Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

BBC 10 pm news leading with witness saying he shouted 'Britain First'

Even if I thought this guy was 100% motivated by Brexit [entirely unproved at the moment] and had no mental issues [they are highly suggested at the moment], why would that change my, or anyone's, vote?

I believe a Leave vote would reduce such tensions on all sides, which is just another good reason to make sure I vote for it.

The EU is unaccountable, irreformable, has lost control, and has the smell of death about it.

We don't need a bail-out, but it's certainly time for our bale-out...
    Yep the right time to employ hyperbole that the EU has the smell of death about it.
    ...migrant hordes terrorizing their way into the Continent by sheer force of numbers, murderous terrorists roaming and killing freely around European capitals, countless corpses of criminal so-called asylum-seekers washing up on European shores...

All is well. Situation normal. The EU project goes from strength to strength...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

I'd often wondered about victim impact statements in the event of a murder.

What if no one liked the victim? What if they were a dull... of no discernible merit?

What if there is no one to speak for them? Still a tragedy in my view.
    Exactly. And they are a fraud on the family. Because the sentence the judge has to pass is not affected by the statement. It's a bit of therapy for the family. And colour me callous if you will. But the courts are not the place for family therapy.

What people want is justice: for the guilty to be caught and punished. For the existence of the victim as a person to be acknowledged. And there should be other agencies to help families through their grief. Lawyers emoting in court adds nothing. Emoting is not real emotion. It is not even normal human sympathy and understanding. It's a bit of empty narcissistic play-acting.
    Don't get me started on barristers in court emoting.

I hear of them describing how dastardly a crime was etc etc in opening speeches but can't help but thinking.. Who cares? What links the accused to the crime? They are no more or less guilty, and the only person interested in how evil the crime was should be the judge when it comes to sentencing. It is irrelevant to the question of guilt.
    That's for the jury. The opening speech helps frame the narrative for what they will hear from the witnesses. It's like the outline which the barrister hopes the witnesses will colour in. If the jury heard just from the witnesses it would be one big mess. Getting the balance right is a real art form because there will some on the jury thinking like you and others who react differently. That's why you will see good barristers even when they're making their speech looking carefully at the jury and how they're reacting and reacting and adapting what they say and how they say it to the reaction.

There is always a two-way element to any good performance like that, be it jury speech or training speech or any other sort of speech. The dull ones are where the speaker pays no attention to the audience, could be speaking to a piece of cheese in fact.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    I assume the by election is still taking place? Any reports from on the ground now the polling stations have closed?
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Tragic news about Jo Cox and shows not even our gun laws are infallible. As for the referendum it will inevitably stop the Leave momentum dead, not that that should be a major consideration today and with a week to go until polling day campaigning will halt until at least the weekend

Might have helped them a bit by killing the coverage of the Farage advert this morning - felt like it could have gone too far. On the other hand it could give Remain an opportunity to recalibrate their campaign a bit and soften it slightly.
    Both sides will soften their campaigns but I cannot see Leave winning now, their momentum has gone and the killer will be seen to have supported their campaign, however unfairly
    Thats a bit silly. Millions have voted by post and millions of others are not going to suddenly change their minds due to one incident however awful.

I predict that - come the polls on Monday morning - we'll see Lead with leads of oooh... about 6%.
    Why are you so confident of that?

The evidence on here is that some firm Leavers bottle it when they think Leave might win.

And those are the ones that admit to feeling like that.
    We aren't representative of the voters.
    I think it applies to professional ABs in London and the South East.

If a few hundred thousand bottle it, we lose.
    This group is largely REMAIN anyway. What has turned the referendum is that immigration has connected as the most salient issue with WWC in the North and Midlands.
    Not in my area they aren't (Mid Sussex/East Surrey), to my surprise. Despite the significant wealth in the area. Leave posters all over the place, nothing for Remain and hardly a good word for them from anyone.

