Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

Quite the sensation. Maybe Scotland is slowly coming to its senses.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

I wonder whether all of the Green members are pro-independence.

On those numbers the SNP will need Tory support to get their budget through :-)

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Steve Fisher ‏@StephenDFisher
    BBC forecasting team Scottish Parl seats forecast
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Grn 6
    LD 5

Well done Antifrank
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Artist said:

SNP losing their majority, who would have thought it

Mr Meeks who tipped NOM?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,293
    edited May 2016

it's worth noting that parties opposing tax cuts and favouring the 50 pence rate did better in England and Wales than in Scotland.

As did anti-immigration, anti-EU and anti-refugee parties. We all have to own what we own.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jamesrbuk: Labour party's talking points summarised: Ed Miliband was such an election-winning juggernaut that it's unfair to compare to his performance
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

Anti-SNP rainbow coalition? Bye-bye invincible First Minister Nicola? Not holding my breath, but it wouldn't half be funny to see the SNP impotent in both Westminster AND Holyrood...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

RobD said:

That is an extraordinarily good performance by the Conservatives in Scotland.

I'm looking for a word that goes between "surge" and "tsunami"

:D
    This is your bona fide actual surge.
    That was a good Scottish NOM tip whatever happens.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Bye-bye invincible First Minister Nicola?

How long before Alex Salmond launches a leadership bid?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    What an excellent night for the Tories.

Did superb in Scotland and fine in England which wasn't the bloodbath for Labour, which should keep Jez save.
  • Options
    felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

The pro-indy bloc has gone backwards if that is the result. And the Greens are not unequivocal separatists. They opposed FFA, if I remember correctly.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    Morning all,

I threw the towel in at 1:30am as need to work today. Catching up now.

Looks like my prediction of an appalling night for Labour and 300 lost councillors in England was wrong.

In other words a disaster for Labour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

Anti-SNP rainbow coalition? Bye-bye invincible First Minister Nicola? Not holding my breath, but it wouldn't half be funny to see the SNP impotent in both Westminster AND Holyrood...
    The chance of an anti-SNP coalition must be very small, surely.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Prof curtice predicting 31 seats for STories !
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

So Corbyn saying Labour wouldn't lose any seats wasn't far off, was he?

Easily a good enough result for him to remain as leader.

That's right, assuming London also goes as we think - the nationl equivalent share in England and Wales is going to be up, the "don't vote Labour, they're a bunch of Islamists" stuff has really not worked in England, and the Welsh result (-2 to 28, probably) looks respectable too. The Scottish outcome is very nasty for Labour, but even Corbyn's critics would concede that we have very particular problems there and the Tories are doing a good job as portraying themselves as the natural party for unionists.

If Khan wins, everyone will spin it different ways. The truth, I think is that he was a genuinely more convincing candidate than Goldsmith - more focused on the popular issues of housing and fares - and Corbyn is a net positive in London. The Tories tried out a series of attack lines - Khan is a friend of the unions (result: most people felt he'd do a better job getting a deal on the Tube), he's a tool of Corbyn (obviously false and not an issue in London anyway) and latterly the "here's a picture of Khan with a bloke you've never heard of who has extreme Islamist views" stuff (meh). Apart from a bit of greenery, I remain unaware what Goldsmith's positive campaign theme was.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

I require a précis of the night.

Thank you.

BBC reporting Labour doing better than expected whilst also coming 3rd in Scotland.
  • Options

Thank you.

BBC reporting Labour doing better than expected whilst also coming 3rd in Scotland.
    I think they referred to it as "slight losses" in Scotland.... titters :D
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,448

Morning all,

Looks like my prediction of an appalling night for Labour and 300 lost councillors in England was wrong.

No arguing with that...

Although it does at least suggest that Labour retain a core of possible voters in the Midlands and South. They just need to find a way not to panic them at general elections!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    SLAB will likely have only 3 new faces: Daniel Johnson, Richard Leonard and Monica Lennon. The rest who survived are incumbents + Sarwar and McNeill (who was an MSP from 1999 to 2011)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Nope. I am prepared to pay more tax. But I understand I am in a minority. Scotland, like England, is not a left-wing country - though it's worth noting that parties opposing tax cuts and favouring the 50 pence rate did better in England and Wales than in Scotland.

Indeed, Scotland is not a leftwing country. It's small c conservative. Which is why framing INDY as a left/right battle, with INDY on the left, is a calamity for separatists.

