Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE should deploy David Davis – the only person apart fro

SystemSystem Posts: 11,724
edited May 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LEAVE should deploy David Davis – the only person apart from Clegg to have beaten Cameron in a TV devate

What’s very striking so far in the campaign is the lack of effective communication skills amongst the LEAVE team. Iain Duncan Smith once again this morning showed how right Tory MPs were to sack him in 2003 and Gove hardly comes over convincingly though his writing is better than his TV appearances.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    First like Trump.
  • Options
    On topic, if Leave follow your suggestion you should have a bet on Davis for Tory leader.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,702
    Smear Khan, I so misread that as Shere Khan.

If Leave need David Davis, then they really are having a shite campaign.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    SeanT said:

Can you get any more ridiculous?

"The most striking thing about the campaign so far is the lack of effective communication skills in LEAVE"

Poll of polls:

REMAIN: 50
    LEAVE: 50

"Boris twice sacked for dishonesty... Boris judged that badly"

Reuters: Twice as many voters trust Boris Johnson on Europe, as compared to David Cameron

I'll tell you who's having a fucking terrible EU referendum campaign. Politicalbetting.com

This is meant to be a betting site, If anyone new came to the site looking to make money from Euroref, they'd get the impression REMAIN was 30 points ahead, and bet accordingly, and lose.

Get a grip.

calm down dear
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    SeanT said:

"The most striking thing about the campaign so far is the lack of effective communication skills in LEAVE"

Poll of polls:

Reuters: Twice as many voters trust Boris Johnson on Europe, as compared to David Cameron

I'll tell you who's having a fucking terrible EU referendum campaign. Politicalbetting.com

This is meant to be a betting site, If anyone new came to the site looking to make money from Euroref, they'd get the impression REMAIN was 30 points ahead, and bet accordingly, and lose.

Get a grip.

That's because there've been many more online surveys than phone polls where the smallest IN lead is 7%.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Is Mike running a one man campaign against Boris? :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

No, he has a team. ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,219
    edited May 2016
    Indeed were Davis to beat Cameron in a debate on the EU and the result was less than a convincing Remain victory he becomes a strong contender replace Cameron as Tory leader and PM
  • Options

It`s a coordinated campaign when it comes to the EU ...the UK is one of only four countries out of the 28 that are net contributors there are a hell off a lot of bureaucrats that rely on our contribution for their livelihood

Sean, careful you dont want to get banned. Sadly though this placed morphed from a non aligned site to a site championing a lib dem orange book / national liberal viewpoint around the time that the Tory Libdem coapition honeymoon period ended.

Its their site though sonit is up to them but it has to be remembered that the EU is something very dear to Libdem and National Liberal aka Tory Wet hearts.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    PB Fantasy League decision day....

TSE has work to do...

not to be relegated to ConUKIP Home Fantasy League for 16/17
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    HYUFD said:

Indeed we're Davis to beat Cameron in a debate on the EU and the result was less than a convincing Leave victory he becomes a strong contender to replace Cameron as Tory leader and PM

Had Davis beaten Cameron in 2005, I'm not sure he would have been electorally successful. I convinced though that he would have made a better PM. Cameron has no "bottom" - so he staggers from one incident to the next with very little sense of consistency
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

Poll of polls:

Get a grip.

It is hard to pick out a value bet on Brexit.

The closest that I see are Leave at 3.35 and Remain on 40-45% at 22 on betfair.

On the whole the markets look pretty convinced that Remain will win by about 5%.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    Leave do not need great spokespeople as they have the best message: Vote Leave and put an end to mass immigration. You don't need to be a great orator or debater to get that point across. It's simple, it feeds into a narrative the government has played no small part in creating and, on the face of it, it looks cost-free. What is not to like?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Brexit betting today has been inching towards Remain. In the absence of polling that can only be on deductions that Leave isn't seeming as if it is doing well.

I do wonder whether big money gamblers might underrate immigration concerns and overrate economic concerns. But if we see a poll with Remain in a clear lead, we might see Leave's price lengthen in a flash.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.
    It does look kind of daft on here at the moment.

