Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Details of all 14 seats from the first round of the Lord As

Comments

• Options
    So what does EdM do now ?

More heartwarming anecdotes about the 'ordinary folk' of Dartmouth Park perhaps ? Or maybe a haggis eating photostunt in Motherwell market ?

I'm looking forward to reading a Labour equivalent of the Matthew Parris 'The voters are out of touch not the politicians' article.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see the Ladbrokes constituency markets are down :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alistair said:

I see the Ladbrokes constituency markets are down :)

@LadPolitics: Revised general election constituency markets will be available from around 11am today #AshcroftlLeakage
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225
    Jonathan Would depend on SNP having balance of power and not getting their demands for more powers met, or maybe an EU out vote and Scotland in vote, (albeit a narrow majority of SNP voters would vote out)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2015
    Morning all.

Blimey, appalling numbers for SLabour - could Ed go down in Labour’s history book as the man who lost them Scotland?
  • Options

In hindsight, it was a brilliant strategy by the Dave to only win one seat in Scotland last time.

I still can't process these swings, they are up there with say Newbury 93.

Is a pity that Lord A didn't poll in Edinburgh or Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk (Con gain there)

It's almost like the SNP have a ... superiour... ground... game.

And without access to Conservative cash to buy in a ground game this time round Labour are in trouble. Blair McDougall was quoted as saying that Better Together was going to leave no legacy behind and he didn't care if it did or not. Yes Scotland has left behind a loosely affiliated network of groups from Radical Independence to Women For Independence who are all willing to vote SNP at Westminster and vote how they really feel at Holyrood.
  • Options
    I'm just doing a quick trawl to see how the Lord's results stand up to SMAPS - or possibly the other way round.
  • Options
    Last year there was a council election in Coatbridge where Labour got 90% of the votes. That is the scale of the turnaround. If the big parties fight the election in Scotland on a national basis then they will lose heavily in Scotland. If they fight it on the SNP record they have a chance. Nicola Sturgeon is in a honeymoon period but we have real problems. The NHS is a mess. Is that the SNP's fault or David Cameron's? Reality is that it is more SNP than Tories but that is not what the people believe. The more Labour attack Tories about the NHS the more votes they lose in Scotland. Interesting.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Cue five more years of panda jokes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    I think "epochal" is about right, when Labour would be doing better under the Tory leader than under their own. SLAB on the mortuary slab.

I don't see how Labour change this. Do they ignore Scotland - and effectively rule out becoming largest party in May? Or do they try and buy off the Scots with a good few extra shakes of the money tree? But if they do that, the SNP can retort - "if they'll offer that now, what else will they offer when they are desperate?" Plus it is a sure-fire way to piss of the English and Welsh voters - as all other parties will gleefully point out.

I would not want to be advising Labour right now for all the betting slips in antifrank's back pocket....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm really interested to see Dumfries and Galloway.

If the Tory vote holds up there around 30% and the Labour vote drops to below that, due to defectors to the SNP, then it could become a 3-way marginal that the Tories pick up through the middle.

And my 9-1 bet would come true.

The Tories are down in every seat quoted above - why would D&G be different?
    They are down from 19% to 11% in Gordon - some of us can remember when Gordon was the "safest Tory seat in Scotland". (notionally pre-1997)
    It's in the borders, Holyrood elections indicate the SNP should be less strong there.
    Yougov only has the Tories down by 1% in Scotland as a whole. It's logical their support would hold up best in the Borders. With luck, they could emerge with 2 or 3 seats.
    LOL

that would be a laugh, the Tories the second largest party in Scotland.
  • Options
    Well played Antifrank, just sorry my betting funds are depleted and I couldn't follow you in more strongly. James Kelly points out that the SNP numbers are substantially downweighted on 2010 GE recall, so there's a chance the SNP figures could be even higher.

