Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Austro-Hungarian parable

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

I think the draconian measures announced by Osborne should LEAVE win is simply him making an early resignation speech - in fact I would expect him to resign his seat, since I can't imagine him wanting to sit on the backbenches.
    Plus he could probably quadruple or more his current earnings outside the HoC.

I wonder how all the PBers who campaigned for the Conservatives last year feel now that Osborne has proved that all the pledges to protect health, education and defence spending were lies.

They have a right to be very angry.

The damage which Osborne is doing to the Conservative brand is long term.
    Absolutely.

I see we're up to 65 MPs have now signed the Osborne letter.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038
    Scott_P said:

I think the draconian measures announced by Osborne should LEAVE win is simply him making an early resignation speech - in fact I would expect him to resign his seat, since I can't imagine him wanting to sit on the backbenches.

I am still bemused by the Brexiteers refusal to countenance the need for a budget. They announced a manifesto this morning, but no budget to fund it

We all know that everything changes on 24th June. All of a sudden, for example, EEA/EFTA is going to be a very favoured option, while some Leavers will remind us that the referendum was only advisory. Passporting for the City will become a price worth paying for free movement of people, and so on. I just wish it were possible to buy shares in the word "Betrayal".

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I wonder how all the PBers who campaigned for the Conservatives last year feel now that Osborne has proved that all the pledges to protect health, education and defence spending were lies.

Err, he kept all those pledges.

If we Brexit, all bets are off
  • Options

As I've said before, it is staggering how confident Leavers here are that every expert is wrong. No doubt if it turns out that the experts were right, they will issue a fullsome apology.

I can't see it myself

personally I'll be blaming you for not giving me sufficient guidance.
    I thought you said my guidance has been invaluable in helping you form your view?
    Precisely Richard.

but as I blog here today I still can't tell if you're in or out .

you've been unusually retienct over the last 6 months ;-)

What was the liquid?

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,243

Have Darling and Osborne really united in peddling scare stories about the public finances ???

This pair have continuously been in charge of public finances since June 2007.

During that time the government debt has increased from £544bn to £1,596bn.

They borrowed between them over a TRILLION pounds in under a decade and now they're pretending to believe in sound financial management ???

Here's the link for those who want to see Darling and Osborne's fiscal catastrophe in numbers:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/timeseries/hf6w

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

As I've said before, it is staggering how confident Leavers here are that every expert is wrong. No doubt if it turns out that the experts were right, they will issue a fullsome apology.

There are probably few people who've read and inwardly digested the IFS report, which has been very useful. I have. Had a couple of meetings (and some soul-searching phone calls) with my IFA. If I'm wrong, I'll be poorer by several hundred thousand pounds. Will my ruin suffice in lieu of an apology? I'm not a huge fan of the modern trend for the faux apology.
    Are you highly leveraged into Chelsea flats or some such ?
    The more excitable commentators are assuming that the UK is going transition more-or-less instantly from the 1st to the 3rd world, which belies every single long term trend since the year dot. But they might be right. In which case *rattles cup*, hey buddy, can you spare a dime?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I just wish it were possible to buy shares in the word "Betrayal".

You should make T-shirts. Or Mugs.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

nunu said:

John_N4 said:

Jobabob said:

Nah. Most likely outcome is Leave win, Hillary win. The two are largely unconnected, psephologically.

Trump will play a "we the people can do it - because in Britain the people just did" card. A Leave win will be good for Trump. The question is to what extent. If he openly interferes beforehand, he can say he helped the people win against the establishment.

Remain's dirty tricks department won't know whether to condemn the interference from across the ocean or to call Farage and Johnson Putin assets :) I'm expecting the unexpected in what could be a heck of a next seven days.

I think you overestimate how much attention the average American is paying to the referendum, let alone the demographics that Trump appeals to. I'd imagine a fair few of them will not have heard of Britain. Maybe England, Scotland and Ireland (not Wales), but Britain or the United Kingdom, hmmm.

