Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I think the Tories would be happy with these MRPs all things considered – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,877

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak’s basic problem is that most people hate him. But, he’s really carrying the can for the incompetence of May, Johnson, and Truss.

Do most (real world) people hate him? Really? PB is not the real world.
    When something went really badly wrong at work today someone quipped "that was a bit of a Sunak". It got a lot of knowing smiles.
    Yes, people in the real world seem to genuinely dislike Sunak. To a much more universal extent that seemed to be the case with Boris or Truss.
    Of course, that might just be his misfortune to be a fag-end PM. Possibly anyone in his situation would be regarded the same. But I don't recall the same level of opprobrium towards Major. Possibly towards Brown. Like Brown, Sunak unfortunately just ooozes insincerity.
    Unfair but yes. Sunak is neither as dishonest as Johnson nor as deluded as Truss but isn't appreciated for it.

I think there is some substance to the public's dislike of Sunak. A billionaire with a very right wing ideology, thinks government should be "small" ie favour rich people liked himself, has clearly no interest in people and how they live. This doesn't sit well.
    Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

No one who deliberately inflames culture wars, promotes sending boat people to a corrupt dangerous African country, attacks people with disabilities including mental ill-health, attacks LGBGTQ minorities, attacks young people on their smart phones and wants to march them off to war, flies everywhere in a helicopter to block out the appalling public service decline over which he has presided … can be described as a ‘nice guy.’

I’d love it if he lost his seat. He’s a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Only a tory campaigner a long, long, way down their rabbit hole could think otherwise.
    Well so you say but the only nastiness Ive noticed in this campaign is Starmer bullying a woman because she's elderly and black.

And probably because she's a woman too, Labour dont do women.
    You know, as well as I do, that in the words of Luke Skywalker not one single word of what you’ve just put is true.

Naughty boy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,476
    biggles said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I won't shed any tears if the Tories get wiped out on 4th July.

That only happens if Farage wipes them out and realigns the right in his favour.

However Reform voters alone even then would not be enough to beat Labour, they would need some One Nation Tories too. If they went LD then Starmer could largely stay PM even if the economy went south by dividing the opposition between Farage and Reform on the right, the LDs and rump One Nation centrist Tories and the Greens to his left. In such a scenario FPTP would ironically be better for Starmer Labour than FPTP but PR now better for the Tories as well as ReformUK, the LDs and Greens
    On the other hand PR would probably make the break up of the right wing into separate parties a permanent state of affairs.
    Do you think Starmer might really do it?

He'd have the opportunity. Blair had it, and passed.

It would render a massive improvement to our political system a single costless stroke.

I think he might but you can never be sure. Politicians, eh?
    In any world where Labour has 380+ seats, PR is going to be pretty unattractive to Starmer (and doubly so his MPs).
    It would depend on how things look going forward.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,448
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak’s basic problem is that most people hate him. But, he’s really carrying the can for the incompetence of May, Johnson, and Truss.

When something went really badly wrong at work today someone quipped "that was a bit of a Sunak". It got a lot of knowing smiles.
    Yes, people in the real world seem to genuinely dislike Sunak. To a much more universal extent that seemed to be the case with Boris or Truss.
    Of course, that might just be his misfortune to be a fag-end PM. Possibly anyone in his situation would be regarded the same. But I don't recall the same level of opprobrium towards Major. Possibly towards Brown. Like Brown, Sunak unfortunately just ooozes insincerity.
    Unfair but yes. Sunak is neither as dishonest as Johnson nor as deluded as Truss but isn't appreciated for it.

I think there is some substance to the public's dislike of Sunak. A billionaire with a very right wing ideology, thinks government should be "small" ie favour rich people liked himself, has clearly no interest in people and how they live. This doesn't sit well.
    Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

No one who deliberately inflames culture wars, promotes sending boat people to a corrupt dangerous African country, attacks people with disabilities including mental ill-health, attacks LGBGTQ minorities, attacks young people on their smart phones and wants to march them off to war, flies everywhere in a helicopter to block out the appalling public service decline over which he has presided … can be described as a ‘nice guy.’

Only a tory campaigner a long, long, way down their rabbit hole could think otherwise.
    Well so you say but the only nastiness Ive noticed in this campaign is Starmer bullying a woman because she's elderly and black.

You know, as well as I do, that in the words of Luke Skywalker not one single word of what you’ve just put is true.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

name me a female leader of Labour

name me a non-white Labour leader
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,118

If you want to understand just how manufactured the transgender culture war is, less than 2 years ago Kemi Badenoch was celebrating the fact that it was becoming easier to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

https://x.com/joseph_gellman/status/1797547988379955603

Nobody tell Leon.

Easier - by applying online

The criteria for obtaining one did not change.

That was what the Scottish GRR Bill sought to do and was blocked.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 986

BJP predicted to fall short of an absolute majority on its own, will have to rely on allies.

This doesn’t feel like a great result for Modi, all things considered.

Looking like a serious polling failure. They were supposed to be winning in the way the poll last night predicts for Labour here.
    My understanding is that turnout was surprisingly low in some of Modi's/BJP's heartlands. Hard to pick that up on polling I guess.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,637

BJP predicted to fall short of an absolute majority on its own, will have to rely on allies.

Looking like a serious polling failure. They were supposed to be winning in the way the poll last night predicts for Labour here.
    Undermines Modi’s ‘I am sent by God’ schtick a bit as well; clearly the divine realm is hedging now.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,850
    edited June 4

In the past 50 years, Tokyo has built more new homes than the *total* number of homes in New York City.

https://x.com/sam_d_1995/status/1797415566094807375

Here's a riddle for PB this morning. London stats, 2011 - 2021.

