Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

Don't write her off yet...

Sky News
    Dugdale fails to win constituency seat but may still be elected on regional list

It really ought not to be possible for people to stand for both the regional list and an individual constituency. Make a choice - and live with the democratic result.
    Isn't that what Leanne did?
    Very possibly - but that doesn't make it right.
    No, I was wondering if Leanna only stood in the constituency.

Checked wiki, and she stood on both.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Torfaen - Lab hold. 20% majority

Cardiff South - Lab hold. 22% majority
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Arf Just seen where Eastwood is on an electoral map.

Must have been a while since Glasgow was more Tory than Labour :p
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I see the "Abolish the Welsh Assembly Party" as 3.9% of the list vote. Not enough to get a list seat I suppose?

• Options
    MikeL said:

Digest this figure:

Lab is on 33% in WALES!

WALES!

Lab has no bigger heartland anywhere in the UK than Wales.

And they are on 33%. Breathtaking.

Keir Hardie must be spinning !
  • Options

I see the "Abolish the Welsh Assembly Party" as 3.9% of the list vote. Not enough to get a list seat I suppose?

Very appropriate ;)
  • Options
    Are we going to get an equivalent national share?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

FPT - What a cracking photo of OGH’s grandfather on the stumps.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

No. There are only 12 seats in each region, so the threshold for winning a seat is about 7% (the actual amount depends on the constituency seats and the vote split, because there are not enough top-up seats to make it properly proportional).

• Options
    RobD said:

I do hope solar
  • Options
    Looks like the BBC broadcast is about to end :(

Is Sky still running theirs?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

An ironic sidenote: it's possible Corbyn's "prediction" that Labour will not lose seats in England might come true. Overall. The prediction he had to laboriously retract.

Well they already have lost seats - not yet near three figures - but they have still lost them. The first opposition to do so in 3 decades.

They might win lots and lots in the counts later this morning - but it is looking unlikely
    Unlikely - but not impossible.

This is good as we really want Corbyn in situ.

The significant retreat in vote share in Wales and Scotland is going to hamper any possibility of Labour progress.

But Corbyn doesn't really see anything outside of his Islington blinkers

I agree that he is safe - for now.

It is a bad night for Labour - just not bad enough to encourage a challenge.
    Yes, it's very difficult for Labour to come back in Westminster without a significant recovery in Scotland. But it's hard to see that happening before 2025. And maybe never, with the SNP now entrenched as the centre left party north of the border.

The one grain of hope for Labour is the first signs of Nat decline at Holyrood. This win for Sturgeon feels a bit like Blair in 2005. The wheels will come off the SNP bus, probably in this parliament. Nothing is forever.
    Though if SLAB gets closer to extinction and the SNP becomes a devolutionist rather than seperatist party then a formal Westminster pact may well be more viable.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    RobD said:

Vs 2015, it's Con -3, Lab +3 so overall just about a tie (Con won GE by 6.5%)

But that's based on England only.

(As BBC local key wards analysis is England only).
  • Options
    Laura's overall "message" is more pro Con than an hour ago.

Emphasising "status quo" - with a potential big Con plus in Scotland.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

No. There are only 12 seats in each region, so the threshold for winning a seat is about 7% (the actual amount depends on the constituency seats and the vote split, because there are not enough top-up seats to make it properly proportional).

So how many assembly top up seats will the kippers get?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

And I suspect they have chosen that way of presenting the figures very carefully.

The BBC are looking as hard as they can to find ways of making this a bad night for the Tories.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Delighted to just hear that Annie Wells has just become the Scottish Conservatives 2nd MSP on Glasgow list. We now have as many Glasgow MSPs as we have Pandas in Edinburgh! :)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Two Tories elected on the Glasgow list (4 Lab, only 1 Green).

BBC Parliament has the Scottish coverage.
  • Options

MikeL said:

RobD said:

And I suspect they have chosen that way of presenting the figures very carefully.

The BBC are looking as hard as they can to find ways of making this a bad night for the Tories.
    No.

They also said (with equal prominence) that it's Lab -4, Con 0 vs 2012.
  • Options
    Glasgow list seats

4 Lab
    2 Con
    1 Green
  • Options

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Just caught up with the Labour talking points that were revealed on air by Laura K. And the official Labour line was to do a comparison with 2015 rather than 2012. She made the point that the only accurate measure was to compare like with like.

And what are the BBC doing? Following the Labour line.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Still waiting for key Welsh seats Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff Central and Cardiff North.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

No.