Bad taste I know, but those pics of that Taiwanese plane this am seems a fitting metaphor for at least a couple of Scottish party sub branches.
  • Options
    My biggest regreat is only having a few hundred quid spare to bet with over the last few months. Having a baby is expensive.
  • Options
    Tories also need a narrative for Scotland which they don't yet have. Their leader up here is very capable but has been quiet recently. The big issues of Europe, English votes etc are all for the South but not up here. Cameron needs to talk to the Scots and tell us what his plan is. If he does not then the Tories will stay at home. I am not sure they will vote SNP as really they are just another hard core left wing Glasgow party now.
  • Options
    @FraserNelson: Ashcroft poll on Scotland a reminder why Gordon Brown decided so late in day to stand down. Suddenly he faced a real fight -so he bottled it
  • Options
    Scotland and alternatives to Ed.

Surely the intended narrative was that Alistair Darling returned triumphant from Better Together to usurp Ed's crown.
  • Options
    Mr. P, what's that a reference to? Brown's speech yesterday?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

My biggest regreat is only having a few hundred quid spare to bet with over the last few months. Having a baby is expensive.

Congratulations.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: Ashcroft poll on Scotland a reminder why Gordon Brown decided so late in day to stand down. Suddenly he faced a real fight -so he bottled it

That's a bit out of character for him.

The 7/2 available on the SNP for Kirkcaldy from Hills looks tasty. Had a little bite this morning.
  • Options
    Mr. Alistair, congratulations on your offspring (and on having enough cash that you 'only' have a few hundred quid to spare).
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning on the day any pretence Labour can win the GE died. What a wonderful sight the prospect of SLAB being put on the slab and butchered by the SNP. We Tories know what it is like to be wiped out in Scotland and now the Labour party can experience it. The SNP bubble will burst one day but hopefully Scottish Labour will be utterly busted first.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Ashcroft along the bottom, SMAPS along the side.

Smaps vs Ashcroft

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Smaps vs Ashcroft without outliers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So the two outliers that I removed from the second chart are Gordon (SMAPS predicts 37%, and Glasgow East where SMAPS predicts 57%). Otherwise the whole predict based on the Yes vote looks pretty solid.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,940
    edited February 2015
    TUD

"Well played Antifrank, just sorry my betting funds are depleted and I couldn't follow you in more strongly. James Kelly points out that the SNP numbers are substantially downweighted on 2010 GE recall, so there's a chance the SNP figures could be even higher."

Apart from me in my heyday and latterly Southam Observer James must be the worst predictor we've ever had on PB. Nonetheless a very good poster and him being almost certainly wrong doesn't lessen Labour's Scottish problems.

But having just returned from Aberdeen I have reason to think they wont do quite as badly as presently forcast. Or at least the results will be more patchy
  • Options
    Mike Smithson‏@MSmithsonPB·1 min1 minute ago
    Good (or less bad) news for LAB from Ashcroft is swing higher in seats polled than most other Scots polling. Could be better elsewhere

Always looking on the bright side....
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    A seismic change in British politics confirmed.

If Scottish Labour thinks even a small amount of this is going to be overturned before May they are deluding themselves.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Is this Ed's most important ever PMQs?

If he gets thrashed by Dave again, Labour MPs are going to be in a very grumpy, fractious mood, and the media narrative writes itself.

Any PB Tory who takes part in the Daily YouGov, vote Labour, #SaveEd

It's Wednesday; it's PMQs; so the pb Tories will declare unconditional victory for their man. Then I'll ask if this means CCHQ has ballsed up its debates strategy, and the pb Tories will explain that no, it is an act of mercy that Cameron does not want to take on Miliband.
    You should listen to the PB Tories, we've been right about Ed all along.

We said he was crap, look at the evidence, he's about to turn Scotland into a near Labour MP free zone.

PB Tories, always right, we always learn.
    Noted.
  • Options
    Stunning poll. On these figure this is Labour's Scottish version of the tory collapse of 1906.
  • Options

antifrank said:

malcolmg said:

This is Dockside Hooker when 10 Fleets are in port Territory.

Huzzah to Antifrank for his brilliant strategy, I'm so glad I followed him in.

"Only" a 15% swing in Gordon, compared to 25% ish elsewhere.

Yep, it does look as if Antifrank is about to enter the PB Pantheon. One of the great political betting tips of all time. It certainly compares with the Smithson Obama call. Press lurkers may want to contact him. There is surely a story for them here.

