Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

As we await the first result – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    rcs1000 said:

What a lovely comment from the new Labour MP for Swindon about her predecessor.

Gracious speeches from both.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,664
    Scott_xP said:

@dinosofos

Word from Labour is that they have lost Sheffield Hallam (Nick Clegg’s former seat) to the Lib Dems.

I called that earlier on this week based on my chat with the LD canvassers.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,493
    I predicted Lab would get 21,750 votes in Swindon South. They got 21,676.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,278
    Chameleon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Nunu5 said:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

This must be the most negative media coverage of a landslide election win ever.

Another reason there should be a ban on polls during an election campaign.

It's a landslide by mathematics.

Outside Scotland these are unimpressive results for Labour. Barely inched forwards.
    Yes, it's been a fucking awful night for Labour. Dismal.
    Yeah.
    Fucking suicidal about a 170 majority.
    Only ten years in government.
    Gutted.
    They are on 36% they won't get ten years.
    Are they?
    Also. Who's gonna beat us?
    We cannot be killed - 'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
    That was then. This is now.
    I ask again. Which political party is a position to overturn a 170 majority in five years?
    Asking the wrong question. Who has a voter coalition so clearly fragile they could lose a majority of 170 in five years?

Labour have wolves at the door everywhere - green for the anti-semites and trots, RFM for the working class, and Con/LD for the middleclasses+. Providing they deliver they could be fine, but it doesn't feel that different to 2019.
    Yeah but that applies now.
    You've gotta choose one.
    Which one?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

This should frighten Labour, Reform are projected to finish second in 155 seats compared to 125 seats for UKIP in 2015.

https://x.com/TSEofPB/status/1809003232095842635

It should frighten the Tories more, going by tonight's results so far.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,507
    Scott_xP said:

@dinosofos

Word from Labour is that they have lost Sheffield Hallam (Nick Clegg’s former seat) to the Lib Dems.

I am shocked they managed to win it in 2019 after Jared O'Mara scandal.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,430
    @BethRigby

NEW: Steve Baker tells me that he expects to lose his seat of Wycombe overnight and will be swept away in the Labour tsunami
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,276
    edited July 4
    Even in Swindon South the swing from Tory to Reform is bigger than the swing to Labour, 19% to 16%
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    Steve Baker is good value on Sky tbh
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

Whatever it looks like the next election will feature 16/17 year olds.

I highly doubt its photo id. Much more like it will be the voters of the "none of the above" party.
    If Labour try to gerrymander staying in power by allowing kids to vote, it will be deeply immoral.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,099
    Constituency by constituency comparison table of various MRPs and models with the exit poll (and real results as available), for those interested in where the predictions differed from each other and from reality: https://jonskeet.uk/election2024/interactive?colour
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,144
    Scott_xP said:

@dinosofos

As per exit poll
    https://news.sky.com/story/exit-poll-what-is-the-forecast-election-result-in-my-constituency-13163180
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,285
    WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

148grss said:

If Labour is seen to get a huge majority on fewer votes/ lower vote share than Corbyn in 2019 I do think there will be pressure to move leftward in government. Sure, the big story will be Reform overperforming - but the way to beat Reform will be to do left wing politics and not to lean into immigrant bashing.

Or listen to sensible concerns on immigration. A Conservative party that did this would be 10 points or more higher in the polls right now. A Labour party that ignores it, ignores it at all our peril.
    Immigration will bring down Labour in either 5 or 10 years time. They can't help themselves bring in as many of their core voting demographics as possible.
    Starmer is a lucky General, though, because even if Labour does nothing, then net immigration will come right down because of (a) the raised income threshold, and (b) students coming to the end of their visas and returning home.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,537
    Where is this Melton Mowbury the BBC have captioned?
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    dixiedean said:

Chameleon said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Nunu5 said:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

This must be the most negative media coverage of a landslide election win ever.

Another reason there should be a ban on polls during an election campaign.

It's a landslide by mathematics.

Outside Scotland these are unimpressive results for Labour. Barely inched forwards.
    Yes, it's been a fucking awful night for Labour. Dismal.
    Yeah.
    Fucking suicidal about a 170 majority.
    Only ten years in government.
    Gutted.
    They are on 36% they won't get ten years.
    Are they?
    Also. Who's gonna beat us?
    We cannot be killed - 'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
    That was then. This is now.
    I ask again. Which political party is a position to overturn a 170 majority in five years?
    Asking the wrong question. Who has a voter coalition so clearly fragile they could lose a majority of 170 in five years?

