Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Wow ..... 826 827 posts on this thread!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954

Wow ..... 826 827 posts on this thread!

Politics is quite interesting at the moment...
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822

SeanT said:

756 comments on this thread, and it is 2.20pm

What a magnificent day for politics nerds. I can't recall a morning this entertaining

What it does show is how much better the Tories are at this sort of thing. One imagines CCHQ has by now crawled the social media output of every Labour figure and has extensive files of potential scandals. Imagine if a Tory had said something ... Labour would ignore the issue, attack him for being a toff and then let it slide.
    You must have missed Labour's attacks on Zac Goldsmith.

TOPPING said:

A kipper speaks self-knowingly.

Douglas Carswell MP ‏@DouglasCarswell 5m5 minutes ago
    Rather than pointing the finger at Labour, all parties sld ask if it is ever right to seek votes by blaming some sense of "other".

I think Carswell is right. As Nick Clegg pointed out on DP there are demons in everyone's closet. And the Cons must be careful because if they think anti-semitism and racism and homophobia is unknown in the not so distant reaches of their Shire constituencies then they are very foolish indeed. Some researcher somewhere must be doing some digging.
    It is the reaction though isn't it. If somebody finds a Tory MP with a dodgy facebook post or tw@tter, I am pretty damn sure they will be suspended in minutes, not hours or days. And even the nuttiest of nutty Tories, I doubt are going to go onto DP and start saying well that Adolf bloke wasn't so bad.

If I had to guess, they will find some Tory with some dodgy crap about Muslims rather than Jews.
    What about that Tory who described President Obama as half-Kenyan. Was he suspended or is he still an MP and Mayor of London?
    Seriously? He's half-Kenyan. And Boris was referencing articles from 2009 - that INCLUDED THE GUARDIAN.

I felt it necessary to CAPS lock that bit so you stopped digging. What do you think of Ken today?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited April 2016

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

The acting Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police is facing a corruption allegations from her time at Greater Manchester Police

It's all coming out of that Northern sandpit. Must be a zionist conspiracy.
    There does seem to be something very wrong with the South Yorkshire Police Force. Perhaps it should just be disbanded, and recruited from scratch.
    Abolish it and let West Yorkshire Police take over.
    Won't work, Mr. Eagles - got to sack the staff otherwise West Yorkshire will just inherit the organisational cultural problems. At the very least everyone at Superintendent rank and above (with civvie equivalents) must be barred from continuing service and junior ranks should only be allowed to continue on a strict two year probation (otherwise they will only become orgainsational terrorists).
    Deba'athification of an entire UK police force. Are we really at that point in proceedings?
    No, but South Yorks police has had a lot of organisational cultural problems going back over decades. Changing chief officers hasn't solved it. So if one does want to address the issue then, maybe, more radical surgery is what is required.

Cancer surgery succeeds only if it cuts out all of the cancer. It might scoop out some good cells with the bad but the body can normally cope with that.
    'it might' - er no. It must. You need those margins for surgery to be successful.

With culture change, the top must go and someone who understands culture, and change management, with the passion, energy and stamina to see it through, must be installed. Anyone*, anywhere within the organization who is not prepared to sign up to the new culture must either be removed or quarantined.

* for senior management, and even key middle management, if they refuse to champion the new culture, this effectively means they must go.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,086
    Scott_P said:

@wallaceme: Naz Shah’s local Momentum branch suggest her apology was forced out of her like a Stalinist show trial https://t.co/hxE2t9VAfK

What's the saying - When in a hole, hire a JCB??

The left is eating itself today.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

The acting Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police is facing a corruption allegations from her time at Greater Manchester Police

There does seem to be something very wrong with the South Yorkshire Police Force. Perhaps it should just be disbanded, and recruited from scratch.
    Won't work, Mr. Eagles - got to sack the staff otherwise West Yorkshire will just inherit the organisational cultural problems. At the very least everyone at Superintendent rank and above (with civvie equivalents) must be barred from continuing service and junior ranks should only be allowed to continue on a strict two year probation (otherwise they will only become orgainsational terrorists).
    Deba'athification of an entire UK police force. Are we really at that point in proceedings?
    When you're left arguing if Hillsborough or Rotherham was the worse feck up, you've serious issues as an organisation
    Two of the letters in the Guardian today were very revealing. The first from a Sheffield resident who had kept a copy of the Sheffield Star from the day after Hillsborough that basically concurred with the verdict this week. The second was from a Forest fan who left the ground with his son early whilst the disarray was still unfolding and saw all the fleets of Ambulances outside. He gave a statement over the phone to the police but it was clear they weren't typing down the information he was giving. What I can't understand is why so much of the media didn't pick up on it.
    Perceptions on football fans.

