Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cyclefree on What Do They Mean By That?

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,906
    RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

My neighbour in my block showed me a leaflet that he'd had labelled OFFICIAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE REFERENDUM ON 23 JUNE 2016, subtitled Referendum Communication, with his name and address printed on it to look like the polling card. "Is this really official as when I read through it, it seems to be from vote Leave?" I said no, it looked like a trick. He was indignant: said he'd not been planning to vote at all as he didn't really care, but "fuck'em, I'll vote Remain, I won't be treated as an idiot." I asked if I could have the leaflet as I knew people who would be interested.

This does seem to me sleazy. Is it legal to represent a view as "Official Information"?

Incidentally, I haven't had one, though I've not been canvassed - I wonder what the selection criterion is.

Remain had a 9 million quid 'offical' propaganda piece through every door so boo hoo.

On our leaflets - and of interest to those who a few weeks ago were slagging-off the Leave campaign - these were clearly prepared well in advance.

1, Which way to vote for undecideds.
    2, The facts - the 'offical' one you mention - Vote Leave official.
    3. Labour Leave - we use these in Labour areas natch. We have a local Tory councillor who loves giving these out.
    4. 5 Positive reasons to vote leave - number 1 NHS NHS NHS
    5. NHS

With more to come as we get closer..
    Is the leaflet this one?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/vote-leave-deception-eu-referendum_uk_5703b56ee4b0c5bd919bc05e

Doesn't look anything like a polling card, and it even has vote leave's logo on the front :D
    I don't think more than a tiny proportion of the population would be able to identify Vote Leave's logo on sight.

My bad, we've clarified that the article I linked was for an earlier leaflet. The images I am seeing of the current leaflet include a map of future enlargement of the EU. What polling card that you have seen includes maps?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ckq6PJwW0AAvLMP.jpg
    Remain might be able to lay their hands on some old "Protect and Survive" leaflets they could use to frighten the voters. 'If Leave wins, make a shelter in your understairs cupboard.'
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039

Does anyone know when the polls are out?

Opinium is usually anytime from now to around 9pm. YouGov tends to be later (after 10pm)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

PS I know i'm probably carried away. Any Leaver out there who had the day we just did would be too. For as long as it lasts i'm going to enjoy it.

Ride the wave all the way to the beach - it'll be a long time before we do this again. Or if not - I'm making placards.
    In the absence of being able to do that figuratively in the way you lucky chaps are in the UK, today I settled for trying to do that literally, I am probably a bit on the old side for surfing at 48, but given that I living 10 minutes walk from some of the best surf in the world I figured I better get off my arse and go and give it a go :D
    My dear chap, are you sure that is wise? My last quack told me that gentlemen of, ahem, a certain age who take up an active sport for the first time are far more likely to do themselves harm harm good. "Swim gently if you must and can stand the boredom", he said, "but your best bet is to pick a pub about five miles away and walk there for lunch and back afterwards".
    I think the novelty is going to wear off quite fast. I actually follow half that prescription, I often swim across the bay from my house which is about half a mile to a very agreeable beach side bar, have a swift beer, then a gentle stroll back to the house. Its tough, but someone has to do it ;)
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    GIN1138 said:

Does anyone know when the polls are out?

Opinium is usually anytime from now to around 9pm. YouGov tends to be later (after 10pm)
    Many thanks. I wonder if the trend to leave will continue.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Whoever wins needs to recognise the country is deeply split on this issue. Anyone ruling for 50.01% of the population is doing this country a great disservice.

Yes,Mr Smithson. And the present government is ruling with the support of under 25% of the registered voters. So that would be a very great disservice indeed.
    If you don't vote you don't deserve to be counted when considering such things as percentage support.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,578
    edited June 2016

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Whoever wins needs to recognise the country is deeply split on this issue. Anyone ruling for 50.01% of the population is doing this country a great disservice.

Yes,Mr Smithson. And the present government is ruling with the support of under 25% of the registered voters. So that would be a very great disservice indeed.
    If you don't vote you don't deserve to be counted when considering such things as percentage support.
    Has any government achieved support of 50% of all registered electors if we were to include those who don't turn out? Who have to have been awhile ago. Another reason condemning this government on that basis is silly.

