Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

john_zims said:

@Fenster

'The EU can't be blameless or detached from ascertaining what the causes are by always thinking that it is right and the people must obediently follow.'

Hard to find anything as remote,unaccountable and undemocratic as the EU

How about changing PM and Chancellor along with 3/4 of the cabinet without an election?
    We have a parliamentary democracy. That is the way it works. We do not elect a PM. We elect an MP.

In the USA they can change presidents, and an entire cabinet without an election, though it does require the untimely demise or impeachment of the president.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Cyclefree said:

alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

marke09 said:

Interesting interview with Labour MP on CNN just now - basically he said in his time as MP he hes never seen so much distrust and abuse aimed at MPs and that after all has calmed down MPs of all parties need to come together and work out how they win the trust of the voters back

Also he said he hope no side tries to get capital out of this for they deserve to lose and that the last days of the campaign the abuse on both sides ceases

Front page of Telegraph a columnist says that we should start to think of our MPs as brave and decent

We should do this, we should do that. Let's get real. MPs are public servants. Some are good, some are bad, some are indifferent. Some are decent; others aren't. Some hold some quite repellent views. Others are pompous arses. And plenty of others get on with trying to do a good job. Some - as we know - have defrauded the public and gone to prison. We will think what we will of them, based on the evidence. I am not going to be dragooned by some columnist into being told what to think about a class of people (in this case, MPs) just because one MP was horribly killed by a deranged loon with apparently loopy ideas.

And if MPs want our trust back they can start by bloody well earning it. By showing us through what they do that they have earned and deserve a trust. Just like the rest of us have to do with our clients and customers etc.

Trust is earned not demanded as of right.

Polls almost always show that people trust their local MP much more than the political class as a whole. Of course every MP is the local MP for around 80,000 people, and a member of the political class to the other 59million.
    And how many of those voters have even encountered their local MP let alone know what he or she does? I would not be able to say that i trust my local MP because other than her party and the fact that she has had a baby recently I know nothing about her and have not seen her say or do anything in the constituency, other than as a candidate when she didn't impress me with her answers on free speech. As far as I'm concerned - and much like her predecessor - she's invisible. So I have nothing on which to make any judgment about her trustworthiness. It is quite possible that this happy situation will last for as long as she's the MP or I live here.

I have yet to meet anyone in my constituency who has had anything to do with my current MP who did not come away feeling soiled.

I did rather like Jim Marshall though, and Peter Soulsby.
    ?

https://twitter.com/TimesPictures/status/648857617763291141
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

marke09 said:

Interesting interview with Labour MP on CNN just now - basically he said in his time as MP he hes never seen so much distrust and abuse aimed at MPs and that after all has calmed down MPs of all parties need to come together and work out how they win the trust of the voters back

Also he said he hope no side tries to get capital out of this for they deserve to lose and that the last days of the campaign the abuse on both sides ceases

Front page of Telegraph a columnist says that we should start to think of our MPs as brave and decent

Yes it is, but I think you are for once totally off base by saying we think of them as we will based on the evidence. I dont believe that is true for most people for most MPs. As I said previously, I have no issue holding MPs to a higher standard than other people, higher than the standard I set for myself, due to the positions they have chosen to hold and its responsibilities, but deserving of great scepticism and scrutiny as they are, my reading of the telegraph piece in the line of the cnn interview was just that our instinctive view of all MPs as being like the worst is a little unfair, not based on evidence in fact

Good night.
    Well the reason people have become very sceptical about MPs in recent years has resulted from the expenses scandal. The very same MPs who rightly castigated bankers for not whistleblowing about the criminality in their midst never took a look at themselves and asked themselves why not one MP blew the whistle on what was going on. Not one. So just as I criticise the culture in banking which permitted / encouraged people to turn a blind eye, I will criticise that same culture in MPs. Have they taken steps to address that? I've not seen any evidence of that.

That's not unreasonable. But it's not incompatible to criticise the general culture in MPs in that regard with due skepticism, while also recognising not all MPs, even expenses fiddlers, are poor in every other respect, which is the general position. It is not a case of lionising them or demonising them with no middle ground. I regard the entreaties we've seen merely as an acceptance for a bit of nuance and of the positive things they will often do. You might well regard that as insufficient for individuals or groups to make up for the general negativity, and so might I, I don't think most of them truly thought they did wrong, but it does not preclude perhaps not automatically expecting and treating them like garbage, which many people do, and which we've all done in jest.

