Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest YouGov poll suggests Remain might see a caTaffstroph

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest YouGov poll suggests Remain might see a caTaffstrophe in Wales

Remain and Leave are both on 41%, with 18% don’t know or won’t vote, according to the latest YouGov survey for ITV Wales and Cardiff University.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Just saw on BBC News that Cameron is campaigning on"trust" today (makes a change from joining up with Labour, Greens and "others" to trash his own party and government I suppose)

Anyway riddle me this:

Why is Cameron campaigning on trust at the exact moment his personal ratings have collapsed and he's made himself toxic with millions of people?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    FPT: Mr. Eagles and Mr. P, thanks both for your advice on spread betting. I'll certainly bear that in mind and, if I do open an account, will likely ask for tips ahead of making bets.

I'll likely be betting on middling teams' drivers to exceed a low points margin, which will give me a definable potential loss (if I bet on them exceeding 30 points, then 30 x my stake is the maximum loss on such a bet, of course).

On-topic: that pun is atrocious.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,000
    2/1?

That's a funny way of writing 4/2... :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Ever depundable.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    GIN1138 said:

Just saw on BBC News that Cameron is campaigning on"trust" today (makes a change from joining up with Labour, Greens and "others" to trash his own party and government I suppose)

Anyway riddle me this:

Why is Cameron campaigning on trust at the exact moment his personal ratings have collapsed and he's made himself toxic with millions of people?

You would expect him to campaign on "I'm an arsehole"?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    BBC News reports about cricket in Germany as one of the benefits of migration from Afghanistan and Pakistan.
  • Options
    The valley's are revolting. Labours northern heartlands are revolting. The Shires are revolting...

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    edited June 2016
    FPT. Mr Llama sounds like you hit the jackpot. For a while anyway. All good things and all that!
    Personally, although I was married with a family and “responsibilities”, the 70’s were good too.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

Cameron doesn’t do honesty.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Top punning TSE!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    GIN1138 said:

The valley's are revolting. Labours northern heartlands are revolting. The Shires are revolting...

If Remain win it will be big majorities in London, Scotland and NI that does it
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Wanderer said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

True, but politics is meant to be the art of the possible, not the art of the laughable....

I'm amazed that Remain haven't put Cameron on the same subs bench as Stuart Rose.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602

FPT: Mr. Eagles and Mr. P, thanks both for your advice on spread betting. I'll certainly bear that in mind and, if I do open an account, will likely ask for tips ahead of making bets.

I'll likely be betting on middling teams' drivers to exceed a low points margin, which will give me a definable potential loss (if I bet on them exceeding 30 points, then 30 x my stake is the maximum loss on such a bet, of course).

Everyone loves my subtle puns.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

Well no but I'd have thought he wouldn't be saying anything about "trust"?

Maybe is still hasn't really dawned on him just how unpopular he has made himself? It must be hard to accept you're toxic with vast swathes of the country...

Though we know he doesn't give a damn about the people here (he is the Prime Minister exclusively for the elites and the corporations) so maybe he doesn't care how he's viewed?

All seems rather odd.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Migrants cannot be imprisoned just because they have entered a country illegally, Europe’s highest court has ruled, in a potential blow to British, Dutch and French police attempting to prevent people smuggling over the Channel.

France had no right to detain a Ghanaian woman who tried to sneak into Britain by travelling on the Channel Tunnel with someone else’s passport, the European Court of Justice ruled.

Doing so breached the EU Return Direct which say illegal migrants must be invited to go home voluntarily first, within a window of up to a month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/let-illegal-migrants-go-free-eu-court-orders-calais-police/
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    If Cameron is pleading with us to trust him he's lost it completely.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Oh, I hoped this was a piece written by @taffys
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    Deleted
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

Because the Remain cupboard is otherwise empty.... Even the dunderheads advising him have come round to the view that more Project Fear --> more being laughed at.
  • Options

I assume he's pleading with Worcester Woman rather than us per se.
  • Options
    And still the AV thread hasn't arrived.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wanderer said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

True, but politics is meant to be the art of the possible, not the art of the laughable....

