Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Many congratulations to those who called it right

Comments

• Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Still waiting on Bedford, Warwick & Leamington, Crewe & Nantwich. All needed by CON, failing another stunner or three,
  • Options
    paulyorkpaulyork Posts: 50
    Boris secretary of state for scotland!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

felix said:

We need some new Opinion pollsters - pronto!!!

Please no.

We need a total re-write of polling methods and the BPC need an urgent independent enquiry. Make no mistake, this is an unmitigated polling cock up.
    From memory the BBC poll of polls was showing something like:
    Tory 34, Lab 33, UKIP 13. LD 8 and the actual looks like
    Tory 36, Lab 31, UKIP 13, LD 8
    which is within MoE.
    It's FPTP which makes the seats results such a lottery.
    You think "within MoE" is a legitimate thing to say about an average of a large number of polls?

And yet you understand Ther Science on AGW better than all the rest of us. Well done.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688
    Con GAIN Derby North
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Jonathan said:

The left divide, the Tories win. We learnt that in the 80s. Shame we have to learn that lesson the hard way all over again.

ScotRef and the Coalition. Two more potent means to divide the left it is impossible to imagine.

In what way did the left divide? If you added up SNP + Labour you wouldn't have any extra impact.

The failure was that labour didn't work in middle england...at all.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    edited May 2015

Con GAIN Derby North

YES :D

Tipping Point????
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661
    So I guess we'll never get 'an NHS with time to care'.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2015
    Results so far: - Tory 310 – LAB 227 – SNP 56 – LD 8 – UKIP 1 - GRN 1
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited May 2015

felix said:

Please no.

We need a total re-write of polling methods and the BPC need an urgent independent enquiry. Make no mistake, this is an unmitigated polling cock up.
    which is within MoE.
    That's MoE but at the end all the polls were showing basically the same thing. That can't all be MoE - either they were systemically wrong, or the voters moved the goalposts after the last interviews or both.

What is true is that any single given pollster (except YouGov because they polled so much) may have been MoE - for example, ICM was mainly showing something closer to the result, except that very last poll, so maybe they just got unlucky despite a basically sound methodology.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,942

So 2015 is the new 1992. Cameron's challenge is to make sure 2020 is not the new 1997. With a big split on Europe coming up, things look difficult

I think this is more like 1955 than 1992.

1992 was all about the Tories just about hanging on, but people forget they lost a LOT of seat's that they won in the 83 and 87 landslides.

This election is about the Conservative not just hanging on, but entrenching and in many cases improving their position while Labour has fallen back further.

That's more like 1955, IMO.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    CON GAIN DERBY N from Labour
  • Options
    jascowjascow Posts: 18
    Morning all. Cannot quite believe this result for us. I really thought Labour and Ed M would squeak it.

Will take some time to process how exactly we managed to get a majority (or close to it)

Has anyone been doing a results spreadsheet?

• Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Prodicus said:

Still waiting on Bedford, Warwick & Leamington, Crewe & Nantwich. All needed by CON, failing another stunner or three,

Warwick and Leamington surely Tory hold given other Warwickshire results, and swing in nearby Cov S
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Con GAIN Derby North!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Dair said:

felix said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

Those that criticised the Tory campaign (and I include myself) have to give credit for something truly incredible here. Cameron went on the attack looking for the seats that he needed for the majority. I criticised him for it yesterday morning bemoaning the fact that he spent so long in Lib Dem seats instead of seeking to protect the seats he was going to lose to Labour.

He was absolutely spot on. Incredibly so. Just an amazing result. This eclipses Major's result in 1992. Cameron has done something almost everyone, including me, thought was impossible.

Someone needs to explain how the Tories won.

If they won by creating an English Nationalism where hatred of Scotland is the priority, then perhaps that might not be what you want./
    That's the response of a bitter loser - just like Labour speakers. It's much easier for them to do that than consider what they did wrong.
    Scotland won. 56 out of 59 MPs. Tories lost, Labour lost, Lib Dems need to be removed from being a "Major Party". UKIP need to be removed from being a "Major Party". Greens did on. SNP won the election.