And now it's really time for sleep.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

marke09 said:

Yes it is, but I think you are for once totally off base by saying we think of them as we will based on the evidence. I dont believe that is true for most people for most MPs. As I said previously, I have no issue holding MPs to a higher standard than other people, higher than the standard I set for myself, due to the positions they have chosen to hold and its responsibilities, but deserving of great scepticism and scrutiny as they are, my reading of the telegraph piece in the line of the cnn interview was just that our instinctive view of all MPs as being like the worst is a little unfair, not based on evidence in fact

Good night.
    Well the reason people have become very sceptical about MPs in recent years has resulted from the expenses scandal. The very same MPs who rightly castigated bankers for not whistleblowing about the criminality in their midst never took a look at themselves and asked themselves why not one MP blew the whistle on what was going on. Not one. So just as I criticise the culture in banking which permitted / encouraged people to turn a blind eye, I will criticise that same culture in MPs. Have they taken steps to address that? I've not seen any evidence of that.

That's not unreasonable. But it's not incompatible to criticise the general culture in MPs in that regard with due skepticism, while also recognising not all MPs, even expenses fiddlers, are poor in every other respect, which is the general position. It is not a case of lionising them or demonising them with no middle ground. I regard the entreaties we've seen merely as an acceptance for a bit of nuance and of the positive things they will often do. You might well regard that as insufficient for individuals or groups to make up for the general negativity, and so might I, I don't think most of them truly thought they did wrong, but it does not preclude perhaps not automatically expecting and treating them like garbage, which many people do, and which we've all done in jest.

And now it's really time for sleep.
    Indeed it is. Good night.
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128

Viceroy said:

Fenster said:

The rise in extremist parties this past ten years is very worrying. The EU can't be blameless or detached from ascertaining what the causes are...

But it's happening outside the EU as well and in places where the EU is irrelevant like the US. Something deeper is going on and the EU is probably neither a symptom nor a cause.
    Lying politicians/parties are the cause who continue to ignore public opinion.

That includes the EU.
    Mostly it is austerity with people looking to find a convenient scapegoat to blame.
    Actually it is immigration, culture and identity.

If you become a minority in your own area, with full face veils on your high street, foreign shops, non-English widely spoken and the mass rapes of young English girls by immigrant gangs covered up by the Police - you're dismissed as a racist by the main parties and media establishment. Is it any wonder why the EDL was formed?

If the main parties refuse to listen and act, people will find someone who will.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

marke09 said:

We should do this, we should do that. Let's get real. MPs are public servants. Some are good, some are bad, some are indifferent. Some are decent; others aren't. Some hold some quite repellent views. Others are pompous arses. And plenty of others get on with trying to do a good job. Some - as we know - have defrauded the public and gone to prison. We will think what we will of them, based on the evidence. I am not going to be dragooned by some columnist into being told what to think about a class of people (in this case, MPs) just because one MP was horribly killed by a deranged loon with apparently loopy ideas.

And if MPs want our trust back they can start by bloody well earning it. By showing us through what they do that they have earned and deserve a trust. Just like the rest of us have to do with our clients and customers etc.

Polls almost always show that people trust their local MP much more than the political class as a whole. Of course every MP is the local MP for around 80,000 people, and a member of the political class to the other 59million.

My local MP (Natascha Engel) seems to be quite active in the constituency (Particularly in my village !). She's replied to the letters I've sent her and her voting record indicates she doesn't always follow the Labour leadership blindly.

Who is your local MP ?
    Lucky old you. Tulip Siddique. I would not normally expect to be writing to my MP. But I simply have not noticed anything about her at all. Mind you, if she's had a baby that might explain it. She may be ok. She didn't strike me as a the sharpest tool in the box in the election hustings. And it's not as if I live in a deprived area where there is much for an MP to do. Incessant business by an MP is not always a good thing.
    MPs represent 80-100,000 electors. Assuming a 10hr working day, you're entitled to less than 90 seconds of her time.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

The rise in extremist parties this past ten years is very worrying. The EU can't be blameless or detached from ascertaining what the causes are...