In the 80s they were viewed as racist, violent, pissed up thugs.

I remember reading a piece from the owner of Derby County saying why he and other chairman didn't modernise/repair stadiums.

Every time they did the fans would riot and ruin, so why waste the money.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

SeanT said:

756 comments on this thread, and it is 2.20pm

What a magnificent day for politics nerds. I can't recall a morning this entertaining

What it does show is how much better the Tories are at this sort of thing. One imagines CCHQ has by now crawled the social media output of every Labour figure and has extensive files of potential scandals. Imagine if a Tory had said something ... Labour would ignore the issue, attack him for being a toff and then let it slide.
    You must have missed Labour's attacks on Zac Goldsmith.

TOPPING said:

A kipper speaks self-knowingly.

Douglas Carswell MP ‏@DouglasCarswell 5m5 minutes ago
    Rather than pointing the finger at Labour, all parties sld ask if it is ever right to seek votes by blaming some sense of "other".

I think Carswell is right. As Nick Clegg pointed out on DP there are demons in everyone's closet. And the Cons must be careful because if they think anti-semitism and racism and homophobia is unknown in the not so distant reaches of their Shire constituencies then they are very foolish indeed. Some researcher somewhere must be doing some digging.
    It is the reaction though isn't it. If somebody finds a Tory MP with a dodgy facebook post or tw@tter, I am pretty damn sure they will be suspended in minutes, not hours or days. And even the nuttiest of nutty Tories, I doubt are going to go onto DP and start saying well that Adolf bloke wasn't so bad.

If I had to guess, they will find some Tory with some dodgy crap about Muslims rather than Jews.
    What about that Tory who described President Obama as half-Kenyan. Was he suspended or is he still an MP and Mayor of London?
    Seriously? He's half-Kenyan. And Boris was referencing articles from 2009 - that INCLUDED THE GUARDIAN.

I felt it necessary to CAPS lock that bit so you stopped digging. What do you think of Ken today?
    I am not at all convinced that is what Boris had in mind (and if a Labour figure said don't vote for X, he's Jewish, people would rightly be up in arms even if it were factually true -- indeed especially if true) but if you want to give him a free pass on that, what about the Darius Guppy tape discussing beating up journalists? Or suppose there were a photo of a Labour front-bencher at a table covered in cocaine? That is what I mean by the Tories being better at exploiting these stories.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:
    Remain have a big problem here - they're relying on all those Ed Miliband 'voters'
    Worse. They are relying on Ed Miliband "voters" to get Cameron and Osborne out of a hole of that pair's own making.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Such a cunning plan to have Cameron and Osborne head up the campaign for the past 9 weeks and get all those anti-Conservative leftie voters....
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

When you're left arguing if Hillsborough or Rotherham was the worse feck up, you've serious issues as an organisation
    Two of the letters in the Guardian today were very revealing. The first from a Sheffield resident who had kept a copy of the Sheffield Star from the day after Hillsborough that basically concurred with the verdict this week. The second was from a Forest fan who left the ground with his son early whilst the disarray was still unfolding and saw all the fleets of Ambulances outside. He gave a statement over the phone to the police but it was clear they weren't typing down the information he was giving. What I can't understand is why so much of the media didn't pick up on it.

I remember reading a piece from the owner of Derby County saying why he and other chairman didn't modernise/repair stadiums.

But Derby County have a modern, state of the art, prize-winning stadium?
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

I should have said the owner in the 70s/80s
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

They didn't move there until the end of the 90's. They were at the shitty baseball ground for a long long time.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

Do you mean a certain newspaper owner? :D
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

Well I like to think of him as a former Labour MP
  • Options
    Iain
    Brillant media management - Jeremy Corbyn appears in front of the cameras, doesn't speak then walks off
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    My day has been completely disrupted by this Labour Party debacle...luvvin it..
  • Options

Iain
    Brillant media management - Jeremy Corbyn appears in front of the cameras, doesn't speak then walks off

Sounds nearly as good as when he had the open goal to blast Cameron on tax, his grumpy reaction to being doorstepped.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2016

Iain

What? - not even 'Ken has requested gardening leave to spend more time with his newts'?
  • Options
    A month of Corbyn tired and stressed on the campaign trail of a GE...they are going to need to have that Elvis impersonator on permanent retainer.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

Well I like to think of him as a former Labour MP
    For Buckingham of all places!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

300 lbs of lard washed up in the Canaries in the early 90s.

