Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looks like Labour MPs have been reading their Macbeth. If i

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,521
    edited June 2016

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Richard Tyndall made an interesting point last night. Post-Brexit you can't just discount the views of Remainers. They will still represent a large part of the population. They plus a portion of the Leave vote may actually represent a majority for EEA/EFTA. As leavers constantly tell us, this is not an election. There is no Leave manifesto. All Leave means is ceasing to be an EU member state.

I am not sure that I agree, but there is an argument to be made here and it could provide Boris with some real wriggle room once he gets negotiations underway and he comes under pressure from the City and industry.

It's pretty clear to me we will go into EEA/EFTA with an emergency brake on migration, if necessary, and it is highly likely we will end up staying there.

As that voodoo Express poll shows, this position would command the consent of a large majority of Brits.

That may be right. EEA/EFTA would give more control over welfare etc, but in practice would make little difference as most migrants from the EU comes here looking for jobs, which they would still be free to do. It's a second best option that I could definitely live with. But it would leave 25%-30% of the population very angry indeed. That's very good news for UKIP and as it would be the Tories who did the deal they would be seen as the betrayers.

I think there will be a scramble to get on EEA after a Leave vote. Remainers will know the game is up for continued membership and will work with those Leavers concerned about minimising damage to the economy to get the next best thing.

The problem is, I don't think EEA will work for Britain. It retains all the things people dislike about the EU - remote decision making, giving up control over parts of immigration - while removing the institutional framework that provides the discipline to keep the EU together. The Norwegian prime minister and others have talked about EEA needing a spirit of compromise, and good faith. The illusion of Britain thinking it can do what it wants in the EEA when it is committed to doing the same as before I think will over-stress the EEA, which is a more fragile arrangement than the EU
    Great outcome for the EU though, much the same as the status quo but the British can't veto things.
    Good for the EU in the long run as it would promote a two tier Europe.
    If we vote for Brexit the EU should open negotiations with EFTA on June 24th to incorporate their institutions into the EU's and formalise an associate member status.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,798
    edited June 2016
    Fabians’ plan is to levy the one-off tax on those with assets over £10 million or who use “aggressive tax avoidance”. Those with over £20 million in assets will suffer an even bigger expropriation of their wealth. The authors of this plan think this will avoid losing votes as it will hit only the 0.1%.

http://order-order.com/2016/06/13/jarvis-backs-fabian-wealth-tax-proposals-citing-hedge-fund-profiteering/

Mansion Tax to windfall Wealth Tax.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Richard Tyndall made an interesting point last night. Post-Brexit you can't just discount the views of Remainers. They will still represent a large part of the population. They plus a portion of the Leave vote may actually represent a majority for EEA/EFTA. As leavers constantly tell us, this is not an election. There is no Leave manifesto. All Leave means is ceasing to be an EU member state.

I am not sure that I agree, but there is an argument to be made here and it could provide Boris with some real wriggle room once he gets negotiations underway and he comes under pressure from the City and industry.

It's pretty clear to me we will go into EEA/EFTA with an emergency brake on migration, if necessary, and it is highly likely we will end up staying there.

As that voodoo Express poll shows, this position would command the consent of a large majority of Brits.

That may be right. EEA/EFTA would give more control over welfare etc, but in practice would make little difference as most migrants from the EU comes here looking for jobs, which they would still be free to do. It's a second best option that I could definitely live with. But it would leave 25%-30% of the population very angry indeed. That's very good news for UKIP and as it would be the Tories who did the deal they would be seen as the betrayers.

I think there will be a scramble to get on EEA after a Leave vote. Remainers will know the game is up for continued membership and will work with those Leavers concerned about minimising damage to the economy to get the next best thing.

The problem is, I don't think EEA will work for Britain. It retains all the things people dislike about the EU - remote decision making, giving up control over parts of immigration - while removing the institutional framework that provides the discipline to keep the EU together. The Norwegian prime minister and others have talked about EEA needing a spirit of compromise, and good faith. The illusion of Britain thinking it can do what it wants in the EEA when it is committed to doing the same as before I think will over-stress the EEA, which is a more fragile arrangement than the EU
    Great outcome for the EU though, much the same as the status quo but the British can't veto things.
    Which is basically what is needed
    Absolutely right; and the quicker everyone realises this, the happier we will all be.