Labour have wolves at the door everywhere - green for the anti-semites and trots, RFM for the working class, and Con/LD for the middleclasses+. Providing they deliver they could be fine, but it doesn't feel that different to 2019.
    Yeah but that applies now.
    You've gotta choose one.
    Which one?
    What do you mean? All three could go wrong at once - Hamas rumbles on, Labour can't get the economy growing so raid taxes and keep immigration high - all of a sudden all of their marginal majorities are in trouble.
  • WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

I highly doubt its photo id. Much more like it will be the voters of the "none of the above" party.
    If Labour try to gerrymander staying in power by allowing kids to vote, it will be deeply immoral.
    Just like the photo ID, oh wait.
    WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

They put it in their manifesto, it is the will of the people.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Scottish tories pouring cold water on 12 seats. Expectation management?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,644
    WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

At least they’re here and do or will pay their way here, unlike the hundreds of thousands of expats who haven’t set foot - in terms of residence or tax paying - in the country for years that the Tories have sent votes to!
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,314
    Listening to these speeches, I am so glad we live in the UK and not the US.

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

kyf_100 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Already comments from Leadsom and JRM about retreating to the right.

They won’t win from there.

Unfortunately I'm not sure about that. I suspect the takeaway from tonight will be Reform doing well in votes if not in seats, and tacking to the right will be the default choice of the Conservatives.

"We lost half our vote to the anti immigration fashy party, let's move towards the centre" doesn't sound like what's going to happen, sadly.
    They tack rightwards to appease Reform defectors, they lose more votes from centrists. They're in a right pickle.
    On the exit poll Tories and Reform are on over 40%, Labour on 36%.

Now yes they may lose a few to the LDs and Labour but at the moment the main votes to be gained for the Tories are from Reform on the right
    Turn to Reform and the Tories can aspire to win 13 seats themselves.

You win elections by being a big tent, not reaching for extremes.
    On what grounds is over 40% for Tories and Reform extreme?
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,639
    WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

Erm, Photo ID, rewriting the mayoral election rules...

Nice thing about the next five years is seeing the shoe on the other foot, even if it's still a shady shoe.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Pulpstar said:

Steve Baker is good value on Sky tbh

He is!
    WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

As opposed to the Conservatives trying to stay in power by imposing rules on photo ID while doing nothing about postal voting?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    NEW: Labour source says they are confident of coming first in Joanna Cherry’s Edinburgh South West seat.

https://x.com/paulhutcheon/status/1809003315398574115

Exit poll is 96% /4% Lab/SNP
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 3,001
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

NEW: Steve Baker tells me that he expects to lose his seat of Wycombe overnight and will be swept away in the Labour tsunami

I think he may squeak it.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,088
    Cookie said:

Decent speeches from winner and loser in Swindon South. Isn't democracy great?

Indeed... we await the less gracious ones.

I think both Hall and Khan were utterly shameful in their speeches following the London result. Street and Parker in the West Midlands - despite it actually being FAR closer - were extremely gracious and it was good to see.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,144
    Andy_JS said:

You predicted 1500 for Green. They got 2,539 :)
    Scott_xP said:

@dinosofos

That will be as a result of Tory tactical voting. They had 15,000 votes and therefore the option to sink Labour whose majority was only 1,108.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,259
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@dinosofos

As per exit poll
    https://news.sky.com/story/exit-poll-what-is-the-forecast-election-result-in-my-constituency-13163180
    Labour probably not too disappointed given Blake is a Corbynite.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,639
    Been away, how's the exit poll doing relative to the declarations so far?
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited July 4
    WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

If Labour go through with votes at 16 they (a) aren't taking note of RFM in their heartlands, and (b) haven't talked to any teachers that have ran a mock election in school. There's a reason why RFM have bought lots of advertising on streamja and other youth-dominated goal clip sites.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,748
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Given he was told this by the BBC after the exit poll 😂😂😂😂
  • I do not think Reform will win close to 13 seats. But they will come second in a lot.

