Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Hillary Clinton wins a majority of pledged delegates but Sa

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189

Very interesting piece by Andy White formerly of ComRes

Brussels, immigrants, sovereignty has not been a winning trifecta at any previous British election.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/08/trust-opinion-polls-eu-referendum-2015-general-election-pollsters

This is not an election. It is a Referendum. It is a one-off chance to knee the Establishment in the groin without having five years of Buyers Remorse.

Have you not understood that yet?

If that really is why people are going to vote Leave they are going to be so hugely disappointed.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    PAW said:

Article in the Guardian on voters in Sunderland - Kevin is voting to leave - "Someone needs to buy Kevin a pint and explain the facts of economic and political life to him". I would pay money to watch.

Ugh, you can almost hear the great and the good at the Guardian patting the working class patronisingly on the head.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

We can conclude from the last minute extension of the voting registration deadline, as well as other moves this week from Remain and the PM, that the Remain camp are concerned this vote is going to be extremely close.

Bet accordingly.

All the signs tell me that REMAIN now believe they are going to lose.

I don't think they will lose, but they have the look of defeat in their sunken eyes.
    As opposed to the glitter of rabid paranoia in the eyes of many Leavers this afternoon?
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/739207060286504960
    Very good....but seriously some of this lunacy is very off putting to people who might be minded to vote Leave. Really some of you are like Death Eaters accusing anyone from Remain of being or consorting with mud bloods. (Obviously Dave is Dumbledore).
    Nah. Dave is Voldemort
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

As opposed to the glitter of rabid paranoia in the eyes of many Leavers this afternoon?

Not paranoid...

@henrymance: Leave.EU is considering legal action over extension of registration deadline. Source says gov has unfairly focused on younger voters.
    Funny. There were elections all over the UK in April. What exactly is wrong with using that roll?
    There were a few local by-elections in April.

But I think you mean the proper ones on May 5th.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    GIN1138 said:

We can conclude from the last minute extension of the voting registration deadline, as well as other moves this week from Remain and the PM, that the Remain camp are concerned this vote is going to be extremely close.

Bet accordingly.

REMAIN very, very desperate and clinging to anything that will save their skins (and jobs)
    Including changing the rules of the game 20 minutes from time!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

I don't think they will lose, but they have the look of defeat in their sunken eyes.
    Mr. T., there was that feeling on here the morning after Cameron's first TV interview. I commented on at it the time. The stuffing seemed to have gone from the supporters of remain on this site. I didn't understand it then and I am not sure I do now, but I note several prominent remainers on here have since seemingly given up.

If this site is in anyway reflective of the wider electorate, even at second or third order of differential then maybe, just maybe there might be cautious grounds for some optimism that Leave can actually win.

Either way, I suspect that we are in for a period of great political turmoil, and the smug elites will not hold such sway again.
    Perhaps the Remainers on this site have been won over by the intellectual arguments presented by the Leavers.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,287
    A parting comment - let's see if Ozzy can give a near-perfect interview with Neil this evening.
  • Options
    I dont think a legal challenge will get very far but if Remain just win it after first the bias leaflets and now this I fesr for civil cohesion. At best the tories and lwbour will suffer south of the border like Laboue suffered north of the border after indyref.

Remaun are playing straight out of the Zanu PF book.

That said I suspect that 90% of those registering since Monday are actually already on it and dont realise it.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,717
    notme said:

Danny565 said:

RoyalBlue said:

So Jeremy Corbyn is going to answer live audience questions on TV three days before the referendum.

That's one way to ensure a Leave vote.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-to-make-live-televised-eu-referendum-intervention-three-days-before-polling-day-a7070921.html

According to YouGov, he is more of a vote-winner on the EU than Cameron is.
    Is he going to say why he thinks the forced privatisation of utility and public transport companies across the EU is a good thing?
    Or explain how his claimed plans to change the entire political direction of the EU, the treaties and the and bureaucracy and judiciary that underpin it, are anything other than wishful thinking.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

@henrymance: Leave.EU is considering legal action over extension of registration deadline. Source says gov has unfairly focused on younger voters.
    Funny. There were elections all over the UK in April. What exactly is wrong with using that roll?

Gosh, that recent.

Again, why the fuss?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

GIN1138 said:

Bet accordingly.

