Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

If only Sunak had waited a fortnight? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited August 4 in General
If only Sunak had waited a fortnight? – politicalbetting.com

No. I really don’t like this at all. https://t.co/9Pd5sGQ0y5

Read the full story here

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,038
    It would have made not a jot of difference and the SNP were hammered anyway
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,260
    FOX: Explosives found in the car of shooter Thomas Crooks, and possibly also his home

So he was really keen to do SOMETHING
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Alcaraz serving for the match!
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,353
    Brilliant third set!
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256
    edited July 14
    Djokovic absolutely thumped here.

Or maybe not quite yet!
    Djokovic saves THREE match points, 5-5 in the third!
    What a turn around!!
    Jeepers, there's actually a video of the sassytempz

The nasty bit where the killer is slotted has been blurred out, so it's SFW

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c87rvg61vrxo
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    £1700 matched on Djoko at 1000 on Betfair.
    edited July 14
    stjohn said:

£1700 matched on Djoko at 1000 on Betfair.

!!!!!

Sandpit?
    Tea break!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,539

Tea break!

They are playing cricket?

Tea break!

They are playing cricket?
    As in "hand sani-teaser"!
    edited July 14
    While Biden and Obama have struck the right note, some on the US left clearly haven't eg

'@groundrush
    RIP Thomas Crooks. An American hero who died trying to take out the garbage.'

https://x.com/groundrush/status/1812509555986772256
    Two more match points!
    Alcaraz beats Djokovic in straight sets to retain his Wimbledon title!

6-2, 6-2, 7-6
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,539
    An omen for Spain!
    Djokovic beaten! Great match
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    Some very relieved punters. Alcaraz wins.
    edited July 14
    Alcarez beats Djokovic
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    Presumably we will now see Newsom and Whitmer staring at their feet and deciding they are awfully busy this autumn but might have some diary availability in 2028?
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256
    HYUFD said:

While Biden and Obama have struck the right note, some on the US left clearly haven't eg

'@groundrush

OK, but there’s always going to be someone on Twitter.

HYUFD said:

'@groundrush

Indeed but it is not just him
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,471
    Does this bode badly for 8pm tonight?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,361
    Congrats Alcarez.
    moonshine said:

Presumably we will now see Newsom and Whitmer staring at their feet and deciding they are awfully busy this autumn but might have some diary availability in 2028?

Do they fancy taking on VP Harris for the 2028 nomination?

An omen for Spain!

Does this bode badly for 8pm tonight?

Different sport, guys!
    Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m
    The political fallout from yesterday:

• Trump supporters will be energized.

• Biden supporters will be demoralized.

• Every Trump supporter will now be a Trump voter. But some Democrats will end up staying home.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'@groundrush

Indeed but it is not just him
    Please don't feel you have to waste your valuable time looking for more Twitter nonsense from "the left".

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

• Every Trump supporter will now be a Trump voter. But some Democrats will end up staying home.

Trump's 47% will be even more energised but they alone are not enough to win the election
    HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Trump's 47% will be even more energised but they alone are not enough to win the election
    I think in other tweets he has made the point that the vote turning out difference may be small - 1 or 2% - but in tight states like Penn it could be everything.

Biden was already in serious trouble on the swing states.
    HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Not sure about that. If you put yourself in the shoes of someone living an ocean and a continent away from Crimea, you might look at events from the last three weeks and decide Trump winning is a lesser risk to US society than Trump losing (and/or Biden winning).

I think if he hammers home that he won’t impose a Federal ban on abortion, then he’s probably home and dry. The “probably” is because there is still a window for a non Biden/Harris Dem candidate that beats him.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Not sure about that. If you put yourself in the shoes of someone living an ocean and a continent away from Crimea, you might look at events from the last three weeks and decide Trump winning is a lesser risk to US society than Trump losing (and/or Biden winning).

I think if he hammers home that he won’t impose a Federal ban on abortion, then he’s probably home and dry. The “probably” is because there is still a window for a non Biden/Harris Dem candidate that beats him.
    Trump will get his 47% regardless, Biden or any other Democrat will get about 47% regardless too.

It is where the remaining 4% go who voted for Biden in 2020 that will decide the election
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    Kamala Harris needs to get support to declare Biden unfit. The risk is that it might go to the Supreme Court?
    Leon said:

Still can't believe what a massive security failure this was by supposedly the greatest security operatives in the world.

