Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After yesterday’s dramatic Scottish polls LAB braces itself

Comments

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

The Rotherham subsample is interesting mind - assuming the Lib Dems run a candidate there then UKIP could be in with a shot come next May.

But perhaps 5-2 is about right.

This was an election where you would have thought UKIP voters were relatively highly motivated and Labour voters were not. If they didn't win this time on a lowish turnout, why would UKIP win at a general election?
    I'd say a large section of Labour inclined voters were exceptionally keen to turnout and prevent anyone else getting in
    Yes I would say that is an accurate assessment.

(Who says PB's political analysis lacks intellectual rigour?)
    And who says these PCCs and their elections are a waste? We have seen democracy in action and prople have taken an interest. In this case they have voted against UKIP.
    In the recent and forthcoming by election can we say the public were/are voting for 'UKIP'?
    They are faced with a sitting MP who has switched. They are not voting for an insurgent UKIP candidate.

I was (flippantly, I grant) responding to @Isam's "it was Lab supporters voting for Lab" scything analysis rather than a comment on the PCCs.

But it is a good point. I am of course hugely in favour of extending the democratic process and participation and the PCCs are one such instance of this. People are just getting used to the fact that they have this power and I'm sure as and when they get used to it, turnout will rise.

There are of course those who say that no one wants them and the previous PAs were fine. I disagree but I can see that it is a new dynamic and as such, needs some getting used to.
    True.
    I was not getting at you BTW... the additional though just came to me. In nthis nparticular ncase of coursenitncame to a choice of supporting UKIPnin nwhat was ntheir emotive campaign.
    They chose not to. UKIP are divisive and careless about who they sling there hate at and are only popular with the sector that is willing to hate. It throws up results like this.
    I cannot say I am surprised though that Labour want to cheer UKIP on if it could harm the tories.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Labour should feel humbled by the incredible loyalty of voters whose interest they have failed to advocate or protect for years now. Instead, Labour will take it for granted. At some stage the dam will break though.

For UKIP, expectation management is clearly a problem. And if the forgotten. left-behind working class is to be a genuine target, there may have to be some thinking about policy beyond the EU and immigration. Whether the party's ex-Tory leadership can do that is open to question.

"For UKIP, expectation management is clearly a problem."

Why is that? Did they come out and say they thought they'd win?
    It's a nonsense. Do you want the fiver at 5-2 ? (Excuse the stake I'd have offered more if I didn't get on with Laddies...)
    11/4 is a deal
    Sure +£5/-£13.75 it is then.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited October 2014

Pulpstar said:

I had Labour by 5%. I am guessing @Pong of this parish will have won.

Kyle4 had Lab 19.2% as well i think.

I went for LAB by 11.98 pity there wasnt an ARSE so i could compare my prediction with JackW.
    If I had internet connection that day I would have won the competition.

You're all lucky that Scotland is such a backwards country you can go miles without a mobile signal and superfast broadband round here is 33 Kbps.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Well, that is enough from me for today. I am off out tonight (Halloween Ball) and I have an appointment shortly for my hair and nails.

The avatar wedgies shall not be worn tonight. I shall, however, have my pointy hat and broom ;-)

Have fun....
  • Options
    Socrates said:

This is why Labour love postal and proxy voting so much. Also why they love Commonwealth citizens' voting in the UK: they struggle with the natives, so allow foreigners to vote who they can run up the tally with.

If those Commonwealth citizens pay tax to the UK Exchequer (or have paid taxes if retired), why not?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

The Rotherham subsample is interesting mind - assuming the Lib Dems run a candidate there then UKIP could be in with a shot come next May.

This was an election where you would have thought UKIP voters were relatively highly motivated and Labour voters were not. If they didn't win this time on a lowish turnout, why would UKIP win at a general election?
    I'd say a large section of Labour inclined voters were exceptionally keen to turnout and prevent anyone else getting in

And who says these PCCs and their elections are a waste? We have seen democracy in action and prople have taken an interest. In this case they have voted against UKIP.
    In the recent and forthcoming by election can we say the public were/are voting for 'UKIP'?
    They are faced with a sitting MP who has switched. They are not voting for an insurgent UKIP candidate.

I was (flippantly, I grant) responding to @Isam's "it was Lab supporters voting for Lab" scything analysis rather than a comment on the PCCs.

But it is a good point. I am of course hugely in favour of extending the democratic process and participation and the PCCs are one such instance of this. People are just getting used to the fact that they have this power and I'm sure as and when they get used to it, turnout will rise.

