Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michael Gove’s very big night out

Comments

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    I missed this, I suspect that more of Labour's working class voters will have seen this than the Sky News performance.
    Cameron's unfortunate way of handling women.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7191042/David-Cameron-snaps-at-Kate-Garraway-during-fiesty-EU-discussion-about-immigration.html

As reported in the Sun "DAVID Cameron has been blasted by television viewers after he reprimanded Kate Garraway on Good Morning Britain during a heated debate about the EU referendum."

If only they put Cameron in front of Mrs Duffy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

fpt Sunil and battleship calibres:

I'm kind of the same. My father was a gunsmith and firearms dealer and I am very au fait with small arms calibres, which are a bewildering mix of imperial and metric. The basic thing to remember is that 1 inch is 2.54 cm. So an imperial .30 calibre rifle round becomes a 7.62mm metric one.

That's answered a long standing query of mine. It's most confusing for the casual observer.
    am i right in thinking this caused some trouble/confusion in early 20C Japan, whose ships were british built, with imperial gun measurements?
    Kongo (last battleship built in UK for Japan) and rest of her class = 14 inch guns
    Fuso class = 14 inch
    Ise class = 14 inch
    Nagato class = 16 inch
    Yamato class = 18 inch
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Mr. Dugarbandier, you may also like Three Kingdoms (bit more political, and historical). They're the three (of four) great Chinese classics I've read.

The fourth, Dream of the Red Chamber/Story in the Stone, I started but found bloody tedious.

Here are a couple of my reviews:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/review-outlaws-of-marsh.html

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/review-three-kingdoms-by-luo-guanzhong.html

Miss Plato, looks interesting. There are a few different versions of the book, but the extra stuff with Fang La's men (who is in the version I read) seems a change.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

I cannot understand this Tory enthusiasm for May. She more than anyone is responsible for immigration, and with non-EU migration running net +149 000 has been a total failure.
    Agreed.

Yes. Better to look for Andrea Leadsom. On the LEAVE side, had a real career and effective in the media interviews.
    Yeah, she's a possibility (like Priti) the problem is that she's completely untested in high office... I think the Tories will want someone with a lot of experience to negotiate our Brexit...

But who knows. We live in volatile times.
    Andrea has the business nous to cope with the negotiations and manage the people that will do it. Having Andrea as Leader and Theresa at Foreign Office controlling the civil servants negotiating would be a good team.
    what evidence is there of Theresa's competence tho?
    She has survived at the Home Office - a very difficult job.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics: 'The Brexit lot are doing a victory lap already': readers on the EU referendum https://t.co/Y1mIxf8cl0

Nobody on LEAVE is complacent. REMAIN is still odds on favourite if for no other reason than REMAIN has all the levers of state at their disposal.

It does now appear that we've got a genuine contest (which I think Cameron realized for the first time last night) but REMAIN very much favourites of course.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

I have just watched Corbyn the Movie, produced by Vice, for the second time, as I wanted to check that my initial reaction was justified. It transpires that Corbyn is even worse than I originally thought.

http://capx.co/corbyn-is-getting-worse-the-man-is-a-total-twit/

He is spot on with the not as nice as supposed to be, that temper shows through as soon as he is asked one hard-ish question....and as thick as shit, definitely.

It really was a mistake by Team Corbyn. Fly-on-the-wall is always messy and risky, but having a fan do it and end up with this makes me wonder what anyone else would make with the same access :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Just watching Cameron vs Faisal again - Dave is still as stroppy and full of adrenaline.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    "EU offering loans and grants to Peugeot so they could relocate Ryton to Trnava in Slovakia" - so that is what happened.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Personally I would like to see the managed decline of the city anyway. If it was hit in the event of Brexit it would cause us some short term difficulties but I suspect it would be a good thing in the long run. Quite why people venerate it when it's rise over the last say 130 years has gone hand in hand with the arguable overall decline of UK plc is a mystery to me.

0_o

Which other very lucrative industries would you like us to lose??
    Thanks to inept (mostly Tory) governments over the past 40 years, we don't have any (other than the brief North Sea Oil sugar rush)
    I'm going to miss your posts next week when you're back in nursery school :)
    Sunil, your posts have become mighty brief of late. Are you sure you haven't been kidnapped and replaced by a Sunilbot?
    I'm a polling addict, and, and I've been fighting to get off opinion polls - shut up, TSE! - and, um, for over a year. I've been in rehab twice, and I don't wanna be like people like Angus Reid, that were... and stuff like that. I wanna be a survivor.