The EU is not awful or evil, despite what some people think. It is merely not for us.
    What benefits do we get from the EEA that we don't get from the EU?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

Scott_P getting pretty desperate quoting AA Gill of all unpleasant people...

And the article is bollox, and simplistic bollox at that. Divide the country into people who are progressive, open minded, good Europeans, and narrow minded backwards looking "little Englanders". it really is that simple isn't it, out of his Islington window.

OK. If you say so. Keep writing that kind of stuff to maximise the Leave vote! Patronising tw@

Here's the other side article from Rod Liddle - they came as a matching pair in STimes

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rod-liddle-argues-the-case-for-brexit-3bwgkbq0p
    Paywall :(.

It's struck me for a long time that for a lot of folk diversity equates people to a tube of smarties. You're allowed to look different, but inside: all the same.

The biggest risk I see for Brexit is that I'm dependent on the calibre of the people who will implement it. The economic risk I've factored in. It will be easy to screw up an exit.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Arf

Eurosceptic MP James Cleverly has this novel idea for EU reform: why don't they pay us to stay in if we are that important?

He also rubbished the suggestion by Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, that Brexit could lead to the "destruction of Western civilisation".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/eu-referendum-tory-donor-funding-david-cameron-gordon-brown-live/#update-20160613-1429
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Fabians’ plan is to levy the one-off tax on those with assets over £10 million or who use “aggressive tax avoidance”. Those with over £20 million in assets will suffer an even bigger expropriation of their wealth. The authors of this plan think this will avoid losing votes as it will hit only the 0.1%.

http://order-order.com/2016/06/13/jarvis-backs-fabian-wealth-tax-proposals-citing-hedge-fund-profiteering/

Mansion Tax to windfall Wealth Tax.

That's OK then - those with all the money leave the UK.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,353
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

I hate this "we just want our country back" meme.

AA Gill in The Times

Wanting the country back is the constant mantra of all the outies. Farage slurs it, Gove insinuates it. Of course I know what they mean. We all know what they mean. They mean back from Johnny Foreigner, back from the brink, back from the future, back-to-back, back to bosky hedges and dry stone walls and country lanes and church bells and warm beer and skittles and football rattles and cheery banter and clogs on cobbles. Back to vicars-and-tarts parties and Carry On fart jokes, back to Elgar and fudge and proper weather and herbaceous borders and cars called Morris. Back to victoria sponge and 22 yards to a wicket and 15 hands to a horse and 3ft to a yard and four fingers in a Kit Kat, back to gooseberries not avocados, back to deference and respect, to make do and mend and smiling bravely and biting your lip and suffering in silence and patronising foreigners with pity.

We all know what “getting our country back” means. It’s snorting a line of the most pernicious and debilitating Little English drug, nostalgia. The warm, crumbly, honey-coloured, collective “yesterday” with its fond belief that everything was better back then, that Britain (England, really) is a worse place now than it was at some foggy point in the past where we achieved peak Blighty. It’s the knowledge that the best of us have been and gone, that nothing we can build will be as lovely as a National Trust Georgian country house, no art will be as good as a Turner, no poem as wonderful as If, no writer a touch on Shakespeare or Dickens, nothing will grow as lovely as a cottage garden, no hero greater than Nelson, no politician better than Churchill, no view more throat-catching than the White Cliffs and that we will never manufacture anything as great as a Rolls-Royce or Flying Scotsman again.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aa-gill-argues-the-case-against-brexit-kmnp83zrt?shareToken=825855a5aa4073592be7878163b29905
    This is the same A A Gill (a Scotsman with a grievance) who wrote an ENTIRE BOOK about the awfulness of the English, "red faced blimps, like screaming toddlers, no one will miss them when their country has gone" - it was nauseating

He's a weird horrible man. I know many people that know him and loathe him. Ignore.
    He seems to know his English mind you
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Sorry if my 'get our country back phrase' has riled you midwinter.

However the image of plucky patriots fighting uncaring federalist robots is anything but faux.

Contrast. I am spending my time hand delivering hundreds of Vote Leave leaflets which provide information about the EU and why my team believes those facts support a vote to Leave. My leaflets say they are from the Leave campaign.

The remain side by contrast sent out their information leaflet equally as partisan yet(branded as Her Majesty's Government, to every house in the country at tax payers expense.

Forgive me my phrase but Leave is the campaign of the little battalions, the battered old past it paddle steamers going across the English channel for one more load off the beaches and yes of those nostalgic for a better Britain that can and will be again. And we are going to do it.

