Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE should deploy David Davis – the only person apart fro

Comments

• Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    You know that an English electricain has to be qualified to work as such. And the Polish? Just turn up?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    PAW said:

You know that an English electricain has to be qualified to work as such. And the Polish? Just turn up?

All electricians in England have to part P certified
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,783

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Old Trafford being evacuated.

You're sure they haven't simply confirmed LVG for next season?
    Maybe, this is could turn into a fiasco

Manchester United's match will kick off at 3.45pm at the earliest, But City's match is still kicking off at 3pm.
    In fairness they should probably at least give City the option of putting their match time back too. Not that this will make any difference. City will win. We blew it against West Ham (and on about 15 other occasions in this unhappy season).
    If United lose then West Ham could nick their 5th spot.
    So we don't have to embarrass ourselves in the mickey mouse cup again? Hmmm....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,626
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:
    At the moment it does look like were Sanders Democratic nominee he would win a landslide, as it is it will be Hillary and closer
    Looks are deceptive in politics.

Seemingly attractive Sanders would be Dukakis Mk II with knobs on. Clinton is the ugly candidate and will win ugly against an uglier Trump.

As political beauty contests go the US electorate know both Trump and Clinton are not bikini material but will opt for Clinton as looking better in evening dress.
    Personality wise Clinton is more like Dukakis, a technocrat if ever there was one, Sanders is a tub thumping populist much like Trump
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:
    At the moment it does look like were Sanders Democratic nominee he would win a landslide, as it is it will be Hillary and closer

Seemingly attractive Sanders would be Dukakis Mk II with knobs on. Clinton is the ugly candidate and will win ugly against an uglier Trump.

As political beauty contests go the US electorate know both Trump and Clinton are not bikini material but will opt for Clinton as looking better in evening dress.
    You are quite wrong JackW. Your ARSE has farted out the wrong result. I laid out £100 yesterday on the Donald becoming POTUS should he win the nomination.

I will post a rag to clean your left leg Jack. ;)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,133

Which part of the "Ken Hitler Lesson" have LEAVE not learned....

Senior Tories who are backing a 'Brexit' have rallied to support Boris Johnson after the former London Mayor compared the European Union to Hitler’s Nazi Germany.

Chris Grayling, the Leader of the House of Commons, former Cabinet ministers Iain Duncan Smith and Lord Lamont, as well as Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, defended Mr Johnson’s remarks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/brexit-tories-back-boris-johnson-saying-his-eunazi-germany-compa/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

There are only two possible reasons for this and neither of them are pleasant.

Either they are dumb enough to actually believe the comparison or they have done some private polling and found the public are dumb enough to believe the comparison. Neither is a reassuring idea.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    John_N4 said:

GIN1138 said:

This referendum comes down to:
    Economic Security Vs Stopping Unlimited Immigration
    Everything else is a side show adding to the gaiety of the nation.

This is accurate. And some commentators are going to be surprised at the high turnout on the Leave side. They don't realise that some people will take the view that they're accustomed to being spoken at by politicians talking about economic security ("jobs") every damned election, but they've never before had a chance to express in a serious and consequential way what they think about immigration.

The message from REMAIN is this: "It's Romanians next door, with chickens out the back, or you lose your job".

And REMAIN want people to be so scared that they say, "Oh please, we're crapping ourselves with fear about losing our jobs, so it'll be fine to have Romanians not just next door, but next door the other way too, and in half the houses on our street, just so long as we keep our jobs. We really trust you on protecting our jobs, and keeping prices down, and everything else to do with the Ekonommy, so we promise we won't say anything more about Romanians and how we increasingly feel as though we're living in the Third World."

That's a tall ticket, and not everyone can be fooled all of the time.
    I was most unimpressed that John Major attempted to smear all Leaver Tories with the waycist card. And leading Tories fronting VoteLeave. It's just another symptom of the panic. They know it's a very strong Leave card and will do anything to frighten voters off.

Cameron doing a dirty deal to exchange Trade Union Bill concessions for £1.7m in Remain goodies was the lowest point for me. And these people sneer at Neil Hamilton's cash-for-questions brown envelop.
  • Options
    This "Economic Security" - doesn't need to apply to the working class of course?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,264
    PAW said:

Laws are like taxes and austerity - only for the 'little people'.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Old Trafford being evacuated.