I mean I died again on Election Night. So, I'm not... I'm not... my cats' lives are out. I... I just wanna say sorry to all the fans and stuff, and uh, I'm glad to be alive, and sorry to me mum as well.

I just want them to know that it's not cool. It's not a cool thing to be an addict. It's not... you know, you're a slave to it, and it took... it's taken everything away from me that I loved, and so I've got to rebuild my life.

FPT LOL! what can I say. avoid opiates!
    Opini-ates, surely!
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

I cannot understand this Tory enthusiasm for May. She more than anyone is responsible for immigration, and with non-EU migration running net +149 000 has been a total failure.
    Agreed.

Yes. Better to look for Andrea Leadsom. On the LEAVE side, had a real career and effective in the media interviews.
    Yeah, she's a possibility (like Priti) the problem is that she's completely untested in high office... I think the Tories will want someone with a lot of experience to negotiate our Brexit...

Andrea has the business nous to cope with the negotiations and manage the people that will do it. Having Andrea as Leader and Theresa at Foreign Office controlling the civil servants negotiating would be a good team.
    It was split in half - justice being removed right? and she has failed at her half. She's only survived cause Dave can't be arsed to reshuffle. I'm a bi pissed now so probably talking psih, mind
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    PlatoSaid said:

Just watching Cameron vs Faisal again - Dave is still as stroppy and full of adrenaline.

He didn't do very well in GE version of these either. Where he was better was with the audience interaction, but the one on one interview he was very poor.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419

Game changer

Cornish Pasty Industry Backs Staying In EU

The manufacturers' body wants to keep ties with Brussels because of the protection given to the popular delicacy under EU law

http://news.sky.com/story/1706485/cornish-pasty-industry-backs-staying-in-eu

That's very significant. If and when America finally gets round to doing a trade deal with us, no way will they do that regional-naming protection thing. We'd then have our Cornish pasties imported from Texas or some such place. I can't think of anything worse.
  • Options
    Mr. Dawning, crucifixion?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

I'm kind of the same. My father was a gunsmith and firearms dealer and I am very au fait with small arms calibres, which are a bewildering mix of imperial and metric. The basic thing to remember is that 1 inch is 2.54 cm. So an imperial .30 calibre rifle round becomes a 7.62mm metric one.

That's answered a long standing query of mine. It's most confusing for the casual observer.
    am i right in thinking this caused some trouble/confusion in early 20C Japan, whose ships were british built, with imperial gun measurements?
    Kongo (last battleship built in UK for Japan) and rest of her class = 14 inch guns
    Fuso class = 14 inch
    Ise class = 14 inch
    Nagato class = 16 inch
    Yamato class = 18 inch
    ah, OK, so no confusion, just inches all the way?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    You are a contestant on the Monty Hall show. Monty opens one door to reveal a Latvian homophobe. Do you switch?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

Agreed.

All "she has survived at the Home Office" means is that the Prime Minister hates reshuffles.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    Jobabob said:

You are a contestant on the Monty Hall show. Monty opens one door to reveal a Latvian homophobe. Do you switch?

Whats the other possible prize? A Waffen SS supporter?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

I missed this, I suspect that more of Labour's working class voters will have seen this than the Sky News performance.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7191042/David-Cameron-snaps-at-Kate-Garraway-during-fiesty-EU-discussion-about-immigration.html

As reported in the Sun "DAVID Cameron has been blasted by television viewers after he reprimanded Kate Garraway on Good Morning Britain during a heated debate about the EU referendum."

Is asking to be allowed to answer the question an unfortunate way of handling women?
  • Options

Game changer

The manufacturers' body wants to keep ties with Brussels because of the protection given to the popular delicacy under EU law

That's very significant. If and when America finally gets round to doing a trade deal with us, no way will they do that regional-naming protection thing. We'd then have our Cornish pasties imported from Texas or some such place. I can't think of anything worse.
    they'll probably contain less radioactivity
  • Options
    PAW said:

"EU offering loans and grants to Peugeot so they could relocate Ryton to Trnava in Slovakia" - so that is what happened.

Ryton not far from where I work.

BTW. Just saw remain campaigners outside work as I was popping out for lunch.

Exchange between us went like this:

- "Would you be interested in a Vote REMAIN leaflet?"
    - "I'm voting LEAVE, thank you!"
    - "Have a nice day!"
  • Options

I can't quite understand what's got into him. Years of superb CameronDirects and urbane media appearances - now he's getting all huffy, stroppy and rude when challenged.