REMAIN very, very desperate and clinging to anything that will save their skins (and jobs)
    Including changing the rules of the game 20 minutes from time!
    Afteroon Bilge!

Well, if Lord Hayward's research is correct a surprising number of these younger voters might be for LEAVE...

Cameron had better pull the plug on the voter registration site soon.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Very good....but seriously some of this lunacy is very off putting to people who might be minded to vote Leave. Really some of you are like Death Eaters accusing anyone from Remain of being or consorting with mud bloods. (Obviously Dave is Dumbledore).
    Nah. Dave is Voldemort
    Thought you might think that!!
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

A parting comment - let's see if Ozzy can give a near-perfect interview with Neil this evening.

He'll be given soft-ball questions to smash at Leavers.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189

Bet accordingly.

I am all over a Leave vote from a betting perspective and will clean up big time on 24th June, but isn't voter registration being extended because the Electoral Commission recommended it?

• Options
    Indigo said:

PAW said:

Article in the Guardian on voters in Sunderland - Kevin is voting to leave - "Someone needs to buy Kevin a pint and explain the facts of economic and political life to him". I would pay money to watch.

Ugh, you can almost hear the great and the good at the Guardian patting the working class patronisingly on the head.
    Isn't buying someone's vote for a pint a criminal offence under ROPA?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

He'll be given soft-ball questions to smash at Leavers.
    Lord Neil ? ;)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The quietness of Remainers has more to do with the fact that quite a few of them have evidently decided that they have better things to do with their time than hang around somewhere where they routinely get called quislings and traitors by swivel-eyed Leavers.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

Gosh, that recent.

Again, why the fuss?
    Because there weren't local elections everywhere....
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The quietness of Remainers has more to do with the fact that quite a few of them have evidently decided that they have better things to do with their time than hang around somewhere where they routinely get called quislings and traitors by swivel-eyed Leavers.

But you are still toughing it out, allow me to commend your steadfastness to the cause :D I am sure you have never call Leavers "idiots" or "fruitcakes" or is that perfectly acceptable ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Indigo I have never shied away from confrontation. I wouldn't be much of a lawyer if I did.
  • Options
    So, let's make a list of Remain 'cheating':

£9m of taxpayers' money on propaganda
    Consorting with foreign powers
    Passing legislation during the campaign to change the electorate

Any others?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/732785721145188352
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Plaid vote in Wales: Remain 56/Leave 44

A lot closer than I anticipated.

Cardiff in - the rest of Wales out.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/gapliwnrt9/WelshBarometer_June2016_w.pdf
  • Options
    midwinter said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

Gosh, that recent.

Again, why the fuss?
    PCC elections?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,950

I'm loving it. It fortifies my soul when I go out campaigning. Which I'm going to do tonight, again.

The interesting thing is how few PB leavers seem to be out campaigning for Leave.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Blimey, Sharapova gets a two year ban

Seems harsh.
    Nah - she's a propah cheat.

Not so. It's extremely harsh on her. The tribunal noted that she had not deliberately continued taking her meds knowing that they had recently been banned. I'm not sure what cause the judgement serves beyond letting sanctimonious "rules are rules" types have their day in the sun.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

:smiley:
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Gibraltar also has a different constitutional relationship with the UK, than Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Gibraltar is an Overseas Territory (along with your Falklands, Diego Garcia, Bermuda et al.)

Man, Guernsey and Jersey are Crown Dependencies.

Do people in the IoM and Channel Isles get a vote in the referendum then?
  • Options

I'm loving it. It fortifies my soul when I go out campaigning. Which I'm going to do tonight, again.
    Fortifies your soul? :lol:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/735826531289829382
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

Contains people not eligible to vote in the EU ref.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

Stop ruining Vapid Bilge's paranoia
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101

Gibraltar also has a different constitutional relationship with the UK, than Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Gibraltar is an Overseas Territory (along with your Falklands, Diego Garcia, Bermuda et al.)

Channel Islands no - because they are not in the EU (apart from the Customs Union) and are not part of the UK.

If it was an organisation chart, the Channel Islands would report directly to the Queen....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

So what?

EU citizens are marked in the roll.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort
    Actually to be fair I tend to use another epic fantasy tale for my comparisons.

I see Juncker as Sauron in his fastness in Mordor (AKA Brussels)

Dave in that case would be Saruman at Isenguard. A wannabe power who pretends to be friendly to the freedom loving peoples of the West but is actually consorting with the dark Lord in the hope of gaining more power for himself.

