Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After yesterday’s dramatic Scottish polls LAB braces itself

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After yesterday’s dramatic Scottish polls LAB braces itself for the South Yorks PCC result

The big news this morning should come from South Yorkshire where counting takes place in the Police and Crime Commissioner by-election – the first one to be held since these new elected positions were created two years ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    First!
  • Options
    Do these things come in threes? First the two Scottish polls, then South Yorks.....?
  • Options
    Insomnia Omnia.

If the Coalition was as keen on saving public money as it says it is, it would have created Deputies for PCCs and spared the expense of these by-elections.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    "South Yorkshire where counting takes place in the Police and Crime Commissioner by-election – the first one to be held since these new elected positions were created two years ago"

*cough* West Midlands *cough*

This reminds me of the journalist (I can't remember who, but it was someone fairly senior and experienced who should have known better) who wrote about the first free, fair, multi-party elections happening in Mongolia in 1996 - thereby totally ignoring the ones which happened in 1990 and 1992. Presumably they didn't count as "free and fair" because the Communists won.

In this case, the very existence of the West Midlands by-election two months ago has presumably been cancelled because UKIP didn't win it.
  • Options
    Talking of which, the Lib Dems are reported to have decided not to have a candidate in the PCC by-election in South Yorkshire "because they don't agree with the position of PCC existing". In that case, (a) why did they have a candidate in West Midlands? (b) why did they legislate for them to exist in the first place?
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    If Lab lose South Yorkshire Ed's problems will be a bit closer to home than Scotland.

He might want to show his face in Doncaster North a little more..
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited October 2014
    Not that anyone on this Forum wants Labour to do well in any election, but what do people think would count as a good result for them?
  • Options

Not that anyone on this Forum wants Labour to do well in any election, but what do people think would count as a good result for them?

Winning, by any margin at all, would be good for the Labour Party.

• Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

Paradoxically not being the government next time.

Can't see anybody else wanting to dip their hands in the blood so Lab would cop all the blame for mega cuts to come. Don't think MiliLab can survive that..

• Options
    (FPT)
    HYUFD said:

Indeed, the Alex Rider films with Alex Pettyfer were also hugely successful. my father recently told me his mother knew the Horowitz family and he went on several holidays with them and even when younger he was an interesting guy

The Alex Rider film (there was only one of them) was very successful because I went to see it 6 times in the cinema. I did so because Alex Pettyfer is extremely gorgeous (and he was already very handsome and mature when he was only 16 in "Stormbreaker"). Which, I suppose, is also the reason why there was only one film - because beyond the first film, Alex Pettyfer would have been too old to play the part of Alex Rider (who is 14 in the books).
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited October 2014
    Well I seem to have missed a bit of excitement last night. It's not a bad idea to take a step back occasionally in the build up to the GE. There will be good and bad days for all parties and the Tories may be cheerful today, but less so on Nov 21st.

However, some trends do seem to be emerging.

1. I cannot see the official opposition Labour party winning the General Election from this position. They could do it, but they will need such a turnaround and they really ought to be on 40% (remember those days?): I just cannot see it happening. Their position in Scotland is cataclysmic. They cannot afford to haemorrhage support in their heartland like this.

2. Conversely I 'can' see the Conservatives winning, and not just because I am one. They are slowly crawling into a position that could see them, as Governing party, taking a solid enough lead next spring to win outright. This was apparently unthinkable and "pure fantasy" (Mike Smithson) just a year ago. Even three weeks ago TSE posted that their hopes were "all but extinguished."

3. UKIP remain the great unknown. Whatever their tub-thumpers on here say national polling simply does not support the hype. At the moment they would be very fortunate to win a handful of seats. So unless they gain massive long-term traction from Rochester, that is sustained when politics gets serious next year, they will not be a major force in terms of Westminster seats.

4. Ed is crap.
  • Options
    At this rate, it'll be the SNP which wins the next PCC by-election and the UKIP which wins the Scottish Parliament election in 2016.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,079
    JohnLoony said:

(FPT)

HYUFD said:

Indeed, the Alex Rider films with Alex Pettyfer were also hugely successful. my father recently told me his mother knew the Horowitz family and he went on several holidays with them and even when younger he was an interesting guy

The Alex Rider film (there was only one of them) was very successful because I went to see it 6 times in the cinema. I did so because Alex Pettyfer is extremely gorgeous (and he was already very handsome and mature when he was only 16 in "Stormbreaker"). Which, I suppose, is also the reason why there was only one film - because beyond the first film, Alex Pettyfer would have been too old to play the part of Alex Rider (who is 14 in the books).
    There was only one Alex Rider film, and it was a large flop:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormbreaker_(film)

Budget: $40 million
    Box office: $24 million

With figures like that, there is no way they were going to make another film, whatever Pettyfer's delights may or may not have be.
  • Options
    on-topic:
    "A UKIP defeat could just take the edge off the party’s progress."

