Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After yesterday’s dramatic Scottish polls LAB braces itself

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Omnium said:

These postal votes seem very dubious to me. Completely agree with the comments below that we should dramatically curtail the system.

Someone last night suggested multiple voting by a 'Mr Ali', and upset the very 'right on' Reggie/Bobajob/Boy Scout.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Pulpstar said:

This result has probably saved Ed Miliband's job.

Excellent!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Good result for Labour in the circumstances, there's not much UKIP can take from the results apart from pushing Labour close in Rotherham maybe.

Also worth remembering that UKIP were favourites to win for a time with William Hill only a few days ago.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    The Rotherham subsample is interesting mind - assuming the Lib Dems run a candidate there then UKIP could be in with a shot come next May.

But perhaps 5-2 is about right.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I live and learn. Is there anything you don't know? I'm very impressed already.

I recall Killer Cucumbers.

Plato said:

Well quite. Though your avatar looks like Alistair Sim playing a St Trinian's role. I can see the confusion there - or @audreyanne‌ and Mrs Doubtfire.

@Beverley_C‌ and shoes is much clearer as a piss take.

Plato said:

I remain eternally perplexed that anyone other than a very recent newbie cannot know my gender. As if it mattered much.

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Would it be okay if these jobs were down mines instead? In Durham? Or Merthyr?

Low paid jobs are unskilled ones because we have people either too stupid or too lazy to get higher paying ones. It was always thus.

I’m replying to a couple of eaerlier comments; sadly to reply direcdtly takes the post over the word limit.
    Mr Felix’ comment about “millions of new jobs” doesn’t take into account that that headline figure obscures the fact that too many of these jobs are low-wage or zero-hours contracts, or, worse, both. It is to be hoped that the Government will do something about ZHC’s but time is running out before the election.

Mr Financier, that raises an interesting question for our Kipper friends. How are they going to square that circle? Clearly the current policy of insisting that claimants have a good reason for turning down jobs isn’t working, in your locality at least. Why not?

Plato seems to me to be somewhat misanthropic. Last night he declared he liked to blow raspberries in the face of people who don't share his misanthropic humour. Today he says the poor are thick. I can only presume he is rich and employed in a wonderfully well paid job, and deserves every penny. What job do you have Plato?
    *she
    Yesterdays comment on something like the temptations of Lesbianism may have been a small clue
    That poster (or some iteration thereof) once fretted no end about my gender - which I guess is a diversion from their tiresome posts about whether people are following their betting tips.....
    Carlotta's avatar is actually Marie Dressler in Dinner at Eight!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Dressler
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

Echoes of Darlington 1983?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlington_by-election,_1983
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    NIN22 said:

Good Lord, what would it take for people in the area to vote against Labour in a PCC election if not this child abuse scandal :/

No wonder Labour treat their voters with utter contempt. They just keep coming back for more.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    edited October 2014

Plato said:

Well quite. Though your avatar looks like Alistair Sim playing a St Trinian's role. I can see the confusion there - or @audreyanne‌ and Mrs Doubtfire.

Plato said:

I remain eternally perplexed that anyone other than a very recent newbie cannot know my gender. As if it mattered much.

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Low paid jobs are unskilled ones because we have people either too stupid or too lazy to get higher paying ones. It was always thus.

I’m replying to a couple of eaerlier comments; sadly to reply direcdtly takes the post over the word limit.
    Mr Felix’ comment about “millions of new jobs” doesn’t take into account that that headline figure obscures the fact that too many of these jobs are low-wage or zero-hours contracts, or, worse, both. It is to be hoped that the Government will do something about ZHC’s but time is running out before the election.

Mr Financier, that raises an interesting question for our Kipper friends. How are they going to square that circle? Clearly the current policy of insisting that claimants have a good reason for turning down jobs isn’t working, in your locality at least. Why not?