Too much time with YesMen, me thinks. The tightly managed/no media tours of factories hasn't helped him at all.
  • Options
    currystar said:

Is asking to be allowed to answer the question an unfortunate way of handling women?
    have you never argued with a woman? (getting coat)
  • Options

Game changer

Why would we need to import Pasties while Cornwall is still part of the UK?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300
    edited June 2016
    TSE

"A few months ago, the polling found Gove had the same net unfavourable ratings as Jeremy Corbyn, I would think this type of polling would deter Tory MPs and the Tory membership from electing Gove as leader, but when the Tory party is obsessed with the European Union, it leads to bad leadership results, as evidenced by the time they elected Iain Duncan Smith as leader".

For a party willing to impale themselves in order to smash the EU you shouldn't be looking at things logically.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to IDS with Pierrepoint Patel as his deputy.

The Addams Family Dream Ticket
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick said:

Fuso class = 14 inch
    Ise class = 14 inch
    Nagato class = 16 inch
    Yamato class = 18 inch
    ah, OK, so no confusion, just inches all the way?
    Although to be fair, I think the Nagato and Yamato class were actually 16.1 and 18.1 inch respectively.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,063
    Last night I posted here that Corbyn's speech yesterday was his best yet- with his critique of Osborne's economic claims of a Brexit . But after thinking about it, Corbyn is such an idiot, a stupid man. He used his opportunity to make a case for the Euro to instead make cheap, crowd pleasing shots at Osborne. With such a tight vote looming this shows such lack of judgement, and lack of intelligence.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I can't quite understand what's got into him. Years of superb CameronDirects and urbane media appearances - now he's getting all huffy, stroppy and rude when challenged.''

MS Plato, Having won an election against the odds and having destroyed his enemies, David Cameron probably feels he should be master of all he surveys.

And with some justification, perhaps?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Whats the other possible prize? A Waffen SS supporter?
    A jug of Ozzy's tears.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Last night I posted here that Corbyn's speech yesterday was his best yet- with his critique of Osborne's economic claims of a Brexit . But after thinking about it, Corbyn is such an idiot, a stupid man. He used his opportunity to make a case for the Euro to instead make cheap, crowd pleasing shots at Osborne. With such a tight vote looming this shows such lack of judgement, and lack of intelligence.

Exactly. That is precisely right. The self-serving idiot seems to forget we are all supposed to be on the same side. Once a eurosceptic...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think Gove will give a polished performance tonight, he's very fluent and reasonable-sounding.

All the same, I think TSE's 'Kingmaker rather the King' point is a good one. The only thing is, in the event of a Leave result (which I think would require a Leaver as PM), who else is there? Boris has confirmed the widespread concerns about him, and in case has been divisive. Grayling? He's been very articulate and very measured in the campaign, always coming over well, but, still... So Gove has to be considered as a serious contender, in a Leave scenario.

Theresa might have kept her head down enough to be able to take over even after a LEAVE vote?
    Or hammond.
    Why have Hammond or May when you can have Clarkson? :lol:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Exactly. That is precisely right. The self-serving idiot seems to forget we are all supposed to be on the same side. Once a eurosceptic...

As I said yesterday, knowing Corbyn is for Leave confirms to me that I am right to support Remain.

• Options
    currystar said:

The problem is he was not answering the question and thinks he has a right to talk about something else. He had a number of snap backs from females on the Sky show last night. Also as Plato pointed out his handling of the usually timid Faisal was just as bone headed as can be.

There is one person on here who knows people who have come across Osborne and Cameron and say that Osborne is far more polite.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

@GdnPolitics: 'The Brexit lot are doing a victory lap already': readers on the EU referendum https://t.co/Y1mIxf8cl0

Nobody on LEAVE is complacent. REMAIN is still odds on favourite if for no other reason than REMAIN has all the levers of state at their disposal.

It does now appear that we've got a genuine contest (which I think Cameron realized for the first time last night) but REMAIN very much favourites of course.
    I'd still make Remain 2/1 favourites, but certainly, Cameron would have expected a far easier contest.
  • Options

Game changer

They've a load more cows and wheat in America. The cornish pastie market will be flooded with cheap US imports. The homegrown industry will be unable to compete and Cornwall will become a wasteland.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Is there any evidence Gove actually wants the job ?

Boris yes, but Gove ?