There are of course those who say that no one wants them and the previous PAs were fine. I disagree but I can see that it is a new dynamic and as such, needs some getting used to.
    Well I am surprised you saw it as that but hey ho
    I know what you meant...but as a raw statement I thought it quite amusing:

"I'd say a large section of Labour inclined voters were exceptionally keen to turnout and prevent anyone else getting in"

well of course that applies to every election under any circumstances for all parties, but yes, I know what you meant...

chillax
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    SYPCC by-election cost around £1.66m. There were 150,361 votes cast. So that's almost £11 per vote. Stupid policy from the Tories.
  • Options
    @isam Sent you a message through vanilla to confirm.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Ninoinoz said:

MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell retweeted
    Keith Stevens ‏@Belfastbrit 7m7 minutes ago
    @afneil labour claim 80% postal votes. Why are you not looking into this absurdity? 80% really? http://labli.st/1paHkxy

Just out of hospital and this is the news that greets me, really!

Yes, especially as 51% voted Labour last time.

According to TSE, the high postal vote is due to half term.

This means the 80% are disproportionately people with school age children.

I smell a rat.
    Who doesn't? Oh! TSE; he holds his nose; he can only bear the labour stink if it gives a smack to UKIP, no matter how crooked and fraudulent it looks.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014

SYPCC by-election cost around £1.66m. There were 150,361 votes cast. So that's almost £11 per vote. Stupid policy from the Tories.

For comparison, how much does a vote in a General Election 'cost'? (Feel free to give me the answer in fractions of a scrapped NHS computer system if you like)

Perhaps we should bin those as well if they're too expensive.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

By the way I'm guessing Rotherham is an aglomoration of Rotheram (Parliament), Rother Valley and one other ?)

I expect UKIP will have won in Rother Valley as certainly the areas I cycle through are quite white as opposed to the more "diverse" Rotherham proper constituency.

Wentworth and Dearne the other one?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell retweeted
    @afneil labour claim 80% postal votes. Why are you not looking into this absurdity? 80% really? http://labli.st/1paHkxy

I smell a rat.
    I smell a bad loser
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell retweeted

I smell a rat.
    You wouldn't if you've ever been on the Sheffield Parkway at rush hour.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

To quote Lord Darlington: You are a cynic, sir.

Democratic accountability has a value beyond price.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell retweeted

I smell a rat.
    I smell a bad loser
    Wait till the realise I voted by postal vote.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    The Rotherham result was Labour 42.6%, UKIP 40.4%, Conservative 11.1%, ED 5.9%. I don't know how that would divide between Rotherham and Rother Valley, but the likelihood is UKIP would lead in one of the constituencies.

Overall, the result was Labour 50.01%, UKIP 31.7%, Conservative 12.5%, ED 5.8%. Labour avoided a recount by 19 votes. Had it gone to a second round, I expect Labour would have won by c.55% to 45%, with UKIP ahead in Rotherham, and possibly Doncaster.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Screaming Eagles says 'Pretty vile smear ain't it. ' of a UKIP attack

He is right and its cheap nastiness like that that turns me off UKIP.
    The problem about the child sex cases etc are severe and the incidents horrible. But its sickening to see the UKIP bigots leaping all over it to smear their opponents.

Yes, TSE would never do that to, say, Catholics, in Nighthawks, for instance.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    TheWatcher - it won't be people on the dole, it will be the people in government jobs.
  • Options

Looks like a clear Labour win. Alan Billings was a very good candidate and I think Ed should be grateful to him.

They managed to alienate the people they needed with their nasty campaign.
    Yes, that's right. I just think Billings came across as much more reasonable.
    The whole tone was if you don't vote UKIP you're a paedo enabler.

As one of the parents of abused child said the other day. People forget that Rotherham hasn't exploded in race riots following recent events because people know it was a small minority.

Some in UKIP would have you believe all Pakis are paedos.
    Who exactly? Time to name names.
    There's a quote saying that "all Pakis are paedos" from an official UKIP source? Please link.

Or just the usual smearing and innuendo that passes for political debate these days.

Pretty vile smear ain't it.

Of course I'll be able to find a post from you condemning such a vile smear.

The former Labour MP admitted they didn't sort out the abuse issue in Rotherham because they were worried about losing voters from ethnic minorities, so I'm not sure alluding to something that is clearly true and well-documented is actually a vile smear.