I dislike the phrase because, firstly, it sounds like the kind of thing a recently spurned teenage girl might say about her departed beau in a particularly painful novel, but principally as I said before, because those who use it like to consider themselves more patriotic than anyone who might vote for Remain.
    I'm hoping your last paragraph was written with your tongue firmly in your cheek.....
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

And the article is bollox, and simplistic bollox at that. Divide the country into people who are progressive, open minded, good Europeans, and narrow minded backwards looking "little Englanders". it really is that simple isn't it, out of his Islington window.

OK. If you say so. Keep writing that kind of stuff to maximise the Leave vote! Patronising tw@

Here's the other side article from Rod Liddle - they came as a matching pair in STimes

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rod-liddle-argues-the-case-for-brexit-3bwgkbq0p

It's struck me for a long time that for a lot of folk diversity equates people to a tube of smarties. You're allowed to look different, but inside: all the same.

The biggest risk I see for Brexit is that I'm dependent on the calibre of the people who will implement it. The economic risk I've factored in. It will be easy to screw up an exit.
    It's the best £8.67 pcm I spend. I don't bother with the tablet do da stuff - simple online gives me everything.

On the subject of diverse opinions - Brexiteers seem much more willing to take risks and be different. And not scared of it.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,932
    edited June 2016

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

If we vote for Brexit the EU should open negotiations with EFTA on June 24th to incorporate their institutions into the EU's and formalise an associate member status.
    Agreed that it is better than complete isolation, but is a much worse option than remaining in the EU, because it's fragile and won't work for the UK. The EU does work, even people don't like it much.
  • Options
    saddened said:

However the image of plucky patriots fighting uncaring federalist robots is anything but faux.

Contrast. I am spending my time hand delivering hundreds of Vote Leave leaflets which provide information about the EU and why my team believes those facts support a vote to Leave. My leaflets say they are from the Leave campaign.

The remain side by contrast sent out their information leaflet equally as partisan yet(branded as Her Majesty's Government, to every house in the country at tax payers expense.

Forgive me my phrase but Leave is the campaign of the little battalions, the battered old past it paddle steamers going across the English channel for one more load off the beaches and yes of those nostalgic for a better Britain that can and will be again. And we are going to do it.

I was wavering but this has tipped me into the remain camp. Paddle steamer, FFS. I will be one of the few waverers who can point to the exact moment they reached their final decision
    Yep. That was grim
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

It's the best £8.67 pcm I spend. I don't bother with the tablet do da stuff - simple online gives me everything.
    It can't compete with my Spotify Premium. I can live without the Times.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,912
    PlatoSaid said:

Arf

Eurosceptic MP James Cleverly has this novel idea for EU reform: why don't they pay us to stay in if we are that important?

He also rubbished the suggestion by Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, that Brexit could lead to the "destruction of Western civilisation".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/eu-referendum-tory-donor-funding-david-cameron-gordon-brown-live/#update-20160613-1429

But I thought they did pay us? Didn't St. Nicola tell us that we get £10 back for every £1 we put in?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,123

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Which is basically what is needed
    Absolutely right; and the quicker everyone realises this, the happier we will all be.

The EU is not awful or evil, despite what some people think. It is merely not for us.
    What benefits do we get from the EEA that we don't get from the EU?
    We only pay about 1/7th - 1/8th of the gross contribution or about 1/4 of the net contribution we pay now.
    We only have to obey the laws directly concerned with the Single Market. Somewhere over 75% of EU legislation would no longer apply to us.
    No CFP and CAP.
    We get to vote on the important international bodies which actually decide the rules and standards of trade.
    We are no longer subject to rulings of the ECJ

Looking forward we will no longer be at risk of Ever Closer Union.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Betting odds indicate 'Out' campaign making up ground fast

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-odds-idUKKCN0YZ0J6
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

It can't compete with my Spotify Premium. I can live without the Times.
    I've been paying a tenner for SPremium for a year and keep forgetting to cancel it!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Rentool, that claim is one of the most laughable either campaign has made.

The idea we get back £100bn (perhaps more) from the EU is a shade optimistic.

