Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

If only Sunak had waited a fortnight? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Update:

"Open-source intelligence analysts reported that Crooks didn’t appear to use mainstream social media channels such as Facebook or Instagram and had an almost negligible internet footprint, which is highly unusual for a 20-year-old. Instead, analysts said that Crooks corresponded with friends and associates on a Discord server that they were now trying to access"

Telegraph

Bit of a loner, shies away from social media. Most social interactions on a fairly obscure online forum, that’s mostly strident political argument. Hmmm
    If it was only one shooter, doesn’t that rule out @Leon?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    As someone who isn't English I would like Spain to win tonight because they have played the best football across the tournament and deserve to win the tournament. England, frankly, hasn't.

But if England play better than their opponents on the night and take the cup, good luck to them. That's the way these tournaments are supposed to work.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    Leon said:

Update:

"Open-source intelligence analysts reported that Crooks didn’t appear to use mainstream social media channels such as Facebook or Instagram and had an almost negligible internet footprint, which is highly unusual for a 20-year-old. Instead, analysts said that Crooks corresponded with friends and associates on a Discord server that they were now trying to access"

Telegraph

I don't know why people find that hard to believe. Lots of people have a very small presence online. Even amongst people who have accounts a lot of people try to keep anonymous or post rarely. Social media like a lot of things has a few who use it intensely and many who form part of the long tail. Obviously journalists find this hard to understand as most of them will be in the first group.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,609
    https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1812534637035397609

Keir Starmer has spoken to Donald Trump by phone this afternoon to condemn the assassination attempt, offer condolences for victims and wish him a quick recovery
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

I don't know why people find that hard to believe. Lots of people have a very small presence online. Even amongst people who have accounts a lot of people try to keep anonymous or post rarely. Social media like a lot of things has a few who use it intensely and many who form part of the long tail. Obviously journalists find this hard to understand as most of them will be in the first group.
    A kid who lives on a gamer forum and gets no news or perspective from anywhere else, sounds exactly the profile of someone who might get radicalised into thinking shooting a president is a good idea. Be v interesting to see the content of the forum, whether there were other users egging him on (anonymous and untraceable natch).
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    edited July 14
    Assassinating a bad ex-president is bad.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject. I'm not sure there is much more to say, really.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Jesus.

That must be the most nakedly xenophobic newspaper front cover I've ever seen.

I imagine they're going to have to close soon.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,609

https://x.com/facethenation/status/1812518504811163888

Top Democratic sources believe that Democrats who had thoughts about challenging President Biden are now standing down "because of this fragile political moment," @CostaReports reports.

Concerns about Biden's debate performance "faded almost instantly" after the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, with Democratic sources say the party should stay cool at a turbulent time.

"Top Democratic sources", really? So the report is bollocks.
    Someone shooting at trump proves that Biden is not senile. Obviously.
    More likely they no longer fancy their chances of beating Trump.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,553
    Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Surely almost by definition the sort of people who do assassinations aren't likely to be examples of the average.

You are a news junkie. I'm sure we'll learn more about this man as time goes on. Unfortunately you'll just have to wait a bit.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,260

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Surely almost by definition the sort of people who do assassinations aren't likely to be examples of the average.

You are a news junkie. I'm sure we'll learn more about this man as time goes on. Unfortunately you'll just have to wait a bit.
    WAIT A BIT? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING??????
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    moonshine said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

"Open-source intelligence analysts reported that Crooks didn’t appear to use mainstream social media channels such as Facebook or Instagram and had an almost negligible internet footprint, which is highly unusual for a 20-year-old. Instead, anaylysts said that Crooks corresponded with friends and associates on a Discord server that they were now trying to access"

Telegraph

A kid who lives on a gamer forum and gets no news or perspective from anywhere else, sounds exactly the profile of someone who might get radicalised into thinking shooting a president is a good idea. Be v interesting to see the content of the forum, whether there were other users egging him on (anonymous and untraceable natch).
    This is a bit bonkers. There's the FBI who have his phone and laptop and there's ROW who do not. ROW have zero insight into his online activity except to the extent it is in his real name. They think everything is like Facebook.
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?
    This may be worst take in your long, sorry, really short PB history

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot
    Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
    Agree. Leon has really lost the plot. I don't know about everyone else but my weekend has involved a few odd jobs at our holiday home, a few trips to the pub, a few meals out, a party this afternoon, oh and yes the shocking news of Trump getting shot which I saw this morning and got mentioned once today on the way to the party. @leon try and get a grip. Your life must be hell. Try getting involved in stuff instead of ranting endless about it. There are plenty of campaigns out there which you could get involved in and use your energy productively rather than ranting and it would be more satisfying.
    Or, I can do what the fuck I like??

