Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could the Conservatives Really Come Third? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    Meanwhile England currently losing to Israel in the football, so no Euros bounce likely for Rishi
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

Daisy Cooper could be the big winner from this debate.

Her last speech was lame though, made worse by Farage immediately saying “unlike the others I don’t need an autocue”.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Anyway, my main take home is that the BBC are sticking with the Rick Wakeman piece from his King Arthur concept album for their election coverage music, which is a-OK with me. (Saw Yes live on Tuesday (a line-up without Wakeman or Wakeman jnr.).)
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    HYUFD said:

Meanwhile England currently losing to Israel in the football, so no Euros bounce likely for Rishi

Israel? Surely Iceland
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Penny Mordaunt is hectoring and constantly interrupting. Really hope she loses her seat. Ghastly woman.

Less of the misogyny please, referring to her sex as a derogatory point is beneath you. You could have said “ghastly person” but ghastly woman is so loaded with some retro sexist memories of “to the manor born” and all that.
    I like how all the OnlyFans references were ok but "ghastly woman" was somehow noteworthy
    I was being ever so serious. Heathener is suitably strong, apparently accomplished and confident to give it out and take it back - it would probs be more sexist to think anyone had to rein it in because she’s a she.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Handshakes and giggles between Rayner and Mordaunt at the end. Performative arguing for the sake of it.

Or, alternatively, despite being political opponents they can be human beings who have known each other for years once they stop talking politics and be civil?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @benrileysmith

**EXCLUSIVE**

The Tories will promise to **permanently** abolish stamp duty for first time buyers on properties worth up to £425,000.

Policy will be unveiled in their manifesto next week. Around 200,000 households to benefit every year. Our story below:

https://x.com/benrileysmith/status/1799169977691545856
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

Farage’s stat on the number of people paying the 40p rate is remarkable if true.

I'm now in the 40p rate and I'm completely fine with it, I earn a decent wedge and happy to pay my fair share. I believe the old line "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a good one to follow.
    Don’t forget that your employer is paying 13.8% NI on top of your salary for the privilege of employing you. Real income tax rates on employment are punishingly high in this country, especially for those making student loan payments (effectively a graduate tax), for whom the marginal rate (assuming a higher rate tax payer & including employers NI) is approx 63%. Even more if you’re paying off a post-grad loan as well.

We have become a high tax country with shitty public services.
    and once again Farage picks out something he know will get votes - he is some performer
    The student loan thing is particularly galling since (as I understand things, I’m sure there was a recent article about this in the Economist or somewhere similar?) it would have been /cheaper/ just to pay out student grants. But no, we had to create a complicated loan scheme with all the hideously expensive bureaucracy to go with it instead.

The student loan debacle is also one of the drivers behind the imminent collapse of the UK university sector because, despite a decade of inflation since the fee cap was put in place, the government has refused to increase it at all. So university fees are now the equivalent of £6500 in 2012. Unsurprisingly, things are starting to fall apart at the seams.
    I vaguely remember claims back in 2011 that universities would compete to offer the best value and that £6000 would likely become the standard level of student fees with only the top places charging the top fees.

Instead they all decided to charge maximum fees with immediate effect.
    & now they’re all charging £6.5k in real terms and universities are completely reliant on income from foreign students to keep the lights on. This is not a recipe for stability & economic growth.
    Until the effects of AI are understood there will not be any stability or future growth in the university sector.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    HYUFD said:

Iceland!
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    HYUFD said:

Israel? Iceland. Not even Corbyn could blame Israel for this humiliation.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

Farage’s stat on the number of people paying the 40p rate is remarkable if true.

