Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Austro-Hungarian parable

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    @Fenster

Top bloke :)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039
    edited June 2016

GIN1138 said:

Is there an ETA 4 BMG? :smiley:

I think they said some time "tonight".

GIN1138 said:

Their press release just said tonite (sic).
    Thanks. I guess we'll just have to be alert.

Well done @Sunil_Prasannan on taking over The Sun yesterday!

#BeLeave
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

#BeLeave
    Thank you! I know there's still 8 days left, but only within the last five days, I've started to think we can actually do this!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@adamboultonSKY: @MichaelLCrick Friends of @Nigel_Farage say he had 2 ambitions 1/peerage 2/ reunite with Tory party #takeover

The quitter's way into parliament :D

Absolutely superb news for Labour if there is a reunification. Takes away a big heartland threat and cements the Tories much further to the right.

UKIP could not be re-unified with the Conservatives because they were never unified.

Just wishful thinking by Channel Four in the hope that UKIP would then stop eating into Labour support.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Evershed, quite.

UKIP's economic approach is more like Old Labour, and they're more socially conservative than the Conservatives.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

About time for a Hillary thread? The big story in the States is how her poll rating is soaring since she won the nomination.

Seems like Trump is doing all he can to boost her. Paul Ryan must be wishing he had held back on that endorsement of him.

IMHO, if Leave wins, so will Trump, because it will show that people have stopped listening to establishment figures.
    LauraK on the DP said earlier that from her experience on the campaign trail - the electorate seemed to developing a *post-fact* attitude to politicians. They simply didn't believe many of them at all, and were going on their gut feel/what they read overall.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

About time for a Hillary thread? The big story in the States is how her poll rating is soaring since she won the nomination.

Seems like Trump is doing all he can to boost her. Paul Ryan must be wishing he had held back on that endorsement of him.

IMHO, if Leave wins, so will Trump, because it will show that people have stopped listening to establishment figures.
    Nah. Most likely outcome is Leave win, Hillary win. The two are largely unconnected, psephologically.

By the way, is Trump still planning on coming over next week?

Leave's Sheffield Rally moment (I hope).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110
    edited June 2016

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

#BeLeave
    Thank you! I know there's still 8 days left, but only within the last five days, I've started to think we can actually do this!
    Do what? Reorganise something, perhaps? :D
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,352

Oh my

Michael Gove's father denies his company was destroyed by EU policies

Ernest Gove says he sold fish processing firm in Aberdeen voluntarily, contradicting son’s claims

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/15/michael-gove-father-company-eu-policies-fish-processing-aberdeen?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

That's disappointing from Gove. Plenty of other Leavers let their imaginations run riot, but you'd have thought he would have avoided the temptation to fantasise. But Leave have pretty much started their victory lap now, so there's little point huffing about it. Anyway, part II of this saga begins in just over a week. That's the bit I'm looking forward to now.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,993
    Afternoon all :)

As someone who has dabbled in history, I don't really agree with Antifrank's analysis of the inter war period.

Self determination and national identity fuelled the internal collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire while the re-creation of Poland was the result of the equivalent collapse of both Germany and Russia in 1917-18.

The fall of the three autarchies left a huge vacuum in central and eastern Europe but that wasn't really the story. The French in particular saw the new states as a potential bulwark against both Communism in the east and any re-emergence of German militarism.

French diplomacy in the immediate inter war period was predicated on trying to build effective democratic pro-western structures in Hungary, Poland, Czechoslovakia and elsewhere. It was the inability of Paris of carry through that policy in the 1920s that led to these states abandoning democracy for authoritarianism and nationalism.

There was a brief attempt (Stresa) to being fascist Italy into the anti-German alliance and indeed Italy did much to prevent an initial German attempt to subvert Austria in 1934 but once it became clear neither Britain nor France would intervene militarily to defend Versailles, the fate of Austria and indeed of all central and eastern Europe was sealed for more than half a century.

• Options
    @Fenster - excellent post and do share your views, you're a great deal more informed than many - and they may trust your judgement.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Quiet with you and your Hillary ramping :)

Can Bernie just quit and head off to 1000 already for the Presidency btw ?