I have to say a blind man could have spotted it up here at least. It has been obvious from the referendum that Labour and Lib Dems were going to get a kicking. Duplitious lying toerags , people are less than happy with the VOW and Home Rule and been getting unhappier by the day.

But Antifrank put his money where his mouth was. That takes cojones. If it was so obvious, he would not now be about to make an absolute killing.

I think it was obvious. That's why I bored people senseless with it for months.

The only thing I did that was a bit clever was to get on the SNP at very long odds in constituencies before the referendum result, and I got a great result from that for the wrong reason. Not that I'm complaining.

From late October onwards the odds were consistently behind the polling curve, as punters collectively betrayed a lack of imagination about what the national polling figures would look like in individual constituencies. This was true as late as last night. That sluggishness was the most baffling trend in political betting that I can recall in years.
    Antifrank, bravo all the same and for the massive hat tip. Tell me, if you would, about the LibDems. What's your punting head telling you?
    I put this up yesterday:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/missing-presumed-red-2010-lib-dems.html

In short, I have no particular reason to disbelieve the general picture that Lord Ashcroft's constituency polls are showing us in Lib Dem marginals, and I think the Lib Dems will get something around 30 seats.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited February 2015
    Link to Lord A's Scotland data - enjoy.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/scottish-battleground/
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2015
    Then Willie Bain will rebuild SLAB?

Some leads are so big. Will SLAB need to take some decisions and abandon some MPs to their destiny to specifically target seats where they are not so behind?

I would be interested in seeing polls for some Edinburgh seats too. I guess we may get another Scottish battleground in the coming future though...
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, I suspect you're right about the Lib Dems, but a counter-argument would be that in the European elections they did almost as badly as was technically possible (retaining just 1 seat in the European Parliament).

A General Election is a different kettle of fish, admittedly.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Tories also need a narrative for Scotland which they don't yet have. Their leader up here is very capable but has been quiet recently. The big issues of Europe, English votes etc are all for the South but not up here. Cameron needs to talk to the Scots and tell us what his plan is. If he does not then the Tories will stay at home. I am not sure they will vote SNP as really they are just another hard core left wing Glasgow party now.

It doesn't matter what the Tories do, until they ditch the Conservative and Unionist brand they will be stuck eternally on 15% which they have been in almost all elections for 25 years. Only pressing Murdo Fraser's nuclear button will ever change this.

Davidson is widely respected and does a good job but arguably so was Goldie and she had a higher Approval rating. But no matter who the leader, the Tory vote share doesn't change.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900

Millsy said:

EdM is very, very lucky that in England UKIP is clearly a right-wing party. If it had evolved as a party of the centre-left it might well have spelled the complete end of Labour, enjoying swings in Labour heartlands down south comparable to those the SNP is now getting in Scotland.

Not really, they're evolving into a statist right-wing party, which many working class people want

It's what that bloc of the working class that has always voted Tory might want, but it's not going to win over many Labour voters. The SNP has got tens of thousands of straight switchers. UKIP won't get close to that because Labour voters know that UKIP's leadership is thoroughly Thatcherite.

We will see. If Ukip play their cards right they could have a decent chance at Labour seats at the 2020 election. But the party's leadership is currently in a 3-way tug-of-war between Faragists, O'Flynnists and Carswellites
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,024

Where am I?

Welcome!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2015
    Much as I cannot stand Ed Miliband, and as much as I want Labour to lose heavily, it is worth noting that its an extremely bad thing for democracy for the SNP to hold nearly all the seats in Scotland.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Labour must be absolutely bricking themselves

I guess this means they will try to give away more of our money to bribe the voters to come back to them.

If this holds up Ed has a huge battle to become next PM.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    The worrying thing for Labour is that it's possible Ukip have peaked in terms of their damage to the Tories (they may take one more seat at the general election) but Labour are going to be hit by the SNP particularly but possibly in due course also the Greens, Plaid, Respect and maybe Ukip
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    The big question is whether England should have to go with unstable governance of education and health should there be a majority in England but not one for the whole UK. Or worse - governance by the SNP over our education and health.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,024

Is this Ed's most important ever PMQs?

If he gets thrashed by Dave again, Labour MPs are going to be in a very grumpy, fractious mood, and the media narrative writes itself.

