Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

If only Sunak had waited a fortnight? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,361
    Which commentary is best out of BBC and ITN? I watched BBC for the first half.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426

Seems the Catholic Church is going to give the Conservative Party a run for its money in destructive infighting while ignoring the real issues.

The current Pope dislikes the pre vatican 2 latin mass, which is growing in popularity, especially amongst the young. It involves silence, beatiful Latin liturgy and sublime music. This is greatly alarming the Pope and his chief henchman Arthur Roche who he has made a Cwrdinal in charge of Liturgy (and was known as Blessed Arthur of the Padlocks when Bishop of Leeds due to his enthusiasm for closing churches).

They see it as a threat to their polyester, banal, 1970s timewarp, guitar wailing liturgies so semi banned it in 2021. It appears that they are going to go the whole hog and have united just about every corner of the British Establishment in outrage. A letter has duly been sent to The Times signed by 45 of the Great and Good (see attached)

These include. Lord Alton, Sir Nicholas Colerage, Sir Rocco Forte, Michael Gove, Lord Lloyd Webber, Princess Michael of Kent, Fraser Nelson, Rory Stewart, interior designer Nina Campbell and fashion designer Paul Smith.

Elsewhere none other than George Galloway has expressed his concern at such plans.

What an almighty own goal.

They joined a faith that believes the Pope to be infallible - suck it up.
    Infallible when speaking ex cathedra on matters of faith and morals.
    Yes, otherwise I would be seeking his advice on betting matters and there wouldn't need to be a collection plate...

I think there have only been about 3 ex cathedra pronouncements since the infallibility Dogma came into existence in ~1850.

It is the equjvalent of a UK supreme court case involving all 12 judges.
    One was stating the rules for infallibility (bit circular) one was immaculate conception of bvm (which does NOT mean virgin birth) dunno about a third.
    Most Catholics are united on -

1) the Pope is the infallible Holy Father
    2) he does say some silly things, which are totally ignored in real life.
    This one is quite good at (2), his latest gaffe out Bravermanned Suella Bravamanns US speech by a long shot.
    It rather reminds me of the Japanese militarists and their attitude to the Emperor.

1) He is the sacred, living God whose voice is too important to be heard by the common people.
    2) He is a little shit who needs a shoeing.

They believed both at once, quite fervently.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Andy_JS said:

Will Spain be disappointed with that half?

They were marginally better, but not the side everyone was fearing.

It does seem England are decent at defending but not at keeping the ball.

Still think Spain will nick one after about 70 minutes and we'll be praying for a wonder goal from somewhere.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,583
    Time for a nice cup of tea
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,062

Is something happening? Comments seem pretty quiet.

There is a football occuring.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Oh, well. 0-0 at Half-time!
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    edited July 14
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?
    This may be worst take in your long, sorry, really short PB history

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot
    Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
    Agree. Leon has really lost the plot. I don't know about everyone else but my weekend has involved a few odd jobs at our holiday home, a few trips to the pub, a few meals out, a party this afternoon, oh and yes the shocking news of Trump getting shot which I saw this morning and got mentioned once today on the way to the party. @leon try and get a grip. Your life must be hell. Try getting involved in stuff instead of ranting endless about it. There are plenty of campaigns out there which you could get involved in and use your energy productively rather than ranting and it would be more satisfying.
    Or, I can do what the fuck I like??

Some days I post on here heavily, usually big news days. Other days I don't, coz I am working, living, dating, drinking

Also: WHAT THE FUCK IS IT TO YOU??

Nothing to do with me. Just trying to be constructive. You regularly lose the plot and do post endlessly. It is difficult to think of any time you have off. You have lots of energy. Why not put it to constructive use? You would be an asset to many campaigns. It seems such a waste to spend your time ranting here.
    You have no idea what I do or how I live. What you don’t understand - and I have tried to explain this many times - is that I am not normal. IQ etc

I can multitask my brain to a phenomenal extent (unless I am doing intense creative work which needs focus, but that is finished for now - the new flint was finished yesterday)

So today while I’ve been “sitting on PB endlessly” I have also - redrafted an article for the gazette. Made myself lunch. Had a nice long sunbathe on the roof terrace. Texted with a few friends about whatnot. Had a detailed chat with a friend in America about technology (a shared interest). Had a half hour phone call with a friend in Cornwall about his love life and my old house and the Trump story

I’ve also been for a walk around Oppède le Vieux and arranged some of my impending roadtrip with my daughter. And of course I’ve read about ten articles about the Trump thing and about 500 Twitter threads and also I read a quarter of a book about “Awe” recommended by a mate but it was crap

I did ALL of that while apparently posting endlessly on PB

Because I can multitask. I can post on here while doing other stuff. I can dip in to PB, fire off an absurd rant or a stupid joke, then dip in 20 minutes later

Can you not do this? Perhaps not. I can
    Well frankly that sounds like a pretty average day. Funnily enough I make myself lunch everyday; breakfast and dinner as well. I have sent and received umpteen WhatsApps, spoken on the phone to friends, walked the dog, been to a party 30 miles away, posted on PB, fixed a gate and will be going to the pub shortly to watch football. I have also been to the loo a few times. Honestly you make it sound as if that is not normal. But key is instead of ranting about stuff on here in a demented way I get involved in stuff. I campaign on behalf of the LDs, I'm involved in numerous campaigns. Others join charities or the local church or CAB or campaign on behalf of other political parties, etc, etc.