There has been a significant change off circumstances.
    How have we lost? We're up in MPs and have an overall majority. Take your head out of your arse and stop inspecting the Scottish navel - your MPs aren't relevant. Your "progressive alliance" lost.

The SNP got exactly the result it wanted in both Scotland and the UK.

The SNP is very clearly panicked by the Tory victory. They are in danger of becoming the Aunt Sallies of Scottish politics.
  • Options
    So the Ed Stone was more of a Tombstone.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448
    DavidL said:

Hammond back to his proper role of Chief Secretary or is that too big a demotion now?

Hammond will stay. In any case, there are a lot of spaces to fill in the government now that the Lib Dems aren't in it.
  • Options
    Tim Reid ‏@TimReidBBC 4 mins4 minutes ago

There are 3 polar bears in Scotland, I'm told, at Highland Wildlife Park - so that's one each for Lab, LD and Tory MPs #ge2015 #bearfacts
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Con GAIN Derby North

The Labour MP there was not my cup of tea, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,844
    Dair said:

If Labour had held onto every one of their 41 Scottish seats, they still would have lost this election, and there'd still be a Tory maj/close to a Tory maj.

Astonishing.

Hasnt stopped the Labouristas pretending its all Scotland's fault.
    When its not David Cameron's fault for stirring up the Nats.....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064

Tim Reid ‏@TimReidBBC 4 mins4 minutes ago

There are 3 polar bears in Scotland, I'm told, at Highland Wildlife Park - so that's one each for Lab, LD and Tory MPs #ge2015 #bearfacts

Or Red Pandas, as I have said before.

• Options
    Ed Miliband and Ed Balls = Varro and Paullus

Dave = Hannibal
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited May 2015
    How are there seats in the middle of England that havent declared at 9am while all of Northern Ireland and the Western Isles have declared and WI was one of the earliest declarations and Orkney and Zetland with like 150 islands with people declared at 4am?
  • Options
    ReprobatusReprobatus Posts: 27
    Derby North, my constituency. Did not see that coming...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con GAIN Derby North

The Labour MP there was not my cup of tea, to put it mildly.
    Quite outstanding news.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited May 2015

Con GAIN Derby North!

WOW!

I have the impression that the Tories have won more of the narrow ones than they've lost.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The left divide, the Tories win. We learnt that in the 80s. Shame we have to learn that lesson the hard way all over again.

ScotRef and the Coalition. Two more potent means to divide the left it is impossible to imagine.

What shite! The right is divided. Imagine the truly crushing result that we would have had without UKIP. The left in England is only Labour really. They are not divided. They are simply incoherent.
  • Options
    Chris Williamson defeated in Derby North by 41 votes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000662
  • Options
    Con HOLD Congleton 311 vs 227
  • Options
    Dair said:

How are there seats in the middle of England that havent declared at 9am while all of Northern Ireland and the Western Isles havent declared and WI was one of the earliest declarations and Orkney and Zetland with like 150 islands with people declared at 4am?

Cheap councils not paying to have them counted on the night. Sickening.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 914
    Its an ill wind My boss last night at 5pm wanted to put a bet on aTory win. So opened an account for him at W Hill (he doesn't use computers!)- put £100 at 12-1 on seats 326-350.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Nicky Campbell can barely conceal his horror and bitterness at the result this morning on 5 Live.

Its an utter delight.

LD leadership campaign - will it just be first 2 places for each way betting ? ;)
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

felix said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

Those that criticised the Tory campaign (and I include myself) have to give credit for something truly incredible here. Cameron went on the attack looking for the seats that he needed for the majority. I criticised him for it yesterday morning bemoaning the fact that he spent so long in Lib Dem seats instead of seeking to protect the seats he was going to lose to Labour.

He was absolutely spot on. Incredibly so. Just an amazing result. This eclipses Major's result in 1992. Cameron has done something almost everyone, including me, thought was impossible.