As one of the fewer than 7% of voters who turned out to vote LD in the 2014 Euros, mostly out of sympathy, such talk puts me off doing it again.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,109

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

My neighbour in my block showed me a leaflet that he'd had labelled OFFICIAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE REFERENDUM ON 23 JUNE 2016, subtitled Referendum Communication, with his name and address printed on it to look like the polling card. "Is this really official as when I read through it, it seems to be from vote Leave?" I said no, it looked like a trick. He was indignant: said he'd not been planning to vote at all as he didn't really care, but "fuck'em, I'll vote Remain, I won't be treated as an idiot." I asked if I could have the leaflet as I knew people who would be interested.

This does seem to me sleazy. Is it legal to represent a view as "Official Information"?

Incidentally, I haven't had one, though I've not been canvassed - I wonder what the selection criterion is.

Remain had a 9 million quid 'offical' propaganda piece through every door so boo hoo.

On our leaflets - and of interest to those who a few weeks ago were slagging-off the Leave campaign - these were clearly prepared well in advance.

3. Labour Leave - we use these in Labour areas natch. We have a local Tory councillor who loves giving these out.
    5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/vote-leave-deception-eu-referendum_uk_5703b56ee4b0c5bd919bc05e

Doesn't look anything like a polling card, and it even has vote leave's logo on the front :D
    I don't think more than a tiny proportion of the population would be able to identify Vote Leave's logo on sight.

My bad, we've clarified that the article I linked was for an earlier leaflet. The images I am seeing of the current leaflet include a map of future enlargement of the EU. What polling card that you have seen includes maps?

Remain might be able to lay their hands on some old "Protect and Survive" leaflets they could use to frighten the voters. 'If Leave wins, make a shelter in your understairs cupboard.'
    Instead of an air attack warning, it'll be a vote-leave-has-won warning. :D
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,038

@Southam Observer

"I imagine there'd be a landslide for Leave if after a Remain vote the EU thought that was a vote for more Europe. There are very few ardent Europeans in the UK."

A landslide in what election? With the leadership all three major parties firmly parked in the EU camp, how do we get another vote if we get screwed over this time?

I imagine the Tories will have a very Eurosceptic leadership by the time of the next GE. And if voters feel strongly enough there is always UKIP.

• Options
    kle4 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Has any government achieved support of 50% of all registered electors if we were to include those who don't turn out? Who have to have been awhile ago.
    You need a Grand Coalition for that I reckon.

So Germany might have achieved it.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

@Southam Observer

"I imagine there'd be a landslide for Leave if after a Remain vote the EU thought that was a vote for more Europe. There are very few ardent Europeans in the UK."

A landslide in what election? With the leadership all three major parties firmly parked in the EU camp, how do we get another vote if we get screwed over this time?

That's the EU way of doing things.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Has any government achieved support of 50% of all registered electors if we were to include those who don't turn out? Who have to have been awhile ago.

UK National Government?

Yep, in '31 it won 67.2% of the vote.... ah crap, I'm forgetting turnout :D

Edit2: Turnout of 76.4%, so 51.3% of registered electors!
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

UK National Government?

And weren't they popular!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,504

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Chirac got 82% of the vote in 2002 which was surely a majority of electors.

• Options

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Not really the government though.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Eh voila

http://youtu.be/m6U9T3R3EQg
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

PS I know i'm probably carried away. Any Leaver out there who had the day we just did would be too. For as long as it lasts i'm going to enjoy it.

Ride the wave all the way to the beach - it'll be a long time before we do this again. Or if not - I'm making placards.
    In the absence of being able to do that figuratively in the way you lucky chaps are in the UK, today I settled for trying to do that literally, I am probably a bit on the old side for surfing at 48, but given that I living 10 minutes walk from some of the best surf in the world I figured I better get off my arse and go and give it a go :D
    My dear chap, are you sure that is wise? My last quack told me that gentlemen of, ahem, a certain age who take up an active sport for the first time are far more likely to do themselves harm harm good. "Swim gently if you must and can stand the boredom", he said, "but your best bet is to pick a pub about five miles away and walk there for lunch and back afterwards".
    Eminently sensible Mr L,

He was a very wise and gentle physician, alas now retired. He quite literally saved my life once, probably twice, but on the other hand didn't believe the job of the medical profession was to extend life regardless of its quality.