You have the energy, why not use it.
    I am not sure campaigning on behalf of political parties is the pinnacle of using your time or intellect to the best effect - Its essentially a zero sum game isn't it? Actually Leon is better writing his novels and entertaining on here imho!
    I never said it was. It was one of many examples of stuff one can do. But what is the point on endlessly ranting on here and doing nothing about it. Get off your arse and do something. Stop being an angry old man and do something about it.
    I write about politics for the fucking Gazette, you stupid old twat
    Well I think that says it all if you think that is doing something about it. Writing an article in the Gazette is no different to posting there other than you get paid. I mean do stuff to right the wrongs in what you believe. Ranting isn't doing stuff. Most here do stuff.
    You think expressing my political opinion in a famous magazine read by 100,000 people has less effect than some old git like you sitting in a church hall pontificating on dog poo?

Well. It’s a view. And it’s the view of a cretin
    Your lack of understanding is gob smacking. I don't sit in a church hall pontificating about anything and have never done so. But I go out there and do stuff for people. You know actual stuff that makes a difference on a voluntary basis. Stuff you could do rather writing about it. By all means write about it make a living, but then in your spare time rather than complaining do something like most people here do. It is very satisfying rather than ranting and going red in the face everyday and travel is no excuse for not doing so because much of what I do is on the internet.
    Well, one thing I do is write so well I can make easy six figures thus paying squillions to the exchequer thereby paying for everyone else. I’m not sure my time is better employed being a creepy online volunteer whatever the fuck that is, what do you do, tell people to go to the food bank via Snapchat?

You’re a dull man with a dull mind. Is all
    No need to be personal. As I said before you are talented and it seems a waste of that talent not to use it. Different people do different things and tend to use the talents they have. I mainly help people or groups that have been financially screwed. I know my finance and I'm good at organising people and making stuff happen. It was my business for 20 years. I now do it voluntarily for those less able to do so themselves. I have instigated two private members bills. Re what you earn, so what. What has that got to do with anything. I suspect I have earned much more than you, but I don't mention that here (until now).

Others use their skills in other ways, even if that is just working in a food bank or CAB. It is all worthwhile.

You have tremendous skills that you could use.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    If only people would think before tweeting.....

Iain Dale
    @IainDale
    What contrast between the two teams. Every England player belted out the national anthem with gusto. Not a single Spanish player opened his mouth.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,537
    Andy_JS said:

ITV.

You get Ally McCoist, best co-commentator in the business.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale
    What contrast between the two teams. Every England player belted out the national anthem with gusto. Not a single Spanish player opened his mouth.

what a knob
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Andy_JS said:

Will Spain be disappointed with that half?

They were marginally better, but not the side everyone was fearing.

It does seem England are decent at defending but not at keeping the ball.

Still think Spain will nick one after about 70 minutes and we'll be praying for a wonder goal from somewhere.
    Somewhere's not even on the bench!
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    Trump on trend.

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

His mea culpa is up already

Andy_JS said:

ITV.

You get Ally McCoist, best co-commentator in the business.
    He really is...
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot
    Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
    Agree. Leon has really lost the plot. I don't know about everyone else but my weekend has involved a few odd jobs at our holiday home, a few trips to the pub, a few meals out, a party this afternoon, oh and yes the shocking news of Trump getting shot which I saw this morning and got mentioned once today on the way to the party. @leon try and get a grip. Your life must be hell. Try getting involved in stuff instead of ranting endless about it. There are plenty of campaigns out there which you could get involved in and use your energy productively rather than ranting and it would be more satisfying.

