Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip gets its first MP – Douglas Carswell defects from the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,808
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip gets its first MP – Douglas Carswell defects from the Tories

MP for Clacton Douglas Carswell has announced he is defecting from the Conservatives to #Ukip

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Pching ! :-)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Not the most obvious potential defector.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,194
    Bloody Hell

Going to have to dig through the betting archives to work out if this is a winner or loser or no difference for me.

Does this trigger a by-election ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bloody Hell

Going to have to dig through the betting archives to work out if this is a winner or loser or no difference for me.

Does this trigger a by-election ?

Only if he wants it to.

Which he might.
  • Options
    Excellent news for UKIP - Dire for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,365
    A comfortable hold for UKIP, I should think.
  • Options
    He's not the first UKIP MP, Bob Spink defected to UKIP in 2008.
  • Options
    And just as the English Channel gets a little bit wider, a geologist finds yet another sphere where Scotland trumps our southern neighbour.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-28965618
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Hehe this is fun.

Go on Righties, split 50/50 and let Lab sneak through the middle, do it...
  • Options
    From the Speccie:

Update, 11.15: Carswell has announced that he is forcing a by-election in his constituency. This is a real Black Swan moment for David Cameron.
  • Options
    Conservative MP Douglas Carswell has announced he is defecting from the Tories and joining UKIP.

The MP For Clacton in Essex said he made the decision because he believes UKIP is the only party that can break up the "cosy Westminster elite".

Flanked by his new party leader Nigel Farage, Mr Carswell said he would resign from Parliament and stand for UKIP in a by-election.

More follows...
  • Options
    Kerching a winner and a by-election
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Excellent news for UKIP - Dire for the Conservatives.

No.

Excellent news for Labour.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    This will be an easy hold for Carswell in the general election IMO. The by-election will be even easier.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Carswell is revealing that Cameron doesn't want any change in the EU, and is doing everything to stay in

UKIP 10-15% 15/8 Ladbrokes looks good... Have a saver on the 9/2 15-20%
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Carswell is a proper MP, unlike a career driven non-entity.

Tories attack him at your peril. This could rip the right apart.
  • Options
    @MikeSmithson If UKIP don't win this by election, I will admit it is a disappointing result ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,126
    Hugh said:

Hehe this is fun.

Hard as it is to say on this one Hugh is dead right. Very sad - a big mistake for Carswell and the right in the UK
  • Options
    What's that sound I hear? Ed Miliband p!ssing himself with laughter?
  • Options
    Bah thats no UKIP winner By Election till GE2015 a loser ><
  • Options

Conservative MP Douglas Carswell has announced he is defecting from the Tories and joining UKIP.

The MP For Clacton in Essex said he made the decision because he believes UKIP is the only party that can break up the "cosy Westminster elite".

Flanked by his new party leader Nigel Farage, Mr Carswell said he would resign from Parliament and stand for UKIP in a by-election.

More follows...

It should be a cracking contest.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Carswell joins Ukip #radio 5live Tory MP joins Ukip.

Will he do the decent thing and stand in a by election?
    Yes, he is. UKIP have far more principles than the rest of the careerist sycophants in parliament.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Indeed so.

I trust any PBers with non-taxpayer backed pensions have been heeding my warnings over the last few months.
  • Options

From the Speccie:

Update, 11.15: Carswell has announced that he is forcing a by-election in his constituency. This is a real Black Swan moment for David Cameron.

Yahoooo! It is like that scene from Dr Strangelove where he rides the atomic bomb.

http://derekbateman.co.uk/2014/03/31/dr-strangelove/
  • Options
    Nobody likes a perfidious splitter dirty rat.

Remember Carswell biggest political achievement is making John Bercow speaker.

Well played Douglas.
  • Options
    "Net migration to UK soars by 39% to 243,000
    Theresa May's vow to reduce Britain's net migration to under 100,000 in tatters after ONS says figure rose 68,000 in last year"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/28/uk-net-migration-soars-to-243000-theresa-may
  • Options
    Honestly this is great news for UKIP and bad news for the Tories and Dave.

I really like Carswell.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Sadly true as well...
  • Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Posts: 14
    Tendring District Count 2014

Name of Registered Party

Number of Votes

An Independence from Europe – UK Independence Now

British National Party - Fighting Unsustainable Housing Because We Care

Christian Peoples Alliance

Conservative Party – For real change in Europe

English Democrats – I’m English, NOT British, NOT EUropean!

Green Party

Labour Party

Liberal Democrats

NO2EU - Yes to Workers’ Rights

UK Independence Party (UKIP)

• Options
    SeanT said:

This will be a blistering by election. EU Immigration and Rotherham all in the mix.

