Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

If only Sunak had waited a fortnight? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Seems the Catholic Church is going to give the Conservative Party a run for its money in destructive infighting while ignoring the real issues.

The current Pope dislikes the pre vatican 2 latin mass, which is growing in popularity, especially amongst the young. It involves silence, beatiful Latin liturgy and sublime music. This is greatly alarming the Pope and his chief henchman Arthur Roche who he has made a Cwrdinal in charge of Liturgy (and was known as Blessed Arthur of the Padlocks when Bishop of Leeds due to his enthusiasm for closing churches).

They see it as a threat to their polyester, banal, 1970s timewarp, guitar wailing liturgies so semi banned it in 2021. It appears that they are going to go the whole hog and have united just about every corner of the British Establishment in outrage. A letter has duly been sent to The Times signed by 45 of the Great and Good (see attached)

These include. Lord Alton, Sir Nicholas Colerage, Sir Rocco Forte, Michael Gove, Lord Lloyd Webber, Princess Michael of Kent, Fraser Nelson, Rory Stewart, interior designer Nina Campbell and fashion designer Paul Smith.

Elsewhere none other than George Galloway has expressed his concern at such plans.

What an almighty own goal.

That letter came out 10 days or so ago, but it's sentiments are spot on. Apparently a similar letter from Agatha Christie et al in 1971 stopped a previous attempt to expunge the Mass of the Ages.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,260
    Right. Shower, food, football, wine, then absinthe and Tramadol if we lose
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Andy_JS said:

Anyway, totally off-topic:

Our town's just had the first Charles III postbox installed. We're really on the tourist (*) map now!

(*) For members of the Letter Box Study Group...

I'd like to see it. Somewhere in Cambridgeshire IIRC.
    Cambourne, on the High Street, outside a rather nice coffee shop and opposite the Asbo Arms. Plenty of parking at the (very) nearby Morrisons.

If you make it here, let me know and I'll buy you a coffee/ pint.
    Been all over BBC East. Children posting letters to the King etc.
    The funny thing is they didn't get kids from the nearby primary school involved, but from one on the other side of the village. There's another primary between them as well.
    TBF it could just depend which head the BBC managed to get hold of on the phone first who said yes.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,103
    mwadams said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

@MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19

Thanks for that.

It's a brilliant book, because Laura talks about the history, the politics and the GBU of the network. And about a lot of people she met along the way.

She did a presentation at Active Travel Cafe last week, but I missed most of it because reasons, and the video is not up yet. There's talk about a rebrand at some point to include walking, as the journeys are much of both. But there are thousand of signs saying "NCN", so it's either some way off or someone needs a good thesaurus.

I've just got the e-book as my free trial for audible.

I'm quite impressed with Louise Haigh so far, as she seems open to changing her mind. She went from "Cycle in Sheffield - have you seen the hills?" to "E-cycles are great!" after borrowing one.

I need to know what colour her hair is though, she's just gone from ginger to blonde.
    One thing worries me about Louise Haigh's TwiX bio, and it is not her barnet. This line: MP for Sheffield Heeley and Secretary of State for Transport. For casework, please email Louise@LouiseHaigh.org.uk
    https://x.com/LouHaigh

Surely an MP's casework should go to an official, properly secured, parliamentary email address. Now, maybe this does, after redirection, but it looks bad.
    Good point.
    Not really. My MP does the same. We have no way of knowing the domains are not hosted on parliament servers.
    I think most do the same. My MP is daniel@danielzeichner.co.uk

To be honest, it is sensible. They don't want their entire communications history to become inaccessible at 3am on the night of a disappointing election.
    Otoh surely ongoing casework should be handed over to their successor MP.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119

Every time England are into a football tournament, I think I ought to support them. Then I watch and listen to the jingoistic media frenzy ……..

However, The National’s headline is unacceptable, and no better than something printed by the Sun or the Star. I haven’t read The National for years, and wouldn’t mourn it’s demise, any more than I would mourn the demise of the Mail, the Express or even the Flint Knappers Gazette.

Tbf the National's headline is a joke surely? That if England wins, the English will never shut up about it? No?
    Even if England loses there’ll be not much shutting up about it. Couple more years and we’ll be onto the third 30 years of hurt.
    The optimistic implication that Scots don’t also demand fried breakfast when on holiday on the costas, retire in their towns or sponge off their public services is, well, a bit heroic isn’t it?