Population + 7.7%
    Households + 4.6%
    Dwellings + 10.7%
    House prices + 72%
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 986

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

To be pedantic, Harriet Harman.

But I get your point.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,229
    sbjme19 said:

Farage is vg at grinning but a clip on Newsnight showed him throwing a hissy fit (or doing a Kemi) when a journo was trying to question him....the BBC is a disgrace etc . Galloway reacts in just the same way.

His 8th FPTP loss is going to be one of the highlights of July 5th.

He has a level of support, but with a low ceiling.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,888

Heathener said:

I really hope the genuinely decent people in the Conservative Party (of whom CR isn’t one) can wrestle back their Party.

We need them back on the centre-right.

Extremism of the Faragist-Sunak-Badenoch-Braverman-Tommy Robinson populist kind should appall all but the most nasty citizens.

Thank goodness we have FPTP in this country to help keep out such extremism.

LOL lefties have been wishing for the obliteration of the Conservaties for as long as I can remember now it seems possible you are all bricking it.

Be careful what you wish for.
    The Conservatives need a drubbing, so they can realise where they've gone wrong over the last ten years.

But the country also needs a strong opposition - and if the worst case comes to fruition, who would that voice be? The Lib Dems? The SNP? The Tories?

Also, we'll be getting a load of new MPs in. I am a little nervous that some of these MPs might not be of a suitable standard.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

p.s. lovely to see my friend Mishal Husain eviscerate Kemi Badenoch yesterday. About time someone took down the opportunistic little shit and that person probably needed to be a) woman and b) someone of colour.

Mishal is very bright, unlike her interviewee yesterday.

She was also not on top of her brief:

Line of questioning from Mishal Hussein on Eq Act suggests misunderstanding of the law. Clarifying sex means sex in the Eq Act does not prevent providers from providing some mixed-sex rape crisis services. It *allows* providers to provide single sex services without ambiguity....

Kemi Badenoch’s response made that clear. But the idea the law mandates service providers to provide one type of service only is completely wrong and no one should be implying that.

https://x.com/soniasodha/status/1797530045252256024

Love how all these lefties are waving away women's rights as "culture war".

So the debate is not about changing the Equality Act but clarifying what always was its intent. To defend women against discrimination and abuse and allow women only
    spaces and services. And all the noise and dismissive reactions are - probably wilfully - missing the point...

In doing so, we are seeing in plain sight just how easily women’s rights can be undermined by those who don’t understand them and care less. Just as well #Womenwontwheesht…

https://x.com/JohannLamont/status/1797634098841972753
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,430
    edited June 4
    IanB2 said:

biggles said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

That only happens if Farage wipes them out and realigns the right in his favour.

However Reform voters alone even then would not be enough to beat Labour, they would need some One Nation Tories too. If they went LD then Starmer could largely stay PM even if the economy went south by dividing the opposition between Farage and Reform on the right, the LDs and rump One Nation centrist Tories and the Greens to his left. In such a scenario FPTP would ironically be better for Starmer Labour than FPTP but PR now better for the Tories as well as ReformUK, the LDs and Greens
    On the other hand PR would probably make the break up of the right wing into separate parties a permanent state of affairs.

It would render a massive improvement to our political system a single costless stroke.

In any world where Labour has 380+ seats, PR is going to be pretty unattractive to Starmer (and doubly so his MPs).
    No, it’s more fundamental than that.

Once you’re in power you tend to think you’re the only one who can get it right, and keep the “others” out.

Having achieved power, it then becomes self evident that FPTP is good for you and not the other guys, and so it becomes one of “your” assets. In addition, any move to PR would lose a chunk if your current MPs their seats, and you need them on side because there’s always a faction plotting to replace you.

PR only looks attractive to a party clinging on to power by coalition, with no prospect of its own mandate. One more coalition and the Tories might have even gone for it after 2010, but that was overtaken by events.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,183
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Ghedebrav, last session of DnD went very well. Been going almost a year with this homebrew. Helps having good players (no "I am the main character" fools).

Saw the Farage announcement yesterday. I do wonder if this *might* be worse for Labour than the Conservatives. Anyone fully Faragian was not going to return to the Conservatives, but reluctant/soft Labour voters might jump ship his way. My suspicion is the overall numbers will play that way but it'll cost the Conservatives more by letting Labour in through the middle at plenty of seats (akin to UKIP versus Ed MIliband's Labour in 2015).
  • Options
    maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

And there still isnt a female leader.

The Conservatives had had 3, LSd one, Greems lots, SNP one, shit even the neanthedrals of Sinn Fein and the DUP have had female leaders,

But Labout ? Here luv go get the tea, the men are at work.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

So, to return to your post since it seems you might think you were being serious …

You know full well that Diane Abbot is not a particularly nice person. Just because she’s got black skin doesn’t mean she’s unimpeachable. She has a history of racist remarks and her previous comments were anti-semitic. She’s also a hypocrite, educating her children privately. She’s very left-wing which I don’t mind but some of her decision-making has been wayward.

The country’s about to get it’s first female Chancellor, Labour as it happens. But let’s leave the tokenism stuff please. It’s desperation. I don’t think the current Conservative Party can take the moral high ground when it comes to inclusivity which, clearly, is more than just over-promoting people who have black skin. Badenoch is a case in point. Clearly out of her depth as my friend Mishal showed yesterday.

Hopefully we move on from such tokenism. We need politicians of calibre no matter what their gender, social group, or colour background.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,028

Heathener said:

I really hope the genuinely decent people in the Conservative Party (of whom CR isn’t one) can wrestle back their Party.