But it's happening outside the EU as well and in places where the EU is irrelevant like the US. Something deeper is going on and the EU is probably neither a symptom nor a cause.
    Arguably the peaceful 1990s era was the anomaly, the growth of extremism and nationalism is a return to normal patterns.
    Peaceful 1990s? I must have missed them. I was too busy taking food and medical supplies to the front line in the Yugoslav (un)civil war. Where did these peaceful 1990s happen?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

Arguably the peaceful 1990s era was the anomaly, the growth of extremism and nationalism is a return to normal patterns.
    Peaceful 1990s? I must have missed them. I was too busy taking food and medical supplies to the front line in the Yugoslav (un)civil war. Where did these peaceful 1990s happen?
    here
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,605
    Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

Peaceful? 1990s?

Gulf War
    Croatia
    Bosnia
    Transnistria
    Nagorno-Karabakh
    Kosovo
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

john_zims said:

@Fenster

'The EU can't be blameless or detached from ascertaining what the causes are by always thinking that it is right and the people must obediently follow.'

Hard to find anything as remote,unaccountable and undemocratic as the EU

How about the UN, IMF, World Bank, OEDC, APEC, OPEC, ASEAN, etc?

The EU is a beacon of democracy and transparency compared with most of the transnational organisations which have such a big influence on our increasingly globalised world.
    You're comparing apples and pears. Most of those organisations don't pass laws which have effect in our country, on our rights and obligations and which can result in individuals being imprisoned. For a body which seeks to be considered as a sort of government, it is remarkably undemocratic and unaccountable and this is a failing which is one of the causes, though not the only one, of people's concerns with it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

alex. said:

Cyclefree said:

marke09 said:

Polls almost always shoaround 80,000 people, and a member of the political class to the other 59million.
    And how many of those voters have even encountered their local MP let alone know what he or she does? I would not be able to say that i trust my local MP because other than her party and the fact that she has had a baby recently I know nothing about her and have not seen her say or do anything in the constituency, other than as a candidate when she didn't impress me with her answers on free speech. As far as I'm concerned - and much like her predecessor - she's invisible. So I have nothing on which to make any judgment about her trustworthiness. It is quite possible that this happy situation will last for as long as she's the MP or I live here.

My local MP (Natascha Engel) seems to be quite active in the constituency (Particularly in my village !). She's replied to the letters I've sent her and her voting record indicates she doesn't always follow the Labour leadership blindly (She's currently Ways and Means so doesn't have to decide whether to follow Corbyn or not :p )

Who is your local MP ?
    Wes Streeting!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

here
    Well, I think it's a bit longer since we've had a civil war...

If you count wars that impact here, then there was WW2 but the 1990s? I seem to remember the odd bit of terrorism.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

here
    Well, I think it's a bit longer since we've had a civil war...

If you count wars that impact here, then there was WW2 but the 1990s? I seem to remember the odd bit of terrorism.
    I've posted this before, but it is well worth it.

http://www.fallen.io/ww2/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026

Wes Streeting!

The biggest prices winner of the night at GE2015 for Labour !
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @foxinsox

'How about changing PM and Chancellor along with 3/4 of the cabinet without an election?'

Can't recall you demanding this in 2007 when exactly the same thing happened.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

here
    Canary Wharf
    Warrington
    Manchester Arndale
    Baltic Exchange
    Bishopsgate
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

here
    Canary Wharf
    Warrington
    Manchester Arndale
    Baltic Exchange
    Bishopsgate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_peace_process
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

here
    Canary Wharf
    Warrington
    Manchester Arndale
    Baltic Exchange
    Bishopsgate
    The above list of IRA attacks all happened over "here" in the 1990s.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

here
    Canary Wharf
    Warrington
    Manchester Arndale
    Baltic Exchange
    Bishopsgate
    Goodnight Sunil. Rather than wasting time arguing with me watch http://www.fallen.io/ww2/.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Tooting declaration imminent.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wes Streeting!