I'm now in the 40p rate and I'm completely fine with it, I earn a decent wedge and happy to pay my fair share. I believe the old line "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is a good one to follow.
    Don’t forget that your employer is paying 13.8% NI on top of your salary for the privilege of employing you. Real income tax rates on employment are punishingly high in this country, especially for those making student loan payments (effectively a graduate tax), for whom the marginal rate (assuming a higher rate tax payer & including employers NI) is approx 63%. Even more if you’re paying off a post-grad loan as well.

and once again Farage picks out something he know will get votes - he is some performer
    The student loan thing is particularly galling since (as I understand things, I’m sure there was a recent article about this in the Economist or somewhere similar?) it would have been /cheaper/ just to pay out student grants. But no, we had to create a complicated loan scheme with all the hideously expensive bureaucracy to go with it instead.

The student loan debacle is also one of the drivers behind the imminent collapse of the UK university sector because, despite a decade of inflation since the fee cap was put in place, the government has refused to increase it at all. So university fees are now the equivalent of £6500 in 2012. Unsurprisingly, things are starting to fall apart at the seams.
    I vaguely remember claims back in 2011 that universities would compete to offer the best value and that £6000 would likely become the standard level of student fees with only the top places charging the top fees.

& now they’re all charging £6.5k in real terms and universities are completely reliant on income from foreign students to keep the lights on. This is not a recipe for stability & economic growth.
    £6.5k in real terms being double what they were charging in 2010, so what's the problem?
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

**EXCLUSIVE**

The Tories will promise to **permanently** abolish stamp duty for first time buyers on properties worth up to £425,000.

Policy will be unveiled in their manifesto next week. Around 200,000 households to benefit every year. Our story below:

Feels like when the con man breaks out one last amazing promise, and it is just a bit too much to believe.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

Since when does the employers NI reduce your disposable income?
    Since always. Its a direct tax on wages, which means firms pay lower wages as a result as they budget the tax as part of their costs.

Tax on wages are far too high in this country.
    Tax on unearned incomes are far too low.

Working for a living should never be taxed any higher than making a living through means other than working.
    I appreciate your naïve assumption that employers wouldn't just trouser any tax savings. Employers pay people as little as they can get away with.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604
    TimS said:

Her last speech was lame though, made worse by Farage immediately saying “unlike the others I don’t need an autocue”.
    I thought it was smart to refer to the sewage issue. It could sway a lot of voters.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    Heathener said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Penny Mordaunt is hectoring and constantly interrupting. Really hope she loses her seat. Ghastly woman.

Less of the misogyny please, referring to her sex as a derogatory point is beneath you. You could have said “ghastly person” but ghastly woman is so loaded with some retro sexist memories of “to the manor born” and all that.
    I like how all the OnlyFans references were ok but "ghastly woman" was somehow noteworthy
    Standard on here. Every day there are sexist remarks and highly sexual ones - all the bukkake stuff this morning being just one of zillions. And I go and refer to a member of my own sex as ghastly and a man steps in on me. Tsk.
    Quite right.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Penny apparently trying to pivot a Net Zero question into Labour tax rises. "My constituents cannot afford that" says the minister whose government has put taxes up to crazy levels and instigated a cost of living crisis which forces people in full time work to rely on foodbanks

If we don't return Penny in Portsmouth North who will open the food pantries?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

Since always. Its a direct tax on wages, which means firms pay lower wages as a result as they budget the tax as part of their costs.

Working for a living should never be taxed any higher than making a living through means other than working.
    I appreciate your naïve assumption that employers wouldn't just trouser any tax savings. Employers pay people as little as they can get away with.
    Of course they do which is why employers prefer having 100 people applying for the job than 2 people. Hence why employers love immigration
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    How the dickens can England be losing to Iceland at football?
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

Mordaunt got least applause for her closing statement, followed by Plaid and RefUK

She ballsed it up by pausing for a bit too long before she'd actually finished her statement - some people clapped early, others didn't clap at all. Hers was easily the worst of all the final statements.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016
    Just switched on the football

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

TimS said:

I thought it was smart to refer to the sewage issue. It could sway a lot of voters.
    Ed Davey has made a lot of running on this issue- hence the stunt in Lake Windermere, It is most definitely cutting through.
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

You know this isn't the Euros, right?