He's repeatedly said he doesn't want it.
    Not only that, Miss P, Gove has said more than once the he does not have the qualities required of a Party Leader. So he not only doesn't want the job but he knows he would be rubbish at it. However, no matter how often this is pointed out some denizens of this site still keep mentioning him as a future leader of the Conservative Party.
    I'm not sure I'm talking to you after your rather rude remarks on the last thread. Criticising both the City *and* the EIC in the same sentence!
    I am sorry, Mr. Charles, but much as I love the City (and I really do) it would be wrong to ignore its failures and, it has to be said, the fact(?) that it has not been a nett long term benefit for the the UK.

I'd love to come up to Town and debate this with you and we can go back to Gresham, and the later founding of certain banks, and discuss how the good and bad aspects the City have had on the UK. Of course, such a debate would take many hours and probably as many bottles of wine and neither your busy life nor my eyesight would permit that.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    tyson said:

"Well done Corbyn , your best speech yet!"
    "I'm glad you liked it."
    "I didn't say that."
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''As I said yesterday, knowing Corbyn is for Leave confirms to me that I am right to support Remain.''

Mr SO, I wonder if that will turn quite a few soft tory leavers back to remain. It made me stop and think, I don;t mind admitting.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I can't quite understand what's got into him. Years of superb CameronDirects and urbane media appearances - now he's getting all huffy, stroppy and rude when challenged.''

MS Plato, Having won an election against the odds and having destroyed his enemies, David Cameron probably feels he should be master of all he surveys.

If that's how he feels, he's making a total hash of his media relations. He's got all the talent to do this well - and yet getting all uppity and defensive. Someone in his team should tell him straight - he's getting a reputation for it. Never thought I'd be typing this. He knows so much better.
  • Options

currystar said:

True. Secret to a long term marriage = Learn to say sorry it was my fault.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Dr. Prasannan, tonight: Richard accidentally invades the Moon, James leaves the nuclear launch codes on the tube, and I challenge Donald Trump to a drag race.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417
    PlatoSaid said:

taffys said:

If that's how he feels, he's making a total hash of his media relations. He's got all the talent to do this well - and yet getting all uppity and defensive. Someone in his team should tell him straight - he's getting a reputation for it. Never thought I'd be typing this. He knows so much better.
    Perhaps he's just seen the private polling for EU Ref.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

currystar said:

Doing what one is told is generally easiest.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

lol. A classically silly tyson post. Bravo.

FWIW some people think Corbyn did this deliberately: that he wants LEAVE to win, partly because he is sincerely eurosceptic, and partly because he thinks - rightly - that this will consume the Tory party more than REMAIN.

I dunno. It seems a bit too Machiavellian and clever for Corbyn. If this was McDonnell, yes.

Too clever by half for Corbyn, you are quite right.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511
    Roger said:

TSE

"A few months ago, the polling found Gove had the same net unfavourable ratings as Jeremy Corbyn, I would think this type of polling would deter Tory MPs and the Tory membership from electing Gove as leader, but when the Tory party is obsessed with the European Union, it leads to bad leadership results, as evidenced by the time they elected Iain Duncan Smith as leader".

For a party willing to impale themselves in order to smash the EU you shouldn't be looking at things logically.

It's arguably entirely logical.

This is only the second referendum in 40 years. Parties can come back from lost elections far more quickly (except perhaps the Lib Dems).
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

I've written my Saturday piece on that topic.

To summarise - you're looking at it the wrong way round.
  • Options
    Logic was something that completely escaped the Labour party membership last summer, so it could happen again.

Corbyn's allegedly pro Euro speech yesterday which he instead used to attack Osborne, at this time, with what is at stake, showed what an utterly ludicrous character he is. Corbyn is a caricature of a pain in the arse lefty that gets under your skin.
    Roger said:

TSE

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to IDS with Pierrepoint Patel as his deputy.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016

GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

Agreed.

It was split in half - justice being removed right? and she has failed at her half. She's only survived cause Dave can't be arsed to reshuffle. I'm a bi pissed now so probably talking psih, mind
    I share your view in part but I give her a pass because she did tackle the police federation etc and has been hampered by the lack of financial support etc from Osborne in tackling immigration. Ironically if Osborne had supported Cameron's tens of thousands promise, he, Osborne, would be closer to being Cameron's replacement. Instead Osborne is closer to the door.
  • Options

Game changer

They've a load more cows and wheat in America. The cornish pastie market will be flooded with cheap US imports. The homegrown industry will be unable to compete and Cornwall will become a wasteland.
    just open up the tin mines (the trump solution)
  • Options

Game changer

Hmm... yet more REMAIN scaremongering :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

FWIW some people think Corbyn did this deliberately: that he wants LEAVE to win, partly because he is sincerely eurosceptic, and partly because he thinks - rightly - that this will consume the Tory party more than REMAIN.