Actually I'm starting to think that pointing out uncomfortable issues is actually considered "vile" even if it is completely true. The Tories and Labour seem to be refusing to highlight and deal with the abuse cases, until this changes there's absolutely nothing remotely smeary about saying that however right-on it makes you feel.
    So You think I think kids being raped is a price worth paying for continued Tory or Lab success.

Cheers.
    I've no idea what you think and never said that I did. Just as you don't know if UKIP supporters think "all pakis are peados".

However I think some people would honestly rather not think about the abuse cases at all if it stops UKIP getting in. I mean Labour who admitted that they swept it up under the carpet for years are now pleased that they have got their man re-elected even though they know that things are going to continue to be hushed up. What does that tell you exactly?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Charles said:

Rather than scrapping elections, persuade more people to vote.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I had Labour by 5%. I am guessing @Pong of this parish will have won.

Kyle4 had Lab 19.2% as well i think.

I went for LAB by 11.98 pity there wasnt an ARSE so i could compare my prediction with JackW.
    If I had internet connection that day I would have won the competition.

You're all lucky that Scotland is such a backwards country you can go miles without a mobile signal and superfast broadband round here is 33 Kbps.
    When I were a lad would have killed for 33kbps.
    Used to dial in on a Tuesday and get BBC homepage by following Friday

Kids Today dont know their born
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see @Shadsy still hasn't decided what to do with the Scottish constituency betting.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Amazing Labour supporters suddenly get shirty about public spending when it's on something they don't like. It seems to get re-branded as investment when it is one of their pet projects.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,114
    Ninoinoz said:

MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell retweeted

I smell a rat.
    Are you saying that postal votes are fraudulent or that Labour voting postal voters simply cared enough to vote.

As an aside I do have a postal vote and always use it. I think I would have been able to vote in 1 election in the past 10 years otherwise.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    It is possible that we have seen peak Kipper, Ukip has crashed and this is the first sign of that. If that is not the case and Ukip continue to prosper, this result is extraordinarily interesting in that it utterly scotches the notion that the Ukip vote consists solely or mainly of closet, or not so closet, race-obsessives and islam-haters. This could actually have been that rare thing, a good one for Ukip to lose.

• Options
    Maybe those most likely to need a postal vote are more likely to support a party that is going to help that demographic?
  • Options
    A win is a win, so Labour can be happy, but it's like the Conservatives celebrating holding Tunbridge Wells. The absence of a Lib Dem enabled them to win just enough votes in Sheffield to avoid a second round.

A UKIP win would have been great, but an increase in vote share of 20.2% is pretty solid. That is only partly explained by the English Democrat and Conservative vote shares dropping by 10% and 3% respectively. Outside of Sheffield, the UKIP vote was pretty encouraging.

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Whining about Postal Votes when losing is another example of UKIPs lack of fitness for any public office.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Charles said:

Amazing Labour supporters suddenly get shirty about public spending when it's on something they don't like. It seems to get re-branded as investment when it is one of their pet projects.
    Democracy? Urgh. Think how many Diversity Officers the money wasted could pay for!

£1.66m is the rounding error on a PFI interest payment for one of the previous governments white elephants.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    murali_s said:

O/T Warmest Haloween on record...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29851285

Global warming? What global warming?

A two and a half degree jump in the record is worthy of Bob Beamon....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    weejonnie said:

Barnsley: Labour share FALLS from 56% to 50.7%
    Doncaster: Labour share FALLS from 49% to 45.4%
    Sheffield: Labour share INCREASES from 51% to 57% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rotherham: Labour share FALLS from 51% to ?

Lib Dems?

Guess at 44-45%

• Options
    JohnOwls says ''Stupid policy from the Tories.'' -- it originated from Douglas Carswell.

No doubt when Carswell realises what a sickening den of anti democratic bigots he has jumped in to he will dive somewhere else.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Rotherham result was Labour 42.6%, UKIP 40.4%, Conservative 11.1%, ED 5.9%. I don't know how that would divide between Rotherham and Rother Valley, but the likelihood is UKIP would lead in one of the constituencies.

Overall, the result was Labour 50.01%, UKIP 31.7%, Conservative 12.5%, ED 5.8%. Labour avoided a recount by 19 votes. Had it gone to a second round, I expect Labour would have won by c.55% to 45%, with UKIP ahead in Rotherham, and possibly Doncaster.