Or so I heard.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:
    Remain have a big problem here - they're relying on all those Ed Miliband 'voters'
    Worse. They are relying on Ed Miliband "voters" to get Cameron and Osborne out of a hole of that pair's own making.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Such a cunning plan to have Cameron and Osborne head up the campaign for the past 9 weeks and get all those anti-Conservative leftie voters....
    What do you consider Leave's true odds to be?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

Or so I heard.
    The fake death of Ján Ludvík Hyman Binyamin Hoch was just another Zionist conspiracy...probably...according the Red Ken...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Using the rule of thumb of site moderators I think that Mann should be suspended too, whatever the merits of his case this is not the ukrainian parliament.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Pulpstar said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

Or so I heard.
    Eric Pickles skinny dipping on holiday ??
  • Options
    A little while ago, I called Ken Livingstone a hate-filled cockroach and suggested that Jeremy Corbyn should drop him in a deep, dark hole far from the Labour Party and the rest of decent humanity.

I would like to apologise for those remarks. To each and every member of the cockroach community, I am sincerely sorry. I now appreciate that being likened to Mr Livingstone must have been distressing and embarrassing for you, your family and your friends. Sorry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/ken-livingstone-is-a-stain-on-the-conscience-of-the-labour-party/
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,829
    AndyJS said:
    So how comfortable do the Remain Conservatives feel being alongside that lot?

Come on. Do something amazing. Be a hero: support a great, free, global future for you, your family and your country..

Vote Leave.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Trump picking up more unbound Pennsylvania delegates. AP putting the figure at 33 declared out of 54.

Via Fox News.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

I thought politics could not get more fun that the collective progressive dirt eating of May 2015. I was wrong.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876

The internet responds:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/04/as-ken-livingstone-went-from-one-media-disaster-to-another-twitter-couldnt-help-itself/
  • Options
    edited April 2016

AndyJS said:
    So how comfortable do the Remain Conservatives feel being alongside that lot?.
    Absolutely fine.

This is about the Country, not a political party.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    TNS for Scotland:

Constituency: SNP 52% (-4), Lab 22% (+3), Con 17% (+2) LD 7% (+1)
    Region: SNP 45% (-2), Lab 22% (+1), Con 18% (+3), LD 5% (-1) Grn 8% (0)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TheScreamingEagles

'Perceptions on football fans.

Every time they did the fans would riot and ruin, so why waste the money.'

Heysel Stadium disaster 1985.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

AndyJS said:

Come on. Do something amazing. Be a hero: support a great, free, global future for you, your family and your country..

Vote Leave.
    Having zero kippers to keep company only confirms the profound incontestable correctness of my choice. Thank you for the alert.
  • Options
    Chris Bryant MP
    It's right Ken livingstone is suspended. As I said this am he's been explaining away anti-Semitism for far too long. I hope he's expelled.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Your point is?
  • Options
    The downfall video is quite brilliant...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Self destruct program initiated
    Self destruct now active.....
    This politician will Self destruct in 5....4...3....2....

Ken Livingstone: "If you're anti-Semitic you hate all Jews, not just the ones in Israel."
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Via OGH:

https://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/725689266488152064

I walk past this particular synagogue every time I go to the gym.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Dixie said:

Pulpstar said:

@Dixie How would you assess the chances of the runners and riders for the 3rd place market ?

Without any quantification, I think silent Kippers are helping them crawl ahead of Greens/Libs. The latter are getting no Press, whilst white working class and some Tories are at least talking about voting UKIP. Hard to say, but I would say UKIP have a good chance of coming 3rd. The referundum is as important on the doorsteps as other policies, so people are thinking of UKIP-ing at Mayoral candidate because they are inter-twining Mayoral and EU ref together.

In 2012, Green candidate 4.48% for Mayoral vote, Libs got 4.16% and UKIP only 1.96%. All very low so a little uplift of UKIP votes will give them 3rd place. I think the UKIP candidate is surprisingly pleasant. We've done Hustings together and people don't dislike Peter Whittle.
    May I just add that Libs and Greens have better candidates this time but....they still seem to be struggling with votes. I've been wrong before.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    So how comfortable do the Remain Conservatives feel being alongside that lot?.
    Absolutely fine.

This is about the Country, not a political party.
    Precisely.

Which is why you should vote Leave to restore our self-governance.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.
    Having zero kippers to keep company only confirms the profound incontestable correctness of my choice. Thank you for the alert.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Sweet baby Jesus.

The narrative of supporters forcing the gate, being drunk, pickpocketing etc was an organised dis-information campaign and coverup by the police to deflect blame - as you say the immediate inital reporting was about police failure, the police fought back with their cover ups and lies. The SYP police culture was totally and irredemably rotten
  • Options

It took less than 4 (3?) hours from my prediction. Fabulous.

That being said, I think pb'ers could have done a much better spoof than that.
  • Options
    The US economy has slowed to its weakest pace in two years, as plunging oil prices and global anxiety brought growth to a near standstill.

The economy grew by just 0.1pc in the first quarter of the year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, well below the 0.4pc gain of the previous quarter, and the 0.2pc rise anticipated by analysts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/04/28/us-economy-grinds-to-near-halt/
  • Options

Go on knock yourself out...there are "downfall video markers" out there.
  • Options

Go on knock yourself out...there are "downfall video markers" out there.
    I work.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

The US economy has slowed to its weakest pace in two years, as plunging oil prices and global anxiety brought growth to a near standstill.

The economy grew by just 0.1pc in the first quarter of the year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, well below the 0.4pc gain of the previous quarter, and the 0.2pc rise anticipated by analysts.

I blame Brexit :)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.
    I guess we shouldn't be surprised that all you Cameroons are so comfortable in the company of so many Lib Dems and Labour voters, I mean you practically have the same policies :p
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    Scott_P said:

@pppolitics: In Scotland - Conservatives are 7/4 in from 5/2 to beat Labour to second place in terms of seats #SP16 election https://t.co/z6N60XRdZl

After Kezia's car crash interview with Ponsonby last night it is little wonder, he was even laughing out loud at some of her answers. You could not believe Labour could have elected a worse leader than previous ones but it looks like they have managed it.
  • Options
    This is prime candidate for a Labour / Ken spoof...

https://www.madebyoomph.co.uk/blog/infographics/brand-name-mispronunciations
  • Options

Iain

This is just becoming surreal. WTF is happening in the Labour Party?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Indigo said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.
    I guess we shouldn't be surprised that all you Cameroons are so comfortable in the company of so many Lib Dems and Labour voters, I mean you practically have the same policies :p
    And the same disdain for ordinary joe brit WWC people.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Well, what a to-do. I had a bad asthma attack yesterday and spent the day in a NY hospital yesterday being investigated for a possible lung clot. Scary stuff. But all OK now.

And I wake up to a universe where Labour politicians are defending Hitler.......!

Some of us did say that there might be problems with electing a Hamas-loving, anti-Semite-loving leader who thought ISIS had good points.

So we can call this "The We Told You, You Fucking Fools" thread.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TheScreamingEagles

Your point is?

In many cases perception was reality

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, what a to-do. I had a bad asthma attack yesterday and spent the day in a NY hospital yesterday being investigated for a possible lung clot. Scary stuff. But all OK now.

And I wake up to a universe where Labour politicians are defending Hitler.......!

Some of us did say that there might be problems with electing a Hamas-loving, anti-Semite-loving leader who thought ISIS had good points.

Get better Miss CycleFree
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Good afternoon sir
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited April 2016
    Indigo said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.
    We're just following the lead of the blessed Margaret Thatcher.

She campaigned for Remain.

You're on the same side as George Galloway.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/725663322885001216
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, hope you're entirely well, and were well-looked after by a handsome young doctor.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Want help from the UK for the US economy? Sorry guys - back of the queue.....
  • Options
    Well done, John Mann, it's time all Labour's Hitler admirers were confronted. I think Labour needs to split into two ...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    runnymede said:

Wasn't Osborne blaming part of the British slow down on brexit - fool.
  • Options
    David Cameron just popped up with a post in my Facebook saying this:

"I'm delighted to join forces with Brendan Barber, former head of the TUC, to say Britain is stronger in Europe.

Of course our opponents are struggling for expert backing."

He then posts the two BSE propaganda economists for remain/leave posters Alastair did earlier.

Wow.

It's safe to say he hasn't got a good reaction. This has got 560 likes already:

"I am a long time supporter of the Conservatives, but frankly David Cameron you are an embarassment to conservatism. It is simply astounding that any conservative PM is backing staying in EU. I wont be renewing my membership after this latest post."
  • Options
    I presume the US economy slowdown plays into Trump's narrative.
  • Options
    Irony alert:

@DouglasCarswell: Rather than pointing the finger at Labour, all parties sld ask if it is ever right to seek votes by blaming some sense of "other".
  • Options
    The Labour anti-semitism row moves on: Shah 44 mentions and Livingstone 141 on this thread.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Cyclefree said:

But that's about the Stalinists not the Zionist Conspiracy Pedlars.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited April 2016

Irony alert:

@DouglasCarswell: Rather than pointing the finger at Labour, all parties sld ask if it is ever right to seek votes by blaming some sense of "other".

With mass migration, it is all about the bi-directional numbers not any hereditary specifics about the people. Their nationality, race, sex, sexuality is all irrelevant in the idealist UKIP immigration system. It is a queue to enter a room, the only criteria is whether or not you are in the room already.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,086
    Cyclefree said:

Get well soon, and :+1: for your thread title!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Via OGH:

I thought we've already had a Jewish PM in the shape of Benjamin Disraeli.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited April 2016

"I'm delighted to join forces with Brendan Barber, former head of the TUC, to say Britain is stronger in Europe.

He then posts the two BSE propaganda economists for remain/leave posters Alastair did earlier.

Wow.

"I am a long time supporter of the Conservatives, but frankly David Cameron you are an embarassment to conservatism. It is simply astounding that any conservative PM is backing staying in EU. I wont be renewing my membership after this latest post."

I saw on twitter the other day a screen grab of a similar post getting 2,000 plus likes.

Except that was three years ago, and the topic was about same sex marriage.

What did we learn about social media at the last election?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,317

Indigo said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.

She also knew how to dispatch the likes of Ken Livingstone.
  • Options

Video of the confrontation with John Mann

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/725640479367385088

No doubting Mann's track record on this issue, or questioning how offensive Livingstone's views are - but Mann comes over as rather deranged in that.

Shame as it undermines the real criticism that needs leveling at Livingstone and Corbyn
    UNdermines it. No, no. no - it shows he CARES.
  • Options

Indigo said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.

So did the likes of Tebbit, Lawson, Owen and Lamont in the 1970s. And I can guarantee Thatcher would not: I had the fortune to meet her twice and she was a Leaver years before she passed.

PS. You're on the same side as Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

I'm searching for a political party that will:

1. Balance the budget but do so in a way that has a reasonable balance between tax rises and spending cuts (I think we're taxed enough apart from the 0.1%) and allocates spending cuts in a fair way too (sorry rich pensioners you need to be in this together with everyone else).
    2. Defend our country and our culture. (Yes I am thinking of the EU and of Islam, defence spending, overseas aid and all the rest).
    3. Defend free speech. We have proscribed speech right now. Some look for 'safe spaces'. Free speech means free speech - especially the right to offend someone else.
    4. Is socially liberal - I'm fine with gays, soft drugs, etc. But doesn't seek to shove PC crap down my neck.
    5. Enforce the law. (Rotherham, etc)
    6. Put citizens first and the establishment second. Children over teachers, passengers over tube drivers, patients over doctors, customers over unions, etc.

I have no party to vote for these days. It's depressing.

I'd vote for that party.
    Me too!
    And me.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

runnymede said:

Wasn't Osborne blaming part of the British slow down on brexit - fool.
    Yes the UK's Q1 performance of 0.4% quarterly growth is starting to look like a pretty robust performance, especially with our single largest trading partner country stagnating.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Get well soon :-)
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, are you being silly or serious when you compare those who want to leave the EU with those who think same sex marriage is wrong?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Sky news reporting
    "Ken Livingstone has been suspended by Labour for "bringing the party into disrepute" after saying Hitler supported Zionism"

Ooo.....

Apparently there was a complaint from a Mr. A. Schicklegruber..........
  • Options

Indigo said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.

So did the likes of Tebbit, Lawson, Owen and Lamont in the 1970s. And I can guarantee Thatcher would not: I had the fortune to meet her twice and she was a Leaver years before she passed.

The people who knew her well said she would be on the side of Remain.

Her Majesty has met Martin McGuinness, if it is good enough for her, then it's good for me.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Patrick,

I'm also looking for a party to vote for. Let me know when you start it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

Via OGH:

Disraeli does not really count as the family had converted to Christianity while he was a boy. Ed Miliband and Michael Howard are two very recent Jewish leaders of the Opposition who came close to Number Ten.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

Miss Cyclefree, hope you're entirely well, and were well-looked after by a handsome young doctor.

I am better now, thank you. No handsome young doctor, alas, though the care was impressively thorough. But frankly even if there had been the most gorgeous doctor on the planet I was not at my most alluring, to put it mildly.

Am just glad that all OK though have been told to see my doctor when I get home as my top right hand lung has almost totally collapsed. A bit of a bummer, that.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

What are you learning about party membership ? EU Ref will probably take it below 100,000, and the reason Cam is having to sell out to the unions is because so few activists want to go into bat for Remain. Enjoy.
  • Options

Wow.

I saw on twitter the other day a screen grab of a similar post getting 2,000 plus likes.

Except that was three years ago, and the topic was about same sex marriage.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

If you can't see why posts and responses like these aren't a problem for our Party, I really can't help you.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, are you being silly or serious when you compare those who want to leave the EU with those who think same sex marriage is wrong?

I'm being serious, using facebook likes is no accurate barometer of public opinion.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Cyclefree said:

I am better now, thank you. No handsome young doctor, alas, though the care was impressively thorough. But frankly even if there had been the most gorgeous doctor on the planet I was not at my most alluring, to put it mildly.

Am just glad that all OK though have been told to see my doctor when I get home as my top right hand lung has almost totally collapsed. A bit of a bummer, that.
    Are you OK to fly ?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    dr_spyn said:
    But it's ok over Twitter?
  • Options
    'Labour has a problem with anti-Semitism' - Cameron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36050790
  • Options

Indigo said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.

Her Majesty has met Martin McGuinness, if it is good enough for her, then it's good for me.
    No offence, but I know people who actually "knew her well" far better than those who claimed to do so, which is why I met her twice.

Vanilla me if you don't believe me.
  • Options

Via OGH:

This is a very tangential/barely relevant question from Bale. Naz Shah reckoned Jews have 98% too much influence in Israel. A Labour councillor from Bedford recently referred to my friend Adolf Hitler.and there's lot of other stuff cited on Guido ...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I agree that Facebook likes and Twitter RTs are of, at best, limited value.

That said, comparing Leavers with those opposing same sex marriage doesn't exactly erode the perception that some Remainers have a superiority complex.

Miss Cyclefree, blimey. I shall sacrifice a goat to Asclepius on your behalf. Hope you are fully mended soon.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

AndyJS said:

Via OGH:

Disraeli does not really count as the family had converted to Christianity while he was a boy. Ed Miliband and Michael Howard are two very recent Jewish leaders of the Opposition who came close to Number Ten.
    Disraeli certainly counts. He was ethnically Jewish and was referred to by his contemporaries as such. See Bismarck at the Berlin Congress, for example.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

What are you learning about party membership ? EU Ref will probably take it below 100,000.
    I've learned Margaret Thatcher saw a larger fall in membership numbers whilst she was leader (in absolute and in percentage terms)

Parties used to be mass membership organisations, now they aren't.

It's a trend we see, party membership declines a decent leader comes in, boosts membership and it declines whilst in government.
  • Options
    Rabbi and Labour member 'disgusted' by Livingstone comments

Rabbi Danny Rich, chief executive for Liberal Judaism and a Labour Party member, says he is "disgusted" by Ken Livingstone's comments: "His comments get more offensive and unworthy every time he is interviewed."

Rabbi Rich adds: "Suspending him from the Labour Party is not the end of the matter. Livingstone is a symptom, not the cause.
  • Options

Indigo said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Vote Leave.

No offence, but I know people who actually "knew her well" far better than those who claimed to do so, which is why I met her twice.

Vanilla me if you don't believe me.
    Are you saying Sir Charles Powell didn't know her very well?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Oh dear... Sorry to hear that and of course even less easy when in a strange place.

You have a though a wonderful upbeat attitude to your predicament. Hope all goes well for you and I am sure it will. Besides which you need to be fit as have PB not tagged you for the next Prime Ministeresss?
    :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Indigo said:

What are you learning about party membership ? EU Ref will probably take it below 100,000.
    I've learned Margaret Thatcher saw a larger fall in membership numbers whilst she was leader (in absolute and in percentage terms)

Parties used to be mass membership organisations, now they aren't.

It's a trend we see, party membership declines a decent leader comes in, boosts membership and it declines whilst in government.
    So Labour is at it's highest membership level in years because they have a good leader !? I would hate to see what they consider a bad leader ?

Conservative membership has been falling like a rock since 2006, which suggests that Dave isnt a good leader

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05125.pdf (p.8)
This discussion has been closed.