier. Now I'd recommend something like £5 on Remain > 52.5% @ 1.45 for every £15 on Remain < 56.5% @ 1.31. Together for a stake of £20 these return £6.90 profit (35%) for a Remain score between 52.5%-56.5%, which covers what appears to be the mainline expectation right now, hedges a better than expected Leave result with a loss of 35p (<2% of the stake - so essentially break even) if Remain doesn't reach 52.5%, with the downside being a loss of £12.75 (65% of the stake) if Remain beats 56.5%. Unless you expect a stompingly unexpected Remain walkover I would say this was good value.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @RochdalePioneers

'One polling station when asked how it compares to a General Election - " we had more through the door by 12 than we had all day last year".

Very similar experience in my local polling station, at 11.30 it was a struggle to get my ballot into the box. However, as it's Beckenham it may well be good for Remain !
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

In Indyref, on the day of voting, there were lots of rumours of massively increased turnout in areas like Muirhouse in Edinburgh. This implied a "Yes," vote but obviously it wasn't enough. If I remember it was 30% turnout by 10am, when GE turnout would be around 25% for the whole day.

Indeed, turnout is always well under 50% until at least 7pm when the rush starts
    The Leave excitement and these reports reminds me of Yes at Indyref, before the first results came in.

Was in Glasgow 17/18 Sep 2014. Best political experience of my life. This EURef campaign has got nowhere close to that in terms of engagement and good humour.
  • Options

Well I'm back from Chiddingly in the beautiful Wealden. The ladies on the desk had nearly ticked off all their names. Very high turnout - in their words. Reflected on that thought as I drove past the sign indicating the twinning with Lachappelle in France.

Isn't everywhere these days got one of those twinning arrangements....seen some places where the sign telling you all the names takes longer to read than driving through the town.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Yep, we need a shake up. Have no faith that we'll get one though. Looks like a comfortable night for REMAIN.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

So Glasgow trains good London bad?
  • Options

(**) Fnarr

Josias - it's been good to see you back in force today. Should you decide to revert to lurking in the main, do please continue to post as and when the mood takes you - your presence adds considerably to the richness of this site.
    Thanks. That means alot. However I'm still far from right in the head (insert obvious joke) and posting as well as looking after the little 'un is taking a fair bit of effort.

In detail:
    I had another case of suspected meningitis a fortnight ago which, apparently, should not happen as this variant is non-recurring. One theory is that I never actually got over it in the first place, which would explain the continuous headaches and other problems.

Yet apparently that doesn't happen with this 'type' of meningitis.

Perhaps I'm just odd. ;)

On the positive side, I have seen the inside of an MRI machine, which was a fascinating experience.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

My dad just called me - he says there are reports of a train being hit by lightning (near St Albans?). Presumably there's no danger to life in that case? I assume it's like being in a car.
    That would account for the report about power supply failure between Elstree and St Albans.

Everyone inside should be safe because a train is basically a faraday cage but they now have a train with all itsw electrics blown and a fused power supply system which means the Midland Main line will now be at a stand which means in practical terms that if OGH has gone to London for the day and planned to vote when he got back he may well be disappointed.

Open Train times is also showing "LAND SLIP BLOK" on the up slow north of St Albans and another landslip south of st albans with everything at a stand either side of st Albans

This is the worst day of disruption for years - certainly outside winter snowstorms.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    Just voted out in slough (6.45pm), according to the people there turnout is steady but below 2015 ge levels
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

Should be a Faraday Cage - so yep - the charge just flows round it and up into the cloud.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895
    Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

I'm painfully aware of this. Up until a few days ago I've never thought that Leave could actually win, and tbh I'm still semi prepared for a strong remain result. However I'd wager a bit that as if 50 mins ago Leave were in the lead.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Haven't you heard it's grim down south, but the rest of the country is in a bubble so they don't know about these things.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

now you are splitting hairs, we have one new signal box
  • Options

Still at the polling station. Quite a few passionate Leavers showing me their pens as they go in.

Are they saying "Show me yours and I'll show you mine"?

