Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB Oldham Prediction and this week’s local by-elections

Comments

• Options
    It appears Jezza is the debonair snappy-dresser in the family.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    With expected turnout issues I expected them to 45% love him though. I want to win that book in the competition.
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

People of Oldham love Labour, including Corbyn Labour, what a shock.

I told everyone on PB on the day that Meacher died, they voted for Meacher with a large numbers for decades, of course they love Corbyn.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,531
    edited December 2015

Christ on a bike.

Colin Baker's Doctor dresses that family.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pong said:

MP_SE said:
    That would be something like

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Arif Ansari ‏@ArifBBC 10m10 minutes ago
    It's possible Labour might hit 60% of the vote in Oldham West & Royton by-election I'm hearing.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Positively Saville Row in comparison!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    55% is Miliband territory.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,082
    Piers Corbyn, Jeremy's crazy brother, now on This Week denouncing climate change as bogus
  • Options
    Ash South & Tongham (Guildford) result:
    CON: 43.2% (-3.3)
    LDEM: 22.9% (+4.7)
    UKIP: 12.2% (+12.2)
    GGG: 11.6% (-8.6)
    LAB: 10.0% (-5.1)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    edited December 2015
    HYUFD said:

Piers Corbyn, Jeremy's crazy brother, now on This Week denouncing climate change as bogus

:smiley:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Oh, bugger. Ah well, just goes to show, I couldn't pick the right steer in a Texas sack
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    MP_SE said:

Postal voting needs to be looked at. Coupled with the boundary review and Labour could be out of power for a long time.

Gerrymandering rules OK.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Christ on a bike.

Colin Baker's Doctor dresses that family.
    Whoaaa.
    And he's bashing Climate Change on national TV.
    It's like american TV.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Different sides of the bonkers coin....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Portillo agrees with me re Cameron's 'terrorist sympathiser' comment

All is well

I thought it was unbecoming of the Prime Minister.
    Yes... And he didn't need to say it... Normally such a smooth operator
  • Options
    Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Not 9/1 now!!!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Arif Ansari ‏@ArifBBC 10m10 minutes ago
    It's possible Labour might hit 60% of the vote in Oldham West & Royton by-election I'm hearing.
    I'm hearing that too.

Let me just check with my LD source to confirm.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

Not only is Jezza better dressed, he is actually more sensible. Scary stuff!
  • Options
    Corbynism sweeping the nation...well Oldham....well maybe they just vote for any donkey in a red rosette in Oldham...
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 50 secs50 seconds ago
    Meole (Shropshire) result:
    CON: 43.1% (-11.8)
    LAB: 26.7% (-11.0)
    LDEM: 19.6% (+12.3)
    UKIP: 5.6% (+5.6)
    GRN: 4.9% (+4.9)
  • Options
    I used to work in an office next door to Piers Corbyn.

I can confirm that what you see is what you get.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    edited December 2015
    Don't believe the bettors getting ahead of the game and creating a self fulfilling they're going to do it, aren't they loopUKIP hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM
  • Options

HYUFD said:

This is quite surreal!!
  • Options
    isam said:

All is well

A few days ago I said to you it was true and shameless but would be successful both by getting it out there and across the media and by not costing the vote. You said we'd see soon enough if it was successful.

Given the line has been repeated who knows how many times (thanks faux outrage in Parliament) and the vote wasn't just carried anyway but carried with a stoning majority do you now consider it to have been successful?

Even if you find it true and morally repugnant.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Climate's been a-changing ever since the atmosphere first formed billions of years ago.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed, hilarious though that Corbyn's brother has more in common with UKIP than Labour or even the Tories on this issue
  • Options
    Boleyn (Newham) result:
    LAB: 72.1% (+7.9)
    LDEM: 9.1% (+9.1)
    CON: 8.6% (-12.4)
    GRN: 5.9% (+5.9)
    UKIP: 3.9% (+3.9)
    IND: 0.5% (+0.5)
  • Options

Early night for Southam Observer?

Not at all. I put too much faith in UKIP. A lesson learned. They still seem to be a long way off their fabled Northern breakthrough. But a good Labour win tonight puts off the time when Labour might be electable again. This looks like being a fantastic result for the Tories.