Boris won Labour City London (twice) and Labour won it back as soon as Boris stood down.

Boris is more trusted by the public than Cameron to tell the truth over the EU.

Yet, according to this website, he's a terrible politician, a national embarrassment and an all round no-nothing disaster area....

Something doesn't quite add up? :no_mouth:
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    "For whatever reason the official LEAVE outfit is opposed to Farage having any role".

The reason is because the LEAVE campaign has been ratfucked, to use the Nixonian expression.

I mean...excluding its best player isn't exactly rational otherwise.

Still, popular contempt for the immigration that the political class has supported for so long, ignoring popular opposition, may yet win the referendum for LEAVE.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed we're Davis to beat Cameron in a debate on the EU and the result was less than a convincing Leave victory he becomes a strong contender to replace Cameron as Tory leader and PM

Had Davis beaten Cameron in 2005, I'm not sure he would have been electorally successful. I convinced though that he would have made a better PM. Cameron has no "bottom" - so he staggers from one incident to the next with very little sense of consistency
    Yes not impossible it could be Davis v Corbyn/McDonnell in 2020
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Surely the huge flaw in Mike's proposal is that Cameron has made it absolutely clear he will not debate with Davis or any other Tory.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339
    Mike is absolutely right that handing the Leave leadership to these eurosceptic Tories was an act of utmost folly. Farage and UKIP seem the embodiment of deftness and professionalism in comparison. We hear this morning that Leave are now resurrecting the ghost of Nick Ridley to be their spiritual godfather. Unbelievable. Nevertheless, Davis is no solution. More suited to Agincourt re-enactments than serious politics, he was last heard making boorish and faintly homophobic comments about Nick Clegg in London bars. Best to steer clear.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Leave do not need great spokespeople as they have the best message: Vote Leave and put an end to mass immigration. You don't need to be a great orator or debater to get that point across. It's simple, it feeds into a narrative the government has played no small part in creating and, on the face of it, it looks cost-free. What is not to like?

It's a great message. Except that it's a lie. Mass migration is an unstoppable force driven by economics, not by EU/UK politics.
  • Options
    Incidentally Leicester has set up for a very attacking side away at Chelsea. Gray (who is learning very quickly from Mahrez) is my tip for a goal, and Vardy wants 2 so he can get the golden boot.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

Incidentally Leicester has set up for a very attacking side away at Chelsea. Gray (who is learning very quickly from Mahrez) is my tip for a goal, and Vardy wants 2 so he can get the golden boot.

cough, kane might score you know
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.

Boris won Labour City London (twice) and Labour won it back as soon as Boris stood down.

Yet, according to this website, he's a terrible politician, a national embarrassment and an all round no-nothing disaster area....

Well quite. Leave Can't Win Because Reasons Part 94. Repeat.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Another fascinating day. Let's review...

BREXIT: America will welcome us with open arms!

American President: Maybe not.

BEXIT: He should shut up!!!

BREXIT: We will all be richer.

Governor of the bank of England. No we won't.

BEXIT: He should shut up! And be sacked!

BREXIT: The EU is like Hitler!

And how have PBers responded to these developments?

REMAINERS ARE PANICKING!!!!

Not seeing it currently...
  • Options
    I'd argue that without the diet of Lib Dems can't be killed before GE2015, many would have been a great deal more cautious about their LD seat betting.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.

This is a bit like Labour supporters a few years ago.

Me: Ed's ratings are a bit crap

Labour Supporters: But Labour are leading in the polls, with double digit leads.

Hand on heart, do you really think Boris comparing the EU to Hitler is a good decision, it will only enthuse those who were already voting Leave, and put off floating voters.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

That's because there've been many more online surveys than phone polls where the smallest IN lead is 7%.

I think I've missed something but why so we think phone polls are more reliable than online polls?

As far as I remember at the general election, none of the pollsters covered themselves with glory (even the once mighty ICM)

This idea what we discount online polls in favour of phone polls looks a bit like "cheeypicking" polls we don't like which was a BIG faux pas on here when I first started ten years ago?
  • Options

Brexit betting today has been inching towards Remain. In the absence of polling that can only be on deductions that Leave isn't seeming as if it is doing well.

