Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tissue Price on why he thinks that Brexit has already happe

Comments

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    eek said:

midwinter said:

eek said:

Roger said:

The damage is done. Basing a campaign on an overtly racist premise doesn't mean everyone who supports LEAVE is a racist but it does mean they've been happy to give their support to a racist campaign.

We'll all know much more about our neigbours than we do at the moment and by the same token the rest of the world will know much more about us.

Calling someone who votes leave a racist I think says a lot more about you (intolerent, unable to be polite in civilised company) than it does about the person who voted leave..
    He's not calling Leave voter racists.
    To be blunt he is. Roger is telling people to vote Remain not because Remain have won the argument but because a few people campaigning for Leave have used racist arguments... And because one person used a racist argument the entire campaign is contaminated by it

Labour have spent decades saying you can't say that (insert statement) its racist. That cut down all argument discussion and police investigations into child abuse and rape in Rochdale and Bradford... I'm merely applying the same logic to Roger's utterly insane argument....

Is it racist to point out that non EU immigrants are discriminated against versus EU immigrants to this country?

Is it racist to want to extend the current immigration points system from non EU people to EU people as well?

Is it racist to want to restrict the number of immigrants?

If the answers are no, no and no, then what is racist about the LEAVE campaign?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    eek said:

midwinter said:

eek said:

Roger said:

The damage is done. Basing a campaign on an overtly racist premise doesn't mean everyone who supports LEAVE is a racist but it does mean they've been happy to give their support to a racist campaign.

We'll all know much more about our neigbours than we do at the moment and by the same token the rest of the world will know much more about us.

Calling someone who votes leave a racist I think says a lot more about you (intolerent, unable to be polite in civilised company) than it does about the person who voted leave..
    To be blunt he is. Roger is telling people to vote Remain not because Remain have won the argument but because a few people campaigning for Leave have used racist arguments... And because one person used a racist argument the entire campaign is contaminated by it

Labour have spent decades saying you can't say that (insert statement) its racist. That cut down all argument discussion and police investigations into child abuse and rape in Rochdale and Bradford... I'm merely applying the same logic to Roger's utterly insane argument....

Rotherham, not Bradford. (There was a case in Keighley, which is in Bradford District but neither the inhabitants of that town nor of the city that the district's named after are that keen on recognising the other).
  • Options
    Metcheck Weather Warning for S.E. England in particular:

Valid From
    Wed 22 Jun 2016 : 14:00 BST(In 2hrs)
    Valid Until
    Thu 23 Jun 2016 : 22:00 BST (34hrs remaining)

Weather Watch for Thunderstorms / Heavy Rain / Hail / Severe Wind Gusts

A plume of unstable, moist air moves Northeast from France later this evening and overnight. We are expecting thunderstorms to develop across France and the Channel this afternoon, however the primary risk comes later this evening and overnight when organised multi-cell structures will approach the South and Southeast coast of England.

These systems will have the potential for intense local rainfall (25-75mm) with flash flooding possible. Severe wind gusts are likely around the storms with gusts of 50-60mph possible for a time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Sandpit said:
    Will Festival goers have requested a postal vote or proxy vote if they were intending to travel there on Wednesday?

Tens of thousands of young people missing out on voting in the referendum?

Does this muddy the waters?
    I'm sure they've all arranged a proxy vote or have postally voted already.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Project terror will probably work in winning this for Remain, but those votes will come accompanied with resentment and won't endear a majority of people to the EU.

Personally I dont believe the polls - and looking at the Remain campaign, I am only reminded of the slightly desperate campaigns of Ed Miliband & the surreal comedy of Gordon Brown trying to get away from the Elvis impersonator.

That aside, I have no crystal ball and the polls are MoE 50/50. Betting odds dont reflect that and offer excellent value for the punter, all funded by large unexplained Remain bets.

Personally, I make no predictions, except the EU will fall and Cameron is finished with the Conservatives.
    Cameron's weird panic press conference and the impression he was losing told me it's uncomfortably close.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

nunu said:

Roger said:

If we vote Leave can you fuck off to France please? They are much more tolerant than us I guess.

Hopefully, this is not the country we will become once Leave have won.