Trump coming on the eve of poll will hurt Leave badly- maybe enough to cost them if it is neck and neck?
    Will it really? Will sufficient voters care what he thinks? I doubt it.
    No but it will enrage all the guardianistas who will overreact like a certain mogul on a boar did today which should help leave :)
  • Options
    BlueKenBlueKen Posts: 33
    Scott_P said:

No, he didn't. He put intelligence, which is part of foreign office spending, under defence, to meet his target.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RoyalBlue said:

nunu said:

John_N4 said:

Jobabob said:

Nah. Most likely outcome is Leave win, Hillary win. The two are largely unconnected, psephologically.

Trump will play a "we the people can do it - because in Britain the people just did" card. A Leave win will be good for Trump. The question is to what extent. If he openly interferes beforehand, he can say he helped the people win against the establishment.

Remain's dirty tricks department won't know whether to condemn the interference from across the ocean or to call Farage and Johnson Putin assets :) I'm expecting the unexpected in what could be a heck of a next seven days.

I think you overestimate how much attention the average American is paying to the referendum, let alone the demographics that Trump appeals to. I'd imagine a fair few of them will not have heard of Britain. Maybe England, Scotland and Ireland (not Wales), but Britain or the United Kingdom, hmmm.

Trump coming on the eve of poll will hurt Leave badly- maybe enough to cost them if it is neck and neck?
    Will it really? Will sufficient voters care what he thinks? I doubt it.
    yeah on second thought it won't make any difference actually, won't stop BBC using to bash the Leave campaign though.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047

I was absolutely disgusted at the way PMQs was used as a pro-Remain rally today, complete with Labour MP, Mary Creagh, wearing a Remain-In t-shirt. I thought that was against the rules. The arrogant sneering from the Remainers just made me so angry. The state of our politics at the moment is just beyond dire.

It is not surprising when the HOC is 480 remain - 150 leave. As far as wearing your colours both sides did that in the chamber today. As a remainer I would say that George Osborne was plain stupid today and needs to go asap. I would also concide that momentum is with leave and if that is the will of the people I will have no hesitation in accepting the result and will move on

As a remainer I would say that George Osborne was plain stupid today and needs to go asap.

Wow. Coming from you.

He was using it to get the economy back on the agenda and I am sure he knows he is a goner. He has been a disaster recently and if remain lose it will be in no small part down to him. Time to have a big shake up in the cabinet post 23rd and it will be very interesting to see the fallout on all parties, but the conservative party have a desire to govern and they will be the government right upto 2020

Both Cameron and Osborne are reaping what they have sown. It will be good to see the back of them. The only downside is that something even worse is about to take over.

Indeed SO. The Tories on the Leave side are political pygmies and that's me being kind. Priti Patel - what a joke that woman - the worst kind of vacuous right wing loon.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964

I can't see it myself

personally I'll be blaming you for not giving me sufficient guidance.
    I thought you said my guidance has been invaluable in helping you form your view?
    Precisely Richard.

but as I blog here today I still can't tell if you're in or out .

you've been unusually retienct over the last 6 months ;-)

What was the liquid?

Hogan's Cider

made in warwickshire

and the owner's a Remainer.
  • Options

Whatever gives you the idea that people who voted Conservative approve of Osborne and his plans.

They voted Conservative because Milibands lot were awful and had no chance of a majority which meant that Salmond and Sturgeon would get to interfere.

Also because Tory Majority = Referedum on EU next week.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am still bemused by the Brexiteers refusal to countenance the need for a budget. They announced a manifesto this morning, but no budget to fund it

We all know that everything changes on 24th June. All of a sudden, for example, EEA/EFTA is going to be a very favoured option, while some Leavers will remind us that the referendum was only advisory. Passporting for the City will become a price worth paying for free movement of people, and so on. I just wish it were possible to buy shares in the word "Betrayal".

Why should the working classes have to pay for slightly reduced costs for the bankers in one small area of financial service exports?
  • Options

Osborne will have played his part, for sure. But I'd wait until we vote to leave before apportioning all the blame for the damage being done tot he Tory brand. The fun is only just starting. It's just a shame they are supposed to be running the country.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Right, so China can fall off a cliff, the US tank and oil drop to 1 p a barrel and the lock will hold.

But Brexit ? All bets off !

