Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB moves to 4% lead with Survation and Ed now ahead of Dav

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MSmithsonPB: After last week's 4% CON lead tonight's ComRes/Mail phone poll has
    Con 34% (-2)
    Lab 33% (+1)
    Lib Dem 12% (+3)
    UKIP 12% (NC)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 41 secs42 seconds ago
    After last week's 4% CON lead tonight's ComRes/Mail phone poll has
    Con 34% (-2)
    Lab 33% (+1)
    Lib Dem 12% (+3)
    UKIP 12% (NC)

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole · 2 mins2 minutes ago
    Expecting some over excited Labour poll twitterers to go a bit quiet at ten

Why the f*ck is he on the embargo list and Tissue Price and Pong aren't !
    He's not.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    LD Surge? What's the Green figure?
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Tories retake a small lead as UKIP on the fall again. CON 35%, LAB 34%, UKIP 12%, LDEM 8%, GRN 4%.
  • Options
    @SamCoatesTimes: Exclusive: Awful news for Labour in Scotland as SNP take biggest YouGov lead
    (compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    So the move towards LAB is corroborated, 4 polls so far today
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Meanwhile....in scotland....
  • Options
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 1 min1 minute ago
    ComRes phone poll showing CON lead down from 4 to 1 is for ITV as well as Mail

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Two Tory leads.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Makes you wonder how much these polls simply reflect the fact that huge numbers of people are still away for the Easter break which doesn't end till next week.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Alistair said:

chestnut said:

Labour to put up petrol taxes

steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 38m38 minutes ago
    Harriet Harman opened up new attack line for Tories on LBC tonight- refused to rule out fuel duty hike. Labour raised 12 times before 2010

Wait, is this an attack on the Conservative fuel duty escalator?
    The fall in the price of oil is another suitcase of free money for labour. Low inflation means more scope for higher tax.
    Given that we have just discovered a 100 billion reservoir of oil under the south of England (158 million/sq mile) then long term I think the oil price is going to stay low. We can expect to extract about 33% of what the north sea has given over the last 40 years. Plus fracking.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32229203
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    4 out of 5 polls anyway
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Oh well, still a positive polling day for Lab.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,952
    Still seems to be moving in a Labourly direction. What was Harry Cole talking about?
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn · 2 mins2 minutes ago
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Tories retake a small lead as UKIP on the fall again. CON 35%, LAB 34%, UKIP 12%, LDEM 8%, GRN 4%

• Options
    Awful news for Labour in Scotland as SNP take biggest YouGov lead
    (compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Exclusive: Awful news for Labour in Scotland as SNP take biggest YouGov lead
    (compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

Con/lab crossover incoming!!!!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Green tide receding?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Still seems to be moving in a Labourly direction. What was Harry Cole talking about?

Apart from the double diamond standard YouGov ;)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

dr_spyn said:

Stephanie Flanders is on the front page of The Telegraph, surely not a kiss and tell story...

Milibands girlfriend 10 yrs ago it seems
    That was when she was an Economics journalist for the BBC. And he worked for the Treasury.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Tory SURGE!!!!

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/586272871233757184

YES! Ok Scottish Tory PPCs, go back to your constituencies, and prepare for government.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Yougov
  • Options

Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

Now that would be funny.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    ComRes and YouGov are just the tonic for our young and engagingly excitable GIN. But there's no hope for cassandra Bob.

But the Tories DO need to do better and soon.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    2-2 today then isn't it?

[Panelbase not real poll]
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

It's awful when the gloss comes off a party.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

Tory surge. Up 12.5% compared to paltry 6% rise by sleazy broken Nats.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Well the most pleasing aspect of all this is the Guardian looking like tits.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

I'm going to make ...
  • Options
    And there was me saying 46% must be a high water mark for SNP
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Thanks for the replies on EICIPM.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    So both polls tonight have Tory poll leads, Tory leadership speculation a little premature
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773

RobD said:

Todays Survation - EICIPM

We need a distinction between an EICIPM minority government, and EICIPM majority government. Any ideas?
    well as all the lefties told us the Tories actually lost the last election (and MaxPB on this thread), a minority government is EICLEIPM and a majority would be EICWEIPM.