The biggest prices winner of the night at GE2015 for Labour !
    And I voted for him :lol:
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 2m2 minutes ago
    Tooting, result:
    LAB: 55.9% (+8.7)
    CON: 36.1% (-5.8)
    GRN: 2.6% (-1.5)
    LDEM: 2.6% (-1.4)
    UKIP: 1.6% (-1.3)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Tooting, result:

Broken, sleazy everybody-but-Labour on the slide?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Danny565 said:

Tooting, result:

omg dreadful result for ukip eventhough it's not a traditional area for them, tory vote held up well considering the tory infighting.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Fenster said:

here
    Canary Wharf
    Warrington
    Manchester Arndale
    Baltic Exchange
    Bishopsgate
    Goodnight Sunil. Rather than wasting time arguing with me watch http://www.fallen.io/ww2/.
    Goodnight Jonathan, remember some of the most heinous of crimes committed during the Troubles occurred during the 1990s.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Not a huge swing to an opposition six years into a government when the governing party is in open civil war. Though I suppose you could argue this far into a referendum campaign the situation is Sui Generis.
  • Options
    Yes, Tory vote was pretty good considering.

But yes, biggest losers were UKIP by far. No sign AT ALL of them profitting from the Referendum -- even in London, they should be getting up to near 10% when their raison d'etre is the top issues of the moment.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,250
    Just what you want after a terrible day.. Trump live from Dallas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InKKQHU4ldk
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    A Con to Lab swing of 7.25% - quite a bit higher than implied by national polls.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

A Con to Lab swing of 7.25% - quite a bit higher than implied by national polls.

A 7.25% against a second term government is fairly poor in general terms. Given that it's in London which by common consent is the area that Labour is doing best in at the moment it's disturbingly poor.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    The betting for Tooting when it first opened was 1/3, so it was far from a foregone conclusion.

http://www.bettingpro.com/category/political-betting/labour-odds-on-to-win-tooting-by-election-20160509-0018/

It'd be interesting to see a by-election in a marginal seat outside London.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    Maybe in a National context the Tooting result is ok, but locally it's very disappointing given the calibre of our candidate this time (and indeed last time, a sort of opposition incumbancy) and the level of effort he has put in for years now. Very cynical candidate selection from Labour too.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Maybe in a National context the Tooting result is ok, but locally it's very disappointing given the calibre of our candidate this time (and indeed last time, a sort of opposition incumbancy) and the level of effort he has put in for years now. Very cynical candidate selection from Labour too.

Third time is a charm :)
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Viceroy said:

If you become a minority in your own area, with full face veils on your high street, foreign shops, non-English widely spoken and the mass rapes of young English girls by immigrant gangs covered up by the Police - you're dismissed as a racist by the main parties and media establishment. Is it any wonder why the EDL was formed?

EDL? Aren't they the football gangs bought up by MI5 and Mossad on the cheap? :)

• Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    alex. said:

Other than the final paragraph, 95% of that editorial was probably planned and written before the news broke. It doesn't link Farage with the murder, just points out that Jo Cox would have disapproved. Why Ms, though?

Maybe they don't want to encourage people to search for information about Brendan Cox, the scandal around him at Save the Children, his roles advising Gordon Brown, at Oxfam, at the the "working behind the scenes" charity Crisis Action, the World Economic Forum, etc.

Blimey, The Southern Poverty Law Centre have gotten involved

According to records obtained by the Southern Poverty Law Center Mair was a dedicated supporter of the National Alliance (NA), the once premier neo-Nazi organization in the United States, for decades. Mair purchased a manual from the NA in 1999 that included instructions on how to build a pistol.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/16/alleged-killer-british-mp-was-longtime-supporter-neo-nazi-national-alliance

That really is intelligence-agency disinformation if ever I've seen it. He bought a manual nearly 20 years ago that included instructions on how to build a pistol. So the f*** what? I own copies of CIA interrogation and US army counterinsurgency manuals.

Personally I'm careful with anyone wearing a camouflage jacket who isn't an on-duty soldier.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

A 7.25% against a second term government is fairly poor in general terms. Given that it's in London which by common consent is the area that Labour is doing best in at the moment it's disturbingly poor.
    But Wandsworth is not typical of London. Gentrification has been shifting the borough further to the Tories for over 30 years.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    justin124 said:

During the 2010-15 Parliament, the average by-election swing from Con to Lab was just under 8%.
  • Options

justin124 said:

During the 2010-15 Parliament, the average by-election swing from Con to Lab was just under 8%.
    Indeed Sunil. It's a Milibandesque swing. And look how that turned out.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Gabriel Stein from Oxford Economics said a Brexit vote may prove to be a storm in a teacup for financial markets. There is a lot of chatter – most of its stoked by doom warnings from the very bodies supposed to uphold financial stability – but the mechanism for a credit seizure is far from obvious to veteran observers of the markets.