It would be like the English complaining that the Welsh voted Brexit.
    I'm not entirely sure I can bear to watch this
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Every time England are into a football tournament, I think I ought to support them. Then I watch and listen to the jingoistic media frenzy ……..

However, The National’s headline is unacceptable, and no better than something printed by the Sun or the Star. I haven’t read The National for years, and wouldn’t mourn it’s demise, any more than I would mourn the demise of the Mail, the Express or even the Flint Knappers Gazette.

Tbf the National's headline is a joke surely? That if England wins, the English will never shut up about it? No?
    Even if England loses there’ll be not much shutting up about it. Couple more years and we’ll be onto the third 30 years of hurt.
    I'm old enough to remember 1966.

Actually, more a case of thinking that SKS is (yet again) lucky in not having any kneeling, armbands, etc., or rather his backbenchers' reactions to aforesaid, to contend with.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

So PBers are shocked and/or appalled when a reliable news course, reports on a reliable news channel, that he's been in contact with well-placed sources who - for variety of reasons - are speaking off the record?

Standard journalism. Or what used to be standard journalism, before early-21st century DIY "news".

I'm not shocked by such things, but standards are so low and many 'journalists' in reality just political commentators that the trustworthiness of anonymous sources or off the record statements - even if not named for justified reasons - is essentially nil.

Much will be reliable, but how am I supposed to know that, when even the 'reliable' channels are rarely totally trustworthy. Or the people leaking/saying things to them not to abuse the integrity of those they say it to.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Leon said:

I had the joy of waking up feeling like death and testing positive for f-ing Covid so I will be surprised if I manage to stay awake. Seriously pissed off as had a great viewing party and BBQ lined up for today. Covid - still being a shit after over four years.

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

@MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19

Thanks for that.

It's a brilliant book, because Laura talks about the history, the politics and the GBU of the network. And about a lot of people she met along the way.

She did a presentation at Active Travel Cafe last week, but I missed most of it because reasons, and the video is not up yet. There's talk about a rebrand at some point to include walking, as the journeys are much of both. But there are thousand of signs saying "NCN", so it's either some way off or someone needs a good thesaurus.

I'm quite impressed with Louise Haigh so far, as she seems open to changing her mind. She went from "Cycle in Sheffield - have you seen the hills?" to "E-cycles are great!" after borrowing one.

I need to know what colour her hair is though, she's just gone from ginger to blonde.
    One thing worries me about Louise Haigh's TwiX bio, and it is not her barnet. This line: MP for Sheffield Heeley and Secretary of State for Transport. For casework, please email Louise@LouiseHaigh.org.uk

Surely an MP's casework should go to an official, properly secured, parliamentary email address. Now, maybe this does, after redirection, but it looks bad.
    Why does it look bad? It makes her appear more like a normal person.
    Elected and other public officials using non-official emails for official business, is inherently dubious.

At least in USA, has been used to circumvent and outright violate public-disclosure laws.

Which does NOT appear to be the case with the newly Rt. Hon. Louise Haigh MP, but just sayin'.
    People definitely try to use it for that purpose here as well. It's not supposed to work, but it still makes it harder to get hold of, so people still do it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,036

Seems the Catholic Church is going to give the Conservative Party a run for its money in destructive infighting while ignoring the real issues.

The current Pope dislikes the pre vatican 2 latin mass, which is growing in popularity, especially amongst the young. It involves silence, beatiful Latin liturgy and sublime music. This is greatly alarming the Pope and his chief henchman Arthur Roche who he has made a Cwrdinal in charge of Liturgy (and was known as Blessed Arthur of the Padlocks when Bishop of Leeds due to his enthusiasm for closing churches).

They see it as a threat to their polyester, banal, 1970s timewarp, guitar wailing liturgies so semi banned it in 2021. It appears that they are going to go the whole hog and have united just about every corner of the British Establishment in outrage. A letter has duly been sent to The Times signed by 45 of the Great and Good (see attached)

These include. Lord Alton, Sir Nicholas Colerage, Sir Rocco Forte, Michael Gove, Lord Lloyd Webber, Princess Michael of Kent, Fraser Nelson, Rory Stewart, interior designer Nina Campbell and fashion designer Paul Smith.

Elsewhere none other than George Galloway has expressed his concern at such plans.

One thing that was good about Pope Benedict was he had more of an appreciation for sacred tradition and beauty in religion than his successor.