You're sure they haven't simply confirmed LVG for next season?
    Maybe, this is could turn into a fiasco

Manchester United's match will kick off at 3.45pm at the earliest, But City's match is still kicking off at 3pm.
    In fairness they should probably at least give City the option of putting their match time back too. Not that this will make any difference. City will win. We blew it against West Ham (and on about 15 other occasions in this unhappy season).
    If United lose then West Ham could nick their 5th spot.
    So we don't have to embarrass ourselves in the mickey mouse cup again? Hmmm....
    We can embarrass ourselves on your behalf
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Yet more honest advice to the Leave campaign from a confirmed Remainian, I see.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,046

GIN1138 said:

That's because there've been many more online surveys than phone polls where the smallest IN lead is 7%.

I think I've missed something but why so we think phone polls are more reliable than online polls?

As far as I remember at the general election, none of the pollsters covered themselves with glory (even the once mighty ICM)

This idea what we discount online polls in favour of phone polls looks a bit like "cheeypicking" polls we don't like which was a BIG faux pas on here when I first started ten years ago?
    This piece by Matt Singh explains why

http://www.populus.co.uk/2016/03/polls-apart/

ComRes, have also explained why they are only doing phone polling for the EU Referendum

http://www.comres.co.uk/eu-referendum-all-still-to-play-for-by-not-neck-and-neck/
    The huge flaws in Singh's methodology were exposed when there was a thread dedicated to his claims a few days ago. Basically using Yougov 6 times as if it were 6 separate pollsters completely skewed the results.
    Err no, this was something totally different.

He used Populus to conduct a phone poll and a online poll on the EURef concurrently.
    And still has no way of knowing which one us accurate. GIGO.
    This is a crucial week for Brexit polling, we should be getting three phone polls.

If they do show Remain maintaining/increasing their hefty leads then we're going to see a major modal issue.

If they show Leave leads/shrinking Remain leads, then it is squeaky bum time for Remain.
    But it is still meaningless because we still won't know which is right.
    And I suspect we won't find out which is right until June 24th.....

'Private Polling" gave the SNP a nasty shock......
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It's just another symptom of the panic.

What panic?

Remain have lined up a series of heavyweight commentators from all round the World.

The Brexit reply has been

SHUT UP!

SACK HIM!

HITLER!

Only one of these campaigns is exhibiting signs of panic...
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    PAW said:

John_N4 - no, not that one - it was a few years ago - and I remember the phrase used exactly.

"Dull white faces"? There's no doubting what kind of a tosser Preston is. Here he is, having a gloat along similar lines. But I'd be interested to read him actually boasting of his own role.
  • Options
    PAW said:

This "Economic Security" - doesn't need to apply to the working class of course?

Nor should they have pay rises according to the Remainers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,459
    Golly, got to feel for Tottenham; behind at Newcastle, while Arsenal are beating Villa.

This was their season to come top of the London clubs...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,371

Senior Tories who are backing a 'Brexit' have rallied to support Boris Johnson after the former London Mayor compared the European Union to Hitler’s Nazi Germany.

Chris Grayling, the Leader of the House of Commons, former Cabinet ministers Iain Duncan Smith and Lord Lamont, as well as Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, defended Mr Johnson’s remarks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/brexit-tories-back-boris-johnson-saying-his-eunazi-germany-compa/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Idiotic. Some honourable Leavers on PB.com, such as Kle and Richard Tyndall, have already condemned this 'EU = Adolf' offensiveness in the strongest terms. Why the likes of IDS and Rees-Mogg have sought to pile in and add fuel to the fire is beyond me. The conceit is indefensible, and attempting to do so just looks arrogant and twisted. The serious Leavers must despair of their leadership.
  • Options

Idiotic. Some honourable Leavers on PB.com, such as Kle and Richard Tyndall, have already condemned this 'EU = Adolf' offensiveness in the strongest terms. Why the likes of IDS and Rees-Mogg have sought to pile in and add fuel to the fire is beyond me. The conceit is indefensible, and attempting to do so just looks arrogant and twisted. The serious Leavers must despair of their leadership.
    Thanks for that Stark. I withdraw my earlier attack and apologise unreservedly.

Until next time of course.
  • Options

Yet more honest advice to the Leave campaign from a confirmed Remainian, I see.

I wouldn't put Davis forward - he's still 'middle aged posh white man' - despite his much more modest background than the much posher 'man down the pub Nige'....who for some reason LEAVE want to exclude entirely....does anyone know if ITV have been taken to court yet, or has Dominic Cummings been locked in a room.....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,074
    F1: the stewards' meeting with Rosberg and Hamilton will occur in about 8 minutes.