Explosive.

This looks like great news for Miliband - UNLESS it makes an indyref YES more likely, in which case it's dreadful news for Miliband.

Fascinating!

Labour will likely get squeezed in this contest.

• Options
    isam said:

Carswell is revealing that Cameron doesn't want any change in the EU, and is doing everything to stay in

UKIP 10-15% 15/8 Ladbrokes looks good... Have a saver on the 9/2 15-20%

Not only that, but Cameron is clearly not prepared to walk the walk on immigration. Net immigration has barely changed four years into the coalition. The Tories just don't cut it any more.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Carswell: "It’s nice to have a leader with whom I agree." Farage quips: "It's early days."
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

This will be a blistering by election. EU Immigration and Rotherham all in the mix.

Explosive.

This looks like great news for Miliband - UNLESS it makes an indyref YES more likely, in which case it's dreadful news for Miliband.

Fascinating!

When is the election likely to be? I'm tempted to go and canvass for the guy.
  • Options
    Well the by election will be after the Indyref
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Ironic that Carswell was talking about safe seats, whilst fritty Farage fishes around for a constituency he stands any hope of winning in.
  • Options
    Who wants to make a price in this by election?
  • Options
    If Carswell wins (and that's a jolly good chance), then this could blow the dam for UKIP winning many many seats at the GE.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Useless fact about Clacton: the singer Sade (Helen Adu) grew up in the constituency. Her family lived in Holland-on-Sea, which is an eastern suburb of the town.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Crazy news. Selfish and stupid by Carswell. Should have done it after the election. This opens the door for Labour and will start Tory infighting over the EU again.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    SeanT said:

Hugh said:

Sadly true as well...
    No. See below. Scotland.

Losing a good MP to UKIP is jolly bad news for Cameron.

Losing Scotland forever is catastrophic for Labour.

The latter is made more probable by the former.
    I'd be surprised if it happens - voters will always reward parties that stay united and punish those which don't. I have no strong views about Carswell either way - but he has made a big mistake today.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    FPT Carswell: "I want change. We have had a duopoly. They are just taking turns of sitting on a sofa"
  • Options
    Carswell should win the by-election easily and retain the seat at the GE.

Anybody who followed my advice yesterday to buy UKIP >1 to 5 seats on Betfair got their timing perfectly right. Most of the value has now gone but maybe the 9/4 is still worth taking.
  • Options
    Sunder Katwala @sundersays

Douglas Carswell a big catch. Eloquent advocate of open, liberal optimistic EU-scepticism. But v.different immig views to medían ukip voter
  • Options
    isam said:

Who wants to make a price in this by election?

Come on bookies, show us what you've got!

Much as Labour will probably sit back and enjoy the show, and are likely to get squeezed, I'd be interested in a little look...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT @Socrates If UKIP now have an MP, that's the last barrier for them getting a place in the debates surpassed, unless it's a real stitch-up.

Not so fast - he's resigning and restanding in a by-election.

But it does make the case for 2 debates: (1) as a 4 way between the 4 significant national parties (sorry Neil) and (2) a head to head with Miliband vs Cameron as the most likely PMs.

I'd probably use criteria such as:

to qualify for debate (1) standing in >50% of seats nationally (ex NI) plus averaging > 10% in poll of polls [to be defined but the obvious ones] in the 12 months prior to announcement for the election

to qualify for debate (2) standing in >75% of seats nationally (ex NI) plus averaging >25%...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,137
    edited August 2014
    Any word on by-election timing?

Edited extra bit: Mr. Max, I pretty much agree. Unless there's a Yes or a shock defeat for Carswell in the by-election, the next election is far likelier to see a Labour majority now.

Principles are nice, but there is a line when adhering to them amounts to stupidity. A vegetarian who starves to death whilst ignoring a bacon sandwich isn't an advert for ideology.

There's not only the EU, but also the Scottish vote. This may have no impact north of the border, but if it does it will only help Yes and potentially destroy the UK as it currently exists.
  • Options

Ironic that Carswell was talking about safe seats, whilst fritty Farage fishes around for a constituency he stands any hope of winning in.

What are you talking about? South Thanet has a 7,000 majority. And Farage has clear connections to the place, having stood there before.

Tories on here are getting really desperate today. It was your fault the Right got split, because you comprehensively failed to do anything about conservative concerns on civil liberties, on the EU, on immigration. Rather than be spiteful to the party actually representing those concerns, perhaps you could try addressing them...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Explosive.

Fascinating!