I know you're gutted that your beloved Wales aren't in it, but pay attention!
    To be fair Israel play in UEFA and are in Eurovision so they are part of the whole warlike history that makes us Europeans so “one”.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648

I see we are losing in the football

I blame Rishi 😈

No, we're winning!
    AlsoLei said:

Mordaunt got least applause for her closing statement, followed by Plaid and RefUK

She ballsed it up by pausing for a bit too long before she'd actually finished her statement - some people clapped early, others didn't clap at all. Hers was easily the worst of all the final statements.
    Are you trying to tell us poor penny got the clap?
    Andy_JS said:

We’ve had practice. Just sad we can’t hear the awesome Icelandic clapping.
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

No RefUK candidate in Gavin Williamson's new seat of Stone, Great Wyrley & Penkridge.

https://www.sstaffs.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2024-06/SOPN__NOP_Stone, Great Wyrley and Penkridge.pdf

Makes this seat a possibility for the highest Tory share in the country, given that Reform probably would have done quite well if they'd stood.

More shocking is UKIP are standing.

They had 44 candidates last time.
    It would be genuinely funny if UKIP somehow crib all the reform vote in that seat.
    They won't because UKIP isn't getting any publicity at this election.
    DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

And I appreciate your naïve assumption that taxes don't affect prices.

We have full employment in this country, if employers don't pay people enough then they don't get any employees and those who pay more get the employees instead.

Firms have to account for NI when they determine what they can afford to pay. Any firm that fails to account for taxes will go bust instead.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202
    edited June 7
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

**EXCLUSIVE**

So they’ve promised that current rates will remain unchanged & are spinning this as a great Tory tax giveaway?
    Andy_JS said:

Roy Hodgson says hello.
    edited June 7
    Andy_JS said:

It says on scoreboard ISL which spelt correctly should be Israel, there is no S in Iceland
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503

If an English politician stood on that stage and said, "Put England's interests first," people would be outraged.

That's because they're all to varying degrees and with varying sincerity Unionists. Still, Sir Keir has been known to go full English natio..err..patriot.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/20/labour-is-now-the-true-party-of-english-patriotism/

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

Gibraltar 0 Wales 0
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

No RefUK candidate in Gavin Williamson's new seat of Stone, Great Wyrley & Penkridge.

https://www.sstaffs.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2024-06/SOPN__NOP_Stone, Great Wyrley and Penkridge.pdf

Makes this seat a possibility for the highest Tory share in the country, given that Reform probably would have done quite well if they'd stood.

It would be genuinely funny if UKIP somehow crib all the reform vote in that seat.
    And are fucking fruitloops
    DM_Andy said:

That was quite fun, would be surprised if it changed anyone's mind but still probably better than the football.

Yeah, I thought it was fine. It largely worked. The contestants got to make their points.
    Andy_JS said:

You just know Richi is watching it in Downing Street
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

Only a team set up by Southgate could struggle to score against such opposition. Its almost criminal how much talent he is going to waste this summer.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    edited June 7
    BREAKING: Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron exchanged messages and held a video call with someone purporting to be former Ukrainian president, Petro Poroshenko, but the interactions were later determined to be a hoax.

https://x.com/skynews/status/1799160854765552107?s=61
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Nor is it Israel playing - HY has Sunak levels of football knowledge.
    DavidL said:

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

Only a team set up by Southgate could struggle to score against such opposition. Its almost criminal how much talent he is going to waste this summer.

Time to bring on Grealish...
  • OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,589

Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

£6.5k in real terms being double what they were charging in 2010, so what's the problem?
    The block grant from the government being axed down over the last 14 years is the problem. There's a serious funding crunch in the tertiary education sector. It worked out fairly well until recently because international students subsidised UK places (a good way to leverage our international academic rep IMO). However, government moves to try to restrict the number of international students is presenting a big issue for those institutions. Mid-tier institutions are already struggling with the cut to the block grant and now the big boys are having trouble too. It's very silly given how much economic growth places like Imperial put out.
    ToryJim said:

BREAKING: Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron exchanged messages and held a video call with someone purporting to be former Ukrainian president, Petro Poroshenko, but the interactions were later determined to be a hoax.