Though it seems a minority view on here I think I agree with HYUFD that this will probably stop the Leave bandwagon dead in its tracks and Remain will most likely limp over the line. If only because it will force Leave to heavily ease off on the immigration rhetoric. The luckiest politician of our times, David Cameron, may well snatch victory from the jaws of defeat yet again.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

view.

I hear of them describing how dastardly a crime was etc etc in opening speeches but can't help but thinking.. Who cares? What links the accused to the crime? They are no more or less guilty, and the only person interested in how evil the crime was should be the judge when it comes to sentencing. It is irrelevant to the question of guilt.
    That's for the jury. The opening speech helps frame the narrative for what they will hear from the witnesses. It's like the outline which the barrister hopes the witnesses will colour in. If the jury heard just from the witnesses it would be one big mess. Getting the balance right is a real art form because there will some on the jury thinking like you and others who react differently. That's why you will see good barristers even when they're making their speech looking carefully at the jury and how they're reacting and reacting and adapting what they say and how they say it to the reaction.

There is always a two-way element to any good performance like that, be it jury speech or training speech or any other sort of speech. The dull ones are where the speaker pays no attention to the audience, could be speaking to a piece of cheese in fact.
    In Scotland we don't have opening speeches. We just get on with it after the indictment has been read. Doesn't seem to cause any problems.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

What if no one liked the victim? What if they were a dull... of no discernible merit?

Exactly. And they are a fraud on the family. Because the sentence the judge has to pass is not affected by the statement. It's a bit of therapy for the family. And colour me callous if you will. But the courts are not the place for family therapy.

What people want is justice: for the guilty to be caught and punished. For the existence of the victim as a person to be acknowledged. And there should be other agencies to help families through their grief. Lawyers emoting in court adds nothing. Emoting is not real emotion. It is not even normal human sympathy and understanding. It's a bit of empty narcissistic play-acting.

Seen too many legal dramas probably. I actually really like legal procedurals which, though of course they rely on the emotive appeal approach, have a lawyer pull off a slick point of law or interpretation to get their way.

I recall an episode of the Good Wife before I stopped watching as it got so ridiculous where one of the lawyers had been making objections before a judge who would move on without formally ruling, which the lawyer disputed, implying it was a way for the judge not to have their judgement overturned on appeal as no judgement had been made, and demanding a formal ruling.

I've no idea if that was even anything close to making sense in terms of the law in reality, but I liked the presentation of someone making a clever argument, rather than just talking about what a horrid crime was committed or how good a person the victim was or something.
    I find most legal dramas completely unwatchable because they get so many things wrong that I find it impossible to suspend disbelief. The only one which got it remotely right was Kavanagh QC.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SPML said:

There are pictures circulating on twitter of the person arrested and Farage at an anti EU rally.

Link?
    There is nothing on Twitter.
    I saw it on Twitter.
    If true then Farage's 'violence is the next step' comments will look even more ill-judged.
    I'm far from convinced Farage wants Leave to win this.
    I'm far from convinced any of the Leave campaign do! All of them would be much better off with a narrow Remain win, mass resentment, Osbrown taking the rap for his economic mismanagement etc.
    Farage gets to be England's Alex Salmond and keeps his MEP salary too
    Yep. And no-one wants to be carrying the can for the recession, which we all know will come along sooner or later regardless of the outcome of the EUref. People are people. We all have our own motivations and interests.
    Indeed, Farage loves being the populist peoples' champion, he certainly does not want to have to get responsibility for anything
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    We always forget how incredibly accessible British politicians are. With Westminster being 100% single member geographical constituencies and the tradition of super case worker MP's they do spend time hanging around local libraries where just anyone can turn up. I think it's a glory of the British ' High Trust ' system. It's like being able to vote with no ID. To be controversial Jo Cox being murdered is as teach as long a serving police officer or Lee Rigby. It's the death of someone on the front line defending democracy. What a dark day.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    GIN1138 said:

I assume the by election is still taking place? Any reports from on the ground now the polling stations have closed?