I dunno. It seems a bit too Machiavellian and clever for Corbyn. If this was McDonnell, yes.

True. We can add Corbyn to the list, along with Nicola Sturgeon, of British politicians who are gagging for a Leave triumph despite pronouncements to the contrary.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, Cameron probably fears his all-conquering army is about to meet the fate of Bayezid I.

The Ottoman Sultan was poised to conquer Byzantium around the turn of 1400. But then, Tamerlane rolled up (think a 14th/15th century Genghis Khan), obliterated the Ottoman army, and took Bayezid prisoner (the Sultan reportedly spent the rest of his life as a foot stool, and went insane with rage).

Byzantium fell about half a century later, but the reprieve must have felt like fate at the time.
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, tonight: Richard accidentally invades the Moon, James leaves the nuclear launch codes on the tube, and I challenge Donald Trump to a drag race.

Hopefully not a race in drag, Mr Dancer!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

currystar said:

Chuckles.
  • Options
    Gove will do fine. I doubt the audience will be as hostile as the one Cameron faced. It's not as if Remainers have the same passion for this as Leavers do.

I suspect he will get a lot of stuff about what happens after a Brexit vote and what guarantees he can give that everything will be OK.
  • Options
    Kay "Here's the sweaty lip camera - we saw a lot of that from the PM last night - let's see what it picks up on Mr Gove"

I do hope I don't need to hide behind the sofa.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

As I said yesterday, knowing Corbyn is for Leave confirms to me that I am right to support Remain.

But Gerry Adams is for REMAIN. So is Tony Blair...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

currystar said:

My wife and I have had 15 happy years together - our son is 25.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Where do the Krankies stand on this issue?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    weejonnie said:

currystar said:

My wife and I have had 15 happy years together - our son is 25.
    11 unhappy years? ;)
  • Options

Roger said:

TSE

It's arguably entirely logical.

This is only the second referendum in 40 years. Parties can come back from lost elections far more quickly (except perhaps the Lib Dems).
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

I've written my Saturday piece on that topic.

To summarise - you're looking at it the wrong way round.
    The idea that he knows we are supposed to be on the same side yet is doing his level best to undermine Remain while claiming to support its case credits him with far too much intelligence David.

I'll look forward to reading your thread anyway – I very often enjoy them.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I'd still make Remain 2/1 favourites, but certainly, Cameron would have expected a far easier contest.
    I think he'd have expected an easier contest when he first promised the referendum but since then:

the refugee crisis has exploded
    Labour has elected a joke leader who can't (or won't) hold up his end of the plank
    Boris has come out for Leave

which make it a lot harder.

I would say Leave should be no longer than 13/8 now. (I've been pondering this as I saw Mike's tweet that he had closed down his Leave punt last night. He' s probably right but it's too soon for me.)
  • Options

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

I suspect that Gerry Adams would have very little problem with a Leave vote. It would accelerate the process of Irish reunification, given that Leave have said that the current open border between north and south will remain on Brexit.

• Options

- and Chris Evans shouts, and is dressed like he should be fighting in Clacton on a bank holiday.
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, you missed off Cameron blowing his own credibility with a pathetic 'renegotiation' and overblown scare stories that make his previous suggestion he might recommend we Leave look disingenuous at best.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I think he'd have expected an easier contest when he first promised the referendum but since then:

Labour has elected a joke leader who can't (or won't) hold up his end of the plank

I would say Leave should be no longer than 13/8 now. (I've been pondering this as I saw Mike's tweet that he had closed down his Leave punt last night. He' s probably right but it's too soon for me.)

Cameron clearly could not see that immigration would be the defining issue of the campaign. That makes him a complete fool. I am very happy with my 4-1 on Leave to win, and my 7-1 for them to win on a turnout of less than 65% (with an 8-1 saver for them to win on a turnout of over 65%).

• Options
    Weds 8th, 6.30pm: @TheSun and @csjthinktank host an EU debate. IDS and Andrea Leadsom for Leave, Charles Clarke and Owen Smith for Remain.

Apply for tickets via Twitter
  • Options
    Corbybn is so thick that he doesn't realise that if Brexit wins he is done for too- the Tory leadership will change quickly and put him to the sword in September.
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

• Options
    Mr. B, alas, I didn't get past Evans shouting over the credits, so am unaware of his costume.
  • Options

Miss Plato, Cameron probably fears his all-conquering army is about to meet the fate of Bayezid I.