Salmond was astute enough to realize this, and avoid it, likesay.

In terms of demographics remeber Scotland is no Liverpool, it's GDP per head is second only to London and south east and has fewer immigrants also. Vote for left wing parties =/= wanting higher taxes as SLab now know.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Bye-bye invincible First Minister Nicola?

How long before Alex Salmond launches a leadership bid?
    Let him have his breakfast first....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thank you.

Who is writing their script - the Japanese Emperor?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Prof curtice predicting 31 seats for STories !

Ruth for PM? RIGRIPM?
  • Options
    @journodave: West of Scotland region list: LAB: 3 CON 3 Green 1 #SP16
  • Options

RobD said:

Thank you.

Who is writing their script - the Japanese Emperor?
    Heh, I was only joking, but based on an historical pattern of BBC playing down Tory success :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

Labour teaming up with Cons would be their total death warrant. Indepencistas have switched to SNP or Green, the hard core Unionists have switched to Cons. The ones who are left are Labour till they die f*ck the Conservatives. To team up with the cons would be to to disband SLab.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MM Comical Ali..I often wonder what happened to him..shaved off hIs moustache and joined the BBC..
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

Labour teaming up with Cons would be their total death warrant. Indepencistas have switched to SNP or Green, the hard core Unionists have switched to Cons. The ones who are left are Labour till they die f*ck the Conservatives. To team up with the cons would be to to disband SLab.
    Hence the very small chance! ;)
  • Options
    West Scotland MSPs elected

Neil Bibby MSP LAB
    Mary Fee MSP LAB
    Ken Macintosh MSP LAB

Jamie Greene CON
    Maurice Golden CON
    Maurice Corry CON

Ross Greer Greens
  • Options

felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

The pro-indy bloc has gone backwards if that is the result. And the Greens are not unequivocal separatists. They opposed FFA, if I remember correctly.

Too many peopel thought it was safe to dabble with a Green vote.

I am genuinely surprised by how low the SNP constituency vote is.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SLAB will likely have only 3 new faces: Daniel Johnson, Richard Leonard and Monica Lennon. The rest who survived are incumbents + Sarwar and McNeill (who was an MSP from 1999 to 2011)

An even shallower pool in which to fish for a new leader.
  • Options
    Also, this is definitely a realignment in Scottish politics.

It is a new reality not a temporary thing.
  • Options
    @AidanKerrPol: There's more Tories called Maurice or Mundelll than Scottish Labour constituency MSPs #SP16
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Constituencies: Labour 514k votes, Tories 501k.

Tories 44k ahead on regional list at the moment.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Final Total Constituency Vote shares (all seats declared):

SNP 46.5
    Lab 22.6
    Con 22.0
    LD 7.8
  • Options
    @AliStoddart1: .@EdinburghZoo How many Zebras do you have? I am trying to find a new animal that you have more of than Tories in @ScotParl #SP16
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

The judgment for all the other parties in Scotland must be when is the best time to inflict the greatest harm on the SNP. To have them lose control of the officers of Government would be a seismic shock. But perhaps the better tactic is to keep them kettled in Holyrood, striking down policy where that would be popular, but letting a weakened SNP take the blame for everything that goes wrong...
  • Options
    North Wales regional seats

UKIP 2
    Plaid 1
    Con 1
  • Options
    Alistair said:

You mean the nats will finally have to admit there are more than two Scottish Tories? :D

Truly the result of the night
  • Options
    Alistair said:

felix said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

Too many peopel thought it was safe to dabble with a Green vote.

I am genuinely surprised by how low the SNP constituency vote is.
    The turnout in Scotland was up by 5% wasn't it?

It looks like Scots have got used to voting. Good for democracy good for Remain.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Elected in North Wales

Nathan Gill MEP and Margaret Brown for UKIP

Llyr Griffith AM for Plaid Cymru

Mark Isherwood AM for the Conservatives
  • Options

That's right, assuming London also goes as we think - the nationl equivalent share in England and Wales is going to be up, the "don't vote Labour, they're a bunch of Islamists" stuff has really not worked in England, and the Welsh result (-2 to 28, probably) looks respectable too. The Scottish outcome is very nasty for Labour, but even Corbyn's critics would concede that we have very particular problems there and the Tories are doing a good job as portraying themselves as the natural party for unionists.