Post-race piece may be delayed due to triumphant cackling.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,109
    edited May 2016

Either they are dumb enough to actually believe the comparison or they have done some private polling and found the public are dumb enough to believe the comparison. Neither is a reassuring idea.
    There's a third option, I spoke to someone who works for Vote Leave a few months ago, he said if Leave are spending the last 10 days of the campaign about immigration/using World War II analogies, they are trying to prevent a landslide defeat that will settle it for a generation.

If Boris had done it in an interview, I could have understand it as a slip of a tongue, but he's done it in an article, alarm bells should have been going off.
  • Options
    Southam's on course for a very big winner today.
  • Options

Odd. When Red Ken cited the supposed endorsement of Hitler to discredit a concept he didn't like, there was a near unanimity of fizzing condemnation from the PB Leave community. Boris employs an identical tactic and not a peep. Puzzling.

Its a safe assumption that any politician who mentions Hitler, or WWII generally, has exposed themselves as someone of varying degrees of ridiculousness and/or contemptibility.

Here's the interview http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/14/boris-johnson-interview-we-can-be-the-heroes-of-europe-by-voting/

I haven't noticed anyone here actually reading it.
    As is typical for Mr Johnson, he doesn’t simply examine the EU referendum in terms of weighing the economic case, the impact of immigration or even the vital security arguments. He takes a rather longer view of the question.

“The whole thing began with the Roman Empire,” he says. “I wrote a book on this subject, and I think it’s probably right. The truth is that the history of the last couple of thousand years has been broadly repeated attempts by various people or institutions – in a Freudian way – to rediscover the lost childhood of Europe, this golden age of peace and prosperity under the Romans, by trying to unify it. Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he says.

“The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods. But fundamentally what it is lacking is the eternal problem, which is that there is no underlying loyalty to the idea of Europe. There is no single authority that anybody respects or understands. That is causing this massive democratic void.”
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

I wouldn't go on about it.
    People might start asking themselves why that clever fellow Johnson thinks the EU is an oppressive pan-European regime.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

When a colleague has cited Hitler:

1) STFU
    2) If pressed, say the analogy is not helpful and move on
    3) If asked to condemn, say its not a form of words I would have used, but the overall point that the EU is undemocratic is valid, and move on to that.
    4) WHATEVER YOU DO....do not repeat the 'H-word'.

You want the whole thing out of the news Cycle as quickly as possible - goodness knows your opponents will be stoking the flames - so why pour petrol on them.....
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

There's a third option, I spoke to someone who works for Vote Leave a few months ago, he said if Leave are spending the last 10 days of the campaign about immigration/using World War II analogies, they are trying to prevent a landslide defeat that will settle it for a generation.

If Boris had done it in an interview, I could have understand it as a slip of a tongue, but he's done it in an article, alarm bells should have been going off.
    A fourth option is it distracts from the idea that "Boris belongs to the Kremlin".

Which, BTW, for all I know, maybe he does. I mean look who owns the Evening Standard.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,783
    Rumours that the suspicious package in the Stretford Road end was something called a "trophy" left over from the Ferguson era but not recognised by any of the current staff are still to be confirmed.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

F1: the stewards' meeting with Rosberg and Hamilton will occur in about 8 minutes.

Post-race piece may be delayed due to triumphant cackling.

Congratulations on your tip :)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Personality wise Clinton is more like Dukakis, a technocrat if ever there was one, Sanders is a tub thumping populist much like Trump
    Why is the "technocrat" Clinton defeating "tub thumping" Sanders and Trump in polling?
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer (and others), thanks :)

It was rather tense watching the last 20 laps or so. I was relaxed at first, thinking Raikkonen would pass but a third or so odds for 2nd was still great (circa 80/1). Then I thought he might win it.

Then he did :D
  • Options

Odd. When Red Ken cited the supposed endorsement of Hitler to discredit a concept he didn't like, there was a near unanimity of fizzing condemnation from the PB Leave community. Boris employs an identical tactic and not a peep. Puzzling.

Its a safe assumption that any politician who mentions Hitler, or WWII generally, has exposed themselves as someone of varying degrees of ridiculousness and/or contemptibility.

No, because all anyone is talking about is the 'H-word'.

Its not as though an ex-Mayor of London hasn't got into trouble over using it recently has he?

Boris is (allegedly) highly intelligent. It may be that he's just not very smart....
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

You are quite wrong JackW. Your ARSE has farted out the wrong result. I laid out £100 yesterday on the Donald becoming POTUS should he win the nomination.

