Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB Oldham Prediction and this week’s local by-elections

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    TGOHF said:

Why are the Kippers so rubbish at real elections ?

They weren't rubbish in next door Heywood where they went from 2.6% to 38.7%.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,948
    Pong said:

Artist said:

Labour majority over 2000 was 11/8 on Ladbrokes today.

15/8 until Tuesday, IIRC.

I was surprised Shadsy held that price for so long.
    I think you've smashed this BE from every angle, well done !
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

chestnut said:

The constituency has a 25% muslim electorate, who vote Labour in overwhelming numbers and against military action in muslim countries.

That's why Galloway has stood, and won, in Bethnal Green and Bradford.

Conversely the population is 75% not then and you don't get a 55% share purely from 25% of the population.
    That is true, but it gives you one hell of a head start.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:
    That would be something like

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Was Labour 54.8% UKIP 20.6% in May so that suggests UKIP up a bit, Labour virtually unchanged

That would have to be regarded as pretty poor from UKIP.

Indeed but it looks like the Muslim vote came out for Labour UKIP did not make big enough inroads into white working class

Apparently the constituency is 56,000 white British and 14,000 Asian British. At the very least it looks like UKIP failed to inspire the WWC vote, some of which - at least - stuck with Labour. A good night for Jezza, a poir one for UKIP and those eho want an electable Labour party, and a great one for the Tories.

Excellent summary IMO
  • Options
    what are they showing on the big screen?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVVzKOzWIAAB-Bo.jpg:large
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    AndyJS said:

Oldham out of touch with the rest of the country which views Corbyn as unelectable.

LOL
    chestnut said:

Boleyn (Newham) result:
    LAB: 72.1% (+7.9)
    LDEM: 9.1% (+9.1)
    CON: 8.6% (-12.4)
    GRN: 5.9% (+5.9)
    UKIP: 3.9% (+3.9)
    IND: 0.5% (+0.5)

10% swing to Jezza in out of touch Boleyn too
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

wasn't that the same candidate?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    edited December 2015
    While Corbyn remaining in place might seem like it should hurt in the long run, with his low approvals and so on, generally accepted wisdom was still that Labour would take a hit here. If they haven't, as seems the case, will we have to revise our view that he will inevitably do as poorly in future as has been predicted, particularly when he will likely be competing against Osborne, May or Johnson? He has, after all, just demonstrated he has a lot more support in the PLP that some think (if not in the shadow cabinet), the members are with him, the polls aren't great but haven't collapsed, and the Tories will in future have a new leader, possible economic troubles and Europe to contend with, and his personal ratings are so low they can only go up from here.

Now I still think Corbyn is not the sort of person the UK would vote for en masse. But clearly people will still consider Labour as much as they would before right now, so if he is a major drag, it might not be apparent except at a GE, when the binary Con-Lab choice will once again come up? Other votes if people hate the Tories or like the Labour brand enough, or both, without the personal worry of Corbyn himself, may not be as problematic. So..Khan safe then?

Good night.
  • Options
    The good news for Labour is it looks like the candidate is a proper prospect who'll sit on the sane, grounded side of the party.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    AndyJS said:
    Chemical analysis shows that they only contain the ink from 17 pens....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,905
    TGOHF said:

Their vote is too thinly spread and their leader is marmite
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

Show me 2nd place and I'll show you first loser.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

How many prizes are there for second place?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Portillo still a class act...my absolute fav!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,086
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Well, it's looking like I've called this pretty wrong. Big questions for UKIP if it really is a 7k+ majority, though - I thought they'd hit on the right strategy. I suspect they still have, given the state of the Labour Party, but they've got a fair way further to go than I expected.

It will tell Corbyn that he is doing the right thing and not to change.

Which is great for the Tories.
    It suggests what most polls are suggesting, other than Comres, that Labour is on 30% or so nationally and have made no progress since May under Corbyn but have not collapsed either as the most pessimistic forecasts had predicted, Corbyn has not won over any Tories or UKIP voters but he has held onto the vast majority of those who voted for Ed Miliband
    Which is precisely what I said in the summer, that Corbyn is a low risk low reward candidate, he won't lose or gain many votes despite the screaming from the right or the left.
    Indeed, Corbyn is shoring up the Labour base and the ethnic Muslim vote but turning off swing voters who voted for Cameron, hence little change since the election
  • Options

AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

Depends which country I suppose. In Denmark the party that came third with 19% of the vote holds 100% of cabinet positions.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

TGOHF said:

Depends if you've bet on the w/o Labour market.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Oldham out of touch with the rest of the country which views Corbyn as unelectable.

