Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip gets its first MP – Douglas Carswell defects from the

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    If Ivan Henderson stands again for Labour he could do well. He won a seat from the Conservatives at the County Council elections. For Harwich though, not within the current constituency boundaries. He’s got quite a high profile locally though.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,157
    edited August 2014
    Patrick said:

SeanT

Out of interest why do you see this as being good for a Scottish YES?

I see it as making MIliband much more likely to be PM and the 'risk of a Tory PM' being much reduced. The Tory scare was always a YES selling point - it has diminished.

[edit} forgive the interjection: Quite, but it does depend how many moves the viewers look ahead. They could, in particular, think "oooh, that makes a Tory-UKIP pact even more likely". Or they can just look at EWNI as a whole and the increasing dominance of mid- to far-right-wing politics (as a non-SNP friend of mine commented recently), of which UKIP rise is a marker.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Sean_F said:

Presumably it hasn't just occurred to Carswell to do this. I wonder if UKIP have got any more of these saved up to release at an opportune time and keep their momentum going.

Austin Mitchell?

Isn't he standing down at GE2015?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Sean_F said:

I shouldn't be too pleased if I were Ed Milliband. Anything that raises UKIP's profile threatens Labour's hold on South Yorkshire.

Hmm.

still not convinced the timing on this was anything but crass. Leaving Labour to see the week out in Rotherham seemed much more sensible, given UKIP are probably the opposition in the seat and some of the surrounding ones.
  • Options

Carswell is the sort of politician we need more of, on both left and right. Decent, honest, hardworking, and independently minded. I may not agree with everything he says, but I like his honesty, especially his decision to put his job on the line.
    I hope he gets back in.

And he had the guts to let the voters approve his change of party. Impressive.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited August 2014
    Coral 4/7 ukip to win a seat at the GE
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Hugh said:

Boris should stand for the Tories!

That was my first thought too. Not too late to withdraw from Uxbridge...your party needs YOU!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    GIN1138 said:

I don't think it's at all a given that this is a Carswell/UKIP Hold.

Labour and Lib-Dems received very significant 16,000+ vote's in 2010.

You have to assume that out of 22,000+ votes that the Conservatives received a significant amount will go off to UKIP with Carswell, but there will be plenty who remain with the Tories as well, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clacton_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

There are many options here that look plausible to me:

1. UKIP/Carswell retins the seat.

2. With the Con/UKIP vote split and Labour's vote increased due to 2010 Lib's returning to Labour, Labour comes through the middle.

3. You get anti UKIP tactical voting from Lab and Lib's (there was some evidence of this happening in Newark) and the Conservative's retain the seat with Lab/Lib help.

I don't think this will be a "gimme" for UKIP.

Big chunks of Labour and Lib Dem voters from 2010 will switch to UKIP.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    AndyJS said:

I wonder if the UKIP plan is to hold the by-election a few days before the Tory conference. That would be Thursday 25th September, with the conference starting on Sunday 28th.

A few tweets suggesting the Conservatives move the writ, although they wouldn't want to be seen messing around.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    I do worry Carswell may be about to remind us all of Julian the Apostate. Clever, principled, likeable, tactically sound but ultimately failing in his strategic objective.

If Labour win in 2015, what will happen in the next election?

Either the Conservatives bounce back *or* UKIP usurp them. But if the latter happens it's unlikely they'll take over wholesale, and we'll have another Labour government.

On the other hand, if the Conservatives win in 2015, now much less likely, we'd have a referendum on the EU in 2017.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    JohnO said:

I imagine Carswell will romp the by-election (but the Tories will decide when it's held...perhaps sooner the better and get it out of the way), UKIP will have another bouncette....small earthquake in Clacton...and the caravan moves on. Annoying and distracting for us blues but hardly seismic. I will win by May 2015 bets with tim.

Technically not quite true. By-elections can be moved by anyone in the Commons, and although usually the party holding the seat is deferred to as a matter of courtesy (especially in the case of death), the threat of doing so has been used in the past when parties were dilatory in moving awkward ones. If the former MP is still alive and asks for a by-election on a particular date, I think it'd be quite hard to refuse. Wikipedia is accurate on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Parliamentary_by-elections

The governing parties can vote a proposal down, but it's embarrassing. It would be interesting to have it on October 2, the last day of the Tory conference and a few days after the UKIP conference.

