Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,750
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Not enough people are aware of the extent of damage of Ukraine’s electricity production due to the relentless Russian strikes...

Before the full-scale invasion Ukraine had about 55 gigawatts (GW) of electricity production. The FT recently wrote that about 20 GW are left. Just last Saturday alone, RU destroyed 1.2 GW of production.

Several 🇺🇦 experts believe this number is more 6-10 GW, which means Ukraine lacks the means to cover electricity demands of private and industrial consumers. For peak summer but especially this winter, we will face hours long outages. Some quotes from the FT article that highlight the severity of the situation:

“Asked what the damage would mean for the months ahead, one of the officials put it bluntly: “We should prepare for life in the cold and the dark.”
    “This is our new normal,” the second official said, gesturing outside a window to the darkness that had descended on Kyiv during a recent emergency power shutdown…

If no measures are taken, according to our modelling, then probably the population will have only two to four hours of electricity [per day] in January,” said Borys Dodonov, head of energy and climate studies at the Kyiv School of Economics.”

https://x.com/mattia_n/status/1799023310816076197

Trust me. I’ve noticed

This is what the portable generators sound like all over Odessa. Add in diesel fumes for extra annoyance

It is maddening. And this is across Ukraine now I think. Even in Lviv

https://imgur.com/gallery/PCrfSpo

We've been suffering from intermittent @Leon ?

Has anyone noticed, so resilient is the service? :wink:
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,996

In his resignation letter, seen by The Telegraph, Mr Acheson, a former prison governor, said: “It was an act of either colossal stupidity or cynical calculation.
    “Either way, it revealed to me that while I still embrace a conservative philosophy, I am no longer willing to have it outsourced to a bunch of mendacious, incompetent and disreputable clowns.
    “Country before party. Always.”

https://archive.ph/bAx2k

Chortle. Oh this is delicious.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited June 7
    In the debate tonight, Rayner is going to complain that this election was their chance to get themselves across, and explain to the voters the detail and minutia of all their plans for government, but Sunak is deliberately drowning this out and hogging the narrative, with constant stories of his own ineptitude.

Senior Labour sources are upset the voters will go into election day still unclear what Labours actual plans are. They believed the focus of the campaign would be on them and their policies, and suspect Sunak deliberately pulled his Dunkirk Moment stunt to continue to lock Labour out from its deserved special moment in the spotlight.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,555
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

LATEST

Popstar Holly Valance holds crunch last minute talks with Reform UK to stand against Tory chairman Richard Holden in election.
    She must decide by 4pm today.

This could start a political arms race to recruit Australian soap stars.
    Surely Reform are choosing on the basis of their, er, robust political views?

In which case I imagine they'll be drumming up Eric Clapton and Morrissey next.
    Aussie soaps much more suitable.

Paul Robinson clearly a blue wall Tory. Stand him somewhere in Surrey.

Harold Bishop an old school
    Tory Wet. Probably also vulnerable to the Lib Dems.

Mrs Mangle standing as Tory for Maidenhead.

Helen Robinson gets a cross bench peerage in the Lords.

Scott standing for Labour in a London seat.

Charlene Labour up in Manchester.

Henry standing for the Lib Dems somewhere in the West Country.

Over in Home and Away Alf Stewart standing for Reform in Thanet.

Like a lot of other people, I spent a inordinate amount of time watching this show. Looking back it's difficult to see what was so engrossing about the likes of Harold Bishop, Mrs Mangel, etc. 😊
    Ha ha, me too ––– and fair point!

In any case, I think it's shocking that @TimS has failed to find a winnable seat for the iconic Madge Bishop (nee Ramsay)
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

ToryJim said:

Seems there’s some last minute shenanigans in Hemel Hempstead as the recently selected Tory candidate resigns/is dumped at the last minute. When the story is written of this election it might not fit in one volume.

https://x.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1799082221284028894?s=46

What sort of spelling is Jaymey?
    Well I think all sorts of spellings get tried out these days. I don’t care how his parents decided to spell his name, I’m intrigued as to why he’s suddenly been dropped an hour before the deadline though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,817

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Now the former military themselves are piling in on Sunak. Starting with Lord West, former head of the Royal Navy.

Top story in the Mirror Guardian Indepedent Telegraph.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/07/general-election-latest-news-rishi-sunak-keir-starmer/

Good greif, did you see the 2:21 story about the resignation? OK, so it's only Mr Gove's adviser, but the tone makes Mr Duguid look like an example from the Sermon on the Mount.