I really don't see UKIP losing the SY PPC election denting its progress. The role is important, but as turnout shows, barely registers with voters. Also, UKIP looks likely to have massively increased its vote, which will gild the loss.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    JohnLoony said:

Winning, by any margin at all, would be good for the Labour Party.

Except...that would take the pressure off Ed going into the library with a glass of whisky and a loaded revolver. Which would be bad for the Labour Party.

(It's hard to imagine though, isn't it?

"Actually, I don't really do spirits. And - oh my God - there's a weapon in the library! Justine! Justine? How did this gun get in the library? Didn't we agree the children were to be brought up in an atmosphere free from any references to the military-industrial complex?" What do you mean "Ed Balls brought it round"? Why?"....)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YG - Best PM:

DC at +23 (+19)

EdM supported by 53% OF LAB VI and by 39% of LAB 2010 VI.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Lab majority drifting on BF... finally!

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071
    Oh dear, are we EVER going to get this Inquiry creaking into action
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29844612 .... Victims' groups are expected to tell child abuse inquiry officials Fiona Woolf should step down as its head.
  • Options

on-topic:

I really don't see UKIP losing the SY PPC election denting its progress. The role is important, but as turnout shows, barely registers with voters. Also, UKIP looks likely to have massively increased its vote, which will gild the loss.

Yes - Rochester would be much more damaging - this will hardly register - on the other hand a win will handily help the "we take seats off Labour too" narrative.....

Only just caught up with this tale of the fall of Lamont - as the comments point out, a bit of special pleading in the article over Ed and the "bedroom tax"....

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/10/fall-reluctant-leader-inside-story-scottish-labours-crisis
  • Options
    At least the count will not take long.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

on-topic:

Failing to win Heywood and Middleton didn't check UKIP's progress. I think a win for anyone other than Labour in South Yorkshire would still be so remarkable that falling short would not damage UKIP.

What I'm particularly interested in is whether UKIP can force this to the second round and, if so, how the second-preference votes are distributed.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

to resign?

• Options

on-topic:

Failing to win Heywood and Middleton didn't check UKIP's progress. I think a win for anyone other than Labour in South Yorkshire would still be so remarkable that falling short would not damage UKIP.

What I'm particularly interested in is whether UKIP can force this to the second round and, if so, how the second-preference votes are distributed.
    As the Kippers were not expected to do well in H&M, that they did so was an indication of progress.

Sadly!
  • Options
    Like rabbits caught by the headlights.

http://news.sky.com/story/1363874/labour-facing-election-wipe-out-in-scotland

Will there be a defenestration of Ed M before the year is out, or will he be knifed once the results come in in May?

If the Nats take all those seats off Labour, there is one hell of a boil to lance in Scotland for Westminster.
  • Options

What Labour needs is a result that forces the party to challenge all its complacent assumptions about what it stands for, how it is perceived and who should lead it. Labour basically has to start again. There is a need for a strong centre left voice in this country and there is a desire for one. But, sadly, Labour just isn't it. It has far too many MPs who are divorced from the communities they represent (Miliband, Balls, Hunt and most of the Scottish cohort being perfect examples), its policy-making is shambolic, its worldview is stuck in the 20th century, its assumptions are lazy. I could go on, but you get the picture. Essentially, Labour has let the people of this country down - not only in government, but also in its failure to articulate and set out a coherent, credible opposition to the Coalition. It deserves to lose the next election heavily. That it probably won't is down to FPTP and the toxicity of the Tory brand.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Will there be a defenestration of Ed M before the year is out, or will he be knifed once the results come in in May?

If the Nats take all those seats off Labour, there is one hell of a boil to lance in Scotland for Westminster.

Labour - welcome to our Tory world of the Scottish MP's - panda gags
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Oh How Nick Palmer must long for the days when he was posting that Labour were 5% ahead and the lead was pretty stable...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

on haggis?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    dr_spyn said:

Another argument in favour of some form of PR. Worth remembering that the SNP won 73% of the constituency seats at the 2011 Holyrood elections, with the top-up seats reducing that percentage to 53% on about 45% of the vote.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr SO (7.24) but what is the alternative for a “leftie”, or at least someone who is often appalled by the attiude of Tories en masse?
    I’m never going to vote Tory, I don’t see that the LD’s have a chance ..... and anyway they’ve never done well in this constituency, although there’s an LD MP nearby ........ Green’s a possibility of course.