• Options

isam said:

All is well

A few days ago I said to you it was true and shameless but would be successful both by getting it out there and across the media and by not costing the vote. You said we'd see soon enough if it was successful.

Given the line has been repeated who knows how many times (thanks faux outrage in Parliament) and the vote wasn't just carried anyway but carried with a stoning majority do you now consider it to have been successful?

I shouldn't think it made much difference to anyone with half a brain
  • Options
    MikeK said:

joncraigSKYVerified account
    @joncraig
    Turnout in Oldham by-election officially declared by returning officer as 40.26%, higher than some predictions & not bad for December poll.

Heywood was 36.0
  • Options
    Well, it's looking like I've called this pretty wrong. Big questions for UKIP if it really is a 7k+ majority, though - I thought they'd hit on the right strategy. I suspect they still have, given the state of the Labour Party, but they've got a fair way further to go than I expected.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Piers vest looks older than me
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The media/political analysts have got it totally wrong the last few weeks, if the result is as the 'Lib Dem sources' say. Like Heywood and Middleton reversed.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Postal voting needs to be looked at. Coupled with the boundary review and Labour could be out of power for a long time.

Gerrymandering rules OK.
    It's not gerrymandering, it's Labour voting fraud. "Gerrymandering" is when you choose the shape of the constituencies to maximise the success of your chosen party. "Labour voting fraud" is when husbands, landlords or community leaders fill out en masse postal ballots intended for other people without their consent/knowledge. See also "pope, catholic" and "bear, woods, shit".
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    We still don't know the outcome but if it is true that Labour have done very well, it shows all the gossip is worthless. As I have said, many times before, find out the canvass returns from more than one party. The parties leak like a sieve at election time. Then estimate turnout to recalibrate share.

Kippers were never ahead on anyone's canvass returns, not even within 5%.

Famous last words? Probably not.
  • Options

Corbynism sweeping the nation...well Oldham....well maybe they just vote for any donkey in a red rosette in Oldham...

Oldham and Newham.

Backwards in Guildford, Shropshire, Lincoln etc.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Postal voters always vote the same way don't they ?

Yep, mainly Tory and UKIP.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, I could see Piers Corbyn standing for UKIP
  • Options

Not at all. I put too much faith in UKIP. A lesson learned. They still seem to be a long way off their fabled Northern breakthrough. But a good Labour win tonight puts off the time when Labour might be electable again. This looks like being a fantastic result for the Tories.

Good news for your least bad option.

Everybodys happy then.

• Options
    Corbyn still there in 2020?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

carried with a stoning majority

Taliban result?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Piers vest looks older than me

He is like Jeremy Coney on acid
  • Options
    *Now regretting agreeing to stay up until 2am*
  • Options

Will Benn be still there in 2016?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Hopefully. A complete loony left takeover is needed.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    viewcode said:

MP_SE said:

Gerrymandering rules OK.
    It's not gerrymandering, it's Labour voting fraud. "Gerrymandering" is when you choose the shape of the constituencies to maximise the success of your chosen party. "Labour voting fraud" is when husbands, landlords or community leaders fill out en masse postal ballots intended for other people without their consent/knowledge. See also "pope, catholic" and "bear, woods, shit".
    Clearly you have never seen the Conservative postal vote operation in practice in nursing homes in towns like Brighton and Worthing
  • Options
    Sir Oink a lot looks like Jezza
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

On the contrary, I would say the result might be the right balance between mediocre-but-not-party-destroying-disastrous, enough to ensure a leadership change before 2020.

The danger of Labour getting really poor results would be that people would lose heart so much that they'd think there was no point changing leader since the party was screwed anyway so what would be the point.
  • Options
    Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Was Labour 54.8% UKIP 20.6% in May so that suggests UKIP up a bit, Labour virtually unchanged
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

All is well

I'll switch your words around. I think it shouldn't make much difference. But not everyone currently knows that Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser as the don't follow politics as deeply as you or I. Getting labels onto your opponents can be brutal but can work. The fact that Labour are clinging more and more to the terrorist sympathiser makes it win win.
  • Options
    Jennifer Williams ‏@JenWilliamsMEN 20 min20 minuti fa
    Burning question. If Labour win tonight, where in Greater Manchester will John Bickley stand next?
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton · 59s59 seconds ago
    Lib Dem source says Labour heading for 10,000+ majority in Oldham.
  • Options