As Richard N observes, he's not the most obvious defector, and we've wondered before why there weren't any. More to come, perhaps. I recall him as respected and serious, not one of nature's jokier people, and on the libertarian wing of the right.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    AndyJS said:

I wonder if the UKIP plan is to hold the by-election a few days before the Tory conference. That would be Thursday 25th September, with the conference starting on Sunday 28th.

It's the Tories that will decide the timing and move the writ notwithstanding Nick Palmer's useful clarification.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    SeanT said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

Hugh said:

What's that sound I hear? Ed Miliband p!ssing himself with laughter?

Sadly true as well...
    No. See below. Scotland.

Losing a good MP to UKIP is jolly bad news for Cameron.

Losing Scotland forever is catastrophic for Labour.

The latter is made more probable by the former.
    I'd be surprised if it happens - voters will always reward parties that stay united and punish those which don't. I have no strong views about Carswell either way - but he has made a big mistake today.
    He's only made a mistake if you see politics as being about parties and careers.

Carswell clearly believes getting out of the EU, and breaking the Westminster 'duopoly' is more important, in which case his timing is perfect, in terms of impact. He needs to win this by election to prove his point and now is definitely the right moment to do that.

And incidentally, if Carswell was "selfish" he wouldn't have resigned and forced a by-election. He could just have sat tight. But he didn't. As he has principles.
    I see it as a mistake because I'm a conservative supporter. I never said Carswell was "selfish". you seem to have made that up!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    Carnyx said:

Carswell is the sort of politician we need more of, on both left and right. Decent, honest, hardworking, and independently minded. I may not agree with everything he says, but I like his honesty, especially his decision to put his job on the line.
    I hope he gets back in.

And he had the guts to let the voters approve his change of party. Impressive.

IIRC the last MP to do that lost!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited August 2014
    SeanT said:

And incidentally, if Carswell was "selfish" he wouldn't have resigned and forced a by-election. He could just have sat tight. But he didn't. As he has principles.

I'm not saying he doesn't have principles but it's good strategy as well. A by-election win is a much lower bar for UKIP than a general election win, and clearing it will get people used to voting for him as a UKIP MP and dispirit the local Tory party in advance of 2015.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    Those bets on zero UKIP seats at the GE are suddenly looking very poor value
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Trust me to be away when the big news breaks. Welcome to UKIP Douglas Carswell.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Sean_F said:

I shouldn't be too pleased if I were Ed Milliband. Anything that raises UKIP's profile threatens Labour's hold on South Yorkshire.

Hmm.

still not convinced the timing on this was anything but crass. Leaving Labour to see the week out in Rotherham seemed much more sensible, given UKIP are probably the opposition in the seat and some of the surrounding ones.
    I can see the logic of it from UKIP's POV - they can now use Mr Carswell on both immigration and multi-culti - if they left it a week, they'd lose the airtime. Labour will be wriggling on a hook for ages after this week.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

If Ivan Henderson stands again for Labour he could do well. He won a seat from the Conservatives at the County Council elections. For Harwich though, not within the current constituency boundaries. He’s got quite a high profile locally though.

Sadly Lab are only 10/1, not 100 as I appear to have posted below!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Hugh said:

That was my first thought too. Not too late to withdraw from Uxbridge...your party needs YOU!
    Shouldn't stand, this really isn't the place for him.

But I do expect him to feature in the campaign, possibly in a big way. Hannan and Jenkin too.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    edited August 2014
    Fantastically splendid to see an MP who leaves the party he/she stood for at the previous election actually seek re-election under his/her new colours!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Hugh said:

I'd be very surprised that Boris would stand in Clacton and risk defeat.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Voters hate needless by elections as well, so there's bound to be an element of Carswell/UKIP and Conservatives all being punished for this by election.

If I was a betting man (which I'm not) I'd be tempted to put a few pounds on Labour, who will be rank outsiders.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

SeanT

I see it as making MIliband much more likely to be PM and the 'risk of a Tory PM' being much reduced. The Tory scare was always a YES selling point - it has diminished.