Any PB Tory who takes part in the Daily YouGov, vote Labour, #SaveEd

It's Wednesday; it's PMQs; so the pb Tories will declare unconditional victory for their man. Then I'll ask if this means CCHQ has ballsed up its debates strategy, and the pb Tories will explain that no, it is an act of mercy that Cameron does not want to take on Miliband.
    You should listen to the PB Tories, we've been right about Ed all along.

We said he was crap, look at the evidence, he's about to turn Scotland into a near Labour MP free zone.

PB Tories, always right, we always learn.
    Titter!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to Dan Hodges' message of hope this afternoon following these numbers.
  • Options

Much as I cannot stand Ed Miliband, and as much as I want Labour to lose heavily, it is worth noting that its an extremely bad thing for democracy for the SNP to hold nearly all the seats in Scotland.

You seem to be confusing "the UK Constitutional settlement" for "democracy".
  • Options
    PS. Nothing quite as hilarious as watching PB Tories rejoicing at an SNP success.

I expect at any minute to see Audreyanne perform her pom pom routine in a kilt
  • Options
    The next thread should be dedicated to David Cameron's strategic brilliance.

He saved the Union and managed to destroy Scottish Labour in one move.

I detect the masterful strategy of George Osborne behind this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

Nonsense

Huge swings like this are the only way FPTP can work, your vote never ever ever mattered before in Coatsbridge.

It does now.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited February 2015
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

malcolmg said:

Antifrank, bravo all the same and for the massive hat tip. Tell me, if you would, about the LibDems. What's your punting head telling you?
    I put this up yesterday:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/missing-presumed-red-2010-lib-dems.html

In short, I have no particular reason to disbelieve the general picture that Lord Ashcroft's constituency polls are showing us in Lib Dem marginals, and I think the Lib Dems will get something around 30 seats.
    Ah, thanks for that.

Interesting use of present tense given the fieldwork was mostly last summer, I believe? Since then we've seen UKIP drop, Greens rise significantly, Labour continue to slip slightly and the Conservatives firm up a wee dram.

I'd have thought all four of those are important re. LibDem seats?

A final factor is that, notwithstanding Mike's beloved, and rather sweet, belief that people vote solely for their local MP I would be very concerned about betting against national polls. Scotland is indicative because LA's polling constituency is little different from the latest YouGov Scottish poll.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2015
    Not sure why Ed is so unpopular in Scotland, or maybe it would be the same whoever was leader, unless they were Scottish.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

malcolmg said:

Yep, it does look as if Antifrank is about to enter the PB Pantheon. One of the great political betting tips of all time. It certainly compares with the Smithson Obama call. Press lurkers may want to contact him. There is surely a story for them here.

I have to say a blind man could have spotted it up here at least. It has been obvious from the referendum that Labour and Lib Dems were going to get a kicking. Duplitious lying toerags , people are less than happy with the VOW and Home Rule and been getting unhappier by the day.

But Antifrank put his money where his mouth was. That takes cojones. If it was so obvious, he would not now be about to make an absolute killing.

The only thing I did that was a bit clever was to get on the SNP at very long odds in constituencies before the referendum result, and I got a great result from that for the wrong reason. Not that I'm complaining.

From late October onwards the odds were consistently behind the polling curve, as punters collectively betrayed a lack of imagination about what the national polling figures would look like in individual constituencies. This was true as late as last night. That sluggishness was the most baffling trend in political betting that I can recall in years.
    I put this up yesterday:

This poll is actually good for the Lib Dems, shows them holding up better than expected in Gordon (imo SNP shouldn't be 1-7 there), and though they'll suffer alot in Scotland it basically shows that the big picture is that they will have the most extraordinary lumpiness in their vote.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

Mike Smithson‏@MSmithsonPB·1 min1

Always looking on the bright side....

Providing it's yellow-red.
  • Options
    Who was the punter that got on 1-15 Scottish Labour seats at something like 15-1 and higher btw ?!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Pulpstar said:

Nonsense

Huge swings like this are the only way FPTP can work, your vote never ever ever mattered before in Coatsbridge.