With the boy I have now as my GP I have to spend time searching the internet to check what he is telling me. I caught him out once over a medication he wanted me to start taking. It wasn't difficult - some other quack had me taking the same stuff years ago and it caused me all sorts of grief, all in the notes but the boy doesn't seem to read those.

I have a theory that lower life expectancy amongst the "lower orders" is due not so much to lifestyle but to believing what their GPs tell them and not feeling empowered to challenge crap advice. I also have a sneaking suspicion that of those GPs who are prepared to take a job in a shitty area are, well, shall we say below par.
    Like your good self I tend to take quacks with a pinch of salt.

basically they're just guessing most of the time, educated experienced guesses of course but guesses nonetheless.
    Interesting thought there Mr. Brooke, for probably 90% of GP visits it would probably be possible to programme a computer to dispense exactly the same advice/treatment/referral that a GP does (and you might just get patients to give more honest answers, "How much do you drink?"). It is that last 10% that is the bugger.
  • Options

@Southam Observer

Implying that while the population would become more anti-EU due to their actions, there would be zero change in the position of MPs, which I find a bit nonsensical.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

But wrong type of election.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

UK National Government?

So we've had one acceptable government in 85 years according to the PClipp method. All others were automatically a disservice, regardless of any achievements, as they had no legitimacy.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Every polling card I've ever had has had a map...
  • Options

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

In any case, it's an improvement on the 2010-15 government, which had the explicit support of zero percent of the electorate.
  • Options

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Touche, but a map of Europe? ;)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,661
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Eh voila

Perhaps a tactical showing of 'Threads' on the 22nd?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242

Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Eminently sensible Mr L,

He was a very wise and gentle physician, alas now retired. He quite literally saved my life once, probably twice, but on the other hand didn't believe the job of the medical profession was to extend life regardless of its quality.

With the boy I have now as my GP I have to spend time searching the internet to check what he is telling me. I caught him out once over a medication he wanted me to start taking. It wasn't difficult - some other quack had me taking the same stuff years ago and it caused me all sorts of grief, all in the notes but the boy doesn't seem to read those.

I have a theory that lower life expectancy amongst the "lower orders" is due not so much to lifestyle but to believing what their GPs tell them and not feeling empowered to challenge crap advice. I also have a sneaking suspicion that of those GPs who are prepared to take a job in a shitty area are, well, shall we say below par.

basically they're just guessing most of the time, educated experienced guesses of course but guesses nonetheless.
    The old adage: that if you see a doctor he will get you back on your feet in seven days, but if you don't see him you'll take a week to recover.....
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Eh voila

REMAIN broadcast on 22 June:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHoMSRZOS4
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Eh voila

youtu.be/m6U9T3R3EQg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHoMSRZOS4
    I assume WW3 is starting against our European neigbours? Pre-emptive strike on France's nuclear capability ought to mitigate the risk of such an event occurring :)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

I've had a bilingual leaflet popped through the letter box, with the same map on the last page.

It's quite Wales-centric, which is nice, but I can't say I care for the approach.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Eh voila

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHoMSRZOS4
    Shamelessly ripped and posted to twiter as a leaked broadcast for the 22nd by BSE :)
  • Options
    Remember Remain telling us that what happened in Germany won't happen here...

"Three Syrian men have appeared in court accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in a park in Newcastle.
    Omar Badreddin, 18, Mohammed Alfrouh, 20, and Mohammad Allakkoud, 18, have pleaded not guilty.
    A 16-year-old-boy, understood to be Syrian, has also been charged with sexual assault."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36507138

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,806

Indigo said:

PlatoSaid said:

Eminently sensible Mr L,

The old adage: that if you see a doctor he will get you back on your feet in seven days, but if you don't see him you'll take a week to recover.....
    History has not been kind to Doctors. Medical pioneers, yes. General choppers, leech users, bleeders, antibiotics overusers, now anti-depressant pushers, not so much. Ongoing pattern of failure to treat the whole patient, treating symptoms not causes, and arrogantly pushing the latest in thing on people. The current crop will be seen in much the same light.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Eh voila

youtu.be/m6U9T3R3EQg

I assume WW3 is starting against our European neigbours? Pre-emptive strike on France's nuclear capability ought to mitigate the risk of such an event occurring :)
    Just attack France at the weekend. Or a public holiday. Or simply during August. ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

alex. said:

RobD said:

5. NHS

Is the leaflet this one?