I'll be out canvassing too.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,947
    He's done the proper thing in resigning and forcing a by-election. Of course it probably suits UKIP to do that anyway.

Will be very interesting to see how this develops. I presume we'll see a fairly anti-European Tory message.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Carswell is well liked in these parts.

But I'm waiting to hear what Bernard Jenkin as to say. They've done wuite a lot of campaigning/fund-raising together.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Hugh said:

Sadly true as well...
    No. See below. Scotland.

I don't see why this should have any bearing on the Scottish vote.

I did wonder if a big vote for UKIP in England in May would boost the Yes camp, but it made no difference.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,338
    Somewhat surprising announcement, especially the timing.

Will Hannan follow ?
  • Options
    According to Lord Ashcroft (?)

UKIP 1/3
    Con 5/2
    Lab 100/1
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I'm trying hard to think of a positive out of this for the Tories. I can't.
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT @Socrates If UKIP now have an MP, that's the last barrier for them getting a place in the debates surpassed, unless it's a real stitch-up.

But it does make the case for 2 debates: (1) as a 4 way between the 4 significant national parties (sorry Neil) and (2) a head to head with Miliband vs Cameron as the most likely PMs.

to qualify for debate (1) standing in >50% of seats nationally (ex NI) plus averaging > 10% in poll of polls [to be defined but the obvious ones] in the 12 months prior to announcement for the election

to qualify for debate (2) standing in >75% of seats nationally (ex NI) plus averaging >25%...

If we have four parties present (and we should), I think we would need two debates to cover all their points on all policy areas. Two debates with the four largest parties and one Cameron vs Miliband seems fair.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Hugh said:

Hehe this is fun.

It didn't even come close to happening in Newark, which was far more favourable to Labour, so there's absolutely zero chance of it happening in Clacton.

I reckon UKIP and the Conservatives will probably take at least 70% of the vote between them in Clacton, just as they did in Newark. Labour will finish a poor third.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited August 2014
    If elected, I'd expect the Mr Carswell to have an influence on the UKIP 2015 manifesto.

Direct Democracy is a good angle for UKIP, as it can unify both Labour and Tory leaning supporters.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/5329377/My_plan_to_rescue_Britain_in_just_12_months/

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Explosive.

Fascinating!

I'll have to see what my work schedule looks like, but keep me informed.
  • Options
    Yikes!

Carswell an all round good egg. Sensible, moral, likeable, right about things. This will change the GE result I think (along with Rotherham). EICIPM much more likely.

Winners: Carswell, Farage, BoJo, Miliband
    Losers: Dave, the cosy Westminster PC consensus / business as usual

I'm also left wondering about Daniel Hannan. Carswell and Hannan are joined at the hip politically and BFFs. A Hannan defection would be equally sensational.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT @malcolmg

I don't want to drag Scotland on to a much more interesting thread.

But "refute that if you can" was the challenge.

Of course 5,000 jobs are not the "top jobs". But they are the ecosystems that supports the CEO's office. And they are all well paid. It will be a significant economic loss to Scotland.

I can respect the argument that it's a price worth paying. But to pretend it's not going to happen is just foolish.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    edited August 2014
    I imagine Carswell will romp the by-election (but the Tories will decide when it's held...perhaps sooner the better and get it out of the way), UKIP will have another bouncette....small earthquake in Clacton...and the caravan moves on. Annoying and distracting for us blues but hardly seismic. I will win my May 2015 bets with tim.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Any word on by-election timing?

The timetable is slightly longer now than it used to be.

From UKPR:

"The Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 requires the campaign to last a minimum of 25 days (not including weekends and public holidays) from the writ being moved to polling day. The previous minimum was 17 days."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Socrates said:

Tories on here are getting really desperate today. It was your fault the Right got split, because you comprehensively failed to do anything about conservative concerns on civil liberties, on the EU, on immigration. Rather than be spiteful to the party actually representing those concerns, perhaps you could try addressing them...

Err, the Conservatives are doing something abut the EU. A referendum in 2017.

On civil liberties, to claim UKIP are 'addressing concerns' is just a joke. Only a few days ago Farage was advocating citizens being stripped of their citizenshp by executive fiat.

On immigration, the government is reducing non-EU immigration (as much as it can within the constraints of coalition with a pro-immigration party). That is all it can do until we've sorted out the EU aspect.

But go ahead, put the two Eds into Nos 10 and 11 Downing Street. I'm sure that will address your concerns.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Yikes!

Carswell an all round good egg. Sensible, moral, likeable, right about things. This will change the GE result I think (along with Rotherham). EICIPM much more likely.