Your record as a political tipster is legendary and often quoted by the 120 UKIP MP's in parliament .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,070

Yep, looks like it. I know my Spurs.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2016
    JackW said:

MikeK said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Your record as a political tipster is legendary and often quoted by the 120 UKIP MP's in parliament .... :sunglasses:
    Oh dear, JackW. 120 UKIP MP's is now passe, surely you can do better than that. :yum: :
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061

Yep, looks like it. I know my Spurs.

things are not going necessarily to my advantage both on this and the pb league....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Crystal Palace had a steam hauled train to Southampton, return details here.

twitter.com/IconsOfSteam/status/731848909824331777
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2016

GIN1138 said:

That's because there've been many more online surveys than phone polls where the smallest IN lead is 7%.

I think I've missed something but why so we think phone polls are more reliable than online polls?

As far as I remember at the general election, none of the pollsters covered themselves with glory (even the once mighty ICM)

This idea what we discount online polls in favour of phone polls looks a bit like "cheeypicking" polls we don't like which was a BIG faux pas on here when I first started ten years ago?
    56% of GE2015 campaign phone polls had CON leads compared with 10% of online ones.
    So online polls were wrong because they didn't have enough Conservative responders.

But haven't we been told that online polls on the referendum are wrong because they have too many Conservative and UKIP responders ?

As a general rule online polls have too many UKIP participants while phone ones have too many Labour ones
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,447

Here's the interview http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/14/boris-johnson-interview-we-can-be-the-heroes-of-europe-by-voting/

As is typical for Mr Johnson, he doesn’t simply examine the EU referendum in terms of weighing the economic case, the impact of immigration or even the vital security arguments. He takes a rather longer view of the question.

“The whole thing began with the Roman Empire,” he says. “I wrote a book on this subject, and I think it’s probably right. The truth is that the history of the last couple of thousand years has been broadly repeated attempts by various people or institutions – in a Freudian way – to rediscover the lost childhood of Europe, this golden age of peace and prosperity under the Romans, by trying to unify it. Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he says.

“The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods. But fundamentally what it is lacking is the eternal problem, which is that there is no underlying loyalty to the idea of Europe. There is no single authority that anybody respects or understands. That is causing this massive democratic void.”
    You see, what you're expecting me to do there is to read what was actually written instead of the headline or how it was reported. Whilst laudable, it requires skills entirely unused in this debate (cf Cameron & WWIII)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,386
    Idle question since we're spinning our wheels without fresh polls to chew on: what do strongly political people do when they meet someone in a social context who has views you really dislike? I was sitting next to someone at a dinner table who harangued me for about 20 minutes on her ultra-Kipperish views of immigrants and the EU. I expressed mild dissent - don't know about that, wouldn't say that myself, etc. - and she ranted on regardless. Eventually I said, "Look, we're not really going to agree on this - shall we talk about something else?" "But it's really important! What you need to realise is..." and off she went again. We were at one end of the table so there was nobody I could turn away to.

Pretending to agree with someone like that is just not an option for me, but I try to be polite, especially in someone else's home. Do you argue, point out mistakes, try to convert them, but maybe embarrass your host by a possibly furious dispute at his table? Or do you reckon that hey, who cares what some random person thinks, you're not going to change their minds anyway, and offer meaningless remarks like "How very interesting"?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,914
    Sky news have a lady called Rachel Blewett [sic] on the phone about the bomb scare...I am not joking.
  • Options
    FFS
  • Options
    F1: if you put £10 on my recorded tips, you'd be down £1 on the season so far.

Including the Verstappen tip, you'd be up £2,499 :D
  • Options

FFS

Haha.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

MikeK said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Oh dear, JackW. 120 UKIP MP's is now passe, surely you can do better than that. :yum: :
    In the corridors of the Palace of Westminster Douglas Carswell would like to passe one or two other colleagues let alone 119 .... :smiley:
  • Options

Idle question since we're spinning our wheels without fresh polls to chew on: what do strongly political people do when they meet someone in a social context who has views you really dislike? I was sitting next to someone at a dinner table who harangued me for about 20 minutes on her ultra-Kipperish views of immigrants and the EU. I expressed mild dissent - don't know about that, wouldn't say that myself, etc. - and she ranted on regardless. Eventually I said, "Look, we're not really going to agree on this - shall we talk about something else?" "But it's really important! What you need to realise is..." and off she went again. We were at one end of the table so there was nobody I could turn away to.