Some days I post on here heavily, usually big news days. Other days I don't, coz I am working, living, dating, drinking

Also: WHAT THE FUCK IS IT TO YOU??

Top Democratic sources believe that Democrats who had thoughts about challenging President Biden are now standing down "because of this fragile political moment," @CostaReports reports.

Concerns about Biden's debate performance "faded almost instantly" after the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, with Democratic sources say the party should stay cool at a turbulent time.

If it bleeds we can kill it.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,553
    edited July 14
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

I thought you were an England fan? Nothing else tickle your fancy?

If you were still in Penarth I'd suggest we meet up.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,694

Leon said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

I thought you were an England fan? Nothing else tickle your fancy?

If you were still in Penarth I'd suggest we meet up.
    Politicaldating.com
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    FF43 said:

Assassinating a bad ex-president is bad.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject. I'm not sure there is much more to say, really.

Yep. That's a very tenable line to take. Just one thought though - it's looking like the 2020 rematch will end up happening but my long held hunch that neither would be on the ballot in November was not the worst long shot prediction ever made, was it. One of them nearly dropped by their party, the other one nearly assassinated. WH24 is not your normal betting heat. It wouldn't surprise me if further black swans are limbering up for flight.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    I don't really get worked up about a newspaper getting silly with sport nationalism one way or another. It's not worth doing and it's not worth getting upset about.
    edited July 14
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Just how self-indulgent are House Democrats going to look if they release letters on Monday calling Biden to stand down.
    Hopefully it's the end of the mutual tugfest the bedwetting broadly liberal media and Democrats petrified of being a couple of points behind in polls had.

Do get a grip and drop the Shit Just Got Real nonsense. This was a fundamentally trivial and comic event: they put a rifle in Crooks's hand and sent him to kill the orange man, and he fucked up. It's no more interesting than him narrowly escaping a fatal car crash. I mean what are you saying, the Dems should man up and concede the election to St Don the nearly Martyred?

Are you OK?

This is the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since the Kennedys got shot
    Do you think it might help if you went for a walk, partook in a cheeky beer at the pub, just something other than writing over excited bollocks on here? It has been relentless since 9am.
    Agree. Leon has really lost the plot. I don't know about everyone else but my weekend has involved a few odd jobs at our holiday home, a few trips to the pub, a few meals out, a party this afternoon, oh and yes the shocking news of Trump getting shot which I saw this morning and got mentioned once today on the way to the party. @leon try and get a grip. Your life must be hell. Try getting involved in stuff instead of ranting endless about it. There are plenty of campaigns out there which you could get involved in and use your energy productively rather than ranting and it would be more satisfying.
    As for my life being “hell”, it’s very kind of you to be so concerned and I’m glad you got to do some odd jobs in your holiday home. That’s nice

Right now I’m having a walk around my village and this is my view

If this is hell I’m REALLY looking forward to heaven
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,583
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

As for my life being “hell”, it’s very kind of you to be so concerned and I’m glad you got to do some odd jobs in your holiday home. That’s nice

I woudn't worry yourself too much about that, tbh.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

10am

I am having a chilled-out day on PB, coz I've been working hard on flints all week, but now they're done. Also, this is a genunely dramatic day in politics - one of the most dramatic any of us can recall - and like all PBers I am fascinated by the details and ramifications of political events

You'll be pleased to hear I am returning to work and life tomorrow
    It is not a seminal moment. Had Trump perished and you would be correct.

Some misguided, unfortunate 20 year old loser in a land of freely available automatic weapons unfortunately took someone's life, grazed Trump's ear and died during his foolish misadventure. Other than the Trump's ear bit it's a story that plays out in the USA day in day out.
    That seems very unlikely to me. It feels very consequential.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    SKS is more IDS than Churchill but it’s well meant

https://x.com/10downingstreet/status/1812519633720619469?s=61
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,776
    Interesting thread about the security failure.

Having personally worked several Presidential and Vice Presidential security details, here’s some of my thoughts based on the available info of the assassination attempt on Trump...
    https://x.com/LtTimMcMillan/status/1812383798740324380

Unfortuntely the chances were not looking super great beforehand.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I woudn't worry yourself too much about that, tbh.
    You have no idea of the many many good works I do amongst the poor. Especially younger women
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Moreover Discord IS the social media of choce for many teens these days as it is associated with so many games. Most games run a discord channel where they do not bother with facebook or instagram. The Telegraph article is clearly written by people like me - middle aged men who still think facebook is innovative and cutting edge when in fact it is at least a decade past being cool.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Some days I post on here heavily, usually big news days. Other days I don't, coz I am working, living, dating, drinking

Nothing to do with me. Just trying to be constructive. You regularly lose the plot and do post endlessly. It is difficult to think of any time you have off. You have lots of energy. Why not put it to constructive use? You would be an asset to many campaigns. It seems such a waste to spend your time ranting here.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695

MattW said:

Good morning everyone. I think we need a bit of OT today.