If Khan wins, everyone will spin it different ways. The truth, I think is that he was a genuinely more convincing candidate than Goldsmith - more focused on the popular issues of housing and fares - and Corbyn is a net positive in London. The Tories tried out a series of attack lines - Khan is a friend of the unions (result: most people felt he'd do a better job getting a deal on the Tube), he's a tool of Corbyn (obviously false and not an issue in London anyway) and latterly the "here's a picture of Khan with a bloke you've never heard of who has extreme Islamist views" stuff (meh). Apart from a bit of greenery, I remain unaware what Goldsmith's positive campaign theme was.

If Corbyn is a net positive in London we should see big GLA gains for Labour today. Khan ran a campaign in which Corbyn did not feature at all.

Corbyn has failed to halt Labour's decline in Scotland, Labour has lost its majority in Wales. In England the party has failed to advance in battleground areas from the catastrophic position it found itself in last year.

We have an inept government led by a party that is split down the middle. Labour has made almost no impression on its lead. Your complacency is not surprising, but in deciding to follow the hard left to comprehensive defeat you are abandoning the people Labour is supposed to care about and consigning them to the mercies of a perpetual Tory rule. Congratulations!

• Options
    edited May 2016

The Lab Welsh result is diabolical.

Vote share 34.7% - down 7.5%.

(After 39 of 40 seats)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    MikeL said:

SNP 46.5
    Lab 22.6
    Con 22.0
    LD 7.8

Six pollsters - range of final findings 16%-19%,

• Options
    Zoomers on Twitter already talking up "Greens will vote with the SNP anyway"...

Right?
  • Options
    @faisalislam: SNP manifesto wording on 2nd indyref, specifically referencing Brexit vote as poss trigger..Not in Green manifesto https://t.co/znEjatJoe3
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

BBC Forecast:
    SNP 63
    Con 31
    Lab 24
    Green 6
    LD 5

I wonder whether all of the Green members are pro-independence.
    That's a surprisingly good performance for the libdems. I expected them to lose a constituency seat in H&I, and only to pick up one other list seat.
    Surely on account of your father wearing his tartan Y fronts .... on alternate gays from the Burnley FC pairs obviously .... :smile:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,992
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Because it's interesting to some people, that's why it is important. Don't forget Wiki is global and globally a lesbian party leader is unusual enough to be mentioned.

Who is it interesting to?
    Well you picked up on it for starters. For me, I can't think of any other gay or lesbian party leaders we've had before so its noteworthy on that basis alone as SeanT just wrote.
    Ted Heath (probably)?
    Martin Webster was the first openly gay leader of a political party, the National Front, from 1980-84.
    Do you think it's the uniforms that first attached him?

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Because it's interesting to some people, that's why it is important. Don't forget Wiki is global and globally a lesbian party leader is unusual enough to be mentioned.

Who is it interesting to?
    Well you picked up on it for starters. For me, I can't think of any other gay or lesbian party leaders we've had before so its noteworthy on that basis alone as SeanT just wrote.
    Ted Heath (probably)?
    Martin Webster was the first openly gay leader of a political party, the National Front, from 1980-84.
    One of my earliest memories of PB was off you listing the exotic sexual behaviour of the Far Right in the UK
    Bizarrely, the official policy of the NF was to criminalise homosexuality.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,852
    Scott_P said:

Zoomers on Twitter already talking up "Greens will vote with the SNP anyway"...

Right?

The SNP are in favour of reducing Air Passenger Duty in Scotland - the Greens are not, so that could be interesting.
  • Options
    @holyroodmandy: .@theSNP minority government ahead? Will first casualty be Named Person policy with @scottishlabour propping up @ScotTories #SP16
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

You mean the nats will finally have to admit there are more than two Scottish Tories? :D

Truly the result of the night
    First thing on Nicola's To-Do list this morning: phone Beijing, ask them for 10 20 30 more pandas....
  • Options
    @journodave: Looks like Patrick Harvie is going to become Nicola Sturgeon's named person. #SP16
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited May 2016
    Apologies but ARSE4EU will be AWOL this morning ....

According to her ladyship !! .... :anguished:
  • Options
    ruth for next con leader!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

MikeL said:

SNP 46.5
    Lab 22.6
    Con 22.0
    LD 7.8

Six pollsters - range of final findings 16%-19%,

Shy Tories alert. That is the thing that farked my constituency betting.
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    Is it possible the really big story of the night - when looked back upon in 10 years- is that we have passed peak SNP?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited May 2016
    SeanT said:

Scotland deadlocked.