Mr. T, that'd make the last few ICMs quite the pendulum.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    midwinter said:

saddened said:

I was wavering but this has tipped me into the remain camp. Paddle steamer, FFS. I will be one of the few waverers who can point to the exact moment they reached their final decision
    Yep. That was grim
    Deciding how you are going to vote in one of the most important elections based on an anonymous comment on PB does seem just a bit OTT!
  • Options
    Richard Tyndall. The whole leave campaign has been based on immigration. I can't see that being acceptable.
  • Options
    Should England get dumped out of Euro 2016 by Slovakia next Monday evening, will Woy and the boys arrive home via Luton Airport before the polls open on Thursday morning? - This could prove crucial to the referendum outcome.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

Agreed that it is better than complete isolation, but is a much worse option than remaining in the EU, because it's fragile and won't work for the UK. The EU does work, even people don't like it much.
    I agree and am strongly for Remain.

The more rational Leavers who wish to retain a relationship with the EU via staying in the EEA do have a blind spot about how Brexit would itself change the geometry of European politics. EFTA in its present form would not survive the UK attempting to use it as a means to claim squatters' rights to stay in the EEA.
  • Options
    reverend_catreverend_cat Posts: 71
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

The forex markets, judging by dealers on Twitter, are convinced it's a 5 point lead for REMAIN

I HAVE NO IDEA IF THEY'RE RIGHT

It's an interesting test, tho. If they are proven correct it means the markets have inside info and we should look to them for early indicators.

If they are wrong... The pound is going to drop a fair bit.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,432
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

The EU isn't working for Greece. Or Italy. Or Portugal. Or France, really. Or Spain. Or Europe.

Europe is the slowest growing continent on the planet.

I would think LatAm is shrinking right now, given that GDP growth is negative in Brazil, Venezuela, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

The forex markets, judging by dealers on Twitter, are convinced it's a 5 point lead for REMAIN

It's an interesting test, tho. If they are proven correct it means the markets have inside info and we should look to them for early indicators.

If they had insider info wouldn't they be better not saying anything on twitter? You know, you wouldn't want to give the authorities the impression you were quite happy to use privileged info for personal gain or anything like that.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    edited June 2016
    Dunno much about A A Gill's political views or likeability but the best piece of popular history I have just about ever read was this about the Battle of Towton:

towton-bloodbath-changed-our-history.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @rcs1000 Pfft. As if FACTS matter. This is about the truth in people's hearts. That's far more important.
  • Options
    After the violence in France, clearly Russia would be the second worst place in the world to hold a football tournament.

The worst place?

"A court in Qatar has convicted a Dutch woman of having sex outside marriage after she told police she was raped."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36516006

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,072

Should England get dumped out of Euro 2016 by Slovakia next Monday evening, will Woy and the boys arrive home via Luton Airport before the polls open on Thursday morning? - This could prove crucial to the referendum outcome.

Who does an early exit favour ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,043
    Pulpstar said:

Who does an early exit favour ?
    Leave

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/11/15/another-reason-why-cameron-shouldnt-hold-the-referendum-next-june/
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,166

Richard Tyndall. The whole leave campaign has been based on immigration. I can't see that being acceptable.

Have a general election, the winner gets a mandate for whatever they argue for, no need to worry about the general vibe of a previous vote.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Pound now UP for the day
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Pound now UP for the day

Somebody needs to tell the BBC....

Sterling falls as investors fret over Brexit uncertainty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36515816
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Actually - no! Vote Leave carefully kept away from immigration - until Purdah started. Whether it was due to Purdah or a coincidence in timings, I do not know.
  • Options
    RobD said:

midwinter said:

saddened said:

Yep. That was grim
    Deciding how you are going to vote in one of the most important elections based on an anonymous comment on PB does seem just a bit OTT!
    Well yeah .....but really, battered old paddle steamers? Not sure that's an image Leave want to be using to describe themselves. However apt.........
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    And the betting markets are nearly back to where they were this morning - Remain is currently 1.46/1.47.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,824

Blimey. French justice works quick. Two brits jailed for 2 and 3 months following Marseilles violence. (Sky report)

And zero Russians....
    And zero French.
  • Options

marke09 said:

Pound now UP for the day

Somebody needs to tell the BBC....