I do wonder whether big money gamblers might underrate immigration concerns and overrate economic concerns. But if we see a poll with Remain in a clear lead, we might see Leave's price lengthen in a flash.

If I read correctly between the lines, Remain are using the same forced question on is Remain/Leave best for the economy/you personally as the Tories used at the last election re the Tories/Dave v Lab/Ed, and they are seeing a big lead for Remain.
  • Options
    People aren't going to change their minds, or make up their minds, having heard utterances by the US President, the head of the Bank of England, or someone from the IMF. The holders of such posts have little credibility.

If the LEAVE outfit decided to involve Nigel Farage, and then it won, it's not as if Farage would sail into Downing Street at the next election. The referendum has eff-all to do with party politics, even if most commentators on it also enjoy commentating on party politics. Sure, some Labourites are having a whale of a time watching the Tory Party savage itself, but they can hardly help out in the process given the position that their own leadership has adopted. All they can do is spectate. The Tory party's referendum-related politics don't cause the referendum to become a conflict between parties. Even the idea of sampling "Labour voters", "Tory voters", etc., and asking whether they will vote REMAIN or LEAVE, or whether they "haven't decided yet", is stupid. Pollsters might as well sample people who like chocolate and who don't like chocolate.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

It's a great message. Except that it's a lie. Mass migration is an unstoppable force driven by economics, not by EU/UK politics.

Yep, I know. But if it wins the referendum it doesn't matter. It's like the SNP's Fibs for Freedom strategy. What happens the day after the result and form thereon in doesn't matter - you have what you want and there is no turning back.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2016
    I have to say, even though all Tories seem to hate him, I do think David Davis is rather good.

Even though he's not exactly going to be winning any Mr Personality awards, he has quite a good and reassuring manner on telly IMO. Plus he's pretty good at getting a point across without sounding like a weird ivory tower academic (Gove) or an evangelical hysterical "frother" (Hannan, increasingly Boris).
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    TonyE said:

Agreed. But people won't understand that they have been sold a pup till it's too late.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.

Boris beat Ken. London was not a Ken city.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.

This is a bit like Labour supporters a few years ago.

Me: Ed's ratings are a bit crap

Labour Supporters: But Labour are leading in the polls, with double digit leads.

Hand on heart, do you really think Boris comparing the EU to Hitler is a good decision, it will only enthuse those who were already voting Leave, and put off floating voters.
    Boris is more trusted than the Prime Minister Re. the EU?

As far as Boris's intervention this morning I doubt it will make much difference either way. Most people will just shrug and say it's "Boris being Boris".

This referendum comes down to:

Economic Security Vs Stopping Unlimited Immigration

Everything else is a side show adding to the gaiety of the nation.
  • Options

I am 90 minutes away from a very tasty return on Tottenham's month-long choke.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

I have to say, even though all Tories seem to hate him, I do think David Davis is rather good.

Even though he's not exactly going to be winning any Mr Personality awards, he has quite a good and reassuring manner on telly IMO. Plus he's pretty good at getting a point across without sounding like a weird ivory tower academic (Gove) or an evangelical hysterical "frother" (Hannan, increasingly Boris).

Davis is our Frank Field, but with a much bigger ego.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Why is immigration unstoppable now, but it wasn't 15 years ago?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.

WTF? Ken was MoL TWICE.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    GIN1138 said:

I think I've missed something but why so we think phone polls are more reliable than online polls?

As far as I remember at the general election, none of the pollsters covered themselves with glory (even the once mighty ICM)

This idea what we discount online polls in favour of phone polls looks a bit like "cheeypicking" polls we don't like which was a BIG faux pas on here when I first started ten years ago?
    56% of GE2015 campaign phone polls had CON leads compared with 10% of online ones.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

GIN1138 said:

56% of GE2015 campaign phone polls had CON leads compared with 10% of online ones.
    By the end of the campaign, hadn't any divergence between phone polls and online polls disappeared?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Leave have the in form team, they should leave well alone.
    Meanwhile, Cameron, Remain's captain and opening bat, is horribly out of nick.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.