Still available with Skybet at around 9-2 I think.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

HYUFD said:

Piers knows his onions - he's made a packet over the years betting on weather predictions. I'm sure he's right that the natural trend is for the earth to be cooling, but I'm not sure I trust him on man-made climate change.
  • Options

Well, it's looking like I've called this pretty wrong. Big questions for UKIP if it really is a 7k+ majority, though - I thought they'd hit on the right strategy. I suspect they still have, given the state of the Labour Party, but they've got a fair way further to go than I expected.

It will tell Corbyn that he is doing the right thing and not to change.

Which is great for the Tories.
  • Options
    Pong said:

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton · 59s59 seconds ago

Impossible surely
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Was Labour 54.8% UKIP 20.6% in May so that suggests UKIP up a bit, Labour virtually unchanged

That would have to be regarded as pretty poor from UKIP.

• Options
    @roadto326: Maybe the Lib Dems are actually on a massive wind-up as they are literally past caring and it's actually really close.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I could see Piers Corbyn standing for UKIP
    Don't start your Piers Corbyn UKIP leader again.
  • Options
    Fucking hell.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2015
    Oldham out of touch with the rest of the country which views Corbyn as unelectable.
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 3m3 minutes ago

That would be a 36% lead over UKIP based on the turnout figures.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,819

But could that donkey become a stalking horse one day soon??
  • Options
    If UKIP really has not made any progress in Oldham, then Farage needs to reconsider re-resigning....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

All is well

I'll switch your words around. I think it shouldn't make much difference. But not everyone currently knows that Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser as the don't follow politics as deeply as you or I. Getting labels onto your opponents can be brutal but can work. The fact that Labour are clinging more and more to the terrorist sympathiser makes it win win.
    I never said Corbyn or McDonnell were not terrorist sympathisers, I thought it poor form from Cameron to imply that people that voted against his motion would be aligning themselves with terrorist sympathisers

Enough Philip, it's too late for petty squabbling. You and I disagree on almost everything, it's fine by me I don't want to convince you
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Rumours are just rumours.

The "LD source" could just be looking at a selection of boxes & multiplying up, or something.

Or they might be spot on.

Who knows.
  • Options
    If these reports are anything like accurate, then Labour certainly scoop the Best Expectations Management Award 2015
  • Options
    Cameron and Osborne must be laughing at this result. Keeps Corbyn in place for the foreseeable future.
  • Options

Yep - tonight is a great night for the Blues.

• Options
    Totting up @isam's book looks like the bookie wins !

Lib Dem vs Tory match bet the big sweater.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fucking hell.

If the result is really a huge huge Labour victory, Benn will be out by Christmas.
  • Options
    Jennifer Williams ‏@JenWilliamsMEN
    Labour briefing comfortable majority, although not into double figures (of thousands, not actual double figures)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    isam said:

isam said:

All is well

It was bullying. It wasn't Labour that he needed to apologise to, it was the Tory back benchers he was trying (perhaps with some success) to intimidate. When the Prime Minister of Britain, the First lord of the admiralty, who launches drone strikes against terrorists, threatens to classify people as terrorist sympathisers, the implication is very clear and ominous.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Very poor show from UKIP if true. That can't all be blamed on dodgy Asians manipulating postal votes. Where's the WWC surge?

• Options
    "According to a Lib Dem source, Labour is heading for 62% and Ukip 23%. That would give Labour a majority of around 10,800."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/dec/03/oldham-byelection-labour-corbyn-ukip-challenge-in-first-test-of-corbyns-popularity-live
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%

Indeed but it looks like the Muslim vote came out for Labour UKIP did not make big enough inroads into white working class
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited December 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Rods Swing-Back model should be up and running tomorrow anyway.

I back-pedalled on the swing-back model after it didn't do too well in 2010, and it did indeed perform even worse in 2015...