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/news/14562838.Tooting_by_election__LIVE_coverage_from_the_count_as_Labour_seek_to_hold_on_to_Sadiq_Khan_s_former_seat/

Wandsworth Guardian seems to know who it wants to win. Not sure on the quality of the coverage given the 10.23pm comment...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    RodCrosby said:

TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

Even if I thought this guy was 100% motivated by Brexit [entirely unproved at the moment] and had no mental issues [they are highly suggested at the moment], why would that change my, or anyone's, vote?

I believe a Leave vote would reduce such tensions on all sides, which is just another good reason to make sure I vote for it.

The EU is unaccountable, irreformable, has lost control, and has the smell of death about it.

Yep the right time to employ hyperbole that the EU has the smell of death about it.
    ...migrant hordes terrorizing their way into the Continent by sheer force of numbers, murderous terrorists roaming and killing freely around European capitals, countless corpses of criminal so-called asylum-seekers washing up on European shores...

OMG Rod....I'm shocked that someone could have so much hatred against humanity within them
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

view.

In Scotland we don't have opening speeches. We just get on with it after the indictment has been read. Doesn't seem to cause any problems.
    I didn't know that. Presumably the prosecution tries to call witnesses in some sort of order best calculated to help make sense of the case, where the facts are complicated. Do you have closing speeches?
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

I imagine you dislike the (if US TV shows are an indication) practice of talking about young victims in terms of their academic aptitude. 'The honors student' etc, that sort of thing.
    I most certainly do. Every young person is a star, a brilliant student etc, struck down with so much promise etc. I understand the impulse behind it. But it's almost as if it implies that the death of an average person with not many friends and ho hum exam results is less important. And that's not true. Most people are not stars, not even promising ones. Most of us are ordinary. But a life is a life and when it is taken away violently it is a sad loss. Ordinary is the human condition.

In the criminal law it is the act which is being punished not the fact that we have lost a future Einstein. I dislike the sentimentality which has been imported into the system, because in an odd way it seems to diminish the importance of what's happened.

And when the death is a suicide of a mentally ill young person the reports rarely say what in my experience is true - that such people can often - because of their illness be a complete pain to be with and can cause immense strain on their families, relationships, parents marriages. It is understandable that people should want to have a narrative that provides some comfort but the truth is usually a bit messier.

You should've heard my dad's eulogy. What it didn't say...
    Sorry... Laughed out loud. My bad. :)

Lots of Love...
    I remember sitting through it and marveling at how well it swerved all the usual adjectives

A master class! :smiley:
    I have to say my father was well liked, the funeral well attended (held on a Saturday) and we all had a damn good laugh telling tales of him. Still sad, but funny as well.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    For those who are wondering what's happened to AndyJS he feels that he's not wanted on PB.

Whoever gave him that impression might like to apologise.

Perhaps we could all try to be a little more polite and a little less hostile to each other.
  • Options

A few newspapers are mentioning the Britain First comment, but The Daily Star, owned by Brexit backing Dirty Desmond, oh my

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/743554279512899588

That's outrageous. We have no idea why he killed her.
  • Options
    tyson said:

RodCrosby said:

TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

OMG Rod....I'm shocked that someone could have so much hatred against humanity within them
    I have a love of humanity. But my love of Truth is greater still...
  • Options
    alex. said:

GIN1138 said:

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/news/14562838.Tooting_by_election__LIVE_coverage_from_the_count_as_Labour_seek_to_hold_on_to_Sadiq_Khan_s_former_seat/

Wandsworth Guardian seems to know who it wants to win. Not sure on the quality of the coverage given the 10.23pm comment...
    Thanks.

Should be an easy hold for Lab I'd have thought?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    edited June 2016

For those who are wondering what's happened to AndyJS he feels that he's not wanted on PB.

Perhaps we could all try to be a little more polite and a little less hostile to each other.

Come back to the party @AndyJS ! (well, not a party today, but usually!)

Edit- how could I forget his wonderful spreadsheets!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Hotel in Rome? The Hassler.

Has to be. That's if you can't get a private apartment in the Villa Medici, where I spent a week in the early 1990s. Bigger private garden than the Pope's, y'know

*sniffs scented kerchief*

http://www.villamedici.it/en/

If you get to Florence on your Italian travels let me know.....I'll take a train to somewhere else......