I am just reporting the clear trend and the polling. Unlike some other wishful thinkers on here, whose names I shan't mention ;-)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I was absolutely disgusted at the way PMQs was used as a pro-Remain rally today, complete with Labour MP, Mary Creagh, wearing a Remain-In t-shirt. I thought that was against the rules. The arrogant sneering from the Remainers just made me so angry. The state of our politics at the moment is just beyond dire.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

@adamboultonSKY: @MichaelLCrick Friends of @Nigel_Farage say he had 2 ambitions 1/peerage 2/ reunite with Tory party #takeover

Absolutely superb news for Labour if there is a reunification. Takes away a big heartland threat and cements the Tories much further to the right.

UKIP could not be re-unified with the Conservatives because they were never unified.

Just wishful thinking by Channel Four in the hope that UKIP would then stop eating into Labour support.
    I see it as being bad for Labour. If Farage and the ex-Tory types went back to the Cons, then the rump of UKIP would surely become a more leftwing "old Labour" style party that could threaten Lab in their northern heartlands.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,806
    Fenster said:

I was willing to vote Remain last year. I even posted on FB in a smug manner to some uniformed friends about the virtues of working together with our neighbours.

I've never, ever been convinced of the EU. I've always reflexively disliked the anti-democratic nature of it; it's unspoken desire to want to control the lives of the masses and make it more difficult for us as individuals to overthrow the ruling classes.

But I was willing to park all that high-minded sovereignty stuff, truly believing that Cameron would kick some arse during the negotiations and get the EU - especially with France in the economic doldrums - to run in a more German/British manner and less of a French and southern Mediterranean one. I thought he could use some muscle to get us Brits the best of both worlds.

Somewhere along the way the Remain camp lost my trust and then lost my vote. Cameron's negotiation was more spin than substance and then Michael Gove's inspiring article at the beginning of the campaign hooked me in. Since then - and this isn't through confirmation bias, I've read as much contrasting opinion as I can - I've become even more convinced of Brexit. I can barely believe it, and I'm even embarrassed to tell some of my friends about it in case I offend them.

Forget Boris, and IDS and the diehards in UKIP like Farage. I've been convinced by the gentler, more inspiring, more hope-led sorts like Gisela Stuart.

I might regret it but the whole establishment has had a prolonged campaign to tell me about the virtues of a political structure that pays nearly 11,000 people more money (by dint of their brains and brilliance, I'm sure) than our own PM. But they haven't been able to do it. Which makes me think that there are few, if any, virtues to speak of.

I love Britain. I love Europe. But I have no affection for the EU.

#Brexit for me.

Eloquently put, and needless to say I agree with every sentiment.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yup - and back the Tories go to 1997 for another drubbing.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, began with Blair's nonsense and Campbell's media propaganda, through to Cameron insulting people's intelligence by claiming he'd actually got a good deal.

Now he never mentions it and simply threatens pensions, bus passes and the NHS (but his precious foreign aid spending is sacred and cannot be touched).

That said, Remain still has a very good chance of winning this. I'd be more surprised by a Leave victory than a Remain win.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I don't want to sound like a dick, but reading that brought tears to my eyes.

"A vote to leave would represent an extraordinary vote of confidence in the project of the United Kingdom and the principle of national self-determination. It would also show reform-minded Europeans that theirs is not a lost cause. And that we stand willing to help forge a Europe based on freedom, co-operation and respect for sovereignty."

That's precisely why I'm voting Leave. And I'm proud to do so.
    It was very powerful.

• Options
    nunu said:

Fenster said:

I was willing to vote Remain last year. I even posted on FB in a smug manner to some uniformed friends about the virtues of working together with our neighbours.

I've never, ever been convinced of the EU. I've always reflexively disliked the anti-democratic nature of it; it's unspoken desire to want to control the lives of the masses and make it more difficult for us as individuals to overthrow the ruling classes.

But I was willing to park all that high-minded sovereignty stuff, truly believing that Cameron would kick some arse during the negotiations and get the EU - especially with France in the economic doldrums - to run in a more German/British manner and less of a French and southern Mediterranean one. I thought he could use some muscle to get us Brits the best of both worlds.

Somewhere along the way the Remain camp lost my trust and then lost my vote. Cameron's negotiation was more spin than substance and then Michael Gove's inspiring article at the beginning of the campaign hooked me in. Since then - and this isn't through confirmation bias, I've read as much contrasting opinion as I can - I've become even more convinced of Brexit. I can barely believe it, and I'm even embarrassed to tell some of my friends about it in case I offend them.