Pretending to agree with someone like that is just not an option for me, but I try to be polite, especially in someone else's home. Do you argue, point out mistakes, try to convert them, but maybe embarrass your host by a possibly furious dispute at his table? Or do you reckon that hey, who cares what some random person thinks, you're not going to change their minds anyway, and offer meaningless remarks like "How very interesting"?

Attack. But with intelligence. Show them up through implacable reasonableness. But be brutal about it.
  • Options

Not sure how that helps the pro-Boris case. He says that Hitler (amongst others) was trying "rediscover the lost childhood of Europe, this golden age of peace and prosperity". Which is what people have been complaining about. It's unfortunate because he suggests that Hitler started off with idealistic motives but then "it ends tragically". In reality Hitler started off with the desire to persecute and murder Jews.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Crystal Palace had a steam hauled train to Southampton, return details here.

twitter.com/IconsOfSteam/status/731848909824331777

John O thanks you for posting that ....
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

56% of GE2015 campaign phone polls had CON leads compared with 10% of online ones.
    So online polls were wrong because they didn't have enough Conservative responders.

But haven't we been told that online polls on the referendum are wrong because they have too many Conservative and UKIP responders ?

As a general rule online polls have too many UKIP participants while phone ones have too many Labour ones
    Thanks.

But shouldn't all this be taken into account when the pollsters weigh by previous voting ?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Its not as though an ex-Mayor of London hasn't got into trouble over using it recently has he?

Boris is (allegedly) highly intelligent. It may be that he's just not very smart....
    Say what you like about Boris, but the man is a fine wordsmith and knows the power of language. He would know perfectly well that the 'H-word' would be incendiary, but went ahead regardless. I think he wants Leave to win, but if he takes enough of the shine of the Leave campaign and they win anyway, then the win will all be about Boris. It's a clever tactic but not one without risk.
  • Options
    F1: post-race analysis of a trouser-explodingly good Spanish Grand Prix:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/spain-post-race-analysis-2016.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,855
    edited May 2016

Idioip.
    When a colleague has cited Hitler:

1) STFU
    2) If pressed, say the analogy is not helpful and move on
    3) If asked to condemn, say its not a form of words I would have used, but the overall point that the EU is undemocratic is valid, and move on to that.
    4) WHATEVER YOU DO....do not repeat the 'H-word'.

You want the whole thing out of the news Cycle as quickly as possible - goodness knows your opponents will be stoking the flames - so why pour petrol on them.....
    Absolutely. Whatever the fairness of including the H word, if you can make the same point without it, do so. Obviously in this case he could, since he referenced Napoleon as another example. Now some have argued using the H word got the point more attention than it otherwise would, which is possible, but it also produced a lot more confusion around what his actual point will have been outside a general recollection he was comparing to Hitler. Remain can and will ridicule other good points made on the basis he thinks the EU is like Hitler, and he will have to clarify what he means again, probably get angry at having to do so and act silly about it.

Not a fight worth having.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I'm a bit of a social coward, so I tend to go the offer meaningless remarks approach, agree more obviously with the few bits I do agree with, and occasionally test out what I consider reasonable alternative viewpoints in a 'some people say' kind of way, but don't press it if they respond negatively to it.

The only time someone said something I disliked so much I had to disagree vehemently wasn't really political, it was a general discussion about immigration, and they expressed their distaste for n-word music.
  • Options

FFS

It was free money, unfortunately.

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited May 2016
    Wanderer said:

Not sure how that helps the pro-Boris case. He says that Hitler (amongst others) was trying "rediscover the lost childhood of Europe, this golden age of peace and prosperity". Which is what people have been complaining about. It's unfortunate because he suggests that Hitler started off with idealistic motives but then "it ends tragically". In reality Hitler started off with the desire to persecute and murder Jews.
    Poor misunderstood Hitler. He just wanted everyone to get along.
  • Options

FFS

How many of your players do you think will now be bought by a big club.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    viewcode said:

You see, what you're expecting me to do there is to read what was actually written instead of the headline or how it was reported. Whilst laudable, it requires skills entirely unused in this debate (cf Cameron & WWIII)
    Quite. The poster who banged on about Dave's WAR!!! ad infinitum, even though it turned out to be a blatant invention, now wants us to embrace the glories of forensic textual analysis. You couldn't make it up etc.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,338

F1: post-race analysis of a trouser-explodingly good Spanish Grand Prix:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/spain-post-race-analysis-2016.html

Enjoy spending your winnings on new trousers....
  • Options

FFS

Definition of a Spurs fan's existence?