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

I think in other tweets he has made the point that the vote turning out difference may be small - 1 or 2% - but in tight states like Penn it could be everything.

Biden was already in serious trouble on the swing states.
    In Wisconsin and Michigan Biden actually is polling better than he does nationally and Pennsylvania is the state he grew up in
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Still can't believe what a massive security failure this was by supposedly the greatest security operatives in the world.
    I've done better reconnaissance myself in an airsoft match, and I'm absolutely terrible.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Pulpstar said:

Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.

Fielding a candidate worthy of being President for the next four years is pretty important. I don't think this changes that, although it probably does change the likelihood that Biden won't be the candidate. There may be nothing to play for.
    edited July 14

An omen for Spain!

Hopefully this makes an England win tonight more likely, on the basis that two wins for Spain must be slightly less likely than one. 😊
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

As I said in my header, Trump should be favorite, but there's certainly no "high and dry" about it.

Biden could be shot himself. Biden could have a stroke and be replaced. Trump could have a mental issue in a debate that makes him appear the one with serious mental decline. Trump's minor wound could get infected.

I'd make Trump a 60-70% chance of winning the election... and that's moved very slightly up on where it was last week. But given "events" there is no high and dry about it.

Attempted assassinations (and even actual assassinations) move media narratives more than actual votes. Go back and read the PB comments from 2016 when Jo Cox was murdered: there was dismay (almost pathological dismay in retrospect) from the Brexit side that this was going to result in their defeat at the hands of Remain. It did not.

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Here's an anti-Trump Republican, switching to The Donald

"Woke up thinking about this and I’m still stunned. I’ve been as big a Trump critic as anyone else on the right over the past couple of years, but what happened last night, Trump’s brave, defiant reaction, and especially the stunning photos that captured it, stirred something in me that I never knew was there. Somehow, I want to run through a wall for someone I worked against the entire primary cycle. If this didn’t change the world, it certainly changed me."

https://x.com/SKMorefield/status/1812462961996202442

If this is representative, then Luntz is right. The effect of the sassytempt will be to energize and unify theAmerican Right. They will come together, and be much more fierce in taking on the Dems

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,553

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Democrats will be demoralised????????

Because the guy didn't succeed?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Pulpstar said:

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?

Pulpstar said:

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?
    This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event It's a view.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,476
    Andy_JS said:

An omen for Spain!

Hopefully this makes an England win tonight more likely, on the basis that two wins for Spain must be slightly less likely than one. 😊
    A Spanish man won the men's race at the Ironman triathlon, but an English woman won the women's race. So that's an omen for both sides...
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,554
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

As I said in my header, Trump should be favorite, but there's certainly no "high and dry" about it.

Biden could be shot himself. Biden could have a stroke and be replaced. Trump could have a mental issue in a debate that makes him appear the one with serious mental decline. Trump's minor wound could get infected.

I'd make Trump a 60-70% chance of winning the election... and that's moved very slightly up on where it was last week. But given "events" there is no high and dry about it.

Attempted assassinations (and even actual assassinations) move media narratives more than actual votes. Go back and read the PB comments from 2016 when Jo Cox was murdered: there was dismay (almost pathological dismay in retrospect) from the Brexit side that this was going to result in their defeat at the hands of Remain. It did not.

Isn't it a named rule that most events that feel like they should make an impact don't do so in the end?

There's a lot we still don't know here.

Sorry, excitement junkies.

Pulpstar said:

This may be worst take in your long, sorry, really short PB history

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

They will be confused and enfeebled is better. Because many of them will wonder if their insane, unhinged rhetoric about Trump being Hitler went too far (spoiler: it did). So they will rein it in, making them weaker

At the same time it likely means Biden stays, at least for now, because all the momentum to remove him will be diffused as the focus falls on Trump

And they will be scared by the united anger of the GOP
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

I suppose the idea is that Trump has now become a national icon of historic significance - the man who looked Death in the eye and didn't waver.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,609
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

"Woke up thinking about this and I’m still stunned. I’ve been as big a Trump critic as anyone else on the right over the past couple of years, but what happened last night, Trump’s brave, defiant reaction, and especially the stunning photos that captured it, stirred something in me that I never knew was there. Somehow, I want to run through a wall for someone I worked against the entire primary cycle. If this didn’t change the world, it certainly changed me."