I'm amazed that Remain haven't put Cameron on the same subs bench as Stuart Rose.
    I'm surprised they haven't used Caroline Lucas more - she comes across very well regardless of her party's political views and at least she's a committed Remainer
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

Presumably the fact that Tory voters are split down the middle means his views hold some sway to a number of those still unsure.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Another brilliant Vice News piece on Iraq....balls of steel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6axTxU30yo
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

I expect it's rather like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ILPl5FQaM
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, if that story gets widespread coverage, it will shift votes to Leave.

Mr. Eagles, you're as subtle as a flatulent liger.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    dr_spyn said:

BBC News reports about cricket in Germany as one of the benefits of migration from Afghanistan and Pakistan.

And top story is not the EU ref, not POTUS, not even Ali's funeral but it's this Sports Direct thing which is really quite a tiny story IMHO, unless I am missing something... is the BBC news website producer a Sunderland fan??
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2016
    Vote Leave has been reported to the elections regulator for potentially “misleading” people who are trying to register to vote.

The campaign to leave the EU appears to have purchased an advert on the Google search engine that places its website at the top of UK search results for “register to vote”.

Filling in the form however does not register the person to vote: instead it sends their details directly to Vote Leave.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/vote-leave-accused-of-disenfranchising-people-trying-to-register-to-vote-with-misleading-website-a7068661.html
  • Options

Vote Leave has been reported to the elections regulator for potentially “misleading” people who are trying to register to vote.

The campaign to leave the EU appears to have purchased an advert on the Google search engine that places its website at the top of UK search results for “register to vote”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/vote-leave-accused-of-disenfranchising-people-trying-to-register-to-vote-with-misleading-website-a7068661.html

That's much worse than the 9 million advert.

Vote Leave should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

dr_spyn said:

And top story is not the EU ref, not POTUS, not even Ali's funeral but it's this Sports Direct thing which is really quite a tiny story IMHO, unless I am missing something... is the BBC news website producer a Sunderland fan??
    It has been an obsession of Guardian / BBC for a couple of years now. I am interested why the focus only on Mike Ashley / Sports Direct, when a lot of claims are down to dodgy practices of agencies and fairly standard across a lot of different companies.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

And still the AV thread hasn't arrived.

The AV thread did arrive first, but then this thread won on second preferences.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Moses_ said:

Migrants cannot be imprisoned just because they have entered a country illegally, Europe’s highest court has ruled, in a potential blow to British, Dutch and French police attempting to prevent people smuggling over the Channel.

France had no right to detain a Ghanaian woman who tried to sneak into Britain by travelling on the Channel Tunnel with someone else’s passport, the European Court of Justice ruled.

Doing so breached the EU Return Direct which say illegal migrants must be invited to go home voluntarily first, within a window of up to a month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/let-illegal-migrants-go-free-eu-court-orders-calais-police/

WTF.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Everyone loves my subtle puns.
    It would have been better if you'd not put it in capitals, and then we could have roundly abused the first person to complain about your spelling
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The AV thread did arrive first, but then this thread won on second preferences.

TSE picked the door with the AV thread, but then decided to switch...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    midwinter said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

Presumably the fact that Tory voters are split down the middle means his views hold some sway to a number of those still unsure.
    That maybe true, but even Herself (a lifelong Conservative loyalist) has given up on the bloke. She now just skips over every article in the Telegraph that mentions his views.