But the BBC political editor said earlier in the evening that the 2015 comparison was bogus - yet they are leading with it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Therefore elected

Anas Sarwar
    Johan Lamont
    James Kelly
    Pauline McNeill

Adam Tompkins
    Annie Wells

Partick Harvey

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited May 2016
    Looks like there'll be plenty for the Stupid party's useful idiots to latch onto from the results. So Corbyn will remain in place to lead them to catastrophe in 2020.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

No.

But the BBC political editor said earlier in the evening that the 2015 comparison was bogus - yet they are leading with it.
    No - they gave both.

I'm a Con supporter and I'm bored stiff of the anti BBC spin.
  • Options

Two Tories elected on the Glasgow list (4 Lab, only 1 Green).

BBC Parliament has the Scottish coverage.

How long has this show been going on for? Would have switched over hours ago!
    Do enjoy watching Hosie too, and I spy him on the panel.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Therefore elected

Anas Sarwar
    Johan Lamont
    James Kelly
    Pauline McNeill

Labour will do themselves no favours by sticking that bunch of proven losers in through the backdoor. Ruth OTOH has done herself a huge turn by WINNING properly.
  • Options

Looks like there'll be plenty gor the Stupid party's useful idiots to latch onto from the results. So Corbyn will remain in place to lead them to catastrophe in 2020.

From tonights results it looks as if Corbyn will not win in 2020 (though who knows what might happen in a Tory Inner vs Outer bloodbath) but hardly a catastrophe, and its hard to imagine a campaign going any worse than last weeks Nazier than you news.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Just caught up with the Labour talking points that were revealed on air by Laura K. And the official Labour line was to do a comparison with 2015 rather than 2012. She made the point that the only accurate measure was to compare like with like.

A 3% swing, compared to 2015, implies a Conservative lead of 3.5% in England. Add in the Scottish and Welsh results, and the Conservatives would be about 3% ahead in Great Britain.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

No.

No - they gave both.

They gave both - but with the 2015 comparision (which their own Political Editor said was bogus) first.

Why give any coverage to a comparison that you have said is inappropriate?

Someone made that decision. And it undermines their own Political Editor.

I am pro-BBC - but very anti-BBC journalism.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

JohnLoony said:

So how many assembly top up seats will the kippers get?
    Probably 1 or 2 in each region, depending on how they are spread or split.

• Options
    MSP elected from Lothian list

Miles Briggs (Con)
    Alison Johnstone (Greens)
    Kezia Dugdale (Lab)
    Gordon Lindhurst (Con)
    Neil Findlay (Lab)
    Jeremy Balfour (Con)
    Andy Wightman (Green)
  • Options
    Lothian list

3 Con, 2 Lab, 2 Grn

6-4-3-2-1 overall inc constituencies
  • Options
    Lothian:
    3 CON
    2 GRN
    2 LAB
  • Options
    edited May 2016

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

No.

No - they gave both.

They gave both - but with the 2015 comparision (which their own Political Editor said was bogus) first.

Why give any coverage to a comparison that you have said is inappropriate?

Someone made that decision. And it undermines their own Political Editor.

I am pro-BBC - but very anti-BBC journalism.
    Disagree.

Sorry - can't be bothered with any more partisan knockabout - total waste of time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

A 3% swing, compared to 2015, implies a Conservative lead of 3.5% in England. Add in the Scottish and Welsh results, and the Conservatives would be about 3% ahead in Great Britain.
    Which is, of course, pretty much what the polls are saying. A good night for them.
    Not much sign of an anti-Cameron backlash on these results.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Mid Scotland & Fife

4 CON
    2 LAB
    1 GRN

(8 SNP & 1 LD in the constituencies)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Tories aren't going to beat Labour on the constituency section.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2016/scotland/results
  • Options

Looks like there'll be plenty gor the Stupid party's useful idiots to latch onto from the results. So Corbyn will remain in place to lead them to catastrophe in 2020.

From tonights results it looks as if Corbyn will not win in 2020 (though who knows what might happen in a Tory Inner vs Outer bloodbath) but hardly a catastrophe, and its hard to imagine a campaign going any worse than last weeks Nazier than you news.

Labour will be hammered in 2020. The anti-Semitism stuff has only just begun. The Stupid party's leadership has spent decades cosying up to Jew-haters and baiters, that can't be expunged. And we've still got all the other associations and anti-western positions to drip out, plus the abandonment of Trident to work through. Let's also remember this inept government has hardly been setting the world on fire. The headlines for the Tories haven't been exactly wonderful.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Looks like there'll be plenty for the Stupid party's useful idiots to latch onto from the results. So Corbyn will remain in place to lead them to catastrophe in 2020.

It's looks to me like Sadiq Khan could well end up as leader of the sane wing of the labour party in the medium/long term.