So my question: who is your most 'differently interesting' famous local? For cities I'll give you within one mile, for everyone else within 5 miles.

I'll have two:

- Percy Toplis the Monocled Mutineer, from South Normanton / Blackwell.
    - Harold Lloyd, the cricketer, from Nuncargate, Kirkby-in-Ashfield. It has a very good working class not-at-all-poncy butcher, which I appreciate.

My photo for the day is Larwood bowling to a full "Leg Theory" field.

Three who attended Marlborough Grammar School

Henry Moule - a priest who invented a dry earth toilet. I like the idea of moule being a verb if he'd been as successful as Crapper

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Moule

Phil Harding - Time Team presenter, archaeologist and actual flint knapper

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Harding_(archaeologist)

Frederick Maddison - footballer who played for England in the very first international football match

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Maddison_(footballer)
    Just realised that we in fact had two Marlborough Grammar School boys in the England team for the first official international football match

The other one was Charles Chenery

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Chenery

I think that's quite remarkable, having two of the first official England team from the same school

This is pleasingly topical, and astonishing for me that I've never heard this before despite an over thirty year association with this town

glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Moreover Discord IS the social media of choce for many teens these days as it is associated with so many games. Most games run a discord channel where they do not bother with facebook or instagram. The Telegraph article is clearly written by people like me - middle aged men who still think facebook is innovative and cutting edge when in fact it is at least a decade past being cool.
    Everyone knows that Facebook is old and sad. However most kids are on one of insta or YouTube or TikTok I am sure

However if there is a subset of young males just on discord that is interesting - and news to me. So it’s useful to learn
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    kle4 said:

I don't really get worked up about a newspaper getting silly with sport nationalism one way or another. It's not worth doing and it's not worth getting upset about.

The more surprising thing is it's a rare sighting of the National front page not promising indyref2 Any Day Now.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

Yeah I think the under-30s or so are maybe a bit more wary of posting everything they do on Facebook or Instagram. That doesn't mean they don't use social media at all, but a lot of young people will be aware of the downsides and more careful than the preceding generations.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762
    Leon said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Everyone knows that Facebook is old and sad. However most kids are on one of insta or YouTube or TikTok I am sure

However if there is a subset of young males just on discord that is interesting - and news to me. So it’s useful to learn
    There’s a subset of old males on Discord as well. CAMRA uses it as it’s discussion forum.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,103

Every time England are into a football tournament, I think I ought to support them. Then I watch and listen to the jingoistic media frenzy ……..

However, The National’s headline is unacceptable, and no better than something printed by the Sun or the Star. I haven’t read The National for years, and wouldn’t mourn it’s demise, any more than I would mourn the demise of the Mail, the Express or even the Flint Knappers Gazette.

Tbf the National's headline is a joke surely? That if England wins, the English will never shut up about it? No?
    edited July 14
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Nothing to do with me. Just trying to be constructive. You regularly lose the plot and do post endlessly. It is difficult to think of any time you have off. You have lots of energy. Why not put it to constructive use? You would be an asset to many campaigns. It seems such a waste to spend your time ranting here.
    You have no idea what I do or how I live. What you don’t understand - and I have tried to explain this many times - is that I am not normal. IQ etc

I can multitask my brain to a phenomenal extent (unless I am doing intense creative work which needs focus, but that is finished for now - the new flint was finished yesterday)

So today while I’ve been “sitting on PB endlessly” I have also - redrafted an article for the gazette. Made myself lunch. Had a nice long sunbathe on the roof terrace. Texted with a few friends about whatnot. Had a detailed chat with a friend in America about technology (a shared interest). Had a half hour phone call with a friend in Cornwall about his love life and my old house and the Trump story

I’ve also been for a walk around Oppède le Vieux and arranged some of my impending roadtrip with my daughter. And of course I’ve read about ten articles about the Trump thing and about 500 Twitter threads and also I read a quarter of a book about “Awe” recommended by a mate but it was crap

I did ALL of that while apparently posting endlessly on PB

Because I can multitask. I can post on here while doing other stuff. I can dip in to PB, fire off an absurd rant or a stupid joke, then dip in 20 minutes later

Can you not do this? Perhaps not. I can
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,361

Anyway, totally off-topic:

Our town's just had the first Charles III postbox installed. We're really on the tourist (*) map now!

(*) For members of the Letter Box Study Group...