“I simply cannot see how it would lead to any meaningful drying up of funds. There may be a panic for a couple of days but once the central banks and the finance ministers step in to say everything is fine, I think it will subside,” he said.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/16/ecb-closes-ranks-with-bank-of-england-to-avert-brexit-crunch/
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    It will be interesting to see what the boundary commission do with Tooting, and there are hopes thst this could deliver the seat finally, but the only good bits that could really come into the seat would be at the expense of Putney or Battersea, and if its a large enough chunk of either of those then presumably Greening or Ellison would fight the seat instead. There are certainly no rich pickings in any of the bordering wards from Streatham or M&M.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Did the BBC News channel even cover the declaration from Tooting? I happened to switch over to Sky just before the declaration was imminent, so I didn't miss it.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited June 2016
    by way of light relief.. trump-shi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbM6WbUw7Bs
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,840
    So, as with the US.

Left wing murderer = Left wing murderer
    Islamist murderer = Islamist murderer
    Right wing murderer = Mental Health sufferer

And please, all those saying 'it's a disgrace to politicise this', are you really asking us to believe that if the alleged shout had been 'Allah Akbar' and the man had been a brown muslim immigrant, not a native born white man you might not have, you know, just mentioned that, in passing, seeking to suggest possibly broader conclusions from it?

We don't know why Cox was murdered, or what motivated her murderer, but there's a rush to censorship we wouldn't be seeing if the circumstances had been different, in particular by some of those seeking to suppress discussion, who in other circumstances would be leading the charge.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    The new MP for Tooting is a junior doctor. So will she be giving that job up I hope.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sean_F said:
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/16/mood-ugly-mp-dead-jo-cox

There are many decent people involved in the campaign to secure Britain’s withdrawal from the EU, many who respect the referendum as the exercise in democracy that it is. But there are others whose recklessness has been open and shocking. I believe they bear responsibility, not for the attack itself, but for the current mood: for the inflammatory language, for the finger-jabbing, the dogwhistling and the overt racism.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,219
    edited June 2016

So, as with the US.

And please, all those saying 'it's a disgrace to politicise this', are you really asking us to believe that if the alleged shout had been 'Allah Akbar' and the man had been a brown muslim immigrant, not a native born white man you might not have, you know, just mentioned that, in passing, seeking to suggest possibly broader conclusions from it?

We don't know why Cox was murdered, or what motivated her murderer, but there's a rush to censorship we wouldn't be seeing if the circumstances had been different, in particular by some of those seeking to suppress discussion, who in other circumstances would be leading the charge.

I don't think that's true. Here's Leytonstone:

http://tinyurl.com/js9prqt

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

SWe don't know why Cox was murdered, or what motivated her murderer, but there's a rush to censorship we wouldn't be seeing if the circumstances had been different, in particular by some of those seeking to suppress discussion, who in other circumstances would be leading the charge.

Where as others persist with a disgraceful attempt to bang their favorite political drum when the body isnt yet cold, give it a rest for christ's sake.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited June 2016
    On topic I don't agree that politics doesn't matter after what appears to be a political assassination. Of course politics matters, it's all about politics.

That said the initial reporting at times like this usually turns out to be wrong, so it's worth holding back conclusions and waiting for better information.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Where as others persist with a disgraceful attempt to bang their favorite political drum when the body isnt yet cold, give it a rest for christ's sake.

Quite.
    John_N4 said:

Maybe they don't want to encourage people to search for information about Brendan Cox, the scandal around him at Save the Children, his roles advising Gordon Brown, at Oxfam, at the the "working behind the scenes" charity Crisis Action, the World Economic Forum, etc.