Eh voila

youtu.be/m6U9T3R3EQg

Just attack France at the weekend. Or a public holiday. Or simply during August. ;)
    Or indeed during a strike which surely covers the rest of the time.... So that then becomes (once simplified) just attack France...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36506957

'Iranian nationals' rescued in English Channel
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It's one heck of a boat journey from Kish to Dover.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

France need to up their game!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @whatukthinks: Latest @OpiniumResearch Observer #euref poll. Remain 43 (+1), Leave 41 (+1). DK etc 15 (-1). Fwork 7-10.6 https://t.co/QFOPJ0u52f
  • Options
    Huh, one of the more bizarre stories I've seen in awhile

Scores of posters have appeared around the UK warning of "legal name fraud". What does this mean and who is paying for the adverts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36499750
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@whatukthinks: Latest @OpiniumResearch Observer #euref poll. Remain 43 (+1), Leave 41 (+1). DK etc 15 (-1). Fwork 7-10.6 https://t.co/QFOPJ0u52f

Once don't knows are taken out that looks like no change from this:
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/741599839931142148

It will be interesting to see what YouGov says.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scores of posters have appeared around the UK warning of "legal name fraud". What does this mean and who is paying for the adverts

I literally just clicked on that too, from the Channel story. Bizzare
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's a theory that turns up on internet forums from time to time.

Apparently if you insist the law doesn't apply to you, you get to walk out of court scot free, I sh*t you not.

Why it isn't done more often I don't know as it would save a fortune in legal bills.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    Scott_P said:

Should steady some nerves.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Remain will be relieved with that. I thought we'd see a move to Leave with both of tonight's polls.
  • Options
    Leave 8 ahead on Opinium before they start weighting and 4.5 ahead on 10/10.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Good showing from Wales!

It foes feel a bit naughty that Britain gets three shots at the title ;)
  • Options
    If anyone's looking for some light historical reading this from Bernard Donoughue diary in 1996 contains some interesting items. Royalty on Murdoch. Major's ruthlessness, Harold Wilson dementia signs in 1971 (51yrs old), Queen mum anti-EU...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3636240/House-Cads-40-years-Bernard-Donoughue-heart-politics-kept-secret-diary-Wickedly-mischievous-terrifyingly-candid-lay-bare-foibles-vanities-rule-us.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,771
    kle4 said:

I heard this stuff pushed before, where people claim that they can't be fined for stuff because the legal documents are in the "legal name" which they didn't agree to and they only want to live by common law etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    LEAVE = WALES!
    REMAIN = SLOVAKIA!

:)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027
    edited June 2016
    Opinium poll

Remain 44 (+1)

Leave 42 (+1)

Fieldwork 7th June - 10th June

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-7th-june-2016
  • Options
    Well done Wales!
  • Options

Opinium poll

Remain 43 (nc)

Leave 41 (nc)

Oh!
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    The Yougov will have Leave ahead then.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

These pollsters really are just trolling us aren't they.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    chestnut said:

Unweighted they have 15% UKIP, weighted they have knocked UKIP down to 11.5% which seems a bit much to me.
  • Options
    Lib Dems on 4% on national VI.

Con 35 Lab 32 UKIP 18 SNP 6 Grn 4 LD 4
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,987
    GIN1138 said:

Opinium poll

Remain 43 (nc)

Leave 41 (nc)

Oh!
    Reckon it's probably evens at the moment. Too close to call
  • Options

kle4 said:

I heard this stuff pushed before, where people claim that they can't be fined for stuff because the legal documents are in the "legal name" which they didn't agree to and they only want to live by common law etc etc etc.
    I love when people try the 'you don't have authority to charge me' type defences, because they don't accept a court has any legitimacy to charge them for whatever reason, which, shockingly, doesn't generally cut much weight with the court. I call it the King Charles I defence, but this legal name stuff takes it in an extreme new direction.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Is this also Opinium?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Is this also Opinium?
    Yes.

The publish VI using 10/10 numbers. They don't seem to with referendum numbers.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189

"Three Syrian men have appeared in court accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in a park in Newcastle.
    Omar Badreddin, 18, Mohammed Alfrouh, 20, and Mohammad Allakkoud, 18, have pleaded not guilty.
    A 16-year-old-boy, understood to be Syrian, has also been charged with sexual assault."