LOL
    chestnut said:

Boleyn (Newham) result:

TheScreamingEagles said:
    @britainelects:
    Teme Valley (Malvern Hills) result:
    CON: 63.8% (-8.4)
    LAB: 22.9% (+22.9)
    UKIP: 13.3% (-14.4)

15% SWING CON to LAB in out of touch Teme Valley too
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

what are they showing on the big screen?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVVzKOzWIAAB-Bo.jpg:large

I don't know, but the count looks like it has ended and Labour are having a party.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Labour had a very good candidate. UKIP? Not so much.

The Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities love Corbyn - and will have voted en masse for him. Labour seats that don't have such a solid block of south Asian votes to rely on should still be of much more concern.

There are fewer and fewer of those...
  • Options

AndyJS said:

LOL
    chestnut said:

Boleyn (Newham) result:

TheScreamingEagles said:
    @britainelects:

Helps if you go from not fielding a candidate to having one...
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2015
    "Corbyn to leave post of Labour Leader in 2020" on offer at 7/1 from Hills looks like a value bet if you're prepared to wait four and a half years for your money.
    As ever DYOR.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

LOL
    chestnut said:

Boleyn (Newham) result:

TheScreamingEagles said:
    @britainelects:

Labour doing well where it matters!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%
    Was Labour 54.8% UKIP 20.6% in May so that suggests UKIP up a bit, Labour virtually unchanged

Indeed but it looks like the Muslim vote came out for Labour UKIP did not make big enough inroads into white working class

Apparently the constituency is 56,000 white British and 14,000 Asian British. At the very least it looks like UKIP failed to inspire the WWC vote, some of which - at least - stuck with Labour. A good night for Jezza, a poir one for UKIP and those eho want an electable Labour party, and a great one for the Tories.

Turnout in The Asian British community is no usually very different to the white population.

Maybe, just maybe, the kippers are not as popular with the northern WWC as some on here would have, and maybe the same people are not so keen on bombing.

• Options

The good news for Labour is it looks like the candidate is a proper prospect who'll sit on the sane, grounded side of the party.

That is the only negative for Labour.
    Having an extra MP conspiring against their own party.
  • Options
    @SebastianEPayne: #Ukip sources say Labour has carried out an “extraordinary" postal vote operation in #OldhamWest - “I’ve never seen anything like it”
  • Options
    chestnut said:

7,115 postal ballots, rather than the excitable 11,000 being cited earlier.

3,900 kept in a back room "just in case...."!
  • Options

"Corbyn to leave post of Labour Leader in 2020" on offer at 7/1 from Hills looks like a value bet if you're prepared to wait four and a half years for your money.
    As ever DYOR.

I think I can get a better return on my money over the next 4 years in other ways.
  • Options
    McMahon voted Kendall
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%

Turnout in The Asian British community is no usually very different to the white population.

Maybe, just maybe, the kippers are not as popular with the northern WWC as some on here would have, and maybe the same people are not so keen on bombing.

I have said on here many times that to win in traditional Labour seats UKIP is going to have to tack left. Its leadership is going to find that very hard given their bone dry politics.

• Options

@SebastianEPayne: #Ukip sources say Labour has carried out an “extraordinary" postal vote operation in #OldhamWest - “I’ve never seen anything like it”

He's obviously never been to East London. :smile:
  • Options

AndyJS said:

LOL
    chestnut said:

Boleyn (Newham) result:

TheScreamingEagles said:
    @britainelects:

Helps if you go from not fielding a candidate to having one...
    Titter you spotted it
  • Options
    There's clearly a difference between seats like Heywood & MIddleton and Oldham West & Royton.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%

• Options
    edited December 2015
    If I were Corbyn I would have raced to go to the Oldham count for the declaration, to gain as much credit for the result as possible.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,819
    Labour majority to outstrip the total number of postal votes cast?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

If I was Corbyn I would have raced to go to the Oldham count for the declaration, to gain as much credit for the result as possible.

You seemed to have mistaken Team Corbyn with a intelligent PR savvy operation.
  • Options
    Looks like the green party victory speech would have been interesting.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

If I were Corbyn I would have raced to go to the Oldham count for the declaration, to gain as much credit for the result as possible.

To be honest, a terrible result for moderate Labour supporters who want the party to have a chance at the next general election.
  • Options

Speedy said:

If I was Corbyn I would have raced to go to the Oldham count for the declaration, to gain as much credit for the result as possible.