Extremism of the Faragist-Sunak-Badenoch-Braverman-Tommy Robinson populist kind should appall all but the most nasty citizens.

LOL lefties have been wishing for the obliteration of the Conservaties for as long as I can remember now it seems possible you are all bricking it.

It is not the responsibility of the left to direct the reconstruction of the right and we should ignore Leon, if the right take a nastier turn, shaking his tush at us going "Oo, look what you made us do".

Even if they retain a fair number of MPs they are likely to take a Badenoch, Braverman turn, so throwing Farage into the mix isn't that different.

I want a decent Tory opposition, but the left cannot influence that, they can only defeat what is put in front of them.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,226
    maxh said:

My understanding is that turnout was surprisingly low in some of Modi's/BJP's heartlands. Hard to pick that up on polling I guess.
    That’s the great unknown in this election. If anti-Tory voters don’t turn out I can see a lot of seats remaining Tory, if Labour can get the vote out the results could be catastrophic for the Tories
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,136

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Ghedebrav, last session of DnD went very well. Been going almost a year with this homebrew. Helps having good players (no "I am the main character" fools).

Saw the Farage announcement yesterday. I do wonder if this *might* be worse for Labour than the Conservatives. Anyone fully Faragian was not going to return to the Conservatives, but reluctant/soft Labour voters might jump ship his way. My suspicion is the overall numbers will play that way but it'll cost the Conservatives more by letting Labour in through the middle at plenty of seats (akin to UKIP versus Ed MIliband's Labour in 2015).

The problem for Tories is that they have been promoting Faragist issues for some time , rather than taking him on. It won’t then be a huge surprise if Farage then hoovers up Tory votes conditioned to see Farages causes as mainstream. People who voted for Truss and Boris can vote for Farage.
  • Options

Heathener said:

The Conservatives need a drubbing, so they can realise where they've gone wrong over the last ten years.

But the country also needs a strong opposition - and if the worst case comes to fruition, who would that voice be? The Lib Dems? The SNP? The Tories?

Also, we'll be getting a load of new MPs in. I am a little nervous that some of these MPs might not be of a suitable standard.
    On current projections the country isnt going to have an opposition.

Even if the Cons come second theyll be spending most of the Parliamnent sorting their shit out and will be opposing very little. The opposition is more likely to be the awkward squad inside Labour.
  • Options
    Sorry @Big_G_NorthWales but I absolutely detest the current iteration of Conservative leaders and what they have done.

The evil they have deliberately stoked is appalling.

I hate them.

As does much of this country. As you’ll find out July 4th.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,691

Sunak is a nice guy, who loves his family, works hard and is a logical and competent administrator of government.

I know that's the image he presented as Chancellor, and he had a slick PR team behind him when all he had to do was dole out cash, but events since do not support that pretense any more.

A logical and competent administrator of government would not have ended up with Rwanda for example.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,552

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

The Conservatives had had 3, LSd one, Greems lots, SNP one, shit even the neanthedrals of Sinn Fein and the DUP have had female leaders,

Poor old Margaret Beckett, always forgotten.

(Technically, both were permanent leaders under the Labour Party rules, but yes, you're right in the real world.)

If Ed Miliband counts, being Jewish, towards an ethnic minority, then it looks even worse because the Conservatives had a Jewish leader as long ago as 1868.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Heathener said:

It is not the responsibility of the left to direct the reconstruction of the right and we should ignore Leon, if the right take a nastier turn, shaking his tush at us going "Oo, look what you made us do".

Even if they retain a fair number of MPs they are likely to take a Badenoch, Braverman turn, so throwing Farage into the mix isn't that different.

I want a decent Tory opposition, but the left cannot influence that, they can only defeat what is put in front of them.
    Why do you say you want a “decent opposition”? Surely if you’re in power, you want a dreadful and unelectable opposition so you get 20 years to remake the country in your image?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,043
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Really, Andy?

May I remind you of your prediction in Benpointer's Excellent Competition? NOM and Labour 290 seats you said. How are you going to cope with the humiliation?

If I were you I'd get out there now and start canvassing for Sunak.
    I went for NOM too.

I didn't think the Conservatives would be this useless nor Labour so well drilled.
    I did notice, Foxy, but well done for fessing up.

It will be taken into consideration when the show trials begin.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,888
    "Abandoned baby Elsa is third newborn to be deserted by same parents"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5115e7k2eno
  • Options
    @LOS_Fisher
    EXC: Trio of senior Tory donors (who’ve donated £5m+ to party) rule out funding Sunak’s election campaign

In striking move, the donors organised their own private polling, complaining they were mistrustful of Tory campaign figures’ claims that the situ was not as bad as public polling suggests

But their private survey aligned with the public polling, indicating the Tories are facing electoral rout

https://x.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1797873772340338815
  • Options

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

That’s all the Conservatives are now left with after 14 years …

I’m looking forward to the budget to be delivered by Britain’s first female Chancellor. But, hey ho, I don’t need to join tokenism.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

I’m looking forward to the budget to be delivered by Britain’s first female Chancellor. But, hey ho, I don’t need to join tokenism.
    Nice try but you still cant answer the question can you ?
  • Options
    How men are discussing proposed changes to the Equality Act:

𝘗𝘳𝘦-𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸:

@theJeremyVine: “Today…we will talk about the Equality Act and how it affects people who are trans.”

𝘋𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸:

@MForstater: “You said that this is about how the Equality Act affects trans people, but really it is about how the Equality Act affects women and girls.”