Plato seems to me to be somewhat misanthropic. Last night he declared he liked to blow raspberries in the face of people who don't share his misanthropic humour. Today he says the poor are thick. I can only presume he is rich and employed in a wonderfully well paid job, and deserves every penny. What job do you have Plato?
    *she
    Yesterdays comment on something like the temptations of Lesbianism may have been a small clue
    That poster (or some iteration thereof) once fretted no end about my gender - which I guess is a diversion from their tiresome posts about whether people are following their betting tips.....

Well spotted!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQNQqwFK-OM

While the world remembers Gable, Garbo, Crawford, Dietrich, Hepburn and Davis from the 1930s, Dressler was bigger than them all in the first half of the decade - and already dying from cancer when this was shot.....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Ah, shame cultural sensitivities don't extend to dead South African women...

"TheScreamingEagles •

"He should have used the defence "who hasn't got pissed on Valentine's Day and shot his load all over his girlfriend" defence.

He'd have been found not guilty months ago "
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Suspect Jimmy Saville would win in SY with a red rosette on.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh · 1 min1 minute ago
    Lab source: "Farage sd he was putting his tanks on our lawn. We took Ukip on + won. Let's see if Cameron can do same in Rochester"

As spin lines go, this seems pretty reasonable to me.

It's effectively an invitation to Labour voters to vote UKIP. I'm not sure that's strategically a wise move from Labour's point of view.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Rotherham subsample is interesting mind - assuming the Lib Dems run a candidate there then UKIP could be in with a shot come next May.

This was an election where you would have thought UKIP voters were relatively highly motivated and Labour voters were not. If they didn't win this time on a lowish turnout, why would UKIP win at a general election?
  • Options

Plato said:

Plato said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

*she

Well spotted!

While the world remembers Gable, Garbo, Crawford, Dietrich, Hepburn and Davis from the 1930s, Dressler was bigger than them all in the first half of the decade - and already dying from cancer when this was shot.....
    And Carlotta Vance was her character's name!

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Amazingly in Sheffield 4000 MORE voters voted Labour than last time!
  • Options
    So I've made 60p on this election, how has everyone else done ?
  • Options
    isam said:

"TheScreamingEagles •

"He should have used the defence "who hasn't got pissed on Valentine's Day and shot his load all over his girlfriend" defence.

Yes Mary Whitehouse.

I'd have made the joke regardless of her nationality or skin colour.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Surely this isn't possible, after all noone votes Labour, right? (Despite a mean lead above all other parties in national opinion polls of course)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,839

Omnium said:

These postal votes seem very dubious to me. Completely agree with the comments below that we should dramatically curtail the system.

Someone last night suggested multiple voting by a 'Mr Ali', and upset the very 'right on' Reggie/Bobajob/Boy Scout.
    Equally unhappy with multiple voting by 'Mr Smythe-Wooster'.

Electoral fraud should carry a huge prison sentence in my view.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

This was an election where you would have thought UKIP voters were relatively highly motivated and Labour voters were not. If they didn't win this time on a lowish turnout, why would UKIP win at a general election?
    I'd say a large section of Labour inclined voters were exceptionally keen to turnout and prevent anyone else getting in
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

You're probably right - what price are Labour here ?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited October 2014
    weejonnie said:

antifrank said:

This was an election where you would have thought UKIP voters were relatively highly motivated and Labour voters were not.....

The congregation Labour voters always support their church party whether right or wrong.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    weejonnie said:

What is amazing about it ? They don't read the posts of some idiots on pb ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Have the BBC given up on covering he SY PCC election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-29837315

No updates for 2 hours...
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Surely this isn't possible, after all noone votes Labour, right? (Despite a mean lead above all other parties in national opinion polls of course)

Love it.

'PCC elections are a complete waste of time and money, except for when the Labour candidate wins'.
  • Options
    TGOHF

May I ask, were you so bullish about a Labour victory earlier this week? I only ask because many on here, including me, thought this was to be an easy Ukip win
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

weejonnie said:

antifrank said:

This was an election where you would have thought UKIP voters were relatively highly motivated and Labour voters were not.....