[edit} forgive the interjection: Quite, but it does depend how many moves the viewers look ahead. They could, in particular, think "oooh, that makes a Tory-UKIP pact even more likely". Or they can just look at EWNI as a whole and the increasing dominance of mid- to far-right-wing politics (as a non-SNP friend of mine commented recently), of which UKIP rise is a marker.

For sure the whole Scottish debate, Rotherham, UKIP have moved the centre ground of British politics a bit to the right. Saying and voting for what you think is the new black. But the right is getting more and more split. If Redward governs as a lefty then Labour will be destroyed. BoJO PM 2020? This makes Miliband's chances of becoming PM higher but his freedom to go all Hollande in power much reduced. It's going to be a miserable Labour administration we get.

British politics is in for a period of readjustment. Good.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Oh well, it was nice when we had an economy that was holding up. That's Ed in number 10 and everyone down the pan.
    Although, Brian Sedgemoor didn't change much in 2005.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    Most recent local elections were the Essex CC elections in May 2013:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDIySUJiWThFM3gxcWEyNll4Rkx0Mnc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Tendring is the name of the local council.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Sean_F said:

Hmm.

I can see the logic of it from UKIP's POV - they can now use Mr Carswell on both immigration and multi-culti - if they left it a week, they'd lose the airtime. Labour will be wriggling on a hook for ages after this week.
    No Miss P.

Labour were currently wriggling nicely on a hook of their own making.

Waiting a week wouldn't have made much difference to the impact of the announcement.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to assume that out of 22,000+ votes that the Conservatives received a significant amount will go off to UKIP with Carswell, but there will be plenty who remain with the Tories as well, IMO.

2. With the Con/UKIP vote split and Labour's vote increased due to 2010 Lib's returning to Labour, Labour comes through the middle.

3. You get anti UKIP tactical voting from Lab and Lib's (there was some evidence of this happening in Newark) and the Conservative's retain the seat with Lab/Lib help.

Ukip won the euros by almost 10,000

http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/sites/chelmsford.gov.uk/files/files/files/documents/files/Euro Election breakdown.csv
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates said:

Tories on here are getting really desperate today. It was your fault the Right got split, because you comprehensively failed to do anything about conservative concerns on civil liberties, on the EU, on immigration. Rather than be spiteful to the party actually representing those concerns, perhaps you could try addressing them...

Err, the Conservatives are doing something abut the EU. A referendum in 2017.
    Err, that's not doing something. That's promising to do something in the future when they may or may not be in government. I deal with people like this in the working world: there's always a reason why it can't be done now.

On civil liberties, to claim UKIP are 'addressing concerns' is just a joke. Only a few days ago Farage was advocating citizens being stripped of their citizenshp by executive fiat.

Only citizens that are fighting for a group that is actively at war with the West. It's been a long-standing principle that executive action on these sort of matters is acceptable in war. What's not not a long-standing principle is mass spying on the innocent people of this country.

On immigration, the government is reducing non-EU immigration (as much as it can within the constraints of coalition with a pro-immigration party). That is all it can do until we've sorted out the EU aspect.

What proposed policy by the Tories was going to achieve the necessary reduction in non-EU immigration that the Lib Dems blocked? The Lib Dems are just another well-worn excuse. As for "sorting out the EU aspect", Cameron has come out and said he supports free movement of labour in the EU. He has no plans to effectively address the issue and you know it.

But go ahead, put the two Eds into Nos 10 and 11 Downing Street. I'm sure that will address your concerns.

The Two Eds are going to get in because of the Tories' failures in office. And my concerns will not be addressed whether either the big two parties get in, so I'm having to look for a beyond 2020 horizon anyway.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JohnO said:

Hugh said:

I know and it won't happen...I wouldn't be surprised if pressure won't be put on Dan Hannam to stand.
  • Options
    Everyone not blue loves Dougie today. Man of principle etc etc. funny dat.
  • Options
    Every ukip bet for the GE just increased in value
  • Options
    Boris for Clacton, squash the Quisling
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin (@GoodwinMJ)
    28/08/2014 11:17
    In our analysis Clacton is THE most favourable seat for Ukip. Carswell will win hands down @robfordmancs
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

SeanT

Your non-SNP friend must be a left-wing muppet. UKIP are not "far right", and only an idiot with no knowledge of political history or international politics would think otherwise.