NOE - minority government

Nicola owns Ed
  • Options

Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

tories take glasgow :)))
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    All square, as before, nothing has changed except holiday distortions.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

isam said:

I stand by my comment made last month that getting excited or downhearted over an opinion poll is the equivalent of cheering or booing a throw in at a football match

Moronic behaviour. I suppose it is at least a little more bearable on here when they favour labour

Be fair, 3 good polls in a row must be the equivalent of a dangerous free-kick. They rarely go in, but the anticipation is there.

Being 5% up in the exit poll is a penalty kick, presumably.
    Being 5% up in the exit poll is being 2 goals to the good going into injury time if you're Labour. Obviously, it's just level pegging for the Tories (and FIFA 2014 for the Lib Dems).
  • Options
    @afneil: I suspect the Guardian will be hurriedly changing its front page ...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929

Mr. Stodge, those two options are the same thing.

I think Miliband's ruthless but weak, not unlike Honorius.

I don't agree, Morris. I've been quite impressed with Miliband so far in the campaign. He made the same blunders that every LOTO makes in the early days - whether it's huskies at the Pole or baseball caps at Notting Hill or eating a bacon sandwich in a funny way,

Backed into a corner by years of vitriol from the anti-labour media, he's come out swinging and probably surprised even himself but to get where he's got (and the same was true of Cameron) requires tremendous strength and self-belief.

Is he "Prime Ministerial" ? Was Thatcher or Blair or Cameron ? In short, you never know until they are in the job and doing it. To me, Miliband has elements of Wilson just as Cameron has elements of Heath and this whole election has a 1974-feel to it with plenty of insurgent parties with stronger personalities to get in the way.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 16s17 seconds ago
    I suspect the Guardian will be hurriedly changing its front page ...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Posted just b4 YG National and YG Scotland. :)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015

Pulpstar said:

He's not.
    @Pulpstar

I'm neither embargoed or unembargoed.

I'm frustratingly embargoless, like all of us PB plebs.

:)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    LOL - how hilarious it all is.

OK, still overall a good polling day for Lab.

Three very good polls for Lab this afternoon, three pretty much OK ones indicating no change tonight. Plus a disastrous Scotland for Lab.
  • Options

Well the most pleasing aspect of all this is the Guardian looking like tits.

Corrections and clarifications department?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,932
    SUNIL what do todays 5 Polls do to your ELBOW
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

Woopphs.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Clearly not a good day's polling for the Conservatives. But, better than it seemed at one stage.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

Tory surge. Up 12.5% compared to paltry 6% rise by sleazy broken Nats.
    Get it sorted Nicola.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    Not convinced that Tories should be happy with tonight's polls. They need to make serious changes to their campaign or Labour are going to win on 35% of the vote.
  • Options

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn · 2 mins2 minutes ago
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Tories retake a small lead as UKIP on the fall again. CON 35%, LAB 34%, UKIP 12%, LDEM 8%, GRN 4%

The Guardian headline really does smack of 'We're alllllriiight'

Very premature. Worth buying a copy tomorrow in case the Labour leads earlier turn out to be Easter bunnies.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Dair said:

saddo said:

The gilts market is starting to stutter.

If Labour get in any position of power, interest rates will go up.

The general population will not only face higher taxes from Labour, but also see their mortgages significantly cost more.

Are they really that stupid?

But increased interest GOOD NEWS for savers who have been stuffed rotten over past few years.

This is one of the most bizarre media claims that exists.

Long term savers do not invest in cash, the interest rate is (virtually) irrelevant to them. Short term and cash savers do not really care whether their £10k makes an extra £10 over a couple of years or not. It;s meaningless to the average person.