Some days I post on here heavily, usually big news days. Other days I don't, coz I am working, living, dating, drinking

Nothing to do with me. Just trying to be constructive. You regularly lose the plot and do post endlessly. It is difficult to think of any time you have off. You have lots of energy. Why not put it to constructive use? You would be an asset to many campaigns. It seems such a waste to spend your time ranting here.
    You have no idea what I do or how I live. What you don’t understand - and I have tried to explain this many times - is that I am not normal. IQ etc

I can multitask my brain to a phenomenal extent (unless I am doing intense creative work which needs focus, but that is finished for now - the new flint was finished yesterday)

So today while I’ve been “sitting on PB endlessly” I have also - redrafted an article for the gazette. Made myself lunch. Had a nice long sunbathe on the roof terrace. Texted with a few friends about whatnot. Had a detailed chat with a friend in America about technology (a shared interest). Had a half hour phone call with a friend in Cornwall about his love life and my old house and the Trump story

I’ve also been for a walk around Oppède le Vieux and arranged some of my impending roadtrip with my daughter. And of course I’ve read about ten articles about the Trump thing and about 500 Twitter threads and also I read a quarter of a book about “Awe” recommended by a mate but it was crap

Because I can multitask. I can post on here while doing other stuff. I can dip in to PB, fire off an absurd rant or a stupid joke, then dip in 20 minutes later

Well frankly that sounds like a pretty average day. Funnily enough I make myself lunch everyday; breakfast and dinner as well. I have sent and received umpteen WhatsApps, spoken on the phone to friends, walked the dog, been to a party 30 miles away, posted on PB, fixed a gate and will be going to the pub shortly to watch football. I have also been to the loo a few times. Honestly you make it sound as if that is not normal. But key is instead of ranting about stuff on here in a demented way I get involved in stuff. I campaign on behalf of the LDs, I'm involved in numerous campaigns. Others join charities or the local church or CAB or campaign on behalf of other political parties, etc, etc.

I am not sure campaigning on behalf of political parties is the pinnacle of using your time or intellect to the best effect - Its essentially a zero sum game isn't it? Actually Leon is better writing his novels and entertaining on here imho!
    I never said it was. It was one of many examples of stuff one can do. But what is the point on endlessly ranting on here and doing nothing about it. Get off your arse and do something. Stop being an angry old man and do something about it.
    Well I think that says it all if you think that is doing something about it. Writing an article in the Gazette is no different to posting there other than you get paid. I mean do stuff to right the wrongs in what you believe. Ranting isn't doing stuff. Most here do stuff.
    You think expressing my political opinion in a famous magazine read by 100,000 people has less effect than some old git like you sitting in a church hall pontificating on dog poo?

Your lack of understanding is gob smacking. I don't sit in a church hall pontificating about anything and have never done so. But I go out there and do stuff for people. You know actual stuff that makes a difference on a voluntary basis. Stuff you could do rather writing about it. By all means write about it make a living, but then in your spare time rather than complaining do something like most people here do. It is very satisfying rather than ranting and going red in the face everyday and travel is no excuse for not doing so because much of what I do is on the internet.
    Well, one thing I do is write so well I can make easy six figures thus paying squillions to the exchequer thereby paying for everyone else. I’m not sure my time is better employed being a creepy online volunteer whatever the fuck that is, what do you do, tell people to go to the food bank via Snapchat?

You’re a dull man with a dull mind. Is all
    No need to be personal. As I said before you are talented and it seems a waste of that talent not to use it. Different people do different things and tend to use the talents they have. I mainly help people or groups that have been financially screwed. I know my finance and I'm good at organising people and making stuff happen. It was my business for 20 years. I now do it voluntarily for those less able to do so themselves. I have instigated two private members bills. Re what you earn, so what. What has that got to do with anything. I suspect I have earned much more than you, but I don't mention that here (until now).

Others use their skills in other ways, even if that is just working in s food bank or CAB. It is all worthwhile.

You have tremendous skills that you could use.
    get on yer bike Leon!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,103
    Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

Is this a joke? Didn't we do this a couple of years back? Maybe Piers Morgan?
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    We can do this....
    get kane off
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,908
    Rodri off!
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    viewcode said:

Watch the football! It's gonna mooooove!
    Oops
    Doh!!!!!
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    boulay said:

mwadams said:

My OH: What do you think Rishi Sunak is doing tonight?
    10yo: Crying and eating bowl after bowl of Ben and Jerry's. Again.

Why on earth would anyone ask a ten year old child what the former PM is doing on a Sunday night?
    Because the 10yo was talking about the notes that Hunt's kids left for Rishi's kids.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,553
    You can watch the summer concert from Vienna on BBC4 if you are looking for something else.

Just saying.
    What a rubbish start that was for England. Maybe a bit sleepy?

We can do this....

Or maybe not,
    Eabhal said:

Rodri off!