No Archbishop of Canterbury would get away with trying to remove BCP services
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Good point.
    Not really. My MP does the same. We have no way of knowing the domains are not hosted on parliament servers.
    On the contrary, you can be absolutely sure the domains are not hosted on Parliament servers.
    Why?
    IanB2 said:

Everyone ready?

He's too nervous even to watch the pre-game coverage?
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

First, it looks insecure and unofficial. Second, normal people have separate work and personal addresses. Third, most companies will have addresses named for functions or organisational units, such as enquiries@example.com or hr@example.com or MPforConstituencyName@houseofcommons.blah.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    Carnyx said:

I'm old enough to remember 1966.

Actually, more a case of thinking that SKS is (yet again) lucky in not having any kneeling, armbands, etc., or rather his backbenchers' reactions to aforesaid, to contend with.
    Old enough to remember? I watched it in a pub in Cologne (or Koeln, as the locals insist on calling it.)

It was great fun, no bad feelings. Don't think people took it so seriously then.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?
    This may be worst take in your long, sorry, really short PB history

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot
    Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
    Agree. Leon has really lost the plot. I don't know about everyone else but my weekend has involved a few odd jobs at our holiday home, a few trips to the pub, a few meals out, a party this afternoon, oh and yes the shocking news of Trump getting shot which I saw this morning and got mentioned once today on the way to the party. @leon try and get a grip. Your life must be hell. Try getting involved in stuff instead of ranting endless about it. There are plenty of campaigns out there which you could get involved in and use your energy productively rather than ranting and it would be more satisfying.
    Or, I can do what the fuck I like??

Some days I post on here heavily, usually big news days. Other days I don't, coz I am working, living, dating, drinking

Also: WHAT THE FUCK IS IT TO YOU??

Nothing to do with me. Just trying to be constructive. You regularly lose the plot and do post endlessly. It is difficult to think of any time you have off. You have lots of energy. Why not put it to constructive use? You would be an asset to many campaigns. It seems such a waste to spend your time ranting here.
    You have no idea what I do or how I live. What you don’t understand - and I have tried to explain this many times - is that I am not normal. IQ etc

I can multitask my brain to a phenomenal extent (unless I am doing intense creative work which needs focus, but that is finished for now - the new flint was finished yesterday)

So today while I’ve been “sitting on PB endlessly” I have also - redrafted an article for the gazette. Made myself lunch. Had a nice long sunbathe on the roof terrace. Texted with a few friends about whatnot. Had a detailed chat with a friend in America about technology (a shared interest). Had a half hour phone call with a friend in Cornwall about his love life and my old house and the Trump story

I’ve also been for a walk around Oppède le Vieux and arranged some of my impending roadtrip with my daughter. And of course I’ve read about ten articles about the Trump thing and about 500 Twitter threads and also I read a quarter of a book about “Awe” recommended by a mate but it was crap

I did ALL of that while apparently posting endlessly on PB

Because I can multitask. I can post on here while doing other stuff. I can dip in to PB, fire off an absurd rant or a stupid joke, then dip in 20 minutes later

Can you not do this? Perhaps not. I can
    Well frankly that sounds like a pretty average day. Funnily enough I make myself lunch everyday; breakfast and dinner as well. I have sent and received umpteen WhatsApps, spoken on the phone to friends, walked the dog, been to a party 30 miles away, posted on PB, fixed a gate and will be going to the pub shortly to watch football. I have also been to the loo a few times. Honestly you make it sound as if that is not normal. But key is instead of ranting about stuff on here in a demented way I get involved in stuff. I campaign on behalf of the LDs, I'm involved in numerous campaigns. Others join charities or the local church or CAB or campaign on behalf of other political parties, etc, etc.

You have the energy, why not use it.
    I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    I sleep all night, I work all day
    I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
    I go to the lavatory
    On Wednesdays I go shopping
    And have buttered scones for tea...
    Well exactly. The whole point of my post is why list out a number of things everyone does everyday.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Sandpit said:

The crowd member shot and killed yesterday has also been identified. RIP Corey Comperatore, who was there at the rally with his wife and daughter. His daughter posted a very poignant comment.

https://x.com/taylerusa/status/1812507778335887390

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/corey-died-a-hero-gov-shapiro-remembers-man-killed-at-trump-rally/3911570/

‘Corey died a hero': Gov. Shapiro remembers Pa. man killed at Trump rally
    In a press conference on Sunday, Pa. Governor Josh Shapiro said Corey Comperatore, a former firefighter, was killed during an assassination attempt on the life of former President Donald Trump

Governor Josh Shapiro said Corey Comperatore, the man who was killed during an assassination attempt on the life of former President Donald Trump on Saturday, died a hero during a press event on Sunday.