No seriously, let me know. You may well find that the most unlikeliest of friendships emerges....
  • Options

That's a shame... Hopefully he'll come back after the referendum... I think these past few weeks have brought out the worst in people on all sides of the debate (myself included probably)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SPML said:

There are pictures circulating on twitter of the person arrested and Farage at an anti EU rally.

Link?
    I saw it on Twitter.
    If true then Farage's 'violence is the next step' comments will look even more ill-judged.
    I'm far from convinced any of the Leave campaign do! All of them would be much better off with a narrow Remain win, mass resentment, Osbrown taking the rap for his economic mismanagement etc.
    Yep. And no-one wants to be carrying the can for the recession, which we all know will come along sooner or later regardless of the outcome of the EUref. People are people. We all have our own motivations and interests.
    Indeed, Farage loves being the populist peoples' champion, he certainly does not want to have to get responsibility for anything
    He's not going to have responsibility for anything even if it is Leave.

I wouldn't be surprised if he became a MEP in a different country afterwards.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

He's a gent. Why does he think that??

Yes, baffled. I didn't appreciate that. Come back Andy!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    RobD said:

Come back to the party @AndyJS ! (well, not a party today, but usually!)

Edit- how could I forget his wonderful spreadsheets!
    I miss you lots too, come back!
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Tragic news about Jo Cox and shows not even our gun laws are infallible. As for the referendum it will inevitably stop the Leave momentum dead, not that that should be a major consideration today and with a week to go until polling day campaigning will halt until at least the weekend

Might have helped them a bit by killing the coverage of the Farage advert this morning - felt like it could have gone too far. On the other hand it could give Remain an opportunity to recalibrate their campaign a bit and soften it slightly.
    Both sides will soften their campaigns but I cannot see Leave winning now, their momentum has gone and the killer will be seen to have supported their campaign, however unfairly
    Thats a bit silly. Millions have voted by post and millions of others are not going to suddenly change their minds due to one incident however awful.

I predict that - come the polls on Monday morning - we'll see Lead with leads of oooh... about 6%.

The evidence on here is that some firm Leavers bottle it when they think Leave might win.

This group is largely REMAIN anyway. What has turned the referendum is that immigration has connected as the most salient issue with WWC in the North and Midlands.
    Not in my area they aren't (Mid Sussex/East Surrey), to my surprise. Despite the significant wealth in the area. Leave posters all over the place, nothing for Remain and hardly a good word for them from anyone.

Though it seems a minority view on here I think I agree with HYUFD that this will probably stop the Leave bandwagon dead in its tracks and Remain will most likely limp over the line. If only because it will force Leave to heavily ease off on the immigration rhetoric. The luckiest politician of our times, David Cameron, may well snatch victory from the jaws of defeat yet again.
    Yes I think you are probably right
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Mid Sussex/East Surrey? Presumably East Grinstead? Do you know Wayne?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

view.

I didn't know that. Presumably the prosecution tries to call witnesses in some sort of order best calculated to help make sense of the case, where the facts are complicated. Do you have closing speeches?
    Yes, we do closing speeches.

The first witness for most cases is a scene of crimes officer who will walk the jury through the locus with a series of pictures so they can get some idea of where whatever it was happened. At the end of the Crown case there is usually a joint minute setting out the agreed facts as well which usually involves a lot of the detail. There is a lot more pressure on defence counsel to agree uncontentious matters these days in the pre trial procedure.

I have often been somewhat bemused when I have read about opening speeches taking a day or more. It sounds awfully like lawyers giving evidence to me. Different strokes I suppose.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

I would hope so - the atmosphere has been particularly nasty and will remain so for at least the referendum period and immediate aftermath I suspect, but will then return to normality. Unlike the Tory party, careers and livelihoods are not dependent on the outcome so the hostile attacks during the campaign can be worked past.
    Cyclefree said:

I find most legal dramas completely unwatchable because they get so many things wrong that I find it impossible to suspend disbelief. The only one which got it remotely right was Kavanagh QC.

