Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB moves to 4% lead with Survation and Ed now ahead of Dav

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    GIN1138 said:

Moses_ said:

Look

We are going to get an Ed clusterfuck government

Anyone with any shrewd intellect will have already and certainly now be calculating how to steer clear of the final Labour catastrophe.

To any lefties I worked fecking hard for my skills and my money, my business and those I do employ.

I am not ever again going to let Labour use that money in a public urinal.

Our business won't survive another Labour financial disaster that's for sure...

Our business was launched under Labour and thrived under Labour. Not that Labour had anything much to do with it. We've also done well under the Tories, I hasten to add.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

I wish the markets hadn't closed and I could cash out my equities

I seriously think there's gonna be a very red ed day on the markets tomorow

At least my laying Con position (-3.2k con, +5.6k lab) compensates a bit.

I will have serious contempt for the general public if this comes about

igindex has the ftse up 15 points, so I would be inclined not to panic yet.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Moses_ said:

Look

Anyone with any shrewd intellect will have already and certainly now be calculating how to steer clear of the final Labour catastrophe.

To any lefties I worked fecking hard for my skills and my money, my business and those I do employ.

Presumably the people you employ are saying they prefer a Labour government that they think will look after them rather than a Conservative government who they think only care about rich people like you .
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    GIN1138 said:

Moses_ said:

Look

Sad and I understand

Make plans and quickly
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Wait for the phone polls next week
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Plato said:

Well quite. Over-reacting to polls in a serious way makes me wonder about the sanity of some posters.

We can have fun or exploit headless chicken reactions by others - but I won't be knee-jerking based on these.

chestnut said:

UKIP on 18.....in London.......SNP on 56

Looking forward to when the serious pollsters start.

Dear Ms Plato, you are clearly not in tune with the modern zeitgeist. The Internet is nothing without over-emoting and hyperbole.

Will you not join me in chanting "Ed Milliband Will Be Prime Minister. May the good Lord have mercy on our souls"?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Millsy said:

Although tonight's YouGov may steady nerves....or not!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

GIN1138 said:

Moses_ said:

Look

Our business was launched under Labour and thrived under Labour. Not that Labour had anything much to do with it. We've also done well under the Tories, I hasten to add.

Not the kind of Labour that Miliband has in mind.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624
    edited April 2015
    murali_s said:

How do this week's polls fit in with this graph?

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/585149148980187136

It's time for a part-ELBOW methinks...
    Still awaiting Panelbase tables, but inc. Survation, Lab lead by 2.1%.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Some of the nonsense the right-wing nut-jobs are coming out with this afternoon is pure comedy gold.

It's now the people's fault...

Yeah right

LOL.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Miss Plato, I quite agree.
  • Options
    nu123nu123 Posts: 25
    "labour and respect fight where I live." So u live in Bradford West then lol. Rand Paul is a good candidate for the Republicans if they have one ounce of sanity (big if) they'll select him. Would be funny if Hilary was selected for Dem nomination and was beaten by Paul lol.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    murali_s said:

Some of the nonsense the right-wing nut-jobs are coming out with this afternoon is pure comedy gold.

Yeah right

LOL.

Last time a good poll for Labour came out, this classic was delivered by one of them

"I don't believe any of this, it just doesn't make any sense. "
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    I haven't been around today. Have the nats here apologised for perpetuating the lies and bullying about that girl who asked the question in the scottish debate?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    There were, in fieldwork chronology, 8 Lab poll leads in a row in February. We have 6 in a row as of today.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited April 2015
    t's now the people's fault...

It is never the people's fault.

It is the tories' fault.

Ed is doing SOMETHING, and people are noticing this.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    murali_s said:

Yeah right

LOL.

To be fair, a democratically elected government is always the people's fault.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    JohnO said:

Millsy said:

Although tonight's YouGov may steady nerves....or not!
    So john,you getting worried ;-)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Com Res out tonight too.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

murali_s said:

Yeah right

LOL.

Last time a good poll for Labour came out, this classic was delivered by one of them

Sadly we'll probably see more Labour government and more disaster before another Thatcher comes along and turns things around again.