Also, UKIP got a seat in Scotland at the Euros, so it's stupid to say it's just a rUK phenomenon.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Sean_F said:

Presumably it hasn't just occurred to Carswell to do this. I wonder if UKIP have got any more of these saved up to release at an opportune time and keep their momentum going.

Austin Mitchell?

Isn't he standing down at GE2015?

Yes. I suppose he could still defect as a token gesture.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    By the way, there's still time for Boris to withdraw from Uxbridge and stand in Clacton instead. How about that for a dramatic High Noon event?

As for the Indyref, I can't see the prospect of a future by-election in Clacton moving a single vote.
  • Options
    Disappointing.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    Not good news for the Conservatives , not at all. Carswell has always come across as slightly eccentric but way smarter than the average MP with some interesting ideas as well as some daft ones.

Which makes it all the more puzzling that he has done something so monumentally stupid. A Labour government in 2015, no doubt at the heart of Europe is more likely now. The self destructive obsessive myopia of the right of the Tory party drives me to despair.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Carswell would probably beat him. UKIP can do well in by-elections with the right demographics, and Carswell is a popular incumbent.
  • Options
    Paddy Power are 4/6 ukip?????? Get on that is ridiculous value
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

SeanT

For sure the whole Scottish debate, Rotherham, UKIP have moved the centre ground of British politics a bit to the right. Saying and voting for what you think is the new black. But the right is getting more and more split. If Redward governs as a lefty then Labour will be destroyed. BoJO PM 2020? This makes Miliband's chances of becoming PM higher but his freedom to go all Hollande in power much reduced. It's going to be a miserable Labour administration we get.

British politics is in for a period of readjustment. Good.
    Hmm, interesting. Just checking please: Redward is Miliband, right?

• Options

Fantastically splendid to see an MP who leaves the party he/she stood for at the previous election actually seek re-election under his/her new colours!

Just one SDP defector resigned his seat, Bruce Douglas-Mann in 1982, and lost it to the Conservatives in Mitcham & Morden.

Video I uploaded on that election:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpt2ywiTzY
  • Options
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/sites/chelmsford.gov.uk/files/files/files/documents/files/Euro Election breakdown.csv
    This part of Essex is the home of the UKIP in Europe, Tories in Westminster voter. The difference will be (a) Carswell himself and (b) Labour voters in areas like Jaywick (some of the most economically deprived in the country).

The Frinton part of the constituency will be key as well. Currently opposing a Sainsbury's on the grounds that its orange signage isn't in keeping with the locale, it is full of people who have voted Conservative for many years (it has an older population) but who might be tempted to leave for UKIP.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not good news for the Conservatives , not at all. Carswell has always come across as slightly eccentric but way smarter than the average MP with some interesting ideas as well as some daft ones.

Which makes it all the more puzzling that he has done something so monumentally stupid. A Labour government in 2015, no doubt at the heart of Europe is more likely now. The self destructive obsessive myopia of the right of the Tory party drives me to despair.

is it any different from the self-destructive obsessive myopia of the Cameroons ?
  • Options
    Carswell is also very good on civil liberties, and should be a much-welcome push for UKIP to move more clearly in that direction.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    isam said:

Every ukip bet for the GE just increased in value

I almost put £10 on UKIP winning Clacton @ ~100:1, (after Mr Goodwin said it was so UKIP friendly) but didn't because Mr Carswell is such a Good Egg.

Doh!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

MikeK said:

JohnO said:

Hugh said:

I know and it won't happen...I wouldn't be surprised if pressure won't be put on Dan Hannam to stand.
    Thats a different matter JO, however are you sure that Dan Hannan won't be next to defect?
  • Options

I suspect Boris Johnson would go down like a lead balloon in Clacton.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

Hmm.

No Miss P.

Waiting a week wouldn't have made much difference to the impact of the announcement.
    Quite. Carswell has done those violated by the largely Pakistani child abusers in Rotherham no favours, and knocked those who let them get away with it off the front pages. Silly timing.
  • Options
    If UKIP can attract candidates like Carswell it will change UKIP's chances dramatically upwards. He epitomises all of the attributes that UKIP occasionlly get sniped at for. UKIP is growing and becoming a serious party. (Not fully there yet for sure - but it's coming). Policy, image, personnel, gravitas, impact - all will move.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    Charles said:

FPT @malcolmg

I don't want to drag Scotland on to a much more interesting thread.