The congregation Labour voters always support their church party whether right or wrong.

Doesn't seem to be happening down here in Rochester and Strood.
  • Options
    I've an album of Marlene Dietrich songs - she's so smokingly sultry.

I loved Jean Harlow.

Plato said:

Plato said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

*she

Well spotted!

• Options
    Ed is surely safe until 2015!
  • Options
    Richard

I would interpret it as the old scouting phrase: "come on and have a go if you think you are hard enough"
  • Options

isam said:

"TheScreamingEagles •

Yes Mary Whitehouse.

What a guy!
  • Options
    Margot Asquith: "The t is silent, as in Harlow."
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Echoes of Darlington 1983?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlington_by-election,_1983
    I voted in that by-election! It was my first time.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

1/3 - right now that looks like decent value I'd have thought.

That gives me an excuse to plug my Labour battleground post again for this afternoon's readers:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-labour-battleground-in-october-2014.html
  • Options

Ed is surely safe until 2015!

Yes @ 1/7

Will Ed Miliband lead Labour into next general election? Pending £160ish

Ed should do his utmost to stay in the job, I quite agree.
  • Options
    Norm said:

weejonnie said:

antifrank said:

Doesn't seem to be happening down here in Rochester and Strood.
    That far south, they are obviously being corrupted by the influence of Beelzebub's minions the Tories
  • Options
    Perhaps if the existing PCC had defected to Ukip rather than resigned they may have had a chance ?
  • Options
    Just found a book review on Margot Asquith from the Telegraph - claiming the story is a myth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/11193714/Meet-Margot-Asquith-aprime-ministers-wife-who-was-more-vilified-than-Cherie....html
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    edited October 2014
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I'd say a large section of Labour inclined voters were exceptionally keen to turnout and prevent anyone else getting in
    Yes I would say that is an accurate assessment.

(Who says PB's political analysis lacks intellectual rigour?)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Never in doubt IMO but the margin was surprisingly good for Labour
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    A result consistent with an alarming head and shoulders developing in the medium-term Ukip curve of UNS.Charts in this formation usually portend a correction if not impending doom looking possible around May next year with collapse to come for Ukip.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

@hallamfmnews: Labour's Alan Billings got 32867 votes in #Sheffield second is UKIP's Jack Clarkson with 14666 #sypcc

Lab win nailed on now.

I blame TSE!
    What?

I didn't vote Labour

I'm so happy that Sheffield has rejected UKIP.

But you're stuck with Labour...
    I know. But I have Nick Clegg as my MP.

So that's a bonus.
    If that's bonus, I'd hate to see your idea of a curse!
    Living in Essex.
    Oii, there was no call for that ;-)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2014
    Very slow in releasing the Rotherham numbers.

For the purpose of this election, isn't Rotherham an amalgamation of three HoC constituencies?

So, if it is close overall in the three combined, there's a pretty decent chance UKIP have won in one of them, isn't there?
  • Options

TGOHF

May I ask, were you so bullish about a Labour victory earlier this week? I only ask because many on here, including me, thought this was to be an easy Ukip win

I had Ukip by 6% in the prediction competition - shouldn't have overestimated the Kippers - they always fail unless its's a turncoat MP.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I would have to agree with Antifrank I am afraid. I think it is time for Ukip to be gracious in defeat.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Barnsley: Labour share FALLS from 56% to 50.7%
    Doncaster: Labour share FALLS from 49% to 45.4%
    Sheffield: Labour share INCREASES from 51% to 57% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rotherham: Labour share FALLS from 51% to ?

Lib Dems?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

NIN22 said:

Good Lord, what would it take for people in the area to vote against Labour in a PCC election if not this child abuse scandal :/

Well, considering that one of the allegations floating around was that community leaders would guarantee large block votes, to have a large postal ballot result must look just a touch dodgy?
    "They said I didn't have to fill in any details, just to sign my name at the bottom of the form," he says, smiling. "So I signed two."