It does now.
    Nonsense. Suppose the other parties bar the SNP only had one seat each. Do you think that would be good for democracy?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

malcolmg said:

I put this up yesterday:

Ah, thanks for that.

Interesting use of present tense given the fieldwork was mostly last summer, I believe? Since then we've seen UKIP drop, Greens rise significantly, Labour continue to slip slightly and the Conservatives firm up a wee dram.

I'd have thought all four of those are important re. LibDem seats?

A final factor is that, notwithstanding Mike's beloved, and rather sweet, belief that people vote solely for their local MP I would be very concerned about betting against national polls. Scotland is indicative because LA's polling constituency is little different from the latest YouGov Scottish poll.
    It is very well-established that Lib Dem incumbents can have huge personal votes. Why should this election be very different? Unlike Scotland, there is no huge swing underway, in favour of one party.

As to UKIP, in areas of Lib Dem strength, they take support almost equally from Conservatives and Lib Dems. Any slight fall in UKIP support will therefore be neutral as between the two.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dair said:

It doesn't matter what the Tories do, until they ditch the Conservative and Unionist brand they will be stuck eternally on 15% which they have been in almost all elections for 25 years. Only pressing Murdo Fraser's nuclear button will ever change this.

Davidson is widely respected and does a good job but arguably so was Goldie and she had a higher Approval rating. But no matter who the leader, the Tory vote share doesn't change.
    I think Hamiltonace is right though. There needs to be more to Toryism in Scotland than Unionism. It will be hard to run on low taxes if these are devolved (though a very viable manifesto for 2011 Holyrood). Scots Tories need to have a campaign on UK rather than devolved issues, so Foreign policy inc Europe, and maintaining and improving the Scottish financial sector, etc.

Mind you campaigning on devolved isssues may work too, to a degree, just as campaining on National issues does well at locals and Euros.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Not sure why Ed is so unpopular in Scotland, or maybe it would be the same whoever was leader, unless they were Scottish.

Anyone would be screwed. The referendum tactic of demonizing Yes voters was a poor move given that 40percent of their vote was Yes voters.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Squeaky bum time for lefties....
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    AndyJS said:

I don't think it is only about Ed, I also think that ... given there is only a 15.5% swing to Salmond - Sturgeon > Salmond too

I think Sturgeon is more popular than Salmond, and Gordon not only had a big personal vote in hie seat - he sort of had it for the whole of Scotland.
  • Options

The next thread should be dedicated to David Cameron's strategic brilliance.

He saved the Union and managed to destroy Scottish Labour in one move.

I detect the masterful strategy of George Osborne behind this.

Saving the Union via making Scotland a fiefdom of the SNP and forcing the rest of the UK to have to deal with minority governments because of it? Oh, and at the cost of maintaining permanently higher spending levels for Scotland than for England?
  • Options
    Andy

"Not sure why Ed is so unpopular in Scotland, or maybe it would be the same whoever was leader, unless they were Scottish."

He doesn't have red hair a ruddy complexion and a face ravaged by midge bites

(but the make up department are working on it)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    I see the Scots have finally woken up to the fact, that for generations, Labour have done sweet f' all to improve things north of the border. They deserve a good kicking.
  • Options
    F1: Marussia could leave administration on 19 February. Quite a surprise, frankly.
  • Options

Dair said:

I think Hamiltonace is right though. There needs to be more to Toryism in Scotland than Unionism. It will be hard to run on low taxes if these are devolved (though a very viable manifesto for 2011 Holyrood). Scots Tories need to have a campaign on UK rather than devolved issues, so Foreign policy inc Europe, and maintaining and improving the Scottish financial sector, etc.

Mind you campaigning on devolved isssues may work too, to a degree, just as campaining on National issues does well at locals and Euros.
    If the Tories campaigned on their current Economic platform, with a more socially conscious Social platform and on a fully Federal UK under the banner of the old Progressive Party, they would be able to challenge the SNP.

Until then, they won't move at all.
  • Options
    Roger said:

PS. Nothing quite as hilarious as watching PB Tories rejoicing at an SNP success.