'Ian Acheson, who has advised the Communities Secretary on extremism, said the Prime Minister’s decision was a “colossal act of disrespect” to war veterans on what could be the last commemoration that they could attend.

In his resignation letter, seen by The Telegraph, Mr Acheson, a former prison governor, said: “It was an act of either colossal stupidity or cynical calculation.

“Either way, it revealed to me that while I still embrace a conservative philosophy, I am no longer willing to have it outsourced to a bunch of mendacious, incompetent and disreputable clowns. Country before party. Always.”'
    Even Andrew Lloyd Weber is piling in.

Andrew Lloyd Webber has accused Rishi Sunak of an “astonishing and terrible lack of political judgment” after leaving D-Day commemorations early.

Lord Lloyd Webber, a lifelong Conservative supporter, composed a new piece of music, Lovingly Remembered, to mark the 80th anniversary of the landings.
    Ok, I’m now warming to Rishi.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    edited June 7
    Con Hemel Hempstead candidate has quit (personal reasons). 35 minutes to find another candidate…

Majority of 14,000 and looks like they won’t be able to field a candidate.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,115
    I'm starting to think that Sunak may be an even worse PM than Truss. At least she didn't embarrass herself when the Queen died and she left promptly when she knew it was over.

Also I see Rishi has been in Stroud today. WTF? It only had a majority of about 2k in 2019 and the Yougov MRP predicts 51% Lab, 25% Con. Even with a bit of swingback, it's not a seat the Cons can realistically hold. Is it just machismo to pretend that the Cons can hold on to some sort of majority?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,440
    malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The state of this

“Baillie Gifford cancels all remaining sponsorships of literary festivals”

https://x.com/guardianbooks/status/1798748715156643956?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

They’ve done this because a small group of Woke trustafarian idiots have campaigned for it bEcAuSe IsRaeL

Never give in to these people. You give an inch and before you know it everything is cancelled / problematic.
    The activists are basically objecting to BF being an investment company.

...“The assertion that we have significant amounts of money in the occupied Palestinian territories is offensively misleading. Baillie Gifford is a large investor in several multinational technology companies, including Amazon, Nvidia and Meta. Demanding divestment from these global companies, used by millions of people around the world, is unreasonable and serves no purpose. Much as it would be unreasonable to demand authors boycott Instagram or stop selling books on Amazon.”

Baillie Gifford was also not a “significant fossil fuel investor”, Thomas said. “Only 2% of our clients’ money is invested in companies with some business related to fossil fuels. We invest far more in companies helping drive the transition to clean energy.”..
    This is my point. They are rarely if ever good faith actors, they despise the capitalist system, it must be torn down. I bet we all indirectly have 2% of our pension etc invested in these areas.

One of the XR founder was honest about it at the beginning, that climate change cause was just a vehicle to help them achieve this by tapping into wider public concerns about the environment.

This is what they are doing here, leveraging fossil fuels and Israel.
    XR are a bunch of risibles.
    Anyone serious about action on climate change should share that opinion.
    At some point, assuming that the science is broadly sound, then combining this with the actual current facts and only possible trajectory of CO2 emissions a particular thing has to change, and it will embarrass a lot of people. It is this:

There is no route whatsoever out of very substantial global warming as a result of actions past, present and immediate future. None of this is stoppable.

If the science is correct, the immediate issue is how to plan for and deal with the realities of this fact.

This has been true for some years, but people cling to the myth that 'we have five (insert similar number) years to save the world by abolishing oil and gas'.
    The most important thing now is still to reduce the amount of global warming that we have to adjust to by reducing fossil fuel use, and other sources of GHGs, as quickly as possible.

There's a big difference between 2C of warming and 4C.
    But the reality is we're already doing that.

We've already set our course to do our bit. We've stopped burning coal, we've eliminated a significant chunk of our emissions and we're on course for more of the same.

We should tackle our emissions. We are doing. Nothing needs to change on that, we just need to "keep calm and carry on".
    while India and China pile the coal into the boilers for full speed ahead.
    Spot on malc.

The usual nonsense to make us all poorer.
  • Options

I'm starting to think that Sunak may be an even worse PM than Truss. At least she didn't embarrass herself when the Queen died and she left promptly when she knew it was over.