Forget Boris, and IDS and the diehards in UKIP like Farage. I've been convinced by the gentler, more inspiring, more hope-led sorts like Gisela Stuart.

I might regret it but the whole establishment has had a prolonged campaign to tell me about the virtues of a political structure that pays nearly 11,000 people more money (by dint of their brains and brilliance, I'm sure) than our own PM. But they haven't been able to do it. Which makes me think that there are few, if any, virtues to speak of.

#Brexit for me.

Have u just made ur mind up. Excellent. Please talk to ur friends and family why u think we should leave.
    He has been backing Brexit for ages.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,806

Oh my

Ernest Gove says he sold fish processing firm in Aberdeen voluntarily, contradicting son’s claims

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/15/michael-gove-father-company-eu-policies-fish-processing-aberdeen?CMP=twt_a-politics_b-gdnukpolitics

There's something a bit fishy in all this.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited June 2016

Mr. Tonda, that is a possibility.

Even without such a change, the turbulence, at best, in the Conservative Party will give Labour (and UKIP) much better hopes than they would have enjoyed had Cameron/Osborne not been so inept.

If it's leave i think more so, with remain labor will lose a lot to UKIP, so remain screws both Tories and labour
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    DanSmith said:

Scottish EU referendum poll: Remain: 58% (-8) Leave: 33% (+4)
    (via Ipsos Mori, phone (06 to 12 June 2016). Of those likely to vote.

Scotland six months behind the rest of the UK?

Is this good for Leave? Bad? How many Scots does Leave need.
    The campaign in Scotland has been one sided it isn't represenative of U.K as a whole.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

LauraK on the DP said earlier that from her experience on the campaign trail - the electorate seemed to developing a *post-fact* attitude to politicians. They simply didn't believe many of them at all, and were going on their gut feel/what they read overall.
    Case in point - Osborne's Post Brexit Emergency Budget.

We all know it is a fib, because in the event of Brexit he won't be able to get a budget through parliament. He doesn't have the numbers, so wouldn't risk it. It'd be suicide.

But ah! He thinks people are stupid enough to believe it. Indeed, we've all been going round thinking the ranked masses of the great unwashed (me included) will believe it. Because. We. Are. Fucking. Ignorant. And. Stupid.

But as the emergence of Corbyn, Trump, UKIP (to a degree), Boaty McBoatFace, the Scots Nats and now the (unthinkable six months ago) possibility of Brexit shows, people do listen. They do smell the bullshit. And they vote in protest.

We clearly aren't as stupid as we think, or they think.
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281

Oh my

This is not plaice for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027

Oh my

Crooked Michael Gove as Donald Trump would put it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Miss Plato, began with Blair's nonsense and Campbell's media propaganda, through to Cameron insulting people's intelligence by claiming he'd actually got a good deal.

Now he never mentions it and simply threatens pensions, bus passes and the NHS (but his precious foreign aid spending is sacred and cannot be touched).

That said, Remain still has a very good chance of winning this. I'd be more surprised by a Leave victory than a Remain win.

I'm expecting Remain to just scrape over the line - but have a glimmer of hope we'll do it. Next week is going to be a killer of nail biting.

IIRC there's another IMF or something report due just before polling day. And we've got Junker/likely soothing empty promises to contend with.

The Geldof image must surely be on the Sun's frontpage tomorrow - it's complete gift to Leave.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    edited June 2016
    Anecdote alert. A colleague of mine who I had expected to be 100% remain (Italian heritage, Oxford graduate, mid 20s professional) has just told me he's sent off his postal vote with a cross in the Leave box. I asked him why, he said that he didn't like the EU's attitude and their threats to dole out punishment beatings to anyone who leaves, he thinks the EU is turning onto a protection racket instead of a trading bloc. He said in Italy the Brussels Eurocrats would get charged with racketeering if they behaved like that in private industry. I've never thought of it like that, but he is right, our contribution is our protection money which we pay to ensure they don't come along an duff up our economy and now we are thinking about leave and stop paying they are threatening us with the kind of punishment beatings that organised criminals would to a lowly shop keeper.
  • Options

Oh my

Crooked Michael Gove as Donald Trump would put it.
    Dishonest Dave
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,247

Oh my

This is not plaice for that sort of thing.
    I suspect that we'll find this Guardian article is something of a red herring:

"Ernest Gove told the Guardian that he did believe the industry in Scotland “more or less collapsed down” after the EU became involved in fisheries policy.."
  • Options
    Miss Plato, indeed, Osborne's friend Lagarde will tell us how dreadful things will be.