A couple of my EU medical and nursing colleagues are becoming rather restless, all this hostility to EU migrants is making them fairly uncomfortable. One or two are talking about going back, or to Germany if we Leave.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    Contains leader ratings. Ipsos Mori

Brexit poll: Tories 'less united now than before start of EU referendum battle'

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-poll-tories-less-united-now-than-before-start-of-eu-referendum-battle-a3277846.html

Fieldwork a bit old
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    eek said:

midwinter said:

eek said:

Roger said:

You won't find me defending the politically correct attitude to racism that Labour have espoused. Where I do agree with Roger is that by basing their campaign almost entirely on immigration Leave have appealed to peoples basic instincts and prejudices. It's no surprise that Leaves support is largely made up of pensioners harking back to the halcyon days of yore, and lower educated groups who are looking to blame someone else for their misfortunes in life, but will in most cases end up in exactly the same place regardless of immigration levels.

If you lie down with dogs you catch fleas.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Brexit supporters more likely to doubt evolution and climate change.
    "And when it comes to a far more well-established scientific theory, evolution, Brexit supporters are even more sceptical. Nearly half of Leave voters agree that those who question evolution “have a point”."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-poll-tories-less-united-now-than-before-start-of-eu-referendum-battle-a3277846.html

Fieldwork a bit old

I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

John Major today accused Brexiteers of being "gravediggers of prosperity"

Might just file that one away for a rainy day

The ERM Repossession PM.

LOL! I think we're all supposed to have forgotten about the events of September 1992...
    It's interesting that it's become linked with repossessions in folklore.

The house price crash following the Lawson boom happened well before Black Wednesday, and the immediate effect of leaving the ERM was a rapid drop in interest rates.
    True, Mr Glenn, the house price crash started in the autumn of 1988, I remember it well because I had to move for work and was trying to sell at the time (took me until 1991 to sell the place and then for 20% less than the 1988 valuation). The repossessions and negative equity pain really only kicked in after Major had become prime minister.

The UK being forced out of the ERM brought relief, but it was Major when chancellor that took us in and it was Major that tried to keep us in. The blame therefore can, I think, be laid at his door.
  • Options
    Just had my hair cut. All discussion of EU has been banned in my local barbers. There's been too many heated arguments in recent weeks.
  • Options
    This seems to resonate with the views of some REMAINers.

"Millionaire comic and achingly right-on Labour moderate Robert Webb has deleted this late-night tweet calling Leave voters “thick people”:
    Before clarifying that actually he was only calling half the Wembley audience “stupid“:"
    http://order-order.com/2016/06/22/luvvies-say-leavers-thick-idiots/
  • Options

Valid From
    Valid Until

A plume of unstable, moist air moves Northeast from France later this evening and overnight. We are expecting thunderstorms to develop across France and the Channel this afternoon, however the primary risk comes later this evening and overnight when organised multi-cell structures will approach the South and Southeast coast of England.

These systems will have the potential for intense local rainfall (25-75mm) with flash flooding possible. Severe wind gusts are likely around the storms with gusts of 50-60mph possible for a time.

Bad weather must favour "leave", they have the postal votes already IN. The runs on the board so to speak.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

welshowl said:

SPML said:

nunu said:

Roger said:

If we vote Leave can you fuck off to France please? They are much more tolerant than us I guess.
    Talking about France, have you seen operation croissant - how wonderful, offering help in our hour of darkness, the French (not sure TSE would agree...) bring lightness & love.
    What's operation croissant? Sounds a bit flakey to me.
    They are just trying to butter us up, because of the jam we are in.
    They want us to share their pain.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Fieldwork a bit old

In other news: Bear seen entering heavily forested area with perforated paper on a roll.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

There are far more ex-pats in non EU countries than EU countries.

Which way will the non EU ex pats vote in the referendum?

Channel Islands: 73,030

Germany: 96,938

France: 172,806

Ireland: 253,605

South Africa: 305,660

New Zealand: 313,850

Spain: 381,025

Canada: 674,371

United States of America: 758,919

Australia: 1,277,474

Wow so over five and a half times the number in English speaking countries (or very predominantly - Canada or quasi S Africa) compared to Europe. The Anglosphere gets the votes with feet attached doesn't it?

Not including the Channel Islands, it looks like a toss of the coin between Ireland and NZ for most Brits as a percentage of the overall population.

Out of interest, what are so many Brits doing in Ireland? Is it joint passport-holding folk from the north? I'd be surprised if it was a whole host of people from England, Wales and Scotland.