Too many people do not understand the danger, and do not realise how the last Labour gov had a golden legacy to rely on. We won't have that this time.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Reminds me of the anecdote about upper class lady who said after Labour won in 1945, "But the public won't stand for it".
    isam said:

murali_s said:

Yeah right

LOL.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I haven't forgotten their epic leading questions and moniker of ComedyRes.

I'm waiting for phone polls.
    TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

• Options
    @jameschappers: Some interesting moves in our @ComResPolls latest telephone survey, out at 10pm
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers · 5m 5 minutes ago
    Some interesting moves in our @ComResPolls latest telephone survey, out at 10pm

Why are there so many polls today?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

@jameschappers: Some interesting moves in our @ComResPolls latest telephone survey, out at 10pm

Streak of Lab leads about to be broken, then.
  • Options
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

Tonight's ComRes is a phone poll.
  • Options
    Survation is another poll where a significant chunk of Labour's vote comes from people who didn't vote in 2010 and yet they barely get weighted down at all. Time will tell if they actually stick with the party
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ''Tonight's ComRes is a phone poll.''

Already being trailed as having some 'interesting moves'

Very black Thursday for the tories in the offing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    edited April 2015
    So, my notoriously unreliable gut is wondering if we're finally seeing the movement that has long been promised (only in the reverse direction), and whether the signs are the Tories are finally waking up to the fact they should be panicking, as even if Lab cannot replicate these 'nearing a majority' numbers (and definitely a majority numbers if not for Scotland) it would appear at best the Tories are level pegging, and that's as good as they have been able to manage.

IDK, it just feels like more of them are realising it's time to panic. Going after Ed M for his taking on his brother, confusion over whether to focus on him being a fool or a ruthless danger, and bewilderment at the polls not moving decisively in the Tories' favour may be turning to anger, it just feels like a sense of desperation is creeping in.

This isn't over reacting to one or two polls. No matter how close the Tories have managed to get, even eking out minor leads, they appear unable to pull away and the things meant to help them do so appear to be doing the opposite, and the longer that goes on the less hopeless the Labour narrative becomes and the less likely some of them might stay home or vote for someone else, as the more it appears viable that Ed will be PM, the less pessimistic and so firmer the Lab vote will be.

The Tories have had little hope for a while, but they had hope. Much more of this - without a significant and sizable reversal of fortunes in their favour - and that will change to zero hope.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Moses_ said:

Look

Sad and I understand

Make plans and quickly
    My word! You sound like Glenn Beck telling people to buy farmland and leave the cities after Obama won in 2012!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Depressing polls for PB Tories. Any news on the Scottish YouGov poll?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Danny565 said:

Lib Dem Surge
  • Options
    RobD said:

We need you to jump on a plane.

Scot YouGov out at 10pm
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    kle4 said:

So, my notoriously unreliable gut is wondering if we're finally seeing the movement that has long been promised (only in the reverse direction), and whether the signs are the Tories are finally waking up to the fact they should be panicking, as even if Lab cannot replicate these 'nearing a majority' numbers (and definitely a majority numbers if not for Scotland) it would appear at best the Tories are level pegging, and that's as good as they have been able to manage.

IDK, it just feels like more of them are realising it's time to panic. Going after Ed M for his taking on his brother, confusion over whether to focus on him being a fool or a ruthless danger, and bewilderment at the polls not moving decisively in the Tories' favour may be turning to anger.

This isn't over reacting to one or two polls. No matter how close the Tories have managed to get, even eking out minor leads, they appear unable to pull away and the things meant to help them do so appear to be doing the opposite, and the longer that goes on the less hopeless the Labour narrative becomes and the less likely some of them might stay home or vote for someone else, as the more it appears viable that Ed will be PM, the less pessimistic and so firmer the Lab vote will be.

The Tories have had little hope for a while, but they had hope. Much more of this - without a significant and sizable reversal of fortunes in their favour - and that will change to zero hope.

Plus if a labour majority genuinely looks on the cards on polling day, all the effort the blues have spent on "Vote Ed, get Nicola" is totally wasted.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    taffys said:

''Tonight's ComRes is a phone poll.''