You seemed to have mistaken Team Corbyn with a PR savvy operation.
    I think you're misunderestimating the brilliance of Seumas Milne
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    viewcode said:

Dixie said:

We still don't know the outcome but if it is true that Labour have done very well, it shows all the gossip is worthless. As I have said, many times before, find out the canvass returns from more than one party. The parties leak like a sieve at election time. Then estimate turnout to recalibrate share.

OK, I'll bite.

a) How does one find out the canvass returns?
    b) how does one estimate turnout?
    c) how does one use the turnout estimates to recalibrate share?
    Great

Visit the saddo political websites, just google them. Activists gossip amongst themselves. If you belong to a political party, ask if anyone has been to constituency, or if they know a local activist. If not, e-mail local activists, say you are helping and ask how is it going.

You can't estimate turnout beyond what is normal in that type of election. This was by-election so, 40% is about right.

Recalibrate. So, Labour said less people were voting for them. But less people were voting for all parties as turnout down. If GE turnout 60% and by-election 40% simply divide 40/60, two thirds.

I happen to know a Labour bloke who gives lots of info around the country. He's often right. UKIP boast so that's easy and you know when they are lying. You do have to do some digging but politicians/activists love to talk.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

There's clearly a difference between seats like Heywood & MIddleton and Oldham West & Royton.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

MP_SE said:

Lab 15500 55%
    UKIP 8500 30%
    Oth 4000 14%

Yep. Peak Kipper was in 2014.
  • Options

McMahon voted Kendall

So Oldham a Tory gain then? Yay!!
  • Options

Speedy said:

Well it only dawned an hour ago that Labour would win massively and Oldham is many hours drive away from Islington.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845

Glenrothes?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Wasn't Corbyn told not to go? The local spin seems to be this is all about the candidate.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I love Paul Nuttall's accent.
  • Options
    More Labour celebrations in the middle of the hall. And lack of activities at the counting tables suggesting they should finish soon...
    http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVV2GkwWcAA6cZx.jpg:large
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2015
    @LibDemDeposits heroically make their first tweet since May 8th
  • Options
    but given past forms..we may wait for another hour looking at moribound counters sleeping on the tables
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

I guess you haven't seen the gushing praise McMahon had for Maomentum...

He's a careerist, he'll do what will keep him from being deselected.

• Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options

@LibDemDeposits heroically make their first tweet since May 8th

Fuck.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Shy Labour! Still, no counting yet though is there?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    AndyJS said:
    Supposedly Farage doesn't control his Twitter account as he can barely use a computer.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    He better have some evidence to back that up.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    How many of those by elections have he won without a defector incumbent? *Innocent Face*
  • Options
    Lutfur Rahman !
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

To be honest, a terrible result for moderate Labour supporters who want the party to have a chance at the next general election.
    Voters don't seem to like moderate Labour supporters.
    Terrible result for Benn of course.
  • Options
    It is usual for the main opposition party to get a swing towards them in a by-election. Labour may be cocksure but frankly this is a safe seat
  • Options
    Result could be before 1am according Faisal Islam
  • Options
    Arif Ansari ‏@ArifBBC 3m3 minutes ago
    Possibly declaration in about 10 minutes in Oldham West & Royton

Declaration coming?
    I hope so.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    AndyJS said:
    Probably both?
  • Options
    Dixie said:

It is usual for the main opposition party to get a swing towards them in a by-election. Labour may be cocksure but frankly this is a safe seat

David Cameron got a double-digit swing away from him in his first by-election defence as leader.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited December 2015
    Corbyn only went up at the beginning of the campaign. Was supposed to go last Friday and it was cancelled at last minute. McDonnell went during the last weekend.

McMahon is frontbench material.

Speedy said:

Wasn't Corbyn told not to go? The local spin seems to be this is all about the candidate.

• Options
    Labour did well in all by-elections tonight, a swing to them from Tories in most, if not all votes
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited December 2015
    I don't see why it's bad of Labour to focus on the Asian vote, if that's what they did. They want to win and they do what it takes to win.

And if they all voted by post so what? They weren't going to be persuaded by Ukip in the final week I doubt!
  • Options
    Paul Nuttall saying postal votes were 99% Labour. Not sure whether he means postal votes in their entirety or just a particular segment of them.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

Voters don't seem to like moderate Labour supporters.
    Terrible result for Benn of course.
    It does look like they like moderate Labour PPCs though!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Nuttall going for the postal voting set up in Tower Hamlets, Birmingham etc.