WTF? Ken was MoL TWICE.
    And let's not forget he beat the New Labour candidate at the high of New Labour's powers.
  • Options

Yeah but I am on Vardy as TGS at 25-66/1 (mostly ew) so want that Golden boot!

I also am on Leicester as topscoring team at 1000/1 from last August, so there are a few more boxes to tick off before the season closes.
  • Options
    Odd. When Red Ken cited the supposed endorsement of Hitler to discredit a concept he didn't like, there was a near unanimity of fizzing condemnation from the PB Leave community. Boris employs an identical tactic and not a peep. Puzzling.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

GIN1138 said:

Why do we feel that factors making online polls inaccurate continue to apply with totally different demographics. If online polls had Labour ahead then whatever they are doing "wrong" is emphasising the left wing vote, and the left wing vote is largely for remain, so you would except online polls to have Remain ahead more often, but they don't.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited May 2016

I'd argue that without the diet of Lib Dems can't be killed before GE2015, many would have been a great deal more cautious about their LD seat betting.

I said loud and clear several times here in the run up to the election that the tory problem stopping them getting a majority was that from 92-97 onwards Libs were winning seats on the back of borrowed labour voters and the coalition meant those voters were lost, so tories could get a majority on the back of winning those seats back even if they won no seats off Labour. I said that even places like Yeovil could fall and was roundly ridiculed for my efforts.

I told you so.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    JackW said:
    At the moment it does look like were Sanders Democratic nominee he would win a landslide, as it is it will be Hillary and closer
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Surely the huge flaw in Mike's proposal is that Cameron has made it absolutely clear he will not debate with Davis or any other Tory.

That could change in a flash.

That was before Cameron ("Number 10") started calling Boris a Kremlin asset and Boris started comparing the EU with Hitler.
  • Options

Meanwhile, Cameron, Remain's captain and opening bat, is horribly out of nick.

Yup, the endless sledging of Boris right from the get-go tells me Remain are seriously worried by him. He's a rainmaker when it comes to campaigning. Cameron's self destructing and who else is stepping up? I'm not seeing anyone at all.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    PAW said:

Why is immigration unstoppable now, but it wasn't 15 years ago?

Because the great and the good have decided it is so... I am sure its completely coincidental that vast number of said great and the good either work for organisations getting huge handouts from the EU, or are looking forward to nice well remunerated positions once the electorate gets tired of them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

This piece by Matt Singh explains why

http://www.populus.co.uk/2016/03/polls-apart/

ComRes, have also explained why they are only doing phone polling for the EU Referendum

http://www.comres.co.uk/eu-referendum-all-still-to-play-for-by-not-neck-and-neck/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,522
    I can't think of a sensible question to which David Davis is the answer. I find it hard to think of a situation that his contribution would not make worse.

It is genuinely frightening that he came so close to the leadership of the party. Under PM Brown the country would almost certainly be bankrupt by now.
  • Options
    Old Trafford being evacuated.
  • Options

ROFL

Laughing so hard I may hurt myself
  • Options

You're sure they haven't simply confirmed LVG for next season?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Odd. When Red Ken cited the supposed endorsement of Hitler to discredit a concept he didn't like, there was a near unanimity of fizzing condemnation from the PB Leave community. Boris employs an identical tactic and not a peep. Puzzling.

Several Leavers, myself included, have criticized it repeatedly on the previous thread, so certainly not 'not a peep'.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    DavidL said:

Maybe, this is could turn into a fiasco

Manchester United's match will kick off at 3.45pm at the earliest, But City's match is still kicking off at 3pm.
  • Options

And yet another outright lie from Stank_Dawning.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

JackW said:
    At the moment it does look like were Sanders Democratic nominee he would win a landslide, as it is it will be Hillary and closer
    Looks are deceptive in politics.

Seemingly attractive Sanders would be Dukakis Mk II with knobs on. Clinton is the ugly candidate and will win ugly against an uglier Trump.