Sterling falls as investors fret over Brexit uncertainty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36515816
    They couldn't even wait until close of business?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    SeanT said:

Could be an attempt to manipulate the market.
  • Options

Blimey. French justice works quick. Two brits jailed for 2 and 3 months following Marseilles violence. (Sky report)

And zero Russians....
    And zero French.
    3 French are on trial shortly. 2 Russian have been arrested, but only for pitch invasion, not the hooliganism.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @lukesurl: RUMOUR: ICM #EUref poll delayed after 78% of respondents curled into foetal position and began whimpering "make it stop" over and over.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, that's a quite rancid perversion of justice in Qatar.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

The more rational Leavers who wish to retain a relationship with the EU via staying in the EEA do have a blind spot about how Brexit would itself change the geometry of European politics. EFTA in its present form would not survive the UK attempting to use it as a means to claim squatters' rights to stay in the EEA.
    Of course it would. The big difference between the EU and EFTA is that the latter does not require its members to follow common rules on anything but trade. Nor can any individual country be outvoted. It is a completely different dynamic to the EU.
  • Options
    It appears Gordon Brown has been enjoying a lot of kit-kats since his retirement from politics.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Have a general election, the winner gets a mandate for whatever they argue for, no need to worry about the general vibe of a previous vote.
    I can imagine Labour wanting to see the Government stew in its self inflicted chaos and to decline to faciltate an early election.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,824

@rcs1000 Pfft. As if FACTS matter. This is about the truth in people's hearts. That's far more important.

As any good lawyer surely knows, FACTS can be marshalled to support either side of the argument.
  • Options
    Stock Market shuts at 4.30, doesn't it?
  • Options
    Labour's Gisela Stuart faces inquiry over claims she did not declare interests

Vote Leave co-convenor allegedly failed to declare shareholdings in company offering tax planning for non-domiciled residents

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/13/labour-mp-gisela-stuart-inquiry-alleged-failure-declare-interests-vestra-wealth
  • Options

It will depend on what the will is of the whole population - Remainers and Brexiters - after we Leave. The votes of those who voted Remain will be just as valid as those who voted Leave in any future decisions on our relationship with the Single Market.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

The pollsters need to be ultra careful. If information is leaking out, the market abuse consequences for a market with over $300bn of daily turnover would be horrific.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Mr. Rentool, that's a quite rancid perversion of justice in Qatar.

I am sure FIFA will take this stuff very serious and consider if holding a world cup in the country fits with the values of such as equality that FIFA require host nations to embrace...

Or perhaps there are several billion other reasons why they won't.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Of course it would. The big difference between the EU and EFTA is that the latter does not require its members to follow common rules on anything but trade. Nor can any individual country be outvoted. It is a completely different dynamic to the EU.
    But the raison d'etre of EFTA is access to the EEA of which the EU is the dominant part. If the EU doesn't like that arrangement it can, over time, make sure it doesn't go on that way.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016
    chestnut said:

Betting odds indicate 'Out' campaign making up ground fast

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-odds-idUKKCN0YZ0J6

"We had to halve our odds on Monday morning for a Brexit result," William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe said."

No Mr. Sharpe, either you or the reuters journalist is mistaken.

You didn't halve your odds, you cut them from 2/1 to 7/4. That's about a 6% reduction depending on how you calculate these things.

Definitely nowhere near half, though!

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/eu-referendum/referendum-on-eu-membership-result/bet-history/leave/today
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Very strong rumours that ICM has healthy REMAIN lead

Sterling has shot up

LEAVE's odds have weakened ...... Bet365 has them back at 2/1.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

I would think LatAm is shrinking right now, given that GDP growth is negative in Brazil, Venezuela, etc.

Perhaps at the very moment (dunno). But over the last ten years (a more sensible measure) LatAm has outstripped the EU
    That's because they were comodity exporters at a time when the price of oil went from $30 to $150. The correlation between GDP growth and commodity prices is basically one for all of LatAm. Put in context, 93% of Venezuela's exports are oil; three-quarters of Argentina's, and two-thirds of Brazil's exports are primary commodities. The numbers will be similar, I'm sure, for Chile and the like.

Look, I totally buy the EU is not going to be the economic powerhouse of the world in the next decade, but last time we had a commodity down-cycle (1982-1999), Latin American basically went 18 years without growing.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,276
    Do we really have 10 more days of this?

Please. Make it stop.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,950
    Been away from desk - did we get the ICM?
  • Options

Please. Make it stop.