He laughed as he told me he had no idea who was going to vote on his behalf, and whom they were going to vote for.

"I personally know 25 other people who did the same thing, lots of people just on this street, but everybody does it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8655697.stm

This is why Labour love postal and proxy voting so much. Also why they love Commonwealth citizens' voting in the UK: they struggle with the natives, so allow foreigners to vote who they can run up the tally with.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

That gives me an excuse to plug my Labour battleground post again for this afternoon's readers:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-labour-battleground-in-october-2014.html
    Not going to put the mortgage on it, but £60 to win £20 looks fair enough to me there.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    With reference to the Darlington by-election, here's the projected UK result [add about 0.8% for GB result] in 2015 if the same swings as occurred in 1983 take place:

Con 34.6% (-1.5%)
    Lab 19.7% (-9.3%)

Tory result looks plausible. It's a good job those Red Liberals will prop Ed up a bit...
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Love it.

'PCC elections are a complete waste of time and money, except for when the Labour candidate wins'.
    They are a waste of time and money whoever wins, in my humble view. They ought to be scrapped. They haven't caught on and politicising the Thin Blue Line is wrong.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    For TSE: Should I interpret the Sheffield vote as indicating possibly, just possibly, Clegg isn't as secure as you've indicated in the past? Or is that wishful thinking?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Has the full result been declared yet?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Sheffield: Labour share INCREASES from 51% to 57% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lib Dems?

Is the Hallam effect. UKIP really do repulse the voters of Sheffield Hallam.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Not going to put the mortgage on it, but £60 to win £20 looks fair enough to me there.
    You can have £60 to win £21 with me if you haven't already bet
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

And who says these PCCs and their elections are a waste? We have seen democracy in action and prople have taken an interest. In this case they have voted against UKIP.
    In the recent and forthcoming by election can we say the public were/are voting for 'UKIP'?
    They are faced with a sitting MP who has switched. They are not voting for an insurgent UKIP candidate.

• Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Have done so sorry >< !
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    weejonnie said:

Lib Dems?

Probably gone round the universities. The field is clear on the left with Green and LD standing down.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Years ago I visited Sheffield, but I didn't get to speak with anyone - I had been in a meeting in Bolton and was asked as a favour if I could look in at Sheffield Council on my way home to Bournemouth, as they had a problem with some of our gear there. I got there near 5pm, went up to the computer room, and asked "What is the trouble". No response from the person I was with. I looked round and found everybody had left including the person who had let me in, leaving me standing there alone.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Robert Kimbell retweeted
    Keith Stevens ‏@Belfastbrit 7m7 minutes ago
    @afneil labour claim 80% postal votes. Why are you not looking into this absurdity? 80% really? http://labli.st/1paHkxy

Just out of hospital and this is the news that greets me, really!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Have done so sorry >< !
    Ah and you would have still had £60 in your pocket as well

Offer is open to anyone else

In whatever size you want

@Antifrank interested?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    O/T Warmest Haloween on record...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29851285

Global warming? What global warming?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    chestnut said:

weejonnie said:

Lib Dems?

Probably gone round the universities. The field is clear on the left with Green and LD standing down.
    Could you have a green policeman?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

For TSE: Should I interpret the Sheffield vote as indicating possibly, just possibly, Clegg isn't as secure as you've indicated in the past? Or is that wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking as there was no Lib Dem candidate.

The other day I said Lab would win this election

I am even more certain that Clegg will retain Hallam comfortably.
  • Options
    If turnout decides what is a worthwhile vote or not then surely the Euro elections should be scrapped ?

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Great result for Labour! Lifts my gloom a bit!

Great to see UKIP squashed flat.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

NIN22 said:

Well, considering that one of the allegations floating around was that community leaders would guarantee large block votes, to have a large postal ballot result must look just a touch dodgy?
    "They said I didn't have to fill in any details, just to sign my name at the bottom of the form," he says, smiling. "So I signed two."