As political beauty contests go the US electorate know both Trump and Clinton are not bikini material but will opt for Clinton as looking better in evening dress.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Verstappen wins the Spanish GP!

Tipped here by Morris Dancer at 250/1! Lifetime PB Tipster award.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I am a big Davis fan. He has principles and stands by them unlike Cameron.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

That's a cracking tip for @Morris_Dancer! :smiley:
  • Options

DavidL said:

Manchester United's match will kick off at 3.45pm at the earliest, But City's match is still kicking off at 3pm.
    In fairness they should probably at least give City the option of putting their match time back too. Not that this will make any difference. City will win. We blew it against West Ham (and on about 15 other occasions in this unhappy season).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Several Leavers, myself included, have criticized it repeatedly on the previous thread, so certainly not 'not a peep'.
    Fair enough. I must have missed your comments. It's heartening then that at at least some honourable Leavers have lambasted their Leadership's crass misjudgement.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671

Danny565 said:

I am a big Davis fan. He has principles and stands by them unlike Cameron.
    Me too. I don't rate him amazingly highly as a speaker though.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    stjohn said:

Outstanding by @Morris_Dancer. Superb!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

ComRes, have also explained why they are only doing phone polling for the EU Referendum

http://www.comres.co.uk/eu-referendum-all-still-to-play-for-by-not-neck-and-neck/
    The huge flaws in Singh's methodology were exposed when there was a thread dedicated to his claims a few days ago. Basically using Yougov 6 times as if it were 6 separate pollsters completely skewed the results.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

The GitWell Done Mr Dancer, that is the Caesar of tips.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    edited May 2016
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. StJohn, very kind of you :)

As I said, it's been a horrendous season for me. Today, I only had winners at 7/1 and 250/1 ;)

Outstanding race, and an incredible result. I only put a tiny sum on the Verstappen bet but at those odds the return is still my best ever.

If anyone did back it and made hundreds or thousands of pounds, do please fill your basket with my books (under £10 all told): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thaddeus-White/e/B008C6RU98/

So, that's the Button 70/1 2009 champion bet and the Verstappen 250/1 Spanish Grand Prix 2016 bet I need to remember for bragging purposes :D

[Normally I don't spoil races. But I don't normally get a 250/1 winner either].

Edited extra bit: and the winner had already been revealed
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

In fairness they should probably at least give City the option of putting their match time back too. Not that this will make any difference. City will win. We blew it against West Ham (and on about 15 other occasions in this unhappy season).
    If United lose then West Ham could nick their 5th spot.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    GIN1138 said:

Everything else is a side show adding to the gaiety of the nation.

This is accurate. And some commentators are going to be surprised at the high turnout on the Leave side. They don't realise that some people will take the view that they're accustomed to being spoken at by politicians talking about economic security ("jobs") every damned election, but they've never before had a chance to express in a serious and consequential way what they think about immigration.

The message from REMAIN is this: "It's Romanians next door, with chickens out the back, or you lose your job".

And REMAIN want people to be so scared that they say, "Oh please, we're crapping ourselves with fear about losing our jobs, so it'll be fine to have Romanians not just next door, but next door the other way too, and in half the houses on our street, just so long as we keep our jobs. We really trust you on protecting our jobs, and keeping prices down, and everything else to do with the Ekonommy, so we promise we won't say anything more about Romanians and how we increasingly feel as though we're living in the Third World."

That's a tall ticket, and not everyone can be fooled all of the time.
  • Options
    I remember reading an article in the Guardian by the ex editor Peter Preston - who wrote - as he was driven around London - how proud he felt of his role in driving the dull white faces out of London.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

The huge flaws in Singh's methodology were exposed when there was a thread dedicated to his claims a few days ago. Basically using Yougov 6 times as if it were 6 separate pollsters completely skewed the results.
    Err no, this was something totally different.