Germany isn't particularly popular, is it?

Don't know why. I quite like Germany.
    Actually that list is very revealing. Spain and France are probably retirees for the most part (of course there will be workers/marriages too) but you suspect the Anglosphere is a much younger demographic overall and is more a "heart" decision of "where do I want to spend my life?". Part of the EU's continuing issue with the Brits and one which isn't going anywhere on Friday whatever the outcome, is that the answer to that question is never "Duesseldorf".
    Or it's just about the weather.
    Wouldn't deny that. I reckon magically making every day 5C warmer than last year's equivalent date would probably do more for national feel good factor than anything else. Funny thing is if you compare London and Melbourne's climate (rain fall is very similar) that's not far off.
    If you compare Newcastle and London, the difference is about the same.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Valid From
    Valid Until

I'm hoping for some strong differential turnout.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965

nunu said:

Roger said:

A couple of my EU medical and nursing colleagues are becoming rather restless, all this hostility to EU migrants is making them fairly uncomfortable. One or two are talking about going back, or to Germany if we Leave.

Yep, one of my business partners has a Czech wife. She has been in tears over it and I think it's likely they'll leave the UK relatively soon. It's not been discussed, but he'll be able to run the EU office we are thinking about setting up. This will provide job opportunities that would have been available in London had we stayed in the single market.

• Options

Pulpstar said:
    At the risk of seeming really stupid could someone provide a quick summary, I think I get it but I am not sure !!
    Thank you
    The column to focus on is the "Gap" which is Hanretty's estimate of the lead Remain will have in each local authority, if the overall result is a tie.

It's a bit confusing that he hasn't stripped out don't knows; I asked him on Twitter how he'd apportion them and he said 50-50 so the gaps should stay fairly similar (actually a slight trending towards 0).
    Thank you,
    Like others I was struggling with the DK and the spread.

Out of interest whats your take on this-he has clearly done a lot of work and kudos for sharing it but I am not convinced I would use it on the night for betting purposes.
  • Options

Cameron, Brown, Blair, Major, all lining up against the UK and for the EU.

It shows clearly how poorly we have been served since Thatcher left. Even pre-Labour PMs cared about Britain and her people.

It shows clearly how poorly we have been served since Thatcher left. Even pre-Blair Labour PMs cared about Britain and her people.

Hopefully this is not the country we will become when Leave has won, part two.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Polruan said:

welshowl said:

SPML said:

nunu said:

Roger said:

Talking about France, have you seen operation croissant - how wonderful, offering help in our hour of darkness, the French (not sure TSE would agree...) bring lightness & love.
    What's operation croissant? Sounds a bit flakey to me.
    They are just trying to butter us up, because of the jam we are in.
    They want us to share their pain.
    Tres bien. The Juncker prize for multilingual Euro punning is yours.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2016
    If I'm right in the outcome, who will the leavers 'dump' the most blame on for their being robbed of righteous victory?

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:
    Will Festival goers have requested a postal vote or proxy vote if they were intending to travel there on Wednesday?

Tens of thousands of young people missing out on voting in the referendum?

Does this muddy the waters?
    I'm sure they've all arranged a proxy vote or have postally voted already.
    Most people will be travelling Thursday. And will therefore vote before they go, if it was on their agenda to do so.
  • Options

Roger said:

Guilt by association? Well by that measure who are REMAINers associating with according to Roger's rule?
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1321570/jihadist-preacher-anjem-choudary-backs-remain-because-eu-stops-unfair-deportations/
    Vote Leave fur ein Besser Meinhead. Jawohl.

PS- I am a Piccadilly Circus Leg Before Wicket Englishman and did not do war crimes
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

DavidL said:

Mr. L, who said that?

We were invaded in the early 13th century by the French, when we suffered the misrule of King John.

Our PM I am afraid to say. The French were also here in Scotland in the 1540s and then there was the Glorious Revolution and there were Viking invasions within the last 1000 years as well.
    Inexplicably you seem to have overlooked several invasions and occupations of Scotland.
    And visa versa of course.
  • Options

If I'm right in the outcome, who will the leavers 'dump' the most blame on for their being robbed of righteous victory?

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

Nigel Farage is a strong asset for "remain".
  • Options

It is an interesting tactic of REMAIN to have Cameron (net -26 rating) front their campaign and then push Farage to the front as the bogeyman, when Farage's ratings are at a net -6, so much better than Cameron.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I don't think Roger is intolerant, he just needs a safe space and a no platform policy for arguments he doesn't agree with.