If this is representative, then Luntz is right. The effect of the sassytempt will be to energize and unify theAmerican Right. They will come together, and be much more fierce in taking on the Dems

That's an interesting anecdote and the timing with the convention being this week couldn't be better in order to unite the Republican movement.
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot
    Unless it isn't. Let's wait and see. But the narrow point is what is the post I was replying to saying if not that the Dems should give up on the election?

Predictions are hard esp about the future. Maybe this will bring home to the Dems the reality of mortality to really old fucks and they will sack Biden. Maybe Biden will express regret about the recent death of president Lincoln. We don't know.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Isn't it a named rule that most events that feel like they should make an impact don't do so in the end?

Yes. I think we all remember how the murder of Jo Cox was going to swing the Brexit referendum to Remain.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

I suppose the idea is that Trump has now become a national icon of historic significance - the man who looked Death in the eye and didn't waver.
    Depends on what he says. Open goal, but people can miss open goals. (I don't like Trump, but I hope he doesn't mess up his response here. Even though that will make him more likely to be the next President.)
    edited July 14
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Trump is ever-so-slightly more important and high profile than Jo Cox, bless her

However I agree that this does not make Trump 2.0 a certainty. Surely, if we've learned anything in recent months and years, it's that the drama never stops. Malheureusement. There could be multiple new twists before November 2024

Like you I'd make Trump about a 70% chance to win right now. If nothing else major happens and it is Trump v Biden in November I'd make Trump 95% likely to win. But that relies on NOTHING ELSE HAPPENING
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited July 14
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
  • StarryStarry Posts: 108
    The idea that because Scotland is out, they should support England because they're both British makes about as much sense as Manchester United fans celebrating City winning the Premiership because they are both from Manchester.

Sporting rivalry is at the heart of football.

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
    I think this is in fact auto-Leon. The one thing he finally worked out was that AI could replace him.
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Morefield still voted for Trump even in 2020 even if he isn't his biggest fan, that doesn't mean much

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Unless it isn't. Let's wait and see. But the narrow point is what is the post I was replying to saying if not that the Dems should give up on the election?

Predictions are hard esp about the future. Maybe this will bring home to the Dems the reality of mortality to really old fucks and they will sack Biden. Maybe Biden will express regret about the recent death of president Lincoln. We don't know.
    You not only said the sassytempt was trivial (which is ridiculous, it COULD decide the election), you also claimed it was "comic". Two people died, in brutal gunfire, and a nation has been roiled, spiralling towards greater civil strife. That is not "comic", and I speak as someone able to find humour in pretty much everything

It was a daft comment, but I'm sure you will recover your wits
    Pulpstar said:

Next week is the GOP convention anyway and Trump's VP pick announcement, Biden talk will then die down until the Dem convention in August
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,281

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

And possibly the first president to be elected to two noncontiguous terms since 1897.
    edited July 14

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

10am

I am having a chilled-out day on PB, coz I've been working hard on flints all week, but now they're done. Also, this is a genunely dramatic day in politics - one of the most dramatic any of us can recall - and like all PBers I am fascinated by the details and ramifications of political events

You'll be pleased to hear I am returning to work and life tomorrow
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,879
    edited July 14
    FPT
    Eabhal said:

@MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19

Thanks for that.

It's a brilliant book, because Laura talks about the history, the politics and the GBU of the network. And about a lot of people she met along the way.

She did a presentation at Active Travel Cafe last week, but I missed most of it because reasons, and the video is not up yet. There's talk about a rebrand at some point to include walking, as the journeys are much of both. But there are thousand of signs saying "NCN", so it's either some way off or someone needs a good thesaurus.

I've just got the e-book as my free trial for audible.

I'm quite impressed with Louise Haigh so far, as she seems open to changing her mind. She went from "Cycle in Sheffield - have you seen the hills?" to "E-cycles are great!" after borrowing one.

I need to know what colour her hair is though, she's just gone from ginger to blonde.

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I have already forgotten what I was doing when I heard the news that DJT had been shot. This is peak First time tragedy, second time farce material. The excitement junkies like to feel they're witnessing a pivotal moment. They are not.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,879
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Does anyone believe that? Did the Beast not ground itself in London one time?
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762
    Every time England are into a football tournament, I think I ought to support them. Then I watch and listen to the jingoistic media frenzy ……..