Even assuming that most people are "savers". The vast majority of working age people aren't even saving for pensions, let alone cash savings accounts. That died when middle incomes died during the mid 90s.
    What in the name of God are you wibbling about? What do long-term savers invest in if not in cash and interest-bearing bonds?
  • Options
    Whilst no poll should be ignored and weight given to them all I suspect most people would put more faith in YouGov and ComRes than TNS, Panelbase and Survation.
  • Options

Sam Coates Times @SamCoatesTimes
    Follow
    YouGov / Times: 44% of Labour voters said Murphy was the winner, while 88 % of SNP voters judged Sturgeon best

What did the tory voter say ;-)
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

He's not.
    @Pulpstar

I'm neither embargoed or unembargoed.

I'm frustratingly embargoless, like all of us PB plebs.

:)
    I shall share embargoed polling via the medium of song lyrics.

80s pop music reference = Tory lead

90s pop music reference = Lab lead
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

Awful news for Labour in Scotland is not an exclusive!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2015
    Time to hide Murphy and push Ed in Scotland?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Not convinced that Tories should be happy with tonight's polls. They need to make serious changes to their campaign or Labour are going to win on 35% of the vote.

What campaign.....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    Scott_P said:

Not really, they want to paint their false narrative of Labour doing well.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

What campaign.....
    Yeah, it doesn't seem as though it has really started yet (from the blue side).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If Labour are only polling mid 30s on the back of 18 year olds clicking 'Labour' in their bedroom on the internet, they really are in trouble.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Some better polls, good to see Lab are not pulling out of sight and so keeping the contest alive, but get a move on Tories - it will be much more exciting if it looks like being Tories most votes/not most seats.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nah. What's there is accurate in as far as it goes. Only the anoraks can be bothered to go through the detail of five polls.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    Excellent! A couple of extra seats for the Lab-SNP Jock-Bloc.
  • Options
    Ogh tweeting malfunction ongoing
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited April 2015
    Dair said:

saddo said:

The gilts market is starting to stutter.

If Labour get in any position of power, interest rates will go up.

The general population will not only face higher taxes from Labour, but also see their mortgages significantly cost more.

Are they really that stupid?

But increased interest GOOD NEWS for savers who have been stuffed rotten over past few years.

This is one of the most bizarre media claims that exists.

Long term savers do not invest in cash, the interest rate is (virtually) irrelevant to them. Short term and cash savers do not really care whether their £10k makes an extra £10 over a couple of years or not. It;s meaningless to the average person.

Even assuming that most people are "savers". The vast majority of working age people aren't even saving for pensions, let alone cash savings accounts. That died when middle incomes died during the mid 90s.
    During the late 90's. Brown's first budget really. But we won't get you to admit that will we?
    Meantime we will all see where Mr Smithson puts his benefit before the country's
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Tory voters on holiday over easter...see what happens next week
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    edited April 2015
    dr_spyn said:

Green tide receding?

The lack of winnable seats for them and UKIP will, I think, see a fair chunk of their voters going for a party that is actually relevant in the seat of that voter.
    I would guess that come election day they will attract less than 15% of the total vote combined.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929
    Well, some fairly desperate cheer leading from the Conservative faithful tonight. Com Res isn't brilliant - fourth poll of the today with a fall in Conservative vote share.

From a personal perspective, nice to see the LDs recording their highest poll figure for a long time. YouGov moves around its usual axis so nothing too dramatic there.

I suppose a declining 34% is better than a declining 31% but all in all tonight's polls will please Labour more but there's a very long way to go and if you think a week is a long time in politics, a month is an eternity.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341

All square, as before, nothing has changed except holiday distortions.

Yes. I thought we might be witnessing a mini Edasm, but Labour are probably just benefiting from the absence of the fortnight-off-over-Easter brigade. Signs of Labour 'momentum' were almost certainly illusory.
  • Options
    felix said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

Way beyond MoE shift. Percentage wise, Ruth won the debates, Nicola a strong second (kinda what people thought) and #creepyjim was just... creepy and turned people off.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Some better polls, good to see Lab are not pulling out of sight and so keeping the contest alive, but get a move on Tories - it will be much more exciting if it looks like being Tories most votes/not most seats.