As a matter of interest why would they show you their pens ..... very strange!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779

(**) Fnarr

Leave is the interesting result because you try to work out how it will pan out. Having researched the likely options, which are a Korean style FTA or EEA membership, and factor in a period of significant economic and political turmoil, which will feed of reach other, I am confident that those options are considerably worse than what we have already while bringing no practical upside. Yet curiously won't be a disaster because we will adapt to the new reality.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

All been spent on swanky wine bars :D
    yes and shysters pockets, double spin and through the laundry
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

Worried the powers that be might try and change their vote (if they use pencil)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Isn't everywhere these days got one of those twinning arrangements....seen some places where the sign telling you all the names takes longer to read than driving through the town.
    Yep - and the people probably weren't consulted - just an excuse for the councillors of both to enjoy a couple of nights enjoying the high-life.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:
    Great for democracy, I'd love to see a turnout as high as Indyref. Might be strong for Leave?
  • Options

If it is going to rain, pen is a bigger risk.
  • Options

They would need more rubbers than in a Bangkok brothel for that..
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Yep, we need a shake up. Have no faith that we'll get one though. Looks like a comfortable night for REMAIN.
    Don't give up hope yet GIN, worst case Cameron will get his just rewards and his odious henchman along with him.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Cookie said:

Many of us are reporting busier than usual polling stations - but I suspect the vast majority of us are doing so from fairly middle class areas. Does this high turnout translate to working class areas?

Relative lives on a big council estate on the outskirts of Salisbury. Spoke on the phone just now. Own polling station was very busy this morning. In the afternoon, went to a meeting at the local church where there's another polling station - that was very busy too.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The pen is mightier than the fraud.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    currystar said:

I think people are quite honest about their bets, and those bets' fate.

As I recall things (so unlikely to be true) I've only ever recommended one bet here, and it was that Vince was toast. However if all the bets I recollect were my only bets then I'd be very rich indeed, and checking my bank balance suggests otherwise.

PB is about politics more than money. I don't believe that there is a more astute community out there as regards to British politics.

PB makes you think.

• Options
    Just Voted in a solid WWC area of Barnsley they expect around 80% . Black pens along with the pencils were provided :-)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

It's much more that just one signal box:
    http://www.egip.info/

As an aside, ISTR BR worked out in the 1980s that the entire rail network could be controlled from just four massive signal boxes. They chose not to start down that route for various reasons. I've always wondered why it couldn't just be one: the speed of light is too slow, perhaps?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    timmo said:

Voice of experience?
  • Options
    Off to vote after a light 2hr commute. Wondering if the polling station will be busier than May's Sussex PCC vote.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Just Voted in a solid WWC area of Barnsley they expect around 80% . Black pens along with the pencils were provided :-)

o_O!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    stodge said:

On a personal note, nice to see Tabman and Cicero posting today. From the mists of the early days of political betting, they have returned.

Welcome home, gents.

Tabman, Cicero, JosiasJessop (so sorry to hear of your illness- best wishes for a speedy recovery)- it is almost like the old gang is back.

• Options

timmo said:

Voice of experience?
    I always used my pen in a Bangkok brothel
  • Options

timmo said:

Voice of experience?
    I hear seanT has a deluxe loyalty card.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,437

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

That would account for the report about power supply failure between Elstree and St Albans.

Everyone inside should be safe because a train is basically a faraday cage but they now have a train with all itsw electrics blown and a fused power supply system which means the Midland Main line will now be at a stand which means in practical terms that if OGH has gone to London for the day and planned to vote when he got back he may well be disappointed.

Open Train times is also showing "LAND SLIP BLOK" on the up slow north of St Albans and another landslip south of st albans with everything at a stand either side of st Albans

This is the worst day of disruption for years - certainly outside winter snowstorms.
    Just arrived back to St. Albans from Blackfriars. Passed the landslide which was on the up slow just north of Radlett. Trains running on the other three lines.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

As an aside, ISTR BR worked out in the 1980s that the entire rail network could be controlled from just four massive signal boxes. They chose not to start down that route for various reasons. I've always wondered why it couldn't just be one: the speed of light is too slow, perhaps?
    Surely not the speed of light? I can ping my computer in San Francisco in ~150ms (which I think is the round trip time?)
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

pinkrose said:
    Great for democracy, I'd love to see a turnout as high as Indyref. Might be strong for Leave?
    32% postal vote is very good for Leave.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Twinned witn somewhere in Wales?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    weejonnie said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

Should be a Faraday Cage - so yep - the charge just flows round it and up into the cloud.
    He also reported very high turnout in his village near Buckingham.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

A relative of 57 years of age voted today for the third time in their life and went armed with a pen. Make of that what you will.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

Glad to hear you are recuperating Josias , but bit mean of you to point out my deliberate mistake. For sure if they had gone for one or four they would have been in London.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

currystar said:

PB is about politics more than money. I don't believe that there is a more astute community out there as regards to British politics.

PB makes you think.
    I would say the comments are well-read inside and outside politics, but (ironically) hardly astute in forecasting, say, GE 2015, Corbyn's election, or even the scale of Khan's election. Hands up who saw Corbyn. Not me.
This discussion has been closed.