I expect at any minute to see Audreyanne perform her pom pom routine in a kilt

Quite a few of us are balls deep in Scotland related bets.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think it is only about Ed, I also think that ... given there is only a 15.5% swing to Salmond - Sturgeon > Salmond too

I think Sturgeon is more popular than Salmond, and Gordon not only had a big personal vote in hie seat - he sort of had it for the whole of Scotland.
    Generally speaking, as far back as I can remember, Sturgeon has had a better overall Approval but that came from a much lower Negative rating. Salmond has generally led in Positive rating but Sturgeon leading overall.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Who was the punter that got on 1-15 Scottish Labour seats at something like 15-1 and higher btw ?!

Pulpstar said:

Calum I think, he posted his book enough times so we should remember. I bet 1 British pound on 0-5 at forty to one and hedged out up to 20 seats so I'm 10-1 on 0-5 for four pounds.

Big spender I am.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I see the Scots have finally woken up to the fact, that for generations, Labour have done sweet f' all to improve things north of the border. They deserve a good kicking.

The question is why are the English north of the Trent impervious to Ed's serious deficiencies ? What insight have the Scots gained of late that our Northern brethren lack ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

malcolmg said:

I put this up yesterday:

This poll is actually good for the Lib Dems, shows them holding up better than expected in Gordon (imo SNP shouldn't be 1-7 there), and though they'll suffer alot in Scotland it basically shows that the big picture is that they will have the most extraordinary lumpiness in their vote.
    It does show Lib Dem support to be highly concentrated, which is what they want. The problem is their overall support is so low, that even this degree of concentration can only save 3-4 seats.
  • Options
    Labour must be hoping most of the seats in Edinburgh, Fife and Ayrshire will be sticking with them in defiance of the swing in the Glasgow area.
  • Options
    Do we have any Scottish Labour posters here btw - one thing that strikes m about the nats here is their... optimism.

Scottish Labour in my opinion is and was the most negative outfit in the whole of British politics. The SNP probably the most positive.

I expect Scottish Labour to start asking whether the SNP will do a deal with the Conservatives. I'd have thought the smartest reply from Sturgeon would be to rule out even abstaining on a Conservative confidence motion.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Pulpstar said:

Nonsense

It does now.
    Nonsense. Suppose the other parties bar the SNP only had one seat each. Do you think that would be good for democracy?
    That can only happen if that's what people vote for. Pretty much the definition of democracy.

You may not like it, the voters may come to regret it, but it's definitely democracy.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Andy

"Not sure why Ed is so unpopular in Scotland, or maybe it would be the same whoever was leader, unless they were Scottish."

He doesn't have red hair a ruddy complexion and a face ravaged by midge bites

That hasn't worked for Danny or Jim so far. Perhaps Jimbo's decision to set aside the dye bottle has dunted his approval figures?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The question is why are the English north of the Trent impervious to Ed's serious deficiencies ? What insight have the Scots gained of late that our Northern brethren lack ?
    They're well aware of his deficiencies. But, they dislike the Conservatives even more.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour must be hoping most of the seats in Edinburgh, Fife and Ayrshire will be sticking with them in defiance of the swing in the Glasgow area.

The SNP don't need such big swings in places like Livingston & Edinburgh East. Those should be easily achievable.
  • Options
    Question: Should I hedge out my Coatbridge bet now?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Question: Should I hedge out my Coatbridge bet now?

You can't !

No markets up.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

They're well aware of his deficiencies. But, they dislike the Conservatives even more.
    UKIP on the other hand, are in with a shout... just wait to a couple years into a Miliband government.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited February 2015
    One Nation Labour. Oh dear.

That said, both main Parties are utterly discredited.

Both are on the same downward trajectory. As seismically and terminally catastrophic as these polls are for Labour, for the Tories they clearly show they are dead and buried in Scotland as an electoral force.

This election it seems is going to be decided in the East Midlands. The rest of us need not bother!

And seeing as that is the case, the CBI helpfuly predicted the strongest jobs growth out of all the regions will be in the East Midlands in 2015. Hmmm.

And finally, FPTP. A dead voting system walking.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Pulpstar said:

Nonsense

It does now.
    That can only happen if that's what people vote for. Pretty much the definition of democracy.