I'd like to see it. Somewhere in Cambridgeshire IIRC.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Leon said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

It is mainly used by anti social gamers.

Ok so I think we're projecting what we think the typical loon like him would be into. But it wouldn't suprise me one bit if it is indeed the case that he was on discord and not Instagram etc
    Nigelb said:

Having personally worked several Presidential and Vice Presidential security details, here’s some of my thoughts based on the available info of the assassination attempt on Trump...

It fits with speculation here earlier, that communication between different agencies was slow, and that crowd warnings of a sniper on the roof might easily be dismissed by cops who knew the Secret Service had placed its own snipers on roofs, one of whom indeed shot the bad guy.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 570

Leon said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

There’s a subset of old males on Discord as well. CAMRA uses it as it’s discussion forum.
    I downloaded Discord when I became a Rest is History club member to engage in discussion with other Wangs (as we members call ourselves). So yes sad old males use it too.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,583
    Ryegrass is such a pain.
    IanB2 said:

Ryegrass is such a pain.

You can get a dog to help with scale you know.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    IanB2 said:

Ryegrass is such a pain.

Not a much as couch grass.

Leon said:

glw said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

I use it for Midjourney. I don't like the UI
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

What the hell are you??
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,476
    Andy_JS said:

Our town's just had the first Charles III postbox installed. We're really on the tourist (*) map now!

Cambourne, on the High Street, outside a rather nice coffee shop and opposite the Asbo Arms. Plenty of parking at the (very) nearby Morrisons.

If you make it here, let me know and I'll buy you a coffee/ pint.
    Taz said:

Even Rishi would have done it better. The text is trite, and badly delivered. Maybe that should be Starmer's next GOAT appointment – Rishi Sunak as Minister of Sport.
  • FossFoss Posts: 899
    Discord is reasonably big in the retro-computing sphere. Which is a pain, as it's not indexed by the general purpose search engines and doesn't get archived by the Wayback Machine.
    edited July 14

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Jeepers, there's actually a video of the sassytempz

The nasty bit where the killer is slotted has been blurred out, so it's SFW

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c87rvg61vrxo

Still can't believe what a massive security failure this was by supposedly the greatest security operatives in the world.
    They can have a hundred thousand successes, and the only thing that gets noticed is when there is a failure.

That's the nature of the beast.

Remember when Prince Charles was attacked on stage? That happened despite the security around him, and the fact he was an obvious target for Irish terrorists. One failure, and fortunately the perpetrator did not have fatal intent. But how many schemes did the security prevent? We cannot know; they probably cannot be sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kang
    Yes, but on this occasion there was one roof they had to keep under surveillance an clearly failed to do so.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    edited July 14

Every time England are into a football tournament, I think I ought to support them. Then I watch and listen to the jingoistic media frenzy ……..

However, The National’s headline is unacceptable, and no better than something printed by the Sun or the Star. I haven’t read The National for years, and wouldn’t mourn it’s demise, any more than I would mourn the demise of the Mail, the Express or even the Flint Knappers Gazette.

Tbf the National's headline is a joke surely? That if England wins, the English will never shut up about it? No?
    As a patriot generally , I hope England do not win as all that arrogance will come out both in the players and fans (something about football ) - They will all wanting to be treated like Gods and many people and media WILL treat them like Gods - Sir Harry Kane - er no thanks- and they wont "create history" - history is not that trivial
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Two goes at a reply so it obviously struck a cord. There is more to life than looking at a view, nice as that might be. There are friends, family, home, etc AND something common to most people here, campaigns to get involved in whether that be local or national. That is common for people here like @HYUFD, @Casino_Royale, @Andy_Cooke, @MarqueeMark, @NickPalmer etc, etc. they get involved in politics, church, railways, etc, etc. You have the energy so why don't you use it constructively and enjoy it rather than ranting. It does come over as deranged. Someone else said why not take a walk and buy a pint. Good advice, but why not go one step further and fight for what you believe in rather than leave it to others and rant here.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,694

Taz said:

Even Rishi would have done it better. The text is trite, and badly delivered. Maybe that should be Starmer's next GOAT appointment – Rishi Sunak as Minister of Sport.
    Let's not go that far. Sunak would have directed it at the citizens of Dunfermline.
  • Seems the Catholic Church is going to give the Conservative Party a run for its money in destructive infighting while ignoring the real issues.

The current Pope dislikes the pre vatican 2 latin mass, which is growing in popularity, especially amongst the young. It involves silence, beatiful Latin liturgy and sublime music. This is greatly alarming the Pope and his chief henchman Arthur Roche who he has made a Cwrdinal in charge of Liturgy (and was known as Blessed Arthur of the Padlocks when Bishop of Leeds due to his enthusiasm for closing churches).