Someone needs to explain how the Tories won.

If they won by creating an English Nationalism where hatred of Scotland is the priority, then perhaps that might not be what you want./
    That's the response of a bitter loser - just like Labour speakers. It's much easier for them to do that than consider what they did wrong.
    Scotland won. 56 out of 59 MPs. Tories lost, Labour lost, Lib Dems need to be removed from being a "Major Party". UKIP need to be removed from being a "Major Party". Greens did on. SNP won the election.

There has been a significant change off circumstances.
    How have we lost? We're up in MPs and have an overall majority. Take your head out of your arse and stop inspecting the Scottish navel - your MPs aren't relevant. Your "progressive alliance" lost.
    It gives the SNP a Significant change of circumstances.
    It does, and I think it's to be welcomed. But denying the Tories' victory is simply silly, and accusing them of winning of the back of demonising the SNP is absurdly hyppocritical considering your party has been doing the reverse ever since its creation.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,188
    Did any of Labour's 2010 retreads win?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    Mr. Eagles, quite.

Got to say, when I made that list of emperors for Cameron based on success/failure, I only included a majority emperor for the sake of completeness.

Cameron on course to be Trajan.

Ed Miliband is either Honorius or Valerian [or possibly one of the Angeli].
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Dair said:

If Labour had held onto every one of their 41 Scottish seats, they still would have lost this election, and there'd still be a Tory maj/close to a Tory maj.

Astonishing.

Hasnt stopped the Labouristas pretending its all Scotland's fault.
    Grasping for the easy answer is to be expected at this early stage I guess. It will be interesting to see if that changes.
  • Options
    I can't see Dave moving Philip Hammond.

Simple truth is, he's an Outer.

If Dave puts into the FCO someone less Eurosceptic before the in/out referendum the Eurosceptics well you know, act stupid.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2015

felix said:

Please no.

which is within MoE.
    But a result at the extreme of the MOE should only have a 5% chance of occurring. Given every polling company predicted a similar result, the odds are miniscule (0.05)^8
    you have that the wrong way round, its 0.95^8 for it to not happen.

edit: sorry misunderstood what you were saying.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Spare a moment for all of the TV graphic designers who have spent months dreaming up ever more exotic ways of showing rainbow coalitions in the HoC.

All wasted...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211

Louise Cooper ‏@Louiseaileen70 10 mins10 minutes ago

Centrica up 7%, SSE +5%, Lloyds +7% BARC +5% RBS +5.5%
    7 retweets 0 favorites

Tories generating more wealth already :)

I used to work with her at Goldman in the late 90s
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    RobD said:

Dair said:

How are there seats in the middle of England that havent declared at 9am while all of Northern Ireland and the Western Isles havent declared and WI was one of the earliest declarations and Orkney and Zetland with like 150 islands with people declared at 4am?

Surely it's one of the sensible "efficiency savings" that councils are being told they must do?

• Options
    I was asked twice yesterday to stand for the local council - I can't think of a fate worse than this bar death :smile:
    RobD said:

I think I've realised today how much more passionate I am about politics than my actual job. Perhaps I should change careers :D

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,844

Plato said:

That must taste very sweet.

DavidL said:

Balls losing probably makes Yvette a much stronger candidate for the leadership. In fact it probably makes her favourite.

We can now confirm George o is genius, as his two 'superior' rivals in 2010. Are both ex mos now, Vince and balls.
    Pray for tim....
    No tweets for 17 hours......
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

In what way did the left divide? If you added up SNP + Labour you wouldn't have any extra impact.

There was quite sophisticated distribution of vote in England between the LDs and Labour in England that maximised seats. The coalition destroyed that.

ScotRef pushed Labour into Better Together, campaign side by side with the SNP. Creating the SNP question that Labour simply could not answer. This had implications in England and Scotland. I would say losing key members of the shadow cabinet as a loss of impact.

So we have to start all over again.

