Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After yesterday’s dramatic Scottish polls LAB braces itself

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

The contrast between results in Sheffield confirm a trend that was seen in the European elections: UKIP generally do much worse in major cities than they do in working-class towns, even when said cities are very white and working-class.

The distinction between towns and cities can be a bit arbitrary. Places like Rotherham, Dudley, Oldham and Doncaster, are big enough to be cities.

I think Danny565 is referring to Core Cities. I wrote about these in the summer:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/core-cities-labours-reservoir.html

Given a second chance, I'd definitely want to revisit this piece now to consider how UKIP fit into this.
    That's interesting, thanks.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

How d'ya like them apples, you grubby little kippers.

Now let's see what the Tories are made of in Rochester.

There's only one party that seeing its vote share rise by double digits in by-elections.

And, it isn't Her Majesty's Opposition.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hugh said:

Relief to see you back on HQ message - off the reservation doesn't suit you.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

80 % postal votes! Labour has reduced British democracy to a farce.

Postal voting benefits the Tories more than anyone, as their armies of decrepit blue rinse Mail reading benefit claimants are too old to totter to the polling stations.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

80 % postal votes! Labour has reduced British democracy to a farce.

Postal voting benefits the Tories more than anyone, as their armies of decrepit blue rinse Mail reading benefit claimants are too old to totter to the polling stations.
    You seem a bit bitter about Labour's chances. Are the polls getting to you?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    edited October 2014
    New Thread
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060

Good afternoon, everyone.

It's a good job the postal voting system's so robust.

And why wouldn't it be? Of course there will always be loopholes in whatever systems are applied, but postal voting is a VERY good thing.

Are PB Tories annoyed that Labour has won an election, albeit a completely irrelevant election that is total waste of taxpayers money...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Missed on here but Eck has been raising a storm by going a Lidl crazy..

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-opens-lidl-store-4539524?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"ond opened a supermarket for the first time yesterday – to snub retail giants Asda for failing to back Scottish independence.

The First Minister met shoppers and staff at a Lidl store in Rutherglen, near Glasgow. He agreed to open the shop after Asda chief executive Andy Clarke claimed prices would soar in an independent Scotland.

Salmond said: “This is my first supermarket opening. There were a number of reasons to open the store – staff have raised cash for good causes, I’m impressed by the new store and because Lidl isn’t Asda."
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

Now let's see what the Tories are made of in Rochester.

There's only one party that seeing its vote share rise by double digits in by-elections.

And, it isn't Her Majesty's Opposition.

I don't deny UKIP are doing well, particularly in seats with large proportions of gnarled numbskulls flying St George flags, refusing to measure in metric, and selling Golliwogs in their run down seaside souvenir shops to show how "un PC" they are.

Fortunately, those kind of places aren't Labour's genuinely working class heartlands.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014

BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whining about Postal Votes when losing is another example of UKIPs lack of fitness for any public office.

You think postal vote fraud is part of the rough-and-tumble of jolly old politics, and it's just bad sportsmanship and big-girls-blousery to object to it (in any circumstances, never mind when it leads to a stolen election)?

Course you do, you're Labour. Good for you.

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Why do Labour always seem to do better via postal votes than by people turning up at the ballot box?
    Because the Polling Station staff would notice the same person voting multiple times.
  • Options

BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whining about Postal Votes when losing is another example of UKIPs lack of fitness for any public office.

You think postal vote fraud is part of the rough-and-tumble of jolly old politics, and it's just bad sportsmanship and big-girls-blousery to object to it (in any circumstances, never mind when it leads to a stolen election)?

Course you do, you're Labour. Good for you.

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Why do Labour always seem to do better via postal votes than by people turning up at the ballot box?
    Because the Polling Station staff would notice the same person voting multiple times.
    Well yes that's my take on it too, but what's the official Labour position on this? How do they rationalise it?

Or is it just the usual ha ha we beat the Tories/UKIP?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    new thread
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Earlier _ posted the decline in Labour share (other than Sheffield)

For completeness

Labour vote FELL from 51% to 42.4% in Rotherham
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,851
    Roger said:

S.O

" Labour should feel humbled by the incredible loyalty of voters whose interest they have failed to advocate or protect for years now. Instead, Labour will take it for granted. At some stage the dam will break though."

I'm sorry S.O but I don't agree with any of that. Voters are like investors and they vote on a future prospectus.They know what the Tories are like and more so the dismal UKIP. This is a vote for hope and Labour knows this to be the case. This is something they'll never take for granted because it's the fact that they give a damn that makes them Labour in the first place.

Lol! "A vote for hope"! Are you Ed Miliband?!
This discussion has been closed.