They see it as a threat to their polyester, banal, 1970s timewarp, guitar wailing liturgies so semi banned it in 2021. It appears that they are going to go the whole hog and have united just about every corner of the British Establishment in outrage. A letter has duly been sent to The Times signed by 45 of the Great and Good (see attached)

These include. Lord Alton, Sir Nicholas Colerage, Sir Rocco Forte, Michael Gove, Lord Lloyd Webber, Princess Michael of Kent, Fraser Nelson, Rory Stewart, interior designer Nina Campbell and fashion designer Paul Smith.

Elsewhere none other than George Galloway has expressed his concern at such plans.

What an almighty own goal.

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

No raw nerve struck. Not rattled. Oh no, not a bit.
  • Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Oh leave him alone, he is very eccentric but his posts are a lot more enjoyable to read than the shoulder chip rubbing turgid tracts put out by the over earnest left on here.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,335
    Nigelb said:

A plausible theory, that the various types of police don’t always communicate effectively in a pressured situation, and there may have been some confusion with regard to whether the assailant was from one of the law enforcement agencies involved in the security operation. I suspect the report will discuss how the various agencies worked together and reacted to the situation as it unfolded. Ultimately it falls on the Secret Service, who are in overall charge of keeping the VIP safe.
    Leon raves about the so-called 'views' he gets from his village.

Well, a short walk from my front door and I reach the ONE AND ONLY, UNIQUE, AND FIRST Charles III Postbox !!!!

I think the excitement would kill him. And if he really wants a dangerous life, he could go and get a pint in the pub opposite...

;)
  • Leon raves about the so-called 'views' he gets from his village.

Well, a short walk from my front door and I reach the ONE AND ONLY, UNIQUE, AND FIRST Charles III Postbox !!!!

I think the excitement would kill him. And if he really wants a dangerous life, he could go and get a pint in the pub opposite...

;)

Photo please and where is it?

Seems the Catholic Church is going to give the Conservative Party a run for its money in destructive infighting while ignoring the real issues.

The current Pope dislikes the pre vatican 2 latin mass, which is growing in popularity, especially amongst the young. It involves silence, beatiful Latin liturgy and sublime music. This is greatly alarming the Pope and his chief henchman Arthur Roche who he has made a Cwrdinal in charge of Liturgy (and was known as Blessed Arthur of the Padlocks when Bishop of Leeds due to his enthusiasm for closing churches).

They see it as a threat to their polyester, banal, 1970s timewarp, guitar wailing liturgies so semi banned it in 2021. It appears that they are going to go the whole hog and have united just about every corner of the British Establishment in outrage. A letter has duly been sent to The Times signed by 45 of the Great and Good (see attached)

These include. Lord Alton, Sir Nicholas Colerage, Sir Rocco Forte, Michael Gove, Lord Lloyd Webber, Princess Michael of Kent, Fraser Nelson, Rory Stewart, interior designer Nina Campbell and fashion designer Paul Smith.

Elsewhere none other than George Galloway has expressed his concern at such plans.

What an almighty own goal.

Become a quaker and then you dont get none of this !
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

FYI "Face the Nation" is a VERY mainstream TV news show and has been since 1954

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_the_Nation

Nor is Robert Costa some kind of quasi-media wonder-weenie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Costa_(journalist)

So you're barking up the wrong tree with your "bollocks" . . .

What the hell are you??
    Someone who by "joking" about attempted assassination and actual murder, is on VERY thin ice methinks.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051

Andy_JS said:

Cambourne, on the High Street, outside a rather nice coffee shop and opposite the Asbo Arms. Plenty of parking at the (very) nearby Morrisons.

Been all over BBC East. Children posting letters to the King etc.

;)

I put a piccie below. It's magnificent; full of NOOM. In fact, it epitomises NOOM. I can see poets coming to visit, to wax lyrical about the shininess of its paint, the glorious sheen of the brass plaque attached to it, and the breathtaking location, opposite a pub, an old people's home and a dentist.

And if their hearts survive the awe-inspiring pilgrimage, there's a trig pillar about a ten minute walk away! Beside a cycle path!!!

I truly live in God's own land.

FYI "Face the Nation" is a VERY mainstream TV news show and has been since 1954

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_the_Nation

Nor is Robert Costa some kind of quasi-media wonder-weenie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Costa_(journalist)

So you're barking up the wrong tree with your "bollocks" . . .
    So this is a source reporting a source reporting anonymous sources?

Andy_JS said:

Been all over BBC East. Children posting letters to the King etc.
    The funny thing is they didn't get kids from the nearby primary school involved, but from one on the other side of the village. There's another primary between them as well.