But "refute that if you can" was the challenge.

Of course 5,000 jobs are not the "top jobs". But they are the ecosystems that supports the CEO's office. And they are all well paid. It will be a significant economic loss to Scotland.

I can respect the argument that it's a price worth paying. But to pretend it's not going to happen is just foolish.

It is foolish to suggest that the CEO is in Edinburgh currently and also foolish to suggest that it needs moving 5000 people to London to support him in any event. We are not in the stone age. You are talking through an orifice other than your mouth.
    You show your ignorance in stating that one poxy Tory defecting is more important than Scotland leaving the union.
    I am off for a French Market Fish cookery course and will not have to suffer any more fools today thank God.
    You Tories can continue to ejaculate over your defector without me.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    AndyJS said:

I suspect Boris Johnson would go down like a lead balloon in Clacton.
    Yes, he would. Particularly against a man of Carswell's moral fibre and local presence.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Bor-ris, bor-ris, bor-ris...!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JohnO said:

MikeK said:

JohnO said:

Hugh said:

Thats a different matter JO, however are you sure that Dan Hannan won't be next to defect?
    Fancy £50 evens that he won't?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Carswell is an excellent MP - I hope he's re-elected.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    This area is in the Clacton constituency:

"How Jaywick Sands became the most deprived area in the UK
    New documentary Jaywick Escapes casts light on a part of Essex that has changed from a holiday retreat to a rundown refuge for troubled Londoners"

http://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2012/jul/01/jaywick-sands-most-deprived-uk

"Welcome to Misery-by-sea: Dilapidated homes, boarded-up shops and rubbish-strewn streets. Why Jaywick Sands is offically the most deprived village in England"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303489/East-Jaywick-Life-seaside-deprived-village-England.html
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Grandiose said:

JohnO said:

Hugh said:

Shouldn't stand, this really isn't the place for him.

But I do expect him to feature in the campaign, possibly in a big way. Hannan and Jenkin too.
    Boris might be tempted to keep out of it... He won't want to be seen to be UKIP bashing too much I feel.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Patrick said:

SeanT

In the EU elections UKIP took ~27% of the vote across the UK, but only 10% in Scotland. Even in London UKIP took about 16% of the vote.

The prominence of UKIP emphasises the differences in political culture between Scotland and England. It should therefore help YES.
  • Options
    Why is it stupid or selfish for Carswell to have an internal struggle with himself, decide that he's in the wrong party, and then do something about it?
    It won't be Carswell's fault that Milliband becomes PM. That is solely down to Cameron.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Patrick said:

If UKIP can attract candidates like Carswell it will change UKIP's chances dramatically upwards. He epitomises all of the attributes that UKIP occasionlly get sniped at for. UKIP is growing and becoming a serious party. (Not fully there yet for sure - but it's coming). Policy, image, personnel, gravitas, impact - all will move.

How long until Carswell realise's Farage is only in it for the money and they have a monumental falling out, LOL?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JohnO said:

MikeK said:

JohnO said:

Hugh said:

Mike, I've an inkling (and it's no more than that) that there will be another defection, in which case Hannan would be a likely suspect.

You must be tickled pink!
  • Options
    A bad day for the Conservatives and Cameron. Unfortunately the europhile Foreign Office reviews of european powers was probably a key factor that caused this. Hague and Lidington, primary causes. The move to Hammond was too little too late. If Cameron sacked Lidington and appointed a eurosceptic (Francois?) as Lidington's replacement, Cameron might hold back the tide. But Cameron brought in too many europhiles into Govt.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

A very good point. Carswell gives UKIP (much needed) depth and gravitas.

They still need about 10 good people in the frontline as MPs though.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,839
    DavidL said:

It may be that the Tories have to adopt an increasingly Euro-sceptic view. It seems that doing so will help their 2015 chances a little anyway.