For people like her a person cannot go into an election promising one thing and then a year later say the diametric opposite and expect to retain credibility, let alone trust. I rather fancy that Cameron has already played the trust me no ifs or buts card once too often for it to have any effect now.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Watched the Benn-Brillo 'car-crash' interview earlier. Can't say it lived up to the billing. I thought Benn played it rather well given the circumstances - wacky quotations from his leader being thrown his way every five minutes. Brillo looked in a frightful strop a lot of the time - borderline tearful.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    That open and internationalist Leave campaign (part 94):

https://twitter.com/nickbouchet/status/739925206345633792
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Vote Leave has some nasty pieces of work in their corner. Look at Plato's comment on the previous thread re: preferring Koreans to Bulgarians.
  • Options
    David Brent appears to be having some trouble with getting employees...

http://order-order.com/2016/06/07/labour-seeking-new-cheapo-spin-chief/
  • Options

I assume he's pleading with Worcester Woman rather than us per se.
    The audience is irrelevant, a PM pleading is a PM who has lost it.
  • Options

Vote Leave has some nasty pieces of work in their corner. Look at Plato's comment on the previous thread re: preferring Koreans to Bulgarians.
    It’s led by some nasty pieces of work.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    "As Wales goes, so goes the Kingdom." (Tissue Price, 2016)

i.e. I think you might as well back the 5/2 outright price for Leave.
  • Options
    Mr. Fire, the current situation prefers Bulgarians to Koreans. Not sure why that's ok and the reverse is horrendous.

I'd prefer us to treat all non-Britons equally rather than privileging those of the EU.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Moses_ said:

WTF.
    A ruling which we would not have to comply with in EFTA as we would not be under ECJ jurisdiction or have to implement the EU Return directive.
  • Options

The worst thing about it for me is how they claim to be championing the "downtrodden" and "dispossessed" working class. These are the people that the same posters have been calling workshop benefit scroungers for the last 6 years

• Options

midwinter said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

That maybe true, but even Herself (a lifelong Conservative loyalist) has given up on the bloke. She now just skips over every article in the Telegraph that mentions his views.

For people like her a person cannot go into an election promising one thing and then a year later say the diametric opposite and expect to retain credibility, let alone trust. I rather fancy that Cameron has already played the trust me no ifs or buts card once too often for it to have any effect now.
    I doubt Telegraph readers have been treated to a particularly balanced account of Cameron, but whatever.
  • Options

Wales will probably be about 3% more pro-Remain than the UK as a whole.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Well then the 5/2 would be decidedly better. What are your +/- estimates for each nation?
  • Options

I think there's merit in your thinking.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The worst thing about it for me is how they claim to be championing the "downtrodden" and "dispossessed" working class. These are the people that the same posters have been calling workshop benefit scroungers for the last 6 years

Neither side has a monopoly of nice people and nasty people.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Suspect Cameron will go after Farage hard tonight. It’s not blue on blue , he’s irritated & he’s going 2nd so he can attack Farage’s claims

The presser this morning appears to be lining up for that.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Neither side has a monopoly of nice people and nasty people.
    Agreed, but the Remain campaign are being marginally more subtle about pretending to care about certain groups of society to improve their chances and/or their Tory leadership ambitions.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    dr_spyn said:

The benefit being that cricket will soon be something else that Germany beat us at?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JGForsyth: Suspect Cameron will go after Farage hard tonight. It’s not blue on blue , he’s irritated & he’s going 2nd so he can attack Farage’s claims

Going second is a definite advantage
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

It has been an obsession of Guardian / BBC for a couple of years now. I am interested why the focus only on Mike Ashley / Sports Direct, when a lot of claims are down to dodgy practices of agencies and fairly standard across a lot of different companies.
    It's share price hasn't changed much after his evidence either.
  • Options
    Meet the man with a worse knowledge of history than Morris Dancer.

Has he never heard of the IRA?

A British man told to ‘sod off’ by an elderly man in a supermarket just for being Muslim has posted a video showing the whole encounter.

Zubair Munsif, who was born in Bristol and raised in Wales, popped into his local supermarket and bumped into an older family friend who also happened to be Muslim.