He used Populus to conduct a phone poll and a online poll on the EURef concurrently.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

Its a safe assumption that any politician who mentions Hitler, or WWII generally, has exposed themselves as someone of varying degrees of ridiculousness and/or contemptibility.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,160
    @SeanT
    @MikeSmithson

There is a hierarchy of polls as follows:

* Online polls. Currently neck-and-neck, trending to LEAVE. Online polls have disproportionate UKIP responders and are believed to have a LEAVE bias
    * Phone polls. Currently slight but definite REMAIN lead. Phone polls have disproportionate affluent/Labour responders and are believed to have a REMAIN bias
    * Betting odds (vote share) and vote share predictors. Slight but definite REMAIN lead. Have been wrong in the past, sometimes spectacularly, and are sensitive to polling errors.
    * Betting odds (probability of win) and p(win) predictors. Very large REMAIN lead, but that's due to the nature of a p(win) prediction - a large probability of a REMAIN win is not the same as being probable that REMAIN will win by a large amount, that's not how it works.

In short, we have many indicators but all have problems and the margins are within the larger errors associated with referenda. I think LEAVE is winning and (mutatis mutandis) will win, and I think that on the-trend-is-your-friend grounds and because REMAIN is not addressing migration, but that's just me: YMMV. I don't think there's any grounds for certainty either way.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

He used Populus to conduct a phone poll and a online poll on the EURef concurrently.
    And still has no way of knowing which one us accurate. GIGO.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

rcs1000 said:

Surely you need to keep the ratio between retirees and working people stable, one way or another, or an ever greater portion of workers' incomes will be spent on supporting non-workers.

There are obviously various ways to do this, but if you have a diminishing number of workers, and a rising number of retirees (as in Japan), then you have similarly serious issues to your 20m on the IoW scenario.

Isn't the problem at least partly solvable by increasing the wealth generated by the working population without increasing their numbers. A worker on say £50k, earned because he or she is generating more than £50k's worth for his/her firm, is going to be paying more tax than probably 3 immigrants on the minimum wage.

Innovation and investment is probably a better route to take than importing more and more workers who come with their own set of costs. That seems to be the route that Japan and other countries are trying (see number of robots in use in Japan and Korea as compared to the UK).

Of course, that is a lot harder thing to set up, it requires a good education system (which we haven't got), managers in companies prepared to look beyond the short term share value (of which we seem to have far too few), and politicians prepared also to look beyond the next election, or even the next set of headlines (are there any?).
    Oh; I am not saying that we should engage in a Ponzi scheme, I am merely pointing out that going too far in either direction is likely to cause you severe problems.

If you look at the workers-to-retirees ratio, you see some scary numbers. Until about 2010, there were approximately 4.5-5.0 retirees per worker in most developed countries. In other words, the fruits of your labour needed to pay for approximately one fifth of a retired person, with all the attendant health costs.

A combination of low birth rates and rising life expectancy is making those numbers look pretty awful. By 2050, it's 1.8 in the UK and just 1.5 in Japan. Just think; that means you need to pay for more than half a retired person every year. In Japan, you need to pay for two-thirds of one.

Now: there are lots of things we can do, and you've mentioned some of them. But we also need to push back retirement dates, and we also probably need to accept much higher taxes on workers to pay for retirees. (Or we need to accept that the workers of tomorrow aren't going to support us in the way we supported our parents.)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    F1: for those who pay attention to the records (probably just me and maybe a couple of others) the Verstappen bet won't be included in them. Still a very good race with a 7/1 winner, but the 251 was made mid-week and had vanished by the time the race came around (he was 41 then).

I'm quite pleased.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

As I said, it's been a horrendous season for me. Today, I only had winners at 7/1 and 250/1 ;)

Outstanding race, and an incredible result. I only put a tiny sum on the Verstappen bet but at those odds the return is still my best ever.

If anyone did back it and made hundreds or thousands of pounds, do please fill your basket with my books (under £10 all told): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thaddeus-White/e/B008C6RU98/

So, that's the Button 70/1 2009 champion bet and the Verstappen 250/1 Spanish Grand Prix 2016 bet I need to remember for bragging purposes :D

Well done. A tip that has made you immortal.
  • Options
    Blimey

A suspect package has been identified in the north-west corner of Old Trafford. The police are on their way to inspect it and the area has been evacuated.
  • Options
    PAW said:

I remember reading an article in the Guardian by the ex editor Peter Preston - who wrote - as he was driven around London - how proud he felt of his role in driving the dull white faces out of London.