UKIP? If Labour are solving the problems of the late 20th Century, UKP would take us back to the mid 20th.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

What Labour needs is a result that forces the party to challenge all its complacent assumptions about what it stands for, how it is perceived and who should lead it. Labour basically has to start again. There is a need for a strong centre left voice in this country and there is a desire for one. But, sadly, Labour just isn't it. It has far too many MPs who are divorced from the communities they represent (Miliband, Balls, Hunt and most of the Scottish cohort being perfect examples), its policy-making is shambolic, its worldview is stuck in the 20th century, its assumptions are lazy. I could go on, but you get the picture. Essentially, Labour has let the people of this country down - not only in government, but also in its failure to articulate and set out a coherent, credible opposition to the Coalition. It deserves to lose the next election heavily. That it probably won't is down to FPTP and the toxicity of the Tory brand.
    Yep, couldn't agree more. The Tories are however, one election away from the same place. These are interesting times. I predict that whoever tries to govern in 2015 will be utterly annihilated in 2020.
  • Options
    George Osborne ‏@George_Osborne 2m2 minutes ago
    Just announced UK will repay part of remaining #WW1 debt. Lower interest rates on new debt thanks to credibility of #LongTermEconomicPlan

Begs question long term economic plan, especially if things kick off in Middle East.
  • Options
    If you know your history its enough to make your heart go oh, oh, oh...

George OsborneVerified account
    @George_Osborne
    We'll redeem £218m of 4% Consols, including debts incurred because of South Sea Bubble. Another financial crisis we're clearing up after...
  • Options

Is the count being covered live?

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited October 2014

Indeed, Mr SO (7.24) but what is the alternative for a “leftie”, or at least someone who is often appalled by the attiude of Tories en masse?
    I’m never going to vote Tory, I don’t see that the LD’s have a chance ..... and anyway they’ve never done well in this constituency, although there’s an LD MP nearby ........ Green’s a possibility of course.

UKIP? If Labour are solving the problems of the late 20th Century, UKP would take us back to the mid 20th.

I don't know where to go. I can't see myself voting next year. I certainly do not want this Labour party in power. It would put back the cause of the centre left in the UK by decades.

• Options

I don't know where to go. I can't see myself voting next year. I certainly do not want this Labour party in power. It would put back the cause of the centre left in the UK by decades.

My current justification is that I would like to see the back of the current local MP; UKIP-lite and unsympathetic to people with real problems as a result of Government policy.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

SO think you might seriously regret not voting. Just imagine if we ended up with a small majority Tory govt that at the mercy of its loony right took us out of the EU.

The odd thing about politics at the moment is that despite deep general dissatisfaction with the main parties, some big decisions are on the horizon.

You simply have to vote.
  • Options

My current justification is that I would like to see the back of the current local MP; UKIP-lite and unsympathetic to people with real problems as a result of Government policy.

Our Labour candidate gives every impression of being just another photo-fit automaton with no independent thought process. I can't justify a vote for her.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Jonathan said:

SO think you might seriously regret not voting. Just imagine if we ended up with a small majority Tory govt that at the mercy of its loony right took us out of the EU.

The odd thing about politics at the moment is that despite deep general dissatisfaction with the main parties, some big decisions are on the horizon.

You simply have to vote.
    SouthamObserver is the sort of sensible leftist that listens to those on the other side and engages with their arguments. He thus appreciates there's a strong case for getting us out the EU, rather than dismissing people he disagrees with as "loony".
  • Options

Well, if, like me, you have a personable Labour MP, you can give her a personal vote without having to worry about putting her Party back into power. Otherwise you can park your vote with the Greens until such time as a better option presents itself. I'm not holding my breath: we are talking about the replacement of class politics (which many thought ugly enough) with identity politics. They are far uglier. Monksfield is surely right to say that "whoever tries to govern in 2015 will be utterly annihilated in 2020" - and identity politics will lead to the Weimarization of our political system. And we all know what happens after that. Sometimes I'm glad to be 65 and in indifferent health, but I feel shame at what I'll be leaving behind for my kids to try to sweep up.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I will vote; I never miss a chance to do so. Not inspired by the choice locally. I am in a safe seat with a unpleasant and arrogant, yet barely visible MP. I was rather hoping he would step down for 2015.
  • Options
    Comments today are looking very encouraging for the Can't Be Arsed Party in May....
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The Tories wont take us out of the EU..It would be the wish of the British people, expressed in a referendum...Labour would deny the same people the right to express their view.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You simply have to vote.