However, The National’s headline is unacceptable, and no better than something printed by the Sun or the Star. I haven’t read The National for years, and wouldn’t mourn it’s demise, any more than I would mourn the demise of the Mail, the Express or even the Flint Knappers Gazette.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    st

See new posts
    Conversation
    MEGHAN SCHILLER
    @MeghanKDKA
    #NEW: We are hearing from the first classmate of Thomas Crooks. His Bethel Park classmate described him as a loner who was bullied relentlessly and wore “hunting” outfits often in class.
    @KDKA
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,480
    Amusing how the clever level headed view is that today probably didn't change much. And the same clever level headed people believe a 2nd Trump term will herald the end of the world as we know it despite living through a first term where no wars were started and nothing much changed outside a virus even the truly mad couldn't try to pin on him. Mainstream informed British opinion just seems a bit... extreme.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I have already forgotten what I was doing when I heard the news that DJT had been shot. This is peak First time tragedy, second time farce material. The excitement junkies like to feel they're witnessing a pivotal moment. They are not.
    We woke up to it. Mrs C and I immediately thought that what with that and the football the TV news was pretty well done and dusted for the day.
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 874

Kamala Harris needs to get support to declare Biden unfit. The risk is that it might go to the Supreme Court?

Isn't the 25th Amendment quite procedurally clear, albeit convoluted? Even if the Supreme Court end up weighing in, surely it would be as referee rather than deciding the outcome? I know I sound hopelessly naive writing out these words!
    The guy at BBC Verify is equally mystified

"So, has anyone found any legitimate accounts or profiles for Thomas Matthew Crooks on any online platform?"

https://x.com/Shayan86/status/1812391799782019519

WTF is going on?
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

They can have a hundred thousand successes, and the only thing that gets noticed is when there is a failure.

That's the nature of the beast.

Remember when Prince Charles was attacked on stage? That happened despite the security around him, and the fact he was an obvious target for Irish terrorists. One failure, and fortunately the perpetrator did not have fatal intent. But how many schemes did the security prevent? We cannot know; they probably cannot be sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kang

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

Yes. I think we all remember how the murder of Jo Cox was going to swing the Brexit referendum to Remain.
    Maybe it did? Perhaps without it the late swing to Leave would have been even greater?
    Update:

"Open-source intelligence analysts reported that Crooks didn’t appear to use mainstream social media channels such as Facebook or Instagram and had an almost negligible internet footprint, which is highly unusual for a 20-year-old. Instead, analysts said that Crooks corresponded with friends and associates on a Discord server that they were now trying to access"

Telegraph
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,908

Every time England are into a football tournament, I think I ought to support them. Then I watch and listen to the jingoistic media frenzy ……..

However, The National’s headline is unacceptable, and no better than something printed by the Sun or the Star. I haven’t read The National for years, and wouldn’t mourn it’s demise, any more than I would mourn the demise of the Mail, the Express or even the Flint Knappers Gazette.

It's a likeable team. Southgate, Saka. No shame.

I also like the idea of "terrorism football" winning a tournament to irritate everyone who thinks Pep's Barca is the only way to play the game.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Leon said:

Update:

"Open-source intelligence analysts reported that Crooks didn’t appear to use mainstream social media channels such as Facebook or Instagram and had an almost negligible internet footprint, which is highly unusual for a 20-year-old. Instead, analysts said that Crooks corresponded with friends and associates on a Discord server that they were now trying to access"

Telegraph

Not really - discord and gaming is where an awful lot of 16-20 spend their time. Even TikTok is for oldies for them
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762
    Eabhal said:

I also like the idea of "terrorism football" winning a tournament to irritate everyone who thinks Pep's Barca is the only way to play the game.
    Southgateball!
    That's almost unreadable isn't it? What I have read seems incoherent. I don't quite see how it relates to the header. Could you elaborate?
    eek said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Not really - discord and gaming is where an awful lot of 16-20 spend their time. Even TikTok is for oldies for them
    I use Discord. :#
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,696
    Eabhal said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Well please resist the urge to shoot someone. A bicycle is not a good getaway vehicle.
    Omnium said:

That's almost unreadable isn't it? What I have read seems incoherent. I don't quite see how it relates to the header. Could you elaborate?
    Edit: I probably mean explain rather than elaborate given that link!
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

I wasn’t around in the 60s. But it might be noted how just as high profile suicides spark increases in suicides, and high profile school massacres seem to spark more school massacres, a high profile political assassination in the 60s seemed to be followed by several more. It’s a dangerous path America is now walking and Nov feels a long way off.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump declares that he cannot trust law enforcement to keep him safe while Biden is president, and therefore he is employing his own mercs for the job. Now THAT would be a notable plot point, if you believe the worst about DJT.