• Options
    28 June 1914: Archduke Ferdinand has been assassinated. Politics doesn't matter today.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    I note the LibDem vote in Tooting went from 3.9% in 2015 to 2.6% yesterday. No sign of any recovery there...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,803
    Sean_F said:
    They are desperate.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Despite all calls for reticence and pause for mourning, the Remain Campaign and its many MSM supporters are going to rub Jo Cox' murder in Leavers faces; one way or another.
  • Options

Sean_F said:
    They are desperate.
    And they will pay for their Sanctimonious Bilge in the ballot box.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    On Brexit, brits can ignore EU law from 24 June according to Bundestag

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/brexit/brexit-briten-koennten-ab-24-juni-eu-recht-brechen-14292332.html
  • Options

Sean_F said:

There are many decent people involved in the campaign to secure Britain’s withdrawal from the EU, many who respect the referendum as the exercise in democracy that it is. But there are others whose recklessness has been open and shocking. I believe they bear responsibility, not for the attack itself, but for the current mood: for the inflammatory language, for the finger-jabbing, the dogwhistling and the overt racism.
    Sanctimonious Bilge
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited June 2016

On topic I don't agree that politics doesn't matter after what appears to be a political assassination. Of course politics matters, it's all about politics.

That said the initial reporting at times like this usually turns out to be wrong, so it's worth holding back conclusions and waiting for better information.

A lie is halfway round the world whilst the truth is putting on its shoe.

Brexiter killer will be the narrative.

Regardless of the truth, I expect this event to swing the result to remain. Who would want to line up beside the "Brexit killer"
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sanctimonious Bilge
    Is that better than Vapid Bilge?

Was it you who asked if 'the attacker had a beard'?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

Sean_F said:

Sanctimonious Bilge
    Is that better than Vapid Bilge?

Was it you who asked if 'the attacker had a beard'?
    No it wasn't and you know it.

Is that what you remainers are down to, smearing posters on a web blog?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    john_zims said:

@foxinsox

'How about changing PM and Chancellor along with 3/4 of the cabinet without an election?'

As a matter of fact, I did in 2007.

A new PM, government and manifesto needs a new mandate to have democratic validity.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

john_zims said:

@foxinsox

A new PM, government and manifesto needs a new mandate to have democratic validity.
    We neither elect the PM nor the government. Also governments often do things that aren't in their manifesto.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    RobD said:

john_zims said:

@foxinsox

We neither elect the PM nor the government. Also governments often do things that aren't in their manifesto.
    'We neither elect the PM nor the government'? Really? What are general elections for, then?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Sean_F said:

Sanctimonious Bilge
    The 'sanctimonious bilge' is coming from posters who would be all over this like a cheap suit if the assailant had been a muslim immigrant, but now cry for 'respect' and 'waiting for the facts', when the early reports are inconvenient.....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    edited June 2016

So, as with the US.

If people wish to pin the blame for the murder on the Leave campaign, they'd better have much better evidence than the sly insinuations of Massie and Toynbee.

Passions do run high in this campaign, as they did in the 2015 election. If an MP had been murdered then, would it have been fitting to pin the blame on their political opponents?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Regardless of the truth, I expect this event to swing the result to remain. Who would want to line up beside the "Brexit killer"
    I suspect not.

More likely will be how the break in the campaign changes the mood.

momentum was all with Leave, the break will probably help Remain
  • Options
    nunu said:

The new MP for Tooting is a junior doctor. So will she be giving that job up I hope.

I expect so. She was already part time, and part time Labour councillor.

A pretty convincing win. It shows what can be done by a good local candidate.

• Options

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@foxinsox

'We neither elect the PM nor the government'? Really? What are general elections for, then?
    To elect MPs. You can argue that's a bad system, but it's the system Britain has.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,443

Yep. Before the news broke that she had died they were quoting eye witnesses saying he'd shouted "Britain First" as "he" attacked her. My instinct then was that this would turn the referendum to Remain.

Remember, this isn't really a referendum based on fact. There are a few basic principles in play but both campaigns have lied and scaremongered through their teeth. Both campaigns have bitterly attacked not just the opposite campaign but their voters as well. It has been the worst kind of bitter nasty divisive politics, and it's been building like this since the expenses scandal.

People understandably were unhappy with MPs claiming for duck moats. That built into anger, and the last 6 years has seen politicians and the press whip this into open hatred and fear. Of politicians. Of the poor. The sick. The dying. The foreign. The rich. Anyone who isn't you. Fear them. Dislike them. Shout abuse at them. Abuse them in the media, on social media, in the street.