Also I see Rishi has been in Stroud today. WTF? It only had a majority of about 2k in 2019 and the Yougov MRP predicts 51% Lab, 25% Con. Even with a bit of swingback, it's not a seat the Cons can realistically hold. Is it just machismo to pretend that the Cons can hold on to some sort of majority?

I think, given the events of recent days, imbuing any kind of logic or reasoning to Rishi and his campaign is futile…
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,430
    PJH said:

With all the speculation about whether the Tories will field a full slate of candidates (of course they will) a fun fact. The last time the Tories didn't stand a candidate in a GE (except for Speaker/Northern Ireland) was in 1970 - Greenock. They stood down in favour of a Liberal or Independent Conservative a handful of times in the 1950s (counting National Liberals as Conservatives for this purpose).

Labour of course stood aside for Martin Bell in Tatton in 1997 but prior to that I think the previous time they failed to put a full slate up was in 1945.

There are also the post-nomination technicalities: cases where candidates are publicly disavowed, or even officially suspended, but the nomination on paper still stands, like Labour in Banff and Buchan in 2015.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Con Hemel Hempstead candidate has quit (personal reasons). 35 minutes to find another candidate…

Er... what?
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,596
    @AlexTaylorNews

2 leading German papers on the UK election today

"What have Brexit and Voldemort got in common ? People find them awful but their name must never be spoken"
    Die Zeit↙️

"Brexit has become taboo, which, given the problems the country faces, is grotesque"
    Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️
  • Options
    🔵 HEMEL HEMPSTEAD: local members told CCHQ had had "anonymous complaint against his prior conduct which requires investigating by the party. Having refuted the allegations and refused to resign his candidacy Jaymey has had his membership of the Party immediately suspended ..."

https://x.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1799085755186458905?s=46

Seems someone did an LRM on the now previous Tory candidate
  • Options

In the debate tonight, Rayner is going to complain that this election was their chance to get themselves across, and explain to the voters the detail and minutia of all their plans for government, but Sunak is deliberately drowning this out and hogging the narrative, with constant stories of his own ineptitude.

Senior Labour sources are upset the voters will go into election day still unclear what Labours actual plans are. They believed the focus of the campaign would be on them and their policies, and suspect Sunak deliberately pulled his Dunkirk Moment stunt to continue to lock Labour out from its deserved special moment in the spotlight.

What's your preview on the all-important Battle of the Big Hair?

Any inside track from the Beeb's hair and makeup team?

Red Angela for the win or Blue Penny to sail away with victory?
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Er... what?
    Pretty much my reaction. Crick sounding like they may have someone else lined up but it’ll be tight. Wonder what those reasons were…

Is someone digging up dirt on Tory candidates and telling them right before the deadline?
  • Options
    edited June 7
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Er... what?
    Pretty much my reaction. Crick sounding like they may have someone else lined up but it’ll be tight. Wonder what those reasons were…

Is someone digging up dirt on Tory candidates and telling them right before the deadline?
    The poor sod realised they had 4 weeks of sheer masochism lined up for themselves and got the f*ck out?

EDIT: can see now they have been suspended
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Er... what?

It would seem so.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,362

Why is the Returning Officer always called the Acting Returning Officer, both on my poll card and when sharing the limelight at 4am with Count Binface. What added value does the word Acting bring to the party?

The Returning Officer is officially some senior Council bod who has the statutory responsibilities. The Acting Returning Officer is the person who understands the detail.
  • Options

@AlexTaylorNews

"What have Brexit and Voldemort got in common ? People find them awful but their name must never be spoken"
    Die Zeit↙️

"Brexit has become taboo, which, given the problems the country faces, is grotesque"
    Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Brave for a country which has just downgraded all its economic forecasts.
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 45% (-1)
    CON: 20% (-1)
    RFM: 15% (+2)
    LDM: 10% (+2)
    GRN: 5% (-1)
    SNP: 3% (=)

Via @wethinkpolling, 6-7 Jun.
    Changes w/ 30-31 May.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 464
    Is there a chance that Reform defections could happen at the deadline and we don’t find out until after 4pm?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,653
    @Stefan_Boscia

Fury from within Tory Party about Sunak's early Normandy exit. A minister said they were “astonished” and ex-minister said it was "fucking nuts"

Big opportunity now for Labour to paint Starmer as a statesman on world stage — as I write in
    @PoliticoEurope

https://x.com/Stefan_Boscia/status/1799083749080174881
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,354
    "Good-morning, good-morning!" said Rishi Sunak
    When we met him last week on our way to the line.
    Now the MPs he smiled at are most of 'em sacked,
    And we're cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
    “He's a cheery old card,” grunted Harry to Krishnan
    As they slogged up to canvass and leaflet in Lothian

But he did for them both by his plan of election.

with apologies to Siegfried Sassoon
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,813
    edited June 7

I don't fancy Penny Mourdant job this evening. It bad enough having 6 others gang up on you in a debate over your record in government, now what does she do about Sunak decision?