;)

I put a piccie below. It's magnificent; full of NOOM. In fact, it epitomises NOOM. I can see poets coming to visit, to wax lyrical about the shininess of its paint, the glorious sheen of the brass plaque attached to it, and the breathtaking location, opposite a pub, an old people's home and a dentist.

And if their hearts survive the awe-inspiring pilgrimage, there's a trig pillar about a ten minute walk away! Beside a cycle path!!!

You may be at risk of over-nooming it.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,062
    Eabhal said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Update:

Telegraph

Not really - discord and gaming is where an awful lot of 16-20 spend their time. Even TikTok is for oldies for them
    I use Discord. :#
    How do you use it? I was thinking of running one for my Q&As after the article extended cuts. Do I have to show my face? Can I use an artificial voice? How does it work? Do you just create an account then sit in front of a camera at a specific time?
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

You have no idea what I do or how I live. What you don’t understand - and I have tried to explain this many times - is that I am not normal. IQ etc

I can multitask my brain to a phenomenal extent (unless I am doing intense creative work which needs focus, but that is finished for now - the new flint was finished yesterday)

So today while I’ve been “sitting on PB endlessly” I have also - redrafted an article for the gazette. Made myself lunch. Had a nice long sunbathe on the roof terrace. Texted with a few friends about whatnot. Had a detailed chat with a friend in America about technology (a shared interest). Had a half hour phone call with a friend in Cornwall about his love life and my old house and the Trump story

I’ve also been for a walk around Oppède le Vieux and arranged some of my impending roadtrip with my daughter. And of course I’ve read about ten articles about the Trump thing and about 500 Twitter threads and also I read a quarter of a book about “Awe” recommended by a mate but it was crap

Because I can multitask. I can post on here while doing other stuff. I can dip in to PB, fire off an absurd rant or a stupid joke, then dip in 20 minutes later

Well frankly that sounds like a pretty average day. Funnily enough I make myself lunch everyday; breakfast and dinner as well. I have sent and received umpteen WhatsApps, spoken on the phone to friends, walked the dog, been to a party 30 miles away, posted on PB, fixed a gate and will be going to the pub shortly to watch football. I have also been to the loo a few times. Honestly you make it sound as if that is not normal. But key is instead of ranting about stuff on here in a demented way I get involved in stuff. I campaign on behalf of the LDs, I'm involved in numerous campaigns. Others join charities or the local church or CAB or campaign on behalf of other political parties, etc, etc.

You have the energy, why not use it.
    MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

@MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19

Thanks for that.

It's a brilliant book, because Laura talks about the history, the politics and the GBU of the network. And about a lot of people she met along the way.

She did a presentation at Active Travel Cafe last week, but I missed most of it because reasons, and the video is not up yet. There's talk about a rebrand at some point to include walking, as the journeys are much of both. But there are thousand of signs saying "NCN", so it's either some way off or someone needs a good thesaurus.

I've just got the e-book as my free trial for audible.

I'm quite impressed with Louise Haigh so far, as she seems open to changing her mind. She went from "Cycle in Sheffield - have you seen the hills?" to "E-cycles are great!" after borrowing one.

I need to know what colour her hair is though, she's just gone from ginger to blonde.
    One thing worries me about Louise Haigh's TwiX bio, and it is not her barnet. This line: MP for Sheffield Heeley and Secretary of State for Transport. For casework, please email Louise@LouiseHaigh.org.uk
    https://x.com/LouHaigh

Surely an MP's casework should go to an official, properly secured, parliamentary email address. Now, maybe this does, after redirection, but it looks bad.
    Leon said:

What you don't realise is that those things aren't trees and they weren't there until five minutes before you arrived.

woooo-OOOOOO-ooooo, spooky :)
  • Leon raves about the so-called 'views' he gets from his village.

;)

Alas I can't see the Photo. Tempted to drive over and inspect it but that would mean enduring the curse of the Black Cat.
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 305

Taz said:

Let's not go that far. Sunak would have directed it at the citizens of Dunfermline.
    Tired and forced use of "rule of three".
    FF43 said:

As someone who isn't English I would like Spain to win tonight because they have played the best football across the tournament and deserve to win the tournament. England, frankly, hasn't.

But if England play better than their opponents on the night and take the cup, good luck to them. That's the way these tournaments are supposed to work.

Spain have played the more attractive football but they are vulnerable at the back, and England has a stronger bench if the match is still tied near the end.
    edited July 14
    So PBers are shocked and/or appalled when a reliable news course, reports on a reliable news channel, that he's been in contact with well-placed sources who - for variety of reasons - are speaking off the record?