It makes sense to some of the young.
  • Options
    JessieShamusJessieShamus Posts: 70
    edited June 2016

Yep, one of my business partners has a Czech wife. She has been in tears over it and I think it's likely they'll leave the UK relatively soon. It's not been discussed, but he'll be able to run the EU office we are thinking about setting up. This will provide job opportunities that would have been available in London had we stayed in the single market.

Not sure why they should take it personally. Don't they want British to live in a democracy.

ps, a foreign wife like a professional is 'invited', bit like someone in your own home. It is the uninvited and the idiots holding the door open for anyone off the street that are the issue. It is probably healthy for people to remember that the house has residents.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    welshowl said:

Fieldwork a bit old

In other news: Bear seen entering heavily forested area with perforated paper on a roll.
    Meanwhile the Pope confirms rumours that he is in fact a Catholic.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2016

Cameron, Brown, Blair, Major, all lining up against the UK and for the EU.

It shows clearly how poorly we have been served since Thatcher left. Even pre-Labour PMs cared about Britain and her people.

It shows clearly how poorly we have been served since Thatcher left. Even pre-Blair Labour PMs cared about Britain and her people.

Hopefully this is not the country we will become when Leave has won, part two.

Yes, the frequently-seen Leaver view that those who disagree with them on the balance of the arguments 'don't care about Britain' is quite remarkably distasteful, as well as being self-evidently bonkers.
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

The voters.
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

I trust Dr Sox that, if only in the interest of your patients, your are explaining to these restless colleagues that there is a difference between wishing to be able to control immigration and feelings towards individual immigrants.

Just out of interest, have any of your colleagues personally suffered from any expression of ill feeling because of their nation of origin?
  • Options

It is an interesting tactic of REMAIN to have Cameron (net -26 rating) front their campaign and then push Farage to the front as the bogeyman, when Farage's ratings are at a net -6, so much better than Cameron.
    George Osborne has been strangely absent for the last few days...
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

Not sure why they should take it personally. Don't they want British to live in a democracy.

ps, a foreign wife like a professional is 'invited', bit like someone in your own home. It is the uninvited and the idiots holding the door open that are the issue.

They see the posters, read the articles and hear the arguments: they are not welcome, they are not making a contribution, they are causing hardship and poverty. We are at "Breaking Point".

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

nunu said:

Roger said:

Give over. Leavers aren't demagogues. She'd be welcome to stay, as would future EU nationals, just not in unlimited numbers.

We have to balance population growth and expansion with planning for infrastructure and maintaining good community cohesion.
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

Cameron, of course. The whole thing is his fault for agreeing to their demands for a referendum, natch.
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

The voters.
    That would be both novel and brave
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    MTimT said:

Roger said:

As I said yesterday, this is about the most stupid meme in existence. If all ideas espoused by any evil or nasty person were to become untouchable by association, it would not be acceptable to hold any decent or good idea. It is a world in which, essentially, no idea is acceptable.

So, because a racist person gives money to St Jude's, we are all supposed to stop giving money to St Jude's ...

Roger, you are capable of thinking, so think.
    I'm talking about THE CAMPAIGN The banner behind which ALL leavers are marching. If you you can't understand the difference between A CAMPAIGN and a few isolated people with disparate views then it's not me who has comprehension problems
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

Why do you think I'm fleeing the country if Remain wins.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

nunu said:

Roger said:

ps, a foreign wife like a professional is 'invited', bit like someone in your own home. It is the uninvited and the idiots holding the door open that are the issue.

The problem is that this referendum has exposed a rather nasty side of the British general public, which FPTP usually does a good job of hiding.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Contingency planning.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

Cameron, of course. The whole thing is his fault for agreeing to their demands for a referendum, natch.
    But Richard, many kippers assured us on a 'mensch' volume of effort pre-GE 2015 not least here on jolly old PB that cast iron Dave could never be trusted to deliver a referendum and never would.
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

Give over. Leavers aren't demagogues. She'd be welcome to stay, as would future EU nationals, just not in unlimited numbers.

We have to balance population growth and expansion with planning for infrastructure and maintaining good community cohesion.

Of course, she would be welcome to stay. She's married to a high income Brit for a start. But her feeling - whether right or wrong - is that this is not the country she thought it was. I can't second guess that, I can only report it.

• Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

I've also heard of EU nationals who will leave on a Leave vote. They don't want to stay in a place that clearly doesn't want them. How real these thoughts are we will see.
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

That could swing it for us!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

But Richard, many kippers assured us on a 'mensch' volume of effort pre-GE 2015 not least here on jolly old PB that cast iron Dave could never be trusted to deliver a referendum and never would.

Yes, but they all ran away when I offered to give them £1000 if they were right. I never did understand why, given the certainty with which they expressed the view that Cameron could not be trusted.
  • Options

The problem is that this referendum has exposed a rather nasty side of the British general public, which FPTP usually does a good job of hiding.

No, the British are not nasty. They are very tolerant. That is why people come here.

However, when it comes to explaining that hey, you are actually in my house, and I want it back, it may be a little awkward. We are not a doormat.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

After a breakfast meeting, I have scrolled back on this article's comments for two hours worth and not noticed much, if any response from REMAIN people to disagree with Tissue Price's article and to explain why. I may have missed some fundamental points from REMAIN supporters so could they please recap their contrary view or do they all agree with TP?

.....Tissue Price is probably right...the EU will unravel in due course......"
    And my reply was that, even if he is right, these things typically play out over a much longer timescale than the doom-mongers predict. This may therefore be an issue for the younger generation rather than ours...
    Ian B2 and Tyson. Thank you for your views. Ian B2 - I agree that it is difficult to predict when the EU unravels. Tyson - history in the form of leaving the ERM and staying out of the euro shows that the markets did not punish us - they actually rewarded us through higher growth (than the ERM/Eurozone).

Which does lead to the question of why go now? I believe that we would get a first country benefit in realigning ourselves to the realities of the global world than this illusion of a protected trade block with its burdensome overheads. It takes time to change and my experience in companies and change, is that the company that makes changes with an eye to improving its competitiveness at its own pace, rather than having to violently respond to outside forces, will emerge healthier and have a better chance of survival.
    Trouble is, economically and especially politically, there is a huge difference between actively making something happen, and responding to events. The political and economic/financial climate, both here and in Europe, remain immensely fragile - far more so than most people realise, since in the absence of dramatic events the person in the street thinks the 2008 problems have largely gone away - whereas the sad truth is that next to nothing has actually changed, and some things are actually worse.

Even a vote for Brexit could easily turn out to be the first domino....
    I would of course agree that the picture is fragile. An organisation that allows problems to fester and pile up sows the seeds of its eventual demise. I prefer an organisation taking some prudent actions to tackle its problems even if its just one problem fixed at a time. For the EU the fundamental problems are just kicked into the long grass and they hope something turns up to fix it.
    Thank God that our own government has a long-term economic plan ....
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited June 2016

nunu said:

Roger said:

In what way do law-abiding, hard-working people who speak good English threaten community cohesion? What are you saying to them when you imply that they do?
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

Of course, she would be welcome to stay. She's married to a high income Brit for a start. But her feeling - whether right or wrong - is that this is not the country she thought it was. I can't second guess that, I can only report it.

That's simply nonsense. We're a great country.

My wife is a dual-national Bulgarian and is voting Leave. She was convinced by the democratic arguments.
  • Options

They see the posters, read the articles and hear the arguments: they are not welcome, they are not making a contribution, they are causing hardship and poverty. We are at "Breaking Point".

Surely they see the difference between the invited and the uninvited, and the millions of uninvited waiting?

Perhaps they should see the valid concerns of the locals. If I were in their house, I would respect them, their house and their concerns. Just common courtesy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Having threatened to increase taxes and cut spending if we voted to LEAVE, Osborne has been shut up in a cupboard by the REMAIN campaign.
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

I'm hoping Roy Hodgson comes out for Leave today.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

nunu said:

Roger said:

In what way do law-abiding, hard-working people who speak good English threaten community cohesion? What are saying to them when you imply that they do?
    Don't be a dick. I haven't implied they do.

There is simply a rate at which new migrants can be accepted, adopted and assimilated into the community, making it cohensive and welcoming, and one where, if too high and too fast, it can lead to division and it polarising.

This is simply common sense. But neither side seems to make any effort to understand the other on immigration.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

nunu said:

Roger said:

I trust Dr Sox that, if only in the interest of your patients, your are explaining to these restless colleagues that there is a difference between wishing to be able to control immigration and feelings towards individual immigrants.