Labour won't really like being sidelined in the bye-election, but that's inevitable. Overall this has to be a plus for them though. (I've just backed Ed for next PM @ 1.98 in a small way. ) I wonder though quite what stance Labour will have in 2015 with regards to Europe - if they edge towards euroscepticism too then there's a danger they find themselves in the unpopular place the Tories are, but perhaps a referendum promise might defuse all these dangers for them. (I don't think it'll happen nor that they'd be wise to do so, but who knows)

• Options

Plato said:

Sean_F said:

Hmm.

No Miss P.

Quite. Carswell has done those violated by the largely Pakistani child abusers in Rotherham no favours, and knocked those who let them get away with it off the front pages. Silly timing.
    You're really getting desperate, aren't you?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Why does this myth persist that Scots are all rabid europhiles? Polling suggests they are only slightly less eurosceptic than the English, and have just elected a UKIP MEP (which didn't come out of the tory share either).

The most likely way of Scotland leaving the EU is a yes vote (albeit temporarily).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

New documentary Jaywick Escapes casts light on a part of Essex that has changed from a holiday retreat to a rundown refuge for troubled Londoners"

http://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2012/jul/01/jaywick-sands-most-deprived-uk

"Welcome to Misery-by-sea: Dilapidated homes, boarded-up shops and rubbish-strewn streets. Why Jaywick Sands is offically the most deprived village in England"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303489/East-Jaywick-Life-seaside-deprived-village-England.html

It has some of the worst performing schools, as well (not sure I'd go as far as the DM, but maybe that's because I have family there). Clacton proper is mixed and the northern part of the constituency well off and older.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

This part of Essex is the home of the UKIP in Europe, Tories in Westminster voter. The difference will be (a) Carswell himself and (b) Labour voters in areas like Jaywick (some of the most economically deprived in the country).

The Frinton part of the constituency will be key as well. Currently opposing a Sainsbury's on the grounds that its orange signage isn't in keeping with the locale, it is full of people who have voted Conservative for many years (it has an older population) but who might be tempted to leave for UKIP.
    IIRC, the County Council Division that includes Jaywick returned one Labour county councillor, and one UKIP. Previously, it was very safe Labour.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    Exciting news. I've always admired (and liked) Carswell. I wish him well.

However, do people really think he'll hold? The seat profile looks very similar to Newark to me, albeit Carswell has a much higher personal vote.

I think the Tories will throw the kitchen sink at it, and they could edge it.

I think it'll be close with the winner in the 30s.
  • Options
    Carswell might have a personal vote, but then he stood for election on a Cameroon ticket. How will those Tory voters feel now that he has decided his actual beliefs are in line with UKIP?
    I have principles. And, for expediency, I can have others!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Patrick said:

A very good point. Carswell gives UKIP (much needed) depth and gravitas.

They still need about 10 good people in the frontline as MPs though.
    Major political parties have survived for the decades in the UK with less than five good people on the frontline.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

AndyJS said:

It has some of the worst performing schools, as well (not sure I'd go as far as the DM, but maybe that's because I have family there). Clacton proper is mixed and the northern part of the constituency well off and older.
    Frinton is very nice indeed... And if Sean Fear, Socrates and I go canvassing I suggest we go there!!!!

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    The British Political Right is now officially split.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

DavidL said:

It may be that the Tories have to adopt an increasingly Euro-sceptic view. It seems that doing so will help their 2015 chances a little anyway.

Labour won't really like being sidelined in the bye-election, but that's inevitable. Overall this has to be a plus for them though. (I've just backed Ed for next PM @ 1.98 in a small way. ) I wonder though quite what stance Labour will have in 2015 with regards to Europe - if they edge towards euroscepticism too then there's a danger they find themselves in the unpopular place the Tories are, but perhaps a referendum promise might defuse all these dangers for them. (I don't think it'll happen nor that they'd be wise to do so, but who knows)

How many by-elections will this be that labour have 'soft-pedalled' on?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Patrick said:

How long until Carswell realise's Farage is only in it for the money and they have a monumental falling out, LOL?
    Stop being silly while crying into your cups.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Carnyx said:

Patrick said:

SeanT

Your non-SNP friend must be a left-wing muppet. UKIP are not "far right", and only an idiot with no knowledge of political history or international politics would think otherwise.