You don't realise how stupid that looks.
  • Options
    EICIPMEICIPM Posts: 55
    Scott_P said:

Was he not aware of the referendum he called?
    I don't remember a Brexit caveat in the manifesto.

You're frit because your top two are on the way out but you will be spinning as long as they circle the plughole :lol:
  • Options
    I share others concerns about Patel's views on the death penalty. How about Douglas Carswell in a unity government? He seems strong on civil liberties. Dominic Raab also has a strong record on these matters.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. M, want to know something ironic?

William Wallace was known as William the Briton during his life. He was from the Kingdom of the Rock (a Brythonic [Welsh] kingdom). Despite being practically the only man Edward I captured who had never sworn an oath to obey the king, he was executed and most others were let off.

Of course, woad was more Pictish. So that was a thousand year error in a film reputedly full of them.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2016
    John_M said:

I'm very cautious - global, as diversified as possible, low-medium risk. But like most of us, if Brexit ends up being global financial Armageddon, there are few safe havens for the ordinary investor.

However, unless I've grossly misunderstood the IFA report, the downsides are based around opportunity costs, rather than 'every person in the UK reduced to eating cat food three times a week'.

Yes, that's pretty much my strategy. The problem is that the obvious ways of protecting yourself against Brexit (in the short term) - such as moving heavily into US Dollar or Swiss Franc denominated assets - are likely to be actively harmful in the event of a Remain result, and vice versa. That means they are bets rather than investment strategies. The best approach is, as you say, to maintain an internationally diversified portfolio, although in the event of Brexit it will probably be a choppy ride whatever happens.

Where I disagree with you is on the downside risks. I think you are perhaps confusing the long-term effects (caused by changes in the structure of our trade after we adjust to a different model without full access to the Single Market), with the short-term uncertainty effect.

I think these two articles are quite helpful, especially (for investment planning) the Neil Woodford one:

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/neil-woodford-brexit-revisited

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2016/6/15/brexit-what-is-in-store-for-the-economy

• Options
    BlueKen said:

Scott_P said:

Why should the working classes have to pay for slightly reduced costs for the bankers in one small area of financial service exports?

Well, the Tory Leavers have not had a problem with the working class subsidising the bankers up to now (see QE, for example), so I am not sure why anything will change post-Brexit vote.

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Oh my

Michael Gove's father denies his company was destroyed by EU policies

Ernest Gove says he sold fish processing firm in Aberdeen voluntarily, contradicting son’s claims

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/15/michael-gove-father-company-eu-policies-fish-processing-aberdeen?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

There's something a bit fishy in all this.
    More cod journalism
    Gove's dad needs to learn his plaice.
    The halibut of a joke
    He's a sole practitioner
    A ray of hope?
    It's a porpoise built facility.
    Ha! Very good.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    "Remainers Disembark Geldof’s Boat in Disgust"
    http://order-order.com/2016/06/15/remainers-disembark-geldofs-boat-in-disgust/

Champagne-quaffing London millionnaires flicking the V at Britain's fishermen...
  • Options

BlueKen said:

Scott_P said:

Well, the Tory Leavers have not had a problem with the working class subsidising the bankers up to now (see QE, for example), so I am not sure why anything will change post-Brexit vote.

Of course lots of us have. Stop making it up.
  • Options

William Wallace was known as William the Briton during his life. He was from the Kingdom of the Rock (a Brythonic [Welsh] kingdom). Despite being practically the only man Edward I captured who had never sworn an oath to obey the king, he was executed and most others were let off.

Of course, woad was more Pictish. So that was a thousand year error in a film reputedly full of them.

Thanks Mr Dancer, that is a most interesting factoid. While Braveheart is an enjoyable film, I find I do have to be slightly pissed to watch it, as Gibson has even less respect for historical facts than the average Hollywood director. I'm a big fan of Edward I, so it's doubly painful.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Trump on Europe now.

"Belgium is a beautiful city..."
  • Options

BlueKen said:

Scott_P said:

I wasn't aware you are a Tory MP or minister supporting the Leave campaign.
  • Options

It looks stupid because it's not what I said. What other stupid stuff would you like to make up?
  • Options
    EICIPM said:

Was he not aware of the referendum he called?
    I don't remember a Brexit caveat in the manifesto.