Not being legally minded obviously I don't care about things being wrong, but I find I prefer a higher level of verisimilitude thesedays - I find it harder to watch crime procedurals as I come away from most episodes thinking that well done they caught the person (although in the case of Criminal Minds they usually shoot them dead after they have descended into a killing frenzy, somewhat undermining the idea they are great at catching people), but there's no way they will get convicted on the basis of what the episodes establish.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I have the highest respect for @AndyJS. If I have ever said anything that makes him feel otherwise (and I cannot recall ever saying anything that might make him feel that), I apologise.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Newsnight suggesting recall of Parliament
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

view.

Interesting. Well done!
  • Options

We always forget how incredibly accessible British politicians are. With Westminster being 100% single member geographical constituencies and the tradition of super case worker MP's they do spend time hanging around local libraries where just anyone can turn up. I think it's a glory of the British ' High Trust ' system. It's like being able to vote with no ID.

Indeed. We give our politicians crap, and sometimes they will deserve it, but there are a great many places where it must be an easier, more profitable and more pleasant place to be an MP than here, and with far less expectation of direct contact.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

A few newspapers are mentioning the Britain First comment, but The Daily Star, owned by Brexit backing Dirty Desmond, oh my

Wow. I'm stunned by that headline on a number of levels.

It's as if the Star just wants to cause a shit storm.

Desmond is a nasty piece of work.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463
    RodCrosby said:

TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

What an extraordinarily idiotic comment. And the bar is high, here on PB at times.
  • Options
    BBC has cancelled Question Time tonight and replaced it with an Alexander Armstrong programme on Rome
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Yes I live in East Grinstead. Who's Wayne?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Scott_P said:

What for????
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Good thing to.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

Scott_P said:

What for????
    Expressing condolences for the murder of one of their own, an event which hasn't happened in 25 years.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

He's a gent. Why does he think that??

"I got the impression I wasn’t appreciated on PB, being just an ordinary person from the Midlands."

If someone looks back to the last thread or two on which he posted the reason might become clear.

• Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

Nothing from the police, but the press are are tryingto piece together his background. According to the independent :

"The man arrested over the killing of Labour MP Jo Cox is believed to have had long-term links with a hard-right group based in London which had been campaigning for many years for Britain to leave the European Union.

Thomas Mair was named as a supporter in an online publication of the Springbok Club, an organisation which has defended the white supremacist apartheid regime in South Africa."
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,657

I have the highest respect for @AndyJS. If I have ever said anything that makes him feel otherwise (and I cannot recall ever saying anything that might make him feel that), I apologise.

Agreed
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SPML said:

Link?
    I saw it on Twitter.

Well his wife is Germany, I suppose he could join the Afd!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

RodCrosby said:

TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

I genuinely feel sorry for you...
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    I have just downloaded from my local elibrary a book called The Fire Child.

Does anyone know whether it is any good?
  • Options
    apologies for the typos below. Another too long day again.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Beneath gutter journalism, evil, obscene and dangerous.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Vote leave coordinator in Mid Sussex...
  • Options
    The Daily Star front page is an utter disgrace.

I think recalling Parliament for a day would indeed be appropriate. Something awful happened to our democracy and way of life today and I think we should mark it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited June 2016
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

MP_SE said:

SPML said:

Link?
    I saw it on Twitter.

That would be kind of amusing. He gets us out, but his job is not done until everywhere is out!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

What for????
    To respect our democracy, to show compassion for a colleague, to highlight the seriousness of the situation, to show appropriate gravitas, to protect the institution, to cross political divides in a show of compassion.....
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Nothing from the police, but the press are are tryingto piece together his background. According to the independent :

"The man arrested over the killing of Labour MP Jo Cox is believed to have had long-term links with a hard-right group based in London which had been campaigning for many years for Britain to leave the European Union.

Thomas Mair was named as a supporter in an online publication of the Springbok Club, an organisation which has defended the white supremacist apartheid regime in South Africa."
    Long term links? I believe he took up an introductory subscription offer for their magazine and didn't renew after he had received a couple of issues.