PB Tories must be absolutely thrilled about coming a poor third, getting well under half the votes that UKIP received!

:)
  • Options
    chestnut said:

weejonnie said:

Sheffield: Labour share INCREASES from 51% to 57% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lib Dems?

Guess at 44-45%

42.6%.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

A win is a win, so Labour can be happy, but it's like the Conservatives celebrating holding Tunbridge Wells. The absence of a Lib Dem enabled them to win just enough votes in Sheffield to avoid a second round.

A UKIP win would have been great, but an increase in vote share of 20.2% is pretty solid. That is only partly explained by the English Democrat and Conservative vote shares dropping by 10% and 3% respectively. Outside of Sheffield, the UKIP vote was pretty encouraging.

Better or worse than you expected?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    edited October 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

It is possible that we have seen peak Kipper, Ukip has crashed and this is the first sign of that. If that is not the case and Ukip continue to prosper, this result is extraordinarily interesting in that it utterly scotches the notion that the Ukip vote consists solely or mainly of closet, or not so closet, race-obsessives and islam-haters. This could actually have been that rare thing, a good one for Ukip to lose.

Well exactly. My disdain for the tone of their election literature is well-documented on here.

If this marks a step towards formulating a broader based set of policies then so much the better.

As we have seen from the Green surge, there is absolutely room for a sensible NOTA party and if I were Doug, I would be trying to get Nige to lose the baggage and aim to become it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    BenM said:

Whining about Postal Votes when losing is another example of UKIPs lack of fitness for any public office.

You think postal vote fraud is part of the rough-and-tumble of jolly old politics, and it's just bad sportsmanship and big-girls-blousery to object to it (in any circumstances, never mind when it leads to a stolen election)?

Course you do, you're Labour. Good for you.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Sean_F said:

PB Tories must be absolutely thrilled about coming a poor third, getting well under half the votes that UKIP received!

I had them winning by 10%!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    S.O

" Labour should feel humbled by the incredible loyalty of voters whose interest they have failed to advocate or protect for years now. Instead, Labour will take it for granted. At some stage the dam will break though."

I'm sorry S.O but I don't agree with any of that. Voters are like investors and they vote on a future prospectus.They know what the Tories are like and more so the dismal UKIP. This is a vote for hope and Labour knows this to be the case. This is something they'll never take for granted because it's the fact that they give a damn that makes them Labour in the first place.

• Options

Sean_F said:

A bit worse. I'd have expected first round shares of something like Labour 47%, UKIP 34%.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited October 2014
    Yep Ella was great. Was lucky enough to see her and Duke E perform in Memphis - just magical and a marvellous sense of humour.
    Plato said:

I must get a copy of her version of Je ne regret rein.

I rather like Ella Fitzgerald - I wish Ms Monroe did better stuff - I tried her Greatest Hits to get I Want To Be Loved By You - and it was the only decent song on it.

Bobby Vee is a favourite of mine.

Financier said:

It is Edith Piaf for me - probably the result of too much misspent time in parts of Paris. More into the modern era I have a soft spot for Carla Bruni, but got to know her very well in her early years around Cap D'Antibes.

Plato said:

I've an album of Marlene Dietrich songs - she's so smokingly sultry.

I loved Jean Harlow.

Plato said:

Well quite. Though your avatar looks like Alistair Sim playing a St Trinian's role. I can see the confusion there - or @audreyanne‌ and Mrs Doubtfire.

@Beverley_C‌ and shoes is much clearer as a piss take.

Plato said:

I remain eternally perplexed that anyone other than a very recent newbie cannot know my gender. As if it mattered much.

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Would it be okay if these jobs were down mines instead? In Durham? Or Merthyr?

Mr Financier, that raises an interesting question for our Kipper friends. How are they going to square that circle? Clearly the current policy of insisting that claimants have a good reason for turning down jobs isn’t working, in your locality at least. Why not?

*she
    Yesterdays comment on something like the temptations of Lesbianism may have been a small clue
    That poster (or some iteration thereof) once fretted no end about my gender - which I guess is a diversion from their tiresome posts about whether people are following their betting tips.....
    Carlotta's avatar is actually Marie Dressler in Dinner at Eight!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Dressler
    Well spotted!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQNQqwFK-OM

While the world remembers Gable, Garbo, Crawford, Dietrich, Hepburn and Davis from the 1930s, Dressler was bigger than them all in the first half of the decade - and already dying from cancer when this was shot.....