Just out of interest, have any of your colleagues personally suffered from any expression of ill feeling because of their nation of origin?
    No, no one has to my knowledge had any personal abuse. They are simply getting the feeling that they are unwanted. Most come for a couple of years with the idea of returning. That has long been the case with other migrants, and peoples plans then develop. Before they know it they have been here for decades.

What is happening is that they are reverting to their original plans.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He finally read about his own 2% polling ratings?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Contingency planning.
    ..... you mean job interviews?
  • Options

Surely they see the difference between the invited and the uninvited, and the millions of uninvited waiting?

Perhaps they should see the valid concerns of the locals. If I were in their house, I would respect them, their house and their concerns. Just common courtesy.

Of course. That's why they are likely to go. They don't want to be in the house anymore. They won't make a big fuss about it, they'll just up sticks. And for our business it will probably work out pretty well.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Pulpstar said:
    At the risk of seeming really stupid could someone provide a quick summary, I think I get it but I am not sure !!
    Thank you
    The column to focus on is the "Gap" which is Hanretty's estimate of the lead Remain will have in each local authority, if the overall result is a tie.

It's a bit confusing that he hasn't stripped out don't knows; I asked him on Twitter how he'd apportion them and he said 50-50 so the gaps should stay fairly similar (actually a slight trending towards 0).
    Thank you,

Out of interest whats your take on this-he has clearly done a lot of work and kudos for sharing it but I am not convinced I would use it on the night for betting purposes.
    I'll be trading the referendum all night. In lieu of anything else it's helpful, but it's important to recognise the big error bars. I've also seen specific authorities quoted by Curtice as a fair bit different. i.e. Remainians shouldn't despair if Sunderland is 56-44 Leave, and Leavers shouldn't panic if it's 50-50 (though both would rightly move the prices).
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

Hodgson wants to REMAIN in the EU.
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

His tactics would imply otherwise
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

He certainly wants to stay in France a bit longer.
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

My wife is a dual-national Bulgarian and is voting Leave. She was convinced by the democratic arguments.

As we know, different people react in different ways. I am sure there are plenty of EU nationals who are not at all worried by the Leave campaign or upset by it. Others are. I was merely reporting one such case. Dr Fox was reporting another.

• Options
    ReestevReestev Posts: 10
    Just received the expected must vote remain blurb from our CEO. Having discussed this with 10/11 other employees all except one found this unacceptable and will be voting Leave, most probably were in fairness.
    I wonder what difference, if any, these types of communication from the hierachy have on normal, everyday, hard working people?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Thank you

Thank you,

I'll be trading the referendum all night. In lieu of anything else it's helpful, but it's important to recognise the big error bars. I've also seen specific authorities quoted by Curtice as a fair bit different. i.e. Remainians shouldn't despair if Sunderland is 56-44 Leave, and Leavers shouldn't panic if it's 50-50 (though both would rightly move the prices).
    I hope we can all agree we'll be glad when this is over.

This campaign has gone on far, far too long.
  • Options

I'd imagine that Cameron compares favourably to Farage to most sane people. Plus Big Nige doesn't do that well in elections does he?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Contingency planning.
    ..... you mean job interviews?
    Osborne was in Notts yesterday. Local newspaper covered it and probably TV news (didn't see that myself).
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

thomas mair I believe.

The awful murder of Jo Cox took the wind out of Leave's sails.
  • Options
    Reestev said:

Just received the expected must vote remain blurb from our CEO. Having discussed this with 10/11 other employees all except one found this unacceptable and will be voting Leave, most probably were in fairness.
    I wonder what difference, if any, these types of communication from the hierachy have on normal, everyday, hard working people?

No missives at my (small) work

DLA Piper have sent a missive telling their employees that they can rearrange stuffs if needed in order to vote. No instructions.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

I'd imagine that Cameron compares favourably to Farage to most sane people. Plus Big Nige doesn't do that well in elections does he?
    Are you joining the folk smearing LEAVErs as thick and insane?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Pulpstar said:
    Thank you

Thank you,

God knows how Scotland coped.
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

Speaking of which, I've backed Eddie Howe to get his job at odds of 12/1. Just worried that he may be a tad young however - he's only 38 - that said there aren't that many suitably impressive British candidates
  • Options
    Reestev said:

Often gets their backs up if they are urged to do something. Far better to praise and thank them and explain what is happening.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

UKIP won the last elections for the European parliament.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DLA Piper have sent a missive telling their employees that they can rearrange stuffs if needed in order to vote. No instructions.