It was on newsnight last night. One of the families Newsnight were featuring on their journey to UK after being given asylum under Cameron's 20,000 scheme, Omar Badreddin is the son of the family in question. Shocking really.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,943
    GIN1138 said:

Opinium poll

Remain 43 (nc)

Leave 41 (nc)

Oh!
    Clearly didn't poll where I was campaigning today.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Is this also Opinium?
    Yes.

Out of interest what are the numbers with 10/10 for referendum?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Opinium poll

Remain 43 (nc)

Leave 41 (nc)

Oh!
    Do tell.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    pinkrose said:

It was on newsnight last night. One of the families Newsnight were featuring on their journey to UK after being given asylum under Cameron's 20,000 scheme, Omar Badreddin is the son of the family in question. Shocking really.
    On some levels it isn't.

If you bring 20,000 people from anywhere to anywhere, some are bound to be criminals.

That said this sort of behaviour would be less likely in Syria because a family feud would start and also because you are less likely to see an un accompanied woman about.

Clearly this migration isn't well thought out.
  • Options
    New @OpiniumResearch Westminster VI

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)
  • Options

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)

Lib Dems officially at what used to be "asterisk" level.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189

pinkrose said:

On some levels it isn't.

If you bring 20,000 people from anywhere to anywhere, some are bound to be criminals.

That said this sort of behaviour would be less likely in Syria because a family feud would start and also because you are less likely to see an un accompanied woman about.

I meant shocking as in he seemed so nice on the Newsnight report which followed their journey to the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458

Opinium poll

Remain 44 (+1)

Leave 42 (+1)

So 51% 49% Remain excluding don't knows
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)

I suppose this is what happens when most people think your leader is named Fallon.
  • Options
    I won't be doing the next thread until the YouGov comes out.
  • Options
    On topic, I'm probably somewhere between 2,3,4
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

If anyone's looking for some light historical reading this from Bernard Donoughue diary in 1996 contains some interesting items. Royalty on Murdoch. Major's ruthlessness, Harold Wilson dementia signs in 1971 (51yrs old), Queen mum anti-EU...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3636240/House-Cads-40-years-Bernard-Donoughue-heart-politics-kept-secret-diary-Wickedly-mischievous-terrifyingly-candid-lay-bare-foibles-vanities-rule-us.html

A terrific time at Newbury races, but our horse Kings Witness played up terribly before its race. I've never liked the look in his eye. A bit like Tony Benn, a look that suggests he isn't to be trusted.

If any pb-ers are at Royal Ascot during the week, perhaps they will keep us updated with which horses look like which politicians. It might prove more fruitful than my usual form book study.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

To go behind the SNP in a GB-wide poll is, well, time to give up.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Danny565 said:

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)

I thought asterisk level would be sub-1%?

They're sure within what would have been the Others category and don't deserve to be individually named though.
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    edited June 2016
    DanSmith said:

chestnut said:

Unweighted they have 15% UKIP, weighted they have knocked UKIP down to 11.5% which seems a bit much to me.
    The leave lead evaporates with their new Social attitudes re-weighting which was introduced last week. The Observer last week reported the result without this tweak and completely ignored the changes, be interesting if they do the same tonight.
    Pollsters are just making it up as they go along to herd to the same results.
    Online tweaking to decrease Leave, Phone tweaking to decrease remain.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Opinium poll

Remain 43 (nc)

Leave 41 (nc)

Oh!
    Do tell.
    Notts. Huge numbers of Leavers, mainly it has to be said people over 60. Very angry and passionate about it. They will be voting, indeed many had by post.

Almost a fight next to our stall as two blokes, one Leave, one Remain, went at it hammer and tongs over whether it would wreck small businesses and trade to leave. Passions are rising.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited June 2016

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)

So about a 2% swing from Tory to UKIP since the last election, 3% LD to UKIP and 1% LD to Labour
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

chestnut said:

Danny565 said:

chestnut said:

Is this also Opinium?
    Yes.

Out of interest what are the numbers with 10/10 for referendum?
    Leave 52 Remain 48
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Danny565 said:

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)

If a Lib Den shouts in a forest but there is no one to hear them, do they really exist?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @WhiteWednesday: Significant new opinion poll to be published in The Sunday Telegraph..... #EUref
  • Options
    Looks like another winning tip for Morris Dancer :)
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

pinkrose said:

On some levels it isn't.