• Options
    Plato said:

I was asked twice yesterday to stand for the local council - I can't think of a fate worse than this bar death :smile:

RobD said:

I think I've realised today how much more passionate I am about politics than my actual job. Perhaps I should change careers :D

Eh, I'd rather work for the party, than stand for election :p
  • Options

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Balls losing probably makes Yvette a much stronger candidate for the leadership. In fact it probably makes her favourite.

We can now confirm George o is genius, as his two 'superior' rivals in 2010. Are both ex mos now, Vince and balls.
    Pray for tim....
    Not heard from IOS either. Wonder if he can fill us in on how the ground game is going....
  • Options
    @Greg_Callus: Next LibDem leader must be nominated by 10% MPs. That's now a single MP: Clegg, Farron, Pugh, Mulholland, Williams, Lamb, Carmichael, Brake
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RobD said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Pray for tim....
    Not heard from IOS either. Wonder if he can fill us in on how the ground game is going....
    He gave us so much false hope.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

There was quite sophisticated distribution of vote in England between the LDs and Labour in England that maximised seats. The coalition destroyed that.

ScotRef pushed Labour into Better Together, campaign side by side with the SNP. Creating the SNP question that Labour simply could not answer. This had implications in England and Scotland. I would say losing key members of the shadow cabinet as a loss of impact.

So we have to start all over again.

Labour activists seemed to spend about 4:1 of their time castigating the traitor Lib Dems compared to the Tories. So they got their wish, and the Tories won all those Lib Dem seats. Well done Labour, you earned it.
  • Options

I always thought the Ed Stone was a Headstone pun anyway...
  • Options

RobD said:

Dair said:

Surely it's one of the sensible "efficiency savings" that councils are being told they must do?

The difference in cost between counting on the night and the day after is probably minimal.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    GIN1138 said:

So 2015 is the new 1992. Cameron's challenge is to make sure 2020 is not the new 1997. With a big split on Europe coming up, things look difficult

I think this is more like 1955 than 1992.

1992 was all about the Tories just about hanging on, but people forget they lost a LOT of seat's that they won in the 83 and 87 landslides.

This election is about the Conservative not just hanging on, but entrenching and in many cases improving their position while Labour has fallen back further.

That's more like 1955, IMO.
    Well hopefully Cameron will have lost his appetite for warmongering if we don't want a Suez equivalent.

On the other hand the economy is in far worse relative shape than it was in the 1950s.

• Options

Cambridge :(
  • Options
    Cameron off to the Palace at 12.30, for those who have an interest in such things.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Pray for tim....
    He gave us so much false hope.
    Sorry :(
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    BBC TV saying 'we await Keighley' when it's been on the BBC website for at least an hour! Shambles.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Greg_Callus: Next LibDem leader must be nominated by 10% MPs. That's now a single MP: Clegg, Farron, Pugh, Mulholland, Williams, Lamb, Carmichael, Brake

Ah, now I understand. LOL
  • Options

Joan Ryan in Enfield, I think
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    From now on can we call a Portillo moment an Ed Balls moment?
  • Options
    I just heard the 9am news report, which contained the words "Ed Balls has lost his seat"

I am not sure that will ever get old
  • Options

If Dave puts into the FCO someone less Eurosceptic before the in/out referendum the Eurosceptics well you know, act stupid.

This result has increased the power of the Tory backwoodsmen quite dramatically. Cameron won't know what has hit him.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2015
    how many seats left for Labour? Just the 2 Lutons, Wansbeck and Blyth Valley?
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 2 mins2 minutes ago

Ok let's now get on immediately with constituency boundary changes and reducing MPs from 650 to 600.

Damn straight.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Alistair said:

felix said:

Please no.

which is within MoE.
    But a result at the extreme of the MOE should only have a 5% chance of occurring. Given every polling company predicted a similar result, the odds are miniscule (0.05)^8
    you have that the wrong way round, its 0.95^8 for it to not happen.

edit: sorry misunderstood what you were saying.
    No, he's right. The odds of none of them producing a rogue are 0.95^8. The odds on all of them doing so are 0.05^8.