Osborne can be Gríma Wormtongue.

Of course Michael Gove has to be Frodo. He even looks like him.

So who else do we have?

Corbyn could be Denethor, alone in his ivory tower, slowly being abandoned by his advisors as he descends into madness.

I see Boris as Boromir (They even have the same first three letters!!!) hoping to get the power for himself.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,928

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

My gut tells me they might.

What if those worried about economic fallout but also very concerned by ongoing high migration just can't bring themselves to turnout and actively cast that vote for Remain to endorse it, whilst the Leavers are more fired up than Mount Vesuvius ?

My head tells me the turnout to some extent will be self-correcting and that the UK (incl. NI and Gibraltar) will conspire to deliver a result of 51% or 52% to Remain.

But I could be wrong and there could be something more visceral going on here.

Dunno.
    Put a gun to most people's heads and they couldn't name one ECJ judgement that they believe has infringed our sovereignty.

But they sure as hell would be able to tell you the immigration numbers.
  • Options

midwinter said:

JohnO said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

Gosh, that recent.

Again, why the fuss?
    PCC elections?
    As you well understand many people wouldn't have bothered to register for those. Hence the derisory turnout
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Bet accordingly.

isn't voter registration being extended because the Electoral Commission recommended it?

As with the Nats - never stand between a LEAVEr and his latest conspiracy......
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort
    Osborne is Wormtail.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

So what?

EU citizens are marked in the roll.
    Hm, then maybe they are using the same one? Still, there has to be a deadline beyond which no one else can register so that polling cards can be issued. Using one from the locals would disenfranchise people who otherwise would be eligible to register in the interim.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

What if those worried about economic fallout but also very concerned by ongoing high migration just can't bring themselves to turnout and actively cast that vote for Remain to endorse it, whilst the Leavers are more fired up than Mount Vesuvius ?

My head tells me the turnout to some extent will be self-correcting and that the UK (incl. NI and Gibraltar) will conspire to deliver a result of 51% or 52% to Remain.

Dunno.
    Put a gun to most people's heads and they couldn't name one ECJ judgement that they believe has infringed our sovereignty.

Votes for prisoners.

They'd also cite Human Rights for terrorists (even though that's far more complicated as it's a function of ECHR v. Charter of Fundamental Rights v. ECJ v. UK's own HRA)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

How did their legal action to stop Farage appearing with Cameron go?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    Yougov: Londoners who think of themselves as either English or British.

78% Leave
    49% Remain
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

If this site is in anyway reflective of the wider electorate, even at second or third order of differential .

it really isn't tho, is it?

still, it does seem close at the moment
    Representative in the first order, I very much doubt it, in fact I sure that it is not - far too many wheel-heeled people who can post in the during the working day for a start. However, once you get into differentials I don't think the picture is so clear cut.

Perhaps this is less true than it was when I first came on here (2007) but we all bring our real-world experience with us when we honestly post on here and we also bring our willingness to bet on our opinions. So from that I think one should be able to get some feeling as to how the wider electorate is going to go (with lots of caveats). Which is more or less what I meant by second and third order differentiation.

Of course some posters are just self-obsessed knobs and one just has to learn to tune them out because their posts are ego trips and not worth reading. One or two other posters would appear to be party clowns, whatever their party come up with they will support, again to be read with discretion. But if you can duck the bullshi, you can find nuggets of pure gold on PB about how the country is feeling. The last GE is a case in point, Ave-It called iy on here hours before the MSM caught up.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Just looking over the archives for April 2015 before the GE, and Ave_It was predicting another 1992- Tories 38% and Labour28% I wonder how right even he thought he was?
    I wonder what he is predicting for the ref?
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort

Dave in that case would be Saruman at Isenguard. A wannabe power who pretends to be friendly to the freedom loving peoples of the West but is actually consorting with the dark Lord in the hope of gaining more power for himself.

So who else do we have?

Corbyn could be Denethor, alone in his ivory tower, slowly being abandoned by his advisors as he descends into madness.

I see Boris as Boromir (They even have the same first three letters!!!) hoping to get the power for himself.
    Excellent...particularly Osborne!!

• Options
    Scott_P said:

No side that expected to win comfortably would have had supporters discussing ways in which Parliament could ignore the result.