You're frit because your top two are on the way out but you will be spinning as long as they circle the plughole :lol:

Who are the Brexiteers going to blame once their arch-enemies have left the stage?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879

Whatever gives you the idea that people who voted Conservative approve of Osborne and his plans.

They voted Conservative because Milibands lot were awful and had no chance of a majority which meant that Salmond and Sturgeon would get to interfere.

Also because Tory Majority = Referedum on EU next week.
    I think it may be that bad is better than really bad. Particularly economically.

Labour have of course gone from very bad to far far worse, and it seems that Osborne wishes to take the Tories to just a shade better than the Labour position.

In this climate Farage looks sensible. (Endless interviews on his specialist subject help)

My regard and consideration for the people of Scotland become entirely secondary if stupidity is taking hold in England.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

It looks stupid because it's not what I said. What other stupid stuff would you like to make up?
    Oh I dunno, you inspire me so much I see it as a competition.

bring on WW4
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    BlueKen said:

I share others concerns about Patel's views on the death penalty. How about Douglas Carswell in a unity government? He seems strong on civil liberties. Dominic Raab also has a strong record on these matters.

Most UKIP voters would back the death penalty, even I would for serial killers
  • Options
    A phrase we might hear quite a lot of in the event of Brexit is

"You broke it, you own it"
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Trump: "maybe we have to go and respectfully check the mosques..."
  • Options

Have Darling and Osborne really united in peddling scare stories about the public finances ???

They borrowed between them over a TRILLION pounds in under a decade and now they're pretending to believe in sound financial management ???

Here's the link for those who want to see Darling and Osborne's fiscal catastrophe in numbers:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/timeseries/hf6w

Darling and Osborne caused the financial crash?

Well, it's a view, I suppose. Not a very sane one, though.
  • Options

BlueKen said:

Scott_P said:

You said Tory. Lots of righties on this site have consistently opposed Osborne and his policies of protect the bankers.
  • Options

ROFL was it made in America ?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
  • Options

John_M said:

I'm very cautious - global, as diversified as possible, low-medium risk. But like most of us, if Brexit ends up being global financial Armageddon, there are few safe havens for the ordinary investor.

However, unless I've grossly misunderstood the IFA report, the downsides are based around opportunity costs, rather than 'every person in the UK reduced to eating cat food three times a week'.

Yes, that's pretty much my strategy. The problem is that the obvious ways of protecting yourself against Brexit (in the short term) - such as moving heavily into US Dollar or Swiss Franc denominated assets - are likely to be actively harmful in the event of a Remain result, and vice versa. That means they are bets rather than investment strategies. The best approach is, as you say, to maintain an internationally diversified portfolio, although in the event of Brexit it will probably be a choppy ride whatever happens.

Where I disagree with you is on the downside risks. I think you are perhaps confusing the long-term effects (caused by changes in the structure of our trade after we adjust to a different model without full access to the Single Market), with the short-term uncertainty effect.

I think these two articles are quite helpful, especially (for investment planning) the Neil Woodford one:

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/neil-woodford-brexit-revisited

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2016/6/15/brexit-what-is-in-store-for-the-economy

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the links and will read them with interest. Just FYI, I've been investing since the late eighties, so don't tend to make 'bets' - I'm just not savvy enough.

I'm sceptical about long term economic forecasts, though we have to work with something. The UK is around 4% of the global pie. I'm much more exercised by US/China/BRIC risks than I am about the UK per se, though we could always serve as the catalyst for something genuinely nasty.

Would still plead 'not guilty' to the charge of complacency; I worry about the short term impact of course.

The biggest risk is the calibre of our politicians. We're short on big beasts, and the past twenty years have favoured the managerial/tactical/media-management types. Wrong skill set in my view.
  • Options

It was made in America, Germany, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Iceland, the UK, and no doubt elsewhere as well. It was exacerbated in the UK by one Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Mr. M, np. Never seen Braveheart, I think it'd just irritate me too much.