Hi,

She’ll emphasise that he has apologised.

Which works beautifully for her on every level.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,871

So shallow and uninformed. It's obviously all about shoulder pads and shoes.
  • Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 63
    ToryJim said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Er... what?

It would seem so.
    It'll be a rival who wants the gig - last minute knifing leaving them the only option
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
  • Options
    If that wasn’t bad enough, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has hit his lowest ever net approval score, falling one to –32.

👍 Approve: 23% (-1)
    👎 Disapprove: 55% (NC)
    😐 Neither: 22% (+1)

https://x.com/wethinkpolling/status/1799086543031726480

And if the Tory doldrums weren’t enough to put a broad grin on Sir Keir Starmer’s face, then this surely must... his net approval surged by 13 points to +14 this week – his highest ever.

👍 Approve: 42% (+7)
    👎 Disapprove: 28% (-6)
    😐 Neither: 31% (NC)

Is it a post-debate bounce? Mr Starmer also strikes gold with another huge lead, this time in our ‘preferred Prime Minister’ tracker where he gains another two points to create a 22-point gap.

🔴 Keir Starmer: 47% (+2)
    🔵 Rishi Sunak: 25% (NC)
    ⚪ Don’t know: 28% (-3)

Kind of feels like SKS has won.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Er... what?
    Crick sounding like they may have someone else lined up but it’ll be tight. Wonder what those reasons were…

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Presumably a lot of that surveyed before D-Day-Disaster unfolded…
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    What is the most recent example in the Western World of a party having as high a majority as this, in an actual democracy?
  • Options
    Dopermean said:

ToryJim said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Er... what?

It would seem so.
    It'll be a rival who wants the gig - last minute knifing leaving them the only option
    Possibly or someone he’s annoyed at some point, apparently the complaint was received with photos according to Crick. Messy. Not that the Tories had much chance of holding on.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,007
    Chameleon said:

Seems a bit odd leaving it as late as this, even with personal problems.
  • Options

If that wasn’t bad enough, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has hit his lowest ever net approval score, falling one to –32.

👍 Approve: 23% (-1)
    👎 Disapprove: 55% (NC)
    😐 Neither: 22% (+1)

https://x.com/wethinkpolling/status/1799086543031726480

And if the Tory doldrums weren’t enough to put a broad grin on Sir Keir Starmer’s face, then this surely must... his net approval surged by 13 points to +14 this week – his highest ever.

👍 Approve: 42% (+7)
    👎 Disapprove: 28% (-6)
    😐 Neither: 31% (NC)

Is it a post-debate bounce? Mr Starmer also strikes gold with another huge lead, this time in our ‘preferred Prime Minister’ tracker where he gains another two points to create a 22-point gap.

🔴 Keir Starmer: 47% (+2)
    🔵 Rishi Sunak: 25% (NC)
    ⚪ Don’t know: 28% (-3)

Kind of feels like SKS has won.

I like how Sunak is third in a 2 horse race. Seems about right for this campaign.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,127

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    What is the most recent example in the Western World of a party having as high a majority as this, in an actual democracy?
    It won’t happen, but if it did they would need to redesign the House of Commons.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,210

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    I'm getting to the point where I wonder of the Lib Dems will be the official opposition, SNP third party (say 17 seats) and the Tories 4th...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

You do realise that those pesky furriners with their stinky ways have things called “newspapers” that have views independent of their governments don’t you? Or do you think we are too important for others to make comment on us?
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,079
    edited June 7

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    I'd guess it's pretty unlikely in proportional representation systems or the like. FPTP, on the other hand, tends to give quasi-stable two-party equilibria that, when they do flip, lead to dramatic changes of fortune.
  • Options
    edited June 7

Is there a chance that Reform defections could happen at the deadline and we don’t find out until after 4pm?