Eabhal said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Well please resist the urge to shoot someone. A bicycle is not a good getaway vehicle.
    WRONG. No ANPR and can go off-road.
    edited July 14
    Eabhal said:

Hey you shouldn't be making terrorism jokes the day after the worst atrocity in world history was averted by the miraculous intervention of Our Lady of Butler Pennsylvania.

Also a 20 year old who tried to assassinate a president turns out to be socially a bit atypical. What are the odds?
    Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Bit of a loner, shies away from social media. Most social interactions on a fairly obscure online forum, that’s mostly strident political argument. Hmmm
    It must also be quite hard to stop a lone wolf who does not telegraph his intent; as opposed to an individual who tells everyone, or a group who communicate between themselves.

Reagan's attempted assassination was by a lone wolf - but even in his case, there were warning signs. It should also be noted that he also considered killing Carter as well - it was not a party=political act as such. The same was true for the murder of David Amess a few years ago, where the attacker looked at killing MPs from several parties.

That's why it'll be interesting to know what sort of comms this guy had beforehand. If he was a lone wolf, then that makes the security service's job much harder.

But surely the most obvious way of preventing this sort of thing would be to make guns much, much harder to access. Which would also have the advantage of saving thousands of other lives. But I guess that's too obvious.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,609
    https://x.com/facethenation/status/1812518504811163888

Top Democratic sources believe that Democrats who had thoughts about challenging President Biden are now standing down "because of this fragile political moment," @CostaReports reports.

Concerns about Biden's debate performance "faded almost instantly" after the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, with Democratic sources say the party should stay cool at a turbulent time.

Top Democratic sources believe that Democrats who had thoughts about challenging President Biden are now standing down "because of this fragile political moment," @CostaReports reports.

Concerns about Biden's debate performance "faded almost instantly" after the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, with Democratic sources say the party should stay cool at a turbulent time.

Newsome as Pumpkin, Whitmer as Hunny Bunny. Being cool like a couple of fonzies.

"Top Democratic sources", really? So the report is bollocks.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-shooting-fault-liberals-mainstream-media-nigel-farage/

In a show of solidarity, Farage said he will travel to the U.S. in the coming days to meet with Trump. Previous plans by Farage to attend the Pennsylvania rally where the shooting took place were cancelled due to Reform UK leader’s recent election to the British parliament.

• WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 305
    moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    34m

I wasn’t around in the 60s. But it might be noted how just as high profile suicides spark increases in suicides, and high profile school massacres seem to spark more school massacres, a high profile political assassination in the 60s seemed to be followed by several more. It’s a dangerous path America is now walking and Nov feels a long way off.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Trump declares that he cannot trust law enforcement to keep him safe while Biden is president, and therefore he is employing his own mercs for the job. Now THAT would be a notable plot point, if you believe the worst about DJT.

And it is at that point we really do have to wonder about stepping stones to things that happened in the past.
    edited July 14

Well well.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,154
    Jesus.

That must be the most nakedly xenophobic newspaper front cover I've ever seen.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

10am

I am having a chilled-out day on PB, coz I've been working hard on flints all week, but now they're done. Also, this is a genunely dramatic day in politics - one of the most dramatic any of us can recall - and like all PBers I am fascinated by the details and ramifications of political events

It is not a seminal moment. Had Trump perished and you would be correct.

Some misguided, unfortunate 20 year old loser in a land of freely available automatic weapons unfortunately took someone's life, grazed Trump's ear and died during his foolish misadventure. Other than the Trump's ear bit it's a story that plays out in the USA day in day out.

"Top Democratic sources", really? So the report is bollocks.
    Someone shooting at trump proves that Biden is not senile. Obviously.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

10am

It is not a seminal moment. Had Trump perished and you would be correct.

Some misguided, unfortunate 20 year old loser in a land of freely available automatic weapons unfortunately took someone's life, grazed Trump's ear and died during his foolish misadventure. Other than the Trump's ear bit it's a story that plays out in the USA day in day out.
    That’s an odd perspective. You don’t understand much about trump’s psyche if you think this will be a humdrum event that quickly leaves the media narrative.
This discussion has been closed.