The two greeted each other, but Zubair said he then heard a voice from behind them. ‘On instinct I turned around and saw another elderly man walk towards me asking ‘Are you Muslim?!’ I replied ‘Yes’ in a rather surprised tone. To which he said ‘go back to where you came from. I hate Muslims’....

.....At this point the man slams his phone to the ground and says: ‘I know I’m not (being nice) – because I dislike all Muslims. Now look here – I’d like to see all the Muslims in England sod off. We never had any terrorists until youse lot was here.’

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/07/racist-filmed-in-supermarket-telling-muslim-from-bristol-to-go-back-to-where-hes-from-5927981/
  • Options

Mr. Fire, the current situation prefers Bulgarians to Koreans. Not sure why that's ok and the reverse is horrendous.

I'd prefer us to treat all non-Britons equally rather than privileging those of the EU.

Don't think anyone other than Plato was expressing an opinion as to what nationalities are and aren't acceptable here. Evidently Eastern Europeans are some way down the list of desirable neighbours.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Scott_P said:

Challenging Farage on his specialist subject though is not so easy - as Clegg found.
  • Options

You well know my point was of true internationalism in preference to low skilled any bodies.

Go on, try claiming I'm a racist for preferring high skilled Koreans Or Indians or Japanese.

It's a pathetic argument.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyway riddle me this:

I doubt Telegraph readers have been treated to a particularly balanced account of Cameron, but whatever.
    You think people get their news from only one source? Do you think people cannot remember what Cameron said just over a year ago? This not an issue where it needs a balanced account (which actually The Telegraph does surprisingly well), just a functioning memory.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Challenging Farage on his specialist subject though is not so easy - as Clegg found.
    Who is conducting the interviews?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

You well know my point was of true internationalism in preference to low skilled any bodies.

Go on, try claiming I'm a racist for preferring high skilled Koreans Or Indians or Japanese.

Would you prioritise a high-skilled Korean over a low-skilled Indian who was married to a Brit?
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

That open and internationalist Leave campaign (part 94):

https://twitter.com/nickbouchet/status/739925206345633792

Considering there are over 2 million refugees from those countries in Turkey, it seems reasonable to refer to them.

Incidentally, what succour have you given the refugees?

And why have you yet to answer my question about how much competition from EU migrants do pension lawyers face?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

You made no mention of highly skilled, just that you preferred Koreans to Bulgarians for neighbours. The mask slipped a bit, didn't it?
  • Options

Mr. Fire, the current situation prefers Bulgarians to Koreans.

More immigrants from outside the EU than in right now
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Well then the 5/2 would be decidedly better. What are your +/- estimates for each nation?
    I think England will be 1% more Leave than the UK as a whole; Wales will be 3% more Remain, Northern Ireland 7% more Remain, Scotland 10% more Remain, Gibraltar 45% more Remain.

So if it were 50/50 across the UK

England would vote 51/49 Leave

Wales 53/47 Remain

Northern Ireland 57/43 Remain

Scotland 60/40 Remain

Gibraltar 95/5 Remain.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

How many Korean immigrants do you see living under flyovers, or selling the Big Issue?

"Bulgarians" is code for Roma, and no matter how much we tiptoe around the subject, there are big social issues surrounding Roma, and not very nice ones in the main.

It's just the case.
    I thought the code word was Romanians.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

You made no mention of highly skilled, just that you preferred Koreans to Bulgarians for neighbours. The mask slipped a bit, didn't it?
    I'd prefer Berbatov to Son, perhaps I'm racist too
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

SeanT said:

How many Korean immigrants do you see living under flyovers, or selling the Big Issue?

"Bulgarians" is code for Roma, and no matter how much we tiptoe around the subject, there are big social issues surrounding Roma, and not very nice ones in the main.

It's just the case.

I love the way the right has embraced political correctness :-)

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I think England will be 1% more Leave than the UK as a whole; Wales will be 3% more Remain, Northern Ireland 7% more Remain, Scotland 10% more Remain, Gibraltar 45% more Remain.