I am sure I will. But I can't vote for Labour. Under Ed and the rest of the current leadership it is not fit to govern.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

Disagree. In the post-Thatcher era TB could be counted as a centre left Labour politician and he took his party to the centre left with him. To call him anything else is to deny the shifts in society over the preceeding 20-30 years. Call it free market capitalism with a caring heart.

The difficulty Labour today faces is that they feel (and certainly many on the left such as the unions fervently believe) they should somehow hark back to a pre-Thatcher leftist idyll which, of course, we know not only didn't exist but which the public would probably not care for any more, if they ever did.

Which would be fine. It is at least a position and EdM has flirted with it - price controls, redistributions, and so forth. Thing is, they are living in a different world. Not quite the end of history but certainly there is no going back to some of the soundbites that EdM has generated recently. So they do it all by halves.

The country has a strong centre left voice today - David Cameron. Because he too has been buffeted away from the right (and takes the same amount of stick from rightists) and has alighted on the centre left platform.

The critical issue is that Dave is trying to face down his party and bring them to the centre and we all know that struggle. EdM, meanwhile, because he also is already on the centre left but has somehow to differentiate himself from the Cons, is not as sure of what he is trying to do - I for one couldn't describe his policy. And it's this lack of focus that is killing him.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

3. UKIP remain the great unknown. Whatever their tub-thumpers on here say national polling simply does not support the hype. At the moment they would be very fortunate to win a handful of seats. So unless they gain massive long-term traction from Rochester, that is sustained when politics gets serious next year, they will not be a major force in terms of Westminster seats.

Most UKippers on here seem to be talking about half a dozen seats. That doesn't seem to be excessive tub-thumping. I know it's more than Baxter, but predicting UNS off such a huge increase is surely inaccurate. They're very likely to win their two incumbents, IMO, and Farage will win his too I expect. Three more across Kent and Essex is completely doable.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Socrates said:

Most UKippers on here seem to be talking about half a dozen seats. That doesn't seem to be excessive tub-thumping. I know it's more than Baxter, but predicting UNS off such a huge increase is surely inaccurate. They're very likely to win their two incumbents, IMO, and Farage will win his too I expect. Three more across Kent and Essex is completely doable.
    counting your Rochester's before they're hatched?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I'm a natural Conservative so Labour's woes aren't going to get much sympathy from me but I do regret the trap that we're in today through a combination of weak politicians unwilling to tell voters the truth about where we stand economically and an even more depressing electorate where the mentality seems to be more than ever a demand for easy solutions and gimme, gimme, gimme. The disease encompasses much of Western Europe unfortunately.
  • Options
    FPT TSE:

" I really do hope Labour win the South Yorkshire Police Commissioner by-election.

If Labour lose it, then they might ditch Ed. "

As I said on Monday, and as IIRC OGH said in his header piece, a lot of Establishment Tories want Labour to win in South Yorkshire.

Now they may have good reasons for so doing, or at least what seem good reasons to them. That might be a fear of EdM being removed or a visceral hatred of UKIP and/or the wwc.

But the human consequences of Labour keeping control of South Yorkshire policing are not difficult to imagine.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Ladbrokes' Scottish constituency seat prices are back up. The SNP have shortened all round, unsurprisingly.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You simply have to vote.

I am sure I will. But I can't vote for Labour. Under Ed and the rest of the current leadership it is not fit to govern.
    Good about voting! Sitting on your hands, to let the likes of UKIP wreak havoc surely is unthinkable.

Understand some of your concerns. Would prefer to see folks like Nick Palmer back in Westminster and making decisions.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    There was a PCC by-election in the West Midlands in July 2014 and Labour walked it with much the same vote as in 2012. That's not to say that they will walk it in South Yorks but I think a Ukip win is fanciful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_Police_and_Crime_Commissioner_by-election,_2014
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, everyone.

From two threads ago: to clarify, Mr. Scout, I was just leaving the site for the night, I didn't actually go to bed at 8pm :p

Just glanced at the figures on the last thread. Months to go yet, but right now it's not great for Miliband.

Mr. Palmer, just to correct you: it's not 9% of Yorkshire's electorate, unless turnout is damned high, because most Yorkshiremen won't be voting.
  • Options
    F1: practice is at 3pm and 7pm today. Odd times because it's in America.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Well I seem to have missed a bit of excitement last night. It's not a bad idea to take a step back occasionally in the build up to the GE. There will be good and bad days for all parties and the Tories may be cheerful today, but less so on Nov 21st.