We need a new dialogue in this country. And right now, with so little time before this vote, I can see a lot of people step back from their own invective and think. I came out yesterday and said I'd vote to leave. Partly in disgust at Osborne's punishment budget. But mainly on principle and reason about the need to change direction of the EU. For the people voting Leave for more of a gut feel issue, I do wonder if yesterday will make them reassess.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sanctimonious Bilge
    The 'sanctimonious bilge' is coming from posters who would be all over this like a cheap suit if the assailant had been a muslim immigrant, but now cry for 'respect' and 'waiting for the facts', when the early reports are inconvenient.....
    Yeah, youve been trolling that for nearly a day now. It's boring.
  • Options

If it does, it won't settle anything because any Remain win will be "blamed" on this unfortunate tragedy happening so close to the vote.

The more desperate Remainers should be very careful what they wish for.
  • Options

If it does, it won't settle anything because any Remain win will be "blamed" on this unfortunate tragedy happening so close to the vote.

It's a political website, nobody in my house has even passed comment on it. It was all football yesterday, maybe it will be different today, but PB anoraks tend to get carried away with the politcs, voters less so.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@foxinsox

To elect MPs. You can argue that's a bad system, but it's the system Britain has.
    Technically correct. But had Gove, Boris, IDS and Farage been on offer as the prospective leaders of the government in 2015, I suspect we would now be governed by a coalition led by Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

So, as with the US.

If people wish to pin the blame for the murder on the Leave campaign, they'd better have much better evidence than the sly insinuations of Massie and Toynbee.

Passions do run high in this campaign, as they did in the 2015 election. If an MP had been murdered then, would it have been fitting to pin the blame on their political opponents?
    Part of me wonders if HMG will try and pushback the vote.
  • Options

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@foxinsox

Technically correct. But had Gove, Boris, IDS and Farage been on offer as the prospective leaders of the government in 2015, I suspect we would now be governed by a coalition led by Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon.
    We could still be, would Gove/Boris/IDS/Farage be able to command a majority in parliament?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118

justin124 said:

Labour gained seats from the Tories in 2015. It was a) Tory gains from LD and b) Lab losses to the SNP which did for them.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sanctimonious Bilge
    If a Leave campaigner had been murdered by a Muslim, it would be grossly irresponsible to be implying that the nature of the Remain campaign had led to it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sanctimonious Bilge
    If a Leave campaigner had been murdered by a Muslim, it would be grossly irresponsible to be implying that the nature of the Remain campaign had led to it.
    Oh please don't encourage him.

It's all wank.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Lets face it - some LEAVErs aren't going to accept a loss, what ever the reason.

If it's not Cox's murder, it will be the extra registration time allowed, the government leaflet, Carney or something else.

And LEAVE are supposed to be in this for 'democracy' and 'sovereignty'

But only if the answer's the right one.

'Sanctimonious Bilge' indeed!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@foxinsox

It also means that a government of Brexiteers cannot use the Parliament act on their policies, unless they were also in last years referendum.
  • Options

Lets face it - some LEAVErs aren't going to accept a loss, what ever the reason.

If it's not Cox's murder, it will be the extra registration time allowed, Carney or something else.

And you seem to think anything is justified in your quest to secure a Remain vote.

Be careful: a lot of your fraternity will agree with you, but this could very easily backfire.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

If it's not Cox's murder, it will be the extra registration time allowed, Carney or something else.

And you seem to think anything is justified in your quest to secure a Remain vote.

Be careful: a lot of your fraternity will agree with you, but this could very easily backfire.
    No - I think the UK papers this morning - with one (mercifully small circulation) glaring exception have been appropriately circumspect in their coverage - the Star headline is a disgrace - it may ultimately prove true - but we're a long way from knowing that yet.

What LEAVErs aren't enjoying this morning, I'd suggest - is seeing themselves reported as others see them - can't make comfortable reading - but then little in this life is consequence free.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Labour gained seats from the Tories in 2015. It was a) Tory gains from LD and b) Lab losses to the SNP which did for them.
    Not much potential for further Tory gains then!

This was a pretty good result for Labour, considering the context of the referendum and this been a flagship Tory council for years.
  • Options

No - I think the UK papers this morning - with one (mercifully small circulation) glaring example have been appropriately circumspect in their coverage - the Star headline is a disgrace - it may ultimately prove true - but we're a long way from knowing that yet.