Edit - missed your edit.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    I'm off for a nap.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    Con +21

3 more potential gains from LD

If no other gains or losses that means:

Con 331 (inc Speaker).

Official Maj 12

Maj (exc SF) 16
  • Options
    Cambridge :
    Huppert went from 19621 vote to 18047
    Labour went from 12829 to 18646
  • Options

Joan Ryan in Enfield, I think
    Also Dawn Butler and Rob Marris.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220

This result has increased the power of the Tory backwoodsmen quite dramatically. Cameron won't know what has hit him.
    I'll be intrigued to hear what Portillo thinks about this result. I suspect he, like other Tories, would have preferred the Tories to be short of a majority and relying upon the Lib Dems as before.

I'm happy that the Tories look like winning a majority. No more excuses.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I always thought the Ed Stone was a Headstone pun anyway...
    It is! Right?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Now Sky says there are no Tories in Scotland!!

Are they competing for some sort of award?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    Whichever way you look at it, 12.5% and one seat (maybe two), is a shocking way to run politics.
  • Options
    Where's IOS?

@MrHarryCole: No doubt the Tories won the air war and 12 hours ago Labour were still saying their ground war would save them. Guess they lost that too.
  • Options
    Sp that ICM poll, Con 39%/Lab 33% that everyone, including the head of ICM thought was "wrong" looks like it was more or less on the money?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@paulmasonnews: Whole Labour inner circle knows problem: if New Lab stage coup Unite leaves and you get an English Syriza, possibly with more money than Lab

That pretty much sums it up - though I suspect a centre left party shorn of Unite would attract a fair few hefty donations from sources that currently keep their wallets shut.

Your problem is that Labour is now fully associated with magic money tree spending.

It wont gain extra votes until it loses that association and if it loses that association it will lose the votes who want magic money tree spending.

Of course the Conservatives also believe in magic money tree spending but they're not associated with it - so Conservative magic money tree spending is called 'austerity' or 'sound economic management' etc.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sp that ICM poll, Con 39%/Lab 33% that everyone, including the head of ICM thought was "wrong" looks like it was more or less on the money?

May2015 said they should have binned it :D
  • Options
    Gavin Hewitt ‏@BBCGavinHewitt 6 mins6 minutes ago

Bad night for pollsters - already some saying there will have to be complete re-examination of methods used#ge2015
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Ok let's now get on immediately with constituency boundary changes and reducing MPs from 650 to 600.

Damn straight.

Hmmm - he needs to go back to opinionpoll grammar school first!
  • Options

Tories nearly 6% ahead now in the national vote share. Pollsters looking very very stupid.

That pro-Labour swing in the opinion polls this week has totally f'cked the polling companies credibility.

I am though a little baffled as to how a level headed man like PtP thought his canvassing experiences in Broxtowe were much better for Labour than those in 2010.
    Wait for some more detail on what happened (especially exit poll detail). It may have just been a swing on the day - you only need 3% of all voters to switch to turn Con 33.5 - Lab 33.5 into Con 36.5 - Lab 30.5.

Anecdotally, we've had Nick Palmer here reporting people who'd said they'd support Lab changing their minds, and Jack Straw was saying something similar on Sky earlier.
    Labour middle-class activists thinking nice WWC people would never lie to them about voting Labour when they were actually supporting UKIP
    Serves them right for demonising anybody who expresses their real view if its different from theirs. I think one big learning emerging from this GE is the whole 'shy Tory / shy Kipper' thing. The 'middle ground' of public discourse is pushed to the left by the BBC, bien-pensant types. It is not actually the middle at all. The pollsters failed to spot this. Maybe they should read PB!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    I can see Balls recovering a la Portillo but Clegg is stuffed unless he ditches the victimhood.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Whichever way you look at it, 12.5% and one seat (maybe two), is a shocking way to run politics.

That's FPTP for you. And a majority government with just above one in three voters.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211

Although it will seriously discourage defections.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Ishmael_X said:

felix said:

Please no.

which is within MoE.
    You think "within MoE" is a legitimate thing to say about an average of a large number of polls?