Hoping a team as dire as Villa somehow nick a point off Arsenal to save us.

x 40 years.+
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Why is the "technocrat" Clinton defeating "tub thumping" Sanders and Trump in polling?
    She defeats Sanders in polls of Democrats, although even there he is running her close but he does better than her in general election polling
  • Options

I usually just raise my eyebrows, shrug and change the subject. If that doesn't work (which no doubt it wouldn't have in your case) then I try to express my disagreement briefly, clearly and in terms that make it clear that I am the Enemy (from their point of view).

My goal isn't to convert anyone but just to get them to shut up. I think it's uncivilised to preach about politics in a social setting. If someone is doing it I just want them to be quiet.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,870

Believe me, I value your view on my honourability as much as a piece of navel lint, but I must point out it seems not to have occurred to you that people might find validity in Boris's comparison that they don't find in Ken's. They are, after all, different comparisons.
  • Options
    Bomb squad arriving at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, fortunately, my trousers only explode when I have such phenomenal tips. Which is very rare, and ensures I have sufficient pecuniary advantage to afford new ones :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Mr. Mark, fortunately, my trousers only explode when I have such phenomenal tips. Which is very rare, and ensures I have sufficient pecuniary advantage to afford new ones :)

When you go trouser shopping I'm quite happy to tag along and give you some fashion advice.
  • Options

Believe me, I value your view on my honourability as much as a piece of navel lint, but I must point out it seems not to have occurred to you that people might find validity in Boris's comparison that they don't find in Ken's. They are, after all, different comparisons.
    Boris's point was much more relevant - Yes Minister made a very similar gag about the Napoleon prize 'for the statesman who's made the biggest contribution to european unity since napoleon; that is if you don't count Hitler' - so his use of Hitler to make a point was not as out of left field or immediately offensive. But he is supposed to be a smart man, he knows how these things get boiled down to a headline, so either he is an idiot, or he wanted this reaction as presumably he feels the additional publicity of the story will outweigh the capital Remain will make of it by extrapolating his point to absurdity (which is something that happens on all sides of a debate, and neither can whinge about happening in this case with any credibility).
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm afraid that your significantly weightier wallet and poorer taste precludes me from accepting your generous offer.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,651
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

She defeats Sanders in polls of Democrats, although even there he is running her close but he does better than her in general election polling
    General Election polls which show Clinton losing to Sanders or Kasich or whoever only provide evidence of a resistance to electing Hillary Rodham Clinton to the White House. They underline why Trump has a fantastic shot at beating her.
  • Options

Say what you like about Boris, but the man is a fine wordsmith and knows the power of language. He would know perfectly well that the 'H-word' would be incendiary, but went ahead regardless. I think he wants Leave to win, but if he takes enough of the shine of the Leave campaign and they win anyway, then the win will all be about Boris. It's a clever tactic but not one without risk.
    Unfortunately I think that the legendary Boris laziness is spreading to his verbal output as well. He has been able to get away for so long now with saying whatever he likes because people ssy "oh that's just Boris" that he has got into the mindset where he believes he can say anything he likes without repercussions. Actually having to consider the implications of what he is going to say is hard work and he just doesn't bother.

It is why he will become more of a liability -or at least less of an asset - to Leave as time passes.
  • Options

I'm fairly regularly (though not frequently) subjected to this working in an office in Scotland.

Being a lot more conflict averse in real life than I am here in my keyboard warrior mode, I look for common ground and focus the discussion on that. There usually is some, so it's not particularly difficult. If I were being more assertive, I might still look for common ground, but argue more points.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,055
    I'm very guarded with my views with people I hardly know, and even with people I know I am very cautious. I wouldn't have engaged in any way shape or form and let her rant on.
    Notrights invariably expose themselves by what comes out of their mouths.

A very close friend of mine for many years was shocked and stunned when I disclosed by chance that I was interested in animal rights recently (I didn't say just how much). It actually nearly finished our friendship such was his hostility to people who show compassion to animals. I had to step back and accept that our friendship has different points of connection...cricket, films, books, work, philosophy and moral subjects, art and personal issues, and many more.