May help Remain. Being given a bad forecast in a French accent may help Leave.
  • Options

He mentioned it quite forcefully at PMQs today.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, very rarely watch PMQs anymore, but cheers for the correction.

Mr. Nunu, blimey. That's not bad.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Trump in Atlanta: Herman Cain warmup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO2cxuqcjbo
  • Options
    Floater said:

I don't want to sound like a dick, but reading that brought tears to my eyes.

"A vote to leave would represent an extraordinary vote of confidence in the project of the United Kingdom and the principle of national self-determination. It would also show reform-minded Europeans that theirs is not a lost cause. And that we stand willing to help forge a Europe based on freedom, co-operation and respect for sovereignty."

That's precisely why I'm voting Leave. And I'm proud to do so.
    It was very powerful.

It would certainly strengthen the principle of self-determination for Scotland.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Oh my

Bit of a red herring methinks.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    nunu said:

DanSmith said:

The campaign in Scotland has been one sided it isn't represenative of U.K as a whole.
    That is as may be, but both sides will have calculated how many Scots they need.
  • Options
    felix said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

You do realise politics and the world has moved on since 1997, don't you?

I think some Tories are still obsessed with Blair's victory of 1997, the way New Labour was about Thatcher.

We might (just might) be about to get a wake up call that the electorate has now moved on. A lot.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Nah. Most likely outcome is Leave win, Hillary win. The two are largely unconnected, psephologically.

the day after the vote.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Mr Junker
    If You Think We're voting Remain?
    We Are The Boys Who Will Stop Your Little Game
    We Are The Boys Who Will Make You Think Again
    'Cause Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Mr Junker?
    If EU Think Old England's Done?

So Watch Out Mr Junker
    You Have Met Your Match In Us
    If You Think You Can Crush Us
    We're Afraid You've Missed The Bus
    'Cause Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Mr Junker
    If EU Think Old England's Done?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,993
    Presumably, if it's a LEAVE vote, UKIP will cease to exist fairly shortly as its primary reason for existing will have been achieved.

As for the other parties, all face some form of internal division but I'm sceptical about any actual re-alignment. The pro-EU dissidents will be marginalised and the debate will move to the process of withdrawal and what we want to achieve in terms of a new economic and political relationship with the EU which will have problems of its own with other countries looking to follow us out the door.

Too many people on here underestimate the strength a LEAVE vote will provide the British negotiating team in its dealings. The EU will be faced with an existential crisis - the Bundestag elections of 2017 will be pivotal to the survival of the institution - so will be dealing from a much weaker hand and may well be more accommodating than the public utterances hitherto.
  • Options

felix said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I think some Tories are still obsessed with Blair's victory of 1997, the way New Labour was about Thatcher.

We might (just might) be about to get a wake up call that the electorate has now moved on. A lot.
    I still don't want Nige to come back into the party. Would be a disaster IMO.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Certainly that's what I did. I gave up on politicians telling the truth & went by gut instinct.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

felix said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

To put that in perspective. In the next election there will be voters who weren't even born when 9/11 happened.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Anecdote alert. A colleague of mine who I had expected to be 100% remain (Italian heritage, Oxford graduate, mid 20s professional) has just told me he's sent off his postal vote with a cross in the Leave box. I asked him why, he said that he didn't like the EU's attitude and their threats to dole out punishment beatings to anyone who leaves, he thinks the EU is turning onto a protection racket instead of a trading bloc. He said in Italy the Brussels Eurocrats would get charged with racketeering if they behaved like that in private industry. I've never thought of it like that, but he is right, our contribution is our protection money which we pay to ensure they don't come along an duff up our economy and now we are thinking about leave and stop paying they are threatening us with the kind of punishment beatings that organised criminals would to a lowly shop keeper.

https://twitter.com/thecardiffarms/status/735487590728671232
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    The last gasps of a floundering remain campaign?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,581

I was absolutely disgusted at the way PMQs was used as a pro-Remain rally today, complete with Labour MP, Mary Creagh, wearing a Remain-In t-shirt. I thought that was against the rules. The arrogant sneering from the Remainers just made me so angry. The state of our politics at the moment is just beyond dire.