I stuck my colours to my own new local election model, and to L&N (who stupidly got cold feet about their model in the run-up to 2015)
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/05/27/guest-slot-rod-crosby-the-bell-tolls-for-labour-and-miliband/
  • Options
    AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 16m16 minutes ago
    If latest % numbers from Oldham right, Lab majority will be nearer 11,000
  • Options

viewcode said:

MP_SE said:

Gerrymandering rules OK.
    Clearly you have never seen the Conservative postal vote operation in practice in nursing homes in towns like Brighton and Worthing
    True.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"According to a Lib Dem source, Labour is heading for 62% and Ukip 23%. That would give Labour a majority of around 10,800."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/dec/03/oldham-byelection-labour-corbyn-ukip-challenge-in-first-test-of-corbyns-popularity-live

That leaves 15%.
  • Options
    The constituency has a 25% muslim electorate, who vote Labour in overwhelming numbers and against military action in muslim countries.

That's why Galloway has stood, and won, in Bethnal Green and Bradford.
  • Options

It suggests what most polls are suggesting, other than Comres, that Labour is on 30% or so nationally and have made no progress since May under Corbyn but have not collapsed either as the most pessimistic forecasts had predicted, Corbyn has not won over any Tories or UKIP voters but he has held onto the vast majority of those who voted for Ed Miliband
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%

Indeed but it looks like the Muslim vote came out for Labour UKIP did not make big enough inroads into white working class
    And each muslim voter is worth 2 WWC.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

My very first prediction was Labour 55-65.
    Corbyn can use it as a weapon to clear the shadow cabinet from his enemies, Benn especially.
  • Options
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Speedy said:

Very poor show from UKIP if true. That can't all be blamed on dodgy Asians manipulating postal votes. Where's the WWC surge?

Already Kippers, never voted, stopped voting, etc.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Climate's been a-changing ever since the atmosphere first formed billions of years ago.
    That is Piers' argument
  • Options
    "There were 7,115 postal votes cast, it has emerged. They account for 25.6% of the votes cast."

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    My LibDem saved deposit bet not looking good...
  • Options
    Looks like lots of Tories may have voted tactically for Labour to keep Corbyn in place.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Labour majority over 2000 was 11/8 on Ladbrokes today.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%

Apparently the constituency is 56,000 white British and 14,000 Asian British. At the very least it looks like UKIP failed to inspire the WWC vote, some of which - at least - stuck with Labour. A good night for Jezza, a poir one for UKIP and those eho want an electable Labour party, and a great one for the Tories.

• Options
    LOL if this result is a huge Labour victory, my dad will continue to believe Corbyn is 'popular'....
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The constituency has a 25% muslim electorate, who vote Labour in overwhelming numbers and against military action in muslim countries.

That's why Galloway has stood, and won, in Bethnal Green and Bradford.

Conversely the population is 75% not then and you don't get a 55% share purely from 25% of the population.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

We still don't know the outcome but if it is true that Labour have done very well, it shows all the gossip is worthless. As I have said, many times before, find out the canvass returns from more than one party. The parties leak like a sieve at election time. Then estimate turnout to recalibrate share.

OK, I'll bite.

a) How does one find out the canvass returns?
    b) how does one estimate turnout?
    c) how does one use the turnout estimates to recalibrate share?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Why are the Kippers so rubbish at real elections ?
  • Options
    7,115 postal ballots, rather than the excitable 11,000 being cited earlier.
  • Options
    Labour had a very good candidate. UKIP? Not so much.

The Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities love Corbyn - and will have voted en masse for him. Labour seats that don't have such a solid block of south Asian votes to rely on should still be of much more concern.
  • Options
    Just one more vote than the Lib Dems, Tories !!! Please !
  • Options
    Artist said:

Labour majority over 2000 was 11/8 on Ladbrokes today.

15/8 until Tuesday, IIRC.

I was surprised Shadsy held that price for so long.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    HYUFD said:

It suggests what most polls are suggesting, other than Comres, that Labour is on 30% or so nationally and have made no progress since May under Corbyn but have not collapsed either as the most pessimistic forecasts had predicted, Corbyn has not won over any Tories or UKIP voters but he has held onto the vast majority of those who voted for Ed Miliband
    Which is precisely what I said in the summer, that Corbyn is a low risk low reward candidate, he won't lose or gain many votes despite the screaming from the right or the left.
This discussion has been closed.