𝘗𝘰𝘴𝘵-𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸:

@theJeremyVine: “Thanks, Maya and Joanne, for discussing this difficult issue of how the law treats people who are trans.”

https://x.com/soppystern/status/1797593977744474583
  • Options

Jesus. That’s awful. And there are people out there who would give anything for a baby.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Sorry @Big_G_NorthWales but I absolutely detest the current iteration of Conservative leaders and what they have done.

I hate them.

Your anger is nothing compared with the aspirational working class who are flooding to the Conservatives following the introduction of VAT on private school fees...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,169
    Heathener said:

I hate them.

They have not 'deliberately stoked evil'. Don't be daft.

And while I have no doubt the Tories will be wiped out (my prediction is for well under 100 to be left standing), it will be impossible to infer from that anything other than a lack of people preferring them to the alternatives. I don't think the country 'hates' the Lib Dems yet I'm fairly confident the Tories will get more votes than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

One of the lessons of recent years is that the best leaders are chosen for reasons of competence rather than attempting representation.

Do you think Labour would be in the current position if they were led by Diane Abbott?

I notice too that looking at Labour's new intake it is going to be very diverse.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,084
    Heathener said:

I hate them.

You repeat your hate and yes labour are in an unassailable position and the public will move on

I just say again your attitude and hate is dangerous to the safety of public figures and we have seen two mps killed already through hate
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,833

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I was listening to an interview with the Chief Exec of the CBI this morning and after digesting it, being more and more angry about the state of the UK for a long time under all parties, I came to a conclusion that maybe only a good big majority for Starmer will have a chance of solving this.

It’s not because I think Starmer is particularly good or Labour are particularly talented but I will explain.

The Chief Exec of the CBI spent her whole interview discussing needing to bring in migrants to do jobs and to protect universities bringing in foreign students. This was effectively her solution to growth and all things. Now there might not have been the time but the interviewer never said “ hang on, where will they live, where will their dependents go to school, which hospitals and doctors will they use?”

It said so much about this country that there are so many loud groups who demand their particular needs are answered without considering, or at least with out owning up to the other costs of this. If she acknowledged this would require huge infrastructure development and then taxes raised to cover this then fine but as usual no.

So back to Starmer. Blair had a golden opportunity to change the country, not necessarily to my liking, but maybe that would work better for the way the country is. He wasted a huge majority because he was purely concerned with getting re-elected so didn’t want to scare the horses.

Starmer could walk away with such a huge majority that he can not only ignore the opposition but also the fringe groups in his own party.

Now this relies on Starmer being fairly sensible and centrist but he can set Wes Streeting loose on the NHS in a way the Tories never could argent away with, he can make it clear that if you want cheap care for you and your parents when old and decrepit we need to build dormitories for imported care workers, sorry NIMBys and people who reflexively think T’s unfair for immigrants to live in less than perfect conditions.

He can make a better Rwanda with the power to ignore the wing of his party who will block runways to stop deportations and can stand down civil service unions who refuse to process.

He can take a big punt on wealth taxes, he can say we aren’t going to have an adventurist defence policy so the military will focus, and therefore kit buying, on defending ourselves and Europe from Russia and terrorists.

The thing is if he does these radical things then the country will be very different long term, it won’t be my sort of country as I’m a small gov low tax kinda guy, but at least it stops the schizophrenic state we are in where everyone wants everything a high tax state does but everyone wants someone else to pay, everyone wants all their services but they want someone else to do it and they want them to live safely but they don’t want them living in their lovely town.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,795
    FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

The farcical national service policy sums up his lack of interest in people.

The idea that 18 year olds can give up a weekend a month to get an experience might work for people who can live off mummy and daddy's millions and have a gap year.

It doesn't work for normal people, who have a weekend job to pay the bills while they put themselves through university etc.

Or aren't in education but have instead already entered the world of work, many jobs suitable for 18 year old without qualifications of course including significant shift work at weekends.

It is an absurd and offensive policy that sums up just how out of touch Sunak and those who surround him are to have come up with such lunacy.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,806
    IanB2 said:

biggles said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

If we had the Single Transferable Vote system in Multi-Member constiuencies, then Starmer would not have to spend all his time removing candidates of whom he did not approve. The electorate could do that for him. Unless they liked the extreme Socialist candidates, of course.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

One of the lessons of recent years is that the best leaders are chosen for reasons of competence rather than attempting representation.

Do you think Labour would be in the current position if they were led by Diane Abbott?

I notice too that looking at Labour's new intake it is going to be very diverse.

I totally agree with you on getting rid of the "isms" People should get to where the get to on merit.

As for where Labour are, they have done little to get there, the Tories have pissed off the electorate and Labour have just kept their heads down. Credit to them for doing so but the current polling has little to do with what Starmer has actively done, As of today nobody has a clue what Starmers agenda will be,

• Options

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

Are you saying that Truss is somehow a model to follow and chalking up a load of failed leaders is somehow a good thing.

It’s easy to score more female leaders if you’re as incompetent as this government.

The Tories have had as many leaders since 2015 as Labour have had since 1994.
  • Options
    Tories looking longingly at Farage to revitalise them should remember his infallible judgement.

https://x.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1573278502790791168?t=IVwyCU93lwqpkEuP9xwMjA&s=19

"Today was the best Conservative budget since 1986."

Dated 23rd Sept 2022
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,028
    biggles said:

Pro_Rata said:

Heathener said:

Why do you say you want a “decent opposition”? Surely if you’re in power, you want a dreadful and unelectable opposition so you get 20 years to remake the country in your image?
    If, instead of Corbyn, Labour had provided higher quality opposition during the period 2015-20, many things could have happened differently, from no Brexit in the first place, to better coordination of the opposition to any one given deal, to possibly no fag packet Boris deal.