It is not surprising when the HOC is 480 remain - 150 leave. As far as wearing your colours both sides did that in the chamber today. As a remainer I would say that George Osborne was plain stupid today and needs to go asap. I would also concide that momentum is with leave and if that is the will of the people I will have no hesitation in accepting the result and will move on
  • Options

The last gasps of a floundering remain campaign?

The REMAIN campaign has no sole.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

There's a niche theory that he is doing it on purpose – he wants to lose. Having seen his Mexican judge TV interview, I could be persuaded!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/06/12/trump_is_looking_for_a_way_out_130849.html
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Miss Plato, indeed, Osborne's friend Lagarde will tell us how dreadful things will be.

May help Remain. Being given a bad forecast in a French accent may help Leave.

Lagarde has a better English vocabulary than I do. :(
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

It is not surprising when the HOC is 480 remain - 150 leave. As far as wearing your colours both sides did that in the chamber today. As a remainer I would say that George Osborne was plain stupid today and needs to go asap. I would also concide that momentum is with leave and if that is the will of the people I will have no hesitation in accepting the result and will move on

As a remainer I would say that George Osborne was plain stupid today and needs to go asap.

Wow. Coming from you.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    nunu said:
    It takes about 7 years to train as an actuary. They most probably start on 25-30k depending on who you work for.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Interesting stuff.. I didn't want to tell my anecdote because it sounds contrived but my local Indian restaurant owner Sammy (he's actually Bangladeshi and dresses like a sub-contintental hill farmer - great bloke) was up the school earlier dropping off his daughter.. He did me a lovely Dhansak on Saturday so I told him so, then asked him if we was voting Remain or Brexit.

"I'm voting out" he said... "Too many people coming over here taking the piss"..

His restaurant is packed to the gills with Bangladeshis. Knowing Sammy I bet none of them pay tax. LOL :)
  • Options
    Britain has failed in a bid to delay start of the latest round of talks on Turkey’s accession to the EU

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/osborne-dismisses-plea-to-limit-eu-migrants-2w6rd8jdj
  • Options

Good for you for saying that, Big G.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

There's a niche theory that he is doing it on purpose – he wants to lose. Having seen his Mexican judge TV interview, I could be persuaded!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/06/12/trump_is_looking_for_a_way_out_130849.html

Yep, the Mexican judge stuff is pure, unadulterated racism. He's not even bothering with the dog whistle.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

the day after the vote.
    He has brought it forward apparently?

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-news/trump-to-visit-england-before-eu-referendum-2834735/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

felix said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I still don't want Nige to come back into the party. Would be a disaster IMO.
    Oh, I'm not contesting that. I fully agree with you.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Fenster said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

We all know it is a fib, because in the event of Brexit he won't be able to get a budget through parliament. He doesn't have the numbers, so wouldn't risk it. It'd be suicide.

But ah! He thinks people are stupid enough to believe it. Indeed, we've all been going round thinking the ranked masses of the great unwashed (me included) will believe it. Because. We. Are. Fucking. Ignorant. And. Stupid.

But as the emergence of Corbyn, Trump, UKIP (to a degree), Boaty McBoatFace, the Scots Nats and now the (unthinkable six months ago) possibility of Brexit shows, people do listen. They do smell the bullshit. And they vote in protest.

Question is, will those who usually Don't Vote actually get themselves to take the plunge this time?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    stodge said:

Presumably, if it's a LEAVE vote, UKIP will cease to exist fairly shortly as its primary reason for existing will have been achieved.

Not necessarily - the ANC still exists 25 years after Apartheid was abolished. The Congress Party is still around nearly 70 years after Indian independence.
  • Options
    John_M said:

felix said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

To put that in perspective. In the next election there will be voters who weren't even born when 9/11 happened.
    :tired_face:
  • Options

Oh my

More cod journalism
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    On thread. Mr Meeks should stick to lawyering as his grasp on history is rather poor.