That's the spirit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

I'm going to make ...
    Weren't some people closing their Scotland positions last night?
  • Options
    I've managed to write a thread which utilising the opening lyrics of Rick Astley's masterpiece.
  • Options
    @MattChorley: The Prime Minister explains to the Guardian splash sub that there are a couple of other polls http://t.co/cidSRVJmPa
  • Options

Speaking from a political betting point of view.

An Ed Miliband government dependent on every vote on the Nats, whilst the Tories and Lib Dems have leadership elections would be the best thing ever.

The FTPA buggered up the fun/betting on when the year of the next election betting.

The SNP won't bring Labour down before 2016 because of the off-chance that they might accidently put the Tories one way or another.

Boris will win a post-election leadership contest at a canter. Farron for the Lib Dems. Lots of fireworks but no real drama.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MattChorley: The Prime Minister explains to the Guardian splash sub that there are a couple of other polls http://t.co/cidSRVJmPa

Overused, but someone needs to make a mockup with the Hitler bunker scene!
  • Options

Ogh tweeting malfunction ongoing

Yes - in one tweet he reckons all 4 national polls moving towards Labour. Suddenly YG gets ignored. You couldn't make it up. :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Scott_P said:

Serious LOL.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for the Beeboids tomorrow morning. They are going to be terribly confused when somebody tells them that despite what it said on the front of their copy of the Guardian, it isn't quite as clear cut as that...BUT BUT BUT the Guardian says..
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Nah. What's there is accurate in as far as it goes. Only the anoraks can be bothered to go through the detail of five polls.
    Except James Langdale just made them look stupid live on BBC1 by saying "another batch of polls literally in the last few minutes showing the tories ahead".

Ooops.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

I'm going to make ...
    Hope you had the tissues handy...
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    A relief to see some good news for Tories but they need to change the campaign. No more stupid Laurel'n'Hardy stuff and more (if not all) economy, economy, economy.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Didn't you read downthread? They're not coming back.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,952
    On the whole a good day's polling for Labour. Much more worrying for the Tories is the marked improvement in Ed Miliband. He looks and sounds like a completely different person.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    I assume the 1% for Rennie is a rounding error?
  • Options
    new thread
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Dair said:

felix said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

Way beyond MoE shift. Percentage wise, Ruth won the debates, Nicola a strong second (kinda what people thought) and #creepyjim was just... creepy and turned people off.
    Tories to become second party in Scotland in terms of seats? Suspect a bit of schadenfreude from Tory PBers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

I'm going to make ...
    I can't believe I laid off Coatbridge last weekend !
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Didn't you read downthread? They're not coming back.

Aint you heard we can still vote from our foreign boltholes :)
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    I suspect the polls have turned.You don`t get 3 different polls showing big movements away from one party and towards another party simultaneously unless movement is more than MOE.

Ofcourse the Tories need to maintain they are still in contention as otherwise their MP`s will turn on their leader before the election.

Cameron is headed towards Michael Howard territory or even worse.
  • Options
    stodge said:

there's a very long way to go and if you think a week is a long time in politics, a month is an eternity.

I think it's always worth looking back to think about events which at the time got blown up as vital but in retrospect everyone has just forgotten about and actually had zero effect.

eg Remember all the excitement about Cameron saying he wouldn't go for a 3rd term? Two weeks on everyone has completely forgotten about it and I can't imagine it moved a single vote.

The same is true of stuff going on now. Everyone gets excited about every twist and turn. But voters vote based on their general impressions and overall feelings - none of the detail makes any difference.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

(compared to last week)
    SNP 49 +3
    Lab 25 -4
    Con 18 +2
    LD 4 +1

I'm going to make ...
    I can't believe I laid off Coatbridge last weekend !
    Oh ye of little faith.
This discussion has been closed.