What LEAVErs aren't enjoying this morning, I'd suggest - is seeing themselves reported as others see them - can't make comfortable reading - but then little in this life is consequence free.
    LOL

last time I looked the Star had a bigger circulation than the FT and Guardian combined.
  • Options

No - I think the UK papers this morning - with one (mercifully small circulation) glaring example have been appropriately circumspect in their coverage - the Star headline is a disgrace - it may ultimately prove true - but we're a long way from knowing that yet.

You're trying to insinuate that Leave campaigners are in some measure responsible for this murder, without being prepared to explicitly state it.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

I agree. It's all over bar the actual vote. Cameron (and Osborne) will be safe. I expected a Remain win anyway, even yesterday morning with the polls (which exclude NI & overseas voters) as they were then.

However, the break in campaigning and the increased fear (and hence fear of change) will enhance support for Remain. What has happened is tragic, and people will think twice about being associated with what they perceive as extremist xenophobes leading the Brexit campaign. There have been enough insinuations in the media, including the BBC, about the motivations of the murderer.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

It's a democracy, Labour can choose any candidate they like (that meets the qualifications for being an MP)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

You're trying to insinuate that Leave campaigners are in some measure responsible for this murder, without being prepared to explicitly state it.
    remember the Tories are one big happy family and personal comments made before the 23 June will be forgotten afterwards,

by all the other political parties too.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

RobD said:

john_zims said:

@foxinsox

It also means that a government of Brexiteers cannot use the Parliament act on their policies, unless they were also in last years referendum.
    Yes they can. You're mixing up the Parliament Act with the Salisbury convention.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

How it's being reported abroad:

British-born Graham Wilson, professor of political science at Boston University and an expert on British politics, said the pro-Brexit campaign "has done its best to create a climate of anger and hostility about immigration and the presence of foreigners."

"One warning of this for politicians in every country and every democracy is that if you create a climate of fear and anger targeted on foreigners and other minorities, then there will be a very, very small minority who will do horrendous things responding to that mood," he said.

http://www.wlbz2.com/news/nation-now/uk-assassination-casts-shadow-over-brexit-campaigns/246220423
  • Options

Sean_F said:

So she's not blaming them for the attack then.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Lets

British-born Graham Wilson, professor of political science at Boston University and an expert on British politics, said the pro-Brexit campaign "has done its best to create a climate of anger and hostility about immigration and the presence of foreigners."

"One warning of this for politicians in every country and every democracy is that if you create a climate of fear and anger targeted on foreigners and other minorities, then there will be a very, very small minority who will do horrendous things responding to that mood," he said.

http://www.wlbz2.com/news/nation-now/uk-assassination-casts-shadow-over-brexit-campaigns/246220423
    And, he's doing the same thing as you are. Trying to make political capital out of the murder.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

No - I think the UK papers this morning - with one (mercifully small circulation) glaring exception have been appropriately circumspect in their coverage - the Star headline is a disgrace - it may ultimately prove true - but we're a long way from knowing that yet.

What Remainers aren't enjoying this morning, I'd suggest - is seeing themselves so desperate to keep the EU project going they will cling to a mawkish sentimentality on the back of the actions of one mentally ill person. The case for the EU has proven so impossible to make, this is their Last Best Chance....to say this mentally ill person is the poster boy for Leave. You have to admit, that is pretty sick.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited June 2016
    How the feck can the Tory party remain one party after next Thursday? One lot claiming the other lot are right wing murders? You're fecked.
  • Options

last time I looked the Star had a bigger circulation than the FT and Guardian combined.
    But a quarter of that of either the Mail or the Sun, half the Mirror and a shade less than the Telegraph.

I doubt either the Guardian or the FT has many EURef undecideds among their readers.....
  • Options

How the feck can the Tory party remain one party after next Thursday? You're fecked.

Let's hope so.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Lets

And, he's doing the same thing as you are. Trying to make political capital out of the murder.
    Just as Leave have over the Paris and Brussels murders.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Lets

Or pointing out that actions have consequences?

Or is that only if someone else does it?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If it does,

Lets

Just as Leave have over the Paris and Brussels murders.
    As far as I know, Leave have never tried to pin the blame for these on their domestic political opponents.
This discussion has been closed.