The idea that the countries of central Europe were conquered by the Nazis because they were were 'divided, small and weak' is ludicrous. If the Austro-Hungarian Empire had still existed it would either have quite happily allied itself with the Germans (as Austria, Hungary and Romania indeed did) or would have been conquered just as easily as the individual states were. The subsequent conquest by the Soviets after WW2 was an unavoidable consequence of this and the Yugoslavian War came about exactly because separate countries with very different ethnic and religious backgrounds were forced together.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    If Remain win, I believe the PM will do a revenge reshuffle, reconciliation will go out of the window.

I see Andrew Neil finally lost it with Ed Vaizey on DP. John Mann said he thought the working-class vote would be the highest turn-out ever. I just hope they remembered to register.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I doubt it'll ever happen, they've drifted too far apart.

I am still trying to work out the difference between a Tory Leaver and a UKIPer. Maybe I should ask a Turk.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,581

As a remainer I would say that George Osborne was plain stupid today and needs to go asap.

Wow. Coming from you.

He was using it to get the economy back on the agenda and I am sure he knows he is a goner. He has been a disaster recently and if remain lose it will be in no small part down to him. Time to have a big shake up in the cabinet post 23rd and it will be very interesting to see the fallout on all parties, but the conservative party have a desire to govern and they will be the government right upto 2020
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Quite so. No matter what our heritage, we are a stoic people. We do not give into threats or bullies.

One of the things that genuinely worried me about this campaign was a fear that, at the heart of our national character, that feature had quietly died.

I'm impressed (and proud) that after months of the great and the good promising us the terrors of the earth if we do not do as they say, so many people are defiantly making a stand against that, and for taking control themselves.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120

Good for you for saying that, Big G.
    To be fair Big G was also saying that weeks ago when Remain looked nailed on so he has always been clear about accepting the result whatever it is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

There would have to be a Leave backing Tory leader first which is unlikely if Remain win
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Fenster said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Question is, will those who usually Don't Vote actually get themselves to take the plunge this time?
    I hope so. I hope people have registered.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

the day after the vote.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-news/trump-to-visit-england-before-eu-referendum-2834735/
    I wish he'd shut up and piss off. That visit will be thoroughly unhelpful.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Sean_F said:

Certainly Trump will try to capitalise on a Leave win, big-time. He will be in Britain throughout the voting, which when you think about it is extraordinary.

George Bush, when he was head of the CIA, was in Britain when Harold Wilson - whoopsadaisy - left office too.

• Options
    DanSmith said:

Comres today has Leave ahead in England, Remain ahead in the UK
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Fenster said:

#Brexit for me.

Amen brother.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2016
    Any predictions for the Tooting byelection?

Mine:

Labour 52% +5%
    Conservatives 24% -18%
    UKIP 13% +10%
    Greens 6% +2%
    Lib Dems 4% +-0%
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    Jobabob said:

Oh my

More cod journalism
    Gove's dad needs to learn his plaice.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Looks like it nmay be kicking off in France again - SKY News
  • Options

Mr. Evershed, quite.

UKIP's economic approach is more like Old Labour, and they're more socially conservative than the Conservatives.

Farage is pretty Thatcherite economically with populism thrown in
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Where are all the FTSE and currency updates today? I've had to go and look them up elsewhere.

I though pb was diversifying into a mixed politics/economy site. Disappointed.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

the day after the vote.

That's what I'm hoping. Sheffield Rally moment. Wishful thinking on my part, most probably.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Looks like it nmay be kicking off in France again - SKY News

Russia are surely out. They have set off flares in the stadium, and have attacked Slovakia.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Fenster said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Although I haven't gone as far as switching to Leave, I have to agree with most of this - this nonsense about a post-Brexit budget he'd have no authority to dole out sums up the ridiculous remain campaign, and why I haven't wanted to be associated at all (I've pretty much sat it out.) For goodness sake, we've had 70 years of peace in Europe, living standards unimaginable from a generation ago, interconnectivity of industry, research and academia like never before. And all Remain could come up with was Project Fear, name-call Boris, Farage and Gove, and wilt as soon as the other side complained about immigration.