Standard journalism. Or what used to be standard journalism, before early-21st century DIY "news".
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    BBC coverage is all a bit meh so far.

• kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

Well frankly that sounds like a pretty average day. Funnily enough I make myself lunch everyday; breakfast and dinner as well. I have sent and received umpteen WhatsApps, spoken on the phone to friends, walked the dog, been to a party 30 miles away, posted on PB, fixed a gate and will be going to the pub shortly to watch football. I have also been to the loo a few times. Honestly you make it sound as if that is not normal. But key is instead of ranting about stuff on here in a demented way I get involved in stuff. I campaign on behalf of the LDs, I'm involved in numerous campaigns. Others join charities or the local church or CAB or campaign on behalf of other political parties, etc, etc.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    I sleep all night, I work all day
    I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
    I go to the lavatory
    On Wednesdays I go shopping
    And have buttered scones for tea...

What the hell are you??
    I'm Batman!
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I am not sure campaigning on behalf of political parties is the pinnacle of using your time or intellect to the best effect - Its essentially a zero sum game isn't it? Actually Leon is better writing his novels and entertaining on here imho!
    edited July 14
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

So, THAT is your point? Not that "I spend all day on here" but that I should "go canvassing for the Lib Dems" or whatever. Then why did you say "you spend your time ranting here", if that's not what you actually meant? DERRRR

Anyway, if you look at my life, I have:

1. A primary career knapping flints (that is why I am here in oppede le vieux, I need isolation for that job, so I can focus, I happily took up the offer of a loaned house somewhere beautiful)

2. A SECOND job writing for the Gazette about whatever

3. A THIRD job writing Travel for the Gazette

which means

4. I am constantly travelling, as you may have noticed, which itself demands tons of organising

I also have two kids, that - believe it or not - I do actually see, and chat with, and I'm on holiday with one next week

Also quite a few friends, and friendships are like flowers, they need fairly regular care or they wither; plus i have the odd liaison

That's enough for me. Eeesh. I don't want any more! Add in a lot of reading and a bottle of wine every night, and I really don't have time for some weird political career, much as your advice is kindly meant, I am sure

You'll also be happy to know I just did a 20kg kettlebell workout while listening to an Audiobook about De Gaulle: A Certain Idea of France

It's really good. I recommend it. Amazingly, De Gaulle comes across as quite likeable and very interesting. This passage struck me:

"If De Gaulle ever suffered religious doubts, we have no record of them – although at times he expressed sentiments of almost nihilist pessimism. He often repeated Stalin’s comment to him in 1944: ‘In the end only death wins.’ He also liked to cite an aphorism from Nietzsche: ‘Nothing is worth anything, nothing happens and yet everything occurs, but that is a matter of indifference.’ A diffuse Nietzscheanism was in vogue among French intellectuals during de Gaulle’s youth"
    Euro trivia: currently the Golden Boot is set to be shared by six players.

dont they count assists in the event of a draw?
    edited July 14

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

i was satirising myself. The idea that I rant on and on. So I ranted

As ever: WHOOOOOOOOOSH
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,137
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

So, THAT is your point? Not that "I spend all day on here" but that I should "go canvassing for the Lib Dems" or whatever. Then why did you say "you spend your time ranting here", if that's not what you actually meant? DERRRR

Anyway, if you look at my life, I have:

1. A primary career knapping flints (that is why I am here in oppede le vieux, I need isolation for that job, so I can focus, I happily took up the offer of a loaned house somewhere beautiful)

2. A SECOND job writing for the Gazette about whatever

3. A THIRD job writing Travel for the Gazette

which means

4. I am constantly travelling, as you may have noticed, which itself demands tons of organising

I also have two kids, that - believe it or not - I do actually see, and chat with, and I'm on holiday with one next week

Also quite a few friends, and friendships are like flowers, they need fairly regular care or they wither; plus i have the odd liaison

That's enough for me. Eeesh. I don't want any more! Add in a lot of reading and a bottle of wine every night, and I really don't have time for some weird political career, much as your advice is kindly meant, I am sure

You'll also be happy to know I just did a 20kg kettlebell workout while listening to an Audiobook about De Gaulle: A Certain Idea of France

It's really good. I recommend it. Amazingly, De Gaulle comes across as quite likeable and very interesting. This passage struck me:

"If De Gaulle ever suffered religious doubts, we have no record of them – although at times he expressed sentiments of almost nihilist pessimism. He often repeated Stalin’s comment to him in 1944: ‘In the end only death wins.’ He also liked to cite an aphorism from Nietzsche: ‘Nothing is worth anything, nothing happens and yet everything occurs, but that is a matter of indifference.’ A diffuse Nietzscheanism was in vogue among French intellectuals during de Gaulle’s youth"
    Who is going to win the pbDailyTaskOff battle? Think it is a dead heat and rolls on to tomorrow. Who will do the most? Can we wait? Will it attract a bigger audience than the Euro final?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,879

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

@MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19

Thanks for that.