It's less crucial to the course of events if the government have a stonking majority, but I wouldn't wish poor opposition (which is not quite the same thing as the opposition looking like a credible government in waiting).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,467
    To add on...I was thinking about all the failing upwards and sideways in large UK organisations.

I am sure there is always a lot of who you know. But if you don't have any medium organisations, who do you pick from? You aren't going to hire as your new CEO of a FTSE 100 company, a bloke who ran a 20 man company. So limited pool and of course the good ones don't come on the market very often because they aren't getting the heave ho. So instead there is a cycle of failing sideways of the useless ones, as they have the experience for the job, but they got booted from the last one and the one before that and the one before that because they weren't very good.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

If we had the Single Transferable Vote system in Multi-Member constiuencies, then Starmer would not have to spend all his time removing candidates of whom he did not approve. The electorate could do that for him. Unless they liked the extreme Socialist candidates, of course.
    Except that isn’t how those constituencies work nowadays. Look at Ireland as an example a 5 seat constituency will have 3 sin rein candidates max to ensure hey all get elected. 2 many candidates and you run the risk that all your candidates get eliminated before the 2nd/3rd choice votes start to pile up and you win the seat…
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

Are you saying that Truss is somehow a model to follow and chalking up a load of failed leaders is somehow a good thing.

It’s easy to score more female leaders if you’re as incompetent as this government.

Of course, putting a woman or non-white in the top job is no guarantee of success. However the Cons arent the people running around criticising everyone else for not promoting women to the top job. Labour are just thoroughly hypocritical on the issue.

And since Labour refuse to lead by example maybe they should just keep quiet about it and enjoy their shame in private.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,004

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

If you are discounting stop gaps as being leader in name only then Liz Truss should also be discounted.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

Of course, putting a woman or non-white in the top job is no guarantee of success. However the Cons arent the people running around criticising everyone else for not promoting women to the top job. Labour are just thoroughly hypocritical on the issue.

And since Labour refuse to lead by example maybe they should just keep quiet about it and enjoy their shame in private.
    Not sure I see much in the experience of Truss, May, Sunak or Boris that I would advise any political party to copy.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

If you are discounting stop gaps as being leader in name only then Liz Truss should also be discounted.
    Happy to go with Thatcher and May.

Now tell me the Labour Female leader.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Jesus. That’s awful. And there are people out there who would give anything for a baby.
    I reckon it's a horrific case of sexual slavery, child abuse or similar, rather than some callous parents.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

I totally agree with you on getting rid of the "isms" People should get to where the get to on merit.

As for where Labour are, they have done little to get there, the Tories have pissed off the electorate and Labour have just kept their heads down. Credit to them for doing so but the current polling has little to do with what Starmer has actively done, As of today nobody has a clue what Starmers agenda will be,
    I would disagree. While the Tories shooting themselves regularly in the feet has unquestionably helped Labour, that isn't the whole story.

Starmer has managed in a little over 3 years a turnaround in his own party comparable to Liverpool coming back from 3 nil down to win the Champions League final. That requires both grit and talent.

I am no Starmer fan. He is wooden, has far too much instinct for centralisation and very limited vision, but what he excels at is organisational management.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

Not sure I see much in the experience of Truss, May, Sunak or Boris that I would advise any political party to copy.
    Maybe not, but you still cant name a Labour female leader can you ?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,992
    edited June 4
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

So, to return to your post since it seems you might think you were being serious …

You know full well that Diane Abbot is not a particularly nice person. Just because she’s got black skin doesn’t mean she’s unimpeachable. She has a history of racist remarks and her previous comments were anti-semitic. She’s also a hypocrite, educating her children privately. She’s very left-wing which I don’t mind but some of her decision-making has been wayward.

The country’s about to get it’s first female Chancellor, Labour as it happens. But let’s leave the tokenism stuff please. It’s desperation. I don’t think the current Conservative Party can take the moral high ground when it comes to inclusivity which, clearly, is more than just over-promoting people who have black skin. Badenoch is a case in point. Clearly out of her depth as my friend Mishal showed yesterday.

Hopefully we move on from such tokenism. We need politicians of calibre no matter what their gender, social group, or colour background.
    So it's important for Lab to have the country's first female Chancellor but any Cons woman or minority person holding high office is just tokenism.

Have I got that right.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,085
    Farage on Today this morning. Now I know I’m not his target market but it all seemed a bit old hat - a UKIP and Brexit tribute act with nothing particularly interesting to say. Is that really going to be the game changer the Tories seem petrified of?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,992

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

The idea that 18 year olds can give up a weekend a month to get an experience might work for people who can live off mummy and daddy's millions and have a gap year.

It doesn't work for normal people, who have a weekend job to pay the bills while they put themselves through university etc.

Or aren't in education but have instead already entered the world of work, many jobs suitable for 18 year old without qualifications of course including significant shift work at weekends.

It is an absurd and offensive policy that sums up just how out of touch Sunak and those who surround him are to have come up with such lunacy.
    As I have noted previously, it is an immensely useful policy because it allows those who were a bit will I/won't I about voting Cons now unambiguously to commit to not voting for them under any circumstances.

So there is that.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,338

However the Cons arent the people running around criticising everyone else for not promoting women to the top job.

That's exactly what you've been doing. A late, but fervent, convert to the cause of identity politics.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,198

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

Well, this is an edifying and riveting conversation.

Sally Smith. You wouldn’t know her, she goes to a different Houses of Parliament.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,163

Good morning, everyone.

Morning! I can only reference a small number of seats which I saw directly, but in 2019 the damage done by the Brexit Party was heavily onto the Tories. Seat after seat after seat where Labour clung on with BXP having more votes than the Tory majority.