Already being trailed as having some 'interesting moves'

Very black Thursday for the tories in the offing.

Last Com Res was 4pt Con lead...
  • Options
    Last Com Res was 4pt Con lead...

Gulp....
  • Options

RobD said:

We need you to jump on a plane.

Scot YouGov out at 10pm
    Don't worry, I'll be getting on at least 10 between now and polling day.. :D
  • Options

I wish the markets hadn't closed and I could cash out my equities

I seriously think there's gonna be a very red ed day on the markets tomorow

At least my laying Con position (-3.2k con, +5.6k lab) compensates a bit.

I will have serious contempt for the general public if this comes about

Nice show of contempt for your fellow countrymen there. Could attitudes like that be part of the problem perhaps?

On the polls I still think the Conservatives, with their greater certainty to vote, will emerge with most seats.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2015
    You could say a move from a 4% Con lead to all square wouldn't be 'interesting'.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953

Sounds like bad news for Con...

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2015
    EdM managed to find a Doncaster North address to put on the SoPN....
    Tristam also shows a Stoke Central address as home address
    Dromey lists a Birmingham address unlike last time when he used the Southwark one
  • Options
    No guarantee Ed will be savaged in the opposition debate either, he could look like the reasonable statesmanlike option given how well prepared and controlled he has been. I'd put the chances of Labour polling increasing to be about 50/50 with it decreasing.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

what was the last comres?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    If anyone ever has to go to Zurich, can I sincerely recommend not staying at the Schweizerhof Hotel.

Upon check in, I was told I had been upgraded. I was then led to a tiny, almost windowless, room with a single bed in it. What have I been upgraded from, I wonder?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

36 Con, 32 Lab, 9 LD, 12 UKIP, 5 GRN
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If anyone ever has to go to Zurich, can I sincerely recommend not staying at the Schweizerhof Hotel.

Upon check in, I was told I had been upgraded. I was then led to a tiny, almost windowless, room with a single bed in it. What have I been upgraded from, I wonder?

What's worse, is this is by no means a cheap hotel.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040

I've just taken £25 at 32 on Betfair LAB majority.

Overall Majority
    Lab 1485.41
    NOM 58.27
    Con 393.35

With about £300 of stake within NOM at the moment.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

That was also a phone poll.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Survation have used 40:60 weighting ratio for ABC1:C2DE

Ipsos, ICM and YG all do 55:45 ratio of these social categories.

Subsets

ABs: Tories +5
    C1s: Tories + 11.4
    C2s: Lab + 5.6
    DEs: Lab + 20.4

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

Of course you know what I meant and are just being irritating...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What have I been upgraded from, I wonder?

You got a bed.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

How can you be "almost windowless". It's a binary question, not a relative one.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I stayed in the Kraft in Florence years ago. It was supposedly 4* and cost a bomb. My room smelled of formaldehyde. I was upgraded to a windowless room that looked fine until I realised the hot water was intermittent.

And then I got food poisoning. It tainted my view of Florence - a lot!
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

• Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

36 Con, 32 Lab, 9 LD, 12 UKIP, 5 GRN
    Unless the 'interesting' part of the poll is Con increasing its lead, I think the slight 'Tory advantage but basically tied' status quo narrative may need slight adjustment.
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    Had a nibble laying Con over 278.5 seats at 1.39. Still a bit more at that price. Seems good value I think?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited April 2015
    If ComRes had gone from Con +4 to say Lab +4 I would have thought that would be more than "interesting" - more like a major shock.