According to the governor, Comperatore was a former fire chief, the father of two daughters and a vocal supporter of Trump.

"We lost a fellow Pennsylvanian last night: Corey Comperatore," said Shapiro. "Corey was a girl dad. Corey was a firefighter. Corey went to church every Sunday. Corey loved his community. And most especially, Corey loved his family."

Shapiro said he spoke to Comparatore's family and that "Corey died a hero."

"Corey dove on his family to protect them last night at this rally," he said. "Corey was the very best of us. May his memory be a blessing."

Shapiro said he also reached out to the families of two others who were critically injured during the shooting on Saturday, as well.

However, Shapiro refused to comment on the ongoing investigation into the shooting on Saturday, saying that law enforcement officials would provide additional details throughout the day.

The governor also said he has ordered flags throughout the state to be flown at half-staff in Comperatore's memory.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,776
    Can we refrain from going ad-hom on Leon ?
    I know he does it too, but that doesn’t make it right.

I admit I also occasionally succumb to the temptation, but I do prefer to direct my spleen at his nonsense rather than at him.
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

1) In what way does it make her look like a normal person?

2) She's not a normal person, she's an MP, and casework is official business which may need to be officially handled, for example if she goes off sick. There's no need for a personal email for such business.

3) Why would she not want to use the official email for such purposes? I assume she isn't getting personal emails at that address, but why separate them out? I don't buy a distinction between constituency and legislative work.
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Right now I’m having a walk around my village and this is my view

If this is hell I’m REALLY looking forward to heaven

What you don't realise is that those things aren't trees and they weren't there until five minutes before you arrived.

woooo-OOOOOO-ooooo, spooky :)
    Cypress trees really are spooky. If plants can have noom, then cypress trees possess it

Van Gogh painted them perfectly. Like green spires of fire, especially when the Mistral tousles them
    In sad cypress let me be laid.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Vamos Espagn... er, I mean Come on, England!

(oops!)

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot
    Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
    Agree. Leon has really lost the plot. I don't know about everyone else but my weekend has involved a few odd jobs at our holiday home, a few trips to the pub, a few meals out, a party this afternoon, oh and yes the shocking news of Trump getting shot which I saw this morning and got mentioned once today on the way to the party. @leon try and get a grip. Your life must be hell. Try getting involved in stuff instead of ranting endless about it. There are plenty of campaigns out there which you could get involved in and use your energy productively rather than ranting and it would be more satisfying.

Some days I post on here heavily, usually big news days. Other days I don't, coz I am working, living, dating, drinking

Nothing to do with me. Just trying to be constructive. You regularly lose the plot and do post endlessly. It is difficult to think of any time you have off. You have lots of energy. Why not put it to constructive use? You would be an asset to many campaigns. It seems such a waste to spend your time ranting here.
    You have no idea what I do or how I live. What you don’t understand - and I have tried to explain this many times - is that I am not normal. IQ etc

I can multitask my brain to a phenomenal extent (unless I am doing intense creative work which needs focus, but that is finished for now - the new flint was finished yesterday)

So today while I’ve been “sitting on PB endlessly” I have also - redrafted an article for the gazette. Made myself lunch. Had a nice long sunbathe on the roof terrace. Texted with a few friends about whatnot. Had a detailed chat with a friend in America about technology (a shared interest). Had a half hour phone call with a friend in Cornwall about his love life and my old house and the Trump story

I’ve also been for a walk around Oppède le Vieux and arranged some of my impending roadtrip with my daughter. And of course I’ve read about ten articles about the Trump thing and about 500 Twitter threads and also I read a quarter of a book about “Awe” recommended by a mate but it was crap

Because I can multitask. I can post on here while doing other stuff. I can dip in to PB, fire off an absurd rant or a stupid joke, then dip in 20 minutes later

Well frankly that sounds like a pretty average day. Funnily enough I make myself lunch everyday; breakfast and dinner as well. I have sent and received umpteen WhatsApps, spoken on the phone to friends, walked the dog, been to a party 30 miles away, posted on PB, fixed a gate and will be going to the pub shortly to watch football. I have also been to the loo a few times. Honestly you make it sound as if that is not normal. But key is instead of ranting about stuff on here in a demented way I get involved in stuff. I campaign on behalf of the LDs, I'm involved in numerous campaigns. Others join charities or the local church or CAB or campaign on behalf of other political parties, etc, etc.