John Curtice was interviewed yesterday and said that the polls and the local election results suggest this time about the threat is - once again - predominantly to the Tories.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

I would disagree. While the Tories shooting themselves regularly in the feet has unquestionably helped Labour, that isn't the whole story.

Starmer has managed in a little over 3 years a turnaround in his own party comparable to Liverpool coming back from 3 nil down to win the Champions League final. That requires both grit and talent.

I am no Starmer fan. He is wooden, has far too much instinct for centralisation and very limited vision, but what he excels at is organisational management.
    I'm afraid I dont see that, the skills needed to run a country when "events" are forcing you in several different directions at once are different from moving a few people about in an organisation you head.

What we have seen of Starmer was he would have pushed lockdown much harder and longer so we would be paying bigger price now. And his party management was looking fragile this week with Abbott. He's asking us to interpret silence as ability, I suspect it isnt - but I would say that.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,806
    eek said:

ClippP said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Except that isn’t how those constituencies work nowadays. Look at Ireland as an example a 5 seat constituency will have 3 sin rein candidates max to ensure hey all get elected. 2 many candidates and you run the risk that all your candidates get eliminated before the 2nd/3rd choice votes start to pile up and you win the seat…
    I just do not believe you, Mr Eek. Sorry.

If people want to elect SF candidates, then they will vote for them all and rank them in order of preference. SF would start to lose out only if the electorate found candidates of other parties more attractive than the other SF ones.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,085

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

The Lib Dems of course have 9 women MPs out of 15. Our female leader last time round wasn’t perhaps the most triumphant debut but our next leader will also be a woman.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

There’s a lot in Boris, presentationally, that all politicians would love to copy. And Farage. And Corbyn. And Galloway. Blair, Cameron, and people like Ken Clarke too.

Not many politics have IT, whatever IT is.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

biggles said:

I reckon it's a horrific case of sexual slavery, child abuse or similar, rather than some callous parents.
    Yeah that sounds reasonable. I just hope they can do something to cross-reference the DNA and try to find them.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

However the Cons arent the people running around criticising everyone else for not promoting women to the top job.

That's exactly what you've been doing. A late, but fervent, convert to the cause of identity politics.
    Only in your head.

• Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

I'm afraid I dont see that, the skills needed to run a country when "events" are forcing you in several different directions at once are different from moving a few people about in an organisation you head.

What we have seen of Starmer was he would have pushed lockdown much harder and longer so we would be paying bigger price now. And his party management was looking fragile this week with Abbott. He's asking us to interpret silence as ability, I suspect it isnt - but I would say that.
    We might well have locked down earlier and therefore, by the consequence of exponential growth, far shorter. Certainly far less political blathering around and party vibes than Boris.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

Pro_Rata said:

Heathener said:

If, instead of Corbyn, Labour had provided higher quality opposition during the period 2015-20, many things could have happened differently, from no Brexit in the first place, to better coordination of the opposition to any one given deal, to possibly no fag packet Boris deal.

It's less crucial to the course of events if the government have a stonking majority, but I wouldn't wish poor opposition (which is not quite the same thing as the opposition looking like a credible government in waiting).
    This is a line I have touting for a long time, PR. Good Opposition helps with Good Government. It is for that reason I would have preferred to see the Conservatives in opposition to a Labour Government with a small majority.

It's not use wishing for this now. It ain't gonna happen. Next best scenario is that the Conservatives are reduced to such a small rump that they go off and think seriously about what their purpose is, how they managed to be the most successful political party in western democracy for hundreds of years, and figure how to rebuild on a more secure base so that they can be a reasonable alternative to whatever hegemony has estabished itself in their absence.

Following yesterday's Farageness, it sems they may be starting out on that path now,
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,152

He said the "growing range of pressures on the next education secretary's to-do list" also included school building repair backlogs and the rising number of children with special educational needs and disabilities (Send).

The number of children with the highest levels of Send has increased by more than 60% since 2015 - driving a £3.5bn increase in the high-needs budget, the report says. That has used up nearly half of the £7.6bn increase in school spending in the same time period.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c133gem0m78o

It’s almost as if something happened around 2012-13, that caused an explosion in the number of teenagers with acute mental health issues.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

Harman was leader longer than Truss.
    As said downthread stopgaps dont count.

Name a female leader.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,800
    TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

So it's important for Lab to have the country's first female Chancellor but any Cons woman or minority person holding high office is just tokenism.

Have I got that right.
    Yes.

You still get people claiming that Thatcher didn’t count a female PM, because she didn’t identify with the correct politics.

A while back, the Guardian had an opinion column on the problem of Hindu Indians - too successful and voting for the wrong things to be considered “real” minorities.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

eek said:

ClippP said:

IanB2 said:

biggles said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I just do not believe you, Mr Eek. Sorry.

If people want to elect SF candidates, then they will vote for them all and rank them in order of preference. SF would start to lose out only if the electorate found candidates of other parties more attractive than the other SF ones.
    Go and look at how those elections work, simply put every party will put up the number of candidates they expect to win. that miscalculation is why SF haven’t been in power in Dublin for the past 3 years, they could have won 20 more seats but didn’t put the candidates it.
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

Don’t forget Sue Grey, and presumably the likes of Mandelson behind the scenes. He’s had access to the A-team.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,324

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Have the Tories not come up with some provision making it illegal for employers to discriminate/sack the conscripts? That used to be the case with the TA, IIRC.