You are surprised when clueless politician gets taken in by internet hoax?
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

It says on scoreboard ISL which spelt correctly should be Israel, there is no S in Iceland
    There is an S in Ísland though.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,270

Reform are

I find the D-day stuff a bit overblown to be honest.

I'm astonished too. I don't know a single person who was glued to the D-Day coverage beforehand and yet it's got huge traction.

I can only conclude that the electorate want to see Sunak slip on banana skins, and are rather enjoying it.

There will be more of them. He doesn't have the political savviness or dexterity to avoid them.
    The number of voters, let alone journos, politicos & pundits genuinely outraged by Sunak's D-Day evacuation, is FAR exceeded by those who are baffled by such an absurd level of political ineptitude.

Especially since the outraged are obviously concentrated in the very group that he & Tories have been targeting so relentlessly.

Which is underscoring the general lack of competence the PM, his government and his party have been projecting in the weeks, months, years leading up to the Summer of '24.
    DavidL said:

Andy Robertson has just been superb. His crosses giving rise to both goals. Shankland wants to play against Germany. He wanted a goal so badly.

Which party does Robertson lead?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Absolute disaster for Mordaunt. She's finished.

Note: Actually watched Coronation Street not that debate nonsense. Our Toyah got arrested for murdering her bairn.
    DavidL said:

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

Is he resting the big hitters? I'm not watching it.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

TimS said:

Yes, fair point. She just delivered it in too scripted a way. I’ve seen her live several times and she really didn’t need the autocue.
    ToryJim said:

Oh dear. How much later is an embarrassing question.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

I was being ever so serious. Heathener is suitably strong, apparently accomplished and confident to give it out and take it back - it would probs be more sexist to think anyone had to rein it in because she’s a she.
    Yeah I don’t have a problem with you calling it out. But what is to the manor born?
    Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe they are though. How many people think Farage still leads them?
    DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

So why isn't everyone on minimum wage ?

Because the demand for workers forces employers to pay more.

Ultimately the demand for workers pushes up wage rates to the point where it no longer becomes profitable to employ them.

Employers NI merely reduces the amount that the employee gets not what the employer is willing to pay.
    Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I suspect most people think UKIP and Refuk are the same party. We might see some unexpectedly-high scores for UKIP as a result of any Faragasm...
  • booksellerbookseller Posts: 504

DavidL said:

Andy Robertson has just been superb. His crosses giving rise to both goals. Shankland wants to play against Germany. He wanted a goal so badly.

Which party does Robertson lead?
    "Reform Slot"
    I'm expecting Sunak to randomly apologise for England losing in the morning
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

UKIP are standing in Harlow as well as Reform
    Pagan2 said:

AlsoLei said:

Are you trying to tell us poor penny got the clap?
    "...please clap"
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Erm no. Iceland. In their own language it is spelt Island.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,960
    Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I wouldn't be surprised if people voted UKIP thinking they were choosing Farage.

Easy mistake to make.

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes well this is English TV not Icelandic TV
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Andy_JS said:

Are you new to watching England? Recall 2016…
    Besides it’s a warm up friendly. Players main concern is not getting injured.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    DavidL said:

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

I think this could be Southgate's swansong. His squad selection is very strange.

Replacing the waistcoat with a cardigan is proof positive that he has lost his touch.
    DM_Andy said:

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

Gibraltar 0 Wales 0
    We expect it !!!
    Dura_Ace said:

Absolute disaster for Mordaunt. She's finished.

Note: Actually watched Coronation Street not that debate nonsense. Our Toyah got arrested for murdering her bairn.