I meant shocking as in he seemed so nice on the Newsnight report which followed their journey to the UK.
    Well, what were you expecting? I suspect he's been told women are lose etc here, and just assumed it was on offer. You'd be surprised what people think other places are like.

If someone had told him none of that is true and what is more if you misbehave you'd go to prison he probably wouldn't have done it.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited June 2016
    DanSmith said:

chestnut said:

Also - Opinium changed their methodology last time, remember. This time they have split the over 34 bands from 2 into 4. They seem to have actually upgraded UKIP a bit.
  • Options
    Sheffield people, HARD AS FOOKING NAILS

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/741694877788999680
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,771

Hope they get out alive...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@WhiteWednesday: Significant new opinion poll to be published in The Sunday Telegraph..... #EUref

We've been fooled by hyped polls before....
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

Tonight's polls will be interesting, possibly very interesting.
    Should we reach a point where it appears likely that the vote is likely to be for LEAVE (we're still a very long way from that position judging by the betting markets), can we expect Cameron to make a final personal televised appeal to the British people, say a couple of days before polling day? Would he even allowed to do so under the terms of the two sides supposedly having equal access to the media?

TBH - would that help? It would portray weakness and I can't bear watching grown-up men cry.
    A televised appeal by Chretien in Quebec in 1995 helped No scrape home
    I assume he was liked as much then as Mr Cameron is today. Not to mention that there would be problems in respect of fairness of media courage - however I am sure the BBC could show 4 minutes of boring Leave campaigning immediately afterwards.
    NO! That wouldn't wash at all - if Cameron gets to make a last minute "heartfelt" TV appeal, then the LEAVE contingent must be allowed exactly the same access with content of their choosing.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Opinium poll

Remain 43 (nc)

Leave 41 (nc)

Oh!
    Do tell.
    Notts. Huge numbers of Leavers, mainly it has to be said people over 60. Very angry and passionate about it. They will be voting, indeed many had by post.

Almost a fight next to our stall as two blokes, one Leave, one Remain, went at it hammer and tongs over whether it would wreck small businesses and trade to leave. Passions are rising.
    Central or outskirts of the city?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I see the European teams are doing well in the football. Wonder what this does for the Euref?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    David Davies MP (the other one) was manning the Vote Leave stand in Monmouth today, right next to Stronger in. He appeared to be doing a roaring trade, with no one with the Remainers.

Could have been his star power of course. Sadly, I was on a mission and couldn't stop.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2016
    Looking at the Opinium tables the figures for England are Remain 44 Leave 42 with Scotland having Remain 41 Leave 39. Wales has Remain 44 Leave 46.
    Prima facie those figures look a bit odd! Surely Scotland would break much more firmly for Remain than that?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    MTimT said:

I see the European teams are doing well in the football. Wonder what this does for the Euref?

One hopes they'll throw the tournament to butter us up. :D
  • Options

The Russian fans? Me too
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hmmmm.... ICM used to work with the SunTele? Maybe the ICM wisdom thing?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The Russian fans? Me too
    Yeah. Sneaky B'stards those Sheffield fans, there's probably two of 'em.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,964
    I really don't know what to make of the polls. I was expecting Remain to have a comfortable lead by this point but apparently it's TCTC. A large chunk of me says the pollsters don't quite know how to measure opinion on EUref and the true state of opinion could be anything.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)

So about a 2% swing from Tory to UKIP since the last election, 3% LD to UKIP and 1% LD to Labour
    And a 1.8% swing from Tory to Labour.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Danny565 said:

Con 35% (+1)

Lab 32 % (+2)

LD 4 (-2) (Yes Four)

UKIP 18% (nc)

Greens 4% (nc)

If a Lib Den shouts in a forest but there is no one to hear them, do they really exist?
    Did they ever exist? I'm not sure anymore?

What are we even talking about?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

GIN1138 said:

Opinium poll

Remain 43 (nc)

Leave 41 (nc)

Oh!
    Do tell.

Central or outskirts of the city?
    Outskirts. Definitely a split between white, old school working class, especially, say 55+, but sometimes also youngsters, who were all Leave and others who were mainly Remain. No surprises I suppose.

I'm Remain, but by 1 oclock I had given up approaching any blokes over about 50 as it was a waste of time and sometimes was a little unpleasant.

Still, we'll be back next week.

I must be mad.
This discussion has been closed.