The Wallace snippet was from Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies [I think], which also includes the recently re-formed Montenegro. Post-WWI, it was betrayed by the British and French and allowed to be swallowed up by Serbia. Had the Czar still been in place he might have protected it, but there we are.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:
    But the problem is that Joe Public either doesn't care about, or actively doesn't want, Britain to be an "open, internationalist country". Rightly or wrongly, the mood right now is that we have enough problems of our own, and we're best off focussing on them.
  • Options

BlueKen said:

Scott_P said:

You said Tory. Lots of righties on this site have consistently opposed Osborne and his policies of protect the bankers.

I said Tory Leaver and I was referring to those running the Leave campaign; none of who ever took a stand against Osborne's policies or spoke out against them. It is true that some Tories on here have opposed him, others though certainly did not - but now claim to have been hoodwinked. Hmmm. If others could see it, why couldn't they?
  • Options

It was made in America, Germany, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Iceland, the UK, and no doubt elsewhere as well. It was exacerbated in the UK by one Gordon Brown.
    Ah yes Gordo, who bullied darling and where George said his policies would lead to sharing the proceeds of growth.

They're not credible
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    But the problem is that Joe Public either doesn't care about, or actively doesn't want, Britain to be an "open, internationalist country". Rightly or wrongly, the mood right now is that we have enough problems of our own, and we're best off focussing on them.
    Joe Public doesn;t read the FT
  • Options

The Wallace snippet was from Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies [I think], which also includes the recently re-formed Montenegro. Post-WWI, it was betrayed by the British and French and allowed to be swallowed up by Serbia. Had the Czar still been in place he might have protected it, but there we are.

I have that book, and I must have missed it (I loved 'Europe' by the same author, was less taken with 'The Isles', but both worth reading if you haven't already, though possibly outside your preferred period).
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    John_M said:

Thanks Mr Dancer, that is a most interesting factoid. While Braveheart is an enjoyable film, I find I do have to be slightly pissed to watch it, as Gibson has even less respect for historical facts than the average Hollywood director. I'm a big fan of Edward I, so it's doubly painful.
    The script writer for Braveheart was Randall Wallace - no relation.
  • Options

Ah yes Gordo, who bullied darling and where George said his policies would lead to sharing the proceeds of growth.

They're not credible

Osborne certainly is, given that he has been perhaps the most successful Finance Minister of any major developed economy since the crash.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    Joe Public doesn;t read the FT
    They certainly won't at £2.50 a pop.
  • Options

They're not credible

Osborne certainly is, given that he has been perhaps the most successful Finance Minister of any major developed economy since the crash.
    Errr No.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,352
    The Leavers' antagonism towards Osborne puzzles me. It seems purely rooted in his opposition towards their pet project. The level of vitriol is unwarranted: the man only wants to maintain the status quo after all. Even if he wins, everything will remain the same. Gove, on the other hand, is actively seeking an outcome that might devastate livelihoods and leave thousands in penury and strife. Our world could be turned upside down because of him. Yet I still can't help liking Gove. Why is this?
  • Options

They're not credible

Errr No.
    So who would you say has done better?
  • Options
    Mr. M, may give them a look at some point. Current on a biography of Alfred by Justin Pollard.

Anyway, I'm not getting any work done so I should be off.
  • Options

Gove, on the other hand, is actively seeking an outcome that might devastate livelihoods and leave thousands in penury and strife. Our world could be turned upside down because of him. Yet I still can't help liking Gove. Why is this?

Because Gove believes in what he is saying. The only thing Osborne believes in is George Osborne.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098

They're not credible

That's er... debatable. Saying that I'm not sure who else has done too well.
  • Options

The Leavers' antagonism towards Osborne puzzles me. It seems purely rooted in his opposition towards their pet project. The level of vitriol is unwarranted: the man only wants to maintain the status quo after all. Even if he wins, everything will remain the same. Gove, on the other hand, is actively seeking an outcome that might devastate livelihoods and leave thousands in penury and strife. Our world could be turned upside down because of him. Yet I still can't help liking Gove. Why is this?

Start from he's total shite.

It has nothing to do with Leave\Remain.