However, some trends do seem to be emerging.

1. I cannot see the official opposition Labour party winning the General Election from this position. They could do it, but they will need such a turnaround and they really ought to be on 40% (remember those days?): I just cannot see it happening. Their position in Scotland is cataclysmic. They cannot afford to haemorrhage support in their heartland like this.

2. Conversely I 'can' see the Conservatives winning, and not just because I am one. They are slowly crawling into a position that could see them, as Governing party, taking a solid enough lead next spring to win outright. This was apparently unthinkable and "pure fantasy" (Mike Smithson) just a year ago. Even three weeks ago TSE posted that their hopes were "all but extinguished."

4. Ed is crap

1. Agree - kind of, Labour could still get most seats though... it looks a coin toss to me.

2. Yes they can, but 5-1 is a fair reflection of their chance for a majority.

3. UKIP are favourites in Thurrock, Thanet South, Clacton and Boston. They will win all those seats. I'[d expect them to pick up 6 more at least.

4. Yes, but they'd do no good to knife him now.

• Options

And therein lies your mistake. People have real problems that are simply not solveable by any government - times are hard and the cash ain't there. The UK is suffering much less than many in, eg, southern Europe but no-one wants to hear it. We have nurses going on strike because some of them will not get a 1% rise on top of a 3% annual increment while in the real world Monarch employees have opted for a big pay cut and some redundancies to save the business for the rest. None of the choices are easy and there will always be 'victims' who hog the headlines but the alternative to the hard medicine now is continual and steady decline.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne
    We'll redeem £218m of 4% Consols, including debts incurred because of South Sea Bubble. Another financial crisis we're clearing up after...

All part of the "we're paying down Britain's debts" meme.

Governments have been redeeming war debts every year since they took them out, just as they redeem other bonds when they become due.

Its the net new borrowing that's the relevant value and that's going to be over £100bn this year, over £60bn more than Osborne said it would be,

Has Osborne tweeted about that ?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

FPT TSE:

" I really do hope Labour win the South Yorkshire Police Commissioner by-election.

If Labour lose it, then they might ditch Ed. "

As I said on Monday, and as IIRC OGH said in his header piece, a lot of Establishment Tories want Labour to win in South Yorkshire.

Now they may have good reasons for so doing, or at least what seem good reasons to them. That might be a fear of EdM being removed or a visceral hatred of UKIP and/or the wwc.

But the human consequences of Labour keeping control of South Yorkshire policing are not difficult to imagine.

I think I recall that your rather unhinged reasoning was that "establishment Tories" (inc TSE) prefer child rape to the prospect of Labour losing their heartlands.

I'm sure Mike would prefer that you didn't say that you and he agreed.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You simply have to vote.

Good about voting! Sitting on your hands, to let the likes of UKIP wreak havoc surely is unthinkable.

Understand some of your concerns. Would prefer to see folks like Nick Palmer back in Westminster and making decisions.
    Wow - are you aware of his record from last time he was an MP?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Ladbrokes' Scottish constituency seat prices are back up. The SNP have shortened all round, unsurprisingly.

Not a few I have wagers on.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

Governments have been redeeming war debts every year since they took them out, just as they redeem other bonds when they become due.

Its the net new borrowing that's the relevant value and that's going to be over £100bn this year, over £60bn more than Osborne said it would be,

These are perpetual bonds, not ones that do ever fall due. Why they have not been bought back previously in favour of lower rate ones is a mystery.

Gordon Brown wrecked UK finances. No way should his sidekick Balls be given the keys to the Treasury.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

You're right. On close inspection, many of the most interesting seats are still not back up.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You simply have to vote.

Wow - are you aware of his record from last time he was an MP?
    Like reneging on his Euro constitution referendum commitment?
  • Options
    felix said:

And therein lies your mistake. People have real problems that are simply not solveable by any government - times are hard and the cash ain't there. The UK is suffering much less than many in, eg, southern Europe but no-one wants to hear it. We have nurses going on strike because some of them will not get a 1% rise on top of a 3% annual increment while in the real world Monarch employees have opted for a big pay cut and some redundancies to save the business for the rest. None of the choices are easy and there will always be 'victims' who hog the headlines but the alternative to the hard medicine now is continual and steady decline.
    Mr Felix, the Government has absoluely no need to take it out on the poor and disadvantaged, the way this one is doing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

You're right. On close inspection, many of the most interesting seats are still not back up.
    Glasgow East back up at 9-4, 2-7... perhaps backing Labour at 1-5 wasn't SOOO bad (Though not great), have £130 of profit left in the SNP winning there anyway thanks to your wonderful tip which I regret not having more than a tenner on.
  • Options
    felix said:

@felix

You are very right and the coalition has prevented the required harder cuts and efficiency measures from being implemented in 2010 (as was done in Ireland). We now have firemen going on strike over pensions, but the level of many of the public sector pensions are unaffordable - does not matter who is in power. Perhaps no pension should be more than £20k (including the OAP).