Also, UKIP got a seat in Scotland at the Euros, so it's stupid to say it's just a rUK phenomenon.
    As it happens, my friend didn't specifically comment on UKIP but on the general rightward drift of Westminster as seen from up here. UKIP is undoubtedly generally regarded here as a firmly right party, closer to the Tories than anyone else, and perception is the issue here, though 'far' was probably the wrong word and I am happy to stand corrected, if you think it better.

I didn't imply UKIP was only an EWNI phenomenon, and agree wholeheartedly it is a UK one (no pun intended). But it is much smaller up here - IIRC LD rather than Tory levels in the Euros which always maximises UKIP success (and their seat almost ended up as another SNP seat). I honestly can't see UKIP as a major factor in the Scottish Parliament and, still less with FPTP, Scottish Westminster seats. So it is the likelihood of English UKIP MPs (plus any likelies in Wales & NI - not sure about them) seats that will have immediate impact.

• Options
    Talking of principles, I've never worked out why UKIP don't just stand on a 'we will withdraw' ticket. You don't refer every other policy to the electorate, why bother with that one? They'd be worth a look if they grew a set and did that.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    GIN1138 said:

This is a complete non-starter.

It didn't happen in Newark - where the combined Labour and Lib Dem vote was 42.3% in 2010, but Labour finished third in the by-election.

It won't happen in Clacton - where the combined Labour and Lib Dem vote was 37.9% in 2010. Labour will finish third in the by-election.

Your other two scenarios are both possible. A lot depends on who the Conservative candidate is.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    isam said:

Paddy Power are 4/6 ukip?????? Get on that is ridiculous value

Haha I have hit max on that one.
  • Options

Surely "Quisling" would refer to the Euro-federalists?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    GIN1138 said:

Patrick said:

Give him time.

Incidentally, Hannan's just been interviewed and said he's staying put. Didn't sound overtly pleased by the news, neither did Nigel Evans.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

MikeK said:

JohnO said:

MikeK said:

JohnO said:

Hugh said:

Mike, I've an inkling (and it's no more than that) that there will be another defection, in which case Hannan would be a likely suspect.

Hannan has said repeatedly in his Telegraph blog that he isn't supporting UKIP because the only way you can get a referendum is through the Conservatives.

He's also lambasted UKIP for moving away from the referendum and on to ground like education, taxation, etc...

He would look kind of ridiculous is he defected to UKIP now, but who knows. The "Right" generally isn't fit to govern and hasn't been since 1990.

Think I've moved significantly back towards the Labour column for 2015 today.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    MaxPB said:

What movement will there ever be on EU immigration? Even German proposals to limit jobless immigrants to 6 months have been met with derision by the EU today, what hope does the UK have of reforming the idiotic free movement of labour rules?

Very little (other than at the margins dealing with the Benefits issue).

However, why on earth are people so naive as to think that voting UKIP helps with this? The only likely outcome is a Labour government, which is hardly going to help reform, is it? And even if we get a referendum (now looking more unlikely) and that leads to Brexit, why on earth would anyone automatically suppose that Britain would be able to negotiate a deal with our EU frieds that wouldn't include free movement of labour?

We are where we are (thanks, Tony and Gordon). Tilting at windmills won't make the problem go away.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Again, it's only stupid if you see the Conservatives as the only way to achieve principled rightwing solutions.

Given that Cameron is very likely to lose in 2015 ANYWAY, then, with respect, I think it's your analysis that lacks intelligence.
    And even if they do get in, we can't rely on them to achieve principled rightwing solutions. They have voluntarily handed powers over to the EU, they have pushed for more spying on innocent British people, they have allowed mass immigration to continue. New Labour-lite isn't a very attractive sales pitch.
  • Options

Omnium said:

DavidL said:

How many by-elections will this be that labour have 'soft-pedalled' on?
    Quite. We will be expected to believe that they soft pedalled into third in a seat where UKIP start from zero.
    Anything for political point scoring.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    BenM said:

The British Political Right is now officially split.