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates said:

This is why Labour love postal and proxy voting so much. Also why they love Commonwealth citizens' voting in the UK: they struggle with the natives, so allow foreigners to vote who they can run up the tally with.

If those Commonwealth citizens pay tax to the UK Exchequer (or have paid taxes if retired), why not?
    The same reason that non-Commonwealth citizens that pay tax to the UK Exchequer don't: they haven't joined our nation via becoming a citizen yet.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Any result that makes Ed secure as Lab leader is thrilling for all Tories.

Rejoice. Rejoice. Rejoice.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    weejonnie said:

Lib Dems?

Nothing surprising about that. Lib Dem voters in Sheffield are very left-wing in general and would have transferred to Labour.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

A bit worse. I'd have expected first round shares of something like Labour 47%, UKIP 34%.
    Pretty encouraging in that you did worse than anticipated

OK thanks

Come on give us LAB bods something to cheer its been a crap week in the polls.
  • Options
    @isam Check your messages - some analysis has lead me to an absolute corker of a bet.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

weejonnie said:

Lib Dems?

Nothing surprising about that. Lib Dem voters in Sheffield are very left-wing in general and would have transferred to Labour.
    Now they are not.

They are what would be called Orange bookers.
  • Options

It's not like they set fire to that amount of cash! Almost all of that money will have been spent locally, ending up in pockets of ordinary people acting as polling station clerks, on wages for counting staff, or in local businesses one way or another.

It's quite Keynesian in that sense, a mini local stimulus of sorts.

There are good reasons to think electing police commissioners is a daft idea, but cost is not high on the list really.
  • Options

murali_s said:

The local 'weather' in Gravesend is not in the least related to 'global' warming which according to the satellite record has not risen for 18 years. It might perhaps be something to do with clear skys. I wonder if the BBC will be peddling the night time temperastures? Indeed I wonder if they will be taking a look at the siteing of the recording equipment and the effects of urban heat island effects?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

OK thanks

But better in the actual elections
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    I think the most hilarious thing about all this are all those Tories one here who have spent the last two years tirelessly regurgitating 'vote UKIP get Labour' who are either applauding a Labour victory or indeed actually voted Labour.

Clearly they would rather see UKIP beaten than win anything themselves because a defeat for Labour today would have been another crushing blow for Miliband and another step towards Tory survival but instead here they are cheering on their main opponents.

Putting aside they clearly have little clue how to win elections anymore one has to wonder if they actually want to win them and instead are subconsciously preparing themselves to become also rans in elections?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

UKIP's performance in by-elections this year has seen increases in vote share of 14.5%, (Wythenshawe and Sale East), 22% Newark, 35% (Heywood & Middleton) and now 20.2%. Then of course, there's Clacton, but no comparison can be made with 2010.

I'd like us to do *even better* of course, but these are highly satisfactory results.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

murali_s said:

The local 'weather' in Gravesend is not in the least related to 'global' warming which according to the satellite record has not risen for 18 years. It might perhaps be something to do with clear skys. I wonder if the BBC will be peddling the night time temperastures? Indeed I wonder if they will be taking a look at the siteing of the recording equipment and the effects of urban heat island effects?
    Rubbish.

Weather is climate when it's warm, everyone knows that. Just don't mention it when it's cold...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Roger said:

This is a vote for hope and Labour knows this to be the case. This is something they'll never take for granted because it's the fact that they give a damn that makes them Labour in the first place.

We can all share hope - that one part of Labour's core vote stops committing rape on an industrial scale on the young children of another part of its core vote.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

You think postal vote fraud is part of the rough-and-tumble of jolly old politics, and it's just bad sportsmanship and big-girls-blousery to object to it (in any circumstances, never mind when it leads to a stolen election)?

What postal vote fraud?

How did your prediction work out?
  • Options
    Yes, the third constituency is Wentworth and Dearne. The 2 Dearne wards are under Barnsley local authority though. So I would expect Labour to have carried the constituency overall as they did in May 2014 (a 200 votes UKIP lead in Wentworth overturned by a 2000± Lab lead in Dearne)

Pulpstar said:

By the way I'm guessing Rotherham is an aglomoration of Rotheram (Parliament), Rother Valley and one other ?)

I expect UKIP will have won in Rother Valley as certainly the areas I cycle through are quite white as opposed to the more "diverse" Rotherham proper constituency.