Yes, because as I said yesterday there's no way of knowing what nominations have been made until they're announced by the council, unless candidates decide to publicise it themselves, and there's no obligation for them to do that.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,806

The Green Party candidate may split the vote, and let the Tory come through the middle.
  • Options
    It’s all a bit final episode of Blackadder at the moment for the Tories.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    Hard to say because most systems used in the West are PR and not directly comparable.

From our history it would be 1931.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I wonder what the next cunning plan with be?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,811
    Dopermean said:

ToryJim said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Er... what?

It would seem so.
    Would be funny if Sunak was knifed, Suella became leader and the Tories somehow won the election. Everyone would be banging their heads on the table wishing they had just shut up about D-day.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,938
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

LATEST

Popstar Holly Valance holds crunch last minute talks with Reform UK to stand against Tory chairman Richard Holden in election.
    She must decide by 4pm today.

This could start a political arms race to recruit Australian soap stars.
    Surely Reform are choosing on the basis of their, er, robust political views?

In which case I imagine they'll be drumming up Eric Clapton and Morrissey next.
    Her political views have a definite audience. Stop making kids depressed with climate catastrophism, stop trans stuff in schools, keep sexuality private. Not too sure about her comments on Andrew Tate though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVnRdQ4UJbI

This stuff will become more and more mainstream and it will drive people on the left completely mad. But it is an inevitable reaction to the cultural dominance of the left, eventually the pendulum swings the other way.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

You do realise that those pesky furriners with their stinky ways have things called “newspapers” that have views independent of their governments don’t you? Or do you think we are too important for others to make comment on us?
    Given I was Geschatsfueher in Germany for five years, speak fluent German, read the German press every day and am currently working in Germany. I suspect I have a better feel for the place than you. But dont let that stop you.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,210
    Jonathan said:

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    It won’t happen, but if it did they would need to redesign the House of Commons.
    Why won't it happen - I mean seriously, who is going to vote for the Tory candidate in enough numbers that they get 200 seats..
  • Options

Chameleon said:

I genuinely think Rishi would try the pencils and underpants routine at this point.
  • Options
    eek said:

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    I'm getting to the point where I wonder of the Lib Dems will be the official opposition, SNP third party (say 17 seats) and the Tories 4th...
    If Reform steal a march it’s possible the Tories could come 5th…..
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,750

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

We exported a sense of humour - whodathunkit ?
    :smile:
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    Hard to say because most systems used in the West are PR and not directly comparable.

Yeah there really are no examples are there. Maybe certain sections of the press will all start to vociferously demand PR.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

At this point it’d be a marked improvement if they actually got Labour firing at them rather than a surplus of blue on blue action in the trenches.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,348
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Sunak asking young people to do National Service or to volunteer one weekend a month and then couldn’t be arsed to spend a full day honouring veterans . This will be another take on events .

This latest own goal by him just feeds into other policy announcements .

If you’re on the left liberal wing and echoing that superb post by Big G North Wales we need to be worried about what’s to come.

So us liberal lefties are in the weird position of obviously wanting the Tories to lose but to not get pulverized and certainly we don’t want Farage winning in Clacton .

I’m sure the other parties will have their gaffes during the campaign and will have those very bad news days but Sunak really needs to get a grip .

No. We really really really want Farage to win and we want him to beat the Tories to death and we want him to be leader of the opposition and then become prime minister

Look at the polls. He’s the most popular politician in the land. Sure he’s also hated. But the same was true of thatcher. Very popular with some disliked by many - she got things done and didn’t care
    What, in is history, makes you think Farage would be a competent, or even good, PM?
    He just has to be better than Sunak. Or truss. Or Boris. Or may. Or Cameron. Or brown

It’s not a high bar and then suddenly he’s the best pm in a generation
    If you had spent any time with him, talking in a relaxed situation, you would know he’s a complete lightweight, past the golf club bonhomie he’s fucking humourless and witless. He’s amusing for ten minutes but two hours later when you’ve tried to have interesting chats you realise there is nothing there apart from the most basic simplistic opinions in a very narrow sphere of politics.

Its why Trump loves him, he won’t have anything interesting to say, no interesting ideas but will happily parrot back what Trump says like an echo chamber and they all sit grinning about how great they are.

I know you think you are being a bit edgy calling for him to take over but you will the first crying like a baby when you realise what you’ve got. I don’t even live in the UK and worry about what would happen if he was in charge.
    Did it ever occur to you he probably thought you were a bit of a dick too?