• Options
    Looks like UKIP couldn't get the "Friday votes" out for themselves !
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Dixie said:

David Cameron got a double-digit swing away from him in his first by-election defence as leader.
    Good point.
  • Options
    Postal voting should be scrapped.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    AndyJS said:

Paul Nuttall saying postal votes were 99% Labour. Not sure whether he means postal votes in their entirety or just a particular segment of them.

Lol if that actually happened in certain areas.
  • Options
    This row is bad news for both Labour and UKIP. Looks UKIP look racist and Labour beholden to the muslim vote.

Tories laughing !
  • Options

I agree. For pensioners, disabled and those proven to be out of country. That was the original objective.
  • Options

As ever DYOR.

I think I can get a better return on my money over the next 4 years in other ways.
    So you claim to be able to beat a 700% return over the next 4.5 years ...... Wow, I'd love to share your investing techniques!
  • Options

Corbyn only went up at the beginning of the campaign. Was supposed to go last Friday and it was cancelled at last minute. McDonnell went during the last weekend.

McMahon is frontbench material. Maybe not Corbyn's front bench but someone's frontbench

Speedy said:

Corbyn couldn't visit Oldham because of the usual suspects conspiring over Syria
    Since the Syrian vote was top news for at least a week and this election was framed by Corbyn's enemies as a referendum on Corbyn and his stance on Syria, this is a big victory for Corbyn.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This row is bad news for both Labour and UKIP. Looks UKIP look racist and Labour beholden to the muslim vote.

Tories laughing !

Laughing all the way to their £500 outgoing ;)
  • Options

Won't happen, the Tories are the biggest beneficiaries from postal voting.
  • Options

As ever DYOR.

So you claim to be able to beat a 700% return over the next 4.5 years ...... Wow, I'd love to share your investing techniques!
    I was thinking that. Other than picking Apple and Google in a time machine...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Tories laughing !

Laughing all the way to their £500 outgoing ;)
    So long as they've beaten "that other party"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

I believe it used to be far harder to get a postal or proxy vote.
  • Options
    "The Lib Dems seem to have accepted their deposit is gone. Will the Monster Raving Loony Party beat them? There’s whispers that could happen."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-oldham-west-royton-election-10546128
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Do you not need to have a good reason to get one these days ?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Dixie said:

I agree. For pensioners, disabled and those proven to be out of country. That was the original objective.
    And older folk who do not like to go out on a stormy Lancashire day.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,086
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

Even IDS got 2 years and had some reasonable local election results and no disastrous by-elections until Brent East when the Tories came third which triggered his ousting, I have always said Corbyn will be leader at least until 2017 and given Labour won Oldham even in 1983 it would have been an appalling result had they lost it

Of course the winning Labour candidate, Jim McMahon, backed Liz Kendall for leader so the Blairites could even claim this is their victory really not Corbyn's
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"The Lib Dems seem to have accepted their deposit is gone. Will the Monster Raving Loony Party beat them? There’s whispers that could happen."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/live-oldham-west-royton-election-10546128

Oh pleaaaaaaaaaase !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

You used to need a good reason; but I believe these days you can just ask. A consequence of labour reforms under Blair
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

As ever DYOR.

PfP - in investments you look at expected returns. For you to get your 700% expected return, you'd have to be 100% certain on your bet coming home.
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 1m1 minute ago
    Labour source hears that Oldham vote share up since May (from 55%)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes, I fear I'm going to be paying out to a bunch of PBers tomorrow
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Nope, I got one in May very easily, I said I was busy on the day, which is true, I was campaigning in Pudsey, then headed to Manchester to edit PB.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Yep. UKIP are probably just trying to muddy the waters to obscure how poorly they've done but my point still stands, if you're too lazy to go out and vote you don't get to vote. Infirm and elderly and abroad fair enough.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As ever DYOR.

I was thinking that. Other than picking Apple and Google in a time machine...
    It seemed a perfectly sensible comment to me. If you're calculating the expected return on a bet, you can't just assume you're going to win it. There's value in the bet if the odds are longer than the true probability implies - but you'd need that reality gap to be pretty wide, to generate better expected returns than other things you could do with your money over the course of 4.5 years.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Nope, I got one in May very easily, I said I was busy on the day, which is true, I was campaigning in Pudsey, then headed to Manchester to edit PB.
    To be fair, that qualifies as an essential service to the nation which should automatically qualify you for one ;)
  • Options
    Result in three minutes
  • Options
    "Dirty tricks !" arf

From Labour.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Result in three minutes

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh I'm as excited as my avatar.
This discussion has been closed.