Wentworth and Dearne the other one?
  • Options

It's not like they set fire to that amount of cash! Almost all of that money will have been spent locally, ending up in pockets of ordinary people acting as polling station clerks, on wages for counting staff, or in local businesses one way or another.

It's quite Keynesian in that sense, a mini local stimulus of sorts.

There are good reasons to think electing police commissioners is a daft idea, but cost is not high on the list really.
    There's the hit to party funds to consider. Postal votes don't grow on trees.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

OK thanks

An increase of 20% is pretty encouraging. An increase of 22% would be even more encouraging.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

What postal vote fraud?

How did your prediction work out?
    The postal vote fraud diametrically opposite the squirrel you are pointing at.

I think I said Ukip win by 3.odd%, why?

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    The only disappointing thing is that we didn't get the 2nd preference votes - it might have told us whether the Tories would vote tactically for UKIP - which has a great bearing on GE2015 in the North of England.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

AndyJS said:

weejonnie said:

Lib Dems?

Now they are not.

They are what would be called Orange bookers.
    I thought that was in Clegg's constituency. There are/were plenty of LD voters in the other Sheffield seats (in 2010).

For example the LDs almost won Sheffield Central at the last election and I can't believe many of those voters are Orange bookers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

UKIP's performance in by-elections this year has seen increases in vote share of 14.5%, (Wythenshawe and Sale East), 22% Newark, 35% (Heywood & Middleton) and now 20.2%. Then of course, there's Clacton, but no comparison can be made with 2010.

I'd like us to do *even better* of course, but these are highly satisfactory results.

Bar charts? Anyone for Bar Charts? :)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/523094299005956097
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/523095042186289152
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Latest news — Labour was over 50% in South Yorks by 19 votes out of 148,082.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    antifrank said:

Doesn't someone have to ask for a recount?

No. The Returning Officer can order a recount on his/her own initiative, without waiting for the candidates to request one, if necessary. The first recount in Croydon Central in 2005 (there was a margin of 75 between the top two candidates and initially a discrepancy of c.20 between the counted total and the verification total) was done so.

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whine. Whine. Whine.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    edited October 2014
    maaarsh said:

murali_s said:

Rubbish.

Weather is climate when it's warm, everyone knows that. Just don't mention it when it's cold...
    Weather for West Midlands (temperature) from BBC Weather site:

Today 19 degrees
    Tomorrow 14
    Sunday 13
    Monday 10
    Tuesday 9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655603
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Bollocks, second preferences would have been very revealing. I suspect UKIP to have won in Rotherham convincingly on second preferences, and some analysis I've done as a result of this may well feature in @Antifrank's piece this afternoon...
  • Options
    If I were the returning officer in South Yorkshire I would have asked for a recount even if none of the candidates had requested one.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Don't you mean:

Ed, Ed Wine
    Stay close to me
    Don't let me be alone
    It's tearin' apart
    My true, blue heart
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The contrast between results in Sheffield confirm a trend that was seen in the European elections: UKIP generally do much worse in major cities than they do in working-class towns, even when said cities are very white and working-class.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

0.012%
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

I think the most hilarious thing about all this are all those Tories one here who have spent the last two years tirelessly regurgitating 'vote UKIP get Labour' who are either applauding a Labour victory or indeed actually voted Labour.

Clearly they would rather see UKIP beaten than win anything themselves because a defeat for Labour today would have been another crushing blow for Miliband and another step towards Tory survival but instead here they are cheering on their main opponents.

Putting aside they clearly have little clue how to win elections anymore one has to wonder if they actually want to win them and instead are subconsciously preparing themselves to become also rans in elections?

I am certainly not applauding a Lab victory and who of the known PB Tories actually voted Labour in this election? I concede there was a danger of Ed feeling he'd have to resign if Lab were defeated in the PCC elections but a Lab victory should make that less likely. Ed being in charge can only assist the Tories as well as all of Labours other opponents including Ukip.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The contrast between results in Sheffield confirm a trend that was seen in the European elections: UKIP generally do much worse in major cities than they do in working-class towns, even when said cities are very white and working-class.

No surprise really. People with liberal views are always going to choose to live in Sheffield rather than Barnsley, Doncaster or Rotherham.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Watford remains and a key seat and the government has had its policy thrown out by brave Watford allotment-holders.Get back in your jar,Pickles.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/oct/31/landmark-legal-victory-allotments-redevelopment-farm-terrace-plot-watford-eric-pickles-housing
  • Options
    Tories are now 6.2 to win a majority with Betfair.