For lawyers, it's a 'Heads we win, Tails you lose' referendum!
  • Options

The EU?
    Cammo?
    Osborne?
    Boris?
    Establishment?
    Goldman Sachs?
    TSE & OGH?
    BBC?

or

Nigel?

Hodgson would say he wants to WEMAIN.
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

As we know, different people react in different ways. I am sure there are plenty of EU nationals who are not at all worried by the Leave campaign or upset by it. Others are. I was merely reporting one such case. Dr Fox was reporting another.

And I'm upset at Remain supporters constantly casting doubt on my common decency and basic humanity simply for wanting the UK to be a self-governing liberal democracy, and a different future for Europe.

Maybe I was naive in thinking this campaign wouldn't get so bitter and nasty.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited June 2016
    Roger said:

MTimT said:

Roger said:

As I said yesterday, this is about the most stupid meme in existence. If all ideas espoused by any evil or nasty person were to become untouchable by association, it would not be acceptable to hold any decent or good idea. It is a world in which, essentially, no idea is acceptable.

So, because a racist person gives money to St Jude's, we are all supposed to stop giving money to St Jude's ...

Roger, you are capable of thinking, so think.
    I'm talking about THE CAMPAIGN The banner behind which ALL leavers are marching. If you you can't understand the difference between A CAMPAIGN and a few isolated people with disparate views then it's not me who has comprehension problems
    Not all people with a view march under the banner. What is your comprehension problem with that?

Because Jimmy Saville runs A CAMPAIGN for Stoke Mandeville, if I give money, which I would have done totally separately from THE CAMPAIGN, I am condoning child sexual molestation?

Even you can see how stupid that position is.

PS Perhaps you are also saying that, because the Borgias were Popes, all Catholics are tarred with their crimes? And perhaps more pertinently to you personally, because you supported Labour and help elect in Tony Blair, you are responsible for the Iraq War.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

nunu said:

Roger said:

No, no one has to my knowledge had any personal abuse. They are simply getting the feeling that they are unwanted. Most come for a couple of years with the idea of returning. That has long been the case with other migrants, and peoples plans then develop. Before they know it they have been here for decades.

Pah! I think its like those people who say they will leave the country if the Tories win/of Labour win. They never do.

Useless anecdote of the day: Saw a 2-man BSE stall in Sevenoaks this morning. As I rushed past (car-park ticket about to expire), noticed they were being harangued by a woman who I would imagine to be Dutch (judging by her accent), who was talking animatedly about the misery the EU had caused in Southern Europe.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

nunu said:

Roger said:

In what way do law-abiding, hard-working people who speak good English threaten community cohesion? What are saying to them when you imply that they do?
    Don't be a dick. I haven't implied they do.

There is simply a rate at which new migrants can be accepted, adopted and assimilated into the community, making it cohensive and welcoming, and one where, if too high and too fast, it can lead to division and it polarising.

This is simply common sense. But neither side seems to make any effort to understand the other on immigration.
    You're implying that more than a certain (presumably low) number of French, German, Polish etc immigrants will damage community cohesion. Yet these are fellow Europeans, extremely similar to Britons culturally. What assimilation is needed?
  • Options

Of course. That's why they are likely to go. They don't want to be in the house anymore. They won't make a big fuss about it, they'll just up sticks. And for our business it will probably work out pretty well.

That works out well then. And UK will need to train locals rather than poach from abroad.

BTW, foreign wives seem to be popular in the Brexit camp. Farage did it. Gisela Stuart settled also.
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

Thanks for that, Doc. I am somewhat reassured. People deciding that it is time to return home is a different cauldron of octopus from someone being driven out because of personal threats.

I have made that decision to come home three times and I think you too have lived and worked abroad and also returned. The reason we make those decisions are many, varied and personal.
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

Mine also comes from an EU country and is voting LEAVE. She cannot believe the stuff coming out from Cameron. For myself having lived and worked in many countries I am for LEAVE.
  • Options
    Reestev said:

Perhaps cynically, I'd suggest they a) show shareholders the CEO is *doing something*, and b) let the company say "we told you so" in the case of any post-Brexit recession induced redundancies.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Roger said:

Guilt by association? Well by that measure who are REMAINers associating with according to Roger's rule?
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1321570/jihadist-preacher-anjem-choudary-backs-remain-because-eu-stops-unfair-deportations/
    Vote Leave fur ein Besser Meinhead. Jawohl.