If they haven't, then that just adds to the impression that the proffered porridge is lacking in salt, and in oatmeal too - thin gruel.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

FT this morning reports the critical lack of a workforce in the construction industry. Practically everyone bar the bloody Tories agrees that our infrastructure is crumbling or absent, but even if the next government pushes the Go button and funds it, we just don't have the people or the skills. The company who built the Co-op Live Arena points out that a chunk of the delays at the end was that they couldn't hire people at any cost on any wage.

Instead of idiotic dogwhistle national service proposals, we need to focus on how we invest in young people to become the workforce this country needs to build its way out of the mess we are in.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

Well, this is an edifying and riveting conversation.

Sally Smith. You wouldn’t know her, she goes to a different Houses of Parliament.
    Not head of the party, so again name that leader.

• Options

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

FT this morning reports the critical lack of a workforce in the construction industry. Practically everyone bar the bloody Tories agrees that our infrastructure is crumbling or absent, but even if the next government pushes the Go button and funds it, we just don't have the people or the skills. The company who built the Co-op Live Arena points out that a chunk of the delays at the end was that they couldn't hire people at any cost on any wage.

Instead of idiotic dogwhistle national service proposals, we need to focus on how we invest in young people to become the workforce this country needs to build its way out of the mess we are in.
    Agreed, it's one of the reasons Starmer has no chance of a housebuilding scheme.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,915

Donald Trump has raised $200 million since the former president was found guilty of 34 felonies last Thursday,

Trump has found a nice little racket. Why should he give the suckers an even break?
    PM Farage with POTUS Trump could be interesting.
    And a couple of posts later, there's my point about fantasies confirmed.
  • Options
    edited June 4

Good morning, everyone.

Morning! I can only reference a small number of seats which I saw directly, but in 2019 the damage done by the Brexit Party was heavily onto the Tories. Seat after seat after seat where Labour clung on with BXP having more votes than the Tory majority.

John Curtice was interviewed yesterday and said that the polls and the local election results suggest this time about the threat is - once again - predominantly to the Tories.
    We’ll never know, but I’m not sure about that. I don’t think those residual Brexit Party voters were ever going to vote Tory, but by not voting Labour they helped the Tories in many places.

I can see an argument that maybe, at 20-25% in the polls the Tories have leaked all they can to Reform anyway, and Farage is now fishing in the Labour pond. Starmer wins 36/26 and we get some really odd results.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,467
    Sandpit said:

He said the "growing range of pressures on the next education secretary's to-do list" also included school building repair backlogs and the rising number of children with special educational needs and disabilities (Send).

The number of children with the highest levels of Send has increased by more than 60% since 2015 - driving a £3.5bn increase in the high-needs budget, the report says. That has used up nearly half of the £7.6bn increase in school spending in the same time period.

It’s almost as if something happened around 2012-13, that caused an explosion in the number of teenagers with acute mental health issues.
    Somebody has been listening to Jonathan Haidt.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I was listening to an interview with the Chief Exec of the CBI this morning and after digesting it, being more and more angry about the state of the UK for a long time under all parties, I came to a conclusion that maybe only a good big majority for Starmer will have a chance of solving this.

It’s not because I think Starmer is particularly good or Labour are particularly talented but I will explain.

The Chief Exec of the CBI spent her whole interview discussing needing to bring in migrants to do jobs and to protect universities bringing in foreign students. This was effectively her solution to growth and all things. Now there might not have been the time but the interviewer never said “ hang on, where will they live, where will their dependents go to school, which hospitals and doctors will they use?”

It said so much about this country that there are so many loud groups who demand their particular needs are answered without considering, or at least with out owning up to the other costs of this. If she acknowledged this would require huge infrastructure development and then taxes raised to cover this then fine but as usual no.

So back to Starmer. Blair had a golden opportunity to change the country, not necessarily to my liking, but maybe that would work better for the way the country is. He wasted a huge majority because he was purely concerned with getting re-elected so didn’t want to scare the horses.

Starmer could walk away with such a huge majority that he can not only ignore the opposition but also the fringe groups in his own party.

Now this relies on Starmer being fairly sensible and centrist but he can set Wes Streeting loose on the NHS in a way the Tories never could argent away with, he can make it clear that if you want cheap care for you and your parents when old and decrepit we need to build dormitories for imported care workers, sorry NIMBys and people who reflexively think T’s unfair for immigrants to live in less than perfect conditions.

He can make a better Rwanda with the power to ignore the wing of his party who will block runways to stop deportations and can stand down civil service unions who refuse to process.

He can take a big punt on wealth taxes, he can say we aren’t going to have an adventurist defence policy so the military will focus, and therefore kit buying, on defending ourselves and Europe from Russia and terrorists.

The thing is if he does these radical things then the country will be very different long term, it won’t be my sort of country as I’m a small gov low tax kinda guy, but at least it stops the schizophrenic state we are in where everyone wants everything a high tax state does but everyone wants someone else to pay, everyone wants all their services but they want someone else to do it and they want them to live safely but they don’t want them living in their lovely town.
    Yes, I can recommend your post to anyone who wants reasons to be cheerful this morning.

Like you, I am sceptical this will happen, but I can toss in another couple of reasons for hope.

Starmer isn't a socialist, and he's not ideological. He is in essence a pragmatist.

Let's wish him good luck. He's going to need it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,773
    Eabhal said:

In the past 50 years, Tokyo has built more new homes than the *total* number of homes in New York City.

https://x.com/sam_d_1995/status/1797415566094807375

Here's a riddle for PB this morning. London stats, 2011 - 2021.