Recently UKIP has been taking almost as many votes from Labour as the Conservatives. It's true that most of the support UKIP already had until a couple of years ago was from the Tories but that has altered dramatically in recent months. They're being particularly successful with people who used to vote Labour 10-15 years ago but haven't bothered voting in the last couple of general elections.
  • Options

MikeK said:

JohnO said:

MikeK said:

JohnO said:

Hugh said:

Hannan wasn't exactly gushing with enthusiasm with Cameron, or the Conservatives, when he wrote this:

"In fairness, the failure of the two Right-of-Centre parties to reach an accommodation is at least as much David Cameron’s responsibility as Nigel Farage’s. "

"If David Cameron had not offered an In/Out referendum, I would not have been able to fight the recent European election as a Conservative. But he did; and Ukip is in denial about it."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100283493/so-why-dont-you-join-ukip-hannan/
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

This part of Essex is the home of the UKIP in Europe, Tories in Westminster voter.

I did that, at least at the last GE/Euro vote, though I Iive near the geographically opposite end of Essex!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited August 2014
    The real winners in all of this

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/28/article-2736136-20DDBA1000000578-434_636x382.jpg

The media are now going to spend days talking about Carswell, UKIP, by-election, problem for Cameron, good for Miliband etc... Meanwhile these people will just carry on as if nothing as happened.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    isam said:

Grandiose said:

AndyJS said:

Frinton is very nice indeed... And if Sean Fear, Socrates and I go canvassing I suggest we go there!!!!

I go there a lot for a day out on the beach, but it's the most dreadfully sleepy place the rest of the time for younger people like me.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    I have quite a bit of time for Carswell, even though I find some of his ideas silly, and that he has had the guts to do this speaks pretty well of him. I imagine there are quite a few Con MPs with similar views who are prepared to sit within a Cameroon led party that is at odds with their values, and hope for a return to their own at a future date, rather than risk standing for another party which has a far harder job to win any seats, despite their impressive polling.
  • Options

Carswell might have a personal vote, but then he stood for election on a Cameroon ticket. How will those Tory voters feel now that he has decided his actual beliefs are in line with UKIP?
    I have principles. And, for expediency, I can have others!

TBF he's written quite a lot about what he personally believes in, and the things he's really big on, like recall powers, were in Cameron's manifesto, but _Cameron_ didn't deliver them. _And_ he's calling a by-election to give voters a chance to reject the platform he'll be switching to.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    A true earthquake today in political terms -

Springtime for UKIP, Winter for Cameron.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

MaxPB said:

What movement will there ever be on EU immigration? Even German proposals to limit jobless immigrants to 6 months have been met with derision by the EU today, what hope does the UK have of reforming the idiotic free movement of labour rules?

Very little (other than at the margins dealing with the Benefits issue).

However, why on earth are people so naive as to think that voting UKIP helps with this? The only likely outcome is a Labour government, which is hardly going to help reform, is it? And even if we get a referendum (now looking more unlikely) and that leads to Brexit, why on earth would anyone automatically suppose that Britain would be able to negotiate a deal with our EU frieds that wouldn't include free movement of labour?

We are where we are (thanks, Tony and Gordon). Tilting at windmills won't make the problem go away.
    Because (a) some of us are capable of a long term strategy for this country beyond the next parliament and (b) the EU has several free trade deals that do not include free movement of labour.

Incidentally, why are you blaming Tony and Gordon for free movement of labour from poor Eastern states? They are to blame for many things, but not this.
  • Options
    O/T - it's astonishing. Less than 5 years ago, Socrates, Sean Fear, Sean Thomas (usually) and myself were regularly posting here lamenting Labour and looking forward to a Conservative win in 2010.

Now, we're rooting for UKIP. Cameron should never have lost any of us.
  • Options

Surely "Quisling" would refer to the Euro-federalists?
    No, it refers to the desire amongst 'the people's revolution' to assist and enable a left wing demolition of the UK economy and independence.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Has anyone any detailed analysis of the potential impact this Carswell Tory bombshell is likely to have on swingback's gradual process?
  • Options

Exciting news. I've always admired (and liked) Carswell. I wish him well.

However, do people really think he'll hold? The seat profile looks very similar to Newark to me, albeit Carswell has a much higher personal vote.

I think the Tories will throw the kitchen sink at it, and they could edge it.

I think it'll be close with the winner in the 30s.

Newark is far more prosperous than Clacton, so yes, I think Carswell will hold it for UKIP.

• Options
    On the other hand if UKIP don't win their whole 2015 GE campaign just looks like bollocks.
This discussion has been closed.