40/1 to replace Corbyn....
  • Options
    I can only assume the SNP will be picking up some list seats somewhere :D
  • Options
    Mid Scotland and Fife list seats

4 Conservative
    2 Labour
    1 Green
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's going to be very close as to whether they win a majority.
  • Options
    Pong said:

It's looks to me like Sadiq Khan could well end up as leader of the sane wing of the labour party in the medium/long term.

He can only be a candidate if he is an MP. And that seems unlikely.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Tories aren't going to beat Labour on the constituency section.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2016/scotland/results

Doing a tiny bit better on the list though ;)
  • Options
    Vale of Glamorgan - Lab hold.

Jane Hutt survives again
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Which is, of course, pretty much what the polls are saying. A good night for them.
    Indeed not. The worry for Cameron, on an otherwise pretty satisfactory night, is the fact the polls are proving accurate, as I just mentioned. That implies the EU vote really IS very tight.

The phone and online polls can't both be right, though. It's only tight if the online polls are correct.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Claire Baker and Alex Rowley are the 2 Labour survivors from Mid Scotland & Fife list

Murdo Fraser Liz Smith Dean Lockhart Alexander Stewart are the Tory MSPs

and Mark Russell is elected for the Greens
  • Options
    Best possible night for Cameron. Corbyn slightly weakened but nothing more.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Breaking News:

John Curtice says SNP at risk of failing to secure an overall majority.

In that case there's no chance of a referendum.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Curtice:

- SNP may not get majority
    - Con comfortably second
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Best possible night for Cameron. Corbyn slightly weakened but nothing more.

Tactical Tory voters sitting on their hands :D
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

*cough*
  • Options
    By my [hasty!] calcs, Labour were next in line in all three regions so far. i.e. if there had been one more list seat awarded in each region, they would have got it.

Heart of stone etc.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

*cough*
    Care for a lozenge? :p
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

What about the Greens?

Would they support another referendum?
  • Options
    Dair will be cockahoop. This looks like an SNP minority with the greens effectively holding the c&S I reckon.
    Also annoyed at my Scottish punting :p

Meeks NOM going to come in it seems
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2016

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Indeed not. The worry for Cameron, on an otherwise pretty satisfactory night, is the fact the polls are proving accurate, as I just mentioned. That implies the EU vote really IS very tight.

The phone and online polls can't both be right, though. It's only tight if the online polls are correct.

Is Ipsos' Scotland polling by telephone?

If so, SNP 51 Lab 19 Con 18 LD 6

Result (with two left is) is SNP 47 Lab 23 Con 21 LD 7

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

What if SNP + Greens = majority? Greens are pro-referendum too aren't they?
  • Options

By my [hasty!] calcs, Labour were next in line in all three regions so far. i.e. if there had been one more list seat awarded in each region, they would have got it.

Heart of stone etc.

Although I don't feel too bad enjoying Labour's defeat.. I do feel bad for the individuals involved. Must suck for Dugdale to be the only leader not to be elected in a constituency, for instance.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

*cough*
    You're going to have a substantial lead on the tip board when I update.I gave it a miss too ><
  • Options
    Pong said:

Sadie Khan's big problem is that you have to be in Parliament to be Labour leader. Unless there's a coup immediately, he won't be.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Another pathetic result for the Lib Dems in Cambridge. Poor policies, poor campaigning, poor candidates. All those new members; same tired faces on the ballot paper
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

I think this will be the result. Which means the Scottish government will be even further left
  • Options

Pong said:

Sadie Khan's big problem is that you have to be in Parliament to be Labour leader. Unless there's a coup immediately, he won't be.

There'll be no coup. Labour members like to lose with Jezza and the hard left.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

I think this will be the result. Which means the Scottish government will be even further left
    Excellent news for the Tories.... in my wild imagination :D
  • Options

Pong said:

He could decide he's not resigning from Parliament afterall couldn't he? There's nothing automatic in the process.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Predictions are always being talked up as tight. It is in the interest of both factions to motivate their voters and for the media a two horse race is more interesting. I am not convinced though.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,299
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

Sky News
    Dugdale fails to win constituency seat but may still be elected on regional list

It really ought not to be possible for people to stand for both the regional list and an individual constituency. Make a choice - and live with the democratic result.
    and, er, Ruth Davidson.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

Good point.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

*cough*
    You're going to have a substantial lead on the tip board when I update.I gave it a miss too ><</p>
    It may not come home but it was a value bet.
  • Options

Pong said:

He could decide he's not resigning from Parliament afterall couldn't he? There's nothing automatic in the process.
    Wouldn't be a great way of starting your term as Mayor would it, breaking a promise to stand down as MP. I also find it hard to imagine he could simultaneously be party leader while being Mayor? Unless he resigns from being Mayor, I guess...
  • Options