And yet you understand Ther Science on AGW better than all the rest of us. Well done.

Are you seriously saying that the polls can ever get the result of a general election correct to with a fraction of a percent? I was pointing out that they weren't wildly out and that it was the FPTP system which resulted in an unexpectedly large win for the Tories, do you dispute that?
    On AGW you and "the rest of us" are in a minority. I go with the majority of the scientists.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    Prodicus said:

W&L will be a hold with a significantly increased majority.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    Commiserations to Nick Palmer.

But I'm glad that Balls has gone, and absolutely delighted that the Gallowanker is toast.

I don't envy Cameron his job, though.
  • Options
    I must tune in!
    TGOHF said:

Nicky Campbell can barely conceal his horror and bitterness at the result this morning on 5 Live.

Its an utter delight.

LD leadership campaign - will it just be first 2 places for each way betting ? ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,778

So I guess we'll never get 'an NHS with time to care'.

'An NHS with profits to share'
  • Options

Damn straight.

Another Ashcroft constituency prediction?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Had a flick through the Tory manifesto to see what we're getting. Previously of course it was all subject to coalition negotiations.

Trade union right to vote severely curtailed is worrying.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

No its not. In other words an average of 87.5% did not want a UKIP candidate to represent them across the country.

Each constituency got its choice.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    Carswell must be feeling sick today.
  • Options

David Herdson was campaigning in Morley and Outwood.

David Herdson = PBer of the year

Much as I would like to claim some credit, I did very little campaigning in Morley & Outwood and spent the great majority of my time in Wakefield. I doubt it had a significant impact but the spirited if short campaign we fought may have diluted some of Labour's manpower in M&O. It has certainly kept Wakefield in the game for the next election, particularly as it should now be fought under the revised boundaries in 2020.

Having won POTY once, I'd decline any further nominations but I would point out that in my piece last week I did point out that there was a much greater chance than was commonly being assumed of both a disastrous Lib Dem performance and an excellent Tory one (for balance, I also said that there was a chance of a very good Labour one too, though I don't regret that given that the basic proposition that the polls were unreliable was right).
    I bet Antony Calvert is wondering what might have been.

Do you know Philip Allott of Halifax ? Four winnable constituencies and four disappointments now.
  • Options

Damn straight.

No contrition from Lord Ashcroft about the utter disaster his polls (especially his marginal polls) have been?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Scott_P said:

@paulmasonnews: Whole Labour inner circle knows problem: if New Lab stage coup Unite leaves and you get an English Syriza, possibly with more money than Lab

That pretty much sums it up - though I suspect a centre left party shorn of Unite would attract a fair few hefty donations from sources that currently keep their wallets shut.

Your problem is that Labour is now fully associated with magic money tree spending.

It wont gain extra votes until it loses that association and if it loses that association it will lose the votes who want magic money tree spending.

Of course the Conservatives also believe in magic money tree spending but they're not associated with it - so Conservative magic money tree spending is called 'austerity' or 'sound economic management' etc.
    I can't help but think Miliband and Balls refusal to acknowledge the mess they made of the economy has come back to haunt them.

How will Labour excorcise this ghost. Continued denial just leaves the issue hanging there.
  • Options
    Does the Salisbury convention still apply to minority governments?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,778

DavidL said:

Hammond back to his proper role of Chief Secretary or is that too big a demotion now?

Hammond will stay. In any case, there are a lot of spaces to fill in the government now that the Lib Dems aren't in it.
    Priti for Chief Secretary?
  • Options
    Can I be the first to throw my weight behind ToriesforBurnham ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    TOPPING said:

And @TSE you know what that means for the next thread topic...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    TOPPING said:

Maybe, but I'm not too upset as a Kipper. Some Tories are gloating, and I don't blame them to a certain extent given they were told that the Tories couldn't win. But Ukip aren't about to go away. Cameron will be expected to be a Conservative PM, and if he doesn't live up to expectations, the voters will reject him at the next election.
This discussion has been closed.