*Ripping off a quote from Rupert Murdoch
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,539

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Given I was Geschatsfueher in Germany for five years, speak fluent German, read the German press every day and am currently working in Germany. I suspect I have a better feel for the place than you. But dont let that stop you.
    A rather robust assessment here, from the chairman of the board of the German stock exchange:

https://brusselssignal.eu/2024/06/its-over-german-economic-policy-a-sheer-catastrophe-stock-exchange-chief-claims/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,127
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    Why won't it happen - I mean seriously, who is going to vote for the Tory candidate in enough numbers that they get 200 seats..
    DDay thing hurts them with their core support as did partying during COVID and disrespecting the late queen, but i still expect the loyal Tories to turn out.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Your German spelling certainly seems to be on a par with your English spelling.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,482
    edited June 7
    Just a thought.

People have been struggling to understand several things about the D-Day affair - how Sunak could have been mad enough to leave early, why that time and date for recording the interview were suggested by the Tories, and why it was so far in advance of transmission.

It is conceivable that there was going to be an attempt by senior party figures to take control of the direction of the campaign, and that Sunak was desperate to pre-empt that by recording the interview before it could happen? Perhaps in the same way as in 1990 Thatcher rushed out and told the press she was fighting on, before her colleagues could stop her?
  • Options
    edited June 7
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, because as I said yesterday there's no way of knowing what nominations have been made until they're announced by the council, unless candidates decide to publicise it themselves, and there's no obligation for them to do that.
    Mass announcement at 4:01pm, in advance of the debate, perhaps? Or maybe they’d want to give d-day gate more time to percolate.

In all seriousness although I have money on it I imagine it’s not happening now or we would have heard some rumblings.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Ever the middle managers call. Senior management dont worry about it.
  • Options
    Next week’s fun will be the mass witch hunt of all candidates from all parties to see who has said despicable things. Hope the Tories have enough money and sense (hoho) to have hired Kroll ready to deep dive on Labour and reform as it might be the only way they get to save seats.

Are there any betting opportunities on how many selected candidates have to withdraw or have party support withdrawn before the election?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.
    DDay thing hurts them with their core support as did partying during COVID and disrespecting the late queen, but i still expect the loyal Tories to turn out.
    But will they have enough canvassers to drive both of them from the care home to the polling booth?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,354

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

"Away with thee forecaster. Weve all done forecasts and realise is just dressed up guesswork."
    -- you

"Forecasts are not reality."
    -- also you
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,482

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

I think you're missing a couple of apostrophes there.
  • Options

On topic (but it will take me a while to get to it):

Could Political Betting help people become "super-agers"? An article in the May 7th NYT describes the findings from studies in Spain and Chicago of "super-agers", old people who are especially active mentally -- for their age.

Here, for me, is the most interesting finding: "The behaviors of some of the Chicago super-agers were similarly a surprise. Some exercised regularly, but some never had; some stuck to a Mediterranean diet, others subsisted off TV dinners; and a few of them still smoked cigarettes. However, one consistency among the group was that they tended to have strong social relationships, Dr. Rogalski said." (from an article by Dana G. Smith, titled "Peering Inside the Brains of 'Super-Agers')

To the extent that PB helps people have "strong social relationships", it will help them age well.

(And for the application to US politics? Social relationships have broken down in the US over recent decades, weakening families and communities. And that contributes to the widespread unhappiness in this wealthy nation, an unhappiness that is exploited by so many.)

I'm not sure that online relationships are quite the same as real life ones.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

"Away with thee forecaster. Weve all done forecasts and realise is just dressed up guesswork."
    -- you

"Forecasts are not reality."
    -- also you
    Absolutely.

But you believe them, so be afraid.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

The word you were trying to articulate is Geschäftsführer, or Geschaeftsfuehrer if you don't have access to umlauts.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,661
    Chameleon said:

That would take fiasco to a whole new level. Slightly sinister dirty tricks, possibly?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

The word you were trying to articulate is Geschäftsführer, or Geschaeftsfuehrer if you don't have access to umlauts.
    Would you like a job as a secretary ?
  • Options

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Sunak asking young people to do National Service or to volunteer one weekend a month and then couldn’t be arsed to spend a full day honouring veterans . This will be another take on events .

This latest own goal by him just feeds into other policy announcements .

If you’re on the left liberal wing and echoing that superb post by Big G North Wales we need to be worried about what’s to come.

So us liberal lefties are in the weird position of obviously wanting the Tories to lose but to not get pulverized and certainly we don’t want Farage winning in Clacton .