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

Sky News

and, er, Ruth Davidson.
    Yep.... one of the reasons I prefer good old FPTP ;)

I think you're the first SNP supporter to join us today, what are your thoughts?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

*cough*
    You're going to have a substantial lead on the tip board when I update.I gave it a miss too ><</p>
    It may not come home but it was a value bet.
    I think it will. SN P on 64 I think
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

Sort of. They say that the requirement should be a million signatures on a petition, unless there's an even larger petition against.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Preseli Prembrokeshire - Con hold. 14% majority
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

*cough*
    Good tip that.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,853
    RobD said:

South Scotland, certainly. Possibly Highlands and islands too.

• Options
    The Greens are Indy with strings attached, aren't they? The currency is a big issue for them, I think.
  • Options
    Cardiff Central declaration
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Labour hold in Cardiff Central. 3% majority
  • Options
    The returning officer in Cardiff can't read
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    A couple of observations re the Conservatives.

I've always liked Zac Goldsmith but I'm amazed he stooped so low in his campaign, it seems to me that his heart wasn't really in it looking at the silly staged photo of him with a pint. He's finished which is a shame.

Congratulations to Ruth Davidson, an extraordinary achievement. Standing in a safe seat is child's play, swimming upstream as she has done is challenging and she has proved her worth, the type of politician I would support.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

Absolutely. From what I've googled, he seems to have been intentionally ambiguous about his plans re; tooting.

It's also worth noting that his majority is small and a b/e could be a bit risky for lab.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    NOM( If it happens) in Scotland is huge..
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I've always liked Zac Goldsmith but I'm amazed he stooped so low in his campaign, it seems to me that his heart wasn't really in it looking at the silly staged photo of him with a pint. He's finished which is a shame.

Congratulations to Ruth Davidson, an extraordinary achievement. Standing in a safe seat is child's play, swimming upstream as she has done is challenging and she has proved her worth, the type of politician I would support.

Davidson is a potential Tory leader in London, if she ever wants the gig. Naturally gifted politician.
    I really hope she isn't poached. Scotland (or Wales for that matter), shouldn't be some sort of gestation pod where politicians are developed, only to be removed once they actually achieve something.
  • Options
    Sky News projecting SNP Majority of 7.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    SeanT said:

Davidson is a potential Tory leader in London, if she ever wants the gig. Naturally gifted politician.
    Pedantic but I don't believe politicians are gifted, the good ones get there through sheer hard graft, that's what she's done.

She's a welcome change from the sharp suited college autocue readers we're stuck with.

Next Tory leader?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    So Corbyn saying Labour wouldn't lose any seats wasn't far off, was he?

Easily a good enough result for him to remain as leader.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

The Greens support independence.

Very impressive result for the Scottish Tories. Much better than I thought.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

Just listening to Patrick Harvey on STV making his less than disguised pitch to SNP, surely Ruth Davidson couldn't get that lucky.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

I really hope she isn't poached. Scotland (or Wales for that matter), shouldn't be some sort of gestation pod where politicians are developed, only to be removed once they actually achieve something.
    I think she's said she'd never take the job in London. But given the opportunity to play on a much bigger stage...
    Be dangerous territory for any UK-wide party to have a Scot as leader while the SNP are so strong as a Yes vote in a second referendum would defenestrate that leader.
  • Options

Sky News projecting SNP Majority of 7.

No chance lol
  • Options

There are literally dozens of them :D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

I think she's said she'd never take the job in London. But given the opportunity to play on a much bigger stage...
    Seant, Ruth has again made it clear that she won't leave Scottish politics.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

AndyJS said:

Breaking News:

The Greens support independence.

Agreed - I feel for Malc G and the other Scottish dampers :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    RobD said:

Yep.... one of the reasons I prefer good old FPTP ;)

I think you're the first SNP supporter to join us today, what are your thoughts?

Some of us were at the electoral coalface, the glamour of which wears off pretty quickly.

Disappointing that the SNP looks like not getting a majority, though in a George Best 'where did it all go wrong' kinda way. Good that Andy Wightman got a list place, he'd be an asset to any parliament.

Longer term it looks like Unionism is coalescing around centre right Toryism, and Indy round centre left 'progressiveness' which clarifies things. That leaves an ever more restricted space for SLab to live in. I expect they'll do yet another reverse ferret on the policies that helped them lose their latest test and end up further confusing themselves and voters.

Fingers crossed for Coburn.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Ruth doing well is good news for Stephen Crabb, both through a process of osmosis and also because she'd very probably campaign for him.
This discussion has been closed.