PS- I am a Piccadilly Circus Leg Before Wicket Englishman and did not do war crimes

I don't like the sound of these 'ere boncentration bamps.
  • Options

midwinter said:

UKIP won the last elections for the European parliament.
    On a turnout of 35 percent. Many of whom were highly motivated Kippers.

How did he get on in Thanet or Buckingham or Bromley?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Thank you

Thank you,

Im hoping Sunderland will be at least 60-40 leave otherwise I might get tempted not to go to bed and waste an hour and a half listening to windbag punditry before falling asleep on the sofa 10 mins before the next result gets announced
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Anecdore alert.

Chatting last night to my IoW aunt about summer holiday plans. She has to the best of my knowledge never left the UK, C1 turned housewife turned granny turned widow. Voting Remain - because that is what her husband would have wanted. Remain win Wight from beyond the grave...

IoW will be at least 60% Leave IMHO.
    Jesting aside, I think the Caulkheads and Overners will both go for Leave. Wight is my tip for highest Leave vote in the Ladbrokes market. The age, SE class and occupational pointers are all heavily for Leave.

On the other hand my Aunt is very capable of persuasion, and a very social pillar of the community.
    My money would be on somewhere in Lincolnshire, probably Boston. The tourist trade and trend to retire there give the IOW a bit more of a mixed make-up than is my impression of the Lincs coast. Plus the island hasn't really had significant EU immigration and isn't likely to get any.
    I know the IoW fairly well. There are some wealthy retirees in Bembridge, Seaview and Yarmouth but these are far outweighed by low income retirees from more working class backgrounds in London or the Midlands. What little work there is for locals is low income and largely low skill in the tourist, agricultural and nursing home sectors. The maritime industries tend to be pro-Leave too. There are some commuters to the mainland but mostly because it is far cheaper than Hampshire. East Wight is particularly popular with retired matelots from Portsmouth. Islanders are particularly insular and do not like change.

It is the perfect storm for A high Leave vote.
    The Bristol/YouGov analysis had the most leave areas as South Staffs/Havering/north Kent/Lincs/Mansfield/coastal Essex. So I hope you got good odds on the IOW!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Well, IDS appears to have gone "all in"
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

midwinter said:

Are you joining the folk smearing LEAVErs as thick and insane?
    I thought Nigels speech today was very robust, balanced and made the point which has not been debated as much in this referendum with the focus just being on economy and immigration, that the EU was mis-sold as a trading block but is really a project to create one state called Europe with one flag, one anthem, one army, one president, one currency, one set of laws, one people and little democracy. We have to choose which flag we want over us,
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

Pulpstar said:
    Thank you

Thank you,

I don't think it has been long enough. Seriously. It has felt very rushed to me. Of course, we all know all why it has been rushed, which makes it even more frustrating.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kjohnw said:

We have to choose which flag we want over us,

I saw that and thought "what an arse"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,518

ORB have issued a note saying the figure they wished to be judged on is

Remain 54%

Leave 46%

http://opinion.co.uk/perch/resources/finalpollanalysisv2.pdf

Where do discredited opinion pollsters go to die? Is it the Angus Reid graveyard?

The CreMORItorium

*gets coat*
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited June 2016
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

If I saw my vote as an endorsement of a campaign I would not vote. I expected better from the Remain campaign than the "don't be silly, nanny knows best" or "be afraid" arguments. Totally off-putting.

It can be nothing else. If Marine Le Pen and the National Front win in France the image of France abroad and at home will change radically overnight whatever the motivation of the voters.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Reestev said:

I fear the risk is that employees look at the endemic shiteness of senior corporate management and ask themselves why they should trust management on this....
  • Options

nunu said:

Roger said:

And I'm upset at Remain supporters constantly casting doubt on my common decency and basic humanity simply for wanting the UK to be a self-governing liberal democracy, and a different future for Europe.

Maybe I was naive in thinking this campaign wouldn't get so bitter and nasty.

I think we were all naïve about that.

This discussion has been closed.