If it goes much higher it'll start to represent value IMO.

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.101416490
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

No surprise really. People with liberal views are always going to choose to live in Sheffield rather than Barnsley, Doncaster or Rotherham.
    The bit of Sheffield near where I am sat could be described as working class, but it isn't very white. I suspect Labour will have got about 90% of the votes from Spital Hill on a turnout of perhaps 6% or so.

"Diverse areas"

Burngreave Ward 2014 local election results

UK Independence Party (UKIP): Shane Harper
    Votes: 894

Labour Party: Talib Hussain
    Votes: 3193

Electorate: 15,644
    Rejected votes: 22
    Turn out: 33.8%

Darnall Ward 2014 local election results

Labour Party: Mazher Iqbal
    Votes: 2824

"WWC area"

Mosborough Ward 2014 local election results

Labour Party: Isobel Bowler
    Votes: 1844

UK Independence Party (UKIP): Joanne Elizabeth Parkin
    Votes: 1414
  • Options
    BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    OK you win, Lab are on a roll.

Shame Mori don't accept postal returns in their Scottish polls, don't you agree?

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    *jealous face*

I saw Alice Cooper at Hammersmith Odeon on his first tour to the UK back in about 83. He beheaded his guitarist with a guillotine...

I'm not sure it matches yours. Was backstage with Hawkwind too. That was oddly Spinal Tap.
    Financier said:

Yep Ella was great. Was lucky enough to see her and Duke E perform in Memphis - just magical and a marvellous sense of humour.

Plato said:

snip

Financier said:

Plato said:

I loved Jean Harlow.

Plato said:

Well quite. Though your avatar looks like Alistair Sim playing a St Trinian's role. I can see the confusion there - or @audreyanne‌ and Mrs Doubtfire.

Plato said:

I remain eternally perplexed that anyone other than a very recent newbie cannot know my gender. As if it mattered much.

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Mr Financier, that raises an interesting question for our Kipper friends. How are they going to square that circle? Clearly the current policy of insisting that claimants have a good reason for turning down jobs isn’t working, in your locality at least. Why not?

*she
    Yesterdays comment on something like the temptations of Lesbianism may have been a small clue
    That poster (or some iteration thereof) once fretted no end about my gender - which I guess is a diversion from their tiresome posts about whether people are following their betting tips.....

Well spotted!

While the world remembers Gable, Garbo, Crawford, Dietrich, Hepburn and Davis from the 1930s, Dressler was bigger than them all in the first half of the decade - and already dying from cancer when this was shot.....

• Options
    BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Why do Labour always seem to do better via postal votes than by people turning up at the ballot box?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

0.012%
    SF won Fermanagh & S. Tyrone by 0.0085% in 2010 (4 votes).

LD Mark Oaten won Winchester by 0.0032% (2 votes) in 1997 (but result declared void and new by-election called, which he again won but this time by a massive 40%).
  • Options
    There doesn't seem to have been an official announcement yet re. the South Yorks contest. BBC News website doesn't have anything on the results.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Labour has far more strength in the "diverse" areas of Sheffield than it does in the WWC bits.

(It is still ahead in WWC areas though I'll admit).
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited October 2014

murali_s said:

Across the world, the "warm" records to "cold" records ratio is about the 3:1. In a steady state system we would expect that to be 1:1.

Anyway, I'm not going to convince the PB Tories that anthropogenic global warming is a real and present fact.

With regards your night time temperature assertions, you are wrong my friend. Night time temperatures were quite mild last night hence why we have smashed daytime temperatures across vast swathes of Central and Eastern England. The uppers (temperatures at 850 HPa) are incredibly warm for the time of year.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs092.gif

Of course, I know the difference between weather and climate. There is a good possibility that winter 14/15 will be colder than normal for the UK - that doesn't mean AGW isn't happening - it is.

The sceptics like to chery pick this 18 year period - it's quite disengenous. Global temperature increase may have slowed over these 18 years but the trend is still UP (i.e. not DOWN or even FLAT).