A professional would head straight to the Player of the Tournament market but I'm too lazy.
  • FffsFffs Posts: 64

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

In fairness I didn't know this until I googled it just now in response to the outrage about Iain Dale's tweet.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,694
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I'm not sure if you remember it, but the opening diabtribe in this rather silly exchange was yours.
    Oh dear.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Well. We've been behind in every knockout game so far.
    So that's a relief.

viewcode said:

Watch the football! It's gonna mooooove!
    Into the England net, it seems.
    Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

I noticed that but maybe it's an etiquette thing in Spain. Do they usually sing it?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

I noticed that but maybe it's an etiquette thing in Spain. Do they usually sing it?
    No words to it
    oh dear oh dear
    Nearly 2-0 Nearly¬
    !
    Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

No words!
    England are all over the place. Something badly wrong with their right in defence
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,694
    edited July 14
    Fffs said:

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

In fairness I didn't know this until I googled it just now in response to the outrage about Iain Dale's tweet.
    A bit unfair to expect the Spanish to know the words to our national anthem to be honest.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    Should have been 2-0

That Nico Williams is real quality

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

Lord Kilclooney.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/name-that-tune-northern-ireland-peer-amazed-at-spanish-national-anthem-silence-at-euros-before-realising-there-are-no-lyrics/40625077.html
  • FffsFffs Posts: 64

Fffs said:

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

A bit unfair to expect the Spanish to know the words to our national anthem to be honest.
    Oh, I don't know - turns out the English know all the words to the Spanish national anthem…
    COME ON ENGLAND
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,776

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

Lord Kilclooney.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/name-that-tune-northern-ireland-peer-amazed-at-spanish-national-anthem-silence-at-euros-before-realising-there-are-no-lyrics/40625077.html
    If you have nothing nice to say…

• TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Football's moving abroad
    It's moving abroad

Despite 90 days on 90 days off Brexit rules
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Fffs said:

Fffs said:

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

Oh, I don't know - turns out the English know all the words to the Spanish national anthem…
    So do I, it goes like this:

edited July 14

Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

No words!
    Well I thought that might be the case, but when they cut to Spanish fans in the crowd they seemed to be singing/saying something, so I was confused by that.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,553
    dixiedean said:

So that's a relief.

Fancy coming off the bench?
    we used to be good at defence
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Iain Dale
    @IainDale

No words!
    Well I thought that might be the case, but when they cut to Spanish fans in the crowd they seemed to be singing/saying something, so I was confused by that.
    Perhaps they were fans of Franco.
    We enter the half hour of hell...
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    I wish Bellingham would drop the drama Queen shit.
    Kane jinx of not winning a trophy in play again here

we used to be good at defence

Tory Cuts!
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    As the marvellous Clive Myrie said on the news, it’s the hope that kills you.

Kane jinx of not winning a trophy in play again here

Southgate heard you.
    Let’s never forget a gallant loser is still a loser

C’mon England
    oooooh
    So close from Bellingham!
    I know I’m not the most insightful football viewer, but is Rice a bit rubbish tonight ?
    edited July 14
    25 mins

tick tock

bloody good effort from Spain

We need a miracle
    Nigelb said:

I know I’m not the most insightful football viewer, but is Rice a bit rubbish tonight ?

He's looked tired in the last couple of games. None of those long runs out of defence.
    21 mins
    Goal !! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
    HAHAHAAHAHAH
    PALMER 1-1
    A sub comes good again
    Southgate is inevitable
    Brilliant goal. Now we have a match!

25 mins

tick tock

We need a miracle

Or a goal.
    Ows about that then !
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,259
    oh God
    dixiedean said:

So that's a relief.

Told youse.
    Set up by Pickford.
    edited July 14
    Yay. Didn't expect that.
    edited July 14
    Cole Palmer could find space in a single bed he was sharing with Luciano Pavarotti.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    England outplayed in another game again but manage to come back
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675

25 mins

tick tock

We need a miracle

Palmer does have a monk like haircut.

Cole Palmer could find space in a single bed he was sharing with Luciano Pavarotti.

TBF.
    Be a bit thinner having been dead for 17 years.
    jonny83 said:

England outplayed in another game again but manage to come back

no coincidence when kane off

Spoons ?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    SandraMc said:

25 mins

tick tock

We need a miracle

Foden’s is the best. I saw him compared the other day to the confused novice monk who gets murdered sparking off another investigation by Cadfael.
    Taz said:

Spoons ?
    In my experience spooning leads to forking.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Taz said:

Spoons ?
    Well one would be a ladle.
    SandraMc said:

25 mins

tick tock

We need a miracle

It’s a habit for him.
    edited July 14
    edge of seat viewing
    Pickford is a genius.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,154

What about Nick Palmer?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,332
    Good save!
    dixiedean said:

Pickford is a genius.

straight at him
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,154
    It's going to be penalties again, isn't it?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

I’d take that now
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,877
    Have we done Ros Atlins' BBC report on the Trump shooting.

Police warned before it happened that there was a man with a rifle, bear crawling on the roof.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/ceqd55865pyo

Optimist.
    Oh no!!!!
    nooooooo
    Bollocks.
    Ugh
    3 1/2 mins