The level of spin to suit a particular agenda is rediculous.
    When the police break their silence we'll find out soon enough.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Daily Star 'readers' just look at the pictures.
  • Options
    Whilst it is clearly difficult to find words to describe the crassness of the Star frontpage, i'm struggling to understand how it could be suggested that it is linked to its pro-Brexit agenda? Or have I misunderstood - how could such a headline be anything but bad for the Leave campaign?
  • Options
    The motivation doesn't matter and we don't yet know it. However she was killed while carrying out her role as an MP. Constituency Surgeries are at the heart of the system. Recall is therefore perfectly justified. Given where we are in the Referendum campaign it's also a highly political act which will affect the media cycle. However recall can be justified.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

. On the other hand it could give Remain an opportunity to recalibrate their campaign a bit and soften it slightly.

I'm voting Remain, though I feel very much in a minority locally.
  • Options
    I imagine there's quite a few people been put off posting on here these past few weeks given the way passions and emotions have been running high.

Even I've been pretty nasty at times (don't think I have been to Andy J but if I have I apologize of course) which is unlike me...
  • Options
    alex. said:

Whilst it is clearly difficult to find words to describe the crassness of the Star frontpage, i'm struggling to understand how it could be suggested that it is linked to its pro-Brexit agenda? Or have I misunderstood - how could such a headline be anything but bad for the Leave campaign?

It's both inflammatory and bizarre. The inflammatory aspect isn't new in this campaign, however.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

Scott_P said:

What for????
    To respect our democracy, to show compassion for a colleague, to highlight the seriousness of the situation, to show appropriate gravitas, to protect the institution, to cross political divides in a show of compassion.....
    Fair enough, I thought for a second it was just politicians trying to look like they were doing something legislative.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/743554279512899588</blockqu

Vile stuff. One can only hope they are trying to jump to the backlash against the backlash before the backlash. At least that would be rational vileness as opposed to just being vile.

• Options
    alex. said:

Indeed.

I don't think there any positives for LEAVE in Brexit being connected in any way, shape or form with a cold blooded murder.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Because it is at the very least premature judgement and much more probably over the top nonsense which may well provoke a reaction toward Leave as a result.

It may do no such thing, but I don't see how it will hurt Leave either.
  • Options

apologies for the typos below. Another too long day again.

We're supposed to apologise for typos? I'm pretty screwed then.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Ah. Interesting. I am voting leave. I think it will be a leave win in Mid Sussex by a few points I suspect. Not massive though.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Holding the paper one handed.....
  • Options
    alex. said:

I'm saying it's not the headline I'd expect from a newspaper whose owner is very much a Brexiteer, it has the potential to be a very toxic headline for Leave.
  • Options

I have just downloaded from my local elibrary a book called The Fire Child.

Does anyone know whether it is any good?

The greatest book in the universe!

Actually I would be interested in knowing this too - similar, greater or lesser buzz than the Ice Twins?
  • Options
    tyson said:

chestnut said:

Ah - all war veterans, no doubt.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Papers with Agenda's - disgraceful.

Jo Cox dead: Suspect linked to hard-right group that has campaigned against the EU

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jo-cox-dead-thomas-mair-suspect-south-africa-apartheid-a7086426.html
  • Options
    murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

RodCrosby said:

TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

You'd be better employed dribbling your intellectual vacuity on someone else.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Because it's a variation of the ' Dead Cat '. Some folk will try to exploit this for Remain but will do so subtly at first. By calling him a " Brexit Killer " they jump the first stage and go straight to the " Not all Brexit supporters are murders - that's outrageous " stage first. If it is that it's rational and clever albeit disgusting.
  • Options
    tyson said:

chestnut said:

I am rethinking my criticism of the EU for banning the recycling of newsprint as fish and chip wrappings. That filth should not be anywhere near food.
  • Options
    tyson said:

chestnut said:

That's unfair and frankly judgemental.