I am not sure campaigning on behalf of political parties is the pinnacle of using your time or intellect to the best effect - Its essentially a zero sum game isn't it? Actually Leon is better writing his novels and entertaining on here imho!
    I never said it was. It was one of many examples of stuff one can do. But what is the point on endlessly ranting on here and doing nothing about it. Get off your arse and do something. Stop being an angry old man and do something about it.
    kle4 said:

So PBers are shocked and/or appalled when a reliable news course, reports on a reliable news channel, that he's been in contact with well-placed sources who - for variety of reasons - are speaking off the record?

Standard journalism. Or what used to be standard journalism, before early-21st century DIY "news".

I'm not shocked by such things, but standards are so low and many 'journalists' in reality just political commentators that the trustworthiness of anonymous sources or off the record statements - even if not named for justified reasons - is essentially nil.

Much will be reliable, but how am I supposed to know that, when even the 'reliable' channels are rarely totally trustworthy. Or the people leaking/saying things to them not to abuse the integrity of those they say it to.
    Yes. However, declaring Face the Nation and Robert Costas (a Cambridge man BTW) as "bollocks" without any evidence - in fact, despite the evidence - is bullshit.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Leon said:

2-1 to England!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,505
    TimS said:

The optimistic implication that Scots don’t also demand fried breakfast when on holiday on the costas, retire in their towns or sponge off their public services is, well, a bit heroic isn’t it?

For sure. The more extreme examples are likely supporting England tonight though as they quaff their Tennent’s lager in Benidorm bars.

https://x.com/stevemillerpafc/status/1811758963785928861?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
    boulay said:

Leon said:

I had the joy of waking up feeling like death and testing positive for f-ing Covid so I will be surprised if I manage to stay awake. Seriously pissed off as had a great viewing party and BBQ lined up for today. Covid - still being a shit after over four years.
    Get well soon.
    Sympathy.

Definite summer spike; I’ve narrowly dodged it (friends came down with it) a couple of times in the last fortnight.
  • DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 813
    Anyone else betting on this?

£35 on Spain at 1.75.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    edited July 14
    Evening all :)

England play better when I don't watch them so I'm off for a pleasant drive in the car for a couple of hours - knowing my luck, I'll get back just as the penalties are starting.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,476
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

1) In what way does it make her look like a normal person?

2) She's not a normal person, she's an MP, and casework is official business which may need to be officially handled, for example if she goes off sick. There's no need for a personal email for such business.

3) Why would she not want to use the official email for such purposes? I assume she isn't getting personal emails at that address, but why separate them out? I don't buy a distinction between constituency and legislative work.
    I'd fell much happier sending potentially personal information to a parliament email address rather than a personal one.

I guess it's just another example of how much being an MP is a weird occupation.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    And we’re off with two of the drabbest anthems going.

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I am not sure campaigning on behalf of political parties is the pinnacle of using your time or intellect to the best effect - Its essentially a zero sum game isn't it? Actually Leon is better writing his novels and entertaining on here imho!
    I never said it was. It was one of many examples of stuff one can do. But what is the point on endlessly ranting on here and doing nothing about it. Get off your arse and do something. Stop being an angry old man and do something about it.
    I write about politics for the fucking Gazette, you stupid old twat
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Nasty. Sympathies. Ugh

Yet a small part of my envies you being unconscious, if we lose
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,361
    No predictions this time. Go England though!
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

He’s one post off telling you to ‘get a life’.

Bizarre.
    Nigelb said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Get well soon.
    Sympathy.

Definite summer spike; I’ve narrowly dodged it (friends came down with it) a couple of times in the last fortnight.
    Thanks - to be honest I had pretty much forgotten that Covid was still a thing but I hear it’s running rampant just not as potent.

Anyone else betting on this?

£35 on Spain at 1.75.