I think Labour will beat Blair's 1997 majority.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,507
    edited July 4
    SHUT THE F##K UP PESTON....Even Tom Bradby is pissed off with his droning on.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,944
    Jeez why the hell can’t the BBC at least give us the declarations when there’s not a lot of seats declaring . It’s not like we’re overwhelmed with excitement.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,700
    EPG said:

WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

Erm, Photo ID, rewriting the mayoral election rules...

Nice thing about the next five years is seeing the shoe on the other foot, even if it's still a shady shoe.
    Wouldn’t it be lovely if at some stage, one party actually took the moral high ground?

A fairytale I know.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,405

I do not think Reform will win close to 13 seats. But they will come second in a lot.

I think Labour will beat Blair's 1997 majority.

Starmer has flipped more seats than Blair
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,259

NEW: Labour source says they are confident of coming first in Joanna Cherry’s Edinburgh South West seat.

SNP utterly, utterly f***ed if they are losing seats like that.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,748
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Like stock market tipsters and gambling tipsters they always tell you of their successes.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

I thought that the young were all Reform supporters according to people on here.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,572
    Taz said:

Generous concession by Robert Buckland. One of the decent Tories.

Absolute battering for the Tories.

The south is going to be a bloodbath for them.

Generous acceptance and testimonial to Buckland by Heidi Alexander too.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,725
    edited July 4

WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

Just like France. Francois Hollande was turned away because he didn't have his ID.

https://x.com/Anton1Ferreira/status/1807427443583492422
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,219
    I’m really struggling to decide which channel to stick with. None of them blowing it out of the water. For now I’d say ITV.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,639
    Chameleon said:

WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

If Labour go through with votes at 16 they (a) aren't taking note of RFM in their heartlands, and (b) haven't talked to any teachers that have ran a mock election in school. There's a reason why RFM have bought lots of advertising on streamja and other youth-dominated goal clip sites.
    All else equal, more Labour and Reform votes are good for Labour. When Reform get up to 33% and start meeting people like generals and the OBR, we can reconsider that.
  • WillG said:

Jonathan said:

Turnout down. Photo ID ?

Just like France. Francois Hollande was turned away because he didn't have his ID.

https://x.com/Anton1Ferreira/status/1807427443583492422
    Doesn't make it right. It's stupid. Get rid.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    Farage has just done to the Tories what Paisley did to the UUP in 1979.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,016
    edited July 4
    RobD said:

Been away, how's the exit poll doing relative to the declarations so far?

One data point, so a bit ridiculous, but the Swindon South result would indicate closer to the Survation MRP than the Exit Poll for Conservative seats
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,787
    mwadams said:

Where is this Melton Mowbury the BBC have captioned?

BBC telling porkie pies.
  • Survation has been bang on so far. But they had Tories on 60 seats, so presumably will go wrong soon.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,873
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

The Green vote could be squeezed by Lab in the future if they do well on Green issues and things get tighter.
  • AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,854

SNP utterly, utterly f***ed if they are losing seats like that.
    They've blown it, it was obvious - Bute House Agreement plus Sturgeon has killed them.

Best of luck to them.

Farage has just done to the Tories what Paisley did to the UUP in 1979.

The UUP were still the largest Unionist party in 1979 as the Tories are now
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,540
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

kyf_100 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure about that. I suspect the takeaway from tonight will be Reform doing well in votes if not in seats, and tacking to the right will be the default choice of the Conservatives.

"We lost half our vote to the anti immigration fashy party, let's move towards the centre" doesn't sound like what's going to happen, sadly.
    They tack rightwards to appease Reform defectors, they lose more votes from centrists. They're in a right pickle.

Now yes they may lose a few to the LDs and Labour but at the moment the main votes to be gained for the Tories are from Reform on the right

The Tories got what they got because they are not Reform.

Abandon your current voters to chase after the Reform phantom, and you'll lose your current voters.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Con slightly overperform and Lab underperform in Swindon versus YG and MiC mrps, but very close

NEW THREAD

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,430
    ITV data analyst saying the most important factor in the vote is Brexit...

She obviously doesn't read PB
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,088
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

kyf_100 said:

Ghedebrav said:

You just cannot reconcile "smash the system" RefUKers with moderate, conservative Conservatives. You think you've hit your floor with the moderates but you're wrong - there are plenty who will have just about swallowed it today but won't again.

Suspect you'll learn this the hard way - good news for the Lib Dems.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,963

Scottish Greens will be turning cartwheels.

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.