The Ottoman Sultan was poised to conquer Byzantium around the turn of 1400. But then, Tamerlane rolled up (think a 14th/15th century Genghis Khan), obliterated the Ottoman army, and took Bayezid prisoner (the Sultan reportedly spent the rest of his life as a foot stool, and went insane with rage).

Byzantium fell about half a century later, but the reprieve must have felt like fate at the time.

Constantinople, Mr Dancer, renamed in honour of a famous son of Yorkshire, no doubt?
  • Options

Mr. Wanderer, you missed off Cameron blowing his own credibility with a pathetic 'renegotiation' and overblown scare stories that make his previous suggestion he might recommend we Leave look disingenuous at best.

The renegotiation and the approach to the campaign would have been part of his plan, so not a surprise to him.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

I suspect that Gerry Adams would have very little problem with a Leave vote. It would accelerate the process of Irish reunification, given that Leave have said that the current open border between north and south will remain on Brexit.

Accelerate from year n+1 to year n+0.999....

Ireland is more likely to leave the EU than be reunified.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

I thought his speech wasn't at all helpful for Remain but that's the least of the damage he's doing.

The Tories would have hoofed out the loonies weeks ago if they'd had a viable opposition.

I heard IDS call Cameron a liar this morning. With unelectable Corbyn in charge why not?
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Cameron clearly could not see that immigration would be the defining issue of the campaign. That makes him a complete fool. I am very happy with my 4-1 on Leave to win, and my 7-1 for them to win on a turnout of less than 65% (with an 8-1 saver for them to win on a turnout of over 65%).

He probably could see it but it's one thing to predict and another to counter it. How would you counter it?
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, I tend to call it Byzantium. I prefer the name. And most of -oples have faded to obscurity (an exception of cities named after people is Thessalonica, named by Cassander after his wife).
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,171

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Who cares what leave think about the border? It will be up to the British and Irish governments if they want an open border.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Remainers need to calm down. There has been an ICM and ORB poll showing a swing to Leave over the bank holiday, with lots of health warnings, and that's it.

However, we do know that Cameron et al expected the deal to be received much better than it was, to only have 70-80 BOO'er MPs to deal with and no big beasts, for Project Fear to work more effectively than it has, so far, and to win very clearly by 60%+ and thus close the issue down for a generation and rope the Right in, for good.

That is looking very unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    Louise McDaid
    Northern Ireland's largest trade union, NIPSA, has just voted to campaign to leave the EU. #Leave #EURef #Brexit #Lexit
  • Options

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Where do the Krankies stand on this issue?
    Fan-dabi-dozi!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Louise McDaid
    Northern Ireland's largest trade union, NIPSA, has just voted to campaign to leave the EU. #Leave #EURef #Brexit #Lexit

In line with NI's largest political party, the DUP.
  • Options

Mr. B, alas, I didn't get past Evans shouting over the credits, so am unaware of his costume.

He looked like he should have been in one of those pitched battles between Mods and Rockers.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sean_F said:

currystar said:

Yup, I'd go along with that, but one needs to develop strategies that allow Her to think you are doing what you are told whilst at the same time being able to do at least some of what you want to do.

Also cats. Get her at least one kitten, preferably two. That will keep the conversations on safe subjects for at least ten years, which knocks out most causes of conflict. Also they give her something to worry about, other than children, money, mortgages and all that stuff.

Here endeth the HurstLlama's marriage guidance counsellors lesson No 1.

Now, back to today, Herself will be home in about half an hour so I have to go and get on with the list she left me so that when she comes in I will have done a couple of things and be able to talk about the thing I am doing at the time. That will distract her enough from asking about all the things on the list I haven't done and what I have been doing with my time all day.

Yes, she probably does see through my ploys but we have been married 35 years so it seems to work well enough.

So I am off. Thank one and all for some cracking conversation today and as always play nicely.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Remainers need to calm down. There has been an ICM and ORB poll showing a swing to Leave over the bank holiday, with lots of health warnings, and that's it.

However, we do know that Cameron et al expected the deal to be received much better than it was, to only have 70-80 BOO'er MPs to deal with and no big beasts, for Project Fear to work more effectively than it has, so far, and to win very clearly by 60%+ and thus close the issue down for a generation and rope the Right in, for good.