He laughed as he told me he had no idea who was going to vote on his behalf, and whom they were going to vote for.

"I personally know 25 other people who did the same thing, lots of people just on this street, but everybody does it."

This is why Labour love postal and proxy voting so much. Also why they love Commonwealth citizens' voting in the UK: they struggle with the natives, so allow foreigners to vote who they can run up the tally with.
    Indeed. That is why I am surprised that the tories did not close off that particular loophole instead of fooling around with constituency boundaries. They might have actually won that vote.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Sigh. Pop goes my lovely balloon...
  • Options

weejonnie said:

antifrank said:

You are implying that the UKIP tendency are not equally if not more prejudiced. That hardly seems to fit.
  • Options

Socrates said:

NIN22 said:

Indeed. That is why I am surprised that the tories did not close off that particular loophole instead of fooling around with constituency boundaries. They might have actually won that vote.
    Cameron is weak on anything where Labour might scream the "racist" card.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF

I had Ukip by 6% in the prediction competition - shouldn't have overestimated the Kippers - they always fail unless its's a turncoat MP.
    These could be wise and important words. Thank you for your reply
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    BenM said:

Great result for Labour! Lifts my gloom a bit!

Great to see UKIP squashed flat.

As much as I hate to see Labour winning, I'd have to agree with you ;)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

The Lib Dems are very active in the seat. I've had monthly newsletters from the Lib Dems.

The Tories have sent once since the Euros.

Labour have sent the square of bugger all
  • Options
    @isam I'll lay you £5 @ 5-2 on UKIP if you like though ^^;
  • Options
    While not taking away from Labour's victory, how wise is it to read too much into an election with only 10% turnout, and where only 20% of that vote was in person?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

"TheScreamingEagles •

Yes Mary Whitehouse.

What a guy!
    Well smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

http://www.youtube.com/
    watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0
  • Options
    Labour should feel humbled by the incredible loyalty of voters whose interest they have failed to advocate or protect for years now. Instead, Labour will take it for granted. At some stage the dam will break though.

For UKIP, expectation management is clearly a problem. And if the forgotten. left-behind working class is to be a genuine target, there may have to be some thinking about policy beyond the EU and immigration. Whether the party's ex-Tory leadership can do that is open to question.
  • Options
    I had Labour by 5%. I am guessing @Pong of this parish will have won.
  • Options
    Screaming Eagles says 'Pretty vile smear ain't it. ' of a UKIP attack

He is right and its cheap nastiness like that that turns me off UKIP.
    The problem about the child sex cases etc are severe and the incidents horrible. But its sickening to see the UKIP bigots leaping all over it to smear their opponents.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

While not taking away from Labour's victory, how wise is it to read too much into an election with only 10% turnout, and where only 20% of that vote was in person?

Labour voters are far less motivated than Kippers so I think its good for Labour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So I've made 60p on this election, how has everyone else done ?

About £10 up.

Should have ignored the negativity of last couple of days and stuck with the heart.

I am doing this now on most seats at GE2015
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    It is Edith Piaf for me - probably the result of too much misspent time in parts of Paris. More into the modern era I have a soft spot for Carla Bruni, but got to know her very well in her early years around Cap D'Antibes.
    Plato said:

I loved Jean Harlow.

Plato said:

Plato said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

*she

Well spotted!

• Options

Labour should feel humbled by the incredible loyalty of voters whose interest they have failed to advocate or protect for years now. Instead, Labour will take it for granted. At some stage the dam will break though.

Looks like it has in Scotland.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited October 2014
    I'm interested in the book but I assume Pong won with prediction of Labour win by 26.72%.