So maybe, just maybe, ComRes isn't too disastrous for Con - which I would define as no worse than Lab +1 (given today's other polls).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    rcs1000 said:

I stayed there when I interviewed for UBS earlier this year. It was absolutely awful. The room you didn't stay in doesn't have any natural lighting. I checked out and paid for my own room in the Movenpick hotel at Zurich Airport. I would highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

How can you be "almost windowless". It's a binary question, not a relative one.
    If the window meets the letter but not the spirit of the concept of a windowed room I guess, like 1ft square of glass at above head height on one wall or something. Sure it's there, but it hardly provides the sort of ambiance you'd expect.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Maybe ComRes has no real moves, which would be "interesting" in the light of today's other polls...
  • Options
    DomNishambles never happened

Remember when the BBC went full on when Oz went to a yacht

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk

Tedious of course. Still no mention and buried. However had this been a UKIp coalition or Tory guess what?.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040

Had a nibble laying Con over 278.5 seats at 1.39. Still a bit more at that price. Seems good value I think?

Sure does, gone 19.5/47.5 here.
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3032190/Forget-polls-follow-money-Punters-overwhelmingly-backing-Tories-win-100-think-Ukip-largest-party.html

For what its worth, there is a bit of an 'ignore the polls' narrative emerging in the tory press...
  • Options
    Horrible polls for the Blues. Topped up a bit of Lab Maj on Betfair and sold Con on SPIN.
  • Options
    Maybe ComRes has no real moves, which would be "interesting" in the light of today's other polls...

Quite
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Did you get a bath? Some singles only have showers.

On the plus side you get champagne for breakfast apparently, so hang in there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I stayed there when I interviewed for UBS earlier this year. It was absolutely awful. The room you didn't stay in doesn't have any natural lighting. I checked out and paid for my own room in the Movenpick hotel at Zurich Airport. I would highly recommend it.
    Today I woke up at 4:45am at the other end of Switzerland, so I could fly to Madrid for a day of meetings, and now I'm in Zurich.

If I wasn't completely knackered I would follow your advice.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Horrible polls for the Blues. Topped up a bit of Lab Maj on Betfair and sold Con on SPIN.

Fool .... money ....quickly parted

• Options
    taffys said:
    The last time I saw this was Balls vs some Tory, with the the Tory backers saying punters had a better read than the polls. I bet on Balls.

I think it is time to admit that Ed is going to PM and just try and profit from it. Lab Maj is still available to back at 25 on Betfair.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Danny565 said:

But was the tweet written before this afternoon's polls came out - or at least before the author had seen this afternoon's polls?
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

If you'd been given my room for CHF400/night, you'd be irritating too...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    This national polling just isn't tallying with the marginal polling. Or the Scotland polling. Or my straw polling.

Everything in my gut says '92 all over again.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Good cartoon from Marf just been posted in the header
  • Options
    Survation: YouGov

Con: 31 (34)
    Lab: 35 (35)

ABC1
    Con: 35 (38)
    Lab: 28 (33)
    LD: 13 (9)
    UK: 11 (9)

C2DE
    Con: 27 (30)
    Lab: 40 (37)
    LD: 6 (5)
    UK: 18 (16)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Today I woke up at 4:45am at the other end of Switzerland, so I could fly to Madrid for a day of meetings, and now I'm in Zurich.

If I wasn't completely knackered I would follow your advice.
    Sounds like a fun kind of day. If you're there over the weekend then it's probably worth it though.
  • Options
    taffys said:
    Dangerous. It can be true, but when you need to rely on it...
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Danny565 said:

But was the tweet written before this afternoon's polls came out - or at least before the author had seen this afternoon's polls?
    I just don't think it can be any better for the Blues than a tie. It would be so out of kilter with the rest of the polling.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

If you'd been given my room for CHF400/night, you'd be irritating too...
    I'd never pay for a room that expensive. Not even with OPM.
  • Options
    I wonder what JackkW' ARSE is going to predict
  • Options
    Nice cartoon, Marf!
  • Options
    taffys said:
    What a crap bar chart. 100+, 200+, 400+.. bloody hell.
  • Options
    If this polling continues how long will Lynton last?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Plato said:

TGOHF said:

Com Res out tonight too.

Don't know why, that made me laugh!
  • Options
    Plato said:

I stayed in the Kraft in Florence years ago. It was supposedly 4* and cost a bomb. My room smelled of formaldehyde. I was upgraded to a windowless room that looked fine until I realised the hot water was intermittent.

And then I got food poisoning. It tainted my view of Florence - a lot!