If you vote Leave we'll have years of it. That's why you should vote Remain to make it stop. :)
  • Options

Yes, Leave 83%, Remain 12%, DKs 5%.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Cor this is exciting...... kinda.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,523
    SeanT said:

This is the same A A Gill (a Scotsman with a grievance) who wrote an ENTIRE BOOK about the awfulness of the English

Yep, we obviously had a time-travelling named person sent back to indoctrinate him in the ways of Anglo hatred..

'Gill was born in Edinburgh to English parents, television producer and director Michael Gill and actress Yvonne Gilan, and brother to Nicholas. The family moved back to the south of England when he was one year old.'

http://tinyurl.com/jtkspxa
  • Options
    This is truly horrible.
  • Options

Please. Make it stop.

If you vote Leave we'll have years of it. That's why you should vote Remain to make it stop. :)
    You'll be the one regretting your Remain vote.

I will be happy with mine.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,950
    rcs1000 said:

Ha, ha. That sounds more like the response I got at the Remain street stall the other day!!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Takes more than that to shift Betfair!!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    MP_SE said:

This is truly horrible.

I have done no work for 2 hours, other than literally shuffling papers across the desk.

No wonder productivity numbers are so weak...
  • Options
    If you think this is tense, wait until a week on Wednesday, where I think we might get around 8 EURef polls in one go.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977

If you think this is tense, wait until a week on Wednesday, where I think we might get around 8 EURef polls in one go.

Bleeding 'eck.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

:wink:
  • Options

I might go into hypersleep until 23rd.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,045
    SeanT said:

PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

I hate this "we just want our country back" meme.

AA Gill in The Times

Wanting the country back is the constant mantra of all the outies. Farage slurs it, Gove insinuates it. Of course I know what they mean. We all know what they mean. They mean back from Johnny Foreigner, back from the brink, back from the future, back-to-back, back to bosky hedges and dry stone walls and country lanes and church bells and warm beer and skittles and football rattles and cheery banter and clogs on cobbles. Back to vicars-and-tarts parties and Carry On fart jokes, back to Elgar and fudge and proper weather and herbaceous borders and cars called Morris. Back to victoria sponge and 22 yards to a wicket and 15 hands to a horse and 3ft to a yard and four fingers in a Kit Kat, back to gooseberries not avocados, back to deference and respect, to make do and mend and smiling bravely and biting your lip and suffering in silence and patronising foreigners with pity.

We all know what “getting our country back” means. It’s snorting a line of the most pernicious and debilitating Little English drug, nostalgia. The warm, crumbly, honey-coloured, collective “yesterday” with its fond belief that everything was better back then, that Britain (England, really) is a worse place now than it was at some foggy point in the past where we achieved peak Blighty. It’s the knowledge that the best of us have been and gone, that nothing we can build will be as lovely as a National Trust Georgian country house, no art will be as good as a Turner, no poem as wonderful as If, no writer a touch on Shakespeare or Dickens, nothing will grow as lovely as a cottage garden, no hero greater than Nelson, no politician better than Churchill, no view more throat-catching than the White Cliffs and that we will never manufacture anything as great as a Rolls-Royce or Flying Scotsman again.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aa-gill-argues-the-case-against-brexit-kmnp83zrt?shareToken=825855a5aa4073592be7878163b29905
    This is the same A A Gill (a Scotsman with a grievance) who wrote an ENTIRE BOOK about the awfulness of the English, "red faced blimps, like screaming toddlers, no one will miss them when their country has gone" - it was nauseating

He's a weird horrible man. I know many people that know him and loathe him. Ignore.
    He also shot a baboon IIRC - just to see how it felt.
    He's an excellent prose stylist. But beyond restaurant criticism I wouldn't pay tuppence for his opinions, he is a paranoid hater by nature, bristling with contempt, especially for the English.

Ex smack addict, too.

Isn't he actually an Englishman pretending to be a Scot?

• Options

I might go into hypersleep until 23rd.
    Be sure to set the year :)
  • Options
    What are ICM playing at? Have they been told not to release figures while London traders are at their desks?

Obviously FX markets are 24/7, but GBPUSD liquidity will dwindle as London goes home.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The challenge now will be to squeeze the don't knows and get near 90%.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Opinium for the Express

39% Leave
    13% Leave and EFTA
    33% Remain

Only regions favouring remain over Micky Flanagan Leave (out-out) were London, Scotland and NI.
  • Options
    Some chap on a train told me to buy LinkedIn stock a while back - was young and clued up.

Did I buy it ?