Some have places to prop up their paper.
  • Options

alex. said:

Because it's a variation of the ' Dead Cat '. Some folk will try to exploit this for Remain but will do so subtly at first. By calling him a " Brexit Killer " they jump the first stage and go straight to the " Not all Brexit supporters are murders - that's outrageous " stage first. If it is that it's rational and clever albeit disgusting.
    It could just be the Daily Star is leaning Remain regardless of its owner's position? Either way, I don't think it's a newspaper of record that will swing many votes....
  • Options

Jo Cox dead: Suspect linked to hard-right group that has campaigned against the EU

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jo-cox-dead-thomas-mair-suspect-south-africa-apartheid-a7086426.html

This simply reflects the available information so far online, in a vacuum of official sources, rather than a necessary agenda.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Ah. Interesting. I am voting leave. I think it will be a leave win in Mid Sussex by a few points I suspect. Not massive though.
    From posters, social media posts and talking to neighbours & friends I have been expecting something like 60-40 to Leave here. But I think today may well impact the undecideds.
  • Options

alex. said:

I'm saying it's not the headline I'd expect from a newspaper whose owner is very much a Brexiteer, it has the potential to be a very toxic headline for Leave.
    No I know that you're not saying that - you're genuinely as amazed as me - but some seem to be implying it.
  • Options
    Surely in the age of the internet, and erm, niche websites available, the Daily Star should be the next paper to close to due lack of sales?
  • Options

alex. said:

Agreed. If it had been a pro remain paper I'd have said "w*nkers" but as it's Dirty Desmond I'd say that no matter what was in it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I imagine there's quite a few people been put off posting on here these past few weeks given the way passions and emotions have been running high.

Yes indeed, I had to take a week entirely away from commenting on politics, which for an obsessed anorak is quite the feat, as it was just making me depressed and angry. Currently I feel refreshed, but tempers shall no doubt fray as we approach the endgame. I feel I should get into the spirit of things and start labelling known quislings, but that talk seems to have died down, slightly.
  • Options

alex. said:

I don't think so TSE.

I'm not normally conspiratorial, but the betting markets vis a vis the 2015 GE election and now the EU 2016, suggest to me that there are some people with access to more sophisticated private polling than the public polls that are published.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Surely in the age of the internet, and erm, niche websites available, the Daily Star should be the next paper to close to due lack of sales?

I don't know about currently, but I remember reading a couple of years ago that it was the only paper with growing circulation. Does it actually have a lot of pictures? (I've no idea!) I thought that was the Daily Sport!
  • Options
    alex. said:

I don't know about currently, but I remember reading a couple of years ago that it was the only paper with growing circulation.
    Throbbing circulation, you could say....
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    I have now seen two full newspaper pages that were so sinister and disgusting I thought they were some sort of sick spoof. Call the campaign off. Call the fucking referendum off. The country has gone mad. What a sad, sad day.
  • Options

alex. said:

I don't know about currently, but I remember reading a couple of years ago that it was the only paper with growing circulation.
    It's engorged with content...

Ok that one may have been too much.
  • Options

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

At least until today I was expecting a 60-40 victory for Leave here - based on posters, social media posts, talking to friends & neighbours.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    RodCrosby said:

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

RodCrosby said:

TOPPING said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

You'd be better employed dribbling your intellectual vacuity on someone else.
    Oh shut the fuck up Rod
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I have now seen two full newspaper pages that were so sinister and disgusting I thought they were some sort of sick spoof. Call the campaign off. Call the fucking referendum off. The country has gone mad. What a sad, sad day.

Sad indeed, but if there is a sickness, it needs addressing. Better or worse, the referendum will be a lancing. Hopefully the sickness is a boil which lancing will address, and not something more serious.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

PeterC said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

From posters, social media posts and talking to neighbours & friends I have been expecting something like 60-40 to Leave here. But I think today may well impact the undecideds.
    Interesting. If I can get online from the count I will let you know...
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Interesting interview with Labour MP on CNN just now - basically he said in his time as MP he hes never seen so much distrust and abuse aimed at MPs and that after all has calmed down MPs of all parties need to come together and work out how they win the trust of the voters back

Also he said he hope no side tries to get capital out of this for they deserve to lose and that the last days of the campaign the abuse on both sides ceases

Front page of Telegraph a columnist says that we should start to think of our MPs as brave and decent
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

This simply reflects the available information so far online, in a vacuum of official sources, rather than a necessary agenda.
    Even the BBC said it was"PUT Britain First " Not Britain First.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

alex. said:

It's engorged with content...