I was chatting to a colleague in Canada when I was over there last week and he was saying to me that the only British show he got on CBC when he was a kid was Corrie. He said when he heard the theme music and saw the gable roof skyline it was time to stop watching TV for the evening.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

Is Sunak at the footy?

Well, for the first half, anyway.

Chapeau.
    ToryJim said:

This is exactly why I advised Rishi to leave Normandy - no guarantee that the supposed leaders he was talking to were really who they said they were. They had a senile grandpa pretending to be Biden, a “single dad at B&Q” (hat tip Dura Ace) playing Zelensky, Prince William pretending to be King Charles and Justin Trudeau in White-face.
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I saw someone else had picked this up before me so left it alone.
    If one went to a public school like Rishi and I football is rugby football and the game on now is soccer

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

Ultimately the demand for workers pushes up wage rates to the point where it no longer becomes profitable to employ them.

Employers NI merely reduces the amount that the employee gets not what the employer is willing to pay.
    Since minimum wage came in the number of people paid min wage has increased. The reason not all are are on min wage is as skills get rarer they have to compete. Most people can scrub a toilet....not everyone can write a micro service in c# or perform neurosurgery to remove a brain tumour
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202

Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

The fees charged in 2010 were topped up by government grants to the higher education sector. These were removed when the £9k fee system was introduced. The £9k limit was roughly equal to the sum of the £3k fee & the grant paid per student at the time I believe.

(Anyone have any actual figures? I haven’t found any with a brief search, but I’m sure they exist somewhere...)
    Farage and the Green seen getting off with each other by the bins out back
    #debatescandals
    edited June 7
    DavidL said:

England 0 Iceland 1

That is so funny

We do not want him at Old Trafford

Andy_JS said:

Are you new to watching England? Recall 2016…
    Besides it’s a warm up friendly. Players main concern is not getting injured.
    I see Germany are failing to beat Greece. 1-1 atm.
    ToryJim said:

Possibly the same Poroshenko-impressionist who got Hollande last year?

https://www.euronews.com/2023/04/11/russian-pranksters-posing-as-ukraines-ex-leader-call-former-french-president-francois-holl
    I saw on the wiki page for the election a few predictions with the Tories getting around 190 seats. If they were offered that now I think they'd leap at the chance!

The ranges are pretty amaxing - Tories 75-194, Labour 390-475, LDs 22-61, SNP 11-24, PC 1-4 (which feels very broad given the number of seats in Wales), Greens 1-2, Reform 0-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_United_Kingdom_general_election

Which are the two seats Greens are thought to be close in? One in Bristol and still Brighton?
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

UKIP are standing in Harlow as well as Reform
    If they get treble figures I'd be surprised
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes well this is English TV not Icelandic TV
    And English TV follows standard international codes for naming countries.

ISL is the three letter code for ISLand funnily enough.

Also funnily enough ISR is the three letter code for ISRael.

Why would Israel be ISL instead of ISR?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,270

biggles said:

So it has come to this, we are seriously contemplating how the LibDems will manage as the Official Opposition.

We live in interesting times!

With the mighty Ed Davey? Easily. One bonkers photo op a week and they’ll be running the country by Christmas.
    Remember that I have baggsied the Ministry of Silly Walks
    IF there's a Coalition, perhaps Minister of State for Shuffling, Sliding & Tripping in MoSW?

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

If someone is willing to work for £x, has there been a situation where the manager has said "You're doing great, we'll pay you more money for exactly the same job" Employers look at retention rates and what the competition is offering to decide what to pay their employees.
    AlsoLei said:

Andy_JS said:

OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I suspect most people think UKIP and Refuk are the same party. We might see some unexpectedly-high scores for UKIP as a result of any Faragasm...
    Possibly in the few seats where UKIP stands and Reform doesn't. (I would guess not).

Penny apparently trying to pivot a Net Zero question into Labour tax rises. "My constituents cannot afford that" says the minister whose government has put taxes up to crazy levels and instigated a cost of living crisis which forces people in full time work to rely on foodbanks

If we don't return Penny in Portsmouth North who will open the food pantries?
    Food pantries? You mean food banks with gingham tops?