Population + 7.7%
    Households + 4.6%
    Dwellings + 10.7%
    House prices + 72%
    London is a bit sui generis, because it's seen a lot of foreign investment in owning property as a way of storing wealth overseas.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    Heathener said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Oh lord …

I don't care who delivers the budget as long as they are competent and do a good job.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Donald Trump has raised $200 million since the former president was found guilty of 34 felonies last Thursday,

Trump has found a nice little racket. Why should he give the suckers an even break?
    PM Farage with POTUS Trump could be interesting.
    And a couple of posts later, there's my point about fantasies confirmed.
    you miss the point, that is your fanstasy to keep you awake at night.

you wont get better quality trolling on other websites you know.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,917
    Sandpit said:

What's that then? (Genuine question - all I can think of is the Olympics!)
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,883
    biggles said:

Good morning, everyone.

We’ll never know, but I’m not sure about that. I don’t think those residual Brexit Party voters were ever going to vote Tory, but by not voting Labour they helped the Tories in many places.

I can see an argument that maybe, at 20-25% in the polls the Tories have leaked all they can to Reform anyway, and Farage is now fishing in the Labour pond. Starmer wins 36/26 and we get some really odd results.
    Local elections results this year suggested that Reform UK takes mostly from the Conservative vote, and they were when the Tory vote was already low. So I think the evidence disputes that argument.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,450

Good morning, everyone.

The other problem is how it affects the Conservative campaign.

The theory, and it's been mentioned here by people plugged into the Conservative party, was to spend weeks 1 and 2 winning back Reform voters and shoring up the right flank. Then move the focus to winning voters back from Labour.

That wasn't particularly working, but the Farage explosion has completely put that strategy through the shredder.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Have the Tories not come up with some provision making it illegal for employers to discriminate/sack the conscripts? That used to be the case with the TA, IIRC.

If they haven't, then that just adds to the impression that the proffered porridge is lacking in salt, and in oatmeal too - thin gruel.
    They might do, but in general it would put off some employers from employing 18 year olds at all, or those who would be 18 in the future, in anticipation of the government purloining the time of those people.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,833
    edited June 4

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Easily solved, National Service (Building) Regiment. 30,000 18 year olds spend a year learning building skills and get posted off to far flung outposts of the realm to knock up ore-fabricated houses. They can traine at the Unis that go bust which will be turned into Building Camps where they will be fed and housed for the duration of their service.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Somebody has been listening to Jonathan Haidt.
    A bit hard to claim that the rise in numbers of SEND is smartphones surely?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,883
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

I presume Sandpit means smartphones? Although one could also point a finger at austerity perhaps.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

maxh said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

But I get your point.
    Stopgaps dont count.

Poor old Margaret Beckett, always forgotten.

(Technically, both were permanent leaders under the Labour Party rules, but yes, you're right in the real world.)

If Ed Miliband counts, being Jewish, towards an ethnic minority, then it looks even worse because the Conservatives had a Jewish leader as long ago as 1868.
    Though he was an Anglican from childhood.
  • Options
    edited June 4

biggles said:

Good morning, everyone.

Local elections results this year suggested that Reform UK takes mostly from the Conservative vote, and they were when the Tory vote was already low. So I think the evidence disputes that argument.
    Yes but I am saying that could be priced in, and anything extra Farage might get on top comes from Labour. Just a possibility.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,152
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Facebook arriving on kids’ phones.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

Don’t forget Sue Grey, and presumably the likes of Mandelson behind the scenes. He’s had access to the A-team.
    One of the most important leadership skills is surrounding yourself with quality people who can do things for you.

Big leadership jobs really don't suit micromanagers like Brown and May. I think Sunak is in that set too.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,173
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Y

As I have noted previously, it is an immensely useful policy because it allows those who were a bit will I/won't I about voting Cons now unambiguously to commit to not voting for them under any circumstances.

So there is that.
    They shoulda gone full-on “You’re in the army now”

12 months of learning to shoot Jonny Russian, and droning people in dusty lands. No ifs no buts, the army, or deportation to the South Sandwich Islands to look after albatross eggs

Hopefully, Prime Minister Farage will bring this in, alongside his new bessies President Le Pen, Prime Minister Meloni and Dutch Premier Wilders

A New Order Arises. Rejoice
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Y

So there is that.
    They shoulda gone full-on “You’re in the army now”

12 months of learning to shoot Jonny Russian, and droning people in dusty lands. No ifs no buts, the army, or deportation to the South Sandwich Islands to look after albatross eggs

Hopefully, Prime Minister Farage will bring this in, alongside his new bessies President Le Pen, Prime Minister Meloni and Dutch Premier Wilders

A New Order Arises. Rejoice
    Heh. PM Farage super-charges European collaboration. It’s just the “wrong” sort of European collaboration for those who’ve been dreaming about it. Would be amusing.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

The other problem is how it affects the Conservative campaign.

The theory, and it's been mentioned here by people plugged into the Conservative party, was to spend weeks 1 and 2 winning back Reform voters and shoring up the right flank. Then move the focus to winning voters back from Labour.

That wasn't particularly working, but the Farage explosion has completely put that strategy through the shredder.
    Now the Tories will tack very hard to the hard right to try and see off Farage. Which will drive non-mad voters away for the LibDems to pick off.

A great day for E.L.E. yesterday!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

Naughty boy.
    Ok

Have I got that right.
    Yes.

You still get people claiming that Thatcher didn’t count a female PM, because she didn’t identify with the correct politics.

A while back, the Guardian had an opinion column on the problem of Hindu Indians - too successful and voting for the wrong things to be considered “real” minorities.
    Of course she counts - but as with everything else about her legacy, that as female role model is a mix of the good and the bad.

Unlike most who are interested in politics, I neither worship nor despise her.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,917
    Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Facebook arriving on kids’ phones.
    Ah yes, that would do it!
This discussion has been closed.