England to win the trophy for me. No bet in 90 mins.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,335

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Good point.
    On the contrary, you can be absolutely sure the domains are not hosted on Parliament servers.
    Why?
    Because only .gov.uk addresses are hosted on government servers.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,335
    Taz said:

At least the Spanish no longer have to remember all the words to theirs!

Here goes, best of luck England!
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,212
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Get well soon!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    boulay said:

Leon said:

There's a lot of it about at the moment.
    Take care.
    England on the back foot already.
    edited July 14
    Taz said:

The tune to our national anthem used to be used by half of Europe, which apparently confused First World War tommies when they heard it coming from the German lines. For that reason, I'm inclined to think it probably better than some make out. Even the words which at first sight are trite to the point of moronic, steer clear of urging citizens to take up arms in a way that would have them tear-gassed and killed by the riot gendarmes. As Al Murray put it, we call on God, who works for us, to keep the monarch safe.

And there is an important political and constitutional point made in the second verse. May he defend our laws. Our laws, not the king's laws or god's laws, but our common law and laws made in Parliament by our representatives. So it turns out our national anthem is the best in all the world.
    Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Well I think that says it all if you think that is doing something about it. Writing an article in the Gazette is no different to posting there other than you get paid. I mean do stuff to right the wrongs in what you believe. Ranting isn't doing stuff. Most here do stuff.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    I see football commentary is exactly as inane and lacking in insight as ever. They should look at other sports and ask what they do that seems beyond them.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,694

Seems the Catholic Church is going to give the Conservative Party a run for its money in destructive infighting while ignoring the real issues.

They joined a faith that believes the Pope to be infallible - suck it up.
    edited July 14
    Taz said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

He’s one post off telling you to ‘get a life’.

Bizarre.
    Yep. Not far off. It does seem a bit wasted for someone so talented

Taz said:

The tune to our national anthem used to be used by half of Europe, which apparently confused First World War tommies when they heard it coming from the German lines. For that reason, I'm inclined to think it probably better than some make out. Even the words which at first sight are trite to the point of moronic, steer clear of urging citizens to take up arms in a way that would have them tear-gassed and killed by the riot gendarmes. As Al Murray put it, we call on God, who works for us, to keep the monarch safe.

And there is an important political and constitutional point made in the second verse. May he defend our laws. Our laws, not the king's laws or god's laws, but our common law and laws made in Parliament by our representatives. So it turns out our national anthem is the best in all the world.
    The Britten arrangement shows it can be quite an attractive piece of music.
    Belted out by a crowd, it just isn’t.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,879
    I started the Louise High hair colour thing, so I'll wrap it up.

Many hair colours seem to be part of her style, which is fabulous.
    https://x.com/LouHaigh/media

And this is very Sheffield:

“How much of the taxpayers money do you spend on dying your hair that disgusting colour?”
    “Crazy colours costs £1.99 a bottle, thanks for asking x”

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/sheffield-mp-louise-haigh-expertly-takes-down-twitter-critic-who-blasts-her-disgusting-hair-274193
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089

It would help if you actually read comments before remarking on them.

'Catholics and non-Catholics, believers and non-believers'

TimS said:

For sure. The more extreme examples are likely supporting England tonight though as they quaff their Tennent’s lager in Benidorm bars.

https://x.com/stevemillerpafc/status/1811758963785928861?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
    No true Scotsman
    Pretty good thread by Democratic Rep Andy Kim.

https://x.com/AndyKimNJ/status/1812463955551391770
    When Lincoln was shot he wore a coat embroidered with “One Country, One Destiny.” I’ve turned to those 4 words to help me process this moment. This assassination attempt was one of the worst events I’ve seen in our democracy. It feels like we are a country unmoored…
  • Leon raves about the so-called 'views' he gets from his village.

Well, a short walk from my front door and I reach the ONE AND ONLY, UNIQUE, AND FIRST Charles III Postbox !!!!

I think the excitement would kill him. And if he really wants a dangerous life, he could go and get a pint in the pub opposite...

;)

Photo please and where is it?
    I put a piccie below. It's magnificent; full of NOOM. In fact, it epitomises NOOM. I can see poets coming to visit, to wax lyrical about the shininess of its paint, the glorious sheen of the brass plaque attached to it, and the breathtaking location, opposite a pub, an old people's home and a dentist.

And if their hearts survive the awe-inspiring pilgrimage, there's a trig pillar about a ten minute walk away! Beside a cycle path!!!