Remain Labourites hate him too.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

That is indeed the mood. The problem is that Brexit is not going to help us deal with the big probes we have. The people about to take over the government are even more right wing than the current incumbents and have had their campaign financed by a lot of immensely wealthy people who will be looking for payback. What's more, there are also bridges to mend with the City and big business more broadly. Making the lives of ordinary working people a little more tolerable is not going to be high up on their agenda.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

That is indeed the mood. The problem is that Brexit is not going to help us deal with the big probes we have. The people about to take over the government are even more right wing than the current incumbents and have had their campaign financed by a lot of immensely wealthy people who will be looking for payback. What's more, there are also bridges to mend with the City and big business more broadly. Making the lives of ordinary working people a little more tolerable is not going to be high up on their agenda.
    Looking round the piece Remain hasn't solved our big problems and that's the status quo,

Why not try a different tack ?
  • Options

They're not credible

That's er... debatable. Saying that I'm not sure who else has done too well.
    Well, quite. It's a challenge I've been making for the last four years and all the critics of Osborne suddenly go quiet when asked to point to the no doubt many obviously superior other Finance Ministers.
  • Options

They're not credible

Errr No.
    Ken Clarke, but really it's a loaded question as there isn't much choice.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,135
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    The mood is simple:
    I don't recognise my own country.
    We pay too much to Europe when locals can't get houses.
    I want my country back.
  • Options

They're not credible

We have to give Osborne credit. Not all of it was under his watch, but we've managed to borrow over a trillion pounds since the crisis started, without the markets taking fright, inflation is low and stable, employment is high. There's much to be thankful for.

He shares Brown's love of complexity, and he's occasionally been too tactical for his own good. My opinion of him dropped sharply as of last night; prior to that, I just thought him too cautious on deficit reduction (winter is coming - there will be a recession soon, Brexit or no).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    On journey home from work been thinking about my political journey over the years.

Started voting for the tories in the 80's.

Utterly fed up with them by the time Thatcher was outed.

Funnily enough I was a fan of EU then.

Either voted Lib Dem or sat out General Elections from 1992 to 2005.

Voted conservative 2010 and again in 2015.

But now.......

The outrageous lies and scare stories, the over-hyped renegotiation, basically telling me I am a little Englander who isn't patriotic because I want out of this non democratic monstrosity.

Tell you what Cameron, you can fuck off, I am done with you and your party until the likes of you and Osborne are toast.

Lets see if it is 20 years before I vote blue again.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited June 2016
    The massacre at the Pulse in Orlando happened Saturday night. The FBI - it's now Wednesday - are still processing the crime scene. That's thorough.
  • Options

They're not credible

Errr No.
    Ken Clarke, but really it's a loaded question as there isn't much choice.
    Ken Clarke was good, true, but I was really asking about other comparable economies since the crash - few of which started out with as bad a position as Osborne inherited.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Cameron less trusted than Eddie Izzard on the EU:

% trust
    Martin Lewis - 46%
    Boris Johnson - 30%
    James Dyson - 28%
    Jeremy Corbyn - 27%
    Nigel Farage - 26%
    Gordon Brown - 24%
    Eddie Izzard - 23%
    John Major - 23%
    Michael Caine - 20%
    David Cameron - 19%
    Jeremy Clarkson - 15%
    Tony Blair - 12%
    Joey Essex - 3%

(YouGov)

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/x4iynd1mn7/TodayResults_160614_EUReferendum_W.pdf
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Gove on Question Times about to start BBC One
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Looking round the piece Remain hasn't solved our big problems and that's the status quo,

Leaving the EU is not a different tack, it's a great leap into the complete unknown. I believe it will cause many more problems than it will solve. But I hope I am wrong, I really do. If I am, I will acknowledge it and in way of recompense will buy you a vat of Warwickshire cider with my betting winnings. How about that? ;-)

• Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99

It's not every expert though, is it? Capital Economics, Europe Economics, Open Europe, Mervyn King, Cass Business School, CEBR, IEA

All have come out with very different scenarios/ views to NIESR, PWC, Oxford Economics and the various government organisations.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

This could bring things to a head. I just cannot see how any PM who supported the Leave campaign could get away with any post-Brexit deal that did not involve an end to free movement. I suspect Boris would find his insouciant charm of little use as he faced the kind of public anger that would make Nick Clegg's kicking by a bunch of students look like a vicar's tea party.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Stark_Dawning

The Leavers' antagonism towards Osborne puzzles me. It seems purely rooted in his opposition towards their pet project. The level of vitriol is unwarranted: the man only wants to maintain the status quo after all.'