@SO: re voting or not voting.
    I have a LD MP - nice chap, quite good in the constituency but not a deep or long term thinker. His main opposition is PC who are absolutely hopeless and would waste even more money on the Welsh language and have policies more suitable for the time of WW1.
    So I may vote LD to keep the PC out or I may vote for one of the smaller parties here, but do not see LAB being removed as they have too many followers on excessive benefits.
  • Options
    But we can all wish we'd spent more on our winners/value bets and less on our losers ^_~
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2014
    Scotland:

England:

http://tomlalor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/UKIP-1400-Reasons.jpg

It will be performance on health or education in Wales.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

These are perpetual bonds, not ones that do ever fall due. Why they have not been bought back previously in favour of lower rate ones is a mystery.

Gordon Brown wrecked UK finances. No way should his sidekick Balls be given the keys to the Treasury.
    The incumbent Chancellor in 2008 (when the shit hit the fan) had a choice between "wrecking" the public finances and wrecking the social fabric. It's easy enough for Tories here to point to those items of public expenditure they'd want cut even if we had a trillion dollar surplus on current account. Doing the job, as Osborne could tell them, is slightly harder.

If our problems were really due to Labour, why is it that other European countries have similar - or worse - ones?

• Options
    felix said:

This idea that public service is all milk and honey is utter BS. As one, I can honestly state that my salary has increased by 1% in the last 4 years. That's not every year, but all the last 4. And we don't have any incremental increases at all. Ergo in real terms my pay has dropped by somewhere around 10-15%. When we see management joining the workers in taking big pay cuts, I'll suck it up. But they don't. What we're seeing is a gradual return to the social divisions of the Victorian era. And ultimately that won't wash in a democracy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,949

dr_spyn said:

I was thinking yesterday that Sweetie and Sunshine the Pandas might feel they could relax after seeing the figures for Tory (and now LD) seats in Scotland. But you're right, SLAB is heading close enough to panda territory - too good a chance to miss, so perhaps they'll be putting the ginger juice in the drinking water again when Sweetie comes into season.

Having said that, I'm still surprised at only 10% for the SCUP - even if two polls give that figure-ish. LIke others, I'd expect 15-20%. Which raises the question, will we see a Tory/Labour crossover in Scotland?
  • Options
    "Just 13% of Scots say Miliband would be the best Prime Minister. 29% say Cameron. In *Scotland*."

That from the notoriously pro-Conservative tweeter, um, Wings Over Scotland.

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/528099011153387520
  • Options
    edited October 2014

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

Nothing to see, move on, look over there, wolf, where wolf.

Begs quite a few questions about cost of debt servicing, level of UK external debt, and how confident bond holders are re repayments. The commitment to low interest rates is 'interesting', likewise the theme of fiscal honesty.

I don't suppose Osborne ever tweeted about removing that 'temporary' income tax from Pitt's time.

• Options

felix said:

Mr Felix, the Government has absoluely no need to take it out on the poor and disadvantaged, the way this one is doing.
    Pray how sir? Do you mean by the massive increase in the personal allowance for low paid workers? Or the creation of millions of new jobs? Or are you more worried that benefits are limited to £26000 a year - more than many ordinary folk who work, earn? Or are you bothered by the low interest rates which hold down mortgage payment for hundreds of thousands of hard-working families? I could go on but of course you don't want to listen to the real world.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    edited October 2014

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

The incumbent Chancellor in 2008 (when the shit hit the fan) had a choice between "wrecking" the public finances and wrecking the social fabric. It's easy enough for Tories here to point to those items of public expenditure they'd want cut even if we had a trillion dollar surplus on current account. Doing the job, as Osborne could tell them, is slightly harder.

If our problems were really due to Labour, why is it that other European countries have similar - or worse - ones?

I think the more egregious move of GB's was the huge injection of cash into the public sector after his promise to stick to the Cons' spending plans when he got into office.

It was this, for no corresponding improvement in productivity, which did the damage.

Further, he messed around with the financial services regulatory environment, the so-called tripartite regulation system which many (including, notably, the Cons) identified as being a recipe for disaster at the time.