Can't believe so many people were predicting a Ukip win.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    edited October 2014

TOPPING said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

And who says these PCCs and their elections are a waste? We have seen democracy in action and prople have taken an interest. In this case they have voted against UKIP.
    In the recent and forthcoming by election can we say the public were/are voting for 'UKIP'?
    They are faced with a sitting MP who has switched. They are not voting for an insurgent UKIP candidate.

I was (flippantly, I grant) responding to @Isam's "it was Lab supporters voting for Lab" scything analysis rather than a comment on the PCCs.

But it is a good point. I am of course hugely in favour of extending the democratic process and participation and the PCCs are one such instance of this. People are just getting used to the fact that they have this power and I'm sure as and when they get used to it, turnout will rise.

There are of course those who say that no one wants them and the previous PAs were fine. I disagree but I can see that it is a new dynamic and as such, needs some getting used to.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

I'm interested in the book but I assume Pong won with prediction of Labour win by 26.72%.

Can't believe so many people were predicting a Ukip win.

I said at the time it was a great prediction.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

For UKIP, expectation management is clearly a problem. And if the forgotten. left-behind working class is to be a genuine target, there may have to be some thinking about policy beyond the EU and immigration. Whether the party's ex-Tory leadership can do that is open to question.

"For UKIP, expectation management is clearly a problem."

Why is that? Did they come out and say they thought they'd win?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Looks like it has in Scotland.

True. And it's because the SNP are a left of centre party these days.

• Options
    isam said:

It's a nonsense. Do you want the fiver at 5-2 ? (Excuse the stake I'd have offered more if I didn't get on with Laddies...)
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited October 2014

Looks like a clear Labour win. Alan Billings was a very good candidate and I think Ed should be grateful to him.

UKIP also overplayed their hand.

Take a look at their MEP and Rotherham candidate Twitter feed from last night.

They managed to alienate the people they needed with their nasty campaign.
    Yes, that's right. I just think Billings came across as much more reasonable.
    The whole tone was if you don't vote UKIP you're a paedo enabler.

As one of the parents of abused child said the other day. People forget that Rotherham hasn't exploded in race riots following recent events because people know it was a small minority.

Some in UKIP would have you believe all Pakis are paedos.
    "Some in UKIP would have you believe all Pakis are paedos."

Who exactly? Time to name names.
    Check out some Twitter feeds or the comment sections under the telegraph or the mail.

There's a quote saying that "all Pakis are paedos" from an official UKIP source? Please link.

Or just the usual smearing and innuendo that passes for political debate these days.
    I'll dig out the links over the weekend.

But it has been brought to my attention that one Kipper on this very board said that I was an establishment Tory and then said of Establishment Tories

"Establishment Tories and Establishment Labour have a symbiotic relationship - large numbers of their votes depend on a fear of the other.

So what neither want is the other to lose their heartland support.

And if that means thousands of children continue to be raped then that's deemed a price worth paying."

Pretty vile smear ain't it.

Of course I'll be able to find a post from you condemning such a vile smear.

The former Labour MP admitted they didn't sort out the abuse issue in Rotherham because they were worried about losing voters from ethnic minorities, so I'm not sure alluding to something that is clearly true and well-documented is actually a vile smear.

Actually I'm starting to think that pointing out uncomfortable issues is actually considered "vile" even if it is completely true. The Tories and Labour seem to be refusing to highlight and deal with the abuse cases, until this changes there's absolutely nothing remotely smeary about saying that however right-on it makes you feel pretending otherwise.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I was (flippantly, I grant) responding to @Isam's "it was Lab supporters voting for Lab" scything analysis rather than a comment on the PCCs.

But it is a good point. I am of course hugely in favour of extending the democratic process and participation and the PCCs are one such instance of this. People are just getting used to the fact that they have this power and I'm sure as and when they get used to it, turnout will rise.

There are of course those who say that no one wants them and the previous PAs were fine. I disagree but I can see that it is a new dynamic and as such, needs some getting used to.
    Well I am surprised you saw it as that but hey ho
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

I recently backed the Tories to take Twickenham.