You may not like it, the voters may come to regret it, but it's definitely democracy.
    Quite agree, this is the only time FPTP actually works properly - every single Scottish vote counts now. That can't be said for anywhere else in the UK.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do we have any Scottish Labour posters here btw - one thing that strikes m about the nats here is their... optimism.

Scottish Labour in my opinion is and was the most negative outfit in the whole of British politics. The SNP probably the most positive.

I expect Scottish Labour to start asking whether the SNP will do a deal with the Conservatives. I'd have thought the smartest reply from Sturgeon would be to rule out even abstaining on a Conservative confidence motion.

Sturgeon came out with a pretty emphatic "no deal with the Tories" back in October while Scottish Labour were still claiming that the SNP surge was a blip and waiting for things to "return to normal".

Since mid-November, pretty much every single interview with a Labourite has them repeat the mantra "vote SNP get Cameron" and it hasn;t worked.

As for Scottish Labour members. They don't really exist.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

UKIP on the other hand, are in with a shout... just wait to a couple years into a Miliband government.
    2 years into a Miliband government - there will be 3 years left of a Miliband government.

And no referendum - but you will be happy.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Sturgeon came out with a pretty emphatic "no deal with the Tories" back in October while Scottish Labour were still claiming that the SNP surge was a blip and waiting for things to "return to normal".

Since mid-November, pretty much every single interview with a Labourite has them repeat the mantra "vote SNP get Cameron" and it hasn;t worked.

She needs to rule out abstaining though, as the SNP could hand Conservatives most seats. The Lib Dems could well abstain too, with UKIP and DUP supporting a confidence motion.

She needs to rule out absteining if it's ever brought up.
  • Options
    For those looking for a political bet while the Scottish constituency markets are closed for maintenance, this one might appeal to our host. Ladbrokes offer the following:

Lib Dems to gain any seat not won in 2010: 6/4

This is barely shorter than the Lib Dem price for Watford, so you get on the Lib Dems in Montgomeryshire, Oxford West & Abingdon, Ashfield and any other seats where you form a wild fancy that the Lib Dems might surge more or less as a free saver bet on the Lib Dems taking Watford.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

2 years into a Miliband government - there will be 3 years left of a Miliband government.

And no referendum - but you will be happy.
    I don't really buy the argument that a Milliband-led minority government would be both a disaster, and at the same time, popular and stable.

I think after two years (assuming it survived that long) it would be getting a hammering in local elections and by-elections. And, if the Tories can't win in the urban North, it must be to their advantage that Labour should lose seats there to UKIP.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Latest Scottish Subsample Averages (last 6, last 10 with YG)

Ashcroft:... SNP 48, LAB 25
    Ipsos:.........SNP 45, LAB 21
    Comres......SNP 44, LAB 23
    YG:............ SNP 43, LAB 27
    ICM............SNP 39, LAB 31
    Populus:.... SNP 34, LAB 30

Does this mega polling tell us something about the findings of some of the UK pollsters?

Does it mean that their Scottish findings are wrong, and therefore their headline UK numbers are wrong?

• Options
    Shurely there's some shum mistake in all these national and constituency polls. The great Murphy has declared that Labour will not loose a single seat! Does anyone give any credibility whatsoever now to this complete flat earther - bring back Lamont at least she was sincere.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

For those looking for a political bet while the Scottish constituency markets are closed for maintenance, this one might appeal to our host. Ladbrokes offer the following:

Lib Dems to gain any seat not won in 2010: 6/4

This is barely shorter than the Lib Dem price for Watford, so you get on the Lib Dems in Montgomeryshire, Oxford West & Abingdon, Ashfield and any other seats where you form a wild fancy that the Lib Dems might surge more or less as a free saver bet on the Lib Dems taking Watford.

I'm on.

The "3 leaders to go" bet is also still available at 10-1.

I'm on once more.
  • Options
    Congratulations Antifrank.

Like one or two others, I missed the party, but not for a bad reason. I've never understood Scotland and have always avoided it (bettingwise) for that reason. I'm the same with flat racing. Haven't got a clue, so I just don't get involved.

Glad you have benefited though. You've been very generous and fair with your assessments, and many here have good reason to be thankful.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,215
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

The areas that voted YES in the Indyref also had the lowest turnout.