Out of interest, 2014 is likely to be the warmest year ever recorded according to NOAA. Anyway, as far as the PB Tory loons are concerned, the facts are really not of importance when it comes to a good story.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/9
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm a huge supporter of PCCs. It will take time for voters to get used to the notion. And perversely I don't mind low turn-outs - it means residents aren't as bothered as they claim to be.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

True.
    I was not getting at you BTW... the additional though just came to me. In nthis nparticular ncase of coursenitncame to a choice of supporting UKIPnin nwhat was ntheir emotive campaign.
    They chose not to. UKIP are divisive and careless about who they sling there hate at and are only popular with the sector that is willing to hate. It throws up results like this.
    I cannot say I am surprised though that Labour want to cheer UKIP on if it could harm the tories.
  • Options

BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    Why do Labour always seem to do better via postal votes than by people turning up at the ballot box?
    Labour weighs the vote in 'diverse' areas of Sheffield.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The distinction between towns and cities can be a bit arbitrary. Places like Rotherham, Dudley, Oldham and Doncaster, are big enough to be cities.

• Options
    AndyJS said:
    Lay Labour if you haven't already done so would be my advice.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Bollocks, second preferences would have been very revealing. I suspect UKIP to have won in Rotherham convincingly on second preferences, and some analysis I've done as a result of this may well feature in @Antifrank's piece this afternoon...
    My guess is that UKIP would lead c.54/46 in Rotherham, had second preferences been taken into account.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    I was being entertained by the Chairman of P&G or else would never have got tickets. Best fun though was linking up with a jazz band in New Orleans in a club - I used to hit the keys a bit and sing a bit with our band at uni - was a great night and day - in that order. The strippers (and very nice they were too as my memory serves me) walked along the top of the bar and served the drinks.
    Plato said:

*jealous face*

I saw Alice Cooper at Hammersmith Odeon on his first tour to the UK back in about 83. He beheaded his guitarist with a guillotine...

I'm not sure it matches yours. Was backstage with Hawkwind too. That was oddly Spinal Tap.

Financier said:

Plato said:

snip

Financier said:

Plato said:

I loved Jean Harlow.

Plato said:

Plato said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

?

*she

Well spotted!

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

Labour has far more strength in the "diverse" areas of Sheffield than it does in the WWC bits.

Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't you say that they do better in the WWC areas of Sheffield than they do in similar WWC towns?

It's something that's replicated in most cities too. Those "Revolt on the Right" authors put one of the Liverpool constituencies near the top of their list of UKIP-friendly seats, purely because it's very deprived and over 90% white, but in actual fact UKIP came in well below their national average in Liverpool in the European elections.
  • Options
    80 % postal votes! Labour has reduced British democracy to a farce.
  • Options
    O/T:

The concert I most wished I'd been at was Japan's November 1982 performance at the Hammersmith Odeon which formed the basis of their 1983 live album Oil On Canvas:

http://thequietus.com/articles/12875-japan-oil-on-canvas
    Plato said:

*jealous face*

Financier said:

Plato said:

snip

Financier said:

Plato said:

I loved Jean Harlow.

Plato said:

Plato said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

*she

Well spotted!

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

The distinction between towns and cities can be a bit arbitrary. Places like Rotherham, Dudley, Oldham and Doncaster, are big enough to be cities.

I think Danny565 is referring to Core Cities. I wrote about these in the summer:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/core-cities-labours-reservoir.html

Given a second chance, I'd definitely want to revisit this piece now to consider how UKIP fit into this.
  • Options

BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Whine. Whine. Whine.
    I think that is one of those questions like "what is the square root of 1 million?" to which we'll just never know the answer.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't you say that they do better in the WWC areas of Sheffield than they do in similar WWC towns?

It's something that's replicated in most cities too. Those "Revolt on the Right" authors put one of the Liverpool constituencies near the top of their list of UKIP-friendly seats, purely because it's very deprived and over 90% white, but in actual fact UKIP came in well below their national average in Liverpool in the European elections.
    UKIP certainly underperform in the sorts of cities that shifted heavily against the Conservatives from the 1980s onwards eg Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited October 2014

80 % postal votes! Labour has reduced British democracy to a farce.

If postal voting increases turnout at elections, then it is surely a good thing. I would even extend to other channels e.g. the internet.

If you are insinuating something, I'm sure the authorities would like to know...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, they do a bit - UKIP support is strongest in white areas NEAR to high immigration places I think, and outside the more liberal big cities.

But my point is the more diverse areas are better yet for Labour than the WWC areas.

I've placed a UKIP bet off the back of this PCC to back this lot up that I think is good value.

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    How d'ya like them apples, you grubby little kippers.

Now let's see what the Tories are made of in Rochester.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Good afternoon, everyone.

It's a good job the postal voting system's so robust.
This discussion has been closed.