• Options

viewcode said:

Quite. The poster who banged on about Dave's WAR!!! ad infinitum, even though it turned out to be a blatant invention, now wants us to embrace the glories of forensic textual analysis. You couldn't make it up etc.
    It was not an invention at all. Well except by Dave and his speech writers.
  • Options

If I understand Plato's post below correctly, Boris thinks Hitler was trying to recreate a golden age of prosperity. So you are right: they are different comparisons. Unfortunately, Boris's comparison is actually worse than Ken's.
  • Options
    Nick Palmer - stick to Islington.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,651

If they do then they're nuts.

Boris has just implied that Hitler wanted to recreate the 'golden age of peace and prosperity under the Romans' but that it ended badly.

On balance I think it's Boris who's shown himself up.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    edited May 2016
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

This referendum comes down to:

Economic Security Vs Stopping Unlimited Immigration

As noted on a previous thread.

How much are you willing to pay (Economic Security) to prevent your neighbour from being able to hire a competent Polish plumber (Stopping Unlimited Immigration) ?
    Well personally I'm voting OUT on grounds of sovereignty.

I'm actually fairly relaxed about immigration and I don't believe for one moment that the EU guarantees our economic security.

But for me, self-governance is more important than everything else (plus we get to see Cameron and Osborne eviscerated from a LEAVE vote) But I'm in the minority. Most peole will vote on economic security against immigration.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

Somewhat like saying Man City might beat Athletico Madrid in the final of the Champions League if only City had beaten Real Madrid in the semi.

Irrelevant.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

General Election polls which show Clinton losing to Sanders or Kasich or whoever only provide evidence of a resistance to electing Hillary Rodham Clinton to the White House. They underline why Trump has a fantastic shot at beating her.
    General election polls show both Sanders and Clinton beating Trump. Of course Hillary is beatable, Obama beat her for a reason and the Dems have been in the White House for eight years. Were Kasich the GOP nominee Hillary would almost certainly lose, by picking Trump Hillary is the most likely but not certain winner
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris's point was much more relevant - Yes Minister made a very similar gag about the Napoleon prize 'for the statesman who's made the biggest contribution to european unity since napoleon; that is if you don't count Hitler' - so his use of Hitler to make a point was not as out of left field or immediately offensive. But he is supposed to be a smart man, he knows how these things get boiled down to a headline, so either he is an idiot, or he wanted this reaction as presumably he feels the additional publicity of the story will outweigh the capital Remain will make of it by extrapolating his point to absurdity (which is something that happens on all sides of a debate, and neither can whinge about happening in this case with any credibility).
    But that is a question of tactics. What Stark Dawning is saying everyone should be as horrified by this as they were by Ken, or they're not honourable.
  • Options

FFS

How many of your players do you think will now be bought by a big club.

None. We won't sell to Real or Barcelona this summer.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    edited May 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

General election polls show both Sanders and Clinton beating Trump. Of course Hillary is beatable, Obama beat her for a reason and the Dems have been in the White House for eight years. We're Kasich the GOP nominee Hillary would almost certainly lose, by picking Trump Hillary is the most likely but not certain winner
    As it stands at the moment Hilary will be President... But who knows what's going to come out about the Clinton's between now and November...

I reckon Trump is one major Clinton scandal away from becoming POTUS.
  • Options

Id

Being a lot more conflict averse in real life than I am here in my keyboard warrior mode,
    See, I'm the opposite. I'm actually an aggressively confrontational individual in real life, so much so I join both BNP and anti-BNP marches just for the thrill of the conflict, and online of for relaxed roleplaying.
  • Options

Unfortunately I think that the legendary Boris laziness is spreading to his verbal output as well. He has been able to get away for so long now with saying whatever he likes because people ssy "oh that's just Boris" that he has got into the mindset where he believes he can say anything he likes without repercussions. Actually having to consider the implications of what he is going to say is hard work and he just doesn't bother.

It is why he will become more of a liability -or at least less of an asset - to Leave as time passes.

To be honest I'm not sure if Boris is a net liability for Leave.

Where I think his style of politics would go horribly awry is if he becomes Prime Minister.
  • Options
    What have Bedford Council said Mike? .. :smile:
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,055
    I doubt that you are a social coward. What is the point of trying to impose your views over other people?

I don't think there is anyone who I can completely openly discuss my views with. PbCOM is as close as it gets to finding out what I really think, and then you don't get the full picture.

My closest friend is a raving right winger..... Another is a leading Marxist. I recently lost a long cherished friend- a diehard Jewist Zionist over a rash comment I made over Israel. I thought he could take it, and I bitterly regret the argument, but I cannot take it back.
    kle4 said:

I'm a bit of a social coward, so I tend to go the offer meaningless remarks approach, agree more obviously with the few bits I do agree with, and occasionally test out what I consider reasonable alternative viewpoints in a 'some people say' kind of way, but don't press it if they respond negatively to it.