(1) Talk of ignoring the result
    (2) Total saturation of Canary Wharf yesterday with adverts to vote Remain
    (3) Cameron pushing a Little England, Greater Britain line
    (4) Last minute press conference by PM
    (5) Pushing out voter registration deadline

So if Remain win by 10-20 points, which nefarious skulduggery will have done it?
    I'm not falling prey to hubris but I don't think that's where we're heading.

If you doubt my sincerity, check my entry into the pb.com competition where I predicted 58/42 to Remain.

Both TSE and the originator of Vapid Bilge had Remain at over 60%
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Yougov: Londoners who think of themselves as either English or British.

78% Leave
    49% Remain

Titter.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The interesting thing is how few PB leavers seem to be out campaigning for Leave.
    Yet we've got you on the RUN
    It's OK, Sean, it's OK

(ok last time I refer to that. promise. perhaps)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort
    Osborne is Wormtail.
    IDS is Gollum....seeking his precious
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort
    Osborne is Wormtail.
    LOL That's very good.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort
    Osborne is Wormtail.
    Ideological Purity......shivering on the Opposition Back Benches........
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Dunno.

Votes for prisoners.

They'd also cite Human Rights for terrorists (even though that's far more complicated as it's a function of ECHR v. Charter of Fundamental Rights v. ECJ v. UK's own HRA)
    QED
  • Options

So let me get this right.

First there was the 9m pound brochure
    Most of the world's great and the good telling us the world would end
    World War 3 "could" happen we are told
    Economic Armageddon "could" happen we are told
    Refugee camps in Kent "could" happen we are told
    Leave have all the unsavory types like Farage
    Remain have all the saints like the ABoC and Obama
    Three months of campaigning with the full force of the civil service
    AND the Leavers can't be bothered to go out and canvass apparently.

That must explain why Remain is 20% ahead in the polls.
  • Options

Gibraltar is in the EU, but Man, Guernsey and Jersey are NOT in the EU.

Seems that isn't a very well known factoid
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

Just looking over the archives for April 2015 before the GE, and Ave_It was predicting another 1992- Tories 38% and Labour28% I wonder how right even he thought he was?
    I wonder what he is predicting for the ref?

Ave_It came out for LEAVE a few nights ago! :open_mouth:

Most important intervention of the campaign, IMO...
  • Options

If this site is in anyway reflective of the wider electorate, even at second or third order of differential .

it really isn't tho, is it?

still, it does seem close at the moment
    Representative in the first order, I very much doubt it, in fact I sure that it is not - far too many wheel-heeled people who can post in the during the working day for a start. However, once you get into differentials I don't think the picture is so clear cut.

Perhaps this is less true than it was when I first came on here (2007) but we all bring our real-world experience with us when we honestly post on here and we also bring our willingness to bet on our opinions. So from that I think one should be able to get some feeling as to how the wider electorate is going to go (with lots of caveats). Which is more or less what I meant by second and third order differentiation.

Of course some posters are just self-obsessed knobs and one just has to learn to tune them out because their posts are ego trips and not worth reading. One or two other posters would appear to be party clowns, whatever their party come up with they will support, again to be read with discretion. But if you can duck the bullshi, you can find nuggets of pure gold on PB about how the country is feeling. The last GE is a case in point, Ave-It called iy on here hours before the MSM caught up.
    A bit like advertising, eh? Which damn 50% is it?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No side that expected to win comfortably would have had supporters discussing ways in which Parliament could ignore the result.

So if Remain win by 10-20 points, which nefarious skulduggery will have done it?

If you doubt my sincerity, check my entry into the pb.com competition where I predicted 58/42 to Remain.

Even if it's a 1% margin of error, extending the deadline was the right thing to do, and probably wont have impacted the result significantly. Disenfranchising people (however undeserving of sympathy) because of a computer error is not the right thing to do. In an ideal work registration would be possible up until polling day itself, or even on polling day.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Is 60% for REMAIN the definition of Vapid Bilge?
  • Options
    What do you call a campaign that claims to be for the voice of the British people, but wants to deny them the opportunity to vote?

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/06/campaign-to-give-the-british-people-a-voice-doesnt-like-the-ideaof-them-registering-to-vote/
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    edited June 2016

Channel Islands no - because they are not in the EU (apart from the Customs Union) and are not part of the UK.