Wrong, Osborne is prepared to bully and threaten pensioners with a cut in their living standards in the event of Brexit but leave the overseas aid give-aways untouched.

Win or lose he's toast.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,879

MD, You'd not hate it.

As you've unusually ventured into the 20th Century, and particularly mentioned WW1, can I recommend the BBC Series 'Fall of Eagles' to you.

• Options

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Leaving the EU is not a different tack, it's a great leap into the complete unknown. I believe it will cause many more problems than it will solve. But I hope I am wrong, I really do. If I am, I will acknowledge it and in way of recompense will buy you a vat of Warwickshire cider with my betting winnings. How about that? ;-)

Staying *in* the EU is a leap into the complete unkown, isn't it?

All a matter of opinion.

You won't need the hope of being proven wrong though: Remain will win.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Laura Kuensberg "some ministers are incredulous at Osborne's budget announcement". Implication that this is REMAIN ministers saying it.

But Scott told us it was a master stroke.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Gove gets a warm reception
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Michael Gove WON'T support Osborne's Punishment Budget.
  • Options
    tim80 said:

It's not every expert though, is it? Capital Economics, Europe Economics, Open Europe, Mervyn King, Cass Business School, CEBR, IEA

All have come out with very different scenarios/ views to NIESR, PWC, Oxford Economics and the various government organisations.
    Pretty much everyone agrees on the short-term effects, although the magnitude is very hard to estimate. On the long-term, opinions vary more, but that's partly because of the unknown policy choices. Patrick Minford, for example, has based his forecast on some heroic political assumptions about the unilateral dismantling of tariffs and dumping of regulations in employment and equality legislation.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    The John M

As it happens Braveheart wasn't bad history at all. It got the essence of the story right. The Plataginat expansionists got their comeuppance at the hands of the plucky Scots. The source for Randall Wallace's script was a 15th century Scots rymer called Blind Harry. It was therefore better history than just about any other Hollywood historical blockbuster.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    MaxPB said:

I could never support Priti as Home Secretary given her support for Capital Punishment.

Indeed, not sure a hang 'em and flog 'em Tory is what we need, though I would back her for leader ironically.
    I can't figure out what people see in her. She reminds me of Sarah Brown. Bloodless PR flack.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

tim80 said:

Pretty much everyone agrees on the short-term effects, although the magnitude is very hard to estimate. On the long-term, opinions vary more, but that's partly because of the unknown policy choices. Patrick Minford, for example, has based his forecast on some heroic political assumptions about the unilateral dismantling of tariffs and dumping of regulations in employment and equality legislation.
    Even the government's own ludicrous scenario based on absurdly negative assumptions (not a single new trade deal agreed) sees us growing not shrinking.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Danny565

'But the problem is that Joe Public either doesn't care about, or actively doesn't want, Britain to be an "open, internationalist country". Rightly or wrongly, the mood right now is that we have enough problems of our own, and we're best off focussing on them.'

Spot on.

Joe Public wants to get a GP appointment when they are ill,not 3 weeks later.

Joe Public wants their kid to get into their local school, preferably one that's not overcrowded.

Joe Public wants to have affordable housing.

Joe public wants to compete on a level playing field.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

And so the last bridge is burned.

The Tories are eating themselves.

• Options
    The most tragic aspect of all this is that, if the Leavers had actually done their homework over the past four years, we might have been going into the referendum with a coherent Brexit plan, and thus avoided much of the economic risk. It's about three years too late now, though.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited June 2016

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

This could bring things to a head. I just cannot see how any PM who supported the Leave campaign could get away with any post-Brexit deal that did not involve an end to free movement. I suspect Boris would find his insouciant charm of little use as he faced the kind of public anger that would make Nick Clegg's kicking by a bunch of students look like a vicar's tea party.
    Except post Brexit there will quite possibly be a significant majority in the country in favour of freedom of movement being retained. You won't get a General Election majority based on representing the concerns of a subset of Leave voters and ignoring everyone else.