Wales 53/47 Remain

Scotland 60/40 Remain

Gibraltar 95/5 Remain.
    So what does that work out to in terms of votes?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Oh do grow up. It's precisely this sort childish stuff that's losing Labour tens of thousands of voters.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

PlatoSaid said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Bulgarians a Caucausian and Christian people, Koreans Asiatic?

Funny kind of racism to accuse a European of.
  • Options

Watched the Benn-Brillo 'car-crash' interview earlier. Can't say it lived up to the billing. I thought Benn played it rather well given the circumstances - wacky quotations from his leader being thrown his way every five minutes. Brillo looked in a frightful strop a lot of the time - borderline tearful.

Andrew Neil had a killer point about the EU directive/regulation preventing the nationalisation of the rail operators.

Apparently Regulation 4 or some such allows state ownership of the infrastructure but requires competition for the train operators.

Benn obviously not aware of this and could only "disagree".
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Would you prioritise a high-skilled Korean over a low-skilled Indian who was married to a Brit?

If you forced me to chose, then yes.

And I would prioritize a low skilled law abiding Indian over a Romanian beggar or a Polish rapist.

When are Remain going to realise it isn;t about race. Its about quality. Right now we have no way of deciding the quality we get from Europe. And so people with learning difficulties get the cr8p beaten out of them. Wonder how the EU's working out for that poor soul.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Going back to Alistair's blog,it's true Labour lost on competence,economic competence in particular.What wasn't said was John McDonnell has built a consensus of advisors who can provide an evidence-based case for future Labour economic strategy based on opposition to austerity,as a political choice and not an economic necessity.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's just the case.
    Stop being a disingenuous tit.

And - by the by - if you want to hear real racism, then try asking non-Roma Bulgarians, Czechs, Slovakians, Hungarians, etc, here in the UK, what they think of their own Roma - aka gypsy - populations.
    I know some Romanians, about 5 years ago they said we would be mad to let Roma people into the UK.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

dr_spyn said:

The benefit being that cricket will soon be something else that Germany beat us at?
    Will be fun for the translators.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Bulgarians a Caucausian and Christian people, Koreans Asiatic?

It's not racism its stereotyping Bugarians as crooks and Koreans as hard working entrepreneurs. Although there may be some evidence for this.

A well known UK cigarette company used Bugarians to sell their cigarettes in Turkey without a license because they had a persuasive manner.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

Scott_P said:

Farage will have to gain the audience's sympathy if he possibly can. Be a bit self-deprecating maybe? Inviting the audience to 'sack him' by leaving the EU might be a nice opening line (not particularly original, but still). If the audience are warmed to him, they should take a little while to warm to Cameron, if at all, especially if he comes on very aggressive and shirty.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited June 2016
    Just drawn Wales in the Euro 2016 office sweepstake. Get in! Gatland's boys are looking mighty impressive.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Where did I mention racism? Small-minded xenophobia, sure
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Oh do grow up. It's precisely this sort childish stuff that's losing Labour tens of thousands of voters. ''

Remainers are desperate to avoid a debate on quality of immigrant for some reason. I don't really understand it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's just the case.

And - by the by - if you want to hear real racism, then try asking non-Roma Bulgarians, Czechs, Slovakians, Hungarians, etc, here in the UK, what they think of their own Roma - aka gypsy - populations.
    I know some Romanians, about 5 years ago they said we would be mad to let Roma people into the UK.
    I watched a C5 docu a month or two ago. The Romanians interviewed had an incredibly low opinion of pick pockets et al from their own country.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

Going back to Alistair's blog,it's true Labour lost on competence,economic competence in particular.What wasn't said was John McDonnell has built a consensus of advisors who can provide an evidence-based case for future Labour economic strategy based on opposition to austerity,as a political choice and not an economic necessity.