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Iceland, being ghastly foreigners, spell the name of their country Ísland.
    Israel is ISR

Is Sunak at the footy?

The timings yesterday were all wrong.

Sunak should have been there throughout
    Macron should have been there at the start, disappeared for most of it and then returned at the end
    Biden should have turned up half way through
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    ToryJim said:

In the good old days it would have been Steve Penk doing the hoax call

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

There is an S in Ísland though.
    But it should be ÍSL not ISL then.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    A man has assaulted and beaten Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen on a street in Copenhagen, Danish broadcaster TV2 reported.

https://x.com/politicoeurope/status/1799171751558996119?s=61

Eek. I hope she’s ok.

Is Sunak at the footy?

The timings yesterday were all wrong.

Sunak should have been there throughout
    Macron should have been there at the start, disappeared for most of it and then returned at the end
    Biden should have turned up half way through
    The Canadians ....
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Heathener said:

boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Yeah I don’t have a problem with you calling it out. But what is to the manor born?
    Really? Penelope Kieth, Richard Bowles? Huge in the late 1970s.
    kle4 said:

I saw on the wiki page for the election a few predictions with the Tories getting around 190 seats. If they were offered that now I think they'd leap at the chance!

The ranges are pretty amaxing - Tories 75-194, Labour 390-475, LDs 22-61, SNP 11-24, PC 1-4 (which feels very broad given the number of seats in Wales), Greens 1-2, Reform 0-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_United_Kingdom_general_election

Which are the two seats Greens are thought to be close in? One in Bristol and still Brighton?

I've mostly been looking at the FT's polling tracker rather than Wiki recently but looking at the table, that's a truly fucking awful set of polls for Blue Team since the debate.
    ToryJim said:

A man has assaulted and beaten Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen on a street in Copenhagen, Danish broadcaster TV2 reported.

https://x.com/politicoeurope/status/1799171751558996119?s=61

Eek. I hope she’s ok.

Do danish pm's not have a security detail?

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Iceland, being ghastly foreigners, spell the name of their country Ísland.
    It should be like the T20 World Cup, every team there has their country's name on their shirts IN ENGLISH as God himself intended. (/s obviously)

Heathener said:

boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

It’s a 70’s or 80’s tv show which is surprisingly amusing. It’s like watching my parents and friends parents at their peak having awkward social situations. I’m amazed your Tory friends don’t talk to you about it, it’s right up their street by the sound of things. It’s centred around a “Will they or won’t they” relationship like Leon and Cyclefree, two star crossed lovers separated by social class and bullshit. Like Marina Hyde and Piers Morgan even.
    DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

If someone is willing to work for £x, has there been a situation where the manager has said "You're doing great, we'll pay you more money for exactly the same job" Employers look at retention rates and what the competition is offering to decide what to pay their employees.
    Yes absolutely that situation happens all the time, whenever that employers competitors are offering £x+y then the employer can't afford to only offer £x unless they want to lose all of their good employees.

As you acknowledge, competition exists.

Currently the competition has to price in NI, which means they reduce wages proportionately as its a direct cost to them for employing someone. Remove employers NI and the competition can afford to pay more, which when we have full employment means only one thing.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

Phil said:

DM_Andy said:

tlg86 said:

Unless you're the government.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

If one went to a public school like Rishi and I football is rugby football and the game on now is soccer
    Whereas up here in the Red Wall that nonsense you posh lads play isn't proper rugby.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

**EXCLUSIVE**

Just more driving on the demand side, rather than addressing the need for a functioning market.

Arse about face.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    Jon Craig Sky political correspondent thinks Mordaunt was class and very polished . Jeez is he drunk !

I like Penny but really she wasn’t great tonight .
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Ok Dafydd ap Hyufd, but you're the one who started talking about it, not me!
    He obviously didn't go to Eton ...
This discussion has been closed.