Let's not forget one issue which Remain have completely failed to gain any traction on (except possibly among ex-Pats who will be voting in unprecedented numbers if word from within electoral service departments is correct) - the fact that restricting freedom of movement is not a one way street. If you bring in measures to restrict freedom of movement to the country, then it is inevitable that it will become more difficult to travel abroad as well.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Danny565 said:

Cameron less trusted than Eddie Izzard on the EU:

% trust
    Martin Lewis - 46%
    Boris Johnson - 30%
    James Dyson - 28%
    Jeremy Corbyn - 27%
    Nigel Farage - 26%
    Gordon Brown - 24%
    Eddie Izzard - 23%
    John Major - 23%
    Michael Caine - 20%
    David Cameron - 19%
    Jeremy Clarkson - 15%
    Tony Blair - 12%
    Joey Essex - 3%

(YouGov)

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/x4iynd1mn7/TodayResults_160614_EUReferendum_W.pdf

LOL
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    john_zims said:

@Danny565

'But the problem is that Joe Public either doesn't care about, or actively doesn't want, Britain to be an "open, internationalist country". Rightly or wrongly, the mood right now is that we have enough problems of our own, and we're best off focussing on them.'

Spot on.

Joe Public wants their kid to get into their local school, preferably one that's not overcrowded.

Joe public is fed up with austerity.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Danny565

Spot on.

Joe Public wants a lot more public spending. Joe Public is right. But Joe Public is not going to get that from Boris, Priti and co.

• Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited June 2016
    john_zims said:

@Stark_Dawning

The Leavers' antagonism towards Osborne puzzles me. It seems purely rooted in his opposition towards their pet project. The level of vitriol is unwarranted: the man only wants to maintain the status quo after all.'

Wrong, Osborne is prepared to bully and threaten pensioners with a cut in their living standards in the event of Brexit but leave the overseas aid give-aways untouched.

Win or lose he's toast.

Indeed. He's certainly not going to be our leader.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Should have read Plantagenet expansionists. Rest of post stands.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Danny565 said:

Good. Osborne is an odious creature.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

The John M

As it happens Braveheart wasn't bad history at all. It got the essence of the story right. The Plataginat expansionists got their comeuppance at the hands of the plucky Scots. The source for Randall Wallace's script was a 15th century Scots rymer called Blind Harry. It was therefore better history than just about any other Hollywood historical blockbuster.

You have failed to convince me I'm sorry to say, but thanks for the snippet about the source of the script - I'm learning a lot today!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,089
    scotslass said:

The John M

Oh come on! Edward I didn't throw Piers Gaveston out of window. Queen Isabella didn't have an affair with Wallace (she was 5 when Wallace died). Wallace wasn't the father of Edward III.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

He won't need to, he'll be the Chancellor who has to deliver it.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    It's possible that Osborne's budget stuff today was quite simply a desperate attempt to get the campaign away from Immigation, immigration, immigration. People don't have to believe the extent of the warnings, but at least they will be thinking about something other than immigration. And presumably the idea is to get people thinking "that's scaremongering, it won't be anywhere near that bad", but as long as they still think it will be a little bit bad then that is probably enough.

It's the flipside of Leave exaggerating the contributions we make to the EU, it's not best countered by "it's nothing like £350m it's much less than that".
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,343
    It's obvious the Emergency Budget wouldn't actually happen.

But that doesn't mean it is a mistake by Remain.

It is simply about creating headlines.

Just like Leave's £350m.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

scotslass said:

The John M

Oh come on! Edward I didn't throw Piers Gaveston out of window. Queen Isabella didn't have an affair with Wallace (she was 5 when Wallace died). Wallace wasn't the father of Edward III.
    After consultation with the rest of the team, we're prepared to concede the lost battles of Stirling Bridge, Falkirk and Bannockburn did actually occur. The rest is on shaky ground :).
This discussion has been closed.