I'm also left wondering about Daniel Hannan. Carswell and Hannan are joined at the hip politically and BFFs. A Hannan defection would be equally sensational.

I can't see Hannan going - he's made several blog posts saying why he's sticking with the Tories.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,182
    UKIP hold
  • Options
    Hugh said:

UKIP 1/3
    Con 5/2
    Lab 100/1

Ladbrokes going 1/3 Carswell to win the by-election.

Seems fair enough to me.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

UKIP 1/3
    Con 5/2
    Lab 100/1

I thought anything bigger than 1/4 ukip was big value but I'm not a big odds on backer
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,137
    Cheers, Mr. JS.
  • Options
    A quarter of a million people immigrating to the UK in the last 12 months is a shocking figure given the Tories' promises about reducing the level.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Hugh said:

Sadly true as well...
    No. See below. Scotland.

I don't see why this should have any bearing on the Scottish vote.

I did wonder if a big vote for UKIP in England in May would boost the Yes camp, but it made no difference.

It won't overinfluence Scotland, but it lets Labour quietly out of the gathering mire of Rotheram.

I think the timing's a bit daft, if he'd have left Rotherham run for another week, Labour would be struggling to keep the seat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Explosive.

Fascinating!

I will too... Not far from me, let's arrange a drink or something to organise?
  • Options

Somewhat surprising announcement, especially the timing.

Will Hannan follow ?

I think there is a very good chance.

Take the Betfair prices while you can. On reflection, anything above evens on the 1to5 seat market is now value.

• Options
    What about the Greens given they already have an MP?
    Socrates said:

Charles said:

If we have four parties present (and we should), I think we would need two debates to cover all their points on all policy areas. Two debates with the four largest parties and one Cameron vs Miliband seems fair.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,182
    Presumably it hasn't just occurred to Carswell to do this. I wonder if UKIP have got any more of these saved up to release at an opportune time and keep their momentum going.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Well played Douglas.

Mr Hannan wrote a lengthy piece in the DT last week explaining why he's not joining UKIP. I assume in light of Mr Carswell's defection, Daniel was getting his ducks in a row so there wasn't a load of He Is Too speculation after the event.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Patrick said:

Yikes!

I can't see Hannan going - he's made several blog posts saying why he's sticking with the Tories.
    If the Tories want to hold the seat, they'll need to put Hannan and Jenkin (assuming they're on board) front and centre.
  • Options
    Very pleased to see the news of the Carswell defection. He has always been my favourite Tory MP. Even more pleased to see he has the courage of his convictions and is actually resigning his seat to fight it again. This is entirely in line with his political philosophy and shows honesty and a commitment to his principles.

Funnily enough I don't believe MPs should have to resign their seat if they cross the floor since they are elected as individual representatives. But Carswell has always maintained that they should and is living up to his beliefs.

I do wish he were my MP.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Well played Douglas.

Mr Hannan wrote a lengthy piece in the DT last week explaining why he's not joining UKIP. I assume in light of Mr Carswell's defection, Daniel was getting his ducks in a row so there wasn't a load of He Is Too speculation after the event.
    Yep...My guess would be there's been plenty of discussions about this, and Hannan knew about this move well before today.
  • Options
    Douglas Carswell: the first UKIP MP since Robert Spink in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Spink
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    I'm sure Dan Hodges is already in the midst of writing an article about why this is terrible news for Ed Miliband
  • Options
    SeanT

Out of interest why do you see this as being good for a Scottish YES?

I see it as making MIliband much more likely to be PM and the 'risk of a Tory PM' being much reduced. The Tory scare was always a YES selling point - it has diminished.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    I like Carswell. One of the few MPs I have had personal correspondence with and as said below, he has the courage of his convictions.

This leaves me torn - think continuation of the Coalition is the best option for the country now, think I want to see him win this by-election.
  • Options

Very pleased to see the news of the Carswell defection. He has always been my favourite Tory MP. Even more pleased to see he has the courage of his convictions and is actually resigning his seat to fight it again. This is entirely in line with his political philosophy and shows honesty and a commitment to his principles.

Funnily enough I don't believe MPs should have to resign their seat if they cross the floor since they are elected as individual representatives. But Carswell has always maintained that they should and is living up to his beliefs.

I do wish he were my MP.

"I do wish he were my MP."

You can solve that by moving to Clacton ;-)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,152
    edited August 2014
    I don't think it's at all a given that this is a Carswell/UKIP Hold.

Labour and Lib-Dems received very significant 16,000+ vote's in 2010.