I’m sure the other parties will have their gaffes during the campaign and will have those very bad news days but Sunak really needs to get a grip .

No. We really really really want Farage to win and we want him to beat the Tories to death and we want him to be leader of the opposition and then become prime minister

Look at the polls. He’s the most popular politician in the land. Sure he’s also hated. But the same was true of thatcher. Very popular with some disliked by many - she got things done and didn’t care
    What, in is history, makes you think Farage would be a competent, or even good, PM?
    He just has to be better than Sunak. Or truss. Or Boris. Or may. Or Cameron. Or brown

It’s not a high bar and then suddenly he’s the best pm in a generation
    If you had spent any time with him, talking in a relaxed situation, you would know he’s a complete lightweight, past the golf club bonhomie he’s fucking humourless and witless. He’s amusing for ten minutes but two hours later when you’ve tried to have interesting chats you realise there is nothing there apart from the most basic simplistic opinions in a very narrow sphere of politics.

Its why Trump loves him, he won’t have anything interesting to say, no interesting ideas but will happily parrot back what Trump says like an echo chamber and they all sit grinning about how great they are.

I know you think you are being a bit edgy calling for him to take over but you will the first crying like a baby when you realise what you’ve got. I don’t even live in the UK and worry about what would happen if he was in charge.
    Did it ever occur to you he probably thought you were a bit of a dick too?

*Ripping off a quote from Rupert Murdoch
    I’m sure he did but weirdly didn’t say anything as I was picking up the tab for the copious quantities of wine. I was actually quite pro his politics at that point so went along at great cost hoping to enjoy the conversation and the meeting and it completely wrecked my opinions of him so I wasn’t sitting there goading him or trying to trip him up which I’m guessing you think I was doing.

I was very disappointed in his understanding of the markets, current affairs and he lacked any clear wide vision. Again I was a soft supporter - Farage curious if you will - before but not after.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Mass announcement at 4:01pm, in advance of the debate, perhaps? Or maybe they’d want to give d-day gate more time to percolate.

In all seriousness although I have money on it I imagine it’s not happening now or we would have heard some rumblings.
    I thought we might have heard something too though we do still have to remember on current polling and in most seats a Tory candidate transferring to Reform is going from a no-hoper to…. well, most probably a no hoper. There are some seat profiles where that might be different - eg red wall - but most of those MPs seem to have thrown in the towel anyway and probably are more interested in looking for jobs.

• Options
    Chameleon said:

It's reached the stage where if they only manage to lose half their seats at the election and end up with about 180 it'll be regarded as a good result.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,137
    Nominations closed.

Statement of persons nominated in one hour.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Your underwhelming intellect again screams to the fore. You suggested that the views of two newspapers represented the views of a nation. Furthermore the comment they made had nothing to do whatsoever with the economic performance of the country in question. Finally, I make no claim to a special knowledge of Germany, but I know what a newspaper is. Still, carry on with the supercilious grandstanding, it's about all you have.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,938
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cqqq952e3v6o

The right could win big in Europe – thanks to young people

“The radical right channels anti-establishment feelings,” he told the BBC. “They have a bit of a rebellious vibe - especially when it comes to their anti-woke agenda - and that appeals to young people.”

Fair play to the BBC for this article. People make very flawed assumptions about young people.
  • Options
    ianian Posts: 19
    I know very little about these things,but is this DDay thing, what is referred to as a Black Swan?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

It's reached the stage where if they only manage to lose half their seats at the election and end up with about 180 it'll be regarded as a good result.
    Honestly if they get 180 they should be popping the champagne corks.

• Options

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Using foreign words in an English sentence and completely misspelling them just makes you look like a dick.
  • Options
    Another poll partly conducted since Sunak's D-Day disaster shows Lab lead growing to 21 pts with pollsters
    @Moreincommon_

- LAB: 46 (-)
    - CON: 25 (-2)
    - REF: 11 (+1)
    - LD: 9 (+1)
    - GRN: 6 (+1)

(5-7 June)

Starmer now has 18-point lead over Sunak on who would be best PM

https://x.com/AdamBienkov/status/1799093963921699210

Disaster.
  • Options

Another poll partly conducted since Sunak's D-Day disaster shows Lab lead growing to 21 pts with pollsters
    @Moreincommon_

(5-7 June)

Disaster.