I confess, quietly, though - it will be fascinating to see what happens if we go over the cliff next Thursday. Every time a nation has come close in my political lifetime, it's always stepped back from the brink at the 11th hour - this would be a whole new world and who knows who'd be inspired / horrified by the results.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Oh my

More cod journalism
    The halibut of a joke
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Quite so. No matter what our heritage, we are a stoic people. We do not give into threats or bullies.

One of the things that genuinely worried me about this campaign was a fear that, at the heart of our national character, that feature had quietly died.

I'm impressed (and proud) that after months of the great and the good promising us the terrors of the earth if we do not do as they say, so many people are defiantly making a stand against that, and for taking control themselves.

Given our stoicism and refusal to back down in the face of threats, it does make you wonder why Leave has spent so much time warning us all that if we do not vote to quit the EU we will imminently be overrun by Turks and other swarthy undesirables. Maybe a few Remainers are making a stand against that kind of complete nonsense, who knows? Or perhaps they are just sick and tired of being told by immensely privileged, wealthy people that if we do not do as they say we are cowards and afraid to stand up to bullies.

The country is split down the middle and no one side has the monopoly on pluckiness, patriotism or anything else.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    John_M said:

Where are all the FTSE and currency updates today? I've had to go and look them up elsewhere.

How's it doing? *innocent face*
  • Options
    The difference that project fear has made is that; before it I intended to vote Brexit. Now I will vote Brexit even if voting meant I had to interrupt a holiday and drive 200 miles to the polling station or discharge myself from a hospital and hobble to the voting station before calling an ambulance to take me back
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    now therey are fighting in Lille
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409

Jobabob said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

the day after the vote.

Quite.
  • Options
    Russia running riot in Lille.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

the day after the vote.

That's what I'm hoping. Sheffield Rally moment. Wishful thinking on my part, most probably.
    And you really think that his post Orlando comments are not being lapped up by the WWC who need to be fired up to reverse their usual voting apathy and turn out?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

They only get done for stuff in the stadia, right?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    Jobabob said:

They'll be out - what does it mean for the results though as England have drew and Slovakia beaten them. Wales yet to play them.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,306
    It's a bugger work, I seem to have missed the battle of the River Thames.
  • Options

Wow. Coming from you.

He was using it to get the economy back on the agenda and I am sure he knows he is a goner. He has been a disaster recently and if remain lose it will be in no small part down to him. Time to have a big shake up in the cabinet post 23rd and it will be very interesting to see the fallout on all parties, but the conservative party have a desire to govern and they will be the government right upto 2020

Both Cameron and Osborne are reaping what they have sown. It will be good to see the back of them. The only downside is that something even worse is about to take over.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Given our stoicism and refusal to back down in the face of threats, it does make you wonder why Leave has spent so much time warning us all that if we do not vote to quit the EU we will imminently be overrun by Turks and other swarthy undesirables. Maybe a few Remainers are making a stand against that kind of complete nonsense, who knows? Or perhaps they are just sick and tired of being told by immensely privileged, wealthy people that if we do not do as they say we are cowards and afraid to stand up to bullies.

The country is split down the middle and no one side has the monopoly on pluckiness, patriotism or anything else.

I don't think there are many who are voting remaining out of defiance of the Leave arguments, maybe against the people in the leave camp though.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

the day after the vote.

Quite.
    How was your hobnobbing? I trust the important but delicate matter of Troyes was raised :)
  • Options
    John_M said:

Something to do with this:

British Pound Recovers from Sun Meltdown on Strong Wage Growth Data, Seen Up vs Euro and Dollar. The GBP is in recovery mode 24 hours after the currency was hit by fresh polling data and news that the Sun newspaper has decided to support Brexit.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/4988-pound-exchange-rates-today
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    Danny565 said:

Any predictions for the Tooting byelection?

Mine:

Labour 52% +5%
    Conservatives 24% -18%
    UKIP 13% +10%
    Greens 6% +2%
    Lib Dems 4% +-0%

Labour 48%
    Conservatives 35%
    Greens 6%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 4%
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Oh my

More cod journalism
    The halibut of a joke
    He's a sole practitioner
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

They'll be out - what does it mean for the results though as England have drew and Slovakia beaten them. Wales yet to play them.
    No idea. A mate reckons they will average the points gained out between all sides. I can't see how they will do it.
This discussion has been closed.