I agree with all that. It's why I would still make Remain favourite and why Mike's tweet made me quite thoughtful.
  • Options
    'In the Kingdom of the blind, the swivel-eyed man is King.'

Surely that's Liam Fox?

Does anyone have any idea what the Tory electorate is like any more? What would they be looking for in a leader in the event of leave or remain.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

we do know that Cameron et al expected the deal to be received much better than it was, to only have 70-80 BOO'er MPs to deal with and no big beasts, for Project Fear to work more effectively than it has, so far, and to win very clearly by 60%+ and thus close the issue down for a generation and rope the Right in, for good.

We don't know any of those things.

They are what you might expect behind door number 2, but they are not indisputable facts
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Polls last year showed Remain with c.30% leads on a renegotiated deal

Both the UK Government and the EU have seriously fucked this up.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    Has TSE lost the plot?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

'In the Kingdom of the blind, the swivel-eyed man is King.'

Surely that's Liam Fox?

Does anyone have any idea what the Tory electorate is like any more? What would they be looking for in a leader in the event of leave or remain.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Nadine yet...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Why are you so surprised now ? He and Osbo did the same in two GE campaigns.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784

GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

Agreed.

I share your view in part but I give her a pass because she did tackle the police federation etc and has been hampered by the lack of financial support etc from Osborne in tackling immigration. Ironically if Osborne had supported Cameron's tens of thousands promise, he, Osborne, would be closer to being Cameron's replacement. Instead Osborne is closer to the door.
    Nevertheless, non-EU immigration is 50% higher than the total immigration target. As procedures for non-EU immigration are entirely within the remit of the Home Office, she has clearly failed at that part of her job. Really, she's been lucky EU immigration was so high, which has distracted from how big the miss was.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Corbybn is so thick that he doesn't realise that if Brexit wins he is done for too- the Tory leadership will change quickly and put him to the sword in September.

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

Wishful thinking. Cameron has already put him to the sword. Sadly, he is still there!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sean_F said:

currystar said:

Yup, I'd go along with that, but one needs to develop strategies that allow Her to think you are doing what you are told whilst at the same time being able to do at least some of what you want to do.

Also cats. Get her at least one kitten, preferably two. That will keep the conversations on safe subjects for at least ten years, which knocks out most causes of conflict. Also they give her something to worry about, other than children, money, mortgages and all that stuff.

Here endeth the HurstLlama's marriage guidance counsellors lesson No 1.

Now, back to today, Herself will be home in about half an hour so I have to go and get on with the list she left me so that when she comes in I will have done a couple of things and be able to talk about the thing I am doing at the time. That will distract her enough from asking about all the things on the list I haven't done and what I have been doing with my time all day.

Yes, she probably does see through my ploys but we have been married 35 years so it seems to work well enough.

So I am off. Thank one and all for some cracking conversation today and as always play nicely.
    That's the problem with women. They give you a simple task to do then feel that they need to remind you about it every six months for decades!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,679
    On topic - there is only one Conservative (any party?) politician who seems to have come out of the Referendum with their reputation enhanced. A principled stand for Leaving the EU, but not prepared to deliver leaflets with "dodgy statistics about the NHS". Somebody who has been a fully paid up member of the awkward squad during the Cameron-Osborne years. But someone who could unite the party post referendum.

Someone who would strike fear into Labour and LibDems strategists. Someone who took on a constituency-wide open primary - and won the chance to fight against the LibDems in a marginal seat. And has now crushed them into fifth place, hoovering up their vote to get a majority of nearly 18,400 last year.

Somebody who was not a career politician, but had years of real world experience. Somebody who came late to politics and claimed their qualifications were "only real life experience, approachability and enthusiasm". Oh that there were 400 more of them in Westminster.

Somebody who may not have Cabinet experience, but does chair the Parliamentary Health Select Committee. They could kill off Labour hopes of making the NHS their own again.

Somebody who would have a head start with women voters.

I give you Dr Sarah Wollaston. Great value at 66-1...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    You are absolutely right. The fact that Corbyn is Labour leader allows the Tory to behave as they please knowing there will not be any electoral consequences.

Corbyn is a free pass for the Tories to indulge in the most terrible civil war about their favourite subject
    Roger said:

tyson said:

I thought his speech wasn't at all helpful for Remain but that's the least of the damage he's doing.

The Tories would have hoofed out the loonies weeks ago if they'd had a viable opposition.

I heard IDS call Cameron a liar this morning. With unelectable Corbyn in charge why not?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

PlatoSaid said:

Is there any evidence Gove actually wants the job ?