The only time someone said something I disliked so much I had to disagree vehemently wasn't really political, it was a general discussion about immigration, and they expressed their distaste for n-word music.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I stick with my original reaction - he's dog whistled Chamberlain at Cameron, pointed out how many feel about German dominance of the EU and this must be predicated on Leave private polling. The DT wouldn't knock BoJo.
  • Options

If they do then they're nuts.

Boris has just implied that Hitler wanted to recreate the 'golden age of peace and prosperity under the Romans' but that it ended badly.

On balance I think it's Boris who's shown himself up.
    Nuts, or just an opinion different to yours, but not dishonourable.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

kle4 said:

But that is a question of tactics. What Stark Dawning is saying everyone should be as horrified by this as they were by Ken, or they're not honourable.
    Personally I don't think his words were as bad as Ken's, which mangled historical facts more in addition to suggesting it was only later Hitler 'went mad', but they weren't great - a little too vague and open to similar interpretation (though of course Hitler's idea of a golden age of peace and prosperity would be a genocidal nightmare for anyone non-germanic and the peace of the grave).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,914
    Didn't know Lenin was so popular...but then Hitler appears to be making a comeback, so anything is possible.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If I understand Plato's post below correctly, Boris thinks Hitler was trying to recreate a golden age of prosperity. So you are right: they are different comparisons. Unfortunately, Boris's comparison is actually worse than Ken's.
    Do you or William Glen think Hitler didn't want prosperity? Surely that's exactly what he wanted, just on his own terms.
  • Options
    F1: racing incident, no penalty for either Rosberg or Hamilton.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that's a good point. I, for one, will only speak Esperanto if we leave.
  • Options
    Well I hope I find time to listen to that, as I assumed English's position was mostly down to American dominance thesedays.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    From Lewis Baston’s paper for The Fabians, 2016 locals aggregate in Labour held marginals

Wirral West: Con 43.9 Lab 39
    Birmingham Edgobastan: Lab 40.9 Con 40.2
    Wirral South: Lab 37.5 Con 32.7 LD 17.8
    Birmingham Nortfield: Lab 39.5 Con 35.4 UKIP 15.8
    Coventry South: Lab 44.3 Con 37.7
    Bolton NE: Lab 39.7 Con 31.8 UKIP 18.7
    Dewsbury: Lab 42.6 Con 35.5
    Wolverhampton SW: Lab 46.6 Con 37.6
    Newcastle under Lyme: Lab 39 Con 29 UKIP 14
    Coventry NW: Lab 44.5 Con 31.6
    Dudley North: Lab 43.7% UKIP 28.8% Con 25.9%
    Bury South: Lab 45.6 Con 27.4
    Bristol East: LAb 42 Con 24.9
    Halifax: Lab 46.5 Con 28.4
    Batley & Spen: Lab 42% Con 23.7% UKIP 15.7%
    Wakefield: Lab 44.5 Con 25.7
    Southampton Test: Lab 44.3 Con 23.6
    Walsall North: Lab 47.3 Con 24.8
  • Options

viewcode said:

Boris's argument is:
    * Rome built a superstate
    * Napoleon tried to build a superstate
    * Hitler tried to build a superstate
    * EU tries to build a superstate
    * Therefore EU=Hitler

That's not actually logic, as illustrated thus:
    * Rome build roads
    * Napoleon built roads
    * Hitler built roads
    * Truman built roads
    * Therefore Truman=Hitler

I'm sure somebody more industrious than I will be able to google the logical fallacy here. But I have work to do today, so laters, peeps.
  • Options
    EICIPMEICIPM Posts: 55
    Latest ICM (Gold Standard)

LEAVE 330
    REMAIN 298
    DK 5
    NI 17

Leave majority of 10
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's just another symptom of the panic.

What panic?

Remain have lined up a series of heavyweight commentators from all round the World.

The Brexit reply has been

SHUT UP!

SACK HIM!

HITLER!

Only one of these campaigns is exhibiting signs of panic...
    Remain's campaign seems to be shouting "£4,300" at the top of their voices, and if anyone points out how fabricated it is, to respond by shouting louder. The very crux of the Remain campaign is a big lie, and every Remain politician backing the number is a disgrace.
This discussion has been closed.