I truly live in God's own land.
    Alas I can't see the Photo. Tempted to drive over and inspect it but that would mean enduring the curse of the Black Cat.
    How is the Black Cat at the moment? I don't have much reason to drive west of St Neots atm, so haven't seen how the new road works are getting on (I live near the other end of the works. In fact, I'm still waiting for them to open the new cycle path that was supposed to open last Monday...)
    Cone infested with a 40mph speed limit along the A421 much of the way to the Bedford Bypass.

I see the new road will be A421 not A428. That leaves the question as to whether the A428 to the A14 at Cambridge will be renumbered A421. Knowing this country. Probably not...
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Well I think that says it all if you think that is doing something about it. Writing an article in the Gazette is no different to posting there other than you get paid. I mean do stuff to right the wrongs in what you believe. Ranting isn't doing stuff. Most here do stuff.
    You think expressing my political opinion in a famous magazine read by 100,000 people has less effect than some old git like you sitting in a church hall pontificating on dog poo?

Well. It’s a view. And it’s the view of a cretin

Infallible when speaking ex cathedra on matters of faith and morals.
    I can only bear to watch this game if I also listen to insane trance music and dance like a geriatric lunatic at the same time so it isn’t really happening somehow

Sue me. We all cope differently
  • FossFoss Posts: 899

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Good point.
    Why?
    E-mail for 'LouiseHaigh.org.uk' is initially handled by Google.
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

You think expressing my political opinion in a famous magazine read by 100,000 people has less effect than some old git like you sitting in a church hall pontificating on dog poo?

Your lack of understanding is gob smacking. I don't sit in a church hall pontificating about anything and have never done so. But I go out there and do stuff for people. You know actual stuff that makes a difference on a voluntary basis. Stuff you could do rather writing about it. By all means write about it make a living, but then in your spare time rather than complaining do something like most people here do. It is very satisfying rather than ranting and going red in the face everyday and travel is no excuse for not doing so because much of what I do is on the internet.
  • Taz said:

I had an American girlfriend many years ago. Attended the local church for Mass on a Sunday and all went well until the end when the organ started playing the National Anthem so I sang God Save Our Gracious Queen, which wasn't the correct words over there..
  • FossFoss Posts: 899
    Time's next cover.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Shaw's not put a foot wrong yet, England would probably be 1-0 up if he had had a dive mind.
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Your lack of understanding is gob smacking. I don't sit in a church hall pontificating about anything and have never done so. But I go out there and do stuff for people. You know actual stuff that makes a difference on a voluntary basis. Stuff you could do rather writing about it. By all means write about it make a living, but then in your spare time rather than complaining do something like most people here do. It is very satisfying rather than ranting and going red in the face everyday and travel is no excuse for not doing so because much of what I do is on the internet.
    I think you are the guy who could find nothing better to do in Vegas than fantasize about insulting the local women?
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Well, one thing I do is write so well I can make easy six figures thus paying squillions to the exchequer thereby paying for everyone else. I’m not sure my time is better employed being a creepy online volunteer whatever the fuck that is, what do you do, tell people to go to the food bank via Snapchat?

You’re a dull man with a dull mind. Is all
  • Seems the Catholic Church is going to give the Conservative Party a run for its money in destructive infighting while ignoring the real issues.

Yes, otherwise I would be seeking his advice on betting matters and there wouldn't need to be a collection plate...

I think there have only been about 3 ex cathedra pronouncements since the infallibility Dogma came into existence in ~1850.

It is the equjvalent of a UK supreme court case involving all 12 judges.
    AP (via Seattle Times) - ‘Tone it down!’

That’s the message from Rep. Mike Kelly, the Republican congressman who represents the Butler Farm area and who was sitting off to the side behind Trump when the shooting unfolded at a rally in Pennsylvania.

Kelly says he’d brought his wife and grandchildren to the Trump rally at the fairgrounds, the same place where generations of children have shown off their farm animals and baking skills – a beloved spot he himself visited as a child.

“I am in a state of bewilderment of how and what has happened to the United States of America,” Kelly told The Associated Press.

This being Sunday, he encouraged Americans to take a day, go to a house of worship, and think of how each person can make a difference in bringing more civility to political discourse.

To his colleagues and others quickly assigning blame or calling for a congressional investigation, Kelly urged everyone to let law enforcement do its work and not turn the probe into a political one.