Did I heck D;
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Mortimer said:

MP_SE said:

This is truly horrible.

I have done no work for 2 hours, other than literally shuffling papers across the desk.

Lol.

I have sent 18 emails since 8am. I think it safe to say Monday has been a complete write off.
  • Options
    Curse me for being in France and not being able to bet.
  • Options
    Incidentally, thanks to everyone saying how unproductive they are.

Even though I'm making gradual rather than swift progress, I feel much better by comparison :)

Mildly miffed the Skyrim remaster appears to be full price, though.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,045
    RoyalBlue said:

What are ICM playing at? Have they been told not to release figures while London traders are at their desks?

Obviously FX markets are 24/7, but GBPUSD liquidity will dwindle as London goes home.

It's the Guardian's poll so presumably the get to release it when it suits them. They'll probably need to do a write-up first.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Normally the phone polls are published on the Guardian website around 3.30pm to 6pm
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    rcs1000 said:

I think you should be banned for ramping - i'm gonna tell your dad! :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mortimer said:

MP_SE said:

This is truly horrible.

To be fair you sell books.

If you weren't shifting paper, I'd be worried!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,052
    #ICM
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    RoyalBlue said:

I agree -- why the delay?

You must surely not tinker with the methodology once the raw data are in (confirmation bias).

So, the algorithm should be ready to go. There is no obvious algorithmic reason for the delay ...
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Opinium for the Express

39% Leave
    13% Leave and EFTA
    33% Remain

It's been discussed. If you read the questions, it was a bit of a push-poll, tbh.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    chestnut said:

Opinium for the Express

39% Leave
    13% Leave and EFTA
    33% Remain

I think that was a bit voodoo.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Mortimer said:

MP_SE said:

This is truly horrible.

Lol.

I have sent 18 emails since 8am. I think it safe to say Monday has been a complete write off.
    I've put off an appointment and wasted time titting about since 11am. And still nothing!
  • Options

Incidentally, thanks to everyone saying how unproductive they are.

Even though I'm making gradual rather than swift progress, I feel much better by comparison :)

Mildly miffed the Skyrim remaster appears to be full price, though.

I heard that if you had the base game + all DLC, you'd get it for free.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

It's the Guardian's poll so presumably the get to release it when it suits them. They'll probably need to do a write-up first.

Given the Grauniad's financial state I'd have thought they'd be buying/selling sterling and/or backing/laying leave on Betfair before a "release".
  • Options
    I agree with TSE

TSE
    1m
    TSE‏ @TSEofPB
    Staring intently at @guardian_clark twitter feed for that ICM poll. It is days like this I wish I wasn't interested in politics or betting.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

on what?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,523
    Yer da's gone to the dancin' again.

https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/742365193448095744

• Options

on what?
    The referendum, I'm feeling ballsy, I'd start laying Leave at something like 4.5*

*Probably more like 3.11
  • Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who's wasted the day thanks to ICM/the Guardian.

10 more sleeps until 23 June...
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

I agree -- why the delay?

You must surely not tinker with the methodology once the raw data are in (confirmation bias).

So, the algorithm should be ready to go. There is no obvious algorithmic reason for the delay ...
    The endless fiddling with weightings aren't helping any of us. There's no consistency or easy comparisons.

As another said FPT, I hope the BPC do set some standards - we're all over the place.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

Opinium for the Express

39% Leave
    13% Leave and EFTA
    33% Remain

It's been discussed. If you read the questions, it was a bit of a push-poll, tbh.
    I'd interpret that as 54 LEAVE 46 REMAIN (Strip out the middle)
  • Options

FF43 said:

But the raison d'etre of EFTA is access to the EEA of which the EU is the dominant part. If the EU doesn't like that arrangement it can, over time, make sure it doesn't go on that way.
    No it can't. The EEA agreement is bound by treaty. Unless they want to break the treaty entirely there is really nothing they can do about it.
  • Options

Yer da's gone to the dancin' again.

ttps://twitter.com/DamCou/status/742365193448095744

That's a superb screen grab! :lol:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

Mortimer said:

MP_SE said:

This is truly horrible.

Lol.

I've made one phone call, and taken delivery of an iPhone i lost in France last month.

And that's it.

This referendum is killing my career.
    Well done on slipping a 70s pop reference into that post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_France

• Options
    I blame Morris - he told us to expect the ICM poll at 12.30pm.
This discussion has been closed.