Ed may be spared a wipeout yet.

There is an insignificant negative relationship between turnout and IndyRef vote. If you remove Glasgow from the results then it turns into a (insignificant) positive relationship between turnout and vote.

West Dunbartonshire, which had the second highest Yes votes, was one of the highest turnout areas.

14 council areas had higher than national average Yes votes, the mistake is just to concentrate on the ones that had higher than 50%.
    The other mistake to make is to think that people who voted NO will not vote SNP in GE. A lot of them wanted more powers and given what is on offer they are not going to get them other than by voting SNP at the GE.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: "Scottish Labour is going down in flames". More anti-Labour, Tory press propaganda. Oh, sorry. That's LabourList http://t.co/kIpHczCV9i
  • Options
    Dair said:

Very true.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    AndyJS said:

Possible but unlikely and they are mostly less safe for Labour outside Glasgow anyh way. It's worth remembering that today's polls only confirm what we've seen nationally for the last 2/3 months. There could be a huge swing-back of course but this seems like one of those seismic shifts which could be permanent. Unless we get a new constitutional settlement which 'Federalises' the UK. It might just work. Marf's silly poster smearing the idea of EVEL is endemic unfortunately of an attitude that this is just about Scotland and bunging a few more lumps of pork from English taxpayers will sort it out. I really don't think so.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Mainly because it has the correlated but unvoiced mantra 'Vote Labour and get Miliband'.

I am actually surprised just how despised Ed is north of the border. He seems relatively inoffensive and he pops out the occasional social justice soundbite that SLabbers cling onto to make themselves feel warm & fuzzy.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Does this mega polling tell us something about the findings of some of the UK pollsters?

Does it mean that their Scottish findings are wrong, and therefore their headline UK numbers are wrong?

Yes, quite possibly - but it won't actually make very much difference to the headline UK Lab number - 1% at most.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    I hope Shadsy has been relieved of his tie and shoelaces.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I don't follow, why is anyone's findings wrong?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,215

Last year there was a council election in Coatbridge where Labour got 90% of the votes. That is the scale of the turnaround. If the big parties fight the election in Scotland on a national basis then they will lose heavily in Scotland. If they fight it on the SNP record they have a chance. Nicola Sturgeon is in a honeymoon period but we have real problems. The NHS is a mess. Is that the SNP's fault or David Cameron's? Reality is that it is more SNP than Tories but that is not what the people believe. The more Labour attack Tories about the NHS the more votes they lose in Scotland. Interesting.

LOL, do you read the stats, SNP are very popular after more than 7 years in power, Tories are hated and Labour are heading same way. The issue is London parties, the SNP , apart from Greens , are the ONLY Scottish party.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Where am I?

hows the shadow chancellor today, lost his memory, must be old age
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31125998
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the SNP anti-Tory position is necessary for them now. However, it also emphasises the key reason why the Union cannot work long-term. Like it or lump it there will always be the potential for a right-wing majority in the rUK sufficient to win overall. If Scotland can't live with this the Union is doomed.
  • Options
    http://labourlist.org/2015/02/scottish-labour-is-going-down-in-flames-and-taking-milibands-chance-of-a-majority-with-them/

Yet anyone in Scotland who thinks that by voting SNP they’ll get a Labour/SNP government is playing a very dangerous game. The reality is that every Labour seat lost makes it less likely that Miliband will head the largest party.

This line is correct twice over. But not for the reasons the author thinks it is.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2015
    malcolmg said:

LOL, do you read the stats, SNP are very popular after more than 7 years in power, Tories are hated and Labour are heading same way. The issue is London parties, the SNP , apart from Greens , are the ONLY Scottish party.
    How well do think a "Scottish Unionists" party would fare? Positioned to the right of SNP but to staying well away from Tory ground, and distancing themselves from all the Westminster parties?
  • Options
    A remarkable poll, terrible for Labour no doubt about that. Shame there wasn't any polling of an Edinburgh constituency for comparison.

The SNP seem to have got themselves into the rather brilliant position of being the party of government and the party of protest at the same time, a paradox that seems to have been greatly aided by loosing the referendum.
This discussion has been closed.