It's a brilliant book, because Laura talks about the history, the politics and the GBU of the network. And about a lot of people she met along the way.

She did a presentation at Active Travel Cafe last week, but I missed most of it because reasons, and the video is not up yet. There's talk about a rebrand at some point to include walking, as the journeys are much of both. But there are thousand of signs saying "NCN", so it's either some way off or someone needs a good thesaurus.

I'm quite impressed with Louise Haigh so far, as she seems open to changing her mind. She went from "Cycle in Sheffield - have you seen the hills?" to "E-cycles are great!" after borrowing one.

I need to know what colour her hair is though, she's just gone from ginger to blonde.
    One thing worries me about Louise Haigh's TwiX bio, and it is not her barnet. This line: MP for Sheffield Heeley and Secretary of State for Transport. For casework, please email Louise@LouiseHaigh.org.uk

Surely an MP's casework should go to an official, properly secured, parliamentary email address. Now, maybe this does, after redirection, but it looks bad.
    Good point.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260

FF43 said:

Spain have played the more attractive football but they are vulnerable at the back, and England has a stronger bench if the match is still tied near the end.
    We'll win tonight imo. It really really really can 'appen. Spain are good but it's our time this time.
    Euro 2024 betting note. If backing Lamine Yamal or Kobbie Mainoo for Player of the Tournament, remember there is also a Young Player of the Tournament award and they might get fobbed off with that.
    MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Good point.
    Not really. My MP does the same. We have no way of knowing the domains are not hosted on parliament servers.

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Excellent point.

Perhaps this unofficial email is a temporary work-around until an official channel is created for the casework in the very near future? Hopefully it's something like that.

;)

Alas I can't see the Photo. Tempted to drive over and inspect it but that would mean enduring the curse of the Black Cat.
    How is the Black Cat at the moment? I don't have much reason to drive west of St Neots atm, so haven't seen how the new road works are getting on (I live near the other end of the works. In fact, I'm still waiting for them to open the new cycle path that was supposed to open last Monday...)

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Why does it look bad? It makes her appear more like a normal person.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,036
    A Conhome Tory members survey finds Badenoch is the early favourite to be next Tory leader with 26% support.

Then comes Jenrick and Tugendhat tied on 13% each, followed by Braverman on 10% and Cleverly on 9%. Patel gets 3%, Atkins 2% and McVey 1%

https://conservativehome.com/2024/07/14/our-survey-a-quarter-of-members-back-badenoch-for-leader-but-the-race-is-wide-open/
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,505
    edited July 14

Even if England loses there’ll be not much shutting up about it. Couple more years and we’ll be onto the third 30 years of hurt.

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you OK?

I am not sure campaigning on behalf of political parties is the pinnacle of using your time or intellect to the best effect - Its essentially a zero sum game isn't it? Actually Leon is better writing his novels and entertaining on here imho!
    Well, exactly

Each to their own. I would find "joining a campaign" arse-achingly dull but some people like that kind of task. Good for them. The world needs all sorts
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533

MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Good point.
    Not really. My MP does the same. We have no way of knowing the domains are not hosted on parliament servers.
    I think most do the same. My MP is daniel@danielzeichner.co.uk

To be honest, it is sensible. They don't want their entire communications history to become inaccessible at 3am on the night of a disappointing election.

dont they count assists in the event of a draw?
    No, they used to, but they've gone back to the original system of just counting goals, according to Gary Lineker (winner, Golden Boot, World Cup 1986)
    The crowd member shot and killed yesterday has also been identified. RIP Corey Comperatore, who was there at the rally with his wife and daughter. His daughter posted a very poignant comment.

https://x.com/taylerusa/status/1812507778335887390

MattW said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Good point.
    On the contrary, you can be absolutely sure the domains are not hosted on Parliament servers.
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

What you don't realise is that those things aren't trees and they weren't there until five minutes before you arrived.

woooo-OOOOOO-ooooo, spooky :)
    Cypress trees really are spooky. If plants can have noom, then cypress trees possess it

Van Gogh painted them perfectly. Like green spires of fire, especially when the Mistral tousles them
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Thanks for that.

Why does it look bad? It makes her appear more like a normal person.
    Elected and other public officials using non-official emails for official business, is inherently dubious.

At least in USA, has been used to circumvent and outright violate public-disclosure laws.

Which does NOT appear to be the case with the newly Rt. Hon. Louise Haigh MP, but just sayin'.
This discussion has been closed.