“I just wish people — tone it down,” he said. “Quit trying to find, to blame somebody. The blame lies somewhere in the psyche of America.”
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Foss said:

Time's next cover.

Trump Jima

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I think you are the guy who could find nothing better to do in Vegas than fantasize about insulting the local women?
    Well no I did no such thing. Are you the stupid arse that posted that under a different name previously, because if you are you should be ashamed of yourself. Pathetic.

TY Mr Paisley

Yes, otherwise I would be seeking his advice on betting matters and there wouldn't need to be a collection plate...

I think there have only been about 3 ex cathedra pronouncements since the infallibility Dogma came into existence in ~1850.

One was stating the rules for infallibility (bit circular) one was immaculate conception of bvm (which does NOT mean virgin birth) dunno about a third.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    Seems to be more aggressive on here tonight than on election night!

Maybe cos us CON came on here 4 July, fronted it out and took defeat with dignity 👍
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

@SeanT Got Wood
    Pulpstar said:

Foss said:

Time's next cover.

Trump Jima
    Well, that was a staged photo..
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,281
    Put my Alcaraz winnings on England in-play. 3/1 doesn't seem bad, but then football is not my area.

Pulpstar said:

Foss said:

Time's next cover.

Trump Jima
    Do NOT think that's correct.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    My OH: What do you think Rishi Sunak is doing tonight?
    10yo: Crying and eating bowl after bowl of Ben and Jerry's. Again.

Seems to be more aggressive on here tonight than on election night!

Maybe cos us CON came on here 4 July, fronted it out and took defeat with dignity 👍

58 years of hurt is since I was 4. It takes its toll

Got a quid on ingerland at 50 (intro offer) and put 2 on Spain and 2 on the draw. I think this makes me invincibly green but may have fluffed the math
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    Is something happening? Comments seem pretty quiet.
    mwadams said:

Ben & Jerry's is a bit leftwing for Sunak. Häagen-Dazs, please.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,583
    Game needs a goal

One was stating the rules for infallibility (bit circular) one was immaculate conception of bvm (which does NOT mean virgin birth) dunno about a third.
    She turned up in southern France shortly afterwards and confirmed the second one.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,212

Pulpstar said:

Foss said:

Time's next cover.

Trump Jima
    The Iwo Jima photo was, indeed, not staged, although there was confusion around that which is why some people think it was. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima has the full story.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

Is something happening? Comments seem pretty quiet.

Just awaiting the inevitable.
  • Is something happening? Comments seem pretty quiet.

Everyone is too busy celebrating Spains victory in the mens singles at Wimbledon.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426

Most Catholics are united on -

1) the Pope is the infallible Holy Father
    2) he does say some silly things, which are totally ignored in real life.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,154
    David Seaman is a fantastic goalkeeper.
  • Pulpstar said:

Foss said:

Time's next cover.

Trump Jima
    Well, it was taken on a stage.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    C'Mon England!

Like Americans pretending the president is actually the commander-in-chief.
    mwadams said:

Why on earth would anyone ask a ten year old child what the former PM is doing on a Sunday night?

She turned up in southern France shortly afterwards and confirmed the second one.
    Had an Irish gf who was named after not 1 or 2 but all 3 of those fibbing little minxes at Fatima. Jacinta is a pretty name till you realise it is Hyacinth.

This one is quite good at (2), his latest gaffe out Bravermanned Suella Bravamanns US speech by a long shot.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,361
    Will Spain be disappointed with that half?
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,534
    mwadams said:

I see football commentary is exactly as inane and lacking in insight as ever. They should look at other sports and ask what they do that seems beyond them.

It's not so different from the politics coverage we get from the beeb, sky etc, really.
    Leon said:

I can only bear to watch this game if I also listen to insane trance music and dance like a geriatric lunatic at the same time so it isn’t really happening somehow

Sue me. We all cope differently

I find a bottle of whisky also works.

Pulpstar said:

Foss said:

Time's next cover.

Trump Jima
    Ok, to be fair it was not the moment that the Marines took Mt Suribachi, the famous pic was a second go at it several hours after the actual event.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,062
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

I think it needs to be recorded and stored securely. When i was in the civil service many moons ago, I had a gsi email (eg firstname.lastname@madeupplace.gis.gov.uk) although that's been superseded now.
    IanB2 said:

Game needs a goal

It would probably be a Spain goal though, so nil-nil is a result so far.
This discussion has been closed.