Vince losing next year would cheer us both up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I had Labour by 5%. I am guessing @Pong of this parish will have won.

Kyle4 had Lab 19.2% as well i think.

I went for LAB by 11.98 pity there wasnt an ARSE so i could compare my prediction with JackW.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell retweeted
    @afneil labour claim 80% postal votes. Why are you not looking into this absurdity? 80% really? http://labli.st/1paHkxy

It must be their client vote, trapped on the dole, too unfit and lazy to walk to the polling booth.
  • Options

Looks like a clear Labour win. Alan Billings was a very good candidate and I think Ed should be grateful to him.

As one of the parents of abused child said the other day. People forget that Rotherham hasn't exploded in race riots following recent events because people know it was a small minority.

Check out some Twitter feeds or the comment sections under the telegraph or the mail.

There's a quote saying that "all Pakis are paedos" from an official UKIP source? Please link.

Or just the usual smearing and innuendo that passes for political debate these days.

But it has been brought to my attention that one Kipper on this very board said that I was an establishment Tory and then said of Establishment Tories

"Establishment Tories and Establishment Labour have a symbiotic relationship - large numbers of their votes depend on a fear of the other.

And if that means thousands of children continue to be raped then that's deemed a price worth paying."

The former Labour MP admitted they didn't sort out the abuse issue in Rotherham because they were worried about losing voters from ethnic minorities, so I'm not sure alluding to something that is clearly true and well-documented is actually a vile smear.

Actually I'm starting to think that pointing out uncomfortable issues is actually considered "vile" even if it is completely true. The Tories and Labour seem to be refusing to highlight and deal with the abuse cases, until this changes there's absolutely nothing remotely smeary about saying that however right-on it makes you feel.
    People seem more bothered about the way the truth is told than getting it told at all
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

It's a nonsense. Do you want the fiver at 5-2 ? (Excuse the stake I'd have offered more if I didn't get on with Laddies...)
    11/4 is a deal
  • Options

Actually I'm starting to think that pointing out uncomfortable issues is actually considered "vile" even if it is completely true. The Tories and Labour seem to be refusing to highlight and deal with the abuse cases, until this changes there's absolutely nothing remotely smeary about saying that however right-on it makes you feel.
    So You think I think kids being raped is a price worth paying for continued Tory or Lab success.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Indeed. I cannot think of a more peculiar result.

You are implying that the UKIP tendency are not equally if not more prejudiced. That hardly seems to fit.

No... I never said that. I said that (paraphrasing) socialism is a religion and like all religions it requires blind faith and obedience from its adherents no matter what happens.

• Options
    By the way I'm guessing Rotherham is an aglomoration of Rotheram (Parliament), Rother Valley and one other ?)

I expect UKIP will have won in Rother Valley as certainly the areas I cycle through are quite white as opposed to the more "diverse" Rotherham proper constituency.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

I recently backed the Tories to take Twickenham.

Vince losing next year would cheer us both up.
    Just down the road from me, so yes, that would perk me up somewhat. Well ok, I'd laugh like a drain...
  • Options
    I must get a copy of her version of Je ne regret rein.

I rather like Ella Fitzgerald - I wish Ms Monroe did better stuff - I tried her Greatest Hits to get I Want To Be Loved By You - and it was the only decent song on it.

Bobby Vee is a favourite of mine.
    Financier said:

It is Edith Piaf for me - probably the result of too much misspent time in parts of Paris. More into the modern era I have a soft spot for Carla Bruni, but got to know her very well in her early years around Cap D'Antibes.

Plato said:

I loved Jean Harlow.

Plato said:

Plato said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

*she

Well spotted!

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    MikeK said:

Robert Kimbell retweeted

Yes, especially as 51% voted Labour last time.

According to TSE, the high postal vote is due to half term.

This means the 80% are disproportionately people with school age children.

I smell a rat.
This discussion has been closed.