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I can recommend the Crowne Plaza in Amsterdam South (Zuid) if anyone's going that way. A few miles from the centre, but Metro can get you there in 15 minutes or so. And travel isn't too bad. Three days on the city's bus/tram/metro costs only 16 Euros.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    Well well well well.

I said I thought the tories blew it at the budget. It was a complete 'meh' but worse than that, it suggested the leaders didn't realise the country doesn't want another 5 years of uncaring top down austerity from people who don't know what scraping the barrel means.

Now having said all that I think we need to be might careful. Schools are still on holiday and I'm not gonna rush this one. We need to see what happens next week.
  • Options
    A fair point, to be sure. Although plenty of Tories, including those running the campaign strategy, seem to still believe the Cleggasm, temporary though it was, remains the largest single factor as to why they did not achieve a majority in 2010, so presumably if this is the new Cleggasm, those same Tories should remain despondent.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    edited April 2015

If this polling continues how long will Lynton last?

Surely until May 8th, at least publicly. If the Tories do begin to panic the last thing they need is top publicly declare it by firing their campaign chief. Keep him on payroll anyway and quietly ignore him would be the only option.

EDIT: I don't think the Tories will panic incidentally. even if this polling continues they have decided that the country is incapable of voting EdM to be PM, a theory which has the benefit of being impossible to test until polls close.

EDIT 2: By 'they' I mean the Tory strategists. Not every Tory in the country or on this site.
  • Options
    Whatever else there has been mahooooosive value on Labour. In from 44 to 25 this afternoon. Still way way too long.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

This national polling just isn't tallying with the marginal polling. Or the Scotland polling. Or my straw polling.

Survation's socio-economic weightings are transparently wrong.

It's still a Lab lead but more like a 31-33 or 32-33.
  • Options
    I also desperately wanna see a phone poll. Mike do you know which and when?
  • Options

suggested the leaders didn't realise the country doesn't want another 5 years of uncaring top down austerity from people who don't know what scraping the barrel means.

Well, the country may not want that, but Ed M or Cameron, we're still getting top down austerity either way, and personally I don't see that the 'caring' factor will matter that much (there's only a limited set of options for cutting after all, particularly when some budgets but not all are protected), but it would appear really do think that a Labour cutting axe is better than a Tory cutting axe.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Mortimer said:

Clutching-at-straw polling?
  • Options
    Tonight's ComRes is phone isn't it? This is critical.

Don't know. My heart says today's significant but my head says it's just not. Need to see next week.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    Squeaky bum time for Cameron.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Danny565 said:

If you are in the red team which I doubt, I would hate to have you anywhere near the dressing room,the players would go over the white line already defeated.

Southam at least has an excuse as a spurs supporter and a terrible tipster to boot.
    He gets very election wrong from the USA to the Scottish referendum.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

suggested the leaders didn't realise the country doesn't want another 5 years of uncaring top down austerity from people who don't know what scraping the barrel means.

Well, the country may not want that, but Ed M or Cameron, we're still getting top down austerity either way, and personally I don't see that the 'caring' factor will matter that much (there's only a limited set of options for cutting after all, particularly when some budgets but not all are protected), but it would appear really do think that a Labour cutting axe is better than a Tory cutting axe.
    Just run a deficit like every household in britain does apart from the top tories.
  • Options

murali_s said:

How do this week's polls fit in with this graph?

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/585149148980187136

It's time for a part-ELBOW methinks...
    Still awaiting Panelbase tables, but inc. Survation, Lab lead by 2.1%.
    Including Panelbase, Labour's lead in the part-ELBOW increases to 2.5%...

Lab 34.7
    Con 32.2
    UKIP 14.7
    LD 8.4
    Grn 4.6
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Whatever else there has been mahooooosive value on Labour. In from 44 to 25 this afternoon. Still way way too long.

I see WillHill are no longer offering 2.5 on EdMPM on 1 August. Congrats to everyone who enjoyed that over the past couple of days.
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    Should I lay Labour under 311.5 seats at 1.13? I'm contemplating it!
This discussion has been closed.