SNP: 60
    Others: 60

BBC

Bye bye indyref 2. Not that it was ever likely (Brexit apart)

Time for a rainbow coalition (against the SNP)?

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Morning all,

No arguing with that...

Although it does at least suggest that Labour retain a core of possible voters in the Midlands and South. They just need to find a way not to panic them at general elections!
    Without seeing the numbers, I expect that in the South, UKIP have taken a large number of Conservative votes from 2015, but not enough to make big gains.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Here is the Zoomer line...

@Frasergrant: An SNP/Green Indy alliance v a Tory opposition is the perfect climate for winning indyref2.

ROFLMAO
  • Options
    JackW said:

Apologies but ARSE4EU will be AWOL this morning ....

According to her ladyship !! .... :shock:

Has your ARSE4EU been disturbed by the Scottish Tory surge?
  • Options
    @c_crampton: Full update on the Scottish results, including this very depressing nugget from @stephenkb https://t.co/X925OtfSTb https://t.co/lapNtECy3b
  • Options
    quelle surprise

Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe · 6m6 minutes ago

Diane Abbott trolling Khan: "More people have heard of Jeremy than have heard of Sadiq. In London, it’s all about Jeremy."

• Options
    @faisalislam: There's no clear mandate for a second Scottish referendum in next five years even if Britain votes for EU exit - significant news....
  • Options
    Ruth couldn't become PM without any Ministerial experience - not realistic.

NEW THREAD!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    New thread now up.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    SeanT said:

Scotland deadlocked.

BBC

Err you seem to have misplaced 9 MSPs.
  • Options
    Good night for Greens in Scotland.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Scotland deadlocked.

BBC

Current results?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

If Corbyn is a net positive in London we should see big GLA gains for Labour today. Khan ran a campaign in which Corbyn did not feature at all.

Corbyn has failed to halt Labour's decline in Scotland, Labour has lost its majority in Wales. In England the party has failed to advance in battleground areas from the catastrophic position it found itself in last year.

We have an inept government led by a party that is split down the middle. Labour has made almost no impression on its lead. Your complacency is not surprising, but in deciding to follow the hard left to comprehensive defeat you are abandoning the people Labour is supposed to care about and consigning them to the mercies of a perpetual Tory rule. Congratulations!

I know you've been legendarily open-minded about his Jezness throughout his tenure, but if you don't mind me saying, that seems quite a carefully crafted test. From what I can see so far we have the following

- very poor Labour performance in Scotland (but due to quite specific factors as SeanT has commented and in line with Miliband's performance there)
    - moderately poor Labour and slightly worse Conservative performance in Wales: doesn't look too bad for GE equivalent unless Plaid make a massive breakthrough
    - better than forecast Labour performance in English locals, looking at share of vote, which is the only realistic comparator
    - likely substantial success for Labour in London, though maybe not stellar (hence, I assume, your requirement for "big GLA gains" for it to be called a success

On the "battleground areas" test, what's the position (I'm not disagreeing with you, I genuinely don't know)? Are we seeing Labour improving the position in England generally, but only where it doesn't matter?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058

Thank you.

Day foretold in prophecy arrives, Tory surge arrives

Wales dull as mostly static, and Labour not thrashed in England.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Scotland deadlocked.

BBC

Current results?
    Nope.
  • Options
    It would be a big error to try to cobble together an anti-SNP coalition whose members have nothing in common with each other. It would be a shambles.

If the Conservatives can corner the right wing Unionist vote in Scotland, they can regain several middle class, and rural seats, making their position in the Commons a lot more comfortable.

It's hard to see where SLAB goes from here. They're like the Liberals after 1920. They no longer have a clear purpose, and they're getting squeezed from both ends.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    The swing to Labour in Sheffield Brightside with both Tories and UKIP down is striking. I don't know the area at all, but it seems to include Hillsborough, where the football disaster happened on which the report recently vindicated campaigners like Andy Burnham. Might that be relevant?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Huge vote in Scotland for tax cutting parties that oppose raising top rate to 50 pence. First time since 1955 that the Tories have won more votes than Labour there.

I am sure the Tories beat Labour in Scotland at the 1968 Local elections - possibly also 1969.
This discussion has been closed.