Ok that one may have been too much.
    After today I need a stiff drink.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    HHemmelig said:

I expected and predicted fireworks and now we have had some. I think there will be more and bigger before next Thursday. This isn't over yet.

There won't be stasis. Who knows what effect the reporting of the murder and the responses to it have had on people's voting intentions? Few will think "A pro-Remain MP got murdered, so the Poles won't be undercutting me in the labour market any more". Probably most intending Leave voters know full well that there are at least a few nutcases on the Leave side, so perhaps it won't have much effect. Or perhaps it will help Remain get its vote out, or for some who were getting enthusiastic about voting Leave perhaps it will take the edge off their expected enjoyment and cause them to stay at home. Those who get the results of private polls conducted this afternoon and tomorrow will be able to form some kind of informed view. For the record, I doubt this murder has won the referendum for Remain.

Tomorrow is triple witching day on the derivatives markets. That means markets will be very sensitive to manipulation, which because of the imminent expiration deadline comes cheaper than on other days.

Then on Saturday campaigning starts again, in time for the Sunday newspapers.

The big thing today is that Question Time has been stopped. It was two TV shows around a week ago that gave Leave its big push forward in the polls. Cameron ballsed up.

What happens in the big TV shows to come is going to be interesting.

• Options

The market it caters for probably couldn't find the on switch...
  • Options
    nunu said:

Even the BBC said it was"PUT Britain First " Not Britain First.
    Yes, and this article mentions Britain First only briefly, to confirm they have denied any involvement.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Interesting interview with Labour MP on CNN just now - basically he said in his time as MP he hes never seen so much distrust and abuse aimed at MPs and that after all has calmed down MPs of all parties need to come together and work out how they win the trust of the voters back

Also he said he hope no side tries to get capital out of this for they deserve to lose and that the last days of the campaign the abuse on both sides ceases

Front page of Telegraph a columnist says that we should start to think of our MPs as brave and decent

We give MPs a lot of stick, but most of the hyperbolic ire directed at them is, naturally, overblown and unfair, particularly the ones who are not even seeking the limelight and doing the front rank things we dislike most about our political classes.

I find having met a number of local councillors, a great many of whom are capable, hard working and decent people trying to do their best and work with even opponents for their communities, I have come to respect elected representatives a great deal more and try to give MPs a fair shake.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2016

But the article seems contradictory.

It begins by saying 10 years ago, the Springbok Club magazine lost touch with a Tommy Mair.

"The link between Mair and the Springbok Club goes back ten years when its online magazine, the Springbok Cyber Newsletter, was inquiring about the whereabouts of “Thomas Mair, from Batley in Yorkshire [who] was one of the earliest subscribers and supporters of “S.A. Patriot” who has moved from his address in the Fieldhead Estate district of the town.”

It then quotes a neighbour who says

“He's lived there longer than me and I've lived here since 1975. I still can't believe it. He's the last guy I would have thought of.

So, the Tommy Mair who killed Jo Cox hasn’t moved for at least 40 years.

I suspect we’re better off waiting for the police to tell us, rather than rely on journalists googling the internet.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016

One of the worst things about some of the Islamist things that happen is people acting as deniers and apologists and pretending they weren't really muslims or whatever.

The man is obviously at the very fringe of extreme right wing opinion and mental health. Let's be honest about it, and insist that the law deals with it.

No excuses, no grumbles, no denials - just an unequivocal condemnation of his actions and expectation that the law deals with him.

I'm a Leaver, but violent right wing extremism is every bit as bad as other versions and has no place in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.