If it was an organisation chart, the Channel Islands would report directly to the Queen....

Emerges boldly from pedant's corner.

The Queen? You mean the Duke of Normandy surely in their case? (Oddly she is the Duke I think and not the Duchess - go figure).
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pew Reseach have found that only 6% of British people want more powers transferred to the EU. It is quite surprising how few people realise that the EU is a political project whose ultimate aim is ever closer union.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

That was Vote Leave
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,070
    edited June 2016
    Jobabob said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

Blimey, Sharapova gets a two year ban

Seems harsh.
    Nah - she's a propah cheat.

Not so. It's extremely harsh on her. The tribunal noted that she had not deliberately continued taking her meds knowing that they had recently been banned. I'm not sure what cause the judgement serves beyond letting sanctimonious "rules are rules" types have their day in the sun.
    Just utter BS....Elite athlete have teams of people constantly reviewing every inch of their life, their meds, etc. The chances of that everybody missed this, lower than Trump receiving the top honour from the Mexican government.

The whole reason this drug got banned was a result into a disproportionate number of Russian athlete taking this drug.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

The Queen? You mean the Duke of Normandy surely in their case? (Oddly she is the Duke I think and not the Duchess - go figure).
    Phallic, er I mean Salic Law
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,679

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort

So who else do we have?

Farage as Gollum, unable to part with "the Precious" (UKIP leadership).
  • Options
    Indigo said:

You are missing out on about 100 other reasons why REMAIN must win according to REMAIN "experts".
    Though we should include "adding more young people to the register".
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Point of order, my prediction was Remain by around 12-15%, which is Remain on tops 57.5%
  • Options

welshowl said:

Phallic, er I mean Salic Law
    Right first time really.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort
    Osborne is Wormtail.
    One poll to rule them all,
    One poll to find them
    One poll to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them
    In the land of Brussels
    Where the shadows lie.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    Not sure if already posted but the Cameron / Farage ITV programme last night averaged 4.1m and peaked at 4.8m (towards the end of Cameron's half).

That is a far higher rating than would have been expected for what was a pretty bland format for people not interested in current affairs.

I think this is another strong pointer towards a high turnout.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Christ, you must come to the UK, living in The Philippines really is distorting your perception of reality.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Christ, you must come to the UK, living in The Philippines really is distorting your perception of reality.
    If I come back and find Britain is not the PB Tory utopia I imagined I will be very disappointed. :(
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yet we've got you on the RUN
    Yes but Leavers do need to start getting off their arse, and start doing something.

With one or two honorable exceptions on here most Leavers are keyboard warriors.
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort

So who else do we have?

No Farage has to be Aragorn. The loner, the ranger, the rightful heir to Minas Tirith who will come again in triumph when the dark lord is defeated.

Or Gollum.

50:50 really

:-)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

What do you call a campaign that claims to be for the voice of the British people, but wants to deny them the opportunity to vote?

Frit...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Indigo said:

If I come back and find Britain is not the PB Tory utopia I imagined I will be very disappointed. :(
    It won't be PB Tory utopia until George Osborne becomes PM.

But come to Yorkshire, that is pure utopia.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pew Reseach have found that only 6% of British people want more powers transferred to the EU. It is quite surprising how few people realise that the EU is a political project whose ultimate aim is ever closer union.

Or that the UK has achieved special status via an opt out from that ever closer union.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Why would I need that when I have PB to faithfully report and comment on the issues of the day, if I looked back on the archive how many of the items on my list do you think I could find even your good self trumpeting in these hallowed pages ?
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort

So who else do we have?

No Farage has to be Aragorn. The loner, the ranger, the rightful heir to Minas Tirith who will come again in triumph when the dark lord is defeated.

Or Gollum.

Isn't that the goat ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Point of order, my prediction was Remain by around 12-15%, which is Remain on tops 57.5%
    That's your prediction now, it wasn't then.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

Or that the UK has achieved special status via an opt out from that ever closer union.
    How many of the British public do you figure are aware of that detail ?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort

So who else do we have?

Or Gollum.

I've got two LOTR themed threads coming up. Here's the excerpt from the one you'll like.