IMO GB didn't do a dreadful job in 2008 - certainly no different from any other CoE would have done I mean you couldn't have a high street bank going t**ts up.

It was the journey there where he messed up.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

If Gordon had not wrecked the finances by running a deficit during the growth years 2002-2008 there would have been no need for savage cuts. It will take a generation or two to get back where we were. Thanks to Gordon we are paying £75 billion on interest every year, which puts the EU bill of €2 billion into the petty cash book!
  • Options

felix said:

No government can ever support and please everybody and be an economic prop for everybody. There is a principle called personal responsibility which some seem to have abandoned and expect the government to keep them in the (workfree) lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

A farm near me is desperate for more workers and even provides a car for the farming hours, but all the local unemployed have turned down the jobs because they do not want to start milking at 5am. The only people who are willing to do it are European immigrants.

So please elaborate on your point of "taking it out on the poor and disadvantaged."
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

Most of the European countries with similar problems had left of centre governments I believe.
  • Options
    felix said:

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

Most of the European countries with similar problems had left of centre governments I believe.
    Italy? France? Utter BS
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Do these things come in threes? First the two Scottish polls, then South Yorks.....?

Troubles come, not as single spies, but in battalions.
  • Options
    felix said:

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

I don't think that's right, or even accurate. As I see it, we had two advantages:
    1) We were outside the Euro.
    2) Our economy, by luck or good planning, was structured in a way that was better able to handle the shock.

Not that it was easy, or will be easy going forwards.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    It's a glum BenM signing in this morning.

With current polling and mood music (and utter Labour irrelevance in the last 2 to 3 weeks - something I hadn't banked on) I'm moving across to the @SouthamObserver school of dark pessimism and expecting the worst of all possible outcomes in all possible worlds!

Not just today, but for GE2015.

I'm announcing that from today I will be dropping my anti- Dan Hodges jibes. I've a growing feeling Dan is going to be more accurate about May's outcome than I've been for four years!
  • Options

This idea that public service is all milk and honey is utter BS. As one, I can honestly state that my salary has increased by 1% in the last 4 years. That's not every year, but all the last 4. And we don't have any incremental increases at all. Ergo in real terms my pay has dropped by somewhere around 10-15%. When we see management joining the workers in taking big pay cuts, I'll suck it up. But they don't. What we're seeing is a gradual return to the social divisions of the Victorian era. And ultimately that won't wash in a democracy.

Average pay is now much higher in the public sector than the private sector. In both teaching and nursing increments have continued while annual pay rates have been frozen. I believe in many other European countries public sector pay was cut by between 10 and 20% so your claims about hardship are somewhat spurious. You are also ignoring the huge personal allowance cuts the freeze on council tax which have cushioned the blow. As a former teacher I understand the demands of the job but I also know the realities of the rewards. I fully accept that senior management in both the public and private sectors are generally overpaid and in the former somewhat underworked in my experience. However, if you taxed them all till the proverbial pips squeaked it would barely skim the surface of our debt problems as you well know.
  • Options

felix said:

You are very fortunate to have the 1% and not a pay cut. Regarding management in the public sector rewarding itself and keeping their jobs and benefits - nothing new in that - when real cuts are needed when does the public sector start with the management and non-jobs - very rarely - they start with services. Around here the CEO of a council has had such a large pay-off (after dodgy pension arrangements) that it has been question by the audit commission.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Troubles come, not as single spies, but in battalions.
    Can't remember the last time Ed had some good News.
  • Options
    Mr. M, still time for things to change dramatically. Don't forget the start of 2011, which saw multiple large earthquakes, a tsunami and near nuclear meltdown, and the so-called Arab Spring.

Ebola is nowhere near under control, yet.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

I think the more egregious move of GB's was the huge injection of cash into the public sector after his promise to stick to the Cons' spending plans when he got into office.

It was this, for no corresponding improvement in productivity, which did the damage.

Further, he messed around with the financial services regulatory environment, the so-called tripartite regulation system which many (including, notably, the Cons) identified as being a recipe for disaster at the time.

IMO GB didn't do a dreadful job in 2008 - certainly no different from any other CoE would have done I mean you couldn't have a high street bank going t**ts up.

It was the journey there where he messed up.
    And the voters re-elected him in 2005, so by your argument an economically incompetent government can get itself re-elected. You can believe in "sound money" or you can believe in democracy but not in both, my friend,

• Options

felix said:

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

Italy? France? Utter BS
    Since we've had Cameron described here as a leftie...