@PAW - was it this article? Preston seems to be OK with white faces in South London so as long as they belong to "gentrifiers".
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A two man campaign.

WTF? Ken was MoL TWICE.

So what? Ken lost in 2008 during Labour's mid-term when the Tories also won most seats in the Assembly election (having also won most seats in 2004); and he lost in 2012 having been exposed as a total hypocrite on tax, an anti-Semite and a general liability.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited May 2016
    stjohn said:

Excuse me ....

If the Wiffle Stickmeister had LeicesterFC @ 5000/1 and Verstappen @ 250/1 in a double I might, just might have endorsed that position but as it is ....

JackW
    PB TOTY for Life .... :smiley:
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited May 2016
    We can't say for certain whether the online or phone polls are right or whether neither is. The discrepancy makes it hard to just take the online 50/50 at face value though. Then, Leave appears to have surrendered a lot of ground on the economy. Plus referendums are usually decided in favour of the status quo. I think these things explain the betting position.

Personally, I've gone from thinking Leave would win at the turn of the year to thinking Remain will probably do it. The Remain barrage on the economy has been a lot more powerful than I imagined it would be. Is the public seriously going to vote for something which the Treasury, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Bank of England, IMF etc etc all say is going to make them poorer?

Well, maybe. If enough people see the referendum question as a proxy for "Immigration, hot or not?" then Leave will win.

I'm currently on Leave at 3.7 and 3.85.
  • Options
    The Manchester United v Bournemouth match has been abandoned
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I agree, he was right - like Nate Silver, who was then totally wrong. No one is infallible. Curtice got Labour's performance totally wrong two weeks ago.
  • Options
    John_N4 - no, not that one - it was a few years ago - and I remember the phrase used exactly.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Bravo, Morris. Alms for the love of Allah................................... ;)
  • Options
    When Davis did his 'Ancient Human Rights' flounce, I think I was his only effusive supporter on PB.com amid a consensus of scepticism and downright hostility. Just goes to show that it's not always the case that I'm right and the overwhelming majority are wrong.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

As noted on a previous thread.

How much are you willing to pay (Economic Security) to prevent your neighbour from being able to hire a competent Polish plumber (Stopping Unlimited Immigration) ?
  • Options
    @DavidRoe92: Suspicious package at Old Trafford rumoured to be Rooney's £300k a week
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

So online polls were wrong because they didn't have enough Conservative responders.

But haven't we been told that online polls on the referendum are wrong because they have too many Conservative and UKIP responders ?

• Options

GIN1138 said:

This is a crucial week for Brexit polling, we should be getting three phone polls.

If they do show Remain maintaining/increasing their hefty leads then we're going to see a major modal issue.

If they show Leave leads/shrinking Remain leads, then it is squeaky bum time for Remain.
  • Options

The Manchester United v Bournemouth match has been abandoned

I blame Brexit.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    Which part of the "Ken Hitler Lesson" have LEAVE not learned....

Senior Tories who are backing a 'Brexit' have rallied to support Boris Johnson after the former London Mayor compared the European Union to Hitler’s Nazi Germany.

Chris Grayling, the Leader of the House of Commons, former Cabinet ministers Iain Duncan Smith and Lord Lamont, as well as Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, defended Mr Johnson’s remarks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/15/brexit-tories-back-boris-johnson-saying-his-eunazi-germany-compa/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    Probably a stupid question, but if there were credible private polls showing Leave winning would you expect that to move the betting markets?
  • Options
    Can anyone think of a pro-Tory/pro-Leave polling analyst?

All those I follow on Twitter are obviously left of centre/pro-Remain.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

This is a crucial week for Brexit polling, we should be getting three phone polls.

If they do show Remain maintaining/increasing their hefty leads then we're going to see a major modal issue.

If they show Leave leads/shrinking Remain leads, then it is squeaky bum time for Remain.
    But it is still meaningless because we still won't know which is right.
This discussion has been closed.