At the start of the campaign I thought Leave would be like the Charge of the Light Brigade, but you know what, the more the campaign goes on, it appears to be like to be Charge of the Rohirrim at Pelennor Fields.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    welshowl said:

Do I rember correctly that HMQ is referred to in the coronation ceremony as "Queen of France"?

• Options
    perdix said:

welshowl said:

Do I rember correctly that HMQ is referred to in the coronation ceremony as "Queen of France"?

You remember incorrectly, unless you count "her other realms and territories, Queen" as including France.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Dunno.

Votes for prisoners.

QED
    Not really. People are aware that the EU is infringing on our justice and home affairs policy, and don't like it.

Whether they don't like it enough for it to influence their vote is another matter of course.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

Indigo said:

As I look out over the village green, the sun is dipping over the church. The two cricket teams, having just finished playing, are walking arm in arm towards the pub, laughing about the day's exploits. The clock chimes, there is the smell of baking from a hundred thatched cottages. Children are playing tag in the street.

All is well.

And in @Indigo's mind, the EU is coming to mess it all up.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It was my hope and aspiration, I wasn't expecting the Farage lite duplicitous foghorn Boris and Gove are playing on Turkey.

I thought they were better than that.
  • Options

RobD said:

Indigo said:

Osborne has a -41 rating amongst tory members which is equivalent to something smelly and unpleasant on the bottom of a shoe.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/06/cameron-slumps-boris-slides-and-davidson-soars-in-our-cabinet-league-table.html
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It was my hope and aspiration, I wasn't expecting the Farage lite duplicitous foghorn Boris and Gove are playing on Turkey.

All's fair in love and war - and referenda.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @H_L_Thompson: Leave.EU 'THE EU ISN'T DEMOCRATIC'
    Also Leave.EU 'nah don't let young people register to vote. they'll vote remain' https://t.co/9nYiMnEPBU
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Nah. Dave is Voldemort

So who else do we have?

Andrea Leadsome would be Galadriel, and Priti Patel would be Eowyn.

Martin Shultz would be the Mouth of Sauron.
  • Options

RobD said:

Indigo said:

Osborne has a -41 rating amongst tory members which is equivalent to something smelly and unpleasant on the bottom of a shoe.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/06/cameron-slumps-boris-slides-and-davidson-soars-in-our-cabinet-league-table.html
    And he's had worse ratings and recovered before.

PS Are those ConHome polls conducted by Andrew Cooper's ComRes?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Bet accordingly.

Dunno.

Votes for prisoners.

QED
    Not really. People are aware that the EU is infringing on our justice and home affairs policy, and don't like it.

Whether they don't like it enough for it to influence their vote is another matter of course.
    People are being told that the EU is infringing on our justice, and home affairs policy. But I bet if we went to that bloke's shop and asked his customers to give examples, they wouldn't be able to.

The EU is just a convenient scapegoat for the perceived loss of control of our lives in this ever more complex world. If we leave it, another will emerge.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

midwinter said:

Not paranoid...

That was Vote Leave
    How did that turn out?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Scott_P said:

All's fair in love and war - and referenda.
    So we'll hear no more whinging from Leavers about Cameron and this referendum?

Superb!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

perdix said:

welshowl said:

You remember incorrectly, unless you count "her other realms and territories, Queen" as including France.
    British Monarchs gave up the claim to the throne of France in 1801, after that country became a Republic.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ah, there we have it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ah, there we have it.
    You might remember my other prediction from February. If Leave were spending the last few weeks of the referendum talking exclusively about immigration/Muslims then it was purely a core vote strategy by Leave in anticipation of a shellacking.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

MP_SE said:

How many of the British public do you figure are aware of that detail ?
    0.000001%

Which supports my point that people are voting emotively because the EU is a convenient bogeyman whom it is easy to blame for any number of other things, from a lack of school places, to the preponderance of the WWC appearing on Jeremy Kyle.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    perdix said:

welshowl said:

Think we gave that up in 1803 at the Peace of Amiens ( half time break of 11 months for lemons in the middle of the Napoleonic Wars). Probably on the grounds that as the French no longer even had a monarch George III claiming to be it was probably not good PR for his claiming sanity. Of course the sneaky French went and created a bloody Empire complete with Napoleon with top monarchical title the following year. Rotters.

I think Acts of Parliament are still signed off in medieval Norman French as la Reine le vuelt (the Queen wills it).

Al good fun!
This discussion has been closed.