• Options
    A period of 10-20 years of utterly crap and ineffective government might be a good thing, it would make people realise that they have to take control of their own lives and not depend on the state.
  • Options

felix said:

dr_spyn said:

@George_Osborne

Italy? France? Utter BS
    Spain, Portugal - even the 2 you mention generally support centre left policies. In Europe the mai parties are considerably less polarised than here.
  • Options
    BenM said:

With current polling and mood music (and utter Labour irrelevance in the last 2 to 3 weeks - something I hadn't banked on) I'm moving across to the @SouthamObserver school of dark pessimism and expecting the worst of all possible outcomes in all possible worlds!

I'm announcing that from today I will be dropping my anti- Dan Hodges jibes. I've a growing feeling Dan is going to be more accurate about May's outcome than I've been for four years!

BenM, well done. Can almost see the relief on your face as the weight is lifted from your shoulders. However, I am sure that there are still some 'events' to come before May that could well put all our pronostications in the shredder. It all depends on who is best able (and shows it) how to react to such events.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    BenM said:

Maybe you can streak naked in Parliament square next May:)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    Socrates said:

Three is less than a handful, six only slightly more. As the poster said "At the moment they would be very fortunate to win a handful of seats." Looks like you both agree.
  • Options
    felix said:

Average pay is now much higher in the public sector than the private sector. In both teaching and nursing increments have continued while annual pay rates have been frozen. I believe in many other European countries public sector pay was cut by between 10 and 20% so your claims about hardship are somewhat spurious. You are also ignoring the huge personal allowance cuts the freeze on council tax which have cushioned the blow. As a former teacher I understand the demands of the job but I also know the realities of the rewards. I fully accept that senior management in both the public and private sectors are generally overpaid and in the former somewhat underworked in my experience. However, if you taxed them all till the proverbial pips squeaked it would barely skim the surface of our debt problems as you well know.

Ah, that old canard. As you well know, there is no such comparison as public sector vs private sector, as whilst the private sector is more of a pyramid, in terms of the weight of jobs people do and equivalent reward, the public sector has exported or outsourced most of the jobs at the bottom of the pyramid. What's left are moderate to highly skilled roles, with few of the generic manual etc. In our organisation virtually everyone is of minimum graduate level and many of us, including me, have Higher degrees and are nationally recognised experts in our subjects. So I would frankly expect our paybill to be higher than the mean.
  • Options

Mr. M, still time for things to change dramatically. Don't forget the start of 2011, which saw multiple large earthquakes, a tsunami and near nuclear meltdown, and the so-called Arab Spring.

Ebola is nowhere near under control, yet.

What - you reckon Ed will suggest a judge led public enquiry on Ebola? Or announce he will freeze the virus for 3 years?
  • Options
    Mr. Monksfield, and yet it's the private sector that pays your wages.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Jonathan

"Can't remember the last time Ed had some good News."

When David took up charity work.......

Unfortunately what is dawning on even the faithful is that he really doesn't know what leading a party involves. I can't remember an occasion when I've felt he was obviously on the right side of an argument and leading the charge...

Something which even Nick Clegg has managed (for example yesterday on drugs). If the Libs hadn't become Tories rthis would be a golden opportunity for them
  • Options
    I’m replying to a couple of eaerlier comments; sadly to reply direcdtly takes the post over the word limit.
    Mr Felix’ comment about “millions of new jobs” doesn’t take into account that that headline figure obscures the fact that too many of these jobs are low-wage or zero-hours contracts, or, worse, both. It is to be hoped that the Government will do something about ZHC’s but time is running out before the election.

Mr Financier, that raises an interesting question for our Kipper friends. How are they going to square that circle? Clearly the current policy of insisting that claimants have a good reason for turning down jobs isn’t working, in your locality at least. Why not?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I was going to say Ed isn't entirely blameless but then I remembered the types Ed surrounds himself with and I thought yep.... he is to blame.
  • Options

felix said:

Ah, that old canard. As you well know, there is no such comparison as public sector vs private sector, as whilst the private sector is more of a pyramid, in terms of the weight of jobs people do and equivalent reward, the public sector has exported or outsourced most of the jobs at the bottom of the pyramid. What's left are moderate to highly skilled roles, with few of the generic manual etc. In our organisation virtually everyone is of minimum graduate level and many of us, including me, have Higher degrees and are nationally recognised experts in our subjects. So I would frankly expect our paybill to be higher than the mean.
    So what are you moaning about if that's the case? struggling to pay for the eastern European au-pair? Have you overloaded on the mortgage because of the low rates? My heart bleeds. you said something about BS - do me a favour.
This discussion has been closed.