Bad one for Farage.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,789
    boulay said:

Next week’s fun will be the mass witch hunt of all candidates from all parties to see who has said despicable things. Hope the Tories have enough money and sense (hoho) to have hired Kroll ready to deep dive on Labour and reform as it might be the only way they get to save seats.

Are there any betting opportunities on how many selected candidates have to withdraw or have party support withdrawn before the election?

Kroll you say?

It's be raining bankers in the atrium.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 303
    The most inexcusable aspect of Sunak's behaviour over D-day from my perspective is that it has given so much, entirely predictable, publicity to that revolting specimen Mr Farage.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Your underwhelming intellect again screams to the fore. You suggested that the views of two newspapers represented the views of a nation. Furthermore the comment they made had nothing to do whatsoever with the economic performance of the country in question. Finally, I make no claim to a special knowledge of Germany, but I know what a newspaper is. Still, carry on with the supercilious grandstanding, it's about all you have.
    More than happy to.
  • Options

@Moreincommon_

(5-7 June)

Disaster.

Only partly after the D-Day Disaster though, and it shows a 2 point fall.

I think it’s quite plausible it could cause a 5 point hit, give or take.
  • Options
    If Reform end up having 100 fewer candidates than the Tories, can they still realistically beat them in vote share?

Would love if a maths boffin could clear this up for me - I may sell my ‘REFUK to beat CON vote share’ right now if so, rather than waiting for after tonight’s debate.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Using foreign words in an English sentence and completely misspelling them just makes you look like a dick.
    Says the man who can't spell Fearsome Engineer.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

@AlexTaylorNews

Die Zeit↙️

Handelsblatt (🇩🇪 FT) ↘️

Says the man who can't spell Fearsome Engineer.
    Well spotted! There's hope for you yet.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,183
    Sandpit said:

Nominations closed.

Statement of persons nominated in one hour.

Some districts have got theirs up already - impressive work.
  • Options
    Hilarious if any of the main parties have failed to put up candidates, but unlikely.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

There will be plenty of other hair on the platform… well, from six of the debaters at least, so we should be fair and divide attention equally amongst it all?

What would they do in make up with Stephen from Scotland? Too glossy and it could reflect the lights, and prove a distraction advantage when he’s speaking? So a Matt finish on the old egg shell?
  • Options
    Starmer is now not bad on the ratings, +16 so not that different to Cameron.

Sunak on -32
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,813
    edited June 7

@Moreincommon_

(5-7 June)

Disaster.

That’s the highest ever Labour lead with More in Common! And as per others, most of it conducted before the furore over D-Day.

The polls this weekend could make for interesting viewing.
  • Options

@Moreincommon_

(5-7 June)

Disaster.

Most of that poll predates D-Daygate. It's a fairly old survey.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,430

ToryJim said:

Changes w/ 30-31 May.

Just for fun, Baxtered:

CON 30
    LAB 531
    LIB 53
    REF 0
    GRN 1
    SNP 13
    PLC 4

Labour majority of 412.

In vaguely recent history, you had the 1984 Canadian election where the Tories won three-quarters of the seats; still well below these estimates, but in line with the more modest estimates that still have the Tories in the hundreds rather than the dozens.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,137
    Andy_JS said:

Hilarious if any of the main parties have failed to put up candidates, but unlikely.

There’s almost always a procedural cockup somewhere, someone got the time wrong or a signature in the wrong place.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,540

There will be plenty of other hair on the platform… well, from six of the debaters at least, so we should be fair and divide attention equally amongst it all?

What would they do in make up with Stephen from Scotland? Too glossy and it could reflect the lights, and prove a distraction advantage when he’s speaking? So a Matt finish on the old egg shell?
    It's got to be a syrup.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,435

@Moreincommon_

(5-7 June)

Disaster.

So which fiascos were in the public's mind during the data collection for that poll, and which ones still have to hit?

To tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,511
    ToryJim said:

Seems there’s some last minute shenanigans in Hemel Hempstead as the recently selected Tory candidate resigns/is dumped at the last minute. When the story is written of this election it might not fit in one volume.

https://x.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1799082221284028894?s=46

My Christmas list is going to be wall-to-wall memoirs and behind the scenes stories of this election because there are so many aspects that are just inexplicable and there are still 27 days to polling day.
  • Options

Starmer is now not bad on the ratings, +16 so not that different to Cameron.

Sunak on -32

It makes you wonder what Sunaks going to do for the next 4 weeks. Starmer will be watching the football.
This discussion has been closed.