You have to assume that out of 22,000+ votes that the Conservatives received a significant amount will go off to UKIP with Carswell, but there will be plenty who remain with the Tories as well, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clacton_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

There are many options here that look plausible to me:

1. UKIP/Carswell retains the seat.

2. With the Con/UKIP vote split and Labour's vote increased due to 2010 Lib's returning to Labour, Labour comes through the middle.

3. You get anti UKIP tactical voting from Lab and Lib's (there was some evidence of this happening in Newark) and the Conservative's retain the seat with Lab/Lib help.

I don't think this will be a "gimme" for UKIP.
  • Options
    I wonder if there will be others.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Labour's candidate.Tim Young,locally educated, Labour group leader for Colchester.

http://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/eveninggazettenews/10848505.Tim_Young_selected_as_Labour_candidate_for_Clacton/

The Tories are left with a real selection headache.If they go down the route of South Thanet and field an identikit Ukip candidate to Carswell they lose the progressive vote.If they field a soft Cameroon,their right flank is similarly exposed.This is effectively a choice of political suicide.I think it reasonable to think the Tories are going to get squeezed either way and therefore predict the Tories will not win this bye-election.
    The big question is whether this switch from Tory to Ukip turns from a trickle into a flood.Where's the betting on who will the next Tory MP to defect to Ukip?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    AndyJS said:

Douglas Carswell: the first UKIP MP since Robert Spink in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Spink

GE2015 will be the really fun in Clacton. I expect Mr Carswell to win this by-election and win again as Kipper next May, but what sort of effort the Blue Team put up against him will be fascinating.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Socrates said:

Err, the Conservatives are doing something abut the EU. A referendum in 2017.

On civil liberties, to claim UKIP are 'addressing concerns' is just a joke. Only a few days ago Farage was advocating citizens being stripped of their citizenshp by executive fiat.

On immigration, the government is reducing non-EU immigration (as much as it can within the constraints of coalition with a pro-immigration party). That is all it can do until we've sorted out the EU aspect.

But go ahead, put the two Eds into Nos 10 and 11 Downing Street. I'm sure that will address your concerns.
    What movement will there ever be on EU immigration? Even German proposals to limit jobless immigrants to 6 months have been met with derision by the EU today, what hope does the UK have of reforming the idiotic free movement of labour rules?
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited August 2014
    Carswell is the sort of politician we need more of, on both left and right. Decent, honest, hardworking, and independently minded. I may not agree with everything he says, but I like his honesty, especially his decision to put his job on the line.
    I hope he gets back in.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

SeanT

Out of interest why do you see this as being good for a Scottish YES?

I see it as making MIliband much more likely to be PM and the 'risk of a Tory PM' being much reduced. The Tory scare was always a YES selling point - it has diminished.

My guess at SeanT reasoning is it would be seen north of the border as rUK swinging right, but given the referendum is on 18th and presumably any by-election after that date given the required timescale it'll have little impact

Unless there's more in the pipeline.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Explosive.

Fascinating!

I will too... Not far from me, let's arrange a drink or something to organise?
    Good idea.

• Options
    Boris should stand for the Tories!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,110
    Miliband would be well advised to leave this by-election well alone.

If UKIP splits the right-wing vote and lets Labour in, the Conservatives will repeat that message every single hour of the General Election campaign - "Vote UKIP, get Miliband" - and people will believe them.

The best result for Labour in Clacton would be a narrow UKIP win, Conservatives second.

(Incidentally, has anyone noticed that "Michael Green" fought Clacton for the LibDems in 2010? I guess if you have an alter ego, it might as well belong to another party...)
  • Options

I shouldn't be too pleased if I were Ed Milliband. Anything that raises UKIP's profile threatens Labour's hold on South Yorkshire.
  • Options

I do wish he were my MP.

"I do wish he were my MP."

You can solve that by moving to Clacton ;-)
    Oh dear - he can't be that good!
  • Options
    Presumably this is too late to have the by-election on the Scottish referendum date? How much after would it have to be?
  • Options

Presumably it hasn't just occurred to Carswell to do this. I wonder if UKIP have got any more of these saved up to release at an opportune time and keep their momentum going.

Austin Mitchell?

• Options
    @JohnO

"...small earthquake in Clacton...and the caravan moves on."

I see you are familiar with the place, Lord Hersham.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Carswell's constituency chairman aint happy.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I wonder if the UKIP plan is to hold the by-election a few days before the Tory conference. That would be Thursday 25th September, with the conference starting on Sunday 28th.

Although perhaps that wouldn't be possible with the new timetable for by-elections.
This discussion has been closed.