Boris yes, but Gove ?

He's repeatedly said he doesn't want it.
    Not only that, Miss P, Gove has said more than once the he does not have the qualities required of a Party Leader. So he not only doesn't want the job but he knows he would be rubbish at it. However, no matter how often this is pointed out some denizens of this site still keep mentioning him as a future leader of the Conservative Party.
    I'm not sure I'm talking to you after your rather rude remarks on the last thread. Criticising both the City *and* the EIC in the same sentence!
    I am sorry, Mr. Charles, but much as I love the City (and I really do) it would be wrong to ignore its failures and, it has to be said, the fact(?) that it has not been a nett long term benefit for the the UK.

I'd love to come up to Town and debate this with you and we can go back to Gresham, and the later founding of certain banks, and discuss how the good and bad aspects the City have had on the UK. Of course, such a debate would take many hours and probably as many bottles of wine and neither your busy life nor my eyesight would permit that.
    But surely someone of your experience can identify the wine by the taste so you don't need to see the label?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

Agreed.

Nevertheless, non-EU immigration is 50% higher than the total immigration target. As procedures for non-EU immigration are entirely within the remit of the Home Office, she has clearly failed at that part of her job. Really, she's been lucky EU immigration was so high, which has distracted from how big the miss was.
    The resources have been cut back at a time when they had successive election pledges to cut to tens of thousands. The Border "police" needed to be beefed up not cut. There are also other compromises on legislation and following various directives etc.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

Wishful thinking. Cameron has already put him to the sword. Sadly, he is still there!
    Think if it's Brexit labour will finish him off
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

He probably could see it but it's one thing to predict and another to counter it. How would you counter it?

With where we are now, it can't be countered. That's why Leave is likely to win. Someone thinking strategically, though, would not have played a pivotal role in helping to build the anti-immigrant narrative in the first place - especially while knowing that the government needed large scale immigration to have a chance of hitting its fiscal and economic targets.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,768

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

PB has covered the subject of Bank Holiday polls before:
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/04/27/should-we-be-wary-about-bank-holiday-polling/
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

Logic was something that completely escaped the Labour party membership last summer, so it could happen again.

Corbyn's allegedly pro Euro speech yesterday which he instead used to attack Osborne, at this time, with what is at stake, showed what an utterly ludicrous character he is. Corbyn is a caricature of a pain in the arse lefty that gets under your skin.

Roger said:

TSE

Maybe you are being unfair to Corbyn this time.

Remember the following:

Labour lost the working class in Scotland by appearing too close to the Tories in the referendum.

The Labour working class vote in the northern heartlands are euro-sceptic from head to toe as recent canvassing has more than demonstrated.

The last thing Corbyn should have done is parrot the same old lines as the rest of the RemaIN camp. He had to differentiate himself. Also he had to use simple examples and not GDP / Rebate / Gross vs Net etc.

Beach cleanliness, bees may be laughable to many metrosexuals but they are tangible proofs understood by many. He had to attack Osborne in the same breath. Attacking Osborne does not negate the RemaIN message. After all, everyone hates Osbo.

So, maybe some thought went into the speech. I am not a supporter of Corbyn. Didn't even vote for him as No.4 but I think giving an identikit speech for RemaiN would have hurt the campaign, not helped it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

Agreed.

I wish governments would stop talking about controlling net migration when it's entirely dependent on how many people are leaving. And unless we start placing restrictions on British nationals returning we don't have complete control of arrivals either. If you want 10s of 1000s net then the only guarantee is to limit new (non- British) arrivals to about 50000 per year.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    edited June 2016
    Apart from the incoherent grammar of TSE's first paragraph two things stand out.

The first is that no-one out there thinks Cameron was confident and polished. He was floored by two people. One suggesting his personal reputation has been ruined. The other by a student telling him he's waffling. Nothing else about last night matters.

The second is this. Tory leaders take time to reach party consciousness let alone that of the public. If you had polled the general public 12 months before Cameron became leader he'd have polled 10000x less than Michael Gove now. No-one outside Westminster had heard of Cameron. Yes, Michael Gove was unpopular as Education Secretary, but since then his stock has been gradually rising. It remains to be seen whether he could become a popular leader if the situation arises. It's far too soon to be writing him, or any others off.

Now can we get back to the EU referendum. And for goodness sake swallow your egos and put some flipping balance into the thread headers. The country is balanced on this. Pb.com drags itself down by constantly cheerleading for Remain, especially when many of your punters seem to hold a contrary view.
This discussion has been closed.