Does it involve magic money trees or taxing the socks off aspiration?
  • Options

John McDonnell has built a consensus of advisors who can provide an evidence-based case for future Labour economic strategy based on opposition to austerity,as a political choice and not an economic necessity.

Ah, but we don't do "experts" anymore...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sean_F said:

...if it were 50/50 across the UK

Wales 53/47 Remain

Scotland 60/40 Remain

Gibraltar 95/5 Remain.

Much obliged. That looks pretty sensible.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

More weapons grade stupidity. Xenophobic to prefer those nationals from Asia?

Than Caucasians?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Wales 53/47 Remain

Scotland 60/40 Remain

Gibraltar 95/5 Remain.
    Why will Wales be 3% more Remain? Not saying that's wrong - just interested in the thinking.

It is tight I'd think here - tighter from that poll than I thought it would be given the dollops of EU money that have been doled out over the years especially in the Valleys. There again listening to Radio 4 this morning with their piece from Merthyr the views didn't exactly surprise me either. Brighton it is not.

I'd have thought Remain would've hoped Wales was going to be fairly comfortably in their column at the start of this, so neck and neck isn't great I'd think, even if it's only about 5% of the UK electorate.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Scott_P said:

Mr. Fire, the current situation prefers Bulgarians to Koreans.

More immigrants from outside the EU than in right now
    Ok, so that one is Theresa May is doing a crap job ?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

".... evidence based case for for future Labour economic strategy.....", i.e:: more BS.

• Options
    taffys said:

''Oh do grow up. It's precisely this sort childish stuff that's losing Labour tens of thousands of voters. ''

Remainers are desperate to avoid a debate on quality of immigrant for some reason. I don't really understand it.

Me neither. Accusing us of xenophobia has me honking with laughter.

It's so daft.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

PlatoSaid said:

Absolutely - it was straightforward nast, xenophobic and racist - a sure sign of someone mixing too much with kipperdom and its ilk
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

Andrew Neil had a killer point about the EU directive/regulation preventing the nationalisation of the rail operators.

Apparently Regulation 4 or some such allows state ownership of the infrastructure but requires competition for the train operators.

Benn obviously not aware of this and could only "disagree".
    I thought what Neil was looking for was for Benn to say that he disagreed with renationalization of the railways. I'm not sure if Benn wants to or not, but I can't believe it's high up his list of priorities.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

More weapons grade stupidity. Xenophobic to prefer those nationals from Asia?

Than Caucasians?
    Caucasian is not a nationality in case you're not aware.

I'm just baffled why you would prefer one nationality as a neighbour over another. Must people look for someone quiet and considerate who you can ask to keep an eye on things when you're away. Rather than, y'kbow, crude national stereotypes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Jonathan said:

Just drawn Wales in the Euro 2016 office sweepstake. Get in! Gatland's boys are looking mighty impressive.

Bale actually could play on the wing for Gatland!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    SeanT said:

It's just the case.
    Just as a point of order, the vast majority of Bulgarians are *not* Roma.

The fastest way to wind up educated Bulgarians over here is to show them a newspaper article (which invariably refers to Bulgarian gangs instead) or Michael Palin's documentary, where he went to visit the Roma camps in Bulgaria and little else.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's just the case.

I was told the same thing by lots of Eastern Europeans, for many years. We all know this is the truth, but supercilious wankers, on PB and elsewhere, would rather signal their personal virtues, than face facts.
    When I was working in the Czech Republic the totally overt view of your average Czech would make PBers demand the moderator intervene.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

Will be fun for the translators.
    Googly, LBW, silly mid off, Yorker, deep extra, gully, popping crease, back of a length, yes I can see the issue!!! Cow corner might be OK (Kuhecke?)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Sean_F said:

...if it were 50/50 across the UK

Wales 53/47 Remain

Scotland 60/40 Remain

Gibraltar 95/5 Remain.

Much obliged. That looks pretty sensible.
    I'm a buyer of the Wales-Scotland gap at 7 :D
This discussion has been closed.