Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB Oldham Prediction and this week’s local by-elections

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB Oldham Prediction and this week’s local by-elections

Ash South and Tongham on Guildford (Con defence)
Result of council at last election (2015): Conservatives 35, Liberal Democrats 9, Guildford Greenbelt 3, Labour 1 (Conservative majority of 22)
Result of ward at last election (2015):

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    45 minutes to save Oldham West!
  • Options

Looks like a comfortable Labour hold.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Topped up my Labour bet.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I told that was going to happen weeks ago.
  • Options
    So I dreamt this could be like the Dunfermline and West Fife by election.

Except the more I think about it, the analogy doesn't work.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Lets hope its 16%+ win for Labour

I will look shrewd and it means UKIP wont become an ee-by-gum whippets and hotpot party

Essex and Kent is our heartland!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936

Is that an indication to pile on them at 1-7 or ?
  • Options

This is from sources on the ground.

This is a seat UKIP shouldn't be even close to winning, but Corbyn has done his best to try and lose this by election.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

I will look shrewd and it means UKIP wont become an ee-by-gum whippets and hotpot party

10-15% labour win should do very nicely!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is that an indication to pile on them at 1-7 or ?
    I think Farage's observations this evening are a better indication
  • Options

isam said:

10-15% labour win should do very nicely!
    Ha!

That was what I was trying to avoid laying at first, but wwhen UKIP shortened so much, I had to push it out

That said, Ill take it!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,885
    You'll forgive me if I continue to believe that UKIP will win OW&R

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    isam said:

You won't look that shrewd if it's 25%+

:)
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

This is a seat UKIP shouldn't be even close to winning, but Corbyn has done his best to try and lose this by election.
    So Mr Corbyn has done his best to lose this by-election, yet Labour are still thought to be holding it comfortably.

That's good news for the Corbynites then, surely? It undermines the claims that he's an election-loser.
  • Options

Sources on the ground be damned! Are they saying, "That Llama bloke from down South had this called correctly right from the word go"? Johnny come latelys who wait until forty minutes before the close and then come up with a prediction. Call that punditry? They are the sort of chaps who at first light predict that the sun will rise in the East. They are the sort of fellows we used to describe at school as utter ..... *exits left muttering into his glass*
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,949
    isam said:

To be fair though, Sam, it's not exactly a heartland when you have a single seat.

The north is where there are votes going begging.

And mining there means you also get Tory governments. Which is in everyone's interest.
  • Options
    FPT
    isam said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

I put some money on Labour @1.22 for the by-election about 3 hours ago. They are now in to 1.14 - has there been news as to why?

Farage has been getting his excuses in early.
    Tory source on the ground, not even close..... Labour comfortable hold.
    Corbynism sweeping the nation...
    UKIP are probably more loathed than Labour in Oldham.

Still, it doesn't stop Farage getting his excuses in early, and blaming the 'foreigners' and their 'dodgy voting'.
    Great stuff! He hasn't 'said' any of 'those things'

We can assume you don't think that the muslim vote has won it for Labour as the Times reports? It's the reason anyone half shrewd didn't think UKIP could win

Or not a factor?
    No I don't think Labour will win a majority exclusively from the so called Muslim vote.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

A loss of this seat for Labour and Benn's speech yesterday would be the death knell for Corbyn's leadership.

Except they will probably keep the seat, even on a reduced margin, and blame everyone else but themselves.

Failed Corbyn => More Corbyn.
  • Options
    FPT
    @foxinsoxuk Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    30 minutes to go.
    To pass time here is a 30 minute version of the Matrix:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPOXR4dXxDQ
  • Options
    Pong said:

isam said:

You won't look that shrewd if it's 25%+

:)
    Thats one of the best results!
  • Options

FPT

isam said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

I put some money on Labour @1.22 for the by-election about 3 hours ago. They are now in to 1.14 - has there been news as to why?

Still, it doesn't stop Farage getting his excuses in early, and blaming the 'foreigners' and their 'dodgy voting'.

We can assume you don't think that the muslim vote has won it for Labour as the Times reports? It's the reason anyone half shrewd didn't think UKIP could win

Or not a factor?
    No I don't think Labour will win a majority exclusively from the so called Muslim vote.
    Who asked you?!!??!?
  • Options

Sources on the ground be damned! Are they saying, "That Llama bloke from down South had this called correctly right from the word go"? Johnny come latelys who wait until forty minutes before the close and then come up with a prediction. Call that punditry? They are the sort of chaps who at first light predict that the sun will rise in the East. They are the sort of fellows we used to describe at school as utter ..... *exits left muttering into his glass*
    They are, they said always trust the opinions of that English Gentleman Hurst Llama, and that the RAF are the finest thing this country has ever produced.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

To be fair though, Sam, it's not exactly a heartland when you have a single seat.

And mining there means you also get Tory governments. Which is in everyone's interest.
    I think it is where UKIP got most votes at the GE though

Clacton, Thurrock, South Thanet, Rochester, Dagenham, Hornchurch, etc etc
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    I want Jane to keep her deposit.
  • Options
    A Jonestown for the 21st Century?

https://www.thevenusproject.com/en/
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

So Mr Corbyn has done his best to lose this by-election, yet Labour are still thought to be holding it comfortably.

That's good news for the Corbynites then, surely? It undermines the claims that he's an election-loser.
    The Tooting by election is what will seal Mr Corbyn's fate
  • Options
    MrsB said:

I'm sure she's a lovely girl, but business is business :)
  • Options
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

isam said:

I think it is where UKIP got most votes at the GE though

Clacton, Thurrock, South Thanet, Rochester, Dagenham, Hornchurch, etc etc
    Perhaps - but strong votes in those seats are bettered (apart from Clacton, and that might change next time) by stronger anti- votes.

There are large swathes of the semi-urban north where there will be less opposition and a good amount of the can't be arsed party vote to tap into...
  • Options
    MrsB said:

The LibDems lost 11 deposits from 19 GB by-elections during the last Parliament.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

I didn't think there would be one - didn't Khan say he'd stay as MP?

• Options

They are, they said always trust the opinions of that English Gentleman Hurst Llama, and that the RAF are the finest thing this country has ever produced.
    Don't you start me on Crab Air either, Young Eagles, bunch of posing Kevins who have been wrong about every strategic decision bar one in the past 97 years - didn't even know where Australia was.

Anyway I am not going to let you wind me up. I am off until nearer result time.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Have these hats suddenly become hugely popular or is it a Kipper thing?

picture of three men wearing flat caps

They're available in the shops. I have one myself.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    It's rare to have a by-election after a 45-year incumbency. You would have to go back to Caernarvon in 1945 or Liverpool Scotland in 1929 for anything similar. In nether case was that seat (fully) contested though.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Any possible doubt that Labour would win disappeared when Southam predicted a UKIP gain this morning.

;-)

Which means that Corbyn is safe until next May's local elections resulting in serious damage to Labour around the country. Followed by Labour's civil war.

Constituency betting brings a lot better return than any bank account.

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

Don't Unseat Jeremy Corbyn Association :lol:
  • Options
    isam said:

FPT

isam said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

Or not a factor?
    Who asked you?!!??!?
    Nobody but I saw a comment I wanted to reply to so did. It is generally how publicly open websites work, is that news to you?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

AnneJGP said:

He changed his mind and said he would step down iff he became Mayor.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

45 minutes to save Corbyn?
    Well, 22 now :D
  • Options

A loss of this seat for Labour and Benn's speech yesterday would be the death knell for Corbyn's leadership.

Except they will probably keep the seat, even on a reduced margin, and blame everyone else but themselves.

Having seen the pictures of kippers gurning in flat caps it looks to me they are on a piss take not an election campaign. Until seeing it I was not much bothered who won, but now I hope UKIP lose.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

AnneJGP said:

Ah, thanks for that Mr. Eagles.

I think you might be right, then.

Loads of mates live in tooting. It's turned from dodgy to yummy-mummy central in the last 5 years. Isn't the council Walthamstow pretty blue, too?

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

It is a by election in a safe seat from Opposition. Not exactly a marginal seat at a General Election.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015

Having seen the pictures of kippers gurning in flat caps it looks to me they are on a piss take not an election campaign. Until seeing it I was not much bothered who won, but now I hope UKIP lose.
    I doubt the parody act went down too well. Taking the piss out of the locals, is never going to be a vote winner.

We can all look forward to a By Election in the West Country, where they'll ponce about dressed in smocks like the Worzels, and wonder why they lose again.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

AnneJGP said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsNJtnUb7c

:lol:
  • Options
    I see the Lib Dem prediction average would just save the LD deposit. Did we ever agree on that saved deposit wager Robert?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

AnneJGP said:

Loads of mates live in tooting. It's turned from dodgy to yummy-mummy central in the last 5 years. Isn't the council Walthamstow pretty blue, too?

Tooting is full of MILFs? I shall be out campaigning in a Tooting by election
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

True, that will be a close one.
    However Khan might decide to keep his seat and be MP and Mayor like Boris.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857

isam said:

FPT

isam said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

Or not a factor?
    Who asked you?!!??!?
    Nobody but I saw a comment I wanted to reply to so did.
    Just crazy enough to work.

On the by-election, I fear PB may have been a bit over optimistic about UKIP's chances of a close result out of desire for it to be interesting. But they apparently love Labour, and had a hard left MP for yonks, even losing a sizable chunk of support thanks to recent events was not going to impact the result enough to make it less than comfortable to Labour, probably.

We'll see if that makes me look silly in the morning.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

AnneJGP said:

Wandsworth not Walthamstow.
  • Options
    An NHS with the time to care !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857

AnneJGP said:

It is a by election in a safe seat from Opposition. Not exactly a marginal seat at a General Election.
    That's the usual stock comments about the government going backwards and being rejected by the voters will be funnier the smaller the Labour win is.

Flat caps are in thesedays.
  • Options

isam said:

FPT

isam said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

Or not a factor?
    Who asked you?!!??!?
    Nobody but I saw a comment I wanted to reply to so did. It is generally how publicly open websites work, is that news to you?
    Yes it is, people don't normally answer questions posed to others as if they were asked themselves

• Options

I truly doubt they all decided to treck up and down the country in crappy weather to take the piss out of the locals.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Any possible doubt that Labour would win disappeared when Southam predicted a UKIP gain this morning.

;-)

Which means that Corbyn is safe until next May's local elections resulting in serious damage to Labour around the country. Followed by Labour's civil war.

Constituency betting brings a lot better return than any bank account.

The only accurate indicators of the 2015 General Election were the political leader's personal ratings (for which RodCrosby&L&N were unjustly crucified) and the Labour Uncut article discussing disappointing postal vote returns 7-10 days before the election. All the others differed only in their degree of wrongness. Given Corbyn's ginormous disapproval index, no local polling, and not even decent gossip, a UKIP win is still possible. I am open to persuasion that postal votes filled by others render OW&R unlosable by Labour, but other than that...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Based on what information?
  • Options
    In a characteristically odd move, SKYBET have SLASHED their odds on the greens, LD's and tories winning OW&R

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/oldham-west-and-royton/winning-party

Maybe they're on to something.

Or maybe not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

FPT

isam said:

watford30 said:

notme said:

Alistair said:

Or not a factor?
    Who asked you?!!??!?
    Nobody but I saw a comment I wanted to reply to so did.
    Just crazy enough to work.

On the by-election, I fear PB may have been a bit over optimistic about UKIP's chances of a close result out of desire for it to be interesting. But they apparently love Labour, and had a hard left MP for yonks, even losing a sizable chunk of support thanks to recent events was not going to impact the result enough to make it less than comfortable to Labour, probably.

We'll see if that makes me look silly in the morning.
    A close run by-election would have been entertaining. Corbyn would remain safe (for now) and the loony left would continue their takeover. Meanwhile moderate MPs would live in fear of deselection or losing safe seats in 2020.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

I doubt the parody act went down too well. Taking the piss out of the locals, is never going to be a vote winner.

We can all look forward to a By Election in the West Country, where they'll ponce about dressed in smocks like the Worzels, and wonder why they lose again.
    Taking the piss is an assumption. It's apparently been raining all day there - maybe they invested in the local headgear because of that.

Down here, I doubt if they'd be able to find a place to buy a Wurzel smock. I've never seen one in a shop.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Labour is now 16/1 on with Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    Ten minutes to save Oldham West & Royton!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pong said:

In a characteristically odd move, SKYBET have SLASHED their odds on the greens, LD's and tories winning OW&R

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/oldham-west-and-royton/winning-party

Or maybe not.

And Labour too.
    But let us not forget, counting hasn't even started.
  • Options
    @TSE

Have you seen Hitler versus Khan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Su12yhLT2o
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    MP_SE said:

I truly doubt they all decided to treck up and down the country in crappy weather to take the piss out of the locals.
    A significant part of the Labour Establishment thought the EdStone was a good idea! Just saying.
  • Options
    You'd have thought low turnout would benefit UKIP, usually.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Or maybe not.

I'll go 10,000s on the LDs and Greens, 100s on the Tories.
  • Options
    Looking at local election results:

http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/leap/results/2015/42/

Labour have won all nine wards in the constituency in each election from 2010 onwards.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Based on what information?
    The reputable Notme on the previous thread, what a senior Lib Dem told George Eaton, and what I've heard myself from my own contacts.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

After how long mining Essex and Kent UKIP have what? One seat from a defector? One seat that was surprisingly close this time. UKIP are probably going to have zero seats in the so called heartland after the 2020 election.

OTOH one of the closest times UKIP have come to actually winning a seat of their own was Heywood and Middleton. That was pre Corbyn too before Labour went into meltdown and did as much as possible to ostracise voters. If UKIP were to be serious about winning seats then looking down your nose at whippets and hotpot is not the answer.
  • Options
    UKIP behind the Blues and Lib Dems in 2nd.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 56s56 seconds ago
    Betting markets seem convinced Labour has won #OldhamWest . Just taken a £1,000 bet at 1/12.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

isam said:

After how long mining Essex and Kent UKIP have what? One seat from a defector? One seat that was surprisingly close this time. UKIP are probably going to have zero seats in the so called heartland after the 2020 election.

OTOH one of the closest times UKIP have come to actually winning a seat of their own was Heywood and Middleton. That was pre Corbyn too before Labour went into meltdown and did as much as possible to ostracise voters. If UKIP were to be serious about winning seats then looking down your nose at whippets and hotpot is not the answer.
    I was mucking about you tiresome bore
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I always remember the Dunfermline by-election where everyone thought Labour was going to win, even as the candidates walked onto the stage for the result.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    In January The Flying Scotsman might be on the move in Black.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/flyingscotsman/see/photos.aspx

• Options
    AnneJGP said:

watford30 said:

Taking the piss is an assumption. It's apparently been raining all day there - maybe they invested in the local headgear because of that.
    I fear you talk too much common sense for the bleaters.

• Options
    As foretold

@DMcCaffreySKY: FROM OLDHAM: Senior UKIP sources tell me party had strong showing today, probably beating Labour but postal ballots may count against them.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I always remember the Dunfermline by-election where everyone thought Labour was going to win, even as the candidates walked onto the stage for the result.

Labour were 1.01 at this stage in Heywood and Middleton I think
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    My Lab MP said last week that his feeling was actually that the Labour vote was holding up reasonably well, but that the reasons for thinking it might be close were (a) Tory voters tactically going UKIP, and (b) the possibility of a low turnout meaning even those people who were saying on the doorstep that they were satisfied enough with Labour not showing on the day.

Time will tell if it was optimistic spin.
  • Options

As foretold

@DMcCaffreySKY: FROM OLDHAM: Senior UKIP sources tell me party had strong showing today, probably beating Labour but postal ballots may count against them.

Inshallah, Friday postal votes for Labour, peace be upon the returning officer :D
  • Options
    Ian Warren

Prediction: Lab: 8,912 (41.9%) / UKIP 7,780 (36.6%) / Con 3,381 (15.9%) / LD 801 (3.8%) / Greens 373 (1.8%). Make that a 14.5% swing. 1/2

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,353
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

Mentioned in OGH's book, complete with comments from PB at the time!
  • Options

Ian Warren

Prediction: Lab: 8,912 (41.9%) / UKIP 7,780 (36.6%) / Con 3,381 (15.9%) / LD 801 (3.8%) / Greens 373 (1.8%). Make that a 14.5% swing. 1/2

I'll take that
  • Options
    @Sunil - Yes, see the Khan v Hitler video.

Either this weekend or next weekend, I'm doing a thread on David Hasselhoff
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Or maybe not.

I'll go 10,000s on the LDs and Greens, 100s on the Tories.
    Yeah, that's about right.

I've backed the tories above 250/1, although the value is pretty marginal.

It's a bit like a buy-one-get-one-free on lottery tickets, or something.

Just for fun.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Labour will win I feel.

I've just watched the Hilary Benn speech on YouTube. From his visits to town here I've always thought him competent and clever. Now I think he has the punch to lead the party. And he's Labour through & through.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 56s56 seconds ago
    Betting markets seem convinced Labour has won #OldhamWest . Just taken a £1,000 bet at 1/12.

If the 2015 General Election taught us anything, it's that betting markets are not a good indicator of political results
  • Options
    Night all. Hope you can pass the time peaceably. Well, enjoyably, anyway.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

AnneJGP said:

Wandsworth not Walthamstow.
    Of course - thanks for correcting Sunil.

Hilarious conversations with mates in Earlsfield recently - they all love what the Tories are doing for council tax but wouldn't dream of voting blue in the general.

Earlsfield is Yummy Mummy central TSE - I think you'd like it!

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ian Warren

I'll take that
    The Tories on 16% :wink:
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ian Warren

I'll take that
    Lib Dems losing their deposit is more important bettingwise for me.
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: EXCL: MoD warned against David Cameron claiming there are 70,000 moderate Syrian troops ready to take on Da’esh; http://www.sunnation.co.uk/cameron-warned-not-to-use-70000-moderates-figure-before-giving-syria-speech
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: Labour confident that it has won in Oldham: but have had a wobble over low postal vote turnout, low turnout generally
  • Options

As foretold

"It was going to happen regardless" to quote an official at the Heywood and Middleton by-election.

The senior UKIP sources better be right otherwise they are not close to managing expectations properly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ian Warren

I'll take that
    Lib Dems losing their deposit is more important bettingwise for me.
    Me too, I think we've won our turnout bets
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    Postal turnout has been poor, too. Things are very interesting now...
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Ian Warren

That would probably mean another UKIP win on the day, following on from Eastleigh and Heywood&Middleton.
  • Options

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: MoD warned against David Cameron claiming there are 70,000 moderate Syrian troops ready to take on Da’esh; http://www.sunnation.co.uk/cameron-warned-not-to-use-70000-moderates-figure-before-giving-syria-speech

Not been Dave's finest hour. Hilary for PM !
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Labour confident that it has won in Oldham: but have had a wobble over low postal vote turnout, low turnout generally

Not really sure how the first assertion can be true if the second and third are...

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2015

Pulpstar said:

Ian Warren

I'll take that
    Tories on 9% ;)
  • Options

Ian Warren

Cf. Heywood and Middleton

Lab 11,633 (40.9%)
    UKIP 11,016 (38.7)
    Con 3,496 (12.3)
    LD 1,457 (5.1)
    Grn 870 (3.1)

Swing